Military Multimedia - Indian Armed Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Military Multimedia Content

Post by shiv »

ravi_g wrote:Shiv ji, Techno Firangi got it good.

You remember these firangis didnt allow even one Indian on board any of the ships in the movie '2012', not even the Jimi Mistry who was shown no less a tech expert.

Just kidding here.

I think I have seen that movie and if it is what i think it is then it was a reasonable movie. Is it the movie where everything depends on one guy who has only made a model plane and who then rather convincingly explains why modelling is more difficult then the bigger ones?
What I did not write in my post is that those 54 minutes were extremely well made and very watchable and I have only admiration for the technical skills that exist among mango Americans. But the whole thing was such a let down after all that :(
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

ravi_g wrote:I think I have seen that movie and if it is what i think it is then it was a reasonable movie. Is it the movie where everything depends on one guy who has only made a model plane and who then rather convincingly explains why modelling is more difficult then the bigger ones?
It is not what you think it to be, you are referring to this or this.

Cheers....
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

^ yes the 1965 version. Thanks.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

vikrant wrote:
ravi_g wrote:I think I have seen that movie and if it is what i think it is then it was a reasonable movie. Is it the movie where everything depends on one guy who has only made a model plane and who then rather convincingly explains why modelling is more difficult then the bigger ones?
It is not what you think it to be, you are referring to this or this.

Cheers....
That movie in 1965 was made to show the public that they can win the cold war and they need to work together with everybody doing their part.

They created another one in 2002? and the purpose and the message are the same.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Su-27 FAMILY SUKHOI-KNAAPO FIGHTERS

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cross post from wrong thread
shyamd wrote:Can someone translate what the jawans are saying.

Handwara forest encounter video with jawans. Amazing. Look at the great lengths they go through.

http://www.timesnow.tv/5-Lashkar-milita ... 399874.cms
This video is a keeper, either for download or finding a permanent YouTube url. It illustrates why the army cannot use helicopter gunships in Kashmir. The problem is similar to what the Americans faced in Vietnam - and even the "solution" of tearing up forest with a circling Gatling armed C-130 and deforestation using the chemical Agent Orange to denude wide areas of forest did not work.

As an aside the US has been no better than Saddam in the use of chemical weapons and mass human extermination to attempt victories that do not happen.
siddharth
BRFite -Trainee

Post by siddharth »

A good one on the Astute class.

[youtube]_ODDjsK0BOg&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Amazing how the vehicle disappears on the thermal sights.. :)
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

WALK the talk with DRDO Chief

EDIT: First shots of the inside of the new DRDO HQ in Delhi. Very impressive.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

HQ can be non descript

its the lab\research centers need to be impressive
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Surya wrote:HQ can be non descript

its the lab\research centers need to be impressive
No doubt sir, but its not an either-or situation.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

we are still far away from having fancy offices

the reason I mentioned this was

At the end of the day, the taxpayer is down by thousands of crores while the DRDO carries on constructing five star facilities for itself from the funds meant for such projects. See the new DRDO office near South Block and compare it with its poor cousin, Sena Bhavan, or its below-poverty-line hutments housing EME personnel. They are the ones who initially designed the Arjun MBT as an uprated version and successor to the Vijayanta MBT.

from http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... abled.html

anyway off topic
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Helli Russia: Russian Rotors

Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Surya, with due respect, what Kaul is saying in that case is pure hogwash and typical of how the civilian MOD-Army mistrust ire is directed at the most frivolous of issues and against the DRDO etc.

The DRDO has to have a minimum level of capex even on decent looking infra for two reasons - one, every org has a dog & pony show infra set up for foreign dignitaries to visit etc when trying to present India as a decent alternative to jointly work on research projects on, the usual "simple living high thinking" stuff, falls flat there. This is something most Indian companies have realized.

