India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by darshhan »

shiv wrote:
It is very difficult to shoot a human being. Something needs to give inside your brain I guess.
It is indeed very difficult to shoot a human being.No doubts about.But one has to work towards developing this mindset so that he is completely devoid of any hesitation when someone requires being killed.This is part of developing the warrior mindset. It is not easy to master it for a normal human being.

Special forces do it.So do top shooters of mafia and other criminal organizations.But among common civilian one example stands out.Lance Thomas.Check his deeds at the following link(written by Massad Ayoob).A true warrior.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _82533205/
Over a period of less than 3 years, Thomas was involved in four gun battles against a total of 11 known suspects. He shot six of them, killing five. The watch dealer himself was wounded on two of these occasions, taking a total of five rounds. There are many lessons that the rest of us can learn: Lessons of long-term strategy and short-term tactics; of gun selection and ammunition effectiveness; and, above all, of courage under fire in the moment, and of determination over the long haul.
Here are the youtube links of the actual person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDgHDN_ANi4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDgHDN_ANi4[/youtube]

See it all.And try to imbibe as much as you can.This is actually what we should all strive for.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Haresh wrote: I suggest you google the word "stress fire"
If ever you want to replicate the sort of feelings you would have in a situation like that I would suggest that you do the following:
As many press ups as possible, until your arms fails
As many squats as possible before your legs fail
As many situps until your stomach muscles fail

And when you have done all that try calmly taking a firearm apart, put it back together and then take some carefully aimes shots!!

Sorry to Shoot your theory down :twisted:
Haresh ji. before I say anything I must commend you for taking a keen interest in Firearms training.Indeed training is vital.There is an old saying " people rise to the occasion".No they don't.They just default to the level of training they have had.Or maybe even less accounting for levels of stress tolerance for the individual concerned.

What I would like to point out is that different individuals will have different levels of stress tolerance during a gunfight scenario.Some might be relatively calmer while others will become panicky. It is upto the individual to recognize in which category he falls and train accordingly using as realistic methods as possible.The only way one can increase his stress tolerance is by training and more training.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Well some of the fellow BRFite posters have posted that they are not in favour of keeping guns and have indicated that compliance with the criminals/terrorists is a better option(by keeping some amount at hand just to pay them off) , I am truly flabbergasted.This is such a naive position.To give you an example of how depraved criminals can become.

70-Year-Old Man Raped During Morning Walk Share This Story
In Socorro, Texas, police and the FBI are looking for four men who reportedly attacked and raped a 70-year-old Mexican-American man who was out on his morning walk.

Police said the 70-year-old was walking Thursday around 6 a.m. at Valle del Sol Park when four black men got out of a Ford or Chevrolet van, or minivan, and demanded that the senior give them money. When he said, "No," they allegedly grabbed him, threw him in the van and raped him.

According to KFox14, Socorro spokesman David Garcia said the men yelled racial slurs at the victim as they assaulted him: "These four people know each other well enough to do something like this in front of each other. This is an atrocity! This man was somebody's dad. This man was somebody's brother, somebody's friend."

Garcia said the victim was so badly hurt, he had surgery and is in serious condition at a hospital. Police said the attackers are in their mid-20s to 30s.
Just imagine.This person might be someone's father or even a grandfather.This is the situation today in USA.Do you guys think that the robber will wish you Good Evening and cordially request you for the 200$ you have specifically earmarked for him.What makes you think that he will not proceed to rape your wife and your kids or for that matter even yourself ?Where is your pride and dignity ? Seriously speaking some people need to reevaluate their priorities.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Some reputed firearms training academies in America. Try to make use of them.While costs might not be cheap they are not exorbitant either.

Front sight training
http://www.frontsight.com/

Gunsite academy
http://www.gunsite.com/main/

Magpul Dynamics
http://www.magpuldynamics.com/training.html

Larry Vickers(fmr Delta Force operator)
http://vickerstactical.com/

Suarez International
http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

Darshhan,

I apologize for my naivete and cowardice. It's just an alternative point of view, that's all.

