LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
karan_mc
BRFite

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by karan_mc »

@ Karan M , r u talking to me ?? What makes you think i write all those articles ?? Don't get personnel here , i only highlighted the problems Tejas had to suffer after it achieved IOC-1 no body including you can claim that this problems never existed .

if you want to rant about some sites please go to their admin , why are you dragging me in this ?? Don't take your potshots on me , take your frustration elsewhere .

I know how complex the project his , I Don't have to hear it from you, But Hello What happened to IJT ??? it was supposed to be lesser complex project then Lca or AMCA .

If You got upset because i mentioned of a pooja , i think its pretty common thing in defence circles to pray to all mighty for success , Should i post a picture of Pooja been performed right before Agni-V Launch here ???
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the new stream of tejas flights seems to start around 8:30am every morning.
quite foggy but visibility must be ok by the time they return for landing.

Vinaji, I have strongly supported the F16 type bubble canopy and EF style wide angle HUD for shakina effects-based-warfare from day1.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

karan_mc wrote:@ Karan M , r u talking to me ?? What makes you think i write all those articles ?? Don't get personnel here , i only highlighted the problems Tejas had to suffer after it achieved IOC-1 no body including you can claim that this problems never existed .
Hi Karan mc, please don't take everyone for a patsy here. You IDRW lot are by now infamous on multiple sites.

Posting your articles for more eyeballs and btw, your articles and website share a lot of commonality with your trademark typos & bad grammar. Its personal not personnel for instance!

And regards your highlighting those "problems" - thanks for proving the point! Clearly, you have no understanding of the LCA at all, if you think these are problems and started after IOC-1! Do you even understand the depth of redesign that was required after the TDs, f.e.

This is the problem. You chaps dont know much about the LCA or how complex such product development is, but put up the same sort of rubbish copy pasted from multiple sites on the LCA under the IDRW banner.
if you want to rant about some sites please go to their admin , why are you dragging me in this ?? Don't take your potshots on me , take your frustration elsewhere .
Hello, you are IDRWs cats paw - along with a few other "posters" aka pasters. Nine times out of ten, you lot post those links here with mandatory disclaimers, just to get eyeballs. When those articles are shown up for the rubbish they are, you guys are the first to defend.

Please stop playing this charade. Contacting the so called mythical "admin" or that is worthless judging by the quality of the site & I have no interest in wasting my time. I am fairly certain that telling you the reality is the same as telling the mythical admin. Understood? No more games, please.

I am not taking potshots at you, I am just pointing out that your statements about puja this, puja that are ridiculous and rubbish.

This program is facing the same challenges as others of this nature have. Nothing more and nothing less. It does not need you to come out with one more of your patented "IDRW research reports". Understood?
I know how complex the project his , I Don't have to hear it from you, But Hello What happened to IJT ??? it was supposed to be lesser complex project then Lca or AMCA .
More brilliance! IJT is a HAL project and has little at this point of time to do with the LCA!
If You got upset because i mentioned of a pooja , i think its pretty common thing in defence circles to pray to all mighty for success , Should i post a picture of Pooja been performed right before Agni-V Launch here ???
No - I am fed up of you & your website IDRWs constant whining & complaining regarding the LCA - stuff like this business of pooja or puja is just a symptom.

And btw, if you really want to keep trying to con people here about the difference between you and the mythical admin of the IDRW site, hire a decent copywriter.

Even your freaking typos, writing style, grammatical errors, syntax are the same.
Last edited by Karan M on 27 Nov 2012 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Singha wrote:the new stream of tejas flights seems to start around 8:30am every morning.
quite foggy but visibility must be ok by the time they return for landing.

Vinaji, I have strongly supported the F16 type bubble canopy and EF style wide angle HUD for shakina effects-based-warfare from day1.
Problem with changing the canopy design into a larger frontal cross section one correlates to increased drag. Thats a key reason the LCA team took the current approach and why even the Russians keep a different canopy design versus the full bubble type one.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

Karan M wrote:Old helmet was non DASH.
DASH is the new helmet and MB seat/LCA 'pit wasnt designed for it.
sorry for my ignorance , but then what was earlier .. i try to google it but unable to find anything..
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

nash wrote:
Karan M wrote:Old helmet was non DASH.
DASH is the new helmet and MB seat/LCA 'pit wasnt designed for it.
sorry for my ignorance , but then what was earlier .. i try to google it but unable to find anything..
DRDO Debel flight helmet.
http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/labs/DEBEL/ ... chieve.jsp
The DASH is a HMDS, its heavier, larger than a plain helmet.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

@Karan M, i own multiple sites ? i have site of my own ?? do i also own bharat-rakshak.com ?? , may be i do , what do you say ?? i don't know from where you have been getting this ?? can i ask seriously whts your problem with me ??

i agree i hang out in many defence site even in defence.pk / idrw.org / livefist , and even post articles from them , but am i the only one here ?? should i prove to you other members do that too ?? or may be i have multiple id's ??

