China Military Watch - Jan 11, 2011

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Re: China Military Watch - Jan 11, 2011

Post by Philip »

Of course the PLA is rotten to the core! Why,they've for decades cohabited with the Paki military and have thus acquired the same "pox" of unmitigated corruption.As in Pak,in China too the military have cornered all the lucrative businesses and industries either directly or through benamis.Excellent news for all China-threatened nations.As for the dead-end with Russia on the SU-35,I'm sure the Russians are having a great laugh at Chinese expense,"ditching them at the altar" and giving them a painful kick up their nether ends for illegal reverse-engineering and exporting Russian weapon systems and their tech.Crime never pays in the long run.
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Is an India-China arms race brewing?

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/ins ... 53868.html
member_23047
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23047 »

This seems to be an older article from March, when Ex Pralay was going on in the East. For those of us here in the Eastern part of the country, it was a treat as fighters roared in the skies right past 9 at night. The exercise seemed quite intensive as fighter sorties went on throughout the day, evening and even nights. Was a treat for us jingoes based here, as we hardly see or hear fighters over flying these days....
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

More on the Phillipine-China stand off:
The nine-day-old naval standoff between China and the Philippines showed few signs of cooling on Thursday, with Beijing sending a powerful military vessel toward the disputed islands in the South China Sea.

According to Chinese media reports Thursday, officials say the country's most advanced fishing patrol vessel, the Yuzheng 310, has been sent to protect Chinese fishermen in the region.

The standoff began early last week when Chinese surveillance ships prevented a Philippines warship from arresting several Chinese fishermen near Scarborough Shoal, an area both sides claim as sovereign territory.

Manila has requested to refer the issue to an international court, arguing the shoal is well within its internationally recognized exclusive economic zone.

Wednesday, Beijing rejected that request and summoned the Philippines Charge d'Affaires, Alex Chua, over the issue.
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/htm ... 00458.html
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

i got a question to all people here and since it's related to china,i am asking on this thread....some time ago various officials via the media informed us that since the days of Parakaram, we have been validating various operations and plans to shorten the response time in the event of war on the western front from a month(?) to 96 hours...fine/great/keep improving...what about our response time to the east??? Never heard any thing on this topic and could really not fine any discussion on this....anybody??
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the PN has been given some of these boats. unsuited for heavy seas and lacks a sustainable air defence but good for hit and run coastal raiding.

I suspect they will try some stunt like launching an attack on porbandar or jamnagar next time to put a 'score' up on the board....
Christopher Sidor
BRFite

Post by Christopher Sidor »

samverma wrote:i got a question to all people here and since it's related to china,i am asking on this thread....some time ago various officials via the media informed us that since the days of Parakaram, we have been validating various operations and plans to shorten the response time in the event of war on the western front from a month(?) to 96 hours...fine/great/keep improving...what about our response time to the east??? Never heard any thing on this topic and could really not fine any discussion on this....anybody??
+1
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Christopher Sidor wrote:
samverma wrote:i got a question to all people here and since it's related to china,i am asking on this thread....some time ago various officials via the media informed us that since the days of Parakaram, we have been validating various operations and plans to shorten the response time in the event of war on the western front from a month(?) to 96 hours...fine/great/keep improving...what about our response time to the east??? Never heard any thing on this topic and could really not fine any discussion on this....anybody??
+1
1) There is an asymmetric component to the threat from the West, which is what started this "response time" business.No such component exists to the East - yet
2) East is more of "Mountain warfare" - a different game (war, height and terrain). Not an expert, but India is more on the D there and building a O capability

Two different animals.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Don,

The Chinese should outsource the design (look) of their ships to the French.

That thing is as ugly as it gets. And hope one of those missiles does not take off a mast on of these days.
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

1) There is an asymmetric component to the threat from the West, which is what started this "response time" business.No such component exists to the East - yet
2) East is more of "Mountain warfare" - a different game (war, height and terrain). Not an expert, but India is more on the D there and building a O capability

Two different animals.[/quote]

Nrao sir,

Sorry, I am a trainee :oops: ...didn't understand the D and O capability ur talking about. Request you to kindly explain.

