Indian Military Aviation- Jan 10 2012

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Aviation- Jan 10 2012

Post by Singha »

actually i am starting to warm to the idea. the pinaka-NLOS-TCS can likely be halved from current size and still command a useful range of 20km....long enough to safely be outside any form of MANPAD/SRSAM range and long enough to shoot from behind cover / behind the next ridgeline.

just because anyone else hasnt deployed it yet shouldnt be cause to kill the messenger. there is a strange and compelling logic in the idea given our rather SPARSE road infra in fwd areas.

infact match up these special Mi17 and their crews to the pinaka regiments ! and in that way use the pinaka's where they can reach , but potentially reach out another 100km in any direction and vastly expand the damage potential of each pinaka regiment. the ground units reload chain also supplies the airborne unit. only thing is the size of rockets are different.

in support of deep strike SF action, a couple of these Mi17 could tag along with the apaches/LCH and chinooks and launch a devastating initial volley of rockets in the first min of the engagement.

there's a lot of fun to be had with these platforms.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Singha Ji,

The point is the tactical utility of such a setup. When you have battlefield attack options ranging from arty to Pinaka to Prahar. Having such an option on an Mi 17 is an overlap in capability. Not to mention very expensive way of doing things.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Pinaka launch image
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

Looking forward to the day when Pinaka have wings to add to its gliding range.
Just like stand off bomb :idea:
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

sarabpal.s wrote:Looking forward to the day when Pinaka have wings to add to its gliding range.
:shock:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

So far no signs that ia is interested in prahaar.

Does russia have a similar system we could import at huge cost and trouble perhaps ?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

When a Pinaka is launched it lets off a huge plume of white hot gases.The Mi 17 intakes will ingest that plume soon after launching one of those brutes. I suppose the robotic arm would cover the nose of the intakes with two robotic fingers and prevent it from breathing at that time? The flight control software could be made to do that.

Its more fun to work with my brain switched off.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

When a Pinaka is launched it lets off a huge plume of white hot gases.The Mi 17 intakes will ingest that plume soon after launching one of those brutes. I suppose the robotic arm would cover the nose of the intakes with two robotic fingers and prevent it from breathing at that time? The flight control software could be made to do that.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

If we want a gigantopithecus airborne artillery system like this, we would need Il-76 type aircraft. The 8" Pinaka rocket even in shortened form would shake apart any chopper when fired singly, forget in a volley. OTOH, practically the same effect can be had with a guided air to ground missile in a much smaller package. Which is why things are as they are.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Its much more fun to work with my brain switched off.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

Victor wrote:If we want a gigantopithecus airborne artillery system like this, we would need Il-76 type aircraft. The 8" Pinaka rocket even in shortened form would shake apart any chopper when fired singly, forget in a volley. OTOH, practically the same effect can be had with a guided air to ground missile in a much smaller package. Which is why things are as they are.

While we are at it why not mount the whole Pinaka system on the IL-76, Tatra Truck and all so that the IL-76 fires rockets out of its backside. :twisted:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Will wrote:
Victor wrote:If we want a gigantopithecus airborne artillery system like this, we would need Il-76 type aircraft. The 8" Pinaka rocket even in shortened form would shake apart any chopper when fired singly, forget in a volley. OTOH, practically the same effect can be had with a guided air to ground missile in a much smaller package. Which is why things are as they are.

While we are at it why not mount the whole Pinaka system on the IL-76, Tatra Truck and all so that the IL-76 fires rockets out of its backside. :twisted:
:rotfl:
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Flying artillery took on a new meaning when the AC-130 Spectre packed both a 40mm cannon and a 105mm howitzer firing out the side. Theoretically, the Il-76 could carry a 155mm Bofors pointing out the back. :mrgreen:
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

You all got it wrong. We actually need this ::

Maybe the russians will install smerch launchers instead of cannons.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Singhaji, hopefully the utility part is covered, while BM-21 grad rockets might work, its the actual launch mechanism and how the TCS helps this is still not clear

1) I believe Trajectory Correction System is launcher based where launch tube elevation angle and orientation are set before firing the unguided rocket, it becomes tricky since all this somehow would have to be handled by launch tubes on a vibrating pylon not to mention recoil forces and smoke ingestion

2) Instead if the rocket itself is made capable enough, in launch phase it is released into the slip stream, a small booster is fired and a nose cap gives it the required angled orientation and then blown off (inspired by Brahmos launch sequence and it is reliable enough), the small booster is dropped and the actual rocket takes off, the terminal stage is GPS guided for precision and given that the Mi-17's are used by a number of operators, such unique capability gives us brand differentiation :P

Bala Vigneshji, how about a 4 ship formation?

