Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_23769
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by member_23769 »

Hello everyone,

This might sound like a stupid question, as even though I have been watching this place for a while, I still get lost, but does BR maintain anything like a list of recommended websites to use for research on Indian military history matters? I am talking about online resources like PHI or SDSU's Project South Asia.

Thanks in advance.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Hello folks,

I've been reading up on 1962 China war, and regardless of source, there is no discussion on what Chinese withdrew. They had occupied Tawang (that they now want) - so why did they withdraw especially in Arunachal Pradesh ?

Was it that - they were afraid of their supply lines lasting through the winter or were they apprehensive of the reinforcements being brought in ?
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

srin wrote:Hello folks,

I've been reading up on 1962 China war, and regardless of source, there is no discussion on what Chinese withdrew. They had occupied Tawang (that they now want) - so why did they withdraw especially in Arunachal Pradesh ?

Was it that - they were afraid of their supply lines lasting through the winter or were they apprehensive of the reinforcements being brought in ?
One reason is that unlike Aksai chin, Arunachal including Tawang was relatively more populated and hence the threat and likelihood of an indigenous resistance breaking out was immense for the Chinese Army. Couple this with the fact that Chinese at that point of time were already overstretched in Tibet( remember the timeline is in 1960's) and supply lines through Tibet were most probably not developed completely and were not robust.

Actually by withdrawing from Arunachal, Chinese saved their own honor. They did the same when they invaded Vietnam. And then to hide their own weakness they proclaimed that the above actions were intended to punish the belligerent nations like India and vietnam. Just think which nation sacrifices their thousands of soldiers ostensibly only for teaching the enemy a lesson.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

If we were to use Kaveri as engine for a cruise missle, what kind of range and payload it'll be able to take?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTRE_GTX-3 ... eri#Design
General characteristics
Type: afterburning turbofan
Length: 137.4 in (3490 mm) = 11ft 3 in
Diameter: 35.8 in (910 mm) = 2ft 11 in
Dry weight: 2,724 lb (1,235 kg)
S_Prasad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S_Prasad »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... r/1739507/

Enterprise was headed back to Virginia following a regularly scheduled deployment when the Sept. 11 attacks happened. As soon as the ship's captain saw the attacks he turned around without orders to steam toward southwest Asia, where it later launched some of the first attacks against Afghanistan. The ship's captain was Adm. James A. Winnefeld, who now serves as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Wonder if we had any such instances with our forces!!
Harshad
BRFite

Post by Harshad »

S_Prasad wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... r/1739507/

Enterprise was headed back to Virginia following a regularly scheduled deployment when the Sept. 11 attacks happened. As soon as the ship's captain saw the attacks he turned around without orders to steam toward southwest Asia, where it later launched some of the first attacks against Afghanistan. The ship's captain was Adm. James A. Winnefeld, who now serves as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Wonder if we had any such instances with our forces!!

That is incorrect reporting. He was ordered to head to SW Asia.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Is the Breaper on a long distance assignment? Haven't seen him around in a while.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

What is this weapon ?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/rocketry/tl2.html
The English confrontation with Indian rockets came in 1780 at the Battle of Guntur. The closely massed, normally unflinching British troops broke and ran when the Indian Army laid down a rocket barrage in their midst.
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

This video shows the soldiers of 2/1 RNZIR Battalion performing their Unit haka, powerfully acknowledging the lives and feats of their comrades who died in Afghanistan as they come onto the Unit's parade ground. It is also an emotive farewell for they will leave via the waharoa (the carved entrance way) for the very last time.

Note the sniper who is the honour guard leading the hearse in a full ghillie suit.

Honestly the best farewell I have seen for a fallen soldier yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

For aerospace afficiandoes:
Irwin E. Alber, "Aerospace Engineering on the Back of an Envelope"
English | ISBN: 3642225365 | 2012 |

Engineers need to acquire “Back-of-the-Envelope” survival skills to obtain rough quantitative answers to real-world problems, particularly when working on projects with enormous complexity and very limited resources. In the case studies treated in this book, we show step-by-step examples of the physical arguments and the resulting calculations obtained using the quick-fire method. We also demonstrate the estimation improvements that can be obtained through the use of more detailed physics-based Back-of-the-Envelope engineering models. These different methods are used to obtain the solutions to a number of design and performance estimation problems arising from two of the most complex real-world engineering projects: the Space Shuttle and the Hubble Space Telescope satellite.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:A spotter friend showed me a Recent photo of an IAF MiG 27 @ BOM (Navy Hanger).
What the Hell is that doing here?