Second, the young joinees in DRDO expect a minimum work environment, with decent new infrastructure and workplace environs. They will otherwise benchmark against Infy etc and leave - "no money and even the place sucks" etc. For GOI institutions, retaining and hiring experienced or even good young talent with high expectations, is a constant challenge. Kaul is also clearly ignoring how glitzy many of the Army's own places are - spanking clubs, halls, with all sorts of traditions maintained which cannot be afforded by the up and coming clubs with huge membership fees. The reason nobody picks on them is because they play an invaluable role in maintaining esprit de corps. Similarly, I have been to several "service institutions" in India over the past decade, as would have many here - they make the facilities earlier at DRDO or the DPSU "halls", pale in comparison.

Basically, DRDO etc need to spend on such infrastructure - both at the HQ and lab level. Making do with the usual chalta hain, leaking walls, 1970's era building with another layer of "choona" applied, will not do.

The other thing is how Kaul totally misidentifies what is happening with investments and ties it to frivolous grounds. DRDO is not going to come out and say how much it spent on acquiring an engine tech or a widget - it obviously cannot. So in turn, even otherwise informed gents use the spending on things like a new HQ to imply those funds are being diverted here! Which is not the case, and second, even the former spending is often criticized.

I have often heard from otherwise senior, personnel as to why DRDO or any research firm needs money - "isnt their salary sufficient", often said with the implication that the money is being therefore misspent.

The problem is these gents - like many other, otherwise very competent service officers, have little understanding of how expensive even basic infrastructure is when it comes to development, and the amounts required when the sophistication scales up.

I once mentioned how much a company usually invests in a state of the art fab to give these guys an idea of how underinvested the Indian hitech sector was, and they were shocked. "They have so many Phd's, what is the use" - cue laughter. Ask the Phd, and he'll say he is waiting for his application to a pvt job come through - better money, and at least, he has the tools for his job. In GOI, his application for basic stuff has been pending with xyz for years. Things are better now in the funding side, but this misapprehension amongst the users quite clearly persists.

The problem is the Armed forces in India have so long been in user mode, with limited involvement as project managers (only the Navy extending its reach into production on a constant basis) that they neither track or monitor amount of investment required to conduct basic research on systems of systems platforms - eg a tank, let alone developing and making its systems as well, or the challenges faced when trying to source the hardware, which in almost all cases, is run by a cartel. To break the cartel, you have to either pay through your nose (which we don't do), strike political deals constantly (which we have only sometimes done) or hugely invest locally (which we don't do and when we do, it leads to carping like the above).

The amount invested in even basic production infrastructure in specific sectors can run upto a pretty penny, which is where it is particularly hilarious to even see the "indigenous" versus "reinvent the wheel" attacks that are often made on Indian programs. So, if you source components from the international market to keep costs low, and keep development times reasonable - the product is not indigenous (but somehow products like the T-90 always escape criticism versus ones like the Arjun), but if you do develop it, and on a shoestring budget and not given on time (then the obvious delays are because of reinventing the wheel and because xyz is wasteful, stupid, treasonous).

The magic words "accountability", "project management" apparently can overcome any and every challenge, including the fact that we start programs where systems are required (thanks to user requirements based on adversary threat perception) that we don't even know what we don't know.

At the same time, virulent criticism is heaped on these local programs by the users themselves, even without judging the product itself. Take a look at Aroors blog - a protege of Gupta, he was behind those virulent attacks on DRDO and still maintains a snide line against any local program - commenting anon on his blog (his trademark words and phrases make it easy to discern) and who retweets Saraswat's comment on the local BMD being similar to the Patriot3 with a comment from his "army friend" - "so it must mean that it is not very good then".

Unfortunately, the people most hurt by these are not just the developers themselves, but those who get deputed to these organizations, who are already a bit worried often about their career progression (since once outside the traditional command path, now they "belong" to the new agency in practicality) and then also have to deal with such constant snide comments from their peers. This also in turn plays a role when the agency goes looking for talent - fewer armed forces guys will then take up such roles and also fewer young graduates will go to these orgs.

The seniors within the services really need to cut down on such activities, set an example & point out what maintaining such a disaffected, non unified front does.

About the only plus I see in recent years, is the IAF-IA spat, which was becoming more and more nasty and overt seems to have taken a fall (for the better). Otherwise, every other year we'd see one rtd IA guy attacking the AF for not helping out in 62 and not being good enough at Kargil, whereas his IAF counterpart would write back a testy letter and the Pakistanis and Chinese trolls would make hay.

