Bharat Rakshak

Consortium of Indian Defence Websites
It is currently 24 Nov 2014 05:51

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 100  Next
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012 12:03 
BRFite

ashish raval wrote:
^^ isro is not a newbie in the field with history nearing 50 years. It had state of the art equipments way back in 90's too. Isro was Indian governments highest priority and still is. Isro had iconic and very best Indian minds at its disposal. No doubt many of them left India for better shores but India is like a glacier of brilliant minds which keeps flowing.
If software development is not a strength of an organisation, it can be outsourced to private sector or stronger sw development arm of government of India.

ISRO is a bachcha is software. Please understand the context. In ISRO vs Google, the former is a space research org & the latter is a sw org. The comparison was for sw not space research.

There is no Google equivalnt in India, yet. So we do what we do. Google sources its images from Digital Globe. If Digital Globe were to go solo (without Google), the results would not have been anywhere as good as they are. Anyway my last post post on this topic

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012 17:16 
BRFite

ISRO FB page, seems like official page

https://www.facebook.com/isro.org

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012 19:58 
BRFite

pentaiah wrote:
Absolutely born into a family with farming traditions. I have witnessed first hand the wastage and the consequent inability use mechanization of process.

Most importantly the land that is not truly utilized to full potential are the bunds erected between each small plots by subdivision with in a small holding, for reasons to block water from seepage especially in paddy fields.
Although for the second crop starting in Jan the bunds are utilized to grow ( to a small extent) pulses like red gram black gram green gram some times chenna dal or planting coco nut trees.

For most farmers farm land is a lifeline and Bunding is needed to secure it, and they built a farming strategy around it over time, however in this age, bunding can be replaced with secure digital maps (courtesy Bhuvan) and ownership can be considered as land equity

these changes lead to collective or co-operative farming methods, and the derivative benefits include,

1) Crop insurance where in the scale ensures that individual farmers are't at risk curbing suicides
2) Elimination of middlemen for better pricing
3) Due to increased mechanization, manual labor which was the norm so far can be done away with and the 'more hands needed in the field' mindset of the rural folks changes leading to population control

At the field level, Bunding can be realized by the way of surveying devices, which maybe rolled into the smart phones that govt. intends to distribute to farmers, so sense of land ownership remains

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012 21:41 
BRFite

Source

India is planning to conduct the first flight trial of its Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) in the next 12 to 18 months, according to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) officials.

The HSTDV programme aims to produce a hydrocarbon-fuelled scramjet test article capable of Mach 6-7 and autonomously guided flight. The HSTDV will pave the way for a hypersonic cruise missile and platforms that can perhaps be applied to other tasks, such as very high-speed reconnaissance.

According to DRDO sources, initial ground tests with the kerosene-fuelled scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet) have been completed and the propulsion system is now being integrated with the air vehicle. Roughly 10 engine runs have been completed although the development team has yet to undertake a sustained 20-second burn, which is the operating time required for initial flight trials. This milestone will be achieved "soon", IHS Jane's was told. This contradicts some previous reports that stated the 20-second mark had already been reached.

From its main facility at Hyderabad, the DRDO's Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) is responsible for the programme's current phases.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012 16:26 
BRF Oldie

17 years on, ISRO spy case comes back to haunt AK Antony

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012 02:09 
BRFite

any news on next GSLV flight (GSLV D5) ?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012 14:28 
BRFite

Earliest launch of gslv mm 2 is march 2013.the cryogenic engine needs some more tests before stage integration

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2012 11:36 
BRFite

ISRO planning to acquire Ka-Band Communication satellites for India [Space]

Quote:
The Indian Space Research Organisation [ISRO] has sought 'Expression of Interest' [EOI] for construction of communication satellites operating in the Ka-band of the frequency spectrum.