Did you know that Lightning strikes kill 24,000 people worldwide, every year? It injures 10X this number, also every year?

Why did I mention that, you ask - the chances of lightning striking my head are about as remote as a group of Afro Americans sodomizing me for not paying up during a random drive by hold-up at 6:00 AM.

Break-ins and household burglaries are on the other hand, are a little more common. One's opinion becomes a little more conservative when one is married and/or has young children. If I am confronted by armed robbers at home, I will still try the $200 ploy first. I will resort to violence only if there are no other avenues and it's a me vs them scenario. If a deranged and armed felon breaks-in to my home, I will be dead before I have had the chance to pull my Chuck Norris moment.

And this is not a US thing, there are more break-in s in East Delhi than in all of Northern California.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Manu ji , No need to apologize to me.I never pointed at you personally.I was just reacting to a mode of thinking(passive mode) which is common to lot of people on this planet.You will obviously do what you feel is best for you and your family.Godspeed.
lakshmikanth
BRFite

Post by lakshmikanth »

If your state has made legal a sawed-off shotgun, its the best to use for short range, incapacitating/fatal shots. Be sure to aim at the chest/neck/face region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawed-off_shotgun
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

hmm..... lots of posts.

- "Warrior mindset" is different from psychotic behavior of mafia enforcers, bad cops and other rogues. Warrior mindset again has way too many nuances and scalability aspects. I mean, from a war General who wont flinch, despite high casualty reversals mid-campaign to remembering best practices in a crunch situation in a boxing ring. It is discipline-centric: in thought and action. All those are nice, but wont help. And is totally irrelevant in a modern self-defense, civilian/domestic situation, where not just the "warrior", but others worth protecting are around too

- In US/Europe, if you are in a downtown/wrong side of tracks/projects area, chances are you are being mugged for money and money alone. Again there are different types, but most of them are doing it not for food or fun, but to buy substance. If they have a knife, your chances of getting out alive goes up exponentially. But if they have a gun and even if they cant shot for crap, your chances are suddenly **WAY** low. Even if you have a gun of your own. Now, I would NEVER want to be in such a part of town nor my family or friends. That is the number one thing. If you are a student - dont stay in such a locality, even if it means starving a bit in a more safer place. But if you got stuck there, the easiest option is to hand over the wallet and just walk off - even if the perp is a useless one-legged 90-year old granny with a jammed gun, there is a post-event life that you should be getting back into. Nothing else matters

Let us say if you are Chuck Norris and subdue a person, there are few ways of restraining (an arm lock with a fully-weighted knee positioned heavily on the floating ribs is one) them for a few minutes. If the cops dont come in during that time, what next? Perp is rested and will go at you with renewed vigor. Let us say cops come in. You really do not know if the perp is a crackhead with no social circles or is a mule for other more serious gang-bangers, with informant networks inside homicide/CID. A bit of quid-pro quo on some other plea-deal will get your details (oh yeah, them gora sahibs are going to "protect" my information :rotfl: ) to such elements. Last thing I want is a muscle car sliding into the curb in front of my house. No sir, the easiest is to just bid adieu to your wallet in as composed a way as you can.

Till recently, I used to believe shotguns are good in stress situations with minimal aiming needed. But they result in gruesome visuals and is not that good for a defense case. Else two sets of rich white lawyers (defense and prosec) and a good PR firm will set you back by a few 100ks of dollahs. All because you believed in gun-nut p0rn-talk?

Haresh-saar, Tanaji-saar and Manu-saar has the right points, IMHO.