Thanks in advance.
anchal
BRFite

Post by anchal »

deterrence vs. offence
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

(Please drop the "sir". Thx)

Defense (or is it Defence?) and Offense (Offence).

I think the ratio is something like 4:1 as we post. It should get a little better when an entire Mountain Strike Corp is supposedly to be raised - just to be doubly sure, with toilets, if I may add (before the Chinese 'experts' complain again).

But, because of heights + terrain one cannot really compare it with the doctrine on the other front.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Just thinking aloud.

All these years I used to say that China had a window to attack India - IF she really wanted to do so.

I think with the international response to the A-5 test that window may either have closed or at least started to close.

China, for all practical purposes, can kiss AP goodbye for the next 30-50 years. May be they can re-visit that topic after that.

I would be very curios to see what Chicom does with her currency. That is a card she still has to buy back Western love (and perhaps blunt the A-5)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

There is a specific reason for reducing the response time. And it is Pakistan specific. Pakistan openly advertises war plans where they admit that they will not be able to fight for more than two weeks and that if war is imposed on them by India it will either be stopped by international pressure within two weeks or will turn nuclear.

All previous military mobilizations by India - ending with the last one Operation Parakram, have taken so long that it has given the Pakistanis plenty of time to beef up defences and initiate diplomatic pressure on India via its 3.5 friends. In fact the US has even provided them with satelllte Intel about Indian manoeuvres. Also in earlier wars American arms manufacturers who have supplied Pakistan have been desperate to make sure their arms don't fail (thereby affecting exports) - even it it means "cheating" and providing some extra help like intel. That is why there is a plan to hit Pakis with very short notice - punish them and come out.

No such plan exists for China.
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

Would such a plan even be possible against China given the mountains in between ? Maybe we can move in a large number of infantry divisions and free Tibet fast but beyond that I am not sure. Perhaps bomb their infrastructure near the border or a long range brahmos ? :)
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

shiv wrote:

All previous military mobilizations by India - ending with the last one Operation Parakram, have taken so long that it has given the Pakistanis plenty of time to beef up defences and initiate diplomatic pressure on India via its 3.5 friends. In fact the US has even provided them with satelllte Intel about Indian manoeuvres. Also in earlier wars American arms manufacturers who have supplied Pakistan have been desperate to make sure their arms don't fail (thereby affecting exports) - even it it means "cheating" and providing some extra help like intel. That is why there is a plan to hit Pakis with very short notice - punish them and come out.

No such plan exists for China.
Biggest support Pakistan gets is the media support from the west in all wars.
This western media support in all wars has kept India at check and held back. India by using rapid mobilization will reduce this advantage to Pakistan.

With China there is no need for this rapid fast logistics since terrain is different.
But China has a different challenge. Their mobilization at the border to create conflict is done covertly and this needs a different strategy
Christopher Sidor
BRFite

Post by Christopher Sidor »

NRao wrote:

Two different animals.
Two different terrains. And threat does exist to the East. For obvious reasons we cannot station most of our troops in and around Arunachal and Sikkim. Some of them will have to come from the plains of north east or eastern India. If there is a breach in our defense lines along these two states, then we will have to see how quick our troops can react and reach their designated places.

Nature of modern war fare dictates that the initial response determines the outcome of the whole conflict. And let us face it, PLA and PLAAF are the only forces on Indian borders which have the capability to take offense against IA and IAF. Not Porki army or its anemic air force.