The company, whom ISRO would eventually award the contract to, would be required to build one such satellite initially, with the possible option of a follow-on order to build one more. The manufacturer would be required to supply the satellite within three years from the time of signing the contract. With the 'requirement specifications document' being made available on November 6, responders have time up to December 20 to send in their EOI. Thus, assuming it takes one year to execute the various steps prior to the actual inking of the agreement, the first of these satellites would be placed in orbit sometime in 2016 or beyond...................

http://www.aame.in/2012/11/isro-ka-band-communication-satellites.html

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2012 12:31 
BRFite

Shankar wrote:
mm 2 is march 2013.the cryogenic engine needs som

Honestly i will be surprised if the launch is before april - may 2013 (most optimistic), considering that we have not heard any news with regard to the successful test of full stage test of the cryo stage for the complete duration and with the kind of cautious approach being followed by ISRO expect delays

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2012 14:45 
BRFite

Please check this link in youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQNJG8MPcIc

Falcon 9 launch video. Best part was the coverage (except for some issue in video), but stage burn / seperation and ignition of another stage, satellite seperation all those video being broadcasted, it really made watching the satellite launch experience much much better than viewing the blinking dots on the screen and hearing a few claps.

Please ISRO u can provide a better live feed of satellite launches

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012 01:00 
BRFite

dhiraj wrote:
Please check this link in youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQNJG8MPcIc

Falcon 9 launch video. Best part was the coverage (except for some issue in video), but stage burn / seperation and ignition of another stage, satellite seperation all those video being broadcasted, it really made watching the satellite launch experience much much better than viewing the blinking dots on the screen and hearing a few claps.

Please ISRO u can provide a better live feed of satellite launches

This is not related to ISRO dhiraj, please do not act like a fanboy and stay away from making fan boyish comments.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012 10:20 
BRFite

P.Bhagat wrote:
This is not related to ISRO dhiraj, please do not act like a fanboy and stay away from making fan boyish comments

Sorry i did not get what u meant with the statement. I know it is video of falcon 9 developed by a private entity in US.
I am a big fan of ISRO and just a humble request if ISRO could also provide such a live feed for its satellite launches at least for PSLV, it would just make the launch viewing more spectacular. What is such a big technological challenge with this, every one around the world is doing. Does it not look good :D ?
(FYI i have watched at least 95% of the launches done by ISRO which has been broadcasted live)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012 19:34 
BRFite

"Honestly i will be surprised if the launch is before april - may 2013 (most optimistic), considering that we have not heard any news with regard to the successful test of full stage test of the cryo stage for the complete duration and with the kind of cautious approach being followed by ISRO expect delays"

It would be nice if ISRO spokesmen stopped making unrealistic( and as it almost always turns out, totally incorrect) projections. Even for PSLV launches, they are inaccurate by a figure of 6 months to a year, often. And for the GSLV, whether mark 2 or mark 3, they are nowhere close to what they originally stated!

Knowing this, as they must, why don't they try to err on the side of caution for a change? So as not to get people's hopes up too much. Hey, now there's an idea.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012 23:24 
BRFite

No Saral on 12-12-12.
http://zeenews.india.com/news/space/isr ... 12325.html

Can ISRO stop announcing dates please.... :-?

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012 08:05 
BRFite

dhiraj wrote:
P.Bhagat wrote:
This is not related to ISRO dhiraj, please do not act like a fanboy and stay away from making fan boyish comments

Sorry i did not get what u meant with the statement. I know it is video of falcon 9 developed by a private entity in US.
I am a big fan of ISRO and just a humble request if ISRO could also provide such a live feed for its satellite launches at least for PSLV, it would just make the launch viewing more spectacular. What is such a big technological challenge with this, every one around the world is doing. Does it not look good :D ?
(FYI i have watched at least 95% of the launches done by ISRO which has been broadcasted live)

Whatever it maybe please don't post foreign videos here. I am pretty sure there is a thread for international discussion. Your repeated fanboyish comments are a little annoying and I would like if you tone it down. There is no reason to whine over little failures.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012 08:05 
BRFite

dhiraj wrote:
P.Bhagat wrote:

Whatever it maybe please don't post foreign videos here. I am pretty sure there is a thread for international discussion. Your repeated fanboyish comments are a little annoying and I would like if you tone it down. There is no reason to whine over little failures.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012 17:54 
BRFite

ISRO Designing GEO Imaging Satellite
Quote:
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is designing a satellite – GEO Imaging Satellite (GISAT), which will be placed in geostationary orbit of 36,000 km. GISAT will provide near real time pictures of large areas of the country, under cloud free conditions, at frequent intervals. That is, selected sector-wise imaging every 5 minutes and entire Indian landmass every 30 minutes at 50m spatial resolution.

