LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Re: LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

Post by Aditya_V »

The only way is to mount infrared cameras with required software that can recognise men with Guns/ RPG and connected with a computer controlled guns on fron and both sides that can take them out.

Doubt technology has reached that stage though.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Or how about modifying 'Trophy' system to fit on helicopters.It can be quite useful,but I doubt that it will ever be light enough.
A good technology nonetheless.
Mark Walpole
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mark Walpole »

Is it viable to compare the records of the Chinook with any other presently flying helicopter as it is one of the longest serving helicopter in the world. Also it has served more operational hours in active combat zones than most helicopters if not all starting from Vietnam onward's. There aren't many helicopters in the world that can undertake the operations tasked to these helicopters. Comparing an Mi-26's operational record or even modern helicopters like the EH 101 Merlin dose not make sense as as compared to the number of Chinooks in operational theater there are hardly any of the others.
The above factors among'st others taken into consideration show a good record for the helicopter even when talking about attrition rates or loss due to enemy fire.
It has to be some luck with which an unguided projectile like an rpg to take out a chinook and that would imply to any if not all helicopters. A stray bullet shooting through a couple of hydraulic lines or damaging the tail rotor can bring down any chopper..

The portrayed ability of the chinook to operate in hi dry areas like ladakh (which it has been doing in the mountainous regions of afghanistan) due to its tandem rotor system among'st other things is why the helicopter is being evaluated to fulfill the heavy lift operations for our armed forces.

Just my 2 cents :)

MS
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Surya wrote:Philip why stop at the EH101

please consider other alternatives like little helos which can carry 2 soldiers

a swarm of these will be more agile than the 'clumsy' chinook.

:eek:
nachiket wrote:Philip ji, can you please educate us on how a helicopter (clumsy or otherwise) is supposed to dodge an RPG round that the pilots may not even know is being fired at it.
Guys , don't you know that an American product can never be good.America can never compare with Soviet Union.And Soviet Union is the greatest country in the world.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Tarmak reports
Sarangs join Army during silent joint exercise along Kerala coast
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:Look at what the Neighbourhood just coughed-up :roll:
Pak Snipes Indian Dhruvs In Ecuador

The Pakistan government, through its press service (Associated Press of Pakistan), has made a stinging attack on HAL's flagship export, the Dhruv helicopter, suggesting that the small fleet that India sold to Ecuador a few years ago are now "beset with problems", including low availability, expensive spares, faulty after-sales service and over-invoicing by HAL.
HAL hasn't responded officially just yet, but will shortly.
See what you make of the Pak release. (A HAL source I spoke to said the tenor of the report "almost definitely" suggested a U.S. plant, with the APP a willing vessel).

Anyway, here it is in full: http://livefist.blogspot.com/2011/07/pa ... uador.html

Reply to the paki news. :mrgreen:
The Ecuadorian Air Force FAE defends Dhruv helicopters

15:20 Ecuadorian Air Force, FAE, disagrees with the version that the Pakistan Press Agency gave about Dhruv helicopters to Ecuador, India bought.

According to this version, the FAE would have sent a message saying that the Indian government was thinking about not buying more helicopters for its high price and poor performance. One of the Dhruv and had an accident.

In a letter to this medium, the commanding general of the FAE, Leonardo Barreiro Muñoz says that these helicopters are very good and that as a result there have been major bailouts.

According to Barreiro, the quality of Dhruv is demonstrated "that these aircraft have flown over 2700 hours and several of its pilots are operating in an almost permanent, some are credited flight instructors and 1,000 flight hours, only in this equipment. "

The Pakistani agency said that India was charging much more for the repair of a system with these devices that charged by the manufacturer in the United States.

"Importantly, it has been saving the lives of civilian and military personnel on board these helicopters. With these facts undermines the assertions by the PPP (Pakistan Press Agency) regarding a 'disappointment' of the said aircraft," Barreiro said.

