Bharat Rakshak

Consortium of Indian Defence Websites
It is currently 26 Nov 2014 12:14

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 88  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 17:06 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 23 Mar 2010 21:47
Posts: 237
Location: New Delhi
Y I Patel wrote:
Rohit, thanks :)

In this case, the summary, while colorful, does grave injustice to the horrendous complexity of the manuever. Basically it involves moving the formations and logistics train of a 60k strong strike corps through the positions occupied by the formations of the pivot corps that have created and are holding open a breach in the enemy lines. The movement may have to happen in dark, under fire, and over suspect or damaged infrastructure. All the while both formations will need to keep guard against ambushes, counter attacks and missile strikes.

What all of this requires is tremendously sophisticated C4I capabilities, which have now been repeatedly tested in other exercises.

Kudos to IA and IAF for taking our plains warfare doctrine to a new league.


True indeed. However, The preferred method of committing second echelon force is through gaps or around flanks of the first echelon forces. Generally speaking field commanders have avoided a situation of a passage of lines and intermingling of forces.


Somehow, I just feel it is old wine new bottle or a more politically acceptable CSD concept for the Army .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 18:19 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 30 Dec 2005 18:28
Posts: 10113
Location: Kali blessing station No 5, Mleccha Defence Tower No 34, Harshavardhan Line - Western Sector
manouvre is as old as the history of warfare... what is new here is the networked C4I capability


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 19:32 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 20:53
Posts: 672
Indian Army's AK-47 rifles to get holographic sights


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 21:17 
Offline
Forum Moderator

Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Posts: 38599
rohitvats wrote:
Y I Patel wrote:
<SNIP> Oh, how quitely history gets made. From now on, there will be no concentration of the strike corps on the border. Instead, the pivot corps will knock the door down and then a pass-through maneuver (as being rehearsed in this exercise) will be used to let loose the strike corps into the breach. Only question is, by what name will this rose be called?


That is most succint analysis of CSD for the BRF jirga. :D


Operation Durvasa!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 21:39 
Offline
BRFite -Trainee

Joined: 08 Oct 2010 16:28
Posts: 81
Location: Bangalore
karan_mc wrote:


Chalo der aaye durust aaye. Very good news! Looking forward to the day when it will become standard issue on all rifles and not be 'rationed'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 21:51 
Offline
Forum Moderator

Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Posts: 38599
karan_mc wrote:



I thought the AK-47 was an inherently inaccurate weapon. Its good for firing a spray of bullets.

Is this like putting lipstick on a pig?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 23:40 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31
Posts: 11589
AK-47 are as accurate as any thing out there at short ranges ( ~ 200 m ) its only at long ranges where to tend to loose on accuracy and the spray bullet thing came up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011 15:07 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 07 Dec 2008 02:32
Posts: 987
Army Chief to visit Uzbekistan & Khazakhistan

link2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011 09:56 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 15 Jan 2005 03:30
Posts: 2925
Army's air defence units get more firepower.

After years of neglect and delay, India is finally adding much-needed teeth to its Army air defence units to guard against hostile aircraft, helicopters and drones attacking high-value targets.

With a wide array of radars and surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems planned for induction, contracts worth over Rs 17,000 crore have been inked and several more are in the pipeline for the air defence artillery corps, say sources.

A major overhaul of the Army's air defence weapons is needed because over 70% of its existing inventory is obsolete or nearing obsolescence. The country's overall air defence may primarily be IAF's responsibility, but the Army too requires advanced surveillance, automation and weapon systems to ensure it can detect and destroy enemy aircraft much before they release their weapons.

While the IAF may be superior to Pakistan air force, the Army air defence units across the border are much better equipped, with quick-reaction missiles and man-portable SAMs like laser-guided stingers and mistral.

To address this imbalance, India has launched the procurement process for three types of SAMs - medium-range, quick-reaction and man-portable short-range missile systems - to replace the air defence corps' old Russian-origin Kvadrat, Strela and other systems.

These will be in addition to two regiments of the indigenous Akash systems, with six firing batteries and hundreds of missiles each, ordered at a cost of Rs 14,180 crore. "Deliveries of Akash missile systems to the Army will begin from March 2013," said a source. The IAF is also slated to get eight Akash squadrons - six of them will be based in the north-east to counter China - for Rs 6,200 crore.