So we need to have the discussion on how quick can IA step into conflict and take the offensive.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

if you compare the road n rail infra in eastern india vs west/north/south, there is a severe case of anemia lasting over decades. it will take some time to undo past wrongs - provided they are serious about it. at present assam still has MG line as the main railway lifeline to tezpur and beyond... only 3 bridges across the brahmaputra ... the list could go on.
in arunachal there are hardly any EW roads to deny the chinese ease of movement if they penetrate, its mostly NS to bottle them up in valleys.

so rapid movement and repositioning is out of question in that sector from faraway camps. whatever we desire has to be positioned as close to the front as possible with short and well protected lines of advance and a huge stockpile of fuel, food and ammo for high intensity usage without being dependent on thin supply lines. and thats precisely what we have done by fwd deploying to places like tawang , Se La, "tenga valley", rangiya which any army brat knows of.
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

To all the people who replied to my post above...a very big thank you!!! Never went beyond Bagdroga so am forced to visualize the terrain and other difficulties that we will face...But it got me thinking...the defense plans in place are for defending only what we consider to be our version of the borders...as and when we get to the "offensive" capabilities will we use them for again "defense" or do we really want to take it to the next level and re-align the Chinese borders and give birth two new countries (Xinxiang and Tibet) into this wonderful world we live in :)
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

So we need to have the discussion on how quick can IA step into conflict and take the offensive.[/quote]

With this quote and what Singha sir said about the lack of infrastructure, where do we really stand?? Paper plans of improving the infrastructure seem to be moving at glacial speeds...do we prepare of a similar (not identical as we have improved but still...) repeat of '62? Stupid and costly mistakes in terms of loss of lives and whatever land the Chinese may want to take?
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

A Nandy wrote:Would such a plan even be possible against China given the mountains in between ? Maybe we can move in a large number of infantry divisions and free Tibet fast but beyond that I am not sure. Perhaps bomb their infrastructure near the border or a long range brahmos ? :)

I don't think we are in a position considering the limited numbers being manufactured today...it might change tomorrow but requires ballsy steps from the govt..average of 18-24 months to set up/expand the manufacturing facilities (across the whole spectrum from raw material to assembly)along with the necessary training that needs to be imparted to new recruits, testing, delivery to armed forces, deployment and then the regular validation of operations and tactics..

We need to remember, the PLA, PLAF, their paramilitary personnel have been entrenched for quite sometime...may not be first world qualitative but as someone once said on BR "quantity is also a form of quality"
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

China, for all practical purposes, can kiss AP goodbye for the next 30-50 years. May be they can re-visit that topic after that.

Nrao,

I don't admit to being any form of expert least of all on military matters, but the feeling that i get (very personal opinion) from reading across a range of posts/threads on BR, Chinese have a very different thinking then others..what we may consider impractical / illogical may not reflect the Chinese thinking..what little i understand is that with the unpredictable and secretive mind set of the Chinese,what's to stop them from doing something nasty on our borders...whether to validate their superpower ambitions, to divert the attention of their people from the internal problems or any other "reason" they might think of...What are your thoughts on this?
member_22906
BRFite

Post by member_22906 »

Maybe a noo-B question but have always had this nasty feeling that China in AP will use an unconventional approach like first flooding the Indian side by releasing water in Bramhaputra and its tributaries and then occupy land.

Perhaps its just a bizarre thought (since flooding will also create challenges for them to occupy) but surely it does impact our supply lines and holding areas and infrastructure.

Not sure if we have wargamed such scenarios
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Singha wrote:if you compare the road n rail infra in eastern india vs west/north/south, there is a severe case of anemia lasting over decades. it will take some time to undo past wrongs - provided they are serious about it. at present assam still has MG line as the main railway lifeline to tezpur and beyond... only 3 bridges across the brahmaputra ... the list could go on.
in arunachal there are hardly any EW roads to deny the chinese ease of movement if they penetrate, its mostly NS to bottle them up in valleys.

so rapid movement and repositioning is out of question in that sector from faraway camps. whatever we desire has to be positioned as close to the front as possible with short and well protected lines of advance and a huge stockpile of fuel, food and ammo for high intensity usage without being dependent on thin supply lines. and thats precisely what we have done by fwd deploying to places like tawang , Se La, "tenga valley", rangiya which any army brat knows of.
The old think seemed to have been: you take AP, we take .......

However, Chicom over the years have strengthened the ".......", including inserting their troops in PoK (granted for building toilet, nonetheless they are there)!!!

