Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
schowdhuri
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by schowdhuri »

I am used to seeing army vehicles with formation sign. I have noticed vehicles with vajra prahaar written in white on a maroon rectangle background. Any idea what that is?
S_Prasad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S_Prasad »

Dont know if previously posted , but ....can somebody talk more about BM 21 and tata 6x6 in IA ? do we license produce them?
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

can somebody please tell me in what role our arjun tanks are used and where they are deployed? i just saw a video of ex. shoorvir and only t90 was there.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

the helmet worn by the NP-1 pilot in this video. is this one with the helmet-mounted cueing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkc3mkgARU

Edit: Had posted the wrong URL earlier by mistake.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^We can only see the helmet from the back, but it does look like the DASH helmet.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

adityadange wrote:can somebody please tell me in what role our arjun tanks are used and where they are deployed? i just saw a video of ex. shoorvir and only t90 was there.
Currently they are deployed only at Republic day parades. :roll:
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

nachiket wrote:^^We can only see the helmet from the back, but it does look like the DASH helmet.
the elevated section visible at the back of the helmet triggered the query. other helmets [white & grey] seem to have a smooth, non-elevated surface

like this for ex
http://kedar.smugmug.com/Miscellanous/S ... fZ2Y-M.jpg
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

S_Prasad wrote:Dont know if previously posted , but ....can somebody talk more about BM 21 and tata 6x6 in IA ? do we license produce them?
Thanks for the link. Our BM-21 were based on the Russian vehicle - I'm seeing TATA Mounted BM-21 for the first time. We have grand total of 5 BM-21 Regiments. I really pray and hope that given the TATA involvement in Pinaka project, somebody might have thought to bolster Rocket Artillery by inducting more BM-21 systems based on TATA Trucks. We can have a nice mix of BM-21/Pinaka/Smerch...and BM-21 should be cheap as well..may be, these will see light of the day with Infantry Divisions. Oh! well...one can dream... :P
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

There is a new book, called The Meadow by Adrian Levy and Cathy-Scott Clark. It is about the Al Faran kidnappings. I haven't read the full book, but there is a review of the same, published in today's HT. The book contends that the hostages were executed by a 'counter insurgent' called Alpha/Nabi Azad, who worked with J&K Police and RR. This is the link for that review, which in itself, is quite informative

http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
skher
BRFite

Post by skher »

good night, and good luck.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

This has the potential of becoming a big problem for the armed forces.

Defence ministry to relax century-old land laws

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/252 ... y-old.html
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

one question...
when it is said a missile or plane is nuclear capable what exactly the difference is? what is exact difference between carrying conventional payload and nuclear one? what are the design and structural changes required to carry/drop nuclear bomb over conventional bomb?
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

For one, it is preferred to be hard wired for critical systems. The Aircraft Bomb bays IMO can be designed to drop only certain types of munitions.
As far as the missile goes, it is a belief based system and the presence of warheads of these specified systems will be a give away.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

koti wrote:For one, it is preferred to be hard wired for critical systems. The Aircraft Bomb bays IMO can be designed to drop only certain types of munitions.
As far as the missile goes, it is a belief based system and the presence of warheads of these specified systems will be a give away.
Saar what exactly does that mean ? Can you explain in mango people language.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

^^^ Yes, I didn't understand either.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Neither can I anymore.
Please ignore it.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Answering this (http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 6#p1293836) Question.
Vishal Jolapara wrote:Image
krishnan wrote:In the first picture ^ ...it has a thin wire like thing going from near the cockpit to the tail...wonder what it is...i have never seen it in any other A/C
Answer:
http://www.scribd.com/Charlie_November/ ... ratotanker
There are two UHF blade antennas mounted above the forward fuselage and a probe antenna for high frequency communications is mounted on the leading edge of the upperfin.
An HF wire aerial runs from the fin to the top of the fuselage and antennas for the VOR radio navigation system and the AN/APN-69 radar beacon are built into the fin.
http://www.scribd.com/Charlie_November/ ... ratotanker
Image Image

(Among other a/cs) Even older 737 have it, here's My Photo of an Alliance Air 732 showing 2 such wires over the fuselage.

member_19648
BRFite

Post by member_19648 »

I have a question, hope to find the correct answer here. I was going through some archival docs on Kargil war and it seems that the Pakis are still holding on to some strategic posts in Kargil region including Point no 5353. Is this true? What are the implications for India in case of future conflicts as I guess the peaks do provide a view of the National highway? Why were they not taken back? Personally, I believe that India has regained all that she lost in Kargil war. I particularly appreciate the analysis rohitvats brings into queries, help in this regard would be appreciated.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

