Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

sum wrote: Amen to that..... really not for the weak-hearted, esp the last few minutes ( if India in a lead)
Ask it and ye shall receive. Give me a bucket where I can dump my head and die in my own stench.
http://www.fih.ch/en/news-3432-india-ad ... inal-round
India adds spice to CC1 quarter-final round
Raghunath's last minute goal secures spot in semi-finals
Few games will be played closer to the nerve endings and with an array of breathtaking skills on show the scoreline was always in doubt until the final whistle.
This will be a flood...
Now six more players - Birender Lakra, Manjeet Kullu, Rupinder Pal Singh, Danish Mujtaba, K Chinglensana Singh and Manprit Singh - have written to HI secretary Narinder Batra, conveying that they have parted ways with WSH.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 944321.cms
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Boxing Asian silver medalist beaten up by unknown people in his room at NIS

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20111202/main6.htm
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Ask it and ye shall receive. Give me a bucket where I can dump my head and die in my own stench.
http://www.fih.ch/en/news-3432-india-ad ... inal-round
India adds spice to CC1 quarter-final round
Raghunath's last minute goal secures spot in semi-finals
Saw the last half of the match and have to see was another typical potboiler but Desh somehow turned the tables and sneaked a last minute goal ( usually this happens to us!!)
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

In the Extra Time, reminiscent of India’s loss to Malaysia in Guangzhou Asian Games 2010, India came close to losing the match by a Golden Goal, at least thrice. A one-on-one save by Sreejesh, a clear by Sardara against Malaysian Rizwan and a foiled penalty corner with 3m to spare, was the saving grace for India. All through the game, Sardara Singh remained the pivot for almost all the moves initiated by the India. He did most of the work in the crucial midfield and defense. At times, he also gave a full-hearted support to the forwards as well.
We face SA in SA in the semis. And regardless of the round-robin result, this is a new game. Like in crikkit, I expect the Injuns to make a match out of nothing. Duh... India by a goal in 3. Then they will claim how hard it is to beat a host team. Duhhhh.

Rupinder's injury concern for India ahead of semis against SA
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 959298.cms
SASCOC has put a condition that the team must make the final of this Champions Challenge, or otherwise surrender the direct Olympic Games entry and play in the Olympic Qualifiers.
Wonderful, now if the same shit can be used to combine the Oceania qualifiers with the American qualifiers, and return that spare spot to Asia, some spunk there. Dreamzzzz...

SAI gives National Stadium to WSH, shifts National camp
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 960625.cms
SAI was asked by HI to not hand over the stadium saying it is obligated to MSYA acceding to FIH orders on who the real boss was. Seems like, a middle finger has been showed. Former coach, Harenda Singh, claims this:
As head coach of the Indian hockey team, I was asked to release a schedule to all the players on 21st March, 2011 detailing the dates of the national camp. The preparatory camp was logically scheduled for 24th January 2012, just before the Olympic Qualifiers (scheduled from 15th February).
So the HI maakis pre-poned the national camp to ensure that it clashes with WSH once Nimbus came with the dates, and then are acting holier than thou. What a buncha dipwadding nimrods.

Elsewhere, Yasin Merchant calls it a day
http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_ya ... ay_1620093
Yasin Merchant was to snooker what Geet Sethi was to billiards once Geet gave up fighting for snooker spoils. Bravo, sirjee.

Anand
In response to a Twitter question: Grandmasters decline with age. That's a given. There is nothing special about the age of 40, but age eventually takes its toll. That much is clear. Beyond that it's about how long you can put off the effects and compensate for them. Mistakes will crop in but you try to compensate for them with experience and hard work.
Right now I'm reading the best games of my next World Championship opponent, Boris Gelfand. He will be a very difficult opponent because he's so experienced.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/de ... -interview
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

4-2 against SA with 3 from PC ! meet belgium in finals.
we were trailing 1-2 at halftime with some piss poor defending and aimless play. but 2nd half more than made up for it, defence was calm and skilful, attacks were coordinated and at some points we toyed with them. why was chhetri the goalie today ? he did a good job but isn't sreejesh our first choice ?

good thing is the conversion of penalty corners, both sandeep and raghunath (first time I am seeing him take PC) were excellent. just 5-6 years back we were awful at it.

even more heartening to see was the fitness level, other than sardara who is a touch slow, the team outran the saffers completely. by the middle of the 2nd half the saffers were clearly out of breath while we pushed on.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India in final to face Belgium.

