PAK-FA and FGFA Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
PratikDas
BRFite

Re: PAK-FA and FGFA Thread

Post by PratikDas »

^^^ Nice article. Thanks! I like the calm and confident attitude. I hope we see the fruits of their labour soon.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Item 117 (AL-41F1) Engine - Fiery Heart of the PAK-FA fighter (with english subtitles)

Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

Austin wrote:Thats like saying if Rahul Gandhi becomes the PM tomorrow the defence plans of MOD will change.

Those plans are based on long term planning and they don't change with change of government , heck with Putin at helm it will simply get more support. In the end defence budget its all budget deficit , debt ....as long as you can control those you can spend ......else you will end up with a situation where US or Europe is in
(Maybe not applicable to case specific, but in general..)

In my viewpoint its the reverse, political leadership and political situation guides the defense stance of a nation.

Research is a long term process one cannot fast forward that. What to research on is a completely politically driven process. With change in political situation people tend to drop few things of the priority list and put on new things.

For example congress had a stance that India will not go for a full nuclear test, and I don't think any ten years plan included a nuclear test in 1998. But Vajpayee decided to go for it and India became a nuclear powered state.

Vision of the leader is not a thing to be underestimated. That always leaves it's mark.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

I came across this excellent animated video of PAK-FA. Its worth a watch.
http://vimeo.com/30889105
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

Boreas wrote:
Austin wrote:Thats like saying if Rahul Gandhi becomes the PM tomorrow the defence plans of MOD will change.
Was just reading a post on BR itself where Rahul Gandhi was quoted as saying in parliment that India needs to start expanding its horizons as far as military might and reach is concerned and start expanding its sphere of influence.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

coming from the future Prime Minister of India, thats good to know :wink:
member_20029
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20029 »

P Chitkara wrote:If the AF is looking for a smaller 5th Gen from Russia - as suggested by some members, what direction will the AMCA take, where will it fit in?
well, I don't know if this has been said, but the Mikoyan LMFS may be probable for a small, single pilot fighter.
I don't think it can hold up the Air Superiority reins though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_LMFS
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
According to reliable Russian posters in various forums, LMFS project is dead. So, no hope from that front.
member_20029
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_20029 »

Gaur wrote:^^
According to reliable Russian posters in various forums, LMFS project is dead. So, no hope from that front.
oh. :(
I would have liked to see how that would have turned out...

sorry!
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

sooner we get the key deliverables into the pakfa the better
- new 5th gen engines
- side looking radars
- main and wing root radars
- new joint air dominance aam to outshoot the amraam-D and C7
- new joint wvr cagefight missile to replace the r73mk2.
- a new stealthy ARM of long legs
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

^ I think some of these are already ready or v.close - the ARM for example (KH-58ushke?). And possibly newer versions of the SRAAM/LRAAM.

One mijjile i'd really like to see in the IAF soon is the VLRAAM type - KS-172/R33. Now that would be a game changer.

CM
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Cain Marko wrote:One mijjile i'd really like to see in the IAF soon is the VLRAAM type - KS-172/R33. Now that would be a game changer.

CM
The KS-172 is probably a dead project but you can expect the RVV-BD/R-37 will soon find its way to the MKI , the PAK-FA will have a new VLRAAM as the RVV-BD wont fit the internal bay.
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

Austin wrote:
Cain Marko wrote:One mijjile i'd really like to see in the IAF soon is the VLRAAM type - KS-172/R33. Now that would be a game changer.

CM
The KS-172 is probably a dead project but you can expect the RVV-BD/R-37 will soon find its way to the MKI , the PAK-FA will have a new VLRAAM as the RVV-BD wont fit the internal bay.