The 25-km-range Akash is designed to neutralize multiple aerial targets attacking from several directions simultaneously, including sub-sonic cruise missiles, in all-weather conditions.

Besides, the Rs 750-crore project is underway to upgrade about 50 Shilka anti-aircraft armoured vehicles, which are equipped with four 23mm automatic cannons each, and imported from Russia in the mid-1980s. Simultaneously, the Army air defence units are also on course to induct about 30 three-dimensional tactical control radars, which can track airborne targets up to 90-km away, and over 15 low-level light-weight radars, which can be used in mountainous terrain, for over Rs 1,500 crore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 01:50 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 18 Jun 2000 11:31
Posts: 1740
Army wants young MPs to witness battle drill in Rajasthan
Quote:
The army wants young MPs to witness an ongoing military exercise in Rajasthan to gain a first-hand experience on the battle drill, involving around 50,000 troops, 300 tanks and 250 artillery guns.

President Pratibha Patil and Defence Minister A.K. Antony will also watch the exercise - Sudarshan Shakti - in Bikaner, Jaisalmer and Pokhran on December 5.

The army is awaiting nod from the government to take some of the MPs, who are below 40, to the exercise ground. Sources said the army is seeking the participation of young MPs as they would be the decision makers in the future.

In fact, several MPs had recently conveyed to Antony their wish to be given exposure to the functioning of the armed forces.

If the proposal is cleared, the MPs would be taken to the exercise area on December 2, three days ahead of the proposed visit of Patil and Antony.

Troops were mobilised over the last two months to prepare for the final thrust, beginning December 1. It will be the culmination of the army's exercise, involving Bhopal-based 21 corps, a strike formation, and the Indian Air Force's (IAF) exercise, Mahagujraj.

New technologies and concepts are being tried in the latest training exercise, in which modern battlefield concepts would be experimented.

The ground troops are being supported by IAF's fighter jets Jaguars, Su-30 MKIs, Mig-27s and Mig-21 Bisons. Officials said the manoeuvers would include swift armour thrusts, supported by the air force's ground attack offensive.

The entire span of a training exercise for a corps is restricted to three months. The exercise began in the first week of October and will reach its final stage on December 1.


Very good move by IA


Last edited by VinodTK on 23 Nov 2011 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 06:13 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 05 May 2006 21:28
Posts: 321
Location: Gujarat
Army in pursuit of winged dream

Quote:
a squadron each of attack/armed, reconnaissance/observation and tactical battle-support copters for each of its 13 corps.


Quote:
The three 'strike' corps, with HQs at Mathura (1 Corps), Ambala (2 Corps) and Bhopal (21 Corps) will get more 'air assets' in keeping with their primary offensive role, say sources.


Quote:
To top it off, each of Army's six regional or operational commands will at least get 'a flight' of five fixed-wing aircraft for tactical airlift of troops and equipment.


Ankit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 06:37 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 29 Oct 2003 12:31
Posts: 26336
Location: NowHere
How about a regulation all those winged dream must be carrying "Ingeniously Made in India" tag? I am sure this a give and take they can afford.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 08:16 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 09 Aug 2011 05:34
Posts: 114
Location: Exosphere
Ankit Desai wrote:
Army in pursuit of winged dream

Quote:
a squadron each of attack/armed, reconnaissance/observation and tactical battle-support copters for each of its 13 corps.


Quote:
The three 'strike' corps, with HQs at Mathura (1 Corps), Ambala (2 Corps) and Bhopal (21 Corps) will get more 'air assets' in keeping with their primary offensive role, say sources.


Quote:
To top it off, each of Army's six regional or operational commands will at least get 'a flight' of five fixed-wing aircraft for tactical airlift of troops and equipment.


Ankit

Doesn't sound like wishful thinking. All modern armies have all if not most of the above capabilities. The Army should be responsible for CLOSE air support, but never for anything beyond say 100 miles. This will overlap & complicate responsibilities of the Airforce.
I disagree with the Army being responsible for troop & equipment airlifts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 08:53 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 09 Aug 2011 05:34
Posts: 114
Location: Exosphere
Quote:
http://bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=16829
Indian Army to deploy ‘Rudra’ along Pakistan border.

Wasteful thinking. Given the well established and proven technology of using armed UAV's, this seems to be a wasteful expenditure of cash & resources. Sure enough, airborne troops are a must for the border security and the Rudra could play a pivotal role in apprehending the bad guys.