The recent past reaction of the IA is to this. That Chicom is taking away the IA's advantage.

Also, other nations are not going to keep still. They may not like either nation, but, an actual war is a very, very rare instance to collect data. I am speculating wildly here, but, I would not be surprised if Western nations offer real-time info in exchange to collect info by inserting/embedding data gathering assets close to the front. This in addition to any remote/distance gathering facilities.

Also, as I have always said, the threat is really not from "China" as it is from the PLA. Even all the noise we hear WRT the A-5 is PLA talk. Every news paper is a PLA mouth piece. And, all experts need to get clearance from the PLA to talk on this topic - after all what would the (any?) PM/President know about the A-5?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

One last observation:

Indian politicians giving a "nod" for a Strike Corps on the Eastern front is NO LESS than they giving a nod for the A-5. In fact, I feel, that the two go hand in hand. GoI has played the game in such a way that no, forget waves, ripples are created. But, let there be no doubt, MG rail or bad roads or whatever, that the GoI is not going to take crap on that front.

As far as I am concerned what appears as a nonsensical way that the GoI handles issues related to the Eastern front is not as comical as it appears to be. At the end of the day everything will be in place for a good strike package that should keep Chicom awake way beyond their sleep time.

JMT.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

samverma wrote:So we need to have the discussion on how quick can IA step into conflict and take the offensive.

With this quote and what Singha sir said about the lack of infrastructure, where do we really stand?? Paper plans of improving the infrastructure seem to be moving at glacial speeds...do we prepare of a similar (not identical as we have improved but still...) repeat of '62? Stupid and costly mistakes in terms of loss of lives and whatever land the Chinese may want to take?
IAF and missile regiments are the answer to your question. This will make up for the lack of infrastucture.
India in 2012 is not India in 1962. Indian capability in the region are at a very high level. International environment and level of support for India is different in 2012 and in the future. India has independent relations with several nations in the world without the vestiges of the British colonial past.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ellow-sea/
China-Russia naval drills begin in Yellow Sea

BEIJING (AP) — China and Russia launched joint naval exercises Sunday that highlight warming ties between their militaries and growing cooperation in international affairs.

Chinese state broadcaster CCTV said the six days of drills feature simulated anti-aircraft, anti-submarine and search-and-rescue operations, including electronic countermeasures and other sensitive technologies.

Retired Maj. Gen. Yin Zhuo said it shows a high degree of trust between the sides.

“It’s an excellent exchange for China to be able to drill jointly in such sensitive areas,” Gen. Yin told CCTV.

China‘s Defense Ministry said China was sending two submarines and 16 ships to take part, including destroyers, escort vessels and hospital ships. The deputy chiefs of the countries’ navies oversaw the start of drills in the northeastern Chinese port of Qingdao, the home of China‘s northern fleet.

The two militaries hold frequent exchanges, despite recent disputes over Chinese copying of Russian military technology such as Sukhoi jet fighters. China was a key customer for the former Soviet arms industry, but recent technological advances at home have made it far less dependent on Russian weaponry.

Much of that cooperation takes place within the confines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, a grouping of Central Asian states that seeks to check U.S. influence in the region and began holding joint drills in 2005.

Formerly Cold War rivals for leadership of the communist world, China and Russia have since found common ground in countering liberal democratizing trends across Asia and Eastern Europe and frequently vote against Western initiatives in the U.N. Security Council.

Most recently, they have united to block any U.N. actions on Syrian violence that could lead to some form of humanitarian intervention, a prospect both nations abhor.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

U.S. Confronts China Over N.Korean Rocket Launcher
The White House has accused Beijing of supplying North Korea with technology for a missile launcher showcased in a military parade in Pyongyang last week.

"We've raised the allegations with the Chinese government ... as part of our ongoing close consultations on North Korea," White House spokesman Jay Carney said at a daily news briefing on Monday.

Carney was reacting to reports that the vehicle, a transporter-erector launcher, may have been of Chinese origin.