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/sup ... 111203.htm

Is this olympic qualifier?

The best drag flicker that India got was Jugraj Singh when he played for few matches he was unbeatable with over 90% conversion rate.
He got injured in an accident at Patiala trying to save a rickshaw hit the divider that finished his career and gave chances to Sandeep Singh and V R Raghunath.
I think now Jugraj singh an assistant hockey coach.

Sandeep Singh is a good drag flicker but a bad defendant, the key is to find somebody like an excellent defendant like Pargat Singh and teach him the art of Drag Flicking. I am not sure about Raghunath's defense skills.
Asit P
BRFite

Post by Asit P »

No It's not an Olympic qualifier. Just that entry into the finals of this tournament would have saved SA the trouble of going through the qualifiers (As they are Africa champions).

And yes you are spot on with Jugraj Singh. He was a sad loss for the country indeed. Another such case which I can recall is of Rajiv Mishra. We lost him just when he had started creating waves :( .
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Bharat Chhetri is the no. 1 choice, he gives way 2 sreejesh as and when the situ demands. Like happened in Oz.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

we were trailing 1-2 at halftime with some piss poor defending and aimless play. but 2nd half more than made up for it, defence was calm and skilful, attacks were coordinated and at some points we toyed with them. why was chhetri the goalie today ? he did a good job but isn't sreejesh our first choice ?
I still feel that we would be badly exposed against teams like Oz, Spain etc even with the 2nd half kind of play against SA.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India 1 Belgium 0 at Half Time. Raghunath scored that goal off Drag Flick.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India 2 Belgium 0. Sandeep scored his 7th goal of the tournament via Drag Flick.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Belgium scored a field goal (pathetic defense) India 2 Belgium 1
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

great, yet another defence meltdown.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

It is Belgium 4 - India 3.
What a shame! Even in a second string tournament...
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India lost 4-3, giving away a field goal from the left side (RAghunath as s defender) with 56 seconds remaining.

Very well impressed by Birendra Singh on the right hand (defense)., left side is a very weak. Sarvanjit Singh and Sardara singh are a very good forwards.

Indians still like to dribble a lot., new players like Yuvraj Walmiki are more like Europeans (long passes)
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Not too bad!! Indian team is on the rebound if qualified for Olympics they will do good. I blame it on FIH vs IH drama.

Defense is the key!! our defense is bad!!! but we successfully faced 4 penalty corners without conceding goals but defense is a tad bit slow when facing field goals.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

leading from 3-1 to go down 4-3 is not acceptable. at certain points the defence just froze like statues.
the other problem was the sheer number of mis-passes and losing possession. the 3rd goal for belgium happened from one such dispossession.

bajwa saar, no problem with dribbling, our 3rd goal came from a neat bit of stick work.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Defense (full Backs and middle fielders) need to be agile, fast, strong and with good eye sight (to avoid penalty corners)., I think the last 15 minutes of the game was the key where our left side defense lost it.
Asit P
BRFite

Post by Asit P »

Last minute heart break once again :( . Having outplayed the opposition in the 1st half, there was a scope of adding few more goals to the half time score of 1-0.

Enjoyed India's 3rd goal the most. Excellent stick work there.

A more robust defense and we shall be all set for Londonistan.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Rahul M wrote:leading from 3-1 to go down 4-3 is not acceptable. at certain points the defence just froze like statues.
the other problem was the sheer number of mis-passes and losing possession. the 3rd goal for belgium happened from one such dispossession.

bajwa saar, no problem with dribbling, our 3rd goal came from a neat bit of stick work.
Thinking of giving up watching Indian hockey matches for the heartbreak they cause....H(ow)TF can one loose 4-3 after leading 3-1 with less than 10 minutes to go and that too against Belgium?

