If one could depart from the ad hominem school of internet debate and honestly ask if the Army has done a good job of "evolving with the times", we might see some glaring lapses:
1. Supreme court judgement striking down discriminatory policies towards women officers.
2. Failure to phase out the Sahayak system despite this issue having been flagged almost 10 years back by internal studies.
3. Lack of sanction to prosecute or hold GCM in the Pathribal case. (Which is going to be the next egg on the Army's face)
Also, I'd be very careful to insinuate that people who hold the Army to a different standard than most on BR would are "ISI agents" - a man much wiser than us came up with the homily "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels".
1. This is a long debate and a whole thread is dedicated towards it. So, I would prefer not to discuss it here. However, I would urge you to read the following article. Perhaps it would help you to somewhat appreciate the other side's POV.http://www.esamskriti.com/essay-chapter ... cts-1.aspx
2. Army itself has recommended phasing out Sahayak system.http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 976295.cms
3. Pathribal was a joint operation b/n Police & Army. Information was given by Police SSP Farooq Khan. The IA and Police subsequently went there and blew up the house. Who then claimed the success for the operation? SSP Farooq Khan.
After that, when suspicion rose, Police changed blood and DNA samples to be sent for investigation. This is a confirmed fact.
The police SSP and his coterie are still in service.
But CBI chose to conveniently ignore the involvement of its Police brethren and shifted all the blame on Army. I wonder why.
So, the accused Army personnel are guilty. Maybe not. I hope that the IA acts against them if they are guilty. But I refuse to call it a fair procedure when the real culprits (SSP Farooq Khan, his SHO and all other policemen belonging to their coterie) are still in service and beyond scrutiny while the Army Officers are selectively targeted both by media and CBI.
Added Later: BTW, it may very well be that IA gets egg on its face because of Pathribal Encounter. But that does not mean that IA deserves it in this particular case. There is a lot of dirtly politics involved and a lot of strings are being pulled for years.