AMCA News and Discussions

Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: AMCA News and Discussions

Post by Singha »

ideally I think one needs two eqpt - the top one for a2a and bottom one for a2g and supplementary lookdown a2a like covering the rear side if possible using a rotating assembly. but nobody has it.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

From this angle, are the intakes and nose/cockpit looks more like PAK-FA or F-22? It seems there are testing various permutation and combination for the AMCA. Rear end fuselage and vertical stabilizesr very much look like F-18.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

can anyone explain how this edge alignment thing helps to reduce RCS ? does it restrict the number of angles from which a emitting radar will get a +ve reflection from the plane vs a tangle of unaligned edges?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Planform alignment is also often used in stealth designs. Planform alignment involves using a small number of surface orientations in the shape of the structure. For example, on the F-22A Raptor, the leading edges of the wing and the tail surfaces are set at the same angle. Careful inspection shows that many small structures, such as the air intake bypass doors and the air refueling aperture, also use the same angles. The effect of planform alignment is to return a radar signal in a very specific direction away from the radar emitter rather than returning a diffuse signal detectable at many angles.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

As a form of passive optical ranging, wondering if offset reads from two or more widely separated (wingtips, fin tip etc) IR sensors can be used instead of lasers? Even better would be two silent crafts widely spaced, but sharing the data of their sensors over the datalink to form a sort of really wide parallax rangefinder.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

F35 EO DAS configuration is ideal for AMCA. Since we have already cornering on F35 comparability, we should see AMCA as F35++, while it can be a raptoriski.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Gagan wrote:Shiv Aroor gets it drawn by a Graphics Artist.

The AMCA drawing is not accurate. The vertical stabilizer (rudders) and the Elevators are wrongly drawn.
That is a scan of the official pamphlet from the (ADA?) stall, not Shiv Aroor's creation.
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Rahul M wrote:
Venkarl wrote:
image doesn't appear. from some pvt channel ?
Sorry Sir..here it is

looks like these folks developed it

Clicky
Drishyaman
BRFite

Post by Drishyaman »

^^^Not impressed with the rendering. Looks like they squeezed the a**
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

^^^i asked about that too here only....:-P
like no spacing between engines
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Drishyaman wrote:^^^Not impressed with the rendering. Looks like they squeezed the a**
I am unable to understand your statement. Are you disappointed with the CG artist for doing a sub par work or do you find the AMCA's design unimpressive?
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

Comparing the F22,F35 and PAK-FA with AMCA, the latter's horizontal tail fins looks puny (and IMHO a bit small in proportion). Moreover there is a gap between where the wings end and from where the tail fins start.

Newbie question: What is the optimum angle at which the canted vertical tail fins could be placed?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Avinandan wrote:Comparing the F22,F35 and PAK-FA with AMCA, the latter's horizontal tail fins looks puny (and IMHO a bit small in proportion). Moreover there is a gap between where the wings end and from where the tail fins start.
Yes, the size of horizontal stabalizer is small. However, what effect will that have is unknown to me.
But regarding to the gap, even F-35 has it. But how is that determental for the aircraft?
Avinandan wrote: Newbie question: What is the optimum angle at which the canted vertical tail fins could be placed?
PAK-FA and F-22 seem to have their vertical stabalizers canted at 65 degree while F-35 has them canted at 70 degree.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I guess it will have all moving tails. Avinandan, PAKFA tail is also tiny.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Rahul M wrote:I guess it will have all moving tails. Avinandan, PAKFA tail is also tiny.
He is talking about horizontal stabalizers. Those of PAK-FA's are huge.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

The AMCA is still very much on the Drawing board. The final airframe might look very different from the model displayed at AI. They'll obviously change the size and shape of the control surfaces if necessary based on the wind-tunnel tests.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

hmm, it does look kinda small.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

nachiket wrote:The AMCA is still very much on the Drawing board. The final airframe might look very different from the model displayed at AI. They'll obviously change the size and shape of the control surfaces if necessary based on the wind-tunnel tests.
Of course. Was it not reported (in Broadsword or Livefist?) that ADA is still in the process of analizing different permutations and all this will take another year or so before some basic idea of the final design will be decided?
Considering that AMCA is supposed to make its maiden flight after a decade, it only makes sense that the final design will be very different.
vardhank
BRFite