Praytushji, while transport fleet size is a larger issue as long as the Choppers remain with AAC they might not complain, and in addition to redundancy, a demo solution implemented on Mi-17's can be the first cut followed by revision two on the medium lift chopper to be developed by HAL where the rockets are optimized

OK, my reloads are over :lol: and we are a bunch of crabs
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Singha wrote:actually i am starting to warm to the idea. the pinaka-NLOS-TCS can likely be halved from current size and still command a useful range of 20km....long enough to safely be outside any form of MANPAD/SRSAM range and long enough to shoot from behind cover / behind the next ridgeline.
there's a lot of fun to be had with these platforms.
MANPADS are not a threat if we know they are located at the target. Say, a C2 center or ammo dump. What makes MANPADS deadly is their ability to spread out and target unsuspecting helis. How can we say a NLOS-Pinaka-Mi-17 wont be tageted by a sneaking MANPAD? And if we are using this within our side of the border won't a regular Pinaka be better? both interms of range and usable tonnage?
in support of deep strike SF action, a couple of these Mi17 could tag along with the apaches/LCH and chinooks and launch a devastating initial volley of rockets in the first min of the engagement.
I think the element of surprise will be lost.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

this thread has officially gone nuts
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Victor wrote:Theoretically, the Il-76 could carry a 155mm Bofors pointing out the back. :mrgreen:
No. An Il 76 is too lumbering. It should be mounted on a Dornier. Nimble, small and stealthy.
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

RoyG wrote:
sarabpal.s wrote:Looking forward to the day when Pinaka have wings to add to its gliding range.
:shock:
No no not on Helicopter,As some BRites taken my point but launched from ground than reaching the maximum height than Pinaka rocket with help of popup wings glide toward target. wings can help gliding to extend range just like stand off weapon dropped from aircraft.

Although US tried some rocket from Chinook during Vietnam unsuccessfully
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

shiv wrote:
Victor wrote:Theoretically, the Il-76 could carry a 155mm Bofors pointing out the back. :mrgreen:
No. An Il 76 is too lumbering. It should be mounted on a Dornier. Nimble, small and stealthy.

Hakim Janab,
The recoil of the very first shot will take out the aircraft itself... :wink:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Well i suppose a bunch of sdb will do this better i have to admit
khukri
BRFite

Post by khukri »

chetak wrote:

Hakim Janab,
The recoil of the very first shot will take out the aircraft itself... :wink:
True although the US has mounted a 105mm gun on a C-130, together with a Gatling gun and a 40mm bofors cannon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Singha wrote:Well i suppose a bunch of sdb will do this better i have to admit
Singhaji, sdb still needs altitude to achieve its standoff range unless they could do a pop-up maneuver gaining few kms of altitude so that

1) the Mi-17 could still fly with decent nos
2) the sdb can clear high mountains

the ballistic path of rockets does this by default :?:
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

I have read somewhere that ARC uses Lakshya.
Why does it require Lakshya?
Is it employed in any other role other then as a target aircraft?
Won't Nishant be better?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Vasu Raya, can you take your rather um... innovative suggestions to the Newbie thread please. I really don't think this thread is meant to discuss mounting Pinaka rockets on frickin Mi-17s.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

Surya wrote:this thread has officially gone nuts
+1000 :rotfl:
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

nachiket, just a correction, the discussion was about air launch of NLOS rockets from Mi-17 as a concept, at the realization level 20km range got a half-hearted nod and sdbs were proposed, meanwhile the local Khap panchayat is after Pinaka which is now classified as an outlier
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

vasu raya wrote:
Singha wrote:Well i suppose a bunch of sdb will do this better i have to admit
Singhaji, sdb still needs altitude to achieve its standoff range unless they could do a pop-up maneuver gaining few kms of altitude so that