The commander of the SAF said in his letter that "tell us is commendable as responsible for the operation of Dhruv helicopters, and therefore official source of information, thanks to the provision of six helicopters have been made to fully comply: missions rescue, airlift, aeromedical evacuation in support of the community and support of our soldiers who are deployed in the northern border. "

Reply: At the request of John T. Cortez, president of Sumil CA, represented in Ecuador Hindustan Aeronautics

Let me address this communication to express my dissatisfaction and discomfort for the tip appeared in reference to comercio.com Dhruv helicopters, manufactured in India, that are being used with complete satisfaction by the sr. President of the Republic and Ecuador's Air Force.

The article mentions as an information base to have a news agency of Pakistan, a situation that in no way warrants the considerable base credible and true. On the other hand contains a series of false statements only intended to discredit an internationally renowned company and the Ecuadorian authorities.

I am surprised that a newspaper in the history of El Comercio newspaper can play without verification of any kind, baseless information, unsigned responsibility and who knows what purposes.

I have the conviction that behind this there is a purpose-driven shady people interested only in damage and discredit the good name of the company and its product HAL, the Dhruv helicopter, and institutions of the Ecuadorian state.

Very strongly request that you make room in your newspaper to this paper claims, and further requests the Government you start investigations to

clarify aspects of the case.

With the most compliments,

Dr. Juan Cortez T.
President SUMIL C.A.
Representative in Ecuador HINDUSTAN AERONAUTICS LTD.

http://elcomercio.com/seguridad/FAE-def ... 47479.html
joygoswami
BRFite

Post by joygoswami »

Got These Pictures from PakDefence Forum. Please let me know if any of these posts are inappropriate and I would have them deleted.

joygoswami
BRFite

Post by joygoswami »

Aksara
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aksara »

Tarmak 007 is no paki website....
saje
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saje »

Just got buzzed by a Mi-17 over whitefield, nothing extraordinary except that it was carrying a lot of fire power! This bird has been flying over my office regularly for the past 1 week and this is the first time I've sighted it.
Pandav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pandav »

Guys please ignore if there some error in the Specs as this what i found from different sources.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Pandav wrote: Guys please ignore if there some error in the Specs as this what i found from different sources.
Do you know why you were banned from Indian defence. This same image has been posted by you as "Pandora" on there.
Pandav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pandav »

shiv wrote:
Pandav wrote: Guys please ignore if there some error in the Specs as this what i found from different sources.
Do you know why you were banned from Indian defence. This same image has been posted by you as "Pandora" on there.

I made some sissy cried So he reported me :mrgreen: and yes i posted that but now am regreting mate why i posted there :cry: (Thanks to yusuf and AV to open the real pandora box )
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Rgds stats about Chinbokk crashes,the latest AMR (Indian MIlitary Review) carries an article about Chinooks in Afghanistan with full details/stats of NATO Chinook crashes and the reasons why.It is quite illuminating.Small arms and RPGs are one reason,the others are bad landings,turning turtle upon landing,etc.Will add details later on.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Pandav wrote:Guys please ignore if there some error in the Specs as this what i found from different sources.
You've got one very obvious error in your chart.
Power plant: Both LCH and wz10 say 1000 kW and TAI says 1014 kW, but when the power is expressed in horsepower, LCH has more HP than the other two (1400 vs. 1340 and 1361).

Nice work though.
Pandav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pandav »

ArmenT wrote:
Pandav wrote:Guys please ignore if there some error in the Specs as this what i found from different sources.
You've got one very obvious error in your chart.
Power plant: Both LCH and wz10 say 1000 kW and TAI says 1014 kW, but when the power is expressed in horsepower, LCH has more HP than the other two (1400 vs. 1340 and 1361).

Nice work though.
Thanks mate but you see i already mentioned below about it that things might differ with Chinese heli :roll:
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

As much as I love comparison debates it is worth pointing out WZ-10 is not light attack helicopter.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Pandav, while we appreciate your efforts I would rather we don't start comparison in India threads because the chances of a pi$$ing contest are high. the newb/misc thread or internation aviation thread is a better place.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rahul M wrote:Pandav, while we appreciate your efforts I would rather we don't start comparison in India threads because the chances of a pi$$ing contest are high. the newb/misc thread or internation aviation thread is a better place.
Pandav - this is a very valid point that people don't seem to learn especially because it is encouraged on Paki forums.