Post by vardhank »

Gurus, a couple of questions on the AMCA design:

1) It looks a lovely, perfectly optimised VLO design, with a minimum number of edges, wings and horizontal stabilisers in one line, etc. Not even the PAK-FA looks quite that smooth. Is this just a good example of learning from others' mistakes, or is this a very optimistic design that we're likely to have to change for, say, aero reasons? (For example, there were, IIRC, very good reasons why the PAK-FA had its horizontal stabs slightly below the line of the main wing and not in the same line - so have we overcome that, or have we just gone for a different aero setup?)
2) Why not a Russian-style wide-body design, like the PAK-FA? Wouldn't it simply make for larger internal weapons bays? If we take Gagan's rendition as being accurate, the AMCA would only have space for two WVR missiles, nothing more. Or would a wide-body design mean bad news for weight and stealth?
3) Can someone come up with a laundry list (which we can tick off as time goes by) of tech that we would need to develop to achieve the VLO characteristics we're looking for?

And on a related note, it's good to see the enthusiasm (hopefully in the armed forces as well) for a stealth jet - but what are we doing to develop tech to find/track/kill enemy stealth fighters? Do we have any such projects in the pipeline?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I guess that we'll be speculating for aeons here! The real "meat" of the moment will be when the prototype first takes to the air.To achieve that,the engine has to also be picked/developed! I think that the FGFA programme will have a huge bearing upon the AMCA,which will in effect be a smaller stealth FGFA,benefiting from the results achieved with the FGFA.As of now,there are only three nations with an FGFA in service/in the works.The US,Russia/India and China.
Drishyaman
BRFite

Post by Drishyaman »

Gaur wrote:
Drishyaman wrote:^^^Not impressed with the rendering. Looks like they squeezed the a**
I am unable to understand your statement. Are you disappointed with the CG artist for doing a sub par work or do you find the AMCA's design unimpressive?
Gaur Ji,
I did not like the artist's work. Look at the back end of AMCA drawing, it looks like the artist constricted that. The Model at AeroIndia 2011 looked attractive.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

KrishG wrote:Image

Joint Direct Attack Munitions - JDAMs?

Where did that come from?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

All the CG deisgns of AMCA are very different from the model! :-o

Either the display model is wrong or the CGs are wrong. Aren't both the display and the 3d model not made by ADA folks themselves? If so, then god only knows if even one of them are accurate!

Personally, I feel that the display model is more accurate. This is because the nose has uncanny resembelence to PAKFA (which makes sense) but on the other hand the horizontal stabalizers on the display model look all wrong! :-?
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

Atleast the advertising poster seems to be up to scratch.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
Which one?
Both of the above 3D models are different from the display model.

As for the one posted by Venkarl, I really do not think that the model was created digitally (3d or otherwise) by the artist. It looks like a PS job to me and a very bad one at that. I am pretty sure that the artist just used a AMCA display model pic, skewed it in PS to make his work easier and then applied a texture layer while using generous amount of F-22 pics for copy paste job.

Sure, I have hardly any right to criticise as I am not much good myself but you would think that the proffessionals would know better. More than that, one would hope that ADA would know better than to create this kind of confusion regarding their premiere proposal during the most prestegious Indian airshow when the whole world is watching!

