Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Mort Walker »

Android head Andy Rubin calls the lack of LTE a "tactical issue," and cites cost and battery life as major concerns with devices that have to support multiple radios. "A lot of the networks that have deployed LTE haven't scaled completely yet — they're hybrid networks [...] which means the devices need both radios built into them," he said. "When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn't a great user experience." But the reality now is that many LTE devices — including the iPhone 5 and the LG Optimus G, which shares common hardware with the Nexus 4 — use larger batteries and newer, more efficient chips to balance the power draw from LTE.
Why the Nexus 4 Doesn't Have LTE

IMHO, I think it was done so that GOOG doesn't hurt the sale of other Android phones with the low price point of the Nexus 4. LTE is being steadily rolled out in the US and EU. However, there may be some truth to what Rubin is saying. The LTE bands are from 700 MHz to 2600 MHz worldwide and to put this all in one device with a single chipset using the same VCO (voltage controlled oscillator) and antennas may be technically difficult (battery life) and expensive at this point in time. A year from now may be a different story.

The real question is if the Nexus 4 will support HSPA+42 that some carriers do have. TMO in the US has it and I can get 18 Mbps down on some devices.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Mort Walker wrote: The real question is if the Nexus 4 will support HSPA+42 that some carriers do have. TMO in the US has it and I can get 18 Mbps down on some devices.
Specs on wiki seem to suggest so.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

GSM Arena says LG Nexus 4 E960 supports HSPA+ 21Mbps only.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Marten wrote:Mw, sure it does. Waiting for Airtel 4g specs now. Would be awesome, even with 8gb. I can access drives over wifi both at home and work. And apps wise, if one is not a gamer, and does not insist on carrying the entire music or movie collection on the device, it'll do just fine... ESP at that price.

On my GNex running 4.1.2 which is rated for 16 GB storage, I have 13.33 GB space available, but most (8 GB) of it being used. That means 2.67 GB is used for the OS. An 8 GB Nexus 4 would then have 5.33 GB available. The app which takes the most space for me is Google Play Music, which is synced to my iTunes account. I could probably reduce it too if I didn't decide to store the actual music on my phone. Most popular apps are only a few megabytes. Games like Angry Birds are 25-50 MB each. I think the 8 GB version will work just fine for Nexus 4 with just a few games and exclude the music collection.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

having 2GB RAM and a quad core processor faster than SIII really seals the deal. Doesn't it ? Who is now going to spend big bucks on a SIII or i5
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Google just updated their page on the Nexus 4 to indicate HSPA+42. This is a great development. Now I'm going for it whole hog.
Network
Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
HSPA+ 42

https://play.google.com/store/devices/d ... xus_4_16gb
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Mort saar, is it possible to save the Nexus 4 specs like on a pdf and provide a link (or post the entire content here)? Nexus 4 specs can't be accessed from desh at the moment. I am interested to find out what kind of sim is required. If its microsim, is it available in desh now? There are rumors of Nexus 4 arriving in India by end of Nov. Even if its priced at mid-20k, buying 16GB version from US is cheaper ($350 x 53 = Rs.18.5 INR :) ). Probably can use the savings on buying accessories like solid case cover etc.

Great news on HSPA+ 42...very happy!
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Marten, I was thinking about nano-SIM the iph 5 needs. I doubt very much Nexus 4 using the same.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ What is nano sim ? You mean the actual circuit board itself has been reduced in size ?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

There is SIM that is standard, micro SIM that is in the S3, iPhone 4/4s and Nexus 4, and nano SIM that is in the iPhone 5.

You can cut a regular SIM to make it fit in a micro SIM slot, but micro SIM is becoming more common in many newer smart phones. You can not cut a regular SIM to make it fit in a nano SIM slot.

Google is changing its Play Store pages several times a day, just check back a couple of times a day.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

negi wrote:^ What is nano sim ? You mean the actual circuit board itself has been reduced in size ?
Yes.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

That's interesting because what it means is people cannot get an unlocked iphone5 in India from outside as nano sims are not available here. Airtel and likes are still testing the samples.
Last edited by negi on 31 Oct 2012 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Marten, no prob. I should have been clear. Thx anyways. I guess we'll find out more about Nexus 4 if & when its released in desh :)
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Didn't an LG executive state that India would get the Nexus 4 at the end of November? I would hope Google opens the Play Store for India that includes devices.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

negi wrote:That's interesting because what it means is people cannot get an unlocked iphone5 in India from outside as nano sims are not available here. Airtel and likes are still testing the samples.
There is stuff mentioned on internet where the sim (micro or mini) could be converted into nano - by a cutting method paring off unused contacts at the edge of the sim circuit. So it looks possible but better done by an expert in cell shop rather than as a DIY thingy.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