Here is my take on US situations:
- knife in an open area: RUN like crazy and after a safe distance, keep a good jog to catch breath, but don't stop. Dont stop running till you are able to report the incident or atleast reach a faster mode of transport. Attacking even a slow runner with a knife is tricky and the muggers usually are not in it to prove their skills
- knife against wall: use a pepper spray/taser types/kick in the groin and RUN. The only time the odds of a counter-attack by you is good.
- gun: give out the wallet and go home safe, hug your family. THEN report.
- carjacking: ask them to leave you at curb and take the car. Reach home safe before reporting
- at home(urban) no one present : have a burglar alarm system with a central monitoring plan (costs upwards of 40$/month, but is worth it, if you travel around or go to office regularly)
- at home (urban) with kids: have cell phone *always*. That is the first thing to reach for, if you hear an odd noise like glass shattering, unexpected footfall, shuffles etc. Call 911 and even if you don't even have to talk, just leave it on. Buy time, till the first-responders come. No heroics needed
- rural home (vacationing/short time) - check for cell access, if not there, make sure you send a mail to some friends saying you are at this place and will get back in a daily basis (I have a very personal story of a friend of mine, who got into a medical situation and I was able to help, because he sent me such a mail). If not there, make sure you have a strong room where you can bundle everyone and barricade.
- rural home (long term) - here you need a gun, not for humans, but for scaring off predatory animals.

Now, all this does not mean you should not learn how to use a gun - please learn that (especially prone rifle shooting + best pistol practices under "Practical Shooting" category and as Haresh-saar says, the whole "failure drill" 8) is super important ). For example, extra-ordinary and rare situations - a cop is wounded (like in Mumbai attacks) and if you want to protect others around you.

The normal US' gun-nut propaganda of "everyone having a gun will stop crime/terrorist/aging/****-addiction" is good if everyone has a few hundred acres of personal space. Like those founding father types had. Not in a crowded US metro downtown or a crowded India with social faultlines.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

[CNN] Zakaria: India, please stand up
Americans tend to believe that all good things go together. They befriend India, another democracy, so they will have identical views of foreign policy - the same friends and enemies. :rotfl: But India has different economic and geographic interests. Indians, for their part, think they can be free-riders on the international system, exploit the stability and security of the current set up and narrowly pursue their own interests. But for the world's largest democracy, that's an unworthy mission. India does have a tryst with destiny - and it isn't to buy cheap oil from whomever and damn the consequences.
Zakaria exemplifies a mouthpiece. Bullshit++
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

PratikDas wrote:[CNN] Zakaria: India, please stand up
Americans tend to believe that all good things go together. They befriend India, another democracy, so they will have identical views of foreign policy - the same friends and enemies. :rotfl: But India has different economic and geographic interests. Indians, for their part, think they can be free-riders on the international system, exploit the stability and security of the current set up and narrowly pursue their own interests. But for the world's largest democracy, that's an unworthy mission. India does have a tryst with destiny - and it isn't to buy cheap oil from whomever and damn the consequences.
A comment from the above article:
If USA become friend of both Pakistan and India. Then why can't India become friend of USA & Iran?
:mrgreen:
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Raja Bose wrote:
If USA become friend of both Pakistan and India. Then why can't India become friend of USA & Iran?
:mrgreen:
8)

It feels like Zakaria is delivering gotus message in the backdrop of recent US objections to India buying oil from Iran. Somebody should ask for a clarification as to what he means by US and India having common enemies.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

PratikDas wrote: Zakaria exemplifies a mouthpiece. Bullshit++
I told the forum this aeons ago that he is a quintessential establishment mouthpiece. Somebody posted a profile of him by an American journal or magazine calling him an over-rated anal-yst. Of course, in today's India, red carpet will be doled out for him, and the India Today summits and Hindustan Tomes summits will prostrate before him to grace their conventions and speak.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

hnair wrote: A bit of quid-pro quo on some other plea-deal will get your details (oh yeah, them gora sahibs are going to "protect" my information :rotfl: ) to such elements. Last thing I want is a muscle car sliding into the curb in front of my house. No sir, the easiest is to just bid adieu to your wallet in as composed a way as you can.