I Request admin to record my IP and track IP of other members too who post articles from that site , so that Mr Karan M can stop accusing me of killing the cat when i don't own one . and also request admin to delete all the links i have posted so that Karan M can have a good night sleep .

If you still have problem with me than you can contact BR admin i don't think he is Mythical , or you only have gas and nothing else to your claims .

Wasn't the HAL who was harping how their experience on LCA project had helped IJT project in a big way , Wasn't the HAL who had built Kiran aircraft's in first place ?? how complex it is to but a aircraft with modern technology ?? since HAL had so many in hand experience ? , i know your answer its a complex project and you will never know , lol

you might not believe in Puja or other religious belief that's your Problem ,not mine and i don't joke around my religious belief , Religious functions in workshops no matter in what Industry is a common sight , may be you come from different background and want to show your ignorance on it .
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Long live LCA Mk.1 , Mk.2 and AMCA, hope this makes everyone happy :D :D :D

now for a couple of queries
1. heard a lot about A2G testing for LCA but not much about A2A , not sure why, could anyone provide any information
regarding this. Or is there a plan to keep Mk.1 for A2G role only and full MRCA capability will come only in Mk.2

2. If HAL was developing IJT and could not succeed much till now then it raises concern w.r.t the collaboration among the various development
agencies. After all ADA and HAL are not competitor like LM and Boeing rather they are a team. Any idea as to what is the trouble with
IJT when we are talking about Mk.2 and AMCA

Thanks
darshand
BRFite -Trainee

Post by darshand »

Karan M wrote: DRDO Debel flight helmet.
http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/labs/DEBEL/ ... chieve.jsp
The DASH is a HMDS, its heavier, larger than a plain helmet.
Well, if you google for DASH helmet, one of the image results is an LCA with the pilot wearing the DASH. So there have been flights with the DASH. The helmet does seem to be higher than the top of the ejection seat. But the photo is from 2010. So what changed?
shaunb
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shaunb »

With a change in the MB seat, would this have an impact on the ergonomics of the cockpit? I hope there is not much effort required on cockpit ergonomics because of the change.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

The helmet stuff sounds fishy to me. Wonder what the real reason is.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

merlin wrote:The helmet stuff sounds fishy to me. Wonder what the real reason is.
It doesn't sound fishy to me at all.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe it was a oversight from the time DASH testing started and someone realized this yr that pilots were at big risk in any ejection.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

but did it require all aircraft to be grounded pending redesign of canopy seperation??

Are they saying that no other tests could be run with old helmets??

does not make sense??
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

as suggested by other poster, i think they are going for weapon testing and HMDS system would be essential in those test.
And if in coming days we hear firing of CCM(R-73 or any other missile) using HMDS against some live target, then we can say that what has said today is correct.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

we could straight away look at a double whopper effects - go for the raptor ishtyle - slide back flip off with zero impact path to the pilot, and should be all frameless.

fiber/kevlar reinforcement meshes can be also thought about.
Last edited by SaiK on 27 Nov 2012 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

More likely (IMO) there are periodic safety reviews and the helmet is a very important electro optic gizmo for navigating, flying and targeting, So a review group probably decided that in certain situations the helmet is not safe enough.They took a decision to set that problem right - a good decision to make now. If you manufacture 24 LCAs and some pilot gets his head knocked out at ejection the entire assembly line will have to be reset. The time to iron out such things is now. It is also possible that as the plane gets handed to IAF the chances of some pilot exceeding design limits, or discovering some hole in the FCS is higher. test pilots are test pilots because they are stolid and safe. Fighter jocks are mavericks and discover things about planes that designers did not know. Also they may be entering a new phase of testing where the chances of ejection are higher so they have taken what might have been a minor issue earlier very seriously.

