Two-G (2G) Spectrum Scam Tapes and follow-up

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jaibhim
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Two-G (2G) Spectrum Scam Tapes and follow-up

Post by jaibhim »

Viewing from a distance it appears, to be a case of match fixing even an pre-determined script with a slight detour in the end[the constituents of which apart from the Baba and dubious sanghi outfits, are not yet clear with regard to their identity]. There could be much more than what might be meeting the immediate empiricist sensory perception of the eye. Ordinary people living in the panopticon, can never understand the games of those endowed with power. It is better instead, to be comfortably numb and chill out ! There could be many honest people and the poor who do not live to tell their tale. Wonder why so much coverage is given on this affair to drive TRP's up, given the fact that all of them are the same in the land called jaya bharata janani tanujate jay jay hai karantaka....etc etc.

Come on, as a socialite and other concerned citizens and activists, might tell come on Barkha it's not fair :) Would this instead cause their TRP's to soar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqlCX26 ... re=related
jaibhim
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jaibhim »

Mr.Ajatshatru, Forgive me if I have offended you in any way. I am very sceptical of the sangh just as I am of supersonic riders. The sangh's hands are not exactly clean and perhaps it is quite plausible that some of them are tainted with blood.
You did not notice the black humour directed at the system, the hyper-real nature[Jean Baudillard] of the times we live in needing many live exciting shows, that needs events like this to come alive. In the second line and the sarcasm of the post, expressed a thought many were discussing regarding the protest, the subsequent swoop was stage all arranged by all the parties[there have been allegations of how political parties sponsored his earlier agitations], but things went wrong and the gullible public were caught in the cross fire.

There is little attempt by the english media, to illuminate what this civil society means. Does it means these strange bedfellows are only the two camps who will still work together[Mr. Bhushan has rendered a yeoman's service regarding the 2g scam, but I understand that he sympathises with Arundhati]? Does it mean civil society is not those who are killed for rti, and various other reasons who do not come under Barkha or IBN live's glare, because they stood up for integrity? While it is heartbreaking to see ordinary people being evicted the way they did, one gets the impression the media coverage is not really about the ordinary people but for to convey what it has been told to do so not to disturb the power apparatus or pursue TRPs, there is nothing new in the coverage because they are belting out the same thing. I am only advocating reason and reigning in on emotions even as one discusses the midnight swoop. Being an analytical forum who I imagine comprises of exceptional people who have no other interest other than dedication to the idea of a strong liberal India, I hope trying to accuse some party[that is the reference to a famous Kannada song regarding Karnataka whose recent events we are aware of] and say difficult things with a lot of meaning behind and giving a reading reference or two to follow up as we learn from each other, is not heresy?
For those who know tamil today's events are best summarised by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hovexReM8X0
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

^ anna yelluva conspiracy antha ignore maada bedda, swalpa cool aagi yochane maadi nodu

inthe nimma preethiya birather :mrgreen:
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Congress should send Dig Vijay Singh home. Is he defending his Swiss Bank account? Government should go with full reform against the corruption making everyone accountable. IF taking Ram dev's or Anna's suggestions means abolishing corruption altogether, then what hinders the congress. If not they will face the fate of DMK in TN.
jaibhim
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jaibhim »

I am only trying to be very courteous and friendly Mr.Ajatshatru, and I have no where assumed attributes, values or ideological attachments about a person whose identity, I have little idea. I am trying to join in the conversation. I write in an academic manner because I am in the process of becoming one, it could on some occasions become embedded as a virtue of habit.

I am sure styles that, could be considered otiose would be allowed to join the milieu of diverse repertoires of writing here. It might be the case that were someone sympathetic to the cause of such organizations, being democratic would only amount to respecting those beliefs without reacting to them at that juncture. You had asked a question of the sangh being dubious. The sangh is in my opinion epitomizes a certain flavour out of whose horrors, India is just about trying to turn its back on in her religion, caste-class political economic history after 1947. I would not like to go in detail about it here because there is a vast body of academic literature. It is best people are left to sort out what the believe in themselves because babas,mullahs and all kinds of apostles should not overdetermine the polity of the country. Apropos to your query of playing to the gallery, I play to none because I have little to gain from it and I do not occupy or aspire to such positions of power. My critique towards a certain ideological firmament should you think I am part of them, is totally unfounded. I come from the tradition of Karl Popper and Fouculdian strand of thought that is actually quite embedded in Indian lexicon, and I am hopeful that should answer your query.