Till recently, I used to believe shotguns are good in stress situations with minimal aiming needed. But they result in gruesome visuals and is not that good for a defense case. Else two sets of rich white lawyers (defense and prosec) and a good PR firm will set you back by a few 100ks of dollahs. All because you believed in gun-nut p0rn-talk?
That is interesting information. In India there is a commonly used term for this situation. It's called "caste system". You are saying the US law is not that fair to a person who pulls out a gun depending on who shoots and who gets shot? That is an interesting lesson. So "guns" 'n' "wild west" and self defence are for specific types of people and the freedom to buy is not freedom to use?

hnair wrote: The normal US' gun-nut propaganda of "everyone having a gun will stop crime/terrorist/aging/****-addiction" is good if everyone has a few hundred acres of personal space. Like those founding father types had. Not in a crowded US metro downtown or a crowded India with social faultlines.
This is a valid point. You need space so that the bullet goes somewhere safe if you miss. The worst possible thing would be hitting an innocent neighbour/own family member while an intruder escapes. If you are close to an intruder you cannot pull out a gun and it is no use unless you were ready and waiting for him.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

But India has different economic and geographic interests. Indians, for their part, think they can be free-riders on the international system, exploit the stability and security of the current set up and narrowly pursue their own interests. But for the world's largest democracy, that's an unworthy mission.

I agree that India is taking a free ride on the international system. If India takes a free ride on the international system, it's because they system offers that free ride. Ultimately a system cannot exist independently of its users. The question is wtf is anyone going to do about it? Asking India not to take a free ride is one thing. Making it get off forces that international system to collapse. The new system that emerges will have India better placed to dictate terms. You want the current world order to survive, you have to accommodate India. If you want to break down the world order, the new order will accommodate India.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

But which international system is India riding for free anyway? If anything, the uber-powers keep insisting that India participate by way of obeying all orders and paying all dues. In short, India is not a free-rider but a spectator and that too only when it is not a stakeholder, which is actually quite often because India doesn't receive invitation cards to the decision table at the big boy's clubs.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

we should show the middil ungli to gotus on the iran issue.. let them impose sanctions ..did no harm in 98.. won't do any now..in 6 months flat they ll lift the sanctions and send ombaba or whoever is the new POTUS to india ...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Lets get to regular programming:
* Obama Drops the Ball on India
March 27, 2012
By Patrick Christy