By this logic, against Tier-1 teams, unless we are leading 10-1 with 10 minutes to go, the other teams could still overtake us and win!!!
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Its the SDRE complacency which is the cause, it is there everywhere in India, whether its foreign relations, cricket, Goverence etc. The lack of a killer instinct to kill an opponent who is down.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

I am done with watching and supporting hockey.The buggers can't give us a single win in a decent tournament.
Bye bye HI or IHF or whatever it is these days.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

They need to gel together and play in as many tournament as possible. Belgium is not a bad team they are right next to Dutch and have access to hundreds of hockey clubs.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Ranji Trophy round up.

I am impressed with Saurashtra team!!!

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/report/ra ... 111206.htm
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Didn't change camp schedule : HI
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/hockey/article2692368.ece
http://stick2hockey.com/ViewArticle.asp ... leOID=9131

HC reserves judgement on PIL against Hockey India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 021171.cms
Referring to the Supreme Court order in the matter related to the row between HI and IHF, Bhushan said "the apex court recognized you (HI) only to the extent of choosing players for the national team but it is not entitled to disqualifying players solely on the ground of participating in WSH."

Advocate Sandeep Sethi, appearing for HI, opposed the PIL and justified the long training camp for the players on the ground that the hockey team has not been successful in previous Olympic games and it was necessary to win a medal in such events.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ Was watching the Champions trophy matches, esp the ones with Aus and Spain ( and also highlights of a couple of matches where Pakis got their mush handed to them by Ger and Holland).

Have to say that India would be well advised to avoid playing either Oz, Spain, Ned for atleast few more years since i fear massive ( atleast 10-0) drubbings if our paths ever cross going by the shaky defence we had on display against even B-level teams!!!

Those teams running rings around the current Indian squad would be a understatement.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Have to say that India would be well advised to avoid playing either Oz, Spain, Ned for atleast few more years since i fear massive ( atleast 10-0) drubbings if our paths ever cross going by the shaky defence we had on display against even B-level teams!!!

Those teams running rings around the current Indian squad would be a understatement.
NO!! actually playing with the better opponent gives you better experience and makes you tougher!! I would rather want India to only play the big league teams (Germany, Dutch, Australia, Pakistan, Korea and Spain).
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Hockey is our Game and we can easily be the world champions in it!! the problem is not the Hockey Talent!! the problem is the A**HOLES in our government and hockey managers!!! Indian hockey team was brilliant in this tournament only reason we lost was because of inexperience. In last Asian games due to differences between HI and IHF the INDIAN NATIONAL hockey team wasn't even given proper shoes to play.

KPS gill and his ilks need to be put behind bars just like Kalmadi!! these guys have destroyed Hockey in India.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

SBajwa wrote: the problem is the A**HOLES in our government and hockey managers!!!
Repeating like a gramaphone record of old***, the problem with the setup as of now* is not the Government or MSYA, but the fight between 2 sets of "adminstrators".

The K. Jyothikumaran caught in a sting episode which was aired by Aaj Tak gave one set the oopar hand to put the other set headed by KPS Gill aside. This former set headed by Narinder Batra got the green lights from FIH and IOA (MSYA could only do a last minute rubber stamp given the h&d involved) and in turn bartered a better deal wherein FIH took a far grander share of the WC profits to the world body for the betterment of the world game. Take that, the Indian taxpayer underwrote the organization of the WC, went and attended the event, and the profits accrued in selling of telecast rights which was pumped up by essentially Indian TRPs was taken elsewhere to better the world game while the Indian players were left holding the can and had to organize a flash strike to get some rewards. And the rewards they were fighting was 2 lakh INR, take that too. JyothiK is most definitely a corrupt oiseaule who needs to be put in a cannon and shot away to the moon (if possible, send off people like Vidya Stokes, Suresh Kalmadi, VK Malhotra, Narinder Batra, etc. too), but what makes me grumpy is that the sting op has not received any attention since then. From 2008 to now, JyothiK has been in the news a grand total of twice when he filed a lawsuit in the Madras HC and when his presence made some administrators to walk off without doing regular bizness. That means that, putting on my suspicion hat, the sting in itself could well have been a cooked up one. Dont blame me for reminding myself of the arty saga.