Ivanev wrote:I have a question, hope to find the correct answer here. I was going through some archival docs on Kargil war and it seems that the Pakis are still holding on to some strategic posts in Kargil region including Point no 5353. Is this true? What are the implications for India in case of future conflicts as I guess the peaks do provide a view of the National highway? Why were they not taken back? Personally, I believe that India has regained all that she lost in Kargil war. I particularly appreciate the analysis rohitvats brings into queries, help in this regard would be appreciated.
Ivanev,

i am posting in full the 2 reports wrt your point. am not sure if these have been posted before. hope admins allow this.

how significant the peak is, will definitely be well explained by RV - but there is a lot of confusion regarding the point 5353 as you can note in the following reports by praveen swami. OTOH pakistan army contends it can disrupt the Kargil - Drass route as it directly overlooks the road - being the highest peak in the Drass area.
Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004

Commander ordered capture of Point 5353 in Kargil war

By Praveen Swami

NEW DELHI, JUNE 29 . Indian soldiers had attempted to capture Point 5353, a strategically-important peak in the Dras sector, in the first days of the Kargil war. New evidence that such an assault took place blows apart contradictory claims by the former Defence Minister, George Fernandes, and top military officials that the feature does not lie on the Indian side of the Line of Control.

An investigation by The Hindu has gained access to orders issued to Major Navneet Mehra of the 16 Grenadiers Regiment, ordering him to lead an assault on Point 5353, so named for its altitude in metres. It is the highest feature in the Dras sector, and allows the Pakistani troops to observe National Highway 1A, as well as an alternative Dras-Kargil route that is now under construction.

Major Mehra's men were asked to evict the Pakistani intruders on Point 5353 by 6 a.m. on May 18, 1999. The officer's plan was to set up three fire bases along the base of the peak to support the infantry assault by two groups.

Although backed by some artillery, both groups faced a difficult climb, under direct fire from both the Pakistani positions on Point 5353 and Point 5165.

However, Major Mehra's despatches note, his commanding officer, Col. Pushpinder Oberoi, gave specific orders "to go for it at any cost." Col. Oberoi's troops failed to execute his instructions. Ill-equipped for the extreme cold, and not properly acclimatised to the altitude, the troops withdrew after suffering 13 casualties. The attack was finally called off at 3 a.m. on May 19, 1999.

After news broke that the Pakistani troops occupied Point 5353, the Indian Army denied that the peak had ever been held by India, or, indeed, was on its side of the LoC. A press release issued on August 11, 2000, asserted that the "point was never under our control either before or after Operation Vijay in Kargil." Mr. Fernandes seemed to disagree. Asked about the status of Point 5353 at a subsequent press conference, he insisted that "every inch of the land is under our control."

Mr. Fernandes' subsequent statements added to the confusion. Speaking to an audience in Mumbai, he said "Point 5353 is the point over which the LoC goes. Fact is, our troops had never occupied that."

However, on January 1, 2001, the Press Information Bureau issued a photograph of Mr. Fernandes standing on what it claimed was Point 5353. Later, the PIB was forced to sack a junior staffer for "an administrative error."

War-time media reports, based on Army briefings, suggest that further efforts to take the peak were made from July 21, 1999, well after the fighting had officially ended. While these efforts were unsuccessful, the available evidence suggests that then-56 Brigade Commander Amar Aul responded by occupying two heights on the Pakistani side of the LoC, 4875 and 4251.

sSubsequently, the local commanders hammered out a deal, where both agreed to leave points 5353, 5240, 4251 and 4875 unoccupied.

Towards October-end, for reasons still not clear, the 16 Grenadiers were ordered to take Point 5240 and the 1-3 Gurkha Rifles Point 5353. While the 16 Grenadiers' attack proceeded as planned, despite bad weather, the 1-3 Gurkha Rifles, for reasons still not clear, never made their way up to Point 5353. When the Pakistani troops detected the Indian presence on 5240, they promptly reoccupied Point 5353.

Interestingly, however, the 16 Grenadiers' records on the Point 5353 assault refer to Point 5353 as "a minor objective." So too, do entries in Col. Oberoi's confidential service records. This assessment was vindicated during the artillery clashes in 2001-2002, when the Pakistani observation posts on Point 5353 were unable to bring accurate fire to bear on either the highway or nearby Indian positions. The Indian troops were able to tie down the Pakistani position with accurate fire, rendering it near-impossible for its superior altitude to be used to good effect.