GISAT will carry a GEO Imager with multi-spectral (visible, near infra-red and thermal), multi-resolution (50m to 1.5 km) imaging instruments. It will provide pictures of the area of interest on near real time basis including border areas.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012 20:55 
BRFite

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Fai ... s_999.html

Quote:
Failure Of India's Big Rocket Project Is Symbolic Of Deep Structural Problems
by Sumantra Maitra
New Delhi, India (SPX) Nov 25, 2012

The ongoing "Asia Pivot" by United States is rapidly changing the regional dynamics of the Indo - Pacific region, and nowhere is it more visible than the sphere of cooperation in defence and space research.

Recently Canadian and Australian defence co-operation and ties with India reached unprecedented highs, a chain of event termed as the "Rise of the Anglosphere" by historian Walter Russell Mead.

However, the successive failure of Indian GSLV missions, combined with India's stubborn secrecy and fierce independence in the space sector is giving rise to doubts about the scope of further future co-operations.

Although the failure of this signature launching vehicle is attributed to technical glitches, it is highly symbolic of the greater lack of clarity, purpose and direction in the Indian space program.

The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) was originally intended to be India's signature launching vehicle, eventually to launch India's INSAT type satellites, and reduce dependence on foreign rockets.

In the early nineties, with the collapse of the Soviet Union, India was forced to develop independent launching vehicles. India originally tried to buy the technology to build a cryogenic upper stage from Russia, but was denied, under pressure from United States and other Western countries.

With the development of indigenous Cryogenic engine, India became the sixth country in the World to posses the technology, which could be potentially used for civilian and military purposes.

Indian GSLV generally uses L40 liquid strap on boosters and old Soviet KVD 1 upper stage. But even though Indian military and ballistic missile programs were successful, as recently evident with the successful launch of Agni V ICBM, its civilian rocket and space program were mediocre at best.

The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), a launcher vehicle used previously to launch civilian satellites was used as a model of GSLV programs, but it was not successful. Multiple versions of GSLV were launched in the last decade, with more than half of them failing due to technical difficulties. A brief stint of success in 2003- 04 was followed by successive failures.

The vehicle failed to reach orbit, lost control of liquid fuel booster, veered of designated trajectory and had to be destroyed over the Bay of Bengal, or failed to deliver payload in the last four missions. With an unprecedented failure rate, GSLV is gradually on its way to be the costliest misadventure of Indian strategic and space sector. The eighth launch is scheduled in 2013.

The causes of these failures are minor, according to the official bureaucratic rhetoric, and were attributed to minor technical malfunctions. There was no clear response to queries as to why five out of seven launches have resulted in total or partial failure.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is also secretive and tightlipped about capability and weight of the satellites and why India is still unsuccessful in launching communication satellites more than 3000 KG, 36 Transponder class, whereas the nearby competitors like Japan and China, not to mention USA, Russia and European Space Agency have already moved on to triple that size.

There is no clarity and accountability when it comes to tax payer's money spent on space research, and no heads roll even when there are repeated failures. The lack of purpose is also evident as India lacks fixed and dedicated plan in the Space sector.

In an interview earlier this year, Dr. K, Radhakrishnan, chairman of ISRO, stated that India's main concern and thrust is in the area of applications and not manned space flights and space stations, unlike Russia, US or China. India with its massive population and democratic set up needs more communication satellite to cater to domestic needs, unlike China which is heavily centralized and controlled.

However that argument and logic falls flat as India is already planning for its second lunar mission in early 2014, Chandrayaan 2, and possibly a manned space mission by 2017.

In January 2011, the U.S. officially removed export controls on several subsidiaries of India's Defense Research and Development Organization and the ISRO. It was a clear signal that the United States would like to chart a new future of space co-operation with India.

American think tank Heritage Foundation also published a report around same time, calling for enhanced space and missile defence co-operation between India, Australia and United States, including satellite defence and interceptors, theatre based missile defence and most importantly future co-operation and joint space programs. However there seems to be lukewarm response and enthusiasm from the Indian side.