My love for the subject of strategic studies and the analytical social sciences brought me here and more over a deep abiding concern for India, made me think that I have finally after much wandering found similar tribesmen. For most posts, I am just a silent mindful observer. Coming to think of it, colorful language is used in other posts exceeds my limited attempt to capture the difficult phase of India 'tainted with blood whose antecedents' in the post independence, political history of India. Thanks for your observation. However, you might want to apply your apposite observation of sweeping statements of fact versus unsupported statement of value, to other member's posts as well who are new to the forum. There needs another generation whose intellect and analytical prowess be mentored because old timers need to leave sometime, transfer their intellectual powers and I would be inclined to think that a top-gun analyst is not born overnight? A gentle suggestion could do the work of more colourful journalistic language of pointing towards organisations or individuals and if we reverse the old english adage, even patriotism requires reason and reflection to survive.
Many here have their skills, experience and data which I do not have purview to, I have mine. I am only trying to learn and share what little I know. It is my aspiration, to see that BR embodies a veritable powerhouse containing within it a repository of scholarly arguments; that foresee India's geo-political challenges using reason and analysis marshaling diverse disciplines in addition to becoming a kind of almanac to return to again and take i. This will render the distance between other jingoistic forums who live in lala land, whose existence we are well aware of their existence and BR impossible to traverse. The days of singing the battle hymn of the republic and marching to the theatre to the best of my meagre knowledge are fast receding.
I beg pardon, if my posts were not contingent to that direction. I am also sorry for occupying space and veering off-topic because this topic is about 2g and not the subject arguments and counter-arguments posited above. Thank you.
Last edited by jaibhim on 05 Jun 2011 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

jaibhimji,
the aspersions you impute to the sangh might have 'some' validity.

The Sangh is as much indigenous to the nation as any other organisation.It also believes in tackling casteism in its way.Demonising the sangh is no way to understand modern india.The sanghs world view has a compelling logic/emotional appeal of its own.Name calling the sangh is no way to understand modern India.The Sangh has a large base in many parts of India and they include capable and forward looking men.

You claim that India is turning back on her history/religion.That is not true.We are consigning darker facets of our religion/society to the dustbin,while reinvigorating other elements.If certain empowered groups do not want to partake some of the heritage,it is perfectly fine but that does not mean every one of the empowered groups rebel against every element of the heritage.Surely you cannot decide the choices of vast swathes of population.I am not a member of the sangh,BTW.
jaibhim
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jaibhim »

I believe I said leaving behind not turning back on something as a closed chapter. I am no one to arrogate or decide or thrust my opinion on someone. India has many grave challenges to face and I believe she needs a new set of intellectual tools and wide array of disciplines to analyse them. India needs her own Foucault[ the starting point of understanding how power is exercised and how to control and be controlled] and powerful ideas very different from today, that could help her shape her future trajectory. It is my private opinion that religion is an individual practice of individuals and should not be subject to politics. Many in the southern India would also acknowledge to more concentrated displays of religion in the cults, groups, traditions and practices compared to northern India unlike for instance the ISKON movements wherein it could plausibly be argued that they aim to cater to a particular target group. The sangh growth in today's format owes much to its diaspora and certain catchment areas in northern and western India owing to many reasons. Veena Das's Structure and Cognition is a good starting point. Let there be many paths to realise what someone believes is her or his true being. I rest my case here because I would loathe to occupy member's space on the 2g scam a much more pressing scam whose main actor is the kind of kings of tamizh, Rajaraja Chola and the kannagis and other assorted mythical characters from great Tamizh lore[the great tamizh era of the most glorious times with self-respect, that were prevalent in the history of dravida nadu, seems to good to be true just like the story of emperor kim jong] to enact their drama! Recent events have overshadowed this solemn space for discussing the great king's actions and singing praise for them.
Last edited by jaibhim on 05 Jun 2011 23:57, edited 3 times in total.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Looks like a marxist is on board. Reminds me of Carl_T who wanted to fit in.
Last edited by archan on 06 Jun 2011 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: blatant accusation. Warning needed.
jaibhim
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jaibhim »

If that's a reference to my post Mr.Acharya, I am sorry I am anything but a marxist, thought it's a useful phase to grow out of in intellectual development. :rotfl: May Milton Friedman be blessed, tatahsthu. I am still searching for my ism in the long run and if did not find one might create one, till then I will wrestle with my frailties, contradictions and try to incorporate reason and idea in that process. Marx is not important here. Let him and comrade stalin rest in peace, they have had their murderous exploits on behalf of the progress of the dictatorship of the people and the party whose ideas have been slavishly followed by many comrades in India! Patriotism might after all be effete, if brandished loudly. Is it not a state of mind?