Or may be I am underestimating the SDRE folks at ADA. Maybe all this confusion and seemingly PR incompetence is some form of chankian strategy too complex for our minds to fathom. :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

The plane can change shape
Mike
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mike »

I agree that it is a very elegant yet simple design. I think we, as a nation, has no issue about doing it given our opportunities for international cooperation. The final plan definitely would have more details, but I do expect it to be like a F35 kind of skin smoothness
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

handsomemwl wrote:I agree that it is a very elegant yet simple design. I think we, as a nation, has no issue about doing it given our opportunities for international cooperation. The final plan definitely would have more details, but I do expect it to be like a F35 kind of skin smoothness
:mrgreen: i wont say anything .
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Drishyaman wrote: I did not like the artist's work. Look at the back end of AMCA drawing, it looks like the artist constricted that. The Model at AeroIndia 2011 looked attractive.
In fact the man standing next to the AMCA model told me that the main change from the 2009 model and the new one is the segment cut out of the tailplane. The graphic may be from the old model.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

shiv wrote:
Drishyaman wrote: I did not like the artist's work. Look at the back end of AMCA drawing, it looks like the artist constricted that. The Model at AeroIndia 2011 looked attractive.
In fact the man standing next to the AMCA model told me that the main change from the 2009 model and the new one is the segment cut out of the tailplane. The graphic may be from the old model.
Shivji, that man has been dozing over the last few years.
1. Compare the front fuselage, air intakes, vertical stabilizers. They are moons apart. Not even small changes.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Gallery Updated

AMCA (2 Pages)

Added to Brochures section
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

^^Why they(DRDO) were sleeping till now, waiting for chinks to do it first,or they will blame someone else this time?
“Based on the feasibility study, ADA would be able to define technologies required for the aircraft along with the timelines for design and development and subsequent manufacturing. The feasibility study is expected to take about 18 months,” he said.
Here feasibility study doesnt means that the work on actual project will start from the 19th month ... :( :roll:
GeorgeM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by GeorgeM »

Samay wrote:^^Why they(DRDO) were sleeping till now, waiting for chinks to do it first,or they will blame someone else this time?
“Based on the feasibility study, ADA would be able to define technologies required for the aircraft along with the timelines for design and development and subsequent manufacturing. The feasibility study is expected to take about 18 months,” he said.
Here feasibility study doesnt means that the work on actual project will start from the 19th month ... :( :roll:
If you look at some of the enterprises with a more robust Program Management, one can see that they spend 50 -70% of the Prod Dev cycle time in the 'early phase', which is feasibility studies, technology path and concept down-select. This is what dictates bulk of the production cost also. So DRDO spending 18 months for feasibilty tells me that they have clearly become mature in program management and the 2017-2018 timeline now seems more realistic.
Here is how it might play out. By end of 2012 they could complete the feasibilty study and by mid to late 2013 they may even down-select the finalized concept. Then all these experience they gained from LCA testing, manufacturing etc will begin to show up. I think 2017 is looking pretty good.
Gurinder P
BRFite

Post by Gurinder P »

Samay wrote:^^Why they(DRDO) were sleeping till now, waiting for chinks to do it first,or they will blame someone else this time?
Patience is a virtue, even the Dark side taught it.

Think about programming for example, majority of time spent is during conceptual design phase and debugging at the end. Same can go for aircraft design
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Does any of the fighter manufacturing biggies do Micro Fighter radio-controlled planes along with wind tunnel models? Is it worth to collect data from the micro fighters? context: shape design for the expected mach level.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

It seems that ADA is to be cursed either way. If they were to conjure up a PR plane with no edge allignement, no internal bays and a box for a fuselage, half of us would be ridiculing the incompetent SDREs at ADA.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

A great part of the problem is created by you yourself:
Why they(DRDO) were sleeping till now, waiting for chinks to do it first
If you had followed the progress of the MCA and then the AMCA (and perhaps Kaveri, etc) such comments would not be made.

The Chinese effort has been known for a very long time, just that their product has been brought in the open only recently. (I am not sure if it has even flown since the 15 minute flight, which is another topic.) China is expected to come out with a 5th gen in about 2020 and India with the AMCA around 2022-25.

Different planes for different uses, so I normally do not compare such planes. However, this one time I am willing to bet that the AMCA will trump the J-20.