RVV-BD is the only long range awacs killer missile in russia.i gues our mkis will get them.pak-fa will initially rely on rvv-sd and rvvmd before moving on to newer missiles
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

param.karandikar wrote:
P Chitkara wrote:If the AF is looking for a smaller 5th Gen from Russia - as suggested by some members, what direction will the AMCA take, where will it fit in?
well, I don't know if this has been said, but the Mikoyan LMFS may be probable for a small, single pilot fighter.
I don't think it can hold up the Air Superiority reins though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_LMFS
drdo,ada,hal can start developing amca with mig's help. i think we can easily expediate the amca by integrating a number of already existing subsystems. drdo can take their time in developing the indigenous stuff,they can take as much as time as possible :D .but that should not be at the cost of iaf. for amca we can initially integrate tvc versions of ej-200 or ge-f414 or rd-33mk. for modern cockpit we can use the COCKPIT NG solution from elbit. for hmd we can use bae hmss for eurofighter.iaf wants an indigenous aesa,so we can take helf from selex,eads and iai in creating a good aesa with swashplate wide field of regard stuff. ew ,jammmers rwr,mission computers ,towed decoys we can jointly develop with israeli companies like rafael,iai,elisra etc.,,for stealth we can take help from boeing (which is desperate to provide stealthy solutions with its super hornet international roadmap and f-15 silent eagle). thus by 2021 we can have amca in service.
let the drdo guys take their time
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the only example I know of clients being allowed to install own systems on american fighters is probably F-16Sufa where some Elisra ECM kit was put in. request to use EL-2032 was denied.

so no mix-n-match is possible if certain systems are denied or subject to intrusive monitoring. LM/Boeing themselves will find alternative kit, qualify it and use that for such clients.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

While we are at PAK-FA there is an interesting revelation of information by US congress on F-22 perhaps the closest rival of FGFA/PAK-FA , interesting becuase it revels information LM wont tell , there was an F-16 versus F-22 duel where the F-22 was shot down , while I was aware of F-18 duel and win , F-16 is new.

Perhaps the key reason why the program was quitely stopped although it was touted as silver bullet or is it too high tech to be a viable and practical war machine ?

But it makes a good read to avoid pitfalls for our programs.
Winslow T. Wheeler and Pierre M. Sprey on F-22

Study after study show that pilot skill dominates all other factors in winning or
losing air battles. The F-22's maintenance costs have the Air Force to
slash in-air pilot training. In the 1970s, fighter pilots were getting
20 to 30 hours a month of air combat training. Today, F-22 pilots get
10 to 12 hours. High tech theorists claim flying can be replaced by
ground simulators. Experience teaches that simulators can be used for
cockpit procedures training but, by misrepresenting in-air reality,
they reinforce tactics that could get pilots killed in real combat.

The Air Force, Lockheed, and their congressional boosters tout the
F-22 as the silver bullet of air combat. The F-22's so-called stealth
may hurt more than it helps. In truth, against short wavelength
radars, the F-22 is hard to detect only over a very narrow band of
viewing angles. Worse, there are thousands of existing long range,
long wavelength radars that can detect the F-22 from several hundred
miles away at all angles. Believers in stealth's invisibility should
ask the pilots of the two - not one, as commonly believed - stealthy
F-117 bombers taken out of action by old Russian radar-directed
defense systems in the 1999 Kosovo air war. Moreover, a new
whistleblower scandal is presenting evidence that the F-22's stealth
skin has failed to meet its stealth requirements because it has been
badly fabricated and dishonestly tested.

The vaunted invincibility of the F-22 founders on two incurable flaws:
First, the plane's so-called "low probability of intercept" radar may
now be easily detected, thanks to the proliferation of spread spectrum
technology in cell phones and laptops.
That creates an environment
where, if the F-22 pilot turns on his radar, he announces his presence
over hundreds of miles. Even better for the enemy, the radar makes an
unmistakable beacon for opposing missiles.

Second, when combat forces F-22 pilots to turn off radars, they'll
find themselves forced into a close-in, maneuvering fight. Compromised
by stealth and heavy radar electronics, the plane's agility, short
range missiles, and guns are nothing special - as one of us observed
at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada when an F-16 "shot down" an F-22 in
exercises.