http://the-diplomat .com/2012/ 03/27/obama- drops-the- ball-on-india/ ?all=true

Indian firms should be a boon for American workers. So why has the administration been dragging its feet on trade deals?
* Obama’s Vital Asia Trade Mission
* India Lets U.S. Down on Iran
* Obama’s Snub? No Problem
* Why November Matters for Obama
* Indian High Commissioner Interview
The White House took great pains to brand President Barack Obama’s 2010 visit to India as a jobs trip. At every turn, it seemed, the White House press machine rolled out a new advisor to speak about the president’s efforts to “expand U.S. export opportunities and jobs� for American workers. And Obama himself stated that: “As we look to India today, the United States sees an opportunity to sell our exports in one of the fastest-growing markets in the world. For America, this is a jobs strategy.�
Yet, when it comes to India, the administration is dropping the ball. Although trade between the United States and India has increased, the economic relationship hasn’t yet reached its full potential. To do so, the administration should finalize a mutually beneficial investment treaty with India, and move forward on steps to negotiate a comprehensive Free Trade Agreement. These pacts would link American companies – and American workers – to important opportunities presented by India’s growing economy. In turn, this would lead to new jobs, and further link the United States to a critical Asia-Pacific partner.
To be sure, trade with India is on the upswing. Bilateral trade reached $48 billion in 2010, according to data from the Commerce Department, and the United States has become India’s third largest economic partner. With the exception of the global recession in 2009 and the burst of the dot-com bubble in 2001, total trade between the two countries has increased every year since 1991.
India’s economic transformation has been a boon for American companies and workers. In less than a decade, U.S. exports have quadrupled to $19 billion. While a broad array of American businesses now trade with India, few have benefited more from the relationship than U.S. manufacturers. The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative says that three manufacturing sectors – namely, machinery, electrical machinery, and aircrafts – account for three of the top five export categories to India. In the past two years, for example, India’s low-cost carrier, SpiceJet Airlines, purchased 33 new generation 737s from Boeing; India’s Ministry of Defense bought 10 Boeing C-17 Globemaster III airlifters; and Reliance Power ordered six turbines from General Electric Co. as part of a deal worth $750 million.
Equally important, yet seldom noticed, are the investments that Indian companies are making inside the United States. From 2000 to 2010, India was the United States’ second fastest growing foreign investor, with an annualized growth rate of 53 percent. In 2009 alone, Indian companies invested $4.4 billion into wide-ranging American sectors like pharmaceuticals, oil and coal, iron and steel, and telecommunications.
The tangible results of these investments can be seen across the United States. In Ohio, for example, subsidiaries of TATA, India’s largest company, employ over 1,200 people at diverse production facilities that manufacture steel products in Warren, and develop and deliver software technology in Milford. The same can be said in northeast Minnesota, where in 2008 India’s Essar Steal broke ground on a $1.6 billion steel plant on the state’s Mesabi iron range.
To his credit, Obama’s so-called “pivot� towards the Asia-Pacific acknowledges the region’s vast potential to support American jobs in the 21st century. The president signed into law – after a two and a half years delay – a job-creating free trade agreement with South Korea. The administration is now in discussions with eight Trans-Pacific Partnership countries to finalize language on a regional trade agreement with the goal of “eventually creating a free trade area of the Asia-Pacific.�
However, when it comes to India, one of the world’s most dynamic economies, the administration’s actions fall short. Obama has shown zero interest in pursuing a Free Trade Agreement with India, and other important economic discussions are moving at a snail’s pace.
Meanwhile, global competitors, such as Europe and Japan, have actively pursued strategies to knock down trade barriers with this expanding market. India has already locked a tariff-slashing trade agreement with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and has implemented additional economic pacts with Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, and Thailand. New Delhi is expected to conclude an agreement with the European Union, one of its largest trading partners, and is in ongoing talks with Australia and Canada to liberalize commerce in goods, services, and investment. Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai recently stated: “The United States is the only advanced economy in the world with which India has not concluded or is pursuing a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement.�
If Obama wants Indian companies such as Essar and TATA to make future investments in the United States, there are important steps the administration must take. First, finalize a Bilateral Investment Treaty, or BIT Treaty, with India. Washington and New Delhi first agreed, in principle, to negotiate a BIT Treaty under the Bush administration in 2008. The proposed pact would provide a predictable investment environment for companies in both countries by expanding legal protections and rights for investors abroad. However, some argue the White House is dragging its feet, despite the fact that the United States has already negotiatedin vestment treaties with 48 other nations.
Members of Congress are increasingly impatient. Senators Mark Warner (D-VA) and John Cornyn (R-TX) co-sponsored a bipartisan letter that urged the administration to “expedite the ongoing discussions about the treaty as part of a proactive engagement strategy that will produce tremendous benefits for American companies and investors, as well as for their Indian counterparts.� The senators – and American companies – realize that failing to move forward with the BIT Treaty will result, at the least, in lost opportunities for U.S. businesses.
Second, begin negotiations on a free-trade agreement. Realistically, election year politics will prevent such a pact from gaining traction in 2012. However, this shouldn’t prevent Obama’s team from moving forward with the concept. The U.S.-India relationship is built on bold initiatives, and expanding opportunities for greater people-to-people contact through a free trade agreement is the next logical step.
But the president’s slow movement on these important trade matters is indicative of an administration that has consistently mishandled – and undervalued – relations with New Delhi. Consider: Obama skipped India on his maiden trip to Asia in 2009; Obama and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao repeatedly discussed the expanded roll Beijing could play across India’s backyard in South Asia; and last year, President Obama tookseven months to nominate a replacement Ambassador to New Delhi. It’s no wonder, as two Washington-based analysts wrote in December, that the U.S.-India relationship “has lost momentum.�
In December, Deputy Secretary of State William Burns said that too often, “rhetoric tends to outpace the reality� when it comes to U.S.-India cooperation. When it comes to expanding trade ties with Asia, the administration is talking a big game. On India, it’s high time for the administration to step up to the plate.
Patrick Christy is a policy analyst at the Foreign Policy Initiative.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