Correction

The height of Tiger Hill is 4,660 metres (i.e., Point 4660), not 4,165 metres as reported in these columns on Tuesday.

http://www.hindu.com/2004/06/30/stories ... 391100.htm
TERRITORY

Volume 17 - Issue 20, Sep. 30 - Oct. 13, 2000

Fact and fiction on Point 5353

The defence establishment's response to the controversy over Point 5353 plumbs new depths.

PRAVEEN SWAMI

IN August, news broke that Pakistan holds one of the most important mountain features in the Drass Sector, Point 5353-metres. Since then, there has been a welter of fresh revelations, the most important of them being lawyer and Rajya Sabha MP R.K. Anand' s disclosure that five other positions on the Indian side of the Line of Control (LoC) are held by Pakistan. Anand also made public Army's internal correspondence on the causes of the debacle over Point 5353. The revelations did not lead to a considered rebuttal, but generated a wave of hostile official polemic, often through pro-establishment journalists. One so-called security affairs expert charged that the revelations were part of a Pakistani intelligence plot to generate a "divisive debate" in Indi a.

Addressing an audience of businessmen in Mumbai in early August, Union Defence Minister George Fernandes put forward the sole cogent official response to the revelations about Point 5353. "5353," he said, "is the point over which the LoC goes. The fact i s, our troops had never occupied that. The normal practice among them has been that where the line goes over a peak, then nobody occupies it." The Minister then proceeded to assault what he perceived to be irresponsible media organisations, much to the d elight of the assembled Mumbai businesspersons, many of whom have had their own skirmishes with reporters. But an analysis of Fernandes' statement shows not only little concern for fact, but an alarming willingness to use falsehood to ensure that his cho sen team in the defence establishment can continue to be incompetent with impunity.

"5353 is the point over which the LoC goes"

Assertions that the LoC is imprecisely defined on the ground, and that the territorial status of Point 5353 is therefore unclear, have formed the central component of official discourse on the controversy. A few hours spent poring over old newspapers are all that it takes to set the record straight. Sadly, few of the many commentators who have engaged with the revelations made in Frontline and other publications on the status of Point 5353 have seen it fit to make the effort.

During the Kargil war, Pakistan had put forward claims that the LoC was undefined on the ground, and that its territorial contours were imprecise. An irate spokesman of the Union Ministry of External Affairs responded on June 19, 1999. "The LoC is well d efined and delineated," he said, "and is the very cornerstone of Indo-Pakistan relations." Pointing out that detailed co-ordinates of the LoC were given in 19 annexures to the agreement of December 11, 1972, arrived at between Lieutenant-General Abdul Ha mid Khan and Lieutenant-General P.S. Bhagat, the spokesman added that "so far as the de jure position is concerned, there are no doubts."

Speaking in New Delhi on June 23, 1999, his first press conference after military operations began in Kargil, Chief of the Army Staff V.P. Malik was even more explicit. "In today's display," he said after a formal presentation, "we have also given you de tails of the LoC; its delineation; how it was delineated." "With marked maps, a military man without a GPS (Global Positioning System) can make an error of a few hundred metres on the ground, but an error of 8 to 9 kilometres is unimaginable."

No one appeared to be in any doubt about just where Point 5353 was during the Kargil war itself. The Press Trust of India (PTI) put out official responses to Pakistan claims that Point 5353 was on its side of the LoC on July 28, 1999. "The maps signed by the Indian and Pakistani DGMOs (Directors General of Military Operations) in 1972 clearly indicate that it belongs to India," the PTI despatch noted. On July 30, a PTI depatch repeated the assertion in a report on fighting around Point 5353: "In this se ctor, Pakistan claims some mountains to be a part of this territory whereas the maps signed between the Directors General of Military Operations in December 1972, are contrary to this claim."

Maps published in Frontline, and also separate documents made available to the press by Anand, both make clear that Point 5353 is at an aerial distance of almost a kilometre from the LoC on the Indian side. On the ground, that would mean a trek of several kilometres, given the terrain's savage contours. How what was "well defined" and "well delineated" only a year ago has now become so confused is a question only the defence establishment's apologists can answer.