In fact someone asked about Air to Air testing. They can only test things like missile separation, guidance and targeting and radar now. But the real tactics will only be figured out once the LCA goes to the IAF. When the LCA gets an Su 30 on its ass what the pilot does will teach everyone about what can be done with the LCA.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

shiv wrote:.. When the LCA gets an Su 30 on its ass what the pilot does will teach everyone about what can be done with the LCA.
most likely..from LRUs:
1. chaff and flare
2. engage IR jammer
3. MAWS should ensure su30 is as far as possible from rear
..and iff
4. rearwards passive scan, and perhaps
5. rearward facing fcr if possible
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Surya ji given that the LCA team is logical in its approach they would have to ground the entire fleet for this upgrade only if they ahve upgraded all the LSPs to the same standards and as daaktar saab said moving onto the next phase of more challenging testing.

I remember in the param veer chakra serial or the hindi movie(on the iaf 71 conflict) the pilot who is a Sardarji takes out the webbing inside the helmet so that he can qualify to become a fighter pilot which otherwise wouldnt have been possible given his height

These are the things that deep tech transfer doesnt cover and has to be learnt the hard way. Good that the safety/QA team found this and fixed it. I think whiners in this thread should also remember how the height percentile of the pilots was used to tune the seating and FOV on LSP5 ... again something what a deep TOT doesnt tell you

It is easy to get frustrated but there is no easy way out unless you want to send one pilot up and name a road aftter him and give his wife a medal posthumously. IAF is probably pushing hard and ADA is also probably pushing hard but yeah we have tobe patient :(
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Time to increase my post count :)

Flight test update

from

LCA-Tejas has completed 1944 Test Flights Successfully. (22-Nov-2012)
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-106,LSP7-5,NP1-4)

to

LCA-Tejas has completed 1945 Test Flights Successfully. (24-Nov-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-75,LSP4-56,LSP5-107,LSP7-5,NP1-4)
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

I would be surprised to find out that they are changing the ejection system. It would take more than 3 months to do that, I presume. Probably, they are going to add a longer shark tooth on the top of the seat or something like that.
Yes. I would agree that if they were changing the ejection system to blowing off the canopy, then at the minimum they would need to model it in wind tunnels, then the actual simulation in the test track for the escape systems and then implement it. It would take time. However, if it had already been planned, then the change over could have happened.

I tend to agree with you that they probably have not fundamentally changed the through the canopy ejection system to the jettisoning the canopy system. Maybe modified the seat with a longer spike and some way of breaking the canopy cleanly over the head area with explosive cords or something is easier done and tested in 3 months.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Another possibility is to eject both the pilot and the canopy all in one step., and then the canopy separates at a safe point later in delta time., which means the canopy needs to be attached to the ejection seat. Just thinking aloud on safety and critical aspect.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

shiv wrote:When the LCA gets an Su 30 on its ass what the pilot does will teach everyone about what can be done with the LCA.
Et Tu saar? Why not think what the Su 30 does when an LCA gets on its ass? That thing is so small and nimble and with some high percent of composites in its wetted surface areas (some 90%), it will be difficult to locate. I think it will be interesting to watch what happens when 2 LCAs face off a Su 30 MKI. That tiny thing is Mirage 2000+ with composites and state of the art avionics. Go figure.

There was this dicussion of explosion cords on the cockpit (was it in relation to N-LCA?). I think they took time to ensure that thing is operationalized.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

SaiK wrote:Another possibility is to eject both the pilot and the canopy all in one step., and then the canopy separates at a safe point later in delta time., which means the canopy needs to be attached to the ejection seat. Just thinking aloud on safety and critical aspect.
That will happen when all controls and interfaces from the cockpit to the rest of the planes are electronic. In that sense, the cockpit itself will become a LRU.

Imagine what one can do when a cockpit becomes LRU, for once there will be no ejection seats, since the entire cockpit can be ejected out and second, the pilots inside can be provided a safe cocoon, on land or water., infact that thing might even try to glide back to a safe location.

And of course, avionics upgrades will become easy.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

karan_mc wrote: FOC has been pushed back to 2015 if i am not wrong . DRDO should conduct some kind of pooja or something on Tejas , first Fuel leak problem delayed , then heavy monsoon and now Helmet and modification to ejection seat delay , from time (IOC-1 Jan 2011) , Program is seeing hell lot of problems and delays , its time to pray to all mighty :(( :((
Karan_mc, why do not you do some puja and yagna and send your best wishes and good tidings DRDO way? DRDO is a secular organization and sometimes was also run by a certain non-hindu., so it may or may not indulge your wishes - but you are welcome to indulge in your wishes and send good tidings to DRDO. Atleast you can do that - no?