As for the plane's advertised ability to cruise supersonically the
F-22's low fuel capacity (27% of takeoff weight, only two thirds of
what's needed for combat-useful supersonic endurance in enemy
airspace) reduces this to an air show trick.
Why the big fuel
shortfall? To make room for stealth technologies and radar
electronics.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

looks like the pakfa design has managed some things better with benefit of observing the F22 issues in hindsight - two tandem internal bays for heavy caliber missiles and should have a bigger fuel fraction of takeoff weight for persistence mashallah.

btw american fanboys went batnuts at gunsight and OSF footage taken by a rafale of a f22 during al dhafra exercise....anyone who says they can survive against the f22 and track it is automatically a huge liar!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2540567/posts
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Singha wrote:looks like the pakfa design has managed some things better with benefit of observing the F22 issues in hindsight - two tandem internal bays for heavy caliber missiles and should have a bigger fuel fraction of takeoff weight for persistence mashallah.
Strangely enough the PAK-FA is a smaller fighter then Su-35 but carries more internal fuel as reveled by Sergei Bogdan its test pilot.
btw american fanboys went batnuts at gunsight and OSF footage taken by a rafale of a f22 during al dhafra exercise....anyone who says they can survive against the f22 and track it is automatically a huge liar!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2540567/posts
If the single engine F-16 can get it the twin engine rafale with much better sensor fusion and superior flying qualities will get her as well.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

param.karandikar wrote:
Gaur wrote:^^
oh. :(
I would have liked to see how that would have turned out...

sorry!

Wouldnt be a bad idea for India to tie up with MIG for the AMCA. MIG probably has a ton of research info with regards to a 5th gen fighter. It would at least help to kick start the AMCA and bring down timelines and cost.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

PAkfa has to be a pragmatic product that interworks with legacy networks and fighters as well.

read somewhere the much hyped F22 zero-emission directional laser datalink works only with other raptors, so they cannot use that to exchange data with any other a/c in the usaf lol.

apart from ofcourse high cost, and a lack of suitability to the mud moving mission there might be other hidden gems as alluded to in the Austin article as to why numbers were so drastically cut from 800 to 200.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

1000s of man hrs spent on the topic of pakfa compressor blades being visible.

but the losing contender for JSF Boeing X-32 had this huge mouth which would certainly make some of the blades visible in the center. its weapons bays were along the sides rather than bottom (on current LM JSF)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikelynaug ... /lightbox/
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

The guided fan blade design angling to deflect the radar waves in the direction away from the source is interesting.. how ever the focus could be where the re-deflected wave is hitting and guided further on is the major aspect of the engine housing design.

I don't a major issue with radar deflections as much as IR emission issues for the pak-fa from the rear. I hope they have advanced on the passive scanning and detection as well, which is where raptor kills with a short burst scan + lock and disappear.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

Singha wrote:1000s of man hrs spent on the topic of pakfa compressor blades being visible.

but the losing contender for JSF Boeing X-32 had this huge mouth which would certainly make some of the blades visible in the center. its weapons bays were along the sides rather than bottom (on current LM JSF)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikelynaug ... /lightbox/
The X-32 was supposed to be stealthier but less maneuverable than the winner wasnt it?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

yes, but just like in mmrca deal, the usaf chose the one that is more agile, turn rates, and still carries all those stealth characteristically. sope, the lm became the raptor.

furthermore, I guess boeing was not without problems in terms of vtol and other issues.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe the X-32 hide the engine faces behind the side weapons bays and used a Y-splitter in the center to push air in. also the chin intake is very far fwd vs typical ones like F16/tiffy and slightly angled up. this might contain any reflected radar waves.
Pogula
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pogula »

Check this blog discussion out on Col. Ajai Shukla's blog (BROADSWORD) on his relentless crusade against the MMRCA and for the JSF program.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID ... 5848058112