1) the Mi-17 could still fly with decent nos
2) the sdb can clear high mountains

the ballistic path of rockets does this by default :?:
Vasu,
What I don't understand is why this fixation on the Mi17??? I mean its an utility vehicle, designed to carry supplies to the troops and the troops themselves, why not let it do what it is designed for and let this business be taken care of heli's designed for this role..
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Bala Vignesh wrote:What I don't understand is why this fixation on the Mi17??? I mean its an utility vehicle, designed to carry supplies to the troops and the troops themselves, why not let it do what it is designed for and let this business be taken care of heli's designed for this role..
Message from Mi-17 to BRF Jingos: "Leave me ALONE!!"

:rotfl:

But seriously though: time to move this discussion to some other thread before the admin drones start taking too much interest in this little fun party here...
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Good stuff from Ranjan as usual.

Note:

1. Aux fuel tanks are pictured for first time in the IAF (though common elsewhere)

2. Some of the V5s have conventional clam sheel type doors ... others with the more modern ramp. what gives?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

vivek_ahuja wrote: Message from Mi-17 to BRF Jingos: "Leave me ALONE!!"
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

While we are on the topic of choppers, instead of the IL 76, instead of retiring the Mi 26 we should just have them lift a Pinaka system and hover over the battlefield and fire rockets. I bet the MI 26 should have no probloem lifting a Tatra truck . Its flexibility you see. Use it on the ground when needed and in the air whenever needed. :twisted:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Will wrote:While we are on the topic of choppers, instead of the IL 76, instead of retiring the Mi 26 we should just have them lift a Pinaka system and hover over the battlefield and fire rockets. I bet the MI 26 should have no probloem lifting a Tatra truck . Its flexibility you see. Use it on the ground when needed and in the air whenever needed.
Yes I agree. Neither the Mi 26 nor the Pinaka systems would be sitting ducks. At worst they would be flying, shootin' ducks.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

seriously do folks see a role for AC130 style gunship using a modded AN32 "G" - 40mm cannon and a gatling gun.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

vasu raya wrote:nachiket, just a correction, the discussion was about air launch of NLOS rockets from Mi-17 as a concept, at the realization level 20km range got a half-hearted nod and sdbs were proposed, meanwhile the local Khap panchayat is after Pinaka which is now classified as an outlier
The fact is that India posses neither the NLOS nor the SDB at the moment. The SDB by its very nature is a weapon to be deployed from a high seed platform. Read not suitable for a helo launch. Coming to NLOS, given the nature of the weapon and the likely range. Its functioning is largely independent of the launch platform. That being the case launching it from a helo is doesnot really give great a boot in terms of war fighting ability. While your suggestion has the disadvantage of removing a Mi 17, from tpt duties. Without a major gain in war fighting capabilities.
Will
BRFite

Post by Will »

shiv wrote:
Will wrote:While we are on the topic of choppers, instead of the IL 76, instead of retiring the Mi 26 we should just have them lift a Pinaka system and hover over the battlefield and fire rockets. I bet the MI 26 should have no probloem lifting a Tatra truck . Its flexibility you see. Use it on the ground when needed and in the air whenever needed.
Yes I agree. Neither the Mi 26 nor the Pinaka systems would be sitting ducks. At worst they would be flying, shootin' ducks.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Nice and grilled :lol:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Singha wrote:seriously do folks see a role for AC130 style gunship using a modded AN32 "G" - 40mm cannon and a gatling gun.
not in any of the theatres we expect to be in. those ships made sense for anti VC ops in the jungle
our wars are fought in much denser air defense environments
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:seriously do folks see a role for AC130 style gunship using a modded AN32 "G" - 40mm cannon and a gatling gun.
No I don't see a role. Not because it's not effective or attractive. But I think that was a product of an industry and economy that had excess and was able to develop machines for niche roles. The C-130s in an environment of total air dominance and the equipment - C-130, Gatling and everything else including the ability to achieve air dominance (AEW, SEAD, comm) were all manufactured in the US and every penny spent on the war was spent in feeding one's own military industrial complex, workers salaries and employment. In that environment it made sense. For India I don't see sch a situation arising anytime soon.