But I'd rather kill them in their own shit and leave their rotting carcasses strewn around as a bleak reminder for their followers. No IAI Heron, we need Predator's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 08:57 
Offline
Forum Moderator

Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Posts: 38599
I want one squadron of fighter attack planes per strike division.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 10:10 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 09 Feb 2009 16:58
Posts: 913
Pakistan raising green wall along border to blind BSF (Kanachak),

Quote:
While continuing making concrete bunkers along the international border in the Jammu area, Pakistan is erecting a wall of trees to block the view of the BSF. The line of sight has reduced from 2 km to half-a-km or less, where the saplings have grown to considerable height.

With foggy winter approaching fast, the BSF is worried that the blocked sight would aid infiltration in the region. They have formally (in writing) objected to the Pak Rangers, who replied they were just planting saplings for the sake of environment.

Some saplings planted within last year have grown to considerable height in this highly sensitive and strategic border area near Akhnoor. Encouraged by it, new saplings have now been planted on almost all along the border from Kathua to Akhnoor. The new saplings have come especially in the Samba-RS Pura belt, from where infiltration attempts are often made.

Despite four wars and the continuous proxy war against India, this move to use a natural wall of trees to block movement across the border has been observed for the first time.

The Tribune team witnessed the obstruction in the line of sight of the BSF during the day as well as night hours on this border. BSF sources said they pruned some of the trees, whose branches extended to Indian side, but they can’t uproot trees as they were away from Zero Line.

Most of the trees or the saplings are of Sheesham species but at some places the fast growing ‘Arandi’ (Castor) tree were also planted. This tree spreads in a large area fast as it strews seeds all around it.

The BSF is relying heavily on night vision equipment using the thermal imaging or the satellite imaging to keep a watch on the activity in the counterpart area. “It is an issue of grave concern for us. Earlier, it was just the seasonal wild grass ‘sarkanda’ in which militants used to hide before attempting to enter India. The trees would be there for all time,” a BSF official said.


http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111123/main4.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 10:19 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 09 Feb 2009 16:58
Posts: 913
lucky= goc-c north com gets a ride in a jaguar dpsa

Quote:
As part of exercise in jointness, Lt Gen KT Parnaik flew in a Jaguar Deep Penetration Strike Aircraft of TUSKER squadron of AF Station Ambala today. The Jaguar flew over the entire J&K to give an operational overview to the Army Commander.
A joint operational directive between the two commands was formulated and signed by Lt Gen KT Parnaik, GOC-in- C, Northern Command and Air Marshal DC Kumaria, AOC-in-C, Western Air Command at New Delhi yesterday.


http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 10:27 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 06 Oct 2009 00:16
Posts: 161
One of those articles which slipped through the cracks, but provides very significant details on CSD et al....

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/newsrf.php?newsid=16829

Quote:
the Indian Army has been forming an Integrated Battle Group to be deployed at eight locations along the Pakistan border.
The group will be equipped to face the enemies until the strike core reaches the war front. The South Command of the Army is undergoing war practice in the Thar dessert under this strategy.


Quote:
The group will be entirely mechanized at Brigadier and division level


Quote:
The group is expected to be deployed in Amritsar, Moga, Suratgarh, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Barmer and Palanpur in Rajasthan.


Quote:
Meanwhile, Pakistan is also engaged in making a new army camp near the eastern border of Chor in Sindh and new Chor area for which additional forces are being called up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 10:36 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Posts: 8338
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar
wig wrote:
lucky= goc-c north com gets a ride in a jaguar dpsa

Quote:
As part of exercise in jointness, Lt Gen KT Parnaik flew in a Jaguar Deep Penetration Strike Aircraft of TUSKER squadron of AF Station Ambala today. The Jaguar flew over the entire J&K to give an operational overview to the Army Commander.
A joint operational directive between the two commands was formulated and signed by Lt Gen KT Parnaik, GOC-in- C, Northern Command and Air Marshal DC Kumaria, AOC-in-C, Western Air Command at New Delhi yesterday.


http://www.dailyexcelsior.com/

Didnt the same gent do the same thing during the last exercise ( Vijayee Bhava or some other one) also?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 11:57 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Posts: 8338
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar
DDM at its finest:
Operation Sudarshan Shakti in Dec

Quote:
Close to 300 tanks and 250 heavy artillery guns will blaze fire for 15 days in the western front next month as the Army and Indian Air Force (IAF) would engage in a massive war-game, Operation Sudarshan Shakti, in the desert.