I clearly remember that it was projected atleast a decade if not more for LCA to be inducted from the first time it flew. Generally there is 33% overruns in time., sometime 50% overrun when it is done for the first time. So 2015 should be the date when LCA will be formally inducted in IAF. This is unlike Jaguars, which were inducted first and weapons trial performed on it later. In fact it took almost half a decade for Jaguar to be "weaponised" after induction. And after weaponisation, it went for a refit on avionics!
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

There are few LCA flights sighted from Nov 17. But Jaguars are most active, working in groups of 6 or 7 together mostly mornings (8 - 8.30AM) and brunch times. I get a good view while travelling to office and from office during tea breaks

Also there has been lot of ALH, Rudra and LCH flights. Last week I saw at least 5 helis (different types) doing test flights in the sky simultaenously
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

This is unlike Jaguars, which were inducted first and weapons trial performed on it later. In fact it took almost half a decade for Jaguar to be "weaponised" after induction. And after weaponisation, it went for a refit on avionics!
Not to mention Mirage 2000 as well, we got the Magic and 530D only later.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there was a old game called Falcon4 F16 simulator. the small slash and run Mig21s were very hard to deal with even for a F16. I never managed to shoot one down or even get on one's tail. mostly I bagged tu16 type bombers with amraams in head on engagements and sometimes in tail chase cannon runs climbing to high alt and shooting up from behind.

that model of F16 sure didnt have a great thrust regime and tended to "fall off" and lose bite when the nose stayed up for more then a few seconds. even landing the f16 properly was not easy due to its narrow wheel base...I usually belly slid or overshot 75% of the time. :lol: if I were a pilot the WingCo would have chewed me out and sent me back to basic trainers.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ You should move to F22 Raptor (by Novalogic) after you are done with Migs and EFs , you can drop a nuke in the enemy heartland and also return back and straffe your own airfield with remaining rounds in the cannon (I usually like to take out the friendly AWACS , watertank and the ATC in no particular order :mrgreen: ).
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

^ F-22 is way too easy to play. Go straight ahead, no one will be able to lock on you and one can easily decimate the enemy though F-22 is not that maneuverable as MiG-29 ( in MiG-29 Fulcrum, Novalogic). I go about shooting all the objects present in the game. :mrgreen:

In MiG-29 whenever a sam/aam is fired on me, I dive steeply to the ground while dispensing flares and chaff. Works like a wonder, don't know how effective this is in real life. SAMs are difficult to beat this way though.

Cheers....
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vina wrote:
I would be surprised to find out that they are changing the ejection system. It would take more than 3 months to do that, I presume. Probably, they are going to add a longer shark tooth on the top of the seat or something like that.
Yes. I would agree that if they were changing the ejection system to blowing off the canopy, then at the minimum they would need to model it in wind tunnels, then the actual simulation in the test track for the escape systems and then implement it. It would take time. However, if it had already been planned, then the change over could have happened.

I tend to agree with you that they probably have not fundamentally changed the through the canopy ejection system to the jettisoning the canopy system. Maybe modified the seat with a longer spike and some way of breaking the canopy cleanly over the head area with explosive cords or something is easier done and tested in 3 months.
It could even be a software modification in the timing of the ejection sequence if the safety panel discovery about the helmet was that a part of the helmet in a pilot over 5 foot 10 in height would hit part of the canopy unless the ejection sequence was modified by a few milliseconds. We don't know what they found and what they did. Yet Ajai "less brown than you" Shukla, a neo-Macaulayite, chooses to write that the LCA has "limped out of ICU". The contempt that Indians learn to show about the competence of other Indians is remarkable and that contempt seems to be directly correlated with early education in India.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

suryag wrote:I remember in the param veer chakra serial or the hindi movie(on the iaf 71 conflict) the pilot who is a Sardarji takes out the webbing inside the helmet so that he can qualify to become a fighter pilot which otherwise wouldnt have been possible given his height
Param Veer Chakra it was, how to cram in a 6 foot sardar into a adhai foot Gnat.

Flying officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon.

Ladne wala kabhi jyada der zinda nahi rehta. Life badi .... cheez hai.