Senior U.S. officials believe the Chinese company Hubei Sanjiang sold components used in constructing the launcher, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The launcher was seen carrying what appeared to be the North's latest missile.

China's involvement would constitute a breach of a UN arms embargo.

China has said it did not violate UN resolutions on North Korea.

Last week, the defense publishing group Jane's said the UN Security Council was investigating the claims.

Carney's comments come amid increased tensions on the Korean peninsula, following Pyongyang's failed long-range rocket launch earlier this month which the United States said was cover for a ballistic missile technology test.

Western nations fear the North may be preparing for another nuclear test.

Carney said the United States would "continue to work with the international community, including China, to enforce sanctions against North Korea's ballistic missile program and nuclear program."

Meanwhile, Chinese President Hu Jintao reaffirmed stong ties with Pyongyang during a meeting in Beijing on Monday with a North Kokean envoy, and appealed for "peace and stability" on the Korean peninsula.

"We will... strengthen strategic links and coordination on major international and regional issues for the purpose of safeguarding lasting peace and stability of the Korean peninsula," Hu was quoted by Xinhuia news agency as saying.

The North has threatened to wage a "sacred war" against Seoul over what it said where South Korean President Lee Myung-bak's "insulting" remarks about celebrations of the centenary of the birth of its late founding leader Kim Il-sung.

South Korea said last week it had deployed new cruise missiles capable of hitting anywhere in the North.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Singha wrote: <SNIP>at present assam still has MG line as the main railway lifeline to tezpur and beyond... only 3 bridges across the brahmaputra ... the list could go on.
<SNIP>
Where did the bold part come from?
schowdhuri
BRFite

Post by schowdhuri »

Acharya wrote:
samverma wrote:So we need to have the discussion on how quick can IA step into conflict and take the offensive.

IAF and missile regiments are the answer to your question. This will make up for the lack of infrastucture.
India in 2012 is not India in 1962. Indian capability in the region are at a very high level. International environment and level of support for India is different in 2012 and in the future. India has independent relations with several nations in the world without the vestiges of the British colonial past.
One more thing is in 1962 systems were a mess. My dad's regiment moved to NEFA, and jsut watched the Chinese, because their guns which was to follow the regt ended up somewhere in Assam. That kind of stupidity won't happen today.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in 900km stretch of brahmaputra there are at present a grand total of 3 bridges , two of which are road cum rail and one is road only. in any half-decent country or china, there would be no less than 15 in such a populated stretch. there would be 6 lane highways down both banks with a road bridge every 30km and a rail bridge every 100.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:B ... utra_River

the 4th bridge at dibrugarh was proposed when I was in school in 80s wearing half pant, work started when I was in engg college, continued on through my marriage and 2 kids and is still not done. hopefully my kid will see it in high school.

in 5yrs , 30km long bridges come up over the sea like between denmark-sweden, shanghai ningbo and the asashi kaikyo....here they cannot bridge a river in a decade!

such is the "grand urgency" in which the NE is run. :rotfl:
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

I understand that these two will be the primary force in play in the NE...but the way we are going, we won't reach 39-45 squadrons till 2030 at least (i am guessing here) and our missile regiments (defensive and offensive) are also not being procured in large numbers yet....considering that we have had validated and matured in various technologies we still have not set up manufacturing facilities for large numbers of missile systems...knowing very well that there is a strong possibility of a war(short - long doesn't matter) we should have been on a war footing in terms of acquiring large numbers of weapon systems and deploying them by now....
BrijeshB
BRFite -Trainee

Post by BrijeshB »

ONGC to go ahead with oil exploration in South China Sea :D

http://business-standard.com/india/news ... /163606/on
BrijeshB
BRFite -Trainee

Post by BrijeshB »

Does anybody found this new development. Is this would be a mere coincidence at this time ?