The exercise would help the Army’s Bhopal-based 21 Corpse to validate some of the new technologies it acquired in the last four years since its last major exercise, Dakshin Shakti.

The guns and tanks will be handled by 15000 troops from 21 Corpse, who would be supported by the IAF’s south-western command. The 15-day exercise would commence on December 1.

The exercise would take place in a theater of 175 km x 150 km area covering Barmer, Jaisalmer, Pokhran and Pachpadra, said an officer from 21 Corpse.

Both T-90 and T-72 tanks along with heavy duty guns would be in action in the exercise, the built up for which had began since September end.

Senior officials in the Army headquarters, however, ruled out any connection between the exercise and the recent developments across the border as the exercise was planned two-three years ago.

Pakistani government has been duly notified about the war game, which would take place 150-200 km away from the border. While the exercise will be based on the integrated theatre battle concept, its main purpose is to validate the new technologies like digitised control of artillery fire, battlefield surveillance and other equipment, which was acquired in the last four years.

None were tested in an integrated manner in a battlefield scenario although individually they pass the muster. This is the first time that the armed forces are going to test its new capability-based tactics in a battlefield scenario.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011 13:07 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 07 Apr 2010 19:02
Posts: 181
sum wrote:
DDM at its finest:
Operation Sudarshan Shakti in Dec

Quote:
The exercise would take place in a theater of 175 km x 150 km area covering Barmer, Jaisalmer, Pokhran and Pachpadra, said an officer from 21 Corpse.




:lol: :rotfl: :twisted: :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011 17:26 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 25 Jul 2009 21:28
Posts: 232
Have Fauj Fans seen this:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/home-ministry-plans-to-modify-police-uniform/1/161383.html

Quote:
The country's police will soon get a makeover with the boring uniform giving way to a smarter and more comfortable version.

The Union home ministry has commissioned a study in which uniforms of police from across the world will be observed.

This will form the basis for modifying the uniform the Indian police wear, which was essentially designed in the pre-Independence era.


I remember discussing the topic of Uniform Changes with ASPuar and Gaur probably some time in Mar 2010. The idea then was that even though parity and precedence in GoI is defined by Pay Grade (Grade Pay), the Army (not so much for IAF & IN) faces a particular challenge in parity with police as police rank insignia are same as Army.

I had argued then that as police in most states have given themselves rank promotions and appointments at will, it often puts a Col/Lt.Col to shame in front of an IPS officer of far lower service seniority. Further I had said that, since police and home ministry might be inflexible on insignia change probably it would be a good idea for IA to adopt distinct insignia a-la IN & IAF.

But now comes this, like a gift from above. I only hope and pray that this goes through and apart from changing the uniforms they also change the rank insignias of Police as well. If that happens lot of people will feel better.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011 18:07 
Offline
Forum Moderator

Joined: 17 Aug 2005 21:09
Posts: 14107
Location: General Error : Bhery Phamous General !
sum wrote:
Didnt the same gent do the same thing during the last exercise ( Vijayee Bhava or some other one) also?

wasn't that Lt Gen Shankar Ghosh, GOC WC ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011 19:11 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 07 Feb 2001 12:31
Posts: 1540
Location: Republic of India
Anirban, Lt Col type badges are worn by IPS officers who are district SP's, even though they are not in the same govt pay grade as a Ltcol.

In fact, most SP's are a full two ranks below LtCol in Pay Grade.

Again, Assistant Commandants in CPMF's wear three stars, but they are equatable only to Lieutenant in the Indian Army, even though their insignia is that of captain.

Doubt that the police will give up their inflated insignia. Theyve worked hard over the last 60 years to get things this way, starting with a home ministry move in the 1950s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011 19:26 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 09 Jan 2010 13:30
Posts: 7363
anirban_aim wrote:
But now comes this, like a gift from above. I only hope and pray that this goes through and apart from changing the uniforms they also change the rank insignias of Police as well. If that happens lot of people will feel better.