Could the topic take precedence ? :roll: Thanks and regards.
Dhiman
BRFite

Post by Dhiman »

All this hoopla has brought up more questions in my mind rather than any answers:

1) I don't understand this logic of taking "permission" from the government to stage a protest. What is the use of the protest if one has to take permission from those you are protesting against?

2) Is it legal for the government to show a "vindictive attitude" by going after Ramdev, his assests, and most likely his supporters and contributors assests as well just because the government now sees Ramdev as a threat to their survival?

The way this whole shit has gone basically makes me think that this "right to protest" is artificial and at the pleasure of the government. As far as I knew the way it was supposed to work was that it is government's responsibility to uphold law and order and it is every citizens right to hold peaceful protests. When the government starts preventing protests preemptively based on a "fear of law and order situation" then that is crossing dangerous territory.

Personally, I am more worried here about Ramdev not being allowed to protest (irrespective of what this stance, political inclination, goals, and methodology might be) rather than this issue of corruption.
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

Supreme Court issues notice to Centre on the forceful eviction of yoga guru Ramdev and his followers from Ramlila Maidan.
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

Governments cowardly action was not Preventive, but Punitive.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Narad Confirming your post
SC to Centre: Explain crackdown on Ramdev:

Just in: The Supreme Court issues notice to Centre on the forceful eviction of yoga guru Ramdev and his followers from RamlilaMaidan in Delhi. The SC has issued a notice to the Home Secretary and the Delhi police
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

Garu it looks to be a suo moto action. No confirmation though.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

A suprime court advocate had filed apetition yesterday WRT, the assault & eviction of BRD and this notice is a result of that petition.

I saw the news of the notice on page 6 ot the Delhi edition of the Hindustan times in print.
Narad
BRFite

Post by Narad »

Pratyush Ji, IBN live quoting PTI says its was self cognizance by SC.
Supreme Court issues notice to Centre on the forceful eviction of yoga guru Ramdev and his followers from Ramlila Maidan.
Supreme court takes suo moto cognisance of the alleged incident at Ramlila Maidan on Saturday night. SC issues notice to union home secretary, Delhi police commisioner and Delhi chief secretary.
IBN/PTI
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Had heard BRD say on TV yesterday that they'd be filing a complaint against GOI on the eviction.
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

That plea has been rejected it seems and SC has instead taken a suo-moto notice of the incident.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

If DMK and Mulayam Singh Yadav pulls out their support arguing Congress is not democratically handling the Ramdev, then Congress is ready for next election?!

Mulayam deplores midnight swoop
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/a ... 079620.ece

Baba Ramdev's eviction from Delhi unites divided Opposition
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/story ... 40541.html
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Maulana Mulyama and pull out support :rotfl:
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Sanku,

Nat to worry, the BSP will support the kangress against BRD. They have already banned him from entering UP.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

India’s corrupt protecting the terrorists
By M D Nalapat

PALANIAPPAN Chidambaram deserves credit for being open about acknowledging that the sole task of the government is to collect money from the people. This principle got completely enshrined in policy once Sonia Maino chose him as the Union Finance Minister in 2004. From then onwards, the collection agencies of the Government of India were set targets that they were asked to fulfill by using the coercive means at their disposal to the fullest. Anything beyond the target set could be shared among the officials, and this was no small figure, as the financial machinery of government was empowered by Chidambaram to confiscate, imprison and harass at will. As in the time of the British Raj, the country has been bled since 1947 for the benefit of its new rulers. And now the Nehru Era has given way to what may be described as the Maino Era.

More - http://www.organiser.org/dynamic/module ... 401&page=5
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Congress Dirty Tricks Dept Runs Riot

Cong dirty tricks dept runs riot
June 06, 2011 8:25:07 PM

Annapurna Jha | New Delhi

After a midnight crackdown on yoga guru Ramdev and his supporters, the Government on Sunday shut the door on further negotiations with him and let loose its Ministers and Congress leaders to tarnish Baba’s image by calling him a “thug and RSS agent” and questioning the source of his funds.

The move aims to check the political damage caused by the unleashing of brute force against peaceful demonstrators and its all-round condemnation. The Congress hoped that by dubbing Baba an RSS agent, the party could discredit him and at least bank on the support of the minority community.