Thanks for pulling me back into my nostalgic memories.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Just now saw one LCA, usual tea break :D
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

shiv wrote:It could even be a software modification in the timing of the ejection sequence

True. All we can do is speculate, it could be one of the "n" possible solutions to whatever problem was discovered.
We don't know what they found and what they did. Yet Ajai "less brown than you" Shukla, a neo-Macaulayite, chooses to write that the LCA has "limped out of ICU". The contempt that Indians learn to show about the competence of other Indians is remarkable and that contempt seems to be directly correlated with early education in India.
I don't know where he wrote the "limped out of ICU" but I did my bit of speculation from reading the article on his blog and did the YumBeeYea/Stratejee giri of looking for scenarios that look plausible.
The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), the DRDO agency that oversees the Tejas programme, has now provided a backup mechanism to blow off the canopy before the pilot’s head struck it.

“Yes, we had about three to three and a half months of gap [in flight testing]. Now that problem has been resolved. We have modified the Martin Baker ejection seats, making them more reliable and giving more confidence to our pilots. With that behind us, I think we are roaring now,” said Saraswat.
So given the 3 months gap, I sort of worked backwards and with my reading of "Shukla speak" (he is after all reporting as he sees it (as a layman) and not a Ear-o-space Eggspurt) of "blowing off the canopy" and Saraswat's "modified the ejection seat" to speculate that they put in the detonating cords in the canopy like you see in other through canopy ejection planes we have (BAE Hawk, Jaguar and Sea Harrier) and the modification to mean longer sturdier spikes to shatter the canopy (spike is the backup, in case the cords fail to detonate) .

So when during the next AI show, when the LCA is flying inverted, and Kedar Karamakar takes his brilliant photos of that , we will know for sure if this is what they have done. I'dont recall the LCAs having the canopy detonation cards from the photos so far.
if the safety panel discovery about the helmet was that a part of the helmet in a pilot over 5 foot 10 in height would hit part of the canopy unless the ejection sequence was modified by a few milliseconds.
Ah.. So you say the 95% range for Yindians has gone beyond 5'10" now . Hmm, the thin short dark indians have now seem to have grown in height. Fortunately, the average Paki has shrunk by 4 inches in the past couple of years (must be all the Chinese "food" the Pakis are eating now I suppose) and have shrunk to the average height of their Chinese brothers. Maybe that is why the JF-17 will have no "ejjakulashun" problems and the Pakis can eject very cleanly.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Vina- for the only JF-17 crashed, the Pilot ejection seat did not work and Pilot has to enjoy a gravity powered ride from 15K feet high till he met with the ground, rumour has it was the plane went to a spin when he tried higher than a 5g term.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=19776
Rediff.com » News » India's desi fighter jet Tejas limps out of the ICU
India's desi fighter jet Tejas limps out of the ICU
Last updated on: November 27, 2012 11:27 IST

India's desi fighter jet Tejas limps out of the ICU
Last updated on: November 27, 2012 11:27 IST

Ajai Shukla

The Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, which has remained grounded for more than three months, finally resumed flight-testing last week.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Aditya_V wrote:Vina- for the only JF-17 crashed, the Pilot ejection seat did not work and Pilot has to enjoy a gravity powered ride from 15K feet high till he met with the ground
Ouch! Poor guy. I guess that is one of the consequence of cloned products and poorly tested products. While the Chinese can clone a Martin Baker ejection seat from an imported sample, they will have no OEM support and access to their knowledge base and testing infra in case something needs to be changed for whatever reason.

In the LCA's case, Martin Baker as the OEM would have been on board, helping out with the needed modifications and their expertise in this.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

What poor guy, I want all PAF pilots to repeat such a Manuveour.
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

Therefore India is at a better basis of development, with open access to all available western opponents and subsystems, not like China that is sanctioned almost always.

Then why LCA is always late? You know J10 was a project started much later than the LCA but the latter has been in service 7 or 8 years already.

BTW, i don't mean to offend anybody. LCA is too small, it could be a nice bird if it could enter service around 2000. But by now,i.e. 2012, it is too small to support a country as big as India is.

Let's make a bet. From now, no country would develop a new type of manned fighter, as small as LCA anymore.
vina wrote:
Aditya_V wrote:Vina- for the only JF-17 crashed, the Pilot ejection seat did not work and Pilot has to enjoy a gravity powered ride from 15K feet high till he met with the ground
Ouch! Poor guy. I guess that is one of the consequence of cloned products and poorly tested products. While the Chinese can clone a Martin Baker ejection seat from an imported sample, they will have no OEM support and access to their knowledge base and testing infra in case something needs to be changed for whatever reason.

In the LCA's case, Martin Baker as the OEM would have been on board, helping out with the needed modifications and their expertise in this.
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

When did this JF-17 crash occur. Given that it was inducted without any sort of rigorous testing 1 is not too bad.