Let me ask you a basic question. If an Indian LCH were to attack Chinese land forces how would the Chinese respond. I will make it MCQ for convenience and answer it as well. Please state if you have any quibbles.

Indian LCH attacks Chinese land forces. China's response would be
1. Run away.
2. Send two WZ 10s
3. Try and shoot the LCH down with ground to air defences.

The Chinese will not run away. Sending to WZ10s is possible but fraught with danger to them as they enter the battle zone. It will be several minutes before they can fly in even if they have AAMs and the LCH may finish its job and go away by the time they arrive. The Chinese will try and shoot the LCH down real soon using AA fire and SAMs. So the Chinese "reply" to LCH wil be anti-aircraft fire. Not WZ10

Similarly the Indian response to an attack by Chinese WZ10 will be SAMs and AA fire. Not LCH

If WZ10 is not the correct response to LCH, and LCH is not the correct response to WZ10 - why compare them? Now instead of LCH suppose India sends two Mi 35 or maybe in future two Apaches/Mi 28. Will the Chinese respond with six WZ10? No they will respond instantly with ground fire and may send missile and air attacks to take out the Indian helicopter base.

Unless you are a salesman who is selling attack helicopters and want a buyer to have all the specs of each helo readily visible a comparison chart such as the one you have made, such a chart is is useless. Sorry if I am being harsh. Too many enthusiasts spend too much time comparing missiles or planes or helos as if helos are needed against other helos or surface to surface missiles needed against other surface to surface missiles. No. That is not how things work. The fact that the media also make such comparisons (India Today/Outlook etc) only shows the ignorance of the people who write those articles.

Comparisons of "My d**k is bigger/longer/harder" are less valid than where I can actually use mine, long or short, hard or soft.
atma
BRFite

Post by atma »

Comparisons of "My d**k is bigger/longer/harder" are less valid than where I can actually use mine, long or short, hard or soft.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Pandav, I suggest you to make as much as comparisons that you can make. Why?
That's because the more the Indian products and Indian strenghts gets highlighted, the better. Also ensure that you don't compare a thing with the Pakis. They lost out long back and no more the need to compare anything with the losers. But you must try the Chinese, U.S and European systems for comparisons more and more in their respective categories. Not only related to military but others as well. Shortly India is going to overtake the Chinese in terms of mobile phones. Then you'll have another area open for comparison. :lol:
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

shiv wrote:
Rahul M wrote:Pandav, while we appreciate your efforts I would rather we don't start comparison in India threads because the chances of a pi$$ing contest are high. the newb/misc thread or internation aviation thread is a better place.
Pandav - this is a very valid point that people don't seem to learn especially because it is encouraged on Paki forums.

Let me ask you a basic question. If an Indian LCH were to attack Chinese land forces how would the Chinese respond. I will make it MCQ for convenience and answer it as well. Please state if you have any quibbles.

1. Run away.
2. Send two WZ 10s

The Chinese will not run away. Sending to WZ10s is possible but fraught with danger to them as they enter the battle zone. It will be several minutes before they can fly in even if they have AAMs and the LCH may finish its job and go away by the time they arrive. The Chinese will try and shoot the LCH down real soon using AA fire and SAMs. So the Chinese "reply" to LCH wil be anti-aircraft fire. Not WZ10

Similarly the Indian response to an attack by Chinese WZ10 will be SAMs and AA fire. Not LCH

If WZ10 is not the correct response to LCH, and LCH is not the correct response to WZ10 - why compare them? Now instead of LCH suppose India sends two Mi 35 or maybe in future two Apaches/Mi 28. Will the Chinese respond with six WZ10? No they will respond instantly with ground fire and may send missile and air attacks to take out the Indian helicopter base.

Unless you are a salesman who is selling attack helicopters and want a buyer to have all the specs of each helo readily visible a comparison chart such as the one you have made, such a chart is is useless. Sorry if I am being harsh. Too many enthusiasts spend too much time comparing missiles or planes or helos as if helos are needed against other helos or surface to surface missiles needed against other surface to surface missiles. No. That is not how things work. The fact that the media also make such comparisons (India Today/Outlook etc) only shows the ignorance of the people who write those articles.