"Where the line goes over a peak, nobody occupies it"

Leaving aside the so far undenied fact that Pakistan is indeed in occupation of Point 5353, this second element of Fernandes' argument raises more than a few interesting issues. Right through the Kargil war, Indian officials made clear that the fight for Point 5353 had been joined. But that fight would have served little purpose had the strategically located peak not fallen inside Indian territory.

Northern Command chief H.M. Khanna announced in Srinagar on July 21, 1999 that while the bulk of the Pakistan intrusion had been vacated, "some 50 to 70 intruders still held three positions along the LoC in Kargil". Two days later, The Tribune, ci ting official reports, noted that "fierce fighting was on in Batalik and Kaksar sub-sectors as the Indian troops launched operations to evict the intruders from the three pockets they were holding." "Fighting," the report noted, "was under way at Point 5 353 in Drass, Muntho Dhalo and Shangruti Ridge in Batalik, and also at a position in Kaksar." These are much the same areas as Anand referred to in his press conference.

Nothing much changed over the next few days. On July 24, The Tribune again reported that "Pakistani intruders continued to hold their position in the small pockets of intrusion". The same day, the Asian Age's special correspondents in New D elhi and Srinagar quoted Union Defence Minister George Fernandes as saying that "a very few Pakistani soldiers are occupying one point each in Drass. Batalik and Mushkoh." "These points," he insisted, "will be cleared at any time." Officials did their be st to prove their Minister right, announcing both on July 25 and July 26, 1999 that the last of the intrusions had been cleared.

Fernandes and Lieutenant-General Nirmal Vij, the Director-General of Military Operations (DGMO), were, in fact, being economical with the truth. On July 28, PTI reported that fighting continued in several areas. One soldier was killed in shelling in the Batalik area while another died in the Muntho Dalo area. The Pakistan Army, PTI recorded, "also launched a counter-attack on Sando Top and Zulu Spur." The Zulu Spur forms the junction of ridges from the Mushkoh Valley and the Marpo La area. Most importan t of all, PTI noted that "in Mushkoh sub-sector of Drass both sides exchanged small arms fire around Point 5353". What Indian troops were doing there if the peak is not on the Indian side of the LoC remains a mystery - particularly if, as the Army's publ ic relations staff insist, the peak is of little strategic significance and poses no real threat to National Highway 1A.

Pakistan, which now denies that it holds any territory on the Indian side of the LoC, clearly understood the gains it had made. On July 26, even as officials in New Delhi announced that the last Pakistani intruder had been evicted from the Indian side of the LoC, the Pakistan Army's Brigadier Rashid Qureshi made a significant, but little noticed, statement. The Pakistani newspaper Dawn reported that "contrary to Indian claims, the Pakistan Army is still holding some strategic heights along the Li ne of Control and can effectively tackle any Indian attack." "We are in a position to target Indian vehicles on the Kargil-Drass road," it quoted Qureshi as saying.

But in the triumphal glow provoked by the end of Operation Vijay, news regarding Point 5353 disappeared from the press. No reportage on the fighting in the area appeared after the PTI report of July 28. A similar fate befell operations in the Batalik are a. On July 9, Army spokesperson Bikram Singh announced that "valiant Gorkha Rifles soldiers, who had recaptured Khalobar and Point 5287, regained point 4821 and Kukerthang". "The gallant Bihar regiment," he continued, "took control of the Tharu hills in an overnight operation." "Now," he concluded, "only one or two pockets where the intruders are giving resistance are left to be recaptured." Nothing about those pockets, which included the Shangruti feature on the LoC, was heard of again.

"Fact is, our troops had never occupied that"

The argument that Point 5353 was never held by India has been regularly used by the Army public relations apparatus to rebut the charge that operational incompetence and strategic errors led to its occupation by Pakistan during the Kargil war. The claim is, in fact, true. India did not hold Point 5353 before the war broke out. What has not been reported widely is that this statement of fact rebuts nothing, for no one ever claimed that the peak was physically held by India before the war. Indeed, reports that appeared in Frontline and Business Line made quite clear that the peak was not held by either side in the build-up to the conflict.

Point 5353, along with the features around it, was occupied by the Pakistani troops at the start of the Kargil war. When the hostilities ended, the Indian troops had succeeded only in taking back Charlie 6 and Charlier 7, two secondary positions on the M arpo La ridgeline. The Indian troops had also been unable to evict Pakistani soldiers from Point 5240, some 1,200 metres from Point 5353 as the crow flies. Amar Aul, the 56 Brigade Commander in charge of the operations to secure Point 5353, responded by occupying two heights on the Pakistani side of the LoC, 4875 and 4251, just before the ceasefire came into force.