India's notorious reliance on Russian hardware is also a major hindrance when it comes to further cooperation with the West. Only with the benefit of hindsight would we be able to determine the trajectory of India's space co-operation with the West, or whether it takes any specific direction, but at this present point of time, it is safe to assume, that without any clear plan, or white paper, India's current space prospects are quite grim, and will continue in the chaotic and headless way for the near foreseeable future.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012 22:27 
BRFite

Don wrote:
http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Fai ... s_999.html

Quote:
by Sumantra Maitra

+1 ....always good to critically review things and try to fix problems and come out with flying colors rather than put everything under the carpet.
Action/Success speaks much much louder than words/announcement
Eagerly awaiting for some REAL success...

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012 22:34 
BRFite

When ISRO/DRDO are under sanction they always come out with results that scare the chaddis of the so called anglo-sphere and chinese. All this just seems to be a part of US pivot to Asia. I would prefer India to remain strategically independent of both US and Russia. China is a c-grade power and both US and Russia are aware of it. No reason for India to fight their war.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012 22:52 
BRFite

Bheeshma wrote:
China is a c-grade power

Sir , with due respect, with my limited knowledge, China has a cryo engine , man in space, preperation for a space station and still it is considered a c - grade power (i am just keeping focus on the space tech and i am not concerned about the source of their technology), where do we stand. From my understanding since 1989, they are not receiving any tech officially from any other country.
Would request a more objective and realistic assessment and I would be the happiest when tech developed by ISRO/DRDO start scaring othes :) .

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012 23:11 
BRFite

^^^

Well. well well. I am sure we think of ourselves, as dhimmified peace loving Indians. But take a look at what we have in our arsenal in general, and I will beg to differ that we dont scare anybody.

We scare plenty of people, including the Chinese. Lets work on scaring them more!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012 23:13 
BRFite

Don wrote:
http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Failure_Of_IndiaS_Big_Rocket_Project_Is_Symbolic_Of_Deep_Structural_Problems_999.html

Quote:
by Sumantra Maitra

The ongoing "Asia Pivot" by United States is rapidly changing the regional dynamics of the Indo - Pacific region, and nowhere is it more visible than the sphere of cooperation in defence and space research.

Recently Canadian and Australian defence co-operation and ties with India reached unprecedented highs, a chain of event termed as the "Rise of the Anglosphere" by historian Walter Russell Mead.

However, the successive failure of Indian GSLV missions, combined with India's stubborn secrecy and fierce independence in the space sector is giving rise to doubts about the scope of further future co-operations.

Although the failure of this signature launching vehicle is attributed to technical glitches, it is highly symbolic of the greater lack of clarity, purpose and direction in the Indian space program.

The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) was originally intended to be India's signature launching vehicle, eventually to launch India's INSAT type satellites, and reduce dependence on foreign rockets.

In the early nineties, with the collapse of the Soviet Union, India was forced to develop independent launching vehicles. India originally tried to buy the technology to build a cryogenic upper stage from Russia, but was denied, under pressure from United States and other Western countries.

With the development of indigenous Cryogenic engine, India became the sixth country in the World to posses the technology, which could be potentially used for civilian and military purposes.

Indian GSLV generally uses L40 liquid strap on boosters and old Soviet KVD 1 upper stage. But even though Indian military and ballistic missile programs were successful, as recently evident with the successful launch of Agni V ICBM, its civilian rocket and space program were mediocre at best.

The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), a launcher vehicle used previously to launch civilian satellites was used as a model of GSLV programs, but it was not successful. Multiple versions of GSLV were launched in the last decade, with more than half of them failing due to technical difficulties. A brief stint of success in 2003- 04 was followed by successive failures.

The vehicle failed to reach orbit, lost control of liquid fuel booster, veered of designated trajectory and had to be destroyed over the Bay of Bengal, or failed to deliver payload in the last four missions. With an unprecedented failure rate, GSLV is gradually on its way to be the costliest misadventure of Indian strategic and space sector. The eighth launch is scheduled in 2013.

The causes of these failures are minor, according to the official bureaucratic rhetoric, and were attributed to minor technical malfunctions. There was no clear response to queries as to why five out of seven launches have resulted in total or partial failure.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is also secretive and tightlipped about capability and weight of the satellites and why India is still unsuccessful in launching communication satellites more than 3000 KG, 36 Transponder class, whereas the nearby competitors like Japan and China, not to mention USA, Russia and European Space Agency have already moved on to triple that size.

There is no clarity and accountability when it comes to tax payer's money spent on space research, and no heads roll even when there are repeated failures. The lack of purpose is also evident as India lacks fixed and dedicated plan in the Space sector.