Comparison is useful for psyops reasons and also to highlight technological advances and capabilities compared to the enemy.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

shiv wrote:

1. Run away.
2. Send two WZ 10s

Shivji, I completely agree to your point that if one wants to compare who would have the upper hand in battle, one should compare the weapons and anti-weapons and not weapon vs weapon.

Having said that, it is also a competition to build the most effective weapon for a given objective ... In that respect, IMHO there is no flaw in saying you, me, tom, dick and harry set out to build a weapon for a purpose ... Now let us compare who has made the best one!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote: In that respect, IMHO there is no flaw in saying you, me, tom, dick and harry set out to build a weapon for a purpose ... Now let us compare who has made the best one!
In fact this "comparison of who has the longest best is the problem. It is the problem because specifications are easy to compare but what is forgotten is the role of that system in the entire war machine set up and how well a given machine can slot into a given armed force.

The phallic analogy actually becomes very relevant here. On length alone one may exceed another and be declared "winner" but what is left out of the comparison is the attractiveness of the body that carries the organ in question and the ability of that body to gain and hold on to a mate long before any question of length comes into play. The selection of mate is not done by length. The effectiveness of a combat helicopter in a given armed force is not determined by its weight, power plant, load carrying capacity or armament. These comparisons of "best" are based solely on specs. You are well informed enough to know the variables that come into play here and they include serviceability, lifetime cost and MTBF. The servicability of a given machine may be - for example 80% in Russia but only 20% in Angola. How and when are these comparisons done. And by whom? It's always "X is bigger". "No Y is bigger"
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I have no problem with comparison as long as it is not done in the more serious threads because they tend to be troll magnets.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Shiv ji, again I agree with you that comparing specifications is the most naive of all comparisons, especially for a war machine.

But personally I would love to read an in depth comparison of say a Rafale vs EF vs Mig-35 or Arjun vs T-90 vs M1s. I would only be prejudiced if I say that I don't want to read a comparison of the LCH vs it's contemporaries. I see nothing wrong in analyzing the effectiveness of two or more machines which were built for the same purpose. But this is my opinion :).

Unfortunately, one can't put up an analysis on a poster ... hence we see all the companies (HAL included) putting up spec-wise comparisons at stalls and brochures.

Rahul da, I agree with you ... there will be no more posts from me on this topic on this thread ... anyways I have stated my opinion and completely understand what Shiv ji is saying ... Shivji, I would love to hear more from you in this regard ... I consider myself a newbie in front of you, especially when it comes to history of deployments ... may be on the newbie thread?
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

Mi-17-v5 helicopter to be based in the Punjab - First lot from Russia arrives in a couple of weeks- excerpts :
The IAF aims to utilise the Mi-17-V5 helicopters for special heli-borne operations, air-maintenance, transportation of troops and equipment, search and rescue, casualty evacuation and in armed helicopter roles.

For long, Mi-17 chopper variants have been used by para-commandos of the Army and also the Special Operations Group of the NSG. The latest variant will be able to drop 25 troops in one go and from multiple on-board exit points.
The new variant will have the ability to allow the pilots to start the engines at altitudes of 6,000 m (about 21,000 ft) thus helping in servicing various high-altitude posts in the Himalayas. Each of the two engines can generate 2,200 hp of power. This is a significant improvement over the previous version which has two engines of 1,950 hp each.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110831/nation.htm#6
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Rudra
New Delhi: Army's aerial firepower capabilities will get a boost as it is soon going to induct the attack version of indigenously-built Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) 'Rudra'.

The 'Rudra' is the first weaponised chopper built in the country and will be inducted into the Army Aviation Corps in the current financial year, army officials said.

Armed with an array of guns, rocket pods, air-to-air and anti-tank guided missiles, the fleet of the weaponised helicopters, the "heavily-loaded" ALH, has been approved for induction as part of modernisation and capability development efforts by the government, they said.

Integration of the weaponised aerial platform into the army will provide the field commanders the ability to apply decisive combat power at critical times anywhere in the battle field, they said.

Rudra is an armed variant of the ALH Dhruva chopper and "necessary changes have been made in the airframe of the chopper to give it agility and speed to make it a suitable support weapon for the ground troops".