In all this drama, the only one** who comes with any sense of respect from me is Ajay Maken for taking the fight to BCCI (who I wont blame) in his show of neutrality and precedence and Shivraj Singh Chauhan for being one of the few politicians who cares about the game. If JJ comes to host a mega-event in MRS, she goes right there to the top of the pedestal too despite her (and all her fosterxyz's) collective corrupt gasbagginess. She tried her best with the WC for Vishy, but it would be better if she did something along the SAF games dhamaka with a 7-1 scoreline against the pakis I witnessed in the mid-90s. How about a multi-nation TN Gold Cup with 100 crore for the Indian team if it comes to the finals?
In last Asian games due to differences between HI and IHF the INDIAN NATIONAL hockey team wasn't even given proper shoes to play.
Not AG, but the lack of shoe episode was at Azlan, conducted at Ipoh, MY.

Sum, you are overestimating the brilliance of ass-tralian and EJ (aka spanish) hickey. Let me be the first and perhaps the most vocal to show a middle finger to ass-tralian hickey, crikkit and even the ass-tralian identity of which a big bs story has been peddled. The whole idea of Australia is a complete accident and I can quote at least 2-3 counterfactual history books to show what might have happened if not for some complicated wranglings in the late 19th and early 20th century. The whole game is still ripe nuff to be picked off into tangential directions and its easy to see the pulls and pushes that make ass-tralia if one puts an eagle-eyed hi-def lens at it, but I digress from my main point. I have seen the AIS' methodology close nuff and all that can still be nulled out by the army tactics of the Koreans. Biomechanics and how the Indian "gene" is disadvantageous etc. charades dont fly with me, esp when the assie crikkitirs get a regular hiding from the sdres these days. The day is not too far off when we will see a 6-zip in the reverse to venge for the CWG Finals.

For the EJs from spain, all I have is a chaddi roast and a giant ack-thoo. For all the bad things I have seen from these EJ idiots in India, I want Andalus to fall to the Islamist nutjobs again. I have no mercy and if such a reality comes true, I wont be pissing in my pants but just rotfling. If Catalonia and the Flemish region of Bel go their own way, that would be a perfect start. Catholique du Lovain is one of the biggest sponsors of EJ projects in India under the ChristianAid rubric, a different day for this tamasha to be unraveled.

* I wont give a free pass to MSYA under the MS Gill administration, but Ajay Maken is surely a far better and respectable person. Seriously, MSG might have had too much MSG in his diet for all the bs he peddled as MSYA. MS Gill deserves all the pissing I did on him for not knowing Gopichand or pushing Guru Satpal from the dais. And he was just a bit better than the communist dimwit MSA (who cost our exchequer 100s of crores of Rs in losses) he replaced.

** The rest are all douchebags and as much as I hate hitting at the people who are democratically elected, I cant hate myself at the collective calumny I would like to heap.

*** One day, I am going to demand from this dhaaga some cash for remembering so much of the forgettable shit that has happened to Indian sports when most people could nt care less and forget away to focus on the positives. Just kidding on the money part....
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

I feel your anguish.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

TN Govt. chips in for Chennai Open
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/tennis/article2709176.ece
The starkness of the sports scene between Mu Ka regime and JJ regime is so obvious....

Elsewhere, WSH postponed till end of OGQ. So there ends all that tamasha on whether the full team will take part in OGQ. Yay..... With Nimbus getting shafted by BCCI on the other side, thats a double whammy I dont want my enemy to take. Yannick Colaco, too bad you will go down in history for all the wrong reasons despite all the right reasons. Too bad, man...

