Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Bala Vignesh »

abhinavjo wrote: Ahh back when the Deepak's flew :(
I remember the days when i used to stay just off the approach for Runway 12 at tambaram. My morning wake up alarm during study holidays would be the first flight making an approach to land on the runway or taking off from it, which more often than not were the deepak's..
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Indian Navy Sea King Helicopter aboard US Naval Warship [Photograph]

Image Image

Lt. Gen A.K Singh flew in/piloted a Hind during Sudarshan Shakti

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CHcy3BXK3gc/T ... AN+SH_.JPG

http://coresectorcommunique.blogspot.co ... inate.html

This MiG-29UPG is carrying a Kh-35U painted in red. Also has the symbol normally seen in crash test dummies. What are the significance of the two? Does it indicate the missile has a dummy warhead?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-m6n1YhLuG0E/TvbHV ... 25255D.jpg

IIRC the video showing the Tejas launching a R-73 also had the symbol painted
Last edited by Hiten on 31 Dec 2011 00:21, edited 3 times in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Gurneesh wrote:
Hiten wrote:the new Mi-17V-5 acquired by the IAF

http://www.aviationnews.eu/blog/wp-cont ... _India.jpg
Isn't the V5 supposed to have metal chin ?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-- ... 1577050/L/
The first pic doesn't appear to be a V5. Doesn't have the rear loading ramp either which some of the IAFs newer Mi-17s (not the V5s) do as well. The V5 in the pic posted by Gurneesh seems to have it as well.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

^^^^
Yes, it ain't the V-5 variant. Pic appeared with this article
http://www.aviationnews.eu/2011/11/08/f ... its-order/
My bad
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

m mittal wrote:How old are u shiv....let me guess 2 years?

Anyways ur mouthful doesn't mean a squat to me...

I DID NOT insult Indian Army, I was just talking about one act of public depiction of our armed forces. Is that what u think Indian Armed Forces is all about? Yes printing US and even Pakistan fighters on the pamphlets is also our Indian Armed Forces but that is just an act of public depiction and I am sure even a 2 year old would know that talking about it means we are not insulting the armed forced in toto but an act of public depiction, which historically our military has not done been very good at.

You have obviously done the oxford dictionary search of the word sleazy, now please also increase ur knowledge to see other uses of this word in slang. I would recommend http://www.urbandictionary.com
Guys, this is getting out of hand. 'Printing Pakistan fighters on phamplets' by the Indian Armed Forces?? If you are Indian (which I doubt) and dont know much about the Indian defence scene and have some genuine concerns I would be happy to allay them point by point. Re the phamplet you are talking about, was it the picture of a PAF senior AM in a newspaper ad on some imp ocassion? That was a mistake (and I would have sacked the person who did that if I was RM) by a civvie functionary in the relavent ministry. It shows lack of application, laziness, dumbness, even deriliction of duty. How on earth that translates into the army being 'sleazy' because of a normal, common operational demonstration is beyond me.

I am with Shiv on this one. Not only is this factually incorrect, it is completely unacceptable. If you do want to know more about the armed forces I would be happy to arrange meetings with serving and retired officers, widows of men and officers KIA, and severely handicapped young men who at 25 will spend their entire lives in a wheel chair. They have immensely more dignity playing wheel chair basketball than some of us. Spend some time with them and with a man who has given up his entire life serving them and then talk.

If you really did not mean it and then do some instrospection and be big enough to say I'm sorry!
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

Hiten wrote:
This MiG-29UPG is carrying a Kh-35U painted in red. Also has the symbol normally seen in crash test dummies. What are the significance of the two? Does it indicate the missile has a dummy warhead?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-m6n1YhLuG0E/TvbHV ... 25255D.jpg

IIRC the video showing the Tejas launching a R-73 also had the symbol painted
Those symbols are used as references for missile tracking/video analysis. They are called Passive Motion Sensor markers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_cap ... ve_markers
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

SagarAg wrote:Image

Loved it 8)
Me too!!
member_21997
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_21997 »

m mittal wrote:How old are u shiv....let me guess 2 years?

Anyways ur mouthful doesn't mean a squat to me...

I DID NOT insult Indian Army, I was just talking about one act of public depiction of our armed forces. Is that what u think Indian Armed Forces is all about? Yes printing US and even Pakistan fighters on the pamphlets is also our Indian Armed Forces but that is just an act of public depiction and I am sure even a 2 year old would know that talking about it means we are not insulting the armed forced in toto but an act of public depiction, which historically our military has not done been very good at.

You have obviously done the oxford dictionary search of the word sleazy, now please also increase ur knowledge to see other uses of this word in slang. I would recommend http://www.urbandictionary.com

Muttal bhai whatever u may say. I like the display and would like more entertaing shows from armed forces. These shows attract a lot of raw talent from not so well off communities in India and inspires them to join armed forces. And considering the diconnect that Indians have with forces I think it is another way to bring them closer to the concept.. I am sure you woudl not ask faujis to shoot a talib pig during a parade.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

:mrgreen:
siddharth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by siddharth »

How bout 5th gen cars for the IAF :wink:
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

Always wondered above what rank does this transition from Jeep/Gypsy to Amby happen in the services.
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

>>Always wondered above what rank does this transition from Jeep/Gypsy to Amby happen in the services.