India to allow US look for WW II plane wreckages
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=17901

Britain Plans to locate buried Spitfires in Myanmar
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... Burma.html
BrijeshB
BRFite -Trainee

Post by BrijeshB »

Austin wrote:U.S. Confronts China Over N.Korean Rocket Launcher
The White House has accused Beijing of supplying North Korea with technology for a missile launcher showcased in a military parade in Pyongyang last week.

"We've raised the allegations with the Chinese government ... as part of our ongoing close consultations on North Korea," White House spokesman Jay Carney said at a daily news briefing on Monday.

Carney was reacting to reports that the vehicle, a transporter-erector launcher, may have been of Chinese origin.

Senior U.S. officials believe the Chinese company Hubei Sanjiang sold components used in constructing the launcher, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The launcher was seen carrying what appeared to be the North's latest missile.

China's involvement would constitute a breach of a UN arms embargo.

China has said it did not violate UN resolutions on North Korea.

Last week, the defense publishing group Jane's said the UN Security Council was investigating the claims.

Carney's comments come amid increased tensions on the Korean peninsula, following Pyongyang's failed long-range rocket launch earlier this month which the United States said was cover for a ballistic missile technology test.

Western nations fear the North may be preparing for another nuclear test.

Carney said the United States would "continue to work with the international community, including China, to enforce sanctions against North Korea's ballistic missile program and nuclear program."

Meanwhile, Chinese President Hu Jintao reaffirmed stong ties with Pyongyang during a meeting in Beijing on Monday with a North Kokean envoy, and appealed for "peace and stability" on the Korean peninsula.

"We will... strengthen strategic links and coordination on major international and regional issues for the purpose of safeguarding lasting peace and stability of the Korean peninsula," Hu was quoted by Xinhuia news agency as saying.

The North has threatened to wage a "sacred war" against Seoul over what it said where South Korean President Lee Myung-bak's "insulting" remarks about celebrations of the centenary of the birth of its late founding leader Kim Il-sung.

South Korea said last week it had deployed new cruise missiles capable of hitting anywhere in the North.

Chinese boast of missile transporter sale

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/68010 ... orter-sale
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

BrijeshB wrote:Does anybody found this new development. Is this would be a mere coincidence at this time ?

India to allow US look for WW II plane wreckages
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=17901

Britain Plans to locate buried Spitfires in Myanmar
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... Burma.html
Very old stuff. Do not read anything into these items.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

The Chinese have been bit careless in providing long-range ballistic missile and nuclear technologies to unstable states like North Korea and Pakistan, who have in-turn passed it on to other "rouge" states. Some day it may regret it when the chickens come home to roost.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

China for no-first-use of atomic weapons
BEIJING: Promising to strictly adhere to policy of no-first-use of atomic weapons, China today called on other nuclear weapons states to "abandon the nuclear deterrence policy based on first use".

"China had adhered to the policy of no-first-use of nuclear weapons at any time and under any circumstance" Cheng Jingye, China's Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other International Organisations in Vienna said.

"The nuclear-weapon states should unequivocally undertake not to be the first to use nuclear weapons and negotiate and conclude the Treaty on Mutual No-First-Use of Nuclear Weapons", he was quoted as saying by state-run Xinhua news agency.

He was speaking at the Preparatory Committee for 2015 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons at Vienna.

"To earnestly reduce the risks of nuclear weapons, nuclear-weapon states should abandon the nuclear deterrence policy based on the first use of nuclear weapons", Chen stressed.

The Chinese stand may not go down well with its strategic ally, the Pakistan military.

According to Wikileaks document attributed to former US ambassador to Pakistan Anne Patterson, Pakistan's army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani does not support President Asif Ali Zardari's "no-first-use" nuclear policy.

"Although he has remained silent on the subject, Kayani does not support Zardari's statement to the Indian press that Pakistan would adopt a 'no first use' policy on nuclear weapons", according to US diplomatic cables released by whistle-blower website WikiLeaks last year.

"Despite increasing financial constraints, we believe that the military is proceeding with an expansion of both its growing strategic weapons and missile programs," according to "scenesetter" cables sent by Patterson.

The cable was part of Wikileaks documents released last year.