It may not change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011 20:00 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 02 Mar 2008 21:10
Posts: 963
^^^ Rather than wait for someone else to change, this may help better...
http://idsa.in/system/files/IB_ManpowerPolicyinIndianArmedForces.pdf
...for a change from within.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011 20:05 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 25 Jul 2009 21:28
Posts: 232
ASPuar wrote:
Anirban, Lt Col type badges are worn by IPS officers who are district SP's, even though they are not in the same govt pay grade as a Ltcol.

In fact, most SP's are a full two ranks below LtCol in Pay Grade.

Again, Assistant Commandants in CPMF's wear three stars, but they are equatable only to Lieutenant in the Indian Army, even though their insignia is that of captain.


I'm acutely aware of this Sir. :x Thats why expressing the cherished hope

anirban_aim wrote:
I only hope and pray that this goes through and apart from changing the uniforms they also change the rank insignias of Police as well. If that happens lot of people will feel better.


But as you and Chanakya point out:

ASPuar wrote:
Doubt that the police will give up their inflated insignia. Theyve worked hard over the last 60 years to get things this way, starting with a home ministry move in the 1950s.


chaanakya wrote:
It may not change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011 20:31 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 30 Apr 2009 02:02
Posts: 1635
Location: Standing at the edge of the cliff
ASPuar wrote:
In fact, most SP's are a full two ranks below LtCol in Pay Grade.

So, a Superintendent of Police is equivalent to Army Captain??? I thought they were also like CPMF officers, just a grade below the Army officer of equivalent insignia..

ASPuar wrote:
Again, Assistant Commandants in CPMF's wear three stars, but they are equatable only to Lieutenant in the Indian Army, even though their insignia is that of captain.

True, but most of them understand their position and don't go boasting around, well atleast the ones i met from BSF didn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 02:11 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 08 Oct 2009 19:14
Posts: 367
wig wrote:
Pakistan raising green wall along border to blind BSF (Kanachak),

Quote:
While continuing making concrete bunkers along the international border in the Jammu area, Pakistan is erecting a wall of trees to block the view of the BSF. The line of sight has reduced from 2 km to half-a-km or less, where the saplings have grown to considerable height.

With foggy winter approaching fast, the BSF is worried that the blocked sight would aid infiltration in the region. They have formally (in writing) objected to the Pak Rangers, who replied they were just planting saplings for the sake of environment.

Some saplings planted within last year have grown to considerable height in this highly sensitive and strategic border area near Akhnoor. Encouraged by it, new saplings have now been planted on almost all along the border from Kathua to Akhnoor. The new saplings have come especially in the Samba-RS Pura belt, from where infiltration attempts are often made.

Despite four wars and the continuous proxy war against India, this move to use a natural wall of trees to block movement across the border has been observed for the first time.

The Tribune team witnessed the obstruction in the line of sight of the BSF during the day as well as night hours on this border. BSF sources said they pruned some of the trees, whose branches extended to Indian side, but they can’t uproot trees as they were away from Zero Line.

Most of the trees or the saplings are of Sheesham species but at some places the fast growing ‘Arandi’ (Castor) tree were also planted. This tree spreads in a large area fast as it strews seeds all around it.

The BSF is relying heavily on night vision equipment using the thermal imaging or the satellite imaging to keep a watch on the activity in the counterpart area. “It is an issue of grave concern for us. Earlier, it was just the seasonal wild grass ‘sarkanda’ in which militants used to hide before attempting to enter India. The trees would be there for all time,” a BSF official said.


http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111123/main4.htm


The BSF and also army should pick up a few Russian TOS -1 heavy flamethrowers and let them loose every now and then. These babies will burn anything out to 8 Kms. They should also get lots of Shemels as well - these are good to 700 meters.

In fact we should have a lot of flame throwers in action against the pigs..this will be also have a huge demotivating effect on the pigs as the last thing they would want before their 72 is getting roasted to get there...easier also to smoke the buggers out from hiding places.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 02:58 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 09 Nov 2008 06:48
Posts: 829
Location: RAW HQ, Lodhi Road
jai wrote:
The BSF and also army should pick up a few Russian TOS -1 heavy flamethrowers and let them loose every now and then. These babies will burn anything out to 8 Kms. They should also get lots of Shemels as well - these are good to 700 meters.

In fact we should have a lot of flame throwers in action against the pigs..this will be also have a huge demotivating effect on the pigs as the last thing they would want before their 72 is getting roasted to get there...easier also to smoke the buggers out from hiding places.