All said and done, things are much better today, than yesteryears. The average officer (and even jawan) coming into service is more tech savvy; he can understand more things about development and even make the transition into R&D, the developers for their part dont sit in ivory towers and actively canvass the users opinions. But things would be ideal when these guys actually sat down and understood the amounts spent in the Scorpene or Gorshkov versus what we spend locally and saw the ROI.

Sorry to use your post for this long-ish ramble, but just had to say that out..:)
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

I did a webcrawl for Indian military HD videos.

Indian Air Force inducting Mi-17 V-5 helicopters

Indian Army Dhruv Helicopters in Action (This seems to be Army Day rehearsal.)

Is Mr. Antony a SPG protectee? I see a couple of guys in suits providing him security in the first video.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Has this documentary been posted here before? It has interviews of many senior people involved. Good re-creation of events.

Watch in HD!
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

Nikhil T wrote:WALK the talk with DRDO Chief

EDIT: First shots of the inside of the new DRDO HQ in Delhi. Very impressive.
did you notice the way the interviewer was trying to push his agenda on Tatra trucks, even our great scientist fell for that trick.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

I am trying to compile videos/picture for all logistical/engineering support vehicles in the IA/IN/IAF. I have been successful in finding a few. There are some I am unable to find. Can you please email me any pictures or video links you might have saved.

I will post here if I need any specifics. As of now I need the Sarvatra system video.

apunka gheemale hai - nikhilzmail hat gheemale dhoti kaam.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Para SF practices a form of Filipino martial arts called "Pekiti Tirsia Kali". Here is an absolutely awesome video demonstrating moves of PTK. Its worth noting that the person in this video also acts a consultant instructor to Para SF. So, a must watch.

Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Misleading tittle but good shots of Prithvi, Su-30MKI and the Hind attack helis.

Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Italian Iveco vs Russian Tigr ( summer trials )

Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^The uploader of that video has editing skills that i only wish I had
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

[youtube]wdxW61TqZmA&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Shivji, but for your recommendation, I was going to avoid that video. I ended up downloading it :)

The sound level has to be lower to really enjoy it.

Also did you notice how Su-30MKI looks much more menacing then even the T-50, as both jump up to the camera level.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Weapons of Victory: Battleships! Episode 16! (English subtitles)

Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Indian peacekeeping operations with UN : Official documentary

Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Akash Missile Salvo and Ripple Firing Trials (Courtesy - Shiv)

Not sure if these are from the recent tests or from before.

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ IIRC, this is pre-induction tests since the latest ones were all test fired from static launchers and not from Tata/Tatra trucks. Not sure why though!!
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Indian Diplomacy video
'Rising over the Oceans' presents the history of the development of the warships of the Indian Navy. Using archival footage the film presents in meticulous details the genesis of the Navy that is intimately linked to the development of ports. Pre- Independence the ports and Navy developed under the British, first as the East India Company and later as the colonial rulers of India. This development also helped the British to become rulers. Post Independence the Navy was able to expand its strength through technology and strategic planning. It then moves to the aircrafts and submarines. The film charts the role of the Navy in the liberation of Goa, and a few other wars from Pakistan to peace keeping in Sri Lanka. And finally the film talks of the role of the Indian Navy during peacetime.
Ganesh_S
BRFite

Post by Ganesh_S »

Last edited by Ganesh_S on 08 Jun 2012 12:57, edited 2 times in total.
Ganesh_S
BRFite

Post by Ganesh_S »

Su 30 MKM high alpha 1:45 onwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2_PvasBcm4
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^ +100000000 Excellent documentary. I have lately noticed how programs and articles in the vernacular news media is turning out to be superior to the ones seen and read in the English news media. I just read a informative (nothing new) and highly objective, proud and positive news article about the indigenous aircraft carrier in the local Malayalam daily. The chances of seeing something like that in the English national dailies (chindu, toilet paper etc.) are slim to none. Sad to see how English news media has degenerated into tabloid journalism/disaster journalism.