Army - Brigadier
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

So in the Navy it would be the Commodore and in Air Force it would be Air Commodore..
In short you need to a General officer to get an Amby..
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

brigadier is not a general rank in IA, although it is so in other armies. I guess the equivalent ranks in other services aren't considered flag ranks either.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Well, A carrying a brigadier generally has a single star above its number plates, while a Maj Gen's has 2 stars so i assumed that Brigadier was also a General rank. My bad.
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

Rahul M : In the Indian armed forces, the rank of Brigadier (Army) and its equivalents Air Commodore (Air Force) and Commodore (Navy) have always been Flag Ranks. The sdame is the case in most other armed forces (French, American, British etc.)

In effect, this means that Brigadiers, Air Commodores and Commodores are 1 star generals.

:)
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

Anand Shankar and Bala Vignesh :

In the case of the IAF, at least, AVMs and above are often supplied with Tata Indigos or Mahindra Scorpios.

The Indigo comes in the traditional IAF blue (as in the case of the Amby shown above) while the Scorpio
is black, with the usual IAF roundels to indicate its service affiliation.

Just for the record, the Marshal of the Air Force and the Air Chief both use Ambys.

Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

I have seen Tata Indigos with single star plates in both IA and IAF livery in Bangalore, but most of the single star plates are borne by Amby's.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Phor-Ishtaar IAF1 The car of the Browne Sahib(s)

Among my spotter friends, two are Avid Auto Aficionados, their recommendations:
4x4s in the Indian Army
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Jaybhatt wrote:Rahul M : In the Indian armed forces, the rank of Brigadier (Army) and its equivalents Air Commodore (Air Force) and Commodore (Navy) have always been Flag Ranks. The sdame is the case in most other armed forces (French, American, British etc.)

In effect, this means that Brigadiers, Air Commodores and Commodores are 1 star generals.

brigadier rayc thought otherwise. :wink:

you will notice that in Indian military expressions like GOC/FOC/AOC occur only for ranks of MajGen equivalent or higher. for example, the COMCOS is not referred to as FOC.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

In Sea King Pic from IMS ViKrant.
More
here

Tomorrow I will show you the INS Viraat aircraft lift pic.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Nice New Year gift for both Me & Shiv, having photos accepted on Anet now is a Royal Pain.

NauSena SA-316B Chetak - Rutland Island, Andaman and Nicobar Islands

unrelated though but i too managed to get one on there AF 74F in Positive-Climb
Sree
BRFite

Re: "Flag" / "General" / "Air" Officer designation at one-st

Post by Sree »

Rahul M wrote:
Jaybhatt wrote:Rahul M : In the Indian armed forces, the rank of Brigadier (Army) and its equivalents Air Commodore (Air Force) and Commodore (Navy) have always been Flag Ranks. The sdame is the case in most other armed forces (French, American, British etc.)

brigadier rayc thought otherwise. :wink:

you will notice that in Indian military expressions like GOC/FOC/AOC occur only for ranks of MajGen equivalent or higher. for example, the COMCOS is not referred to as FOC.

Rahul M ji:

I hesitate very much to contradict you (or Brigadier RayC :) ... ), but I would not agree with that. Station commanders in the Air Force, at the stations where command was upgraded to Air Commodore rank, are now referred to as AOsC. I am sure there are some Army and Air Force equivalents.

Rgds,

Sree
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Indian army soldiers from 5 Assam Battalion hold the Indian national flag after capturing enemy bunkers during the Indian Army Exercise Sudarshan Shakti in Barmer distrcit in Rajasthan on December 5, 2011. Exercise Sudarshan Shakti displayed the maneuver by mechanised forces and all other components on air and land battle concept.

--------------------
Indian paramilitary force (CRPF) soldiers conduct a search operation close to the spot where Maoist leader Kishenji was shot during an encounter with security personnel in a jungle area at Burisole some 200kms south-west of Kolkata on November 25, 2011. Police are searching for three Maoist rebels who escaped a fierce gunbattle in eastern India during which one of the guerillas' top leaders was killed. Maoist commander Koteswar Rao, better known as Kishenji, was shot dead after being chased down by security forces in Burisole forest of West Bengal state late November 24.

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

INS Viraat Aircraft lift system

After this popular display of riding the lift, we also given a ride :D Its fun and an experience unlike your building lift :lol:
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

Rahul M and Sree : 2 January 2011

A very happy and fruitful new year to both of you and other BR colleagues.