Aul later tried to use these two heights to bring about a territorial exchange. In mid-August 1999, his efforts bore fruit, and both sides committed themselves to leave Points 5353, 5240, 4251 and 4875 unoccupied. Indian and Pakistani troops pulled back to their pre-Kargil position as part of a larger agreement between their respective DGMOs. In October that year, however, the deal broke down. Aul tasked the 16 Grenadiers to take Point 5240 and the 1/3 Gorkha Rifles to occupy Point 5353, choosing to vio late the August agreement rather than risk a Pakistani reoccupation of these positions. The operation was mishandled, and when the Pakistani troops detected the Indian presence on 5240, they promptly launched a counter-assault on Point 5353.

Pakistan rapidly consolidated its position on 5353 after the abortive Indian offensive. Concrete bunkers came up on the peak, and a road was constructed to the base of the peak of Benazir Post. And with Point 5353 and its adjoining area now linked by roa d to Pakistan's rear headquarters at Gultari, any attack will lead to a full-blown resumption of hostilities. No official from the Army or the Defence Ministry has, until the third week of September, denied this sequence of events.

Nor has a denial been made of significant new revelations made by Anand. Anand made available the correspondence between Captain Navneet Mehta, who led an unsuccessful attack on Peak 5353 in May 1999. The correspondence outlines the errors that led to th is debacle. Aul has not been called to account for his actions. Nor has the Army denied or accepted this highly decorated solider's part in the debacle. Neither have his superiors seen it fit to explain why Pakistan was left in possession of the peak, an d why the subsequent exchange-deal was terminated to India's evident disadvantage. Most significant, Anand's claim that Point 5353 was indeed held by India in 1992-1993, successfully cutting off Pakistani supply routes, has not been rebutted.

In the wake of Anand's intervention on the 5353 debate, General Malik has chosen to distance himself from the entire controversy. At an August 31 press conference, held to inaugurate the Army Wives Welfare Association's website, Malik said the issue had now entered the "political domain." "We are going through his statement," Malik said. "We have the answer, but let the government react." Coming from an Army chief who allowed his officers to brief the Bharatiya Janata Party on the conduct of the Kargil war, and permitted his soldiers to host a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh-organised religious function in Leh, the new disdain for politics is interesting.

The worrying lack of answers about Point 5353 is not the only problematical aspect of the affair. Many of the Army's responses to Point 5353 stories were put out not through attributable statements, for which officials could later be held accountable, bu t through off-the-record briefings held behind closed doors. In effect, a section of the media allowed itself to be used as the public relations wing of an incompetent defence apparatus. One Calcutta-based daily even apologised for the unpardonable sin o f having failed to censor Anand's press conference on behalf of the defence establishment.

India's defence establishment and much of the press have chosen to hide from uncomfortable truth. But the silence does no one any favours, least of all the soldiers who could one day have to pay again with their lives for the failures of the Kargil war.

http://www.flonnet.com/fl1720/17200340.htm
a video by newsx -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx4Ra2kM ... r_embedded
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Would someone kindly explain the advantages of formation flight of, say, the Tejas from a military point of view?
member_19648
BRFite

Post by member_19648 »

pragnya wrote: Ivanev,

i am posting in full the 2 reports wrt your point. am not sure if these have been posted before. hope admins allow this.

how significant the peak is, will definitely be well explained by RV - but there is a lot of confusion regarding the point 5353 as you can note in the following reports by praveen swami. OTOH pakistan army contends it can disrupt the Kargil - Drass route as it directly overlooks the road - being the highest peak in the Drass area.
Thanks Pragnya for the info! Will try to gather some more details about it from my end.
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

PratikDas wrote:Would someone kindly explain the advantages of formation flight of, say, the Tejas from a military point of view?
Pratik:

Formation flight is practiced by Air Forces to
  • a. Create a concentration of fire power.
    b. Provide mutual support in observation and defensive maneuver.
    c. Decongest circuit flying by taking off or landing in an orderly group.
Formation flight thus has significant tactical advantage. However, it does not reduce consumption of fuel. As a matter of fact, consumption of fuel for members of a formation flight is normally higher than the fuel consumed by the leader.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

what effect, if any does it have on radar signature ?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Abhibhushan wrote: However, it does not reduce consumption of fuel. As a matter of fact, consumption of fuel for members of a formation flight is normally higher than the fuel consumed by the leader.
What is the reason behind this observed phenomenon?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote:
Abhibhushan wrote: However, it does not reduce consumption of fuel. As a matter of fact, consumption of fuel for members of a formation flight is normally higher than the fuel consumed by the leader.
What is the reason behind this observed phenomenon?
I suspect that this is because the formation has to match the movements of the leader and need to correct course more often than the leader. I was wondering if someone was thinking of formation flying by migrating birds in which it is claimed that energy expenditure by those at the back is lower than the leading bird. But birds probably sense resistance and turbulence and do not practice strict formation flying.