TOS-1 uses a rocket-launched system. IMO, too heavily armored. It can justifiably be construed as an act of war. We might be able to get away with it once with grave risks on our part, but the Pakis will only have to throw some seeds around to push the situation back to square one.

IMO we should just throw some of the yellow wire-like plants that we find on trees all the time in North India. This plant spreads fast from one tree to other, kills any growth by covering the tree and is next to impossible to take out. Just throw a few inches across the border and within a few months, the wall will become yellow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 07:26 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 18 Jun 2000 11:31
Posts: 1740
Slow construction of border rods irks Indian Army
Quote:
NEW DELHI: Indian government has admitted that only 15 out of 73 road projects were completed alongwith Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China.

Indian army has also showed concerned over slow progress in construction of the border roads and demanded the government that infrastructure build-up within 50 km of LAC as well as LoC with Pakistan should be exempted from requisite environmental and other clearances.

"Out of the 73 roads identified as strategic border roads, 15 have been completed, 39 are scheduled to be completed by 2013 and the remaining 19 roads would be completed by 2016," said Indian defence minister A K Anthony in a written reply to a question in Rajiya Sabha (upper house of Indian parliament)

He said that the major factors for the sluggish progress are delay in getting no objection certificate for Forest and Wildlife Department and harsh weather conditions.

Anthony in his reply admitted that the progress in the construction of roads is slow since China has aggressively strengthened its military capabilities in the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR). Now China has five operational airbases, an extensive rail network and over 58,000-km of roads in TAR, which had made it possible for China to swiftly move over 30 divisions army to the LAC, which outnumbered Indian forces by at least three ratio one.

The 15 roads constructed by India so far measure around 600-km out of the total of 3,808 km required for the 73 all-weather roads. The 73 roads, when completed would cover all the three sectors of LAC including Ladakh, Uttarakhand and Sikkim.

India has took several steps to strengthen her defence capabilities alongwith the China border These measures included planning for a new mountain strike corps (over 45,000 troops) after raising two new mountain infantry divisions, with 1,260 officers and 35,011 soldiers in Nagaland and Assam. In addition to this India on LAC also deployed Sukhoi-30MKI fighters, spy drones, helicopters and missile squadrons in the northeastern border..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 11:42 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 07 Feb 2001 12:31
Posts: 1540
Location: Republic of India
Bala Vignesh wrote:
ASPuar wrote:
In fact, most SP's are a full two ranks below LtCol in Pay Grade.

So, a Superintendent of Police is equivalent to Army Captain??? I thought they were also like CPMF officers, just a grade below the Army officer of equivalent insignia..

ASPuar wrote:
Again, Assistant Commandants in CPMF's wear three stars, but they are equatable only to Lieutenant in the Indian Army, even though their insignia is that of captain.

True, but most of them understand their position and don't go boasting around, well atleast the ones i met from BSF didn't.


Hi Bala.

A superintendent of police can be in various grades.

1. Senior Time Scale (Junior most), 4-9yrs of service: Today, it is equivalent to Major, though till 2008 they were paid the same as a Captain

2. Junior Admin Grade: 8-10 years service: Today, not equivalent to any army rank, but equitable to CPO 2-i-c rank. Whereas CPO 2-I-C and IPS JAG get paid Pay Band 3, Grade Pay 7600, Army Lt Col gets paid Pay Band 4, Grade Pay 8000. There is no rank in the army which gets paid PB3 GP 7600.

3. NFSG, IPS 10-14 years service: Today, equivalent to Full COlonel in pay, till 2008 used to get paid less than LtCol.

So a lieutenant colonel in the army gets paid more than an STS and JAG IPS officer, but of course, even a SP with four years service wears similar badges to a LtCols rank badges.

An SP of course, also has tremendous clout and power, no matter what his length of service may be, which enhances his status. In the army, a Lt Col used to be a senior officer, but over the years, the army itself has diluted the importance of its own ranks, posting LtCols as 2nd in commands, and making it non select rank. So part of the fall in status is the armys own fault. One can hardly blame the cops for trying to raise their own status.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 11:53 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 05 Mar 2001 12:31
Posts: 4657
Recently a relative went to Leh.

something he reported annoys me. He reported construction activity along the roads and groups of workers many a times requesting for any spare water his car maybe carrying.