In an interview earlier this year, Dr. K, Radhakrishnan, chairman of ISRO, stated that India's main concern and thrust is in the area of applications and not manned space flights and space stations, unlike Russia, US or China. India with its massive population and democratic set up needs more communication satellite to cater to domestic needs, unlike China which is heavily centralized and controlled.

However that argument and logic falls flat as India is already planning for its second lunar mission in early 2014, Chandrayaan 2, and possibly a manned space mission by 2017.

In January 2011, the U.S. officially removed export controls on several subsidiaries of India's Defense Research and Development Organization and the ISRO. It was a clear signal that the United States would like to chart a new future of space co-operation with India.

American think tank Heritage Foundation also published a report around same time, calling for enhanced space and missile defence co-operation between India, Australia and United States, including satellite defence and interceptors, theatre based missile defence and most importantly future co-operation and joint space programs. However there seems to be lukewarm response and enthusiasm from the Indian side.

India's notorious reliance on Russian hardware is also a major hindrance when it comes to further cooperation with the West. Only with the benefit of hindsight would we be able to determine the trajectory of India's space co-operation with the West, or whether it takes any specific direction, but at this present point of time, it is safe to assume, that without any clear plan, or white paper, India's current space prospects are quite grim, and will continue in the chaotic and headless way for the near foreseeable future.

Shite article by Mr Maitra...sounds very poorly written to meet an overnight deadline.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012 23:17 
BRFite

mahadevbhu wrote:
Lets work on scaring them more!

+1 ....
yes this is what i meant , we need to do more :) , a lot more

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 00:41 
BRFite

Even though a lot of entities including ISRO came out of the sanctions list., nothing much has changed at the ground level !

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 07:32 
Forum Moderator

ISRO eyes a 6-tonne Ka band satellite - Madhumitha, The Hindu
Quote:
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) plans to foray into the powerful and high-throughput world of ‘K{-a}’band satellites by importing a six-tonne satellite, building one itself, or both.

It is looking at packing in 100 beams in a ‘next generation’ satellite compared to its regular 40, a senior ISRO associate and satellite expert said. It is testing the market to find a seller who could make it in the next 2 to 3 years as also be a partner in building such an indigenous satellite. It could take ISRO at least five years to work on it from scratch.

ISRO has assembled all its communications and Earth observation satellites in-house for some decades now. “We are trying out a different and twin-pronged approach here,” he said.

ISRO Satellite Centre or ISAC, the satellite assembly centre in Bangalore, earlier this month invited expressions of interest from global satellite manufacturers ‘for design, development, fabrication and operationalisation’ of a 6-tonne K{-a}-band spacecraft. It would weigh almost double the size of the biggest that ISRO has produced so far.

Experts say the K{-a}band will allow higher and faster data transmission on the Internet by at least two or three times what ISRO satellites now offer; and that it will suit VSAT operators who support this traffic.

“K{-a}band is the future, the world is moving towards it and if we don’t get in now, we will be left behind,” the scientist told The Hindu . “We have started building a six-tonne satellite at ISRO facilities, but it will take time.

In 2010, ISRO sent up GSAT-4 with a K{-a}band transponder. However, its homegrown GSLV launcher failed. The next one, GSAT-11, is at least two years away.

The same year, it also built a K{-a}-band satellite, called HYLAS-1 (or Highly Advanced Satellite) for a fee for British operator Avanti in a tie-up with Europe’s Astrium.

A K{-a}band transponder can accommodate far more users more efficiently than ISRO’s older Ku band satellites, one of them said. However, a disadvantage was ‘rain fade’ or disturbed transmission during rain.

The latest exercise comes at a time when ISRO is desperately augmenting its satellite capacity by leasing foreign satellites partially or fully.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 10:25 
BRFite

"Shite article by Mr Maitra...sounds very poorly written to meet an overnight deadline."