The smear-Baba campaign had apparently been approved of by the top leadership of the Congress, which was earlier uncomfortable about the four Cabinet Ministers receiving the yoga guru at the airport.

However, with the yoga guru openly targeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi charging her of being “insensitive” to the sufferings of women and children of India due to her foreign origin, Sonia called an emergency meeting of the senior party leaders in the evening to devise a damage-control strategy. The meeting, attended by Home Minister P Chidambaram, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, decided to send the message to States to confront the challenge posed by “selfish” political forces which are trying to weaken the constitutional norms,” party general secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said.

The decision to go whole hog against Baba has been taken as party realises that forcibly evicting Baba from Delhi has exposed it not only to criticism from its political adversaries but even from the civil society group with social activist Anna Hazare once again deciding to go a day-long fast at Jantar Mantar on June 8 seeking an answer from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh against this attack on the democracy of the country.

The Government is conscious of the fact that its flip-flop on Baba — first giving him a red carpet welcome with four Ministers going to airport to meet him and then ultimately unleashing thousands of police officials on sleeping demonstrators --- has made its position vulnerable.

However, adopting a brave face, the Government tried to defend itself on the ground that Ramdev’s hunger strike was a “political campaign” which could have created law and order problem in the national Capital as a large number of people had started gathering at Ramlila Maidan and terrorists could have infiltrated into them. It also charged Baba of violating the undertaking given while taking permission for a yoga camp and tried to discredit the yoga guru for going back on the written promise made to the Government after five-hour long talks with Union Ministers Sibal and Subodh Kant Sahay that he would make an announcement on Saturday afternoon about calling off “tapa” by June 6.

“It was not a yoga platform, but a political platform. The law and order had to be enforced in Delhi. We did not want any disruptions in that,” Kapil Sibal said and charged Ramdev with not being a trustworthy person as he had “cheated” the Government and also his followers by not honouring his commitment about calling of fast on June 6 made to the Government and not revealing it to his supporters. {Look who is talking!}:eek:

Realising there was little chance of compromise with Ramdev now, the Government said that no further negotiations will be held with the yoga guru.

“There is nothing left to discuss (with Ramdev). On what issue we will talk. Whatever talks had to happen have already happened,” said Sahay, who had played a crucial role in negotiations with the yoga guru.

Though terming the police action to remove Ramdev as “unfortunate”, Pranab Mukerjee, who had played a crucial role in the Government’s decision, defended it on the ground that had Baba confined his protest to three days, it would not have happened.

Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal also used the same plea of maintaining law and order and criticised Ramdev for sharing dais with RSS leader Sadhvi Ritambhara in a communally sensitive area of Old Delhi. He also charged the yoga guru with not being honest. :eek:

Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh, who has been targeting Ramdev since beginning, intensifying his attack and termed Baba as a “thug (fraud)” who wanted to “fool the Government and people.” He justified police action against him and demanded that Baba should be probed. However, he tried to distance the party from the crackdown saying that it was the Government decision. :mrgreen:

But his claim was refuted by Sibal, who said that the Government and the party were fully united on the police action a decision regarding which was taken on Saturday evening itself once the Baba refused to announce calling off his agitation. “Absolutely 100 per cent. No such action takes place without 100 per cent unity in the Government and the party,” he said. :rotfl:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Maran case is getting hotter.

Siva group Chairman speaks to CBI about how he was forced to divest Aircel to Maran front companies and threated with death.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

Going by the reports Hasan Ali will soon join Sadiq Batcha

HC raps Maha govt, ED on Hasan Ali's medical condition http://www.indianexpress.com/news/hc-ra ... on/800039/
The Bombay High Court on Monday rapped the Maharashtra government and the Enforcement Directorate for their alleged callous approach towards the health of Pune-based stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan, accused of tax evasion and money laundering.

Hasan was taken to state-run JJ Hospital last week following direction from the high court on a petition filed by him seeking immediate medical attention for ailments like diabetes, liver cirrhosis and partial renal problems he claimed to have been suffering from.

JJ hospital filed a report before the court stating that Hasan's condition is fine and stable and hence his admission there is not necessary.

"How can JJ hospital say (that) Hasan is fine when doctors from state-run St George Hospital say that he needs urgent treatment. Hasan was taken to St George by the ED when he was in their custody," Hasan's lawyer I A Bagaria argued.