'Indian team needs to work on defence'
http://www.thehindu.com/sport/hockey/article2709812.ece
We've hit 17 and 29 goals in the last two tournaments — more than any recent Indian side that I can remember. We just haven't had the time to sit on the pitch and practise drill after drill to fix up the defence. It's not a difficult problem to fix. It's just a time issue.
And the loooong camp for OGQ begins... Dont gimme a santiago heartbreak.
“Winning the SAFF Cup is fine but I think the All India Football Federation (AIFF) should field the under-23 side from the next edition onwards.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1111212/j ... 870176.jsp
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1111212/j ... 870146.jsp
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Just did a calc on the FIFA rankings of the team. Wont climb to past 159 from 162 with this SAFF win. Best is 156 if some 3 teams shed points simul. Points go from 119 to 131 when the Dec 21 update will be there. Gone are those 130 days which in itself was sick and deplorable for a continent sized country..... Seems like it is far better to draw a far higher ranked team like Burma or No Korea than win over meaningless idiots such as those belonging to Sooth Asia. Send the u-23 team or even u-19 instead. Pointless games in terms of FIFA rankings....

And the schedule looks empty, so I wonder what type of work AIFF is doing here? Want friendlies, want with higher ranked teams, more preferably away than at home so we can gain better points. Gamers know how to fix their FIH points and FIDE ratings, why cant the same be used for FIFA points? Cmooon.... Do they need a degree in game-ology for this simple logic?
-------------
The big picture on the FIH side is that the slide has been stemmed. Here are the year-end rankings of the Indian team:
2003 - 6, 2004 - 5, 2005 - 6, 2006 - 7, 2007 - 9, 2008 - 11, 2009 - 12, 2010 - 9, 2011 - 10 close to overtaking over to 9th ranked Argentina. Its gonna be a slow rise. We could easily come to within the top-8 if we win the OGQ, and do well at OG (8th and better) as the points get better with OG.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

we did send the U23 to the 2009 version held in BD and won, why they fielded the full team at home I have no idea.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

SAFF is just such a grand nonsensical h&d event, you gain nothing if you win, you lose it all if you lose. May be the new coach was defensive? That said, what happened to Colaco, why is there Madeira in charge now? Was Colaco a one-event quickfix by AIFF in the post-Houghton fluidity?
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

In FIH circles, England and now NZ present how to game the rankings first and then climb to decency. The story is remarkable to be engineered to our benefit. Pak-e-satan's presence in the "top-6" lineup (visa nonsense, what else?! even if we gave them a WCH visa, but that wont matter anyday) and our own IHF-HI mess ensured that we got dumped, and we must have lost around our chance to go to no. 8 with a decent show (top-6) show. Given that NZ came in 4th and lost a close bronze given the host adv (they did that in 92 WC too), we could have surely been in the top-6 given that we can beat pak and SK if we wake up on the half decent side of the bed. And we could definitely roll in on at least one of the other 5.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Saina Nehwal in finals to face World Number 1.
Asit P
BRFite

Post by Asit P »

She lost the finals :( . Lets hope that she peaks at the right time for the Olympics.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Why is it that in India when one person finds their footing, the entrenched have to give way? Joshna Chinnappa is gone and Dipika Pallikal is inching to the top 10 slowly but steadily.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

London 2012: India Olympics body in 'Drop Dow' bid
India's Olympic Association has urged the Olympics' global governing body to end Dow Chemical's Games sponsorship.

The chemical manufacturer's involvement had stoked ire because of its links with the firm behind the 1984 Bhopal gas disaster in India.

IOA acting president VK Malhotra said the US multinational had launched a "false campaign" claiming victims had been paid final compensation.

Dow says the £288m ($470m) settlement for those affected is fair and final.

The company insists that while the past must never be forgotten, its "position as a Worldwide Olympic Partner" - a decade-long deal reached with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2010 - represents its "vision for the future".
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

OG Qualifier grouping:
Mens: New Delhi (IND) - 15 / 26 Feb. 2012
India, Canada, France, Poland, Egypt, US

Egypt withdraws from Qualifier. So some other horse will replace it.
http://www.fih.ch/en/news-3473-changes- ... on-program
In addition to the above amendment, three National Olympic Committees declined their invitations to take part in the Olympic Qualification Tournament. The Cuban (women) and Trinidad & Tobago (women) and the Egyptian (men) have all informed the FIH that they will not be taking part in the Olympic Qualification process.
The teams that have been invited to replace the above countries are: Poland (for Cuba), Austria (for Tirnidad and Tobago) and Italy (for Egypt); all three teams have accepted their inclusion in the Qualifying Tournaments .