If you scroll down to Col. Shukla's response on "1 November 2011 13:04" to some of the reader comments, you will read this:
Firstly… why do I not mention that India is engaged in a partnership with Russia to produce a “fifth generation” PAK-FA? Simple answer! The PAK-FA is not a fifth generation fighter, and will never be unless India funds every paisa of the Russian R&D that is needed to make it so. I happen to know a great deal about the PAK-FA programme. And you’ll have to wait to read about it, which I promise will happen soon.
And then, again, another comment from Col. Shukla on "2 November 2011 08:03" on his take on FGFA vs. J-20:
And for those who say that the FGFA will be superior to the J-20… I can only say that they must have a crystal ball that I don’t. None of us can say with any confidence that the FGFA will be superior to the J-20. And, looking at the trajectories of Russia on the one hand, and China on the other, I am willing to bet a magnum of champagne that the J-20 (regardless of where it is today) will be a superior product to the FGFA in the 2020s. The Russians simply don’t have the will any longer.
1. What exactly constitutes a 5th Gen fighter? Is there even a definition set in stone about these generation allocations?
2. All the gurus and enthusiasts on BR might want to throw some light on Col. Shukla's claims that PAK-FA is going to be a 4th Gen fighter by default!
3. How does China, a country that still uses Russian engines and radars in their current 4th generation projects, suddenly overtake Russia in 5th generation engine, avionics, weapons and stealth? (No matter how much is spent by China on R&D, theft and reverse engineering).
4. Who on BR is willing to side with Col. Shukla and bet their magnum of champaign that the J-20 will outclass our FGFA?
5. I am really looking forward to the Colonel's promised blog on the PAK-FA in the near future.

Whatever the case, Shuklaji just gave this thread a lot of fodder to ruminate on :mrgreen: haha
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

if one considers raptor, then:-
1. all aspect stealth [RF, IR, Optical? - is there a paint that reflects the color of the surrounding light?]
2. super cruise
3. advanced sensor package including passive and active lpi, with mission computing and awacs integration.
4. internal weapons or weapons designed per 1 above.

the above should match raptor.. of course, generations can be different considering the previous generation features. in the sense, your 6 could me my 5 or reverse.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

er I had posted gun camera footage taken by rafale in DACT with F22.
F22 is kind a one trick pony - if its initial amraam shot does not work, it will come in range of enemy radar and aam shots too. both the e-canards should have its measure once they can track / see it as the rafale did.
and it also talks to other ponies of its same breed onlee - does not have the laser data exchange etc with F-15 / F-16 and other non blue blooded 'donkeys'
some of its brochure specs are not yet there due to fund cuts and delay pushbacks but fanboys use guerilla mkting to refer them as present...some capabilites are unlikely to be ever funded.

JSF's stealth story is good looking only when using a bunch of 250lb SDB bombs, 2 x 2000lb internal carriage of PGM is probably not a huge leveller....
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Rumor has it that the X-32 lost because the AF/MC/USN brass thought it was 'ugly' and they did not want to be seen flying it. :)

On the Raptor being a one trick pony, I remember reading F-15 pilots saying theY could see the F-22 with their own eyes but their sensors and weapons could not. Go figure.

Added later: Re the Wheeler and Sprey article. If they are right, the only logical explanation for the US refusing to export the F-22 would be that they don't want anyone to know how useless it is...:)
Last edited by Cosmo_R on 07 Nov 2011 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

Cosmo_R wrote:
On the Raptor being a one trick pony, I remember reading F-15 pilots saying the could see the F-22 with their own eyes but their sensors and weapons could not. Go figure
The TFTA F-15 lacks L-band radar :wink:

From the F-22's performance in air shows / simulated combats so far, except for the Khanate fighter, every other fighter (such as Rafale) seems to get the better of it.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

In reality the Stealth Advantage of F-22 ( or for that matter PAK-FA ) is in the ability to fire the first BVR Shot and using Supercruise Kinematics to its advantage , thats the best they can hope for in an early kill.

