Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Bala Vignesh »

rohitvats wrote:^^^41 is with Southern command. Zimple onlee, no.
Oops... Got confused.with the new arty division we.were tracking here.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Also found a relatively higher version of the dive shot:
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Passing out Parade of newly inducted Paratroopers at their Regimental Centre in Bangalore. 2 Nov 2011.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jhujar wrote:Drone Eye Candy: The RQ-170 at Kandahar

( Pakipicker Panchi)
Sahib please. This is the Indian Military pictures thread.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Gaur wrote:Hit a goldmine of Ex Sudarshan Shakti pics. Khalsa, here is some high res sniper action for you.
Notice the weapon of the soldier in the above pic? Probably the spotter. But I expect some to commence soon
Gaur, I don't believe this guy is the spotter, I don't see any high powered binoculars/telescopes anywhere, nor do I see calculators or any other instruments. What surprised me is the weapon of this sniper. An insas rilfle without scope. I don't understand his role and the need of the camo. Can some guru's throw some light on this Sniper
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

I think the very fact that he is carrying an INSAS without scope and wearing a ghillie suit, proves that he is a spotter. His equipment (binoculars, calculators, etc) might be stashed away in pockets inside the suit. AFAIK spotters carry standard issue rifles for emergencies (in case they get ambushed after their mission or something)
member_19626
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_19626 »

Is it a Dragonov sniper carried by the sniper.
And gurus please don't laugh actually I remember to read a news paper report long back that an indigenous bullet proof jacket has been developed which is able to withstand shot from Dragonov from point blank range!!
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

love the pic of the sniper flying in the air!

Nice catch!

Spotter carrying a Camoed Insas
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Sniper flying in the air picture is amazing. At first glance I thought it was some type of bird and was wondering what this Bird is doing in "Misc Picturs" of the military thread?
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

if you see the dust around the foot of the sniper or spotter.. he has got a strange jump profile.. now I am no SF expert and my fitness is in shamble... so I am not trying to be judgmental.. I am just thinking whether this is a pose shot or not... either way it is cool
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

cool pic, but he should be jumping straight down and not up in the air...
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Lalmohan wrote:cool pic, but he should be jumping straight down and not up in the air...
at-last I found someone who understood it.. thanks Lalmohanji..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Lalmohan wrote:cool pic, but he should be jumping straight down and not up in the air...
Nope. If you are running forward and you fall straight down you will slide forward and hurt yourself quite painfully. Anyone who has had a fall playing football or hockey will know that.

He is not jumping. His waist is at the same height as it would be if he was running, and his head is at waist height. Hardly a jump, that. All he has done is kicked up his legs to make his body horizontal so he falls flat. The pic below even has a puff of dirt (on the ground) as his left leg has kicked up and is slightly higher than his waist. In fact he offers a "flat profile" faster than if he merely bends over and tries to fall. The way to go down is to change the vector and direct the energy into lifting your legs, reducing forward momentum and using the energy to change direction. It is perfect actually.

Last edited by shiv on 09 Dec 2011 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Prithwiraj wrote:if you see the dust around the foot of the sniper or spotter.. he has got a strange jump profile.. now I am no SF expert and my fitness is in shamble... so I am not trying to be judgmental.. I am just thinking whether this is a pose shot or not... either way it is cool
He is becoming horizontal from a sprint forward. Not from a standing position. The perils of reaching judgement from a 1/500 second still exposure of a complex movement.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

haven't you guys played/watched cricket ? that's how it looks when you dive from a running start. watch any batsman trying to make his ground. you land on the forearms which can cushion the impact and not on your knees.

Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

shiv wrote:He is not jumping. His waist is at the same height as it would be if he was running, and his head is at waist height. Hardly a jump, that. All he has done is kicked up his legs to make his body horizontal so he falls flat. The pic below even has a puff of dirt (on the ground) as his left leg has kicked up and is slightly higher than his waist. In fact he offers a "flat profile" faster than if he merely bends over and tries to fall. The way to go down is to change the vector and direct the energy into lifting your legs, reducing forward momentum and using the energy to change direction. It is perfect actually.
Agree with Shiv. It is not jump like dive but a jump to go flat on same position/spot. puff of dirt (on the ground) is the best evidence. If he would have dived like Rahul M said cricket like, than puff could not be that close. This action is more like some body ordered him to go flat on the ground (from straight position) or he is going flat to hide him self as soon he spot enemy. It is more like photo candy for photographer or that jump is created specially for photographer. And That doesn't mean army people won't do such thing in real like.

-Ankit
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Thanks RahulM. I was looking for a suitable pic but was unable to find such a good illustration. Was looking for soccer pics and didn't think of cricket :oops:
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

BRF rocks... what an analysis.. thanks all..
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Dr. Shiv's analysis rocks, I was intrigued no end after seeing the pic, why this strage posture / angle. Thansk shiv for the succint explanation. It is more like a flat dive made by a golie to save a ball, arms stretched, body straight without taking the eye of the ball.