"Isn't it ED's responsibility to assure that Hasan is kept in good health? The agency might require him later for investigations. We need to see to it that he is healthy," a division bench of justices B H Marlapalle and U D Salvi observed.

The bench has now directed the authorities of Arthur Road jail, where Hasan is currently lodged, to take him to St Georges hospital tomorrow.

"We direct the superintendent of St George Hospital to ensure all medical tests are carried out and in case if required he may be hospitalised," Justice Marlapalle remarked.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Raghavendra wrote:Going by the reports Hasan Ali will soon join Sadiq Batcha

HC raps Maha govt, ED on Hasan Ali's medical condition http://www.indianexpress.com/news/hc-ra ... on/800039/
The Bombay High Court on Monday rapped the Maharashtra government and the Enforcement Directorate for their alleged callous approach towards the health of Pune-based stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan, accused of tax evasion and money laundering.

Hasan was taken to state-run JJ Hospital last week following direction from the high court on a petition filed by him seeking immediate medical attention for ailments like diabetes, liver cirrhosis and partial renal problems he claimed to have been suffering from.

JJ hospital filed a report before the court stating that Hasan's condition is fine and stable and hence his admission there is not necessary.

"How can JJ hospital say (that) Hasan is fine when doctors from state-run St George Hospital say that he needs urgent treatment. Hasan was taken to St George by the ED when he was in their custody," Hasan's lawyer I A Bagaria argued.

"Isn't it ED's responsibility to assure that Hasan is kept in good health? The agency might require him later for investigations. We need to see to it that he is healthy," a division bench of justices B H Marlapalle and U D Salvi observed.

The bench has now directed the authorities of Arthur Road jail, where Hasan is currently lodged, to take him to St Georges hospital tomorrow.

"We direct the superintendent of St George Hospital to ensure all medical tests are carried out and in case if required he may be hospitalised," Justice Marlapalle remarked.
There was a gentleman called Popat Shinde who conveniently died in a hospital in Mumbai, after being caught in a big oil-adulteration scam. A district collector was burnt to death. Immediately after the incident, there were reports that he was not particularly seriously injured. But he fortunately passed away.

Murli Deora had apparently issued orders that facilitated the adulteration. I think the links are there in this thread, from a couple of months back.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

^Thanks for that info, we should have a list of people who have been accidented to death for opposing corruption or trying to turn approver to expose their corrupt bosses
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Raghavendra wrote:^Thanks for that info, we should have a list of people who have been accidented to death for opposing corruption or trying to turn approver to expose their corrupt bosses
I think Batcha's nephew also collapsed and died in a gym or something like that. The nephew was also involved, he had been interrogated by the CBI.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

http://www.sify.com/news/jpc-meets-cbi- ... hdfgc.html
New Delhi: As the joint parliamentary committee (JPC) met on Tuesday to hear from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on its probe into the 2G scam, the panel is expected to call Textile Minister and DMK leader Dayanidhi Maran.

CBI director A.P. Singh is appearing before the panel to give it the probe agency's inputs related to its investigation into the scam.

But informed sources said some members had proposed that Maran, who was the IT and communication minister from 2004 to 2007, should be called to depose before the panel.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

think Batcha's nephew also collapsed and died in a gym or something like that. The nephew was also involved, he had been interrogated by the CBI.
Raja's Nephew, Not Batcha's
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hindu reports:

Anil Ambani to meet his executives lodged in Tihar Jail
Reliance ADA Group Chairman Anil Ambani has been allowed to meet two senior executives of his parent company now lodged in Tihar prison who were arrested in connection with 2G scam case.

“We have granted permission to Anil Ambani to meet two of his Reliance executives now lodged in our prison. He will meet them after sunset,” Neeraj Kumar, DG Tihar Prisons, said.

Mr. Ambani is expected to meet Gautam Doshi and Hari Nair who work for his parent company, the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group.

Three top officials of Reliance ADA Group Gautam Doshi (the company’s Managing Director), Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair have been accused of conspiracy and abetment of cheating in 2G spectrum allocation scam.

“Gautam Doshi and Hari Nair who are lodged in Jail no. 3 have been allowed to meet Anil Ambani. Surendra Pipara is in AIIMS,” he said.