No appreciation for the efforts of ISRO, just negative comparisons with other countries. Instead of praising the building of a 3400 kg satellite, he has to compare the satellite with much heavier ones launched by countries that have been in the industry longer or have different requirements or less/no sanctions, or all of these. A 3400kg sat is something to be praised, particularly if it is the heaviest and/or more sophisticated comsat launched by India, regardless of what other countries have done.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 12:48 
BRF Oldie

Location: Bharathavarshey Bharathakhandey Jumbudweepey Kaveryaha Uttare Teerey
That article by Maitra almost castigates India for its "notorious" reliance on Russian hardware. Fact is even the US is reliant on Russian hardware now (Soyuz) :-)

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 19:40 
BRFite

Yogi_G wrote:
That article by Maitra almost castigates India for its "notorious" reliance on Russian hardware. Fact is even the US is reliant on Russian hardware now (Soyuz) :-)

RD 180

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 21:54 
BRFite

It seems like the fortunes/misfortunes of DRDO and ISRO have flipped in last 2 years!

DRDO well Run/delivered projects/products-
Aakash got Rs 25K corer order
Arjun kicked $hit outta T90
BMD close to completion (The cutting edge stuff!)
Agni 4 and 5, Prahar, K5/K15, Shaurya
Dhruv is going full speed, LCH and LUH doing good
PINAKA is being churned out by thousands
Brahmos is being tested and delivered by truck loads
ATV is unveiled and ready for sea trials
Lakshya and Nishan inducted, Rustom and many other on development
At least a dozen+ Radars- Indra, Rajendra, Rohni, Revati, Ashlesha, Bahiravi, BFSR (S & M), WLR
EW/ELIIT/COMiNT package - Sangraha, FCS etc
Navel sensors a- HUMSA, Ajanta, APSOH, NAGAN, Panchendriya

ISRO's got only

Chandrayan mission
2 Failed GSLV missions that were the most important focus for it is a big bummer
Scandal related to previous chairman

DRDO major projects still lingering-LCA, Kaveri, MMR
Nag
Astra
IJT/Sitara
IAC
ATV (may be not)
Not a big list compared to well managed/delivered projects.......
What did I miss? Only major (Rs 1000K Corer projects)

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 22:08 
BRFite

Quote:
by Sumantra Maitra

Regardless of the semi-educated analysis, there is some truth in the article. The needless secrecy of ISRO for example, the lack of a clearly defined goals by the organization; which was set up to use space to improve the lives of millions of poor in India but is now concentrating on Mars/Moon missions etc and trying to compete with Chinese in glory/high profile missions without getting its basics straight. The failure to focus on building capabilities in launch vehicles while still flogging the PSLV horse and celebrating even minor successes as great achievements? If the South Koreans can make use of the RD-170 technology and collaborate closely with the Russians , why can't ISRO find partners to help it out if it lacks the ability ?? why is ISRO still mucking about with UDMH hypergolic propellents when all of the world's top space agencies are moving to more efficient and lighter cryogenic propellents ?? And why is it that in 2012 India still has to "lease" satellites from foreign companies to meet domestic needs if ISRO has been doing its job ??

So while ISRO is a capable organization, it is like a rudderless ship adrift at sea led by charlatans trying to gain celebrity instead of doing their jobs. That's why we have ISRO chairman asking the government for funding a "manned" mission and Mars missions while we still have to buy passage with the ESA for our heavier satellites and Indians have to lease bandwidth on foreign satellites to meet our needs.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012 22:18 
BRFite

"ISRO's got only

Chandrayan mission
2 Failed GSLV missions that were the most important focus for it is a big bummer
Scandal related to previous chairman"

The GSLV has been a disappointment, for certain. But let's give credit to ISRO for its successful satellites and the PSLV launcher, even though the latter is now routine. Oceansat-2, Megatropiques and most of all RISAT-1, were major successes, and deserving of praise. RISAT-1 is the most sophisticated satellite developed in India, and very few countries have the technology/capability.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 02:05 
BRF Oldie

Brando wrote:
Quote:
by Sumantra Maitra
And why is it that in 2012 India still has to "lease" satellites from foreign companies to meet domestic needs if ISRO has been doing its job ??.

how many other countries has this huge requirement for transponders as India? our craze with television sucks up transponders like crazy.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 08:37 
BRFite

A lot of research in India seems to be done to milk the taxpayer. Projects like the IJT, the SARAS and perhaps even the AMCA are good examples of this. Modus Operandi - make a good brochure, run CFD analysis a couple of times and attract a few hundred crores from GOI for 10 years and then declare failure.