Sree is spot on. All AF units / stations commanded by Air Commodores refer to the commander as AOC. The same is the
case with Army and Navy stations. I am afraid brother Rahul M is just not correct on this minor issue.
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

Hi
I have uploaded some pics from the Navy Day in Mumbai. You can check them on below link:

http://khambat-dagha.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Khambat Dagha
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Last edited by VishalJ on 03 Jan 2012 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sree and jaybhatt, there is no way to resolve this without getting a superjingo to weigh in on the issue. :D

>> The sdame is the case in most other armed forces (French, American, British etc.)
not in british forces, there it is not a general rank and this is true for most if not all commonwealth forces. in both france and US, the equivalent rank is brigadier general, not brigadier.
see for example, australia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... k_insignia

unless things have changed recently in Indian armed forces brigadier is not a general rank. (all this is pedantic anyway, more a case of tradition than anything else)
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

^ IHMO, Unimpressive! No 720p HD or 1080p Full-HD Video, no proper defence PR Channel, i can go on......

Worlds best/greatest IT Superpoer but its VayuSena's Website is a disgrace http://indianairforce.nic.in/

Please dont flame me for my criticism, i Love my country Dearly but ^ :(
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:^ IHMO, Unimpressive! No 720p HD or 1080p Full-HD Video,
<snip>

Saar full HD is Amrica standard for Amrica internet lines. With respect we are atlernately critical and jealous of Pakis for putting Amrica standards for a small elite in a country with a zillion mango Abduls. In India we cater more for the mangos. Even I don't have the bandwidth needed for video of that quality. Or the monitor size to show it to advantage. But I pay the Rupee equivalent of US$ 20 per month for unlimited internet access, unlimited bandwidth but speeds that vary from 256 kbps to 1 Gbps depending on time of day and free voice calls on the same line whose limit I am unable to cross. Don't know how that compares.

In India there are possibly 200 million TV sets. hardly 1 million are likely to be "full HD" standard. So whom would the HD be served to when we are looking for recruitment from mango?
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

shiv wrote:
Vishal Jolapara wrote:^ IHMO, Unimpressive! No 720p HD or 1080p Full-HD Video,
<snip>

Saar full HD is Amrica standard for Amrica internet lines. With respect we are atlernately critical and jealous of Pakis for putting Amrica standards for a small elite in a country with a zillion mango Abduls. In India we cater more for the mangos. Even I don't have the bandwidth needed for video of that quality. Or the monitor size to show it to advantage. But I pay the Rupee equivalent of US$ 20 per month for unlimited internet access, unlimited bandwidth but speeds that vary from 256 kbps to 1 Gbps depending on time of day and free voice calls on the same line whose limit I am unable to cross. Don't know how that compares.

In India there are possibly 200 million TV sets. hardly 1 million are likely to be "full HD" standard. So whom would the HD be served to when we are looking for recruitment from mango?
There is no harm in having full HD production now.. folks can always down-rate the resolution based on connection speed...
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Shiv Aroor had posted this picture along with an article on the air chief's visit. This looks like the kind of "shed" that we've been talking about for the aircraft. Pune already has these?
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Prithwiraj wrote:
There is no harm in having full HD production now.. folks can always down-rate the resolution based on connection speed...
There is a dharmic purity to poverty and getting the "lightest", "smallest", "cheapest" etc. Only Amricans and other wasteful people aspire to the highest common denominator in everything.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

there is no such thing called the highest common denominator. (mathematically, that would be infinity every time)

but that doesn't mean MOD shouldn't release films in HD.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Victor wrote:
Prithwiraj wrote:
There is a dharmic purity to poverty and getting the "lightest", "smallest", "cheapest" etc. Only Amricans and other wasteful people aspire to the highest common denominator in everything.
I think what is being missed in this OT discussion is that a change to HD is a change across the industry (in India) ranging from broadcasters to the consumers to a digital standard as well as HD standard. Two changes. India has not yet made the analog to digital jump which is due only by 2015. Benefits to consumers from HD come from bigger screens and consumers will only shift to bigger screens as prices fall because they are way too expensive in India currently and HD. This whole tamasha of 2G and 3G and spectrum allocation, Raja, Kani etc are linked to the freeing up of bandwidth that comes from an analog to digital transition.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

shiv wrote:
I think what is being missed in this OT discussion is that a change to HD is a change across the industry (in India) ranging from broadcasters to the consumers to a digital standard as well as HD standard. Two changes. India has not yet made the analog to digital jump which is due only by 2015. Benefits to consumers from HD come from bigger screens and consumers will only shift to bigger screens as prices fall because they are way too expensive in India currently and HD. This whole tamasha of 2G and 3G and spectrum allocation, Raja, Kani etc are linked to the freeing up of bandwidth that comes from an analog to digital transition.
Even the basic cam corders come these days with full HD capabilities... if we are spending millions on air-power displays ..what stops us from recording them in full HD.. we can reduce the quality during editing ... these way we will have the option enjoying them both in HD and low definition if infrastructure is the limitation now..this is a fairly simple task and pretty much done out of box by any leading platforms like Flash or Silverlight.....the media departments are still manned by babus who has not come out of shell....
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Err its misc pictures thread