PratikDas wrote:But which international system is India riding for free anyway?
Anything India does that goes against the US in the current world order is called "a free ride". Killing terrorists from Pakistan is a free ride. Keeping Kashmir and making Pakis unhappy is a free ride. Rejecting US made aircraft is a free ride. Importing Iranian oil is a free ride. Continuing to develop technology after the US sanctions it is a free ride.

How many of these free rides the US can stop without dismantling the world order is an interesting question to me.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Meanwhile

US City Council passes resolution condemning 2002 Gujarat riots :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lets forget treatment of minorities, terror attacks in India with low convictions, ULFA , Maoists, US killings in IRAQ and Afganistan.

What a joke
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

Aditya_V wrote:Meanwhile

US City Council passes resolution condemning 2002 Gujarat riots :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lets forget treatment of minorities, terror attacks in India with low convictions, ULFA , Maoists, US killings in IRAQ and Afganistan.

What a joke
In the comments section one of the comments was
Bob (USA)
36 mins ago (06:13 PM)

I can't believe the Indians commenting here are so insecure! Have any of you even HEARD of Harvey, Illinois? It is a tiny little town of 8000 families, almost all of them black. Maybe there is one muslim shopkeeper there who introduced this motion in the city council which probably consists of 5 other shopkeepers, and they voted YES on the resolution to keep their muslim friend happy. And the Indians across India are getting their shorts in a knot commenting on this! Ridiculous!! Get some self-confidence and self-respect. Do you even care what some bozos in Harvey, Illinois thinks of Gujarat?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

indians tend to respond to such trash talk with logical arguments rather than a loud fart/stream of shit in their general direction.
this weakness is exploited by many.

at some level, only crudeness works ... we all know that.
subodh
BRFite

Post by subodh »

Singhaji

-and dont forget the issue of being 'fair'.

I always bring up the catholic church and its interesting relationship with little boys anytime the discussion veers toward Hinduism and its 'strange' aspects. I have been told by otehr Indians present - that is not fair, its not relevant, etc. My response is usually that of expressing regret, but also expressing my inability to sperate the various aspects of catholisim from each otehr - pedophilia appears to be increasingly part of the sanctioned rituals - I mean, ordained priests have been at it for the last 50 years in the US, Ireland, Europe, etc - so how can anyone blame me for thinking thats how things are?

Any discussion of the 'caste system' must always be turned towards 'Brown vs Board of Education', its timing, its genesis, and the response of the folk who it affected.

Its a combination of being crude, knowing a bit of how to conduct rhetorical arguments, and always leaning forward. For many reasons, the typical NRI doesnt want to do this.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

What a joke
Indophobia.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

no, it's Hinduphobia.
lakshmikanth
BRFite

Post by lakshmikanth »

^^^ anti-indicism and Indophobia (if it was the Jews on the receiving end, it would be called antisemitism)

subodh wrote:Singhaji

Its a combination of being crude, knowing a bit of how to conduct rhetorical arguments, and always leaning forward. For many reasons, the typical NRI doesnt want to do this.
+100 This is exactly what I have started to do! I love the look on their faces when it hits them. Although I gracefully agree to issues back home, I make it a point to point out the crap that happens in the west, I try to do it in a rhetorical way leading their foot slowly up their mouths.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