He could not remember whether they were BRO or not. But it worries me that we are sending poor workers out there without facilities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 14:59 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Posts: 2155
Location: NullPointerException
Surya wrote:
Recently a relative went to Leh.

something he reported annoys me. He reported construction activity along the roads and groups of workers many a times requesting for any spare water his car maybe carrying.

He could not remember whether they were BRO or not. But it worries me that we are sending poor workers out there without facilities.


Is that a surprise? They are likely to be working for BRO or GREF but may be temporary workers. I have seen them in single digit weather without warm clothes, god knows what they do when its night. Situation looks the same at least in another border area.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 18:41 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 09 Jan 2010 13:30
Posts: 7363
Scales of Pay IPS Group A

Junior Time Scale=15,600-39,100+GP5400 (Asst. SP)
Senior Time Scale=15,600-39,100+GP6600 (Addl. SP)
Junior Admin Grade(JAG)=15,600-39,100+GP7600 (SP)
Selection Grade=37,400-67,000+GP8700 (SSP)
Super Time Scale=37,400-67,000+GP8900 (DIG)
Senior Admin Grade=37,400-67,000+GP10000 (IGP)
Higher Admin Grade=67,000-79,000 (ADGP)
Apex Scale=80,0000 (fixed) (DGP)
Probably you can plot the insignia/badges/pips correspondingly and also work the equivalences with Army ranks. Else I can post that as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011 18:49 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 09 Jan 2010 13:30
Posts: 7363
ASPuar wrote:


An SP of course, also has tremendous clout and power, no matter what his length of service may be, which enhances his status. In the army, a Lt Col used to be a senior officer, but over the years, the army itself has diluted the importance of its own ranks, posting LtCols as 2nd in commands, and making it non select rank. So part of the fall in status is the armys own fault. One can hardly blame the cops for trying to raise their own status.

You are right.Its part of public perception and the authority conferred by Law on these officers in dealing with law and order, implementation of thousands of acts (or its non implementation) and criminal investigation and powers under CrPC/IPC which provides tremendous control/authority. If Martial Law is imposed then Army would get primacy. AFSPA is another act which gives importance to Army in Civilian life. In Areas designated under Army control it has tremendous authority but public interaction is limited so only in extraordinary situation it would get appreciated. Protocol is governed by Warrant of Precedence and it does not figure officers below JS rank.But in a District , Collectors/Deputy Commissioner and SP is having full authority notwithstanding pay grade.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011 14:37 
Offline
BRF Oldie

Joined: 08 May 2007 17:04
Posts: 8338
Location: (IT-vity && DRDO) nagar
An unfortunate side-effect of Ex.Sudarshan Shakti:
*deleted* found dead in Army camp 5 armymen booked[/url]

Quote:
Three heads of Gazelles and uncooked meat were today seized from an Army tank repair unit in Barmer in Rajasthan, after which it ordered a Court of Inquiry (CoI) to investigate the matter.

Five armymen have been booked and question in connection with the incident.
The remains of the *deleted* (Indian gazelle) and the uncooked meat was recovered from the camp of 88 Armoured Workshop, which is there to take part in the Operation Sudershan Shakti being conducted by the Bhopal-based 21 Strike Corps.

"Following a tip off, we went to the camp at Neemla area near Sheo Tehsil in the district and recovered three heads and uncooked meat. An army gypsy was also seized at the spot", Deputy Conservator of Forest in Barmer district B R Bhadu told PTI.

He said the *deleted* were apparently brought in the Service vehicle and that is why it was seized.

*deleted* is included in the endangered species list of India and hunting of these animals is banned.

Bhadu said a case was registered under sections 9 to 51 of Wildlife Protection Act-1972. Punishment for offences under these sections carry a maximum punishment of seven year jail term.

Meanwhile, Army Spokesperson Colonel S D Goswamy said a COI has been ordered into the issue and if anyone is found guilty, strict action will be taken against them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011 18:23 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 07 Feb 2001 12:31
Posts: 1540
Location: Republic of India
In their defence, the accused armymen have stated that they purchased the meat from a local village.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011 02:25 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 30 Sep 2002 11:31
Posts: 1571
Location: New Delhi
why is Chin.karas censored here?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011 03:17 
Offline
BRFite

Joined: 07 Feb 2001 12:31
Posts: 1540
Location: Republic of India
Must be some racialistically sensitive policy, innit? :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 88  Next

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group