Just a guess.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Makes sense also may be the rest of the guys in the formation also have to contend with the turbulent flow from the wings and tailpipe of the leader .
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Thank you, Abhibhushan ji, Shiv ji and others.

Yes, the thought of reduced fuel consumption was motivated by formation flight in birds.

I do wonder if the radar signature appears as one target if the jets fly close enough to each other. It would certainly help spring a surprise when the formation breaks and multiple targets appear on screen. Perhaps modern high-frequency radars negate that possibility, leaving Hollywood to its imaginations.
abhishekgoel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishekgoel »

While browsing I found an article detailing on the vulnerabilities of surface ships in a navy.

www.johntreed.com/sittingducks.html

In the light of this article I want to know the role of aircraft carriers and other ships in Indian navy.

Are the surface ships really the sitting ducks?
Is surface ships' role mostly confined to ragtag navies?
Whats the doctrine and strategy of Indian navy?
Whom do they consider major adversary and whats there strategy to counter it?
Has Indian navy (being more dependent on surface ships) made a strategical error?

If this has been posted before kindly paste the relevant links
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

utter garbage article. if that's the thinking standard of a WP graduate that place needs serious upgradation.
member_23625
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23625 »

Casper here, one more newbie!
Just wanted to say hi to all on this board. :)

This place is very informative.
Thank you so much for all the hard work.

Regards.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KWmc_TrqbTA/T ... 00/as1.jpg

Is this the user interface of IFF ? What is that Ethernet port ?
adityadange
BRFite

Post by adityadange »

jamwal wrote:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KWmc_TrqbTA/T ... 00/as1.jpg

Is this the user interface of IFF ? What is that Ethernet port ?
Ehternet is an iEEE standard for computer networking. Most of the computers today use ethernet as low level protocol. It is able to provide data transfer speed upto several Gbps based on physical cable you are using.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

adityadange wrote:
Ehternet is an iEEE standard for computer networking. Most of the computers today use ethernet as low level protocol. It is able to provide data transfer speed upto several Gbps based on physical cable you are using.
I'm pretty sure Jamwal knows what an ethernet port is. Did you have a look at the port which is labelled "ethernet" in that picture? That will give you an idea why Jamwal was confused.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

^^ Well that ain't the standard RJ45 connector there, for sure.. Wonder why it needs such a heavy duty connector???
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

The question and the answers are valid. It looks like a Mil stds compliant ethernet port, like the ones in this switch... http://www.ruggedcom.com/products/ruggedswitch/m969/

It could be any communication device, including IFF.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Thanks for the replies. It's indeed an ethernet port but of military specifications. I guess that the delicate plastic jacks aren't good enough for military use
member_23630
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23630 »

Just joined BRF after being a long time lurker. Looking forward to the forums.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Are there instances where the IN/AF operated aircraft from roads? Came across this gentleman's linkedin profile
Commanded operational missions for Ops Pawan (Sri Lanka Ops) from Ramnad, Tamilnadu.
Instrumental in the first ever landing of Islander aircraft from paved surface at Ramnad.
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/kundukishore

What is this paved surface being referred to? Ramand already had INS Parundu since long before Pawan. There couldn't have been anything first about taking off from there or landing there

Perhaps, scales of operation during Pawan meant the airstrip was inadequate to handle all flights, and so the Islanders were operated from designated roads. Coudn't find anything more though.
member_23626
BRFite

Post by member_23626 »

Hello,

Very happy to be a part of this esteemed forum... I would try my best to bring valuable contributions to this forums

Regards,

Sridhar.E
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

A spotter friend showed me a Recent photo of an IAF MiG 27 @ BOM (Navy Hanger).
What the Hell is that doing here?

Another source in the airport says it takes-off in the night & returns.

Some :idea: Enlightenment will be most welcome.