The three top officials of Reliance ADA Group have already completed 55 days of stay in the Tihar prison since April 20 after a special CBI court rejected their bail plea in the scam
Hope they make sure he isn't threating them or something like that.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Now Ruias are added to the list.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

And per grapevine, DMK may withdraw from UPA as Kani's bail is rejected. It will be good as INC may get SP officially into UPA rather than the shadow boxing. We have to see if Jaya joins too.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

^^ Jaya will probably join but not sure how much she can offer - she only has like 6 MPs or something right?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

AIADMK has7MPs. She has to join if DMK pulls out to ensure some representation in the Cabinet for TN.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Jaya may not join if she thinks her fresh life will get tainted if she joins a taint ridden UPA. She is very calculated person and may take a while. In 2014 if there is a adverse result that keeps INC out, she has the potential to become PM of a non-congress third front with BJP support.

UPA is stable anyway without DMK so they really don't need to shop around but if they pissoff Mamta then they really need to shop from SP and/or BSP.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

^^ They have had contacts last year on an offer to join. But you are right, current dynamic makes it difficult to join UPA.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

no bail for Fruitlanguage and queen mother reportedly broke down and cried.

Little console for the monumental looting..but I will take it.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

http://www.dailypioneer.com/344587/Was- ... na-TV.html

Was Aircel Siva forced to pay Rs 50 cr to Karuna TV?
June 09, 2011 10:23:39 AM

Pioneer News Service | New Delhi

The DMK landed in fresh trouble with emergence of allegations that former Aircel boss and promoter of STel, C Sivasankaran had transferred Rs 50 crore to DMK-owned Kalaignar TV.

Sources said the CBI is probing if a fund flow of Rs 50 crore to Kalaignar TV from STel was a quid pro quo for the award of six licences to STel in contravention of the guidelines of the Department of Telecom. The licences to STel were granted during former Telecom Minister A Raja’s tenure.

Sivasankaran had also told the CBI that the then Telecom Minister, Dayanidhi Maran, and his brother Kalanidhi had allegedly issued life threats forcing him to sell his firm to a Malayasia-based tycoon. He has provided the CBI a list of over 10 witnesses, mostly based abroad, to buttress his point that he was threatened by the Maran brothers, CBI sources said.

The list provided by Sivasankaran includes some bankers, venture capitalists, and lawyers who will be examined by the CBI in the course of its investigation into alleged irregularities in the award of licences during the tenure of Dayanidhi as Telecom Minister.

The 2G scam is getting murkier with revelations that the Telecom portfolio held by the DMK in UPA-I and UPA-II was being run as family business of the Karunanidhi family and friends.

DMK MP and Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi and former Telecom Minister and DMK leader A Raja have already been chargesheeted in a case of bribery. The agency has also chargesheeted the DMK-owned Kalaignar TV for allegedly receiving a kickback of Rs 200 crore by Shahid Balwa as a quid pro quo for controversial award of the 2G licences to Swan Telecom promoted by him.

Sivasankaran had on Monday told the CBI that he was arm-twisted by former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran to sell his 74 per cent stakes in Aircel to a Malaysian firm, Maxis that is considered close to the Maran family. Maxis subsequently invested over Rs 600 crore in Sun TV owned by Dayanidhi’s brother Kalanidhi Maran.

The CBI is probing the Aircel-Maxis deal and may question Maran after a Regular Case is registered with regard to the alleged irregularities in the award of the 2G licences during his tenure as Telecom Minister.

Sivasankaran had locked horns with Raja over the reversal of the last date for receipt of the applications for grant of 2G licences by the DoT from October 1, 2008 to September 25, 2008 because he could not get the 2G licences for all the 22 circles.

The CBI, sources said, is examining if the Rs 50 crore payment to Kalaignar TV was made for the grant of six licences that STel got along with other dubious telecom firms like Swan and Unitech Wireless.

The STel promoter had also challenged the controversial decision of Raja to advance the cut-off dates for receipt of application for award of spectrum, in the Delhi High Court that subsequently ruled in his favour. Raja allegedly arm-twisted Sivasankaran to withdraw the case and wind up operations in the telecom sector after the DoT challenged the Delhi High Court order in the Supreme Court. The apex court, however, upheld the decision of the High Court following an intervention application by Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy.

The Comptroller and Auditor General of India in a report termed the licences granted to STel as illegal as they were awarded in violation of the DoT guidelines relating to net worth condition for application by a company.
Marans maroed.

Venture capitalists or Vulture capitalists?? :twisted:
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Gus wrote:no bail for Fruitlanguage and queen mother reportedly broke down and cried.

Little console for the monumental looting..but I will take it.
Kani means sweet or Fruit- I am bit confused with my Tamil Now. Queen Mother= Dr. Artiste? who has a locality west of Ashok Nagar named after him?