Once the merge happens and it ends in 1 vs many ,many vs many or 1 vs 1 , it will boil down to superior aerodynamic performance ,kinematics ,T/W and supermanouverability and Sensor Fusion and Weapons . Stealth will offer almost very little or no advantage , as any decent modern radar ,EO/IIR/IRST will be able to see stealth fighter as Rafale camera/EO footage shows. Any aircraft that has these advantage will win at the end of day.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Cosmo_R wrote:On the Raptor being a one trick pony, I remember reading F-15 pilots saying theY could see the F-22 with their own eyes but their sensors and weapons could not. Go figure.
Thats comical , So the kills of F-18,F-16 , Rafale against F-22 is because the pilots could see it and sensor could not.

Probably they need to hire future pilots with the best vision possible as thats the only weapon that can effectively deal with stealth as sensors cannot see them :rotfl:

Oh I forgot the kills of Zoltan Dani against F-117 using old SA-3 SAM and radars in a mid night sortie , I guess he used his eye to aim at F-117 and kill it :lol:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Austin wrote:
Cosmo_R wrote:On the Raptor being a one trick pony, I remember reading F-15 pilots saying theY could see the F-22 with their own eyes but their sensors and weapons could not. Go figure.
Thats comical , So the kills of F-18,F-16 , Rafale against F-22 is because the pilots could see it and sensor could not.

Probably they need to hire future pilots with the best vision possible as thats the only weapon that can effectively deal with stealth as sensors cannot see them :rotfl:

Oh I forgot the kills of Zoltan Dani against F-117 using old SA-3 SAM and radars in a mid night sortie , I guess he used his eye to aim at F-117 and kill it :lol:
"All-Aspect Stealth: The F-22A offers full stealth, unlike the F-35 which has a very good radar profile from the front, a less stealthy profile from the sides, and a least stealthy profile from the rear quarter. Note that stealth is not invisibility. It merely shortens the range at which an aircraft can be detected by opponents on the ground or in the air, and makes radar lock for engagements harder to achieve and to keep. The F-22’s stealth level shortens those ranges considerably from all enemy positions, even those that use new VHF radars. See this surprising review from Red Flag “Colonial Flag” 2007, as an Australian exchange pilot offers his impressions:

“I can’t see the [expletive deleted] thing,” said RAAF Squadron Leader Stephen Chappell, exchange F-15 pilot in the 65th Aggressor Squadron. “It won’t let me put a weapons system on it, even when I can see it visually through the canopy. [Flying against the F-22] annoys the hell out of me.”

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f22 ... ted-02908/

Perhaps you could tell Steve to get better glasses.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

^^ Exactly such cocky story is just the myth created around a super duper fighter that spends more time on maintenance then in air.

Reality is stealth is detected depending on the band of the radar and how close is the object to the radar and the angle and many such stuff . Neither the F-22 is undetectable nor is PAK-FA , it is just the question of how you exploit known radar weakness and using low RCS to take the first movers advantage.

If Stealth was not detectable it wouldnt have been shot down by a SA-3 using some 60 radar technology , you just needed a smart sam operator to exploit the weakness.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Austin, both may be correct. the RAAF pilot may be speaking the truth given the sensors at his disposal. this was quite a few years back IIRC. counter VLO tech and tactics have improved since then.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Reminds me of that old Groucho Marx joke: "Who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?"
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Austin,you're quite correct about the fact thta so-called stealth aircraft are not totally stealthy and are vulnerable too. I've posted in the MMRCA thread a Rand report on the JSF,"double inferior" in WVR to SU-30s and the reduction in stealth capability as new sensors and countermeasures are being developed.Both F-22 and JSF carry only 4 AAMs in internal bays and when faced with numerically superior numbers,will have to turn tail and run.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

OK, so I repeat my question. If the F22 is NOT what it's cracked up (OK sorry no canopy joke here) to be, why is there an embargo on exports even to closest ally Israel followed by Japan and Oz?

What are they hiding a Potemkin Raptor?

Inquiring minds want to know