The chopper has been named 'Rudra', one of the names of Lord Shiva who is worshipped as the destroyer of enemies, to signify the helicopter's firepower and capabilities. .

The HAL is also in the process of developing a Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) which will be inducted in both the army and the Indian Air Force.

The 5.5 tonne class twin engine chopper has a number of advanced features such as Automatic Flight Control System, Integrated Dynamic System, Full Authority Digital Electronic Control can cruise at speeds of 250 km per hour.
ranjithnath
BRFite

Post by ranjithnath »

rudra seems a good enough name !!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

a good choice of name ;)
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Singha wrote:a good choice of name ;)
Finally all your dream weapon ideas and posts on BR get some recognition..... :D
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Indian attack chopper expected by year end
NEW DELHI, Sept. 9 (UPI) -- The Indian army will induct the attack version of the indigenously built advanced light helicopter into the army aviation corps this year, a defense official said.

The Rudra light combat helicopter is a "heavily loaded" version of the advanced light helicopter Dhruv. The Rudra is armed with an array of guns and rocket pods as well as air-to-air and anti-tank missiles, a report by the Press Trust of India said, without naming any army official.

The PTI report gave no other details or dates.

The Rudra first flew in March 2010.

India's army has been waiting for the armed version since the utility helicopter Dhruv, built by Hindustan Aeronautics, entered service in 2002. Around 160 are believed to have been ordered by the army and navy from the company's assembly plant in Bangalore.

Even the unarmed utility version, which also is available for civilian use, was a long time coming.

The Dhruv project was announced in 1984 when Hindustan Aeronautics began designing the aircraft with assistance from the German aerospace company Messerschmitt-Bolkow-Blohm.

MBB was formed as the result of several mergers in the late 1960s and which in 1989 was bought by Daimler-Benz Aerospace. MBB is now part of EADS.

The Dhruv first flew in 1992 and has been exported first to Ecuador in 2008 for $50 million and then to Nepal and Israel.

Hindustan Aeronautics won the Ecuadorian order amid strong competition from Elbit, Eurocopter and Kazan.

"HAL's offer of $50.7 million for seven helicopters was about 32 percent lower than the second lowest bid from Elbit," a June 2008 Indian Ministry of Defense statement said.

But exports have suffered because of an accident in October 2009. One of the seven sold to the Ecuadorian air force crashed during a military parade, leaving two crew injured.

The helicopter veered off course while flying in formation with two other helicopters over an air force base near Quito and hit the ground nose first, the PTI reported at the time.

The Ecuadorian air force grounded the other six Dhruv until an investigation was completed. The investigation concluded pilot error was to blame.

In April, four Indian army personnel were killed in a Dhruv helicopter crash in north Sikkim state, near the Chinese border.

The Dhruv helicopter carries up to 12 passenger and two pilots sitting side by side, with a maximum takeoff weight of 12,125 pounds. Maximum speed of 180 mph is from two Shakti turboshaft engines or two Turbomeca TM 333-2B2 turboshaft engines. The service ceiling is around 27,500 feet.

The Rudra version has the two pilots sitting one behind the other.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

The Rudra version has the two pilots sitting one behind the other.
Are we talking about LCH?,I thought it is WSI
saje
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saje »

Took this video of a Dhruv carrying a net-like contraption. It is cleary visible in the first 2-3 seconds only. I think it is the below-mentioned gun carriage system. Could anyone confirm?

http://www.defencenow.com/news/240/indi ... _guns.html
Last edited by saje on 21 Sep 2011 05:54, edited 2 times in total.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Can view the video..
chiragAS
BRFite

Post by chiragAS »

LUH engine bid

:( hope they stick to shakti
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

AWST Sept.5th issue has sveeral news items reg. IAF's future procurement plans including helos.

Attack helo.Apache leads.Both MI-28.Ap. performed well,Ap. more advanced in night ops.
Heavy-lift,MI-26 vs Chinook.Russian giant offers better economics with the type already in service.Upgraded helo demonstrated with new glass cockpit,etc."50-50" as for the LUH-the Eurocopter birdie vs Kamov's. Total est. this decade is 700 helos.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

^ Sirji, I felt I just heard a soldier relaying status from the frontline.
Please be more elaborative.

No offense intended. :)