Indophobia == phobia of India. what is India? you kafirs think India == Hindu. that is nonsense. India is an artificial construction of several "ethnic" groups. ergo >> there is no such thing as "indophobia".

it is Hinduphobia.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

shiv wrote: That is interesting information. In India there is a commonly used term for this situation. It's called "caste system". You are saying the US law is not that fair to a person who pulls out a gun depending on who shoots and who gets shot? That is an interesting lesson. So "guns" 'n' "wild west" and self defence are for specific types of people and the freedom to buy is not freedom to use?
Per Ramanaji's advise above, here is my take in OT thread
lakshmikanth
BRFite

Post by lakshmikanth »

devesh wrote:Indophobia == phobia of India. what is India? you kafirs think India == Hindu. that is nonsense. India is an artificial construction of several "ethnic" groups. ergo >> there is no such thing as "indophobia".

it is Hinduphobia.
Minor nitpick: I think Hindu was a political construct external to ancient Indic regions. Would Indic-phobia be an apt term instead? Bharathphobia ?
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Zakaria = Uncle Tom
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There is a reason he is talking.

He was the "back room" conduit for the nuke deal and his making the statement is a demand from gotus.
Shows how bad the situation is!
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

US should be thanking India. Buying Iranian oil means putting less pressure on the available global supply, and thus helping to ameliorate the rise in oil prices, a sensitive issue for Obama's reelection.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

what's the worst us can do to India ? cry , beg, groan ,moan , shout , impose sanctions , mew , bark ? take your pick..
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

shiv wrote:

What a joke
Indophobia.
TOI is indulging in its usual rhetoric. Nobody cares about that city. What matters is really this:

"The leader of the western world just peed in its pants"

Added later: Since the above may ask for login, another news item West may be s*itt*ng BRICS and hence a new phase of cold war. BTW, the Zoellick guy is the outgoing chief of WB and generally WB chair is controlled by US and IMF by Europe.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

interesting thing here is that how did toilet paper come to know of the resolution ? Its not like harvey is a famous town or something.. it has high poverty and is black dominated. it is not notable for anything particular.. Most americans would not be aware of its existence .. may be the sole purpose of passing this resolution was to make a headline in toilet and nothing else.. the mayor of this town has just about as much say in international politics as I have .. he is a nobody just like me... whole thing is BENIS material only...perhaps someone in this town was as paki or a disgruntled IM , or related to the pseudo-sickoolar brigade.. requested the mayor to pass the resolution and once it was passed informed the toilet paper , that he's got some modi-bashing material...
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

when resolutions like this are passed there is usually a NRPaqui involved in the proceedings
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

http://books.hindustantimes.com/2012/04 ... ting-book/

Indo-US relationship drifting: book

India should have sent its troops back to Sri Lanka to kill or capture Prabhakaran and the LTTE leadership after the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi, says a new book by a former US diplomat.

Rajiv Gandhi’s killing was an attack on India’s status as a regional power. Forcibly bringing Prabhakaran to India to face trial would have sent a clear message to the region, and the world, that India would defend its political leaders from attack, defend its political system from intimidation and defend its primacy in South Asia against any challengers, the author says.

A frightened India became content with being a passive regional power rather than active global power, says the book China’s Nightmare, America’s Dream: India as the next global power by William H Avery, former American diplomat.

Avery was on posting in India and served in the US department of state during the administrations of president Bill Clinton and George W Bush.

India’s window of opportunity to influence Sri Lanka will never be as wide open as it was in 1991 after Rajiv’s killing, the author says adding that India’s craven inaction in Sri Lanka after the assassination cost it valuable years in its quest to become a global power.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

X-posting from the physics dhaga ... very interesting read and related to India-US Strategic news:
>>>I have talked about Majorana Fermions in this thread. Here is a very interesting article about this in NY times. These particles are their own anti particles...
A Feynman diagram of an encounter between a Romney and an anti-Romney. The resulting collision annihilates both, leaving behind a single electron and a $20 bill