For someone in India, I would guess the Nexus 4 is a better option than the SGS3? If one were to overlook the sd card slot absence. I don't think they're rolling out 4g/lte in India are they? Much cheaper option too.
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

What do people think about the Sony Xperia ION LTE? They got rid of Ericsson
It comes with Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0, Large 720p screen, HD recording and 12 MP camera

Sony was stupid enough to launch it with gingerbread but, now it ships with IC 4.0
I think its a worthy competitor to Sammy...
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

^^^ from the looks of it battery and ram seems to be weak - especially 1gb ram may not cut it for a phone selling in 2012 - if one is heavy on apps usage and multitasking.
Go for lg nexus if not bothered about lack of lte - lack of storage memory can be partly supplanted by using an 64gb USB drive with phone on otg imo. But mine is a vfm pov.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

anishns wrote:What do people think about the Sony Xperia ION LTE? They got rid of Ericsson
It comes with Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0, Large 720p screen, HD recording and 12 MP camera

Sony was stupid enough to launch it with gingerbread but, now it ships with IC 4.0
I think its a worthy competitor to Sammy...
My exp with latest Sony phones has been very good....1GB RAM should be enough to take care of most of the stuff....the UI interface is good and responsive.....even on the Sony Experia Mini Pro that we have in the family, the surfing is excellent...the pages load real fast.......and i can play most of the games with ease.....IMO, apart from RAM what will matternis the processor....dual core ones will allow u to exploit a smart phone to fullest
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Prasad wrote:For someone in India, I would guess the Nexus 4 is a better option than the SGS3? If one were to overlook the sd card slot absence. I don't think they're rolling out 4g/lte in India are they? Much cheaper option too.
The SGS3 International version, which is sold in India, doesn't support LTE anyway. And the Nexus 4 should be priced much lower than the SGS3.

BTW, Airtel does have an LTE network in India. But nobody else seems interested in it.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

India main...who has experience with both nokia lumia navigation and android navigation??? which one ? Apparently Nokia navteq is king here, with offline maps and all. When I tried it out in real life, it locked on instantly to the GPS, gave good navigation and all.

Problem is the windows platform....and the silly tiles. I may just buy it because of the navigation.

Lumia 700 prolly, at 15,000 INR. Good balance between 800 - 22000 INR and the 600 - 12000 INR.

Comments???
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^I have LUMIA 800...bought it couple of weeks back.

I am pretty happy with the phone and as you said, the Nokia map network rocks. Having said that, I also have Samsung Tab 2 and the map on this device is equally amazing...in fact, today, I traveled from Gurgaon to a Rohtak ( ~100 kms NW from Gurgaon) using the map feature on Samsung Tab 2 and managed to navigate across the entire city using the map itself. I my line of work, the map feature is very important and its works wonderfully well on both LUMIA and Samsung. Before LUMIA, I had Nokia N8 and have use the Drive function quite extensively on it and it has never let down. However, the Drive application on my LUMIA 800 seems to be having some problem and does not latch on to GPS signal while the map application does instantly.

The biggest draw back on LUMIA 800 is battery life...mine does not last even one day (and too working hours only)...I don't know if this is due to some issue with the battery or is a phone drawback.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Marten wrote:
Prasad wrote:For someone in India, I would guess the Nexus 4 is a better option than the SGS3? If one were to overlook the sd card slot absence. I don't think they're rolling out 4g/lte in India are they? Much cheaper option too.
LTE band in the US is 700? Won't work in India, so lack of it is not a problem. Hspa+ is the STD here i think.

Looking to get nexus 4 and 7 instead of icrapatdoubleprices.
hallo? so does this mean that the Galaxy SII Skyrocket which I fondly got from the US when I R2I'd will not work with 4G network in India when 4G comes to my neck of the woods?
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

mahadevbhu wrote:India main...who has experience with both nokia lumia navigation and android navigation??? which one ? Apparently Nokia navteq is king here, with offline maps and all. When I tried it out in real life, it locked on instantly to the GPS, gave good navigation and all.

Problem is the windows platform....and the silly tiles. I may just buy it because of the navigation.

Lumia 700 prolly, at 15,000 INR. Good balance between 800 - 22000 INR and the 600 - 12000 INR.