Corruption has become so deeply rooted in us that in theface of current challenges, we live in the "San chalta hai" attitude. The belief even here in some fanboys that their Mother Russia will make India a great power is simply another form of this deep rooted corruption.

Instead of common sense buys like the Qatari Mirages or the Hungarian Mig-29s, we are throwing money at costly fixes that will not appear for a long time while enemies fly cheap alternatives.

ISRO is showing no signs of recovering from the GSLV failures. We need the GSLV to come good.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 09:25 
Forum Moderator

ISRO I feel missed a product transition in the shift to heavy satellites. now we are lagging in that tech and desperately need foreign help to get domestic production going on such sats.

imo they should focus on a few things, but surely the current budget needs to be increased to chinese levels. you can be sure the Cheen is throwing a lot more money at this.
- GSLV fix it whatever it takes - rope in Rus help like was done for ATV.
- heavy comm sats
- military comms, sigint, oceansat and IMINT sats - rope in israeli help if needed

production rates need to increase, all points to lack of money and some lack of focus.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 09:28 
BRFite

Vivek K wrote:
A lot of research in India seems to be done to milk the taxpayer. Projects like the IJT, the SARAS and perhaps even the AMCA are good examples of this. Modus Operandi - make a good brochure, run CFD analysis a couple of times and attract a few hundred crores from GOI for 10 years and then declare failure.

Corruption has become so deeply rooted in us that in theface of current challenges, we live in the "San chalta hai" attitude. The belief even here in some fanboys that their Mother Russia will make India a great power is simply another form of this deep rooted corruption.

Instead of common sense buys like the Qatari Mirages or the Hungarian Mig-29s, we are throwing money at costly fixes that will not appear for a long time while enemies fly cheap alternatives.

ISRO is showing no signs of recovering from the GSLV failures. We need the GSLV to come good.

You are stealing words of lot of people....

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 11:06 
BRFite

The default style of indian reporting is criticism. Dont know why they dont stick to factual and well researched information.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 18:12 
BRF Oldie

Looking up to ISRO for military hardware and operational needs is like waiting for NASA to help out the military infra. It ain't gonna happen.

People who are willing to work on military bread and butter solutions are not the types who are willing to take huge pay cuts to work for ISRO or NASA type orgs on cutting edge stuff. What India lacks are Lockheed type military projects heavy companies, who feed on the trained but unhappy low paid ISRO engineers and scientists, who are willing to work on less challenging intellectually and in a less free environment for a larger pay.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 19:29 
BRF Oldie

Is satellite docking a difficult technology to master? if we can, then we can
1. extend the life of existing satellites, by perhaps dispatching smaller payload from modified missile systems to orbit -> dock... package should be able to dock, reprogram, or add battery or memory/processor/any LRU.
2. multiple launches is possible and any satellite can gain weight, features and functions added up.

now these may not be cost effective, but may be so depending on mission objectives.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012 22:00 
BRFite

kit wrote:
The default style of indian reporting is criticism. Dont know why they dont stick to factual and well researched information.

Fact of the matter is
1. ISRO is very good in launching rockets with 1.5 tonne to 1.8 tonne capacity to LEO / SSO
2. ISRO is alright in making satellites upto 3 tonne capacity for communication and also for remote sensing

3. ISRO does not seem to have advanced tech to make efficient rocket system. Its rocket engine's needs to be more efficient
4. To make to the next level of space exploration it needs cryo / semi-cryo engine. This is more critical since India does not have the luxury to buy engines from Russia / any country at least overtly
5. ISRO is better for the time being compared to countries like Brazil / S. Korea in space tech (this is great), but far , far behind China and ESA and i am not counting the Russian / USA

These are facts from open source and does not require much research and we have to live with it and with the huge delays that nowerdays seems to be happening with all there missions i am not sure were it is heading [ 2011 - 3 launches , 2012 - 2 launches only ].
And honestly I don;t understand why we count a .75kg or a 1 kg satellite as part of a space mission , are they really so important[ i am not aware of this thing at least , please correct me]

PS : People with much more knowledge in this regard at least please don;t suggest that space exploration tech are too complex and needs time to develop. If that is the case [ and i agree with it ] then my request to the scientists would be to at please stop announcing unrealistic timelines and create expectations only to later disappoint and focus more on the task at hand

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 100  Next