For more read: A Quantum Theory of Mitt Romney

Mitt is the first quantum politician.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Amber G. wrote:X-posting from the physics dhaga ... very interesting read and related to India-US Strategic news:
>>>I have talked about Majorana Fermions in this thread. Here is a very interesting article about this in NY times. These particles are their own anti particles...
A Feynman diagram of an encounter between a Romney and an anti-Romney. The resulting collision annihilates both, leaving behind a single electron and a $20 bill

For more read: A Quantum Theory of Mitt Romney

Mitt is the first quantum politician.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/USED-358947

New Rules to Send Money Home Safely
In many Asian American communities, families commonly send money back to their home country in the form of remittances. Treasury Department records show that an estimated $14 billion was sent back in remittances to South Asian countries, and an estimated $27 billion was sent back to East Asian countries. However, in doing so, many Asian Americans have had to deal with concerns about the safety and security of the transmittal processes. Unexplained fees, inconsistent rules, and uncertainty about arrival have been common issues in dealing with remittances.
However, in 2013, under direction of Congress through the Dodd-Frank Act, the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau (CFPB) will enforce new rules that will make the costs of sending remittances clear and hold remittance transfer providers accountable for certain errors. Nick Rathod, from the CFPB, reflected on the importance of these rules in his blog, Remittance Transfer Rule: A Personal Perspective.
As a child of South Asian immigrants, I recall my parents frequently sending money back to our family and friends in India. Because so much depended on its receipt, my parents were uneasy about the transaction until they knew the money was in the right hands. Their unease was not unwarranted. My parents had no control over how the money got there. When my parents used a service to send money, they never fully understood the process, were charged numerous, unexplained fees, and felt powerless if any errors were made. At times they resorted to sending cash by mail, an option that was not especially secure… As a lifelong advocate for immigrant communities, I am very proud that the first final rulemaking adopted by the CFPB addresses this issue and brings new protections to many consumers who, like my family, continue to send money to family members, loved ones, and others abroad.
Read the rest of Nick’s blog here.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/03/ ... spective-0
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Manny wrote:http://books.hindustantimes.com/2012/04 ... ting-book/

Indo-US relationship drifting: book

Rajiv Gandhi’s killing was an attack on India’s status as a regional power. Forcibly bringing Prabhakaran to India to face trial would have sent a clear message to the region, and the world, that India would defend its political leaders from attack, defend its political system from intimidation and defend its primacy in South Asia against any challengers, the author says.

A frightened India became content with being a passive regional power rather than active global power, says the book China’s Nightmare, America’s Dream: India as the next global power by William H Avery, former American diplomat.

Avery was on posting in India and served in the US department of state during the administrations of president Bill Clinton and George W Bush.

India’s window of opportunity to influence Sri Lanka will never be as wide open as it was in 1991 after Rajiv’s killing, the author says adding that India’s craven inaction in Sri Lanka after the assassination cost it valuable years in its quest to become a global power.
Rajiv was not even a PM then, just a leader. India was attacked numerous times since then, Mumbai attacks, J&K Assembly, Parliament, Kaluchak to name a few. Those were not red lines? India since had many opportunities to standup and show everybody that we mean business.
If India had spine and a dynamic leadership we would have completely destroyed the Pakistani Army and its war fighting apparatus and shown a BIG birdie to US. What the hell, we would have evicted US from Diego Garcia island.
Indian leaders are afraid of Change. Indian Bureaucrats are afraid of change. Indian Government employees are afraid of change.All the Indian Citizens are afraid of change. The problem is much much deep in Indian psyche.
In a sense India is caught in a time warp and never really got Independence from the British. Our minds are still serving the old masters. British must be proud to create the worlds largest pool of loyal clerks and attenders. We serve well under foreign management but suck under desi management. Indians follow rules better than locals in US or Europe, We work better than well paid employees when in foreign countries. We are the best behaved monkeys in the zoo. We will remain so until we stop from being satisfied by bananas and photographs.