Comments???
Lumia 800 is now down to 17k-18k INR. Go for it if non-upgradability to WP8 is not a deal breaker.
Esp. for AppHippies, MS is promising that with WP8, 46 out of top 50 mobile apps (overall, across all mobile platforms) would be available.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

archan wrote:hallo? so does this mean that the Galaxy SII Skyrocket which I fondly got from the US when I R2I'd will not work with 4G network in India when 4G comes to my neck of the woods?
Is Indian 4G network a true 4G network?

Or is it like the US where the carriers couldn't meet the actual 4G standard, so they downgraded the standard and the marketing guys proclaimed all iz vell onlee?
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

4G in India? surely that is many more years away. I am still waiting for 3G outside tier I areas.
Manish Jain
BRFite

Post by Manish Jain »

Maulanas, my old samsung has gone kaput and now I'm in market for a new phone. So, I need advice.

My requirements are normal calls, maps, office mails, web surfing, good camera (essential), good games and general robustness of device. I've had bad experience with Samsung touchscreens so I may go for Nokia this time. I don't have to worry about the 4G etc as I'll mostly be using WiFi.

The budget is 25K max, so should I go for Lumia line (820?) or wait for Nexus 4?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I am planning to go with W8 Lumina 820 and also Surface Tablet (when the W8 pro) is released.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

Good camera? Check out the Nokia 808.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

^^^ I believe there is a trial in Pune by Bharati Airtel for 4G.

I still do not understand the fascination with 4G that people have. Assuming you have a decent HSDPA network, for mobile uses, it is good enough and the extra bump in LTE is hardly noticeable. In any case you are going to hit the data caps much sooner...
4G does not do voice yet, it is still CSFB, and IMS voice is still 6-7 months away.... That will be the thing to have in my opinion, will open up the field for new features
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Manish Jain wrote:Maulanas, my old samsung has gone kaput and now I'm in market for a new phone. So, I need advice.

My requirements are normal calls, maps, office mails, web surfing, good camera (essential), good games and general robustness of device. I've had bad experience with Samsung touchscreens so I may go for Nokia this time. I don't have to worry about the 4G etc as I'll mostly be using WiFi.

The budget is 25K max, so should I go for Lumia line (820?) or wait for Nexus 4?
Nexus 4 is fantastic. You should wait for it to make a decision.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^Will it be released in India? The Galaxy Nexus was never released in India AFAIK. Although that might have been Sammy's doing to ensure the GS2 and GS3 sell more.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Muppalla wrote:I am planning to go with W8 Lumina 820 and also Surface Tablet (when the W8 pro) is released.
You are man after mybown heart.....i have LUMIA 800 and may just sell it and upgrade to 820..
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

rohitvats wrote:
Muppalla wrote:I am planning to go with W8 Lumina 820 and also Surface Tablet (when the W8 pro) is released.
You are man after mybown heart.....i have LUMIA 800 and may just sell it and upgrade to 820..
Why 820 and not 8x ? Because of Nokia exclusive apps ?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Yawn.. Phruit looking to dump intel and put own chips on the mac

All of course in the pursuit of "Apple’s push to make products thinner and smaller without sacrificing performance.". So Phruit co's aim to sell brushed sheets of aluminium while other sell bricks go on.

As goes Phruit, so does Mickey in future ? Intel seems to be the pansy. Intel ka kya hoga?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Ah Major Butt's Goat had it's droppings of wisdom on the new iPad and iPhone and the excruciating dilemmas it has created for the RAPE.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

If I were Intel I would buy ARM , err. wait actually so can Apple. :)

On related front for past couple of years I have been reading about folks at IBM research in NY working on new ways to reduce the size of the transistors and iirc a few days back they had reported significant breakthrough in that area, however it is hard to tell if it will make it to the field.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

anmol wrote:Why 820 and not 8x ? Because of Nokia exclusive apps ?
Pardon the ignorance but does 8X means a phone (other than Nokia) running on W8 platform? If that is what it means, well, I'm partial to NOKIA...N8 has left a lasting impression (plus, the other NOKIA phones that I had)...and I do like NOKIA Apps. From my limited experience on my current phone...Apps coming from OEM to support their own phone are more stable and there is assured stream of updates to apps as well as new apps.

I like my LUMIA 800 with Window 7.5 but IMO, a smart today needs 1GB RAM and dualc-core processor to do justice to the kind of games available...from what I read, LUMIA 820 will come with Snapdragon Dual Core 1.5 GHz processor and 1GB RAM.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

8X is the Windows 8 version of the HTC 8 phone.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Prasad wrote:8X is the Windows 8 version of the HTC 8 phone.
Stay away from HTC!!. I had the desire and the battery life was bad, even when I wasn't using it it would drain to zero within 4 hours.