Great dive, phenomenal photography!!!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wish there was a hi-res pic of this

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

shiv wrote:Thanks RahulM. I was looking for a suitable pic but was unable to find such a good illustration. Was looking for soccer pics and didn't think of cricket :oops:
having a bat in hand is similar to having a gun in hand, both need to be protected from the fall. I guess sehwag's desperate dive yesterday was playing in my mind. :mrgreen:
Shrinivasan wrote:Dr. Shiv's analysis rocks, I was intrigued no end after seeing the pic, why this strage posture / angle. Thansk shiv for the succint explanation. It is more like a flat dive made by a golie to save a ball, arms stretched, body straight without taking the eye of the ball.

Great dive, phenomenal photography!!!
a goalie diving is from a standing start, object is to reach the ball with his hands -- completely different profile.
like shiv ji said or that pic showed, it's closer to that of a diving batsman.
Ankit Desai wrote: Agree with Shiv. It is not jump like dive but a jump to go flat on same position/spot. puff of dirt (on the ground) is the best evidence. If he would have dived like Rahul M said cricket like, than puff could not be that close. This action is more like some body ordered him to go flat on the ground (from straight position) or he is going flat to hide him self as soon he spot enemy. It is more like photo candy for photographer or that jump is created specially for photographer. And That doesn't mean army people won't do such thing in real like.

-Ankit
read again, it's not a jump to go flat at same spot. neither shiv ji nor me is saying that. the puff of dust is easily explained, a batsman wants to cover as much distance as possible, the soldier has no such objective.
trying to go horizontal from a stationary start won't see your legs leave the ground by that much. find a soft spot and try it yourself.
joygoswami
BRFite

Post by joygoswami »

Nice pics of Gorky, if not posted before.

http://www.jeffhead.com/worldwideaircra ... vikram.htm
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

find a soft spot and try it yourself.
no make it more fun. find a hard and rocky spot to try it
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Looks like Shiv Aroor reads BR and sees the humour in media, Chinese style

Arjun Tank in Thar Desert :mrgreen:

krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

all i can see is sand/smoke
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

krishnan wrote:all i can see is sand/smoke
With the ideal weapon system, a puff of smoke is all that the enemy and world get to see :)
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

That's because you don't have eyes of Arjun. :)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

army exercise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCH6IWnAyU
at 0:40 you can see the sniper, possibly the same one, go flat from a running start. :wink:
hopefully pakis would say the same during war. :mrgreen:
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

^^ Is he firing while diving or its just the sound effect at that moment ?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

SagarAg wrote:^^ Is he firing while diving or its just the sound effect at that moment ?
sound effect or someone else firing
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

Are those BM-21 Grad rocket launchers that I see in this video ?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

he does make a running dive, but his momentum takes his legs above the torso line quite early... that brings attention to the legs (not that i can do any better)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Lalmohan wrote:he does make a running dive, but his momentum takes his legs above the torso line quite early... that brings attention to the legs (not that i can do any better)
It's a goalie jump - a jump that is aimed at landing in a particular way at a particular spot. I was wondering why so many men in camo appeared to be advancing rather than the standard image of hunched men running into battle. It became clearer to me from the video where it is explained that new doctrines are being tested to see if they might work.

Reading about infantry combat in general it appears to me that there comes a time when, ultimately, men have to get up and move forward in the face of fire. That is what defines movement and ultimate victory in battle. World war 1 was marked by absence of that and the battles on Dunkirk were where it was actually done. The human wave tactics used by the Chinese in Korea were just that - men running forward under fire. But it seems to me that this men in camo going forward is a modern interpretation of that - and in an ideal battle they will presumably be backed and supported by heavier firepower to suppress fire from those whom they are tasked to overrun.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

shiv wrote:It's a goalie jump
That nailed it.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

shivji, in normal infantry advances, the idea is to move from cover to cover and take position to provide fire so that the team can advance as one group without everyone running into fire simultaneously. each man covering another and then moving in turn as his comerades provide cover. the soldier here is doing much the same - nothing particularly new about this as a tactic per se
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Lalmohan wrote: nothing particularly new about this as a tactic per se
Not new for you maybe. For me it is new to see a man dressed like bushes using the sparse terrain cover offered by flat terrain. There is very little terrain cover there for the "normal cover and move forward" that you describe. I have never ever seen images like these before in my life.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

please watch sniper on discovery channel :)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Lalmohan wrote:please watch sniper on discovery channel :)
Lalmullah. None of those men are snipers. These are ordinary infantrymen carrying INSAS with no scopes and not sniper rifles. but wearing Ghillie suits and moving forward individually rather than in pairs and not sitting hidden and are spread apart. Could you point me to any video, "Sniper" or not that shows that? Even stills will do.

Is it possible that brainless SDREs are doing and showing something new? Certainly new to me and nothing that I saw in "Sniper" was comparable.