Another source in the airport says it takes-off in the night & returns.

Some :idea: Enlightenment will be most welcome.
YES. I have seen it a couple of times. It is deep inside an hangar.
K
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Don't know where to post but here are some of my 2013 wishlist and hope we achieve these :

1. GSLV and Indian cryo success
2. GSLV Mk 3 test launch with no C-25 success, ground test of C-25 stage success
3. Semi-cryo ground test success
4. Tejas Mk.2 rollout
5. Nirbhay, K-4 succes, Astra pre-production stage
6. Arihant sea trial begin with very good feedback. K 15 test from Arihant success
7. progress on second attack submarine from Russia and second Indian nuke submarine test begin
8. MMRCA contract signed and work on induction begin
9. Very good progress made in area of AESA and other avionics for Tejas Mk.2 and AMCA
10. speed up the work on F-INSAS , major induction of prahaar and shaurya begin
11. Anti-Satellite test success
12. INS Vikramaditya inducted
13. Kaveri engine up and running to meet the Indian needs

Hope i am not being too greedy 8) 8)
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

I for one would be glad to see the Vik in indian colours.. It was supposed to be inducted over 5 years ago..
member_23658
BRFite

Post by member_23658 »

dhiraj wrote:Don't know where to post but here are some of my 2013 wishlist and hope we achieve these :

I would add a sucessful Mangalyaan flight to that list! Its supposed to be in Nov 2013
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

Amol.D wrote:I would add a sucessful Mangalyaan flight to that list! Its supposed to be in Nov 2013
knowingly omitted it. never been a big fan of this mission. powerful rocket engines are what i would be happy first and then proceed for deep space mission. Simply like the launch of rockets with RD-180 or the merlin engines. No long trail of fumes like the solid rocket engines but equally powerful and lot more efficient. Once we have such engines we can send much more heavier payloads to mangal , shani etc for more detailed analysis like the US is now doing with its rover.
member_23658
BRFite

Post by member_23658 »

dhiraj wrote:
Amol.D wrote:I would add a sucessful Mangalyaan flight to that list! Its supposed to be in Nov 2013
knowingly omitted it. never been a big fan of this mission. powerful rocket engines are what i would be happy first and then proceed for deep space mission. ....
Oh ok, but its not just about the rocket. There are a lot of technologies : real deep space tracking, 6 month journey through space and spacecraft control for orbital insertion from immense distances etc, that will be validated and will prove invaluable for later missions. On that note its a very big deal.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Lessons in handling a crisis situation

A swanky hotel in the city was targeted by “terrorists” who “killed” the security guard before taking its guests hostage in the early hours of Friday. Their demand: “handing over a judge who had awarded death sentence to one of their ilk”.

The police responded promptly, initiated counter-terrorism measures and diffused the situation after securing release of the hostages and arresting the “terrorists”.

Mission accomplished. This was a counter terrorism drill conducted by security agencies comprising a crack team of commandos attached to the Garuda and the Mysore police.

More than 90 commandos participated in the drill, which was planned and executed with the help of the local police, and ended after six hours at around noon.

The Garuda Force personnel gave practical lessons to the local police on various counter-terrorism measures that could be initiated to rescue hostages in case of a crisis.

The drill is reckoned to have enhanced the capabilities of the local police significantly. Commissioner of Police K.L. Sudheer was present. Senior police officers, crew from the local Fire Services Department, Mysore City Corporation officials and others participated in the exercise held in the city on Friday.

member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

I was watching a AC landing incident where a F-18 Hornet pilot had to eject when the arresting cable snapped after landing and jet rolled and fell in front of the AC....I was wondering when the pilot ejected in front of a moving AC from a falling jet... is he not between rock and a hard place? I mean how can he survive that massive 70,000 ton ship coming straight at him? I am pretty sure there is a way just want to know the procedure.

here is the video...

Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

I believe I read somewhere that the pilot in question (maybe another incident?), waited for sometime underwater and then ejected. He was fortunate enough to escape the blades. :shock:
Aditya Watts
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aditya Watts »

I was always fascinated with the Bears (Tu-142) but, I have read the operational shortcomings of this aircraft especially with respect to crew accommodation. Now, I heard that one of the things missing was a lavatory. Now I was always wondering, is it really that hard to install a lavatory in that aircraft? Russian aircraft are by my knowledge relatively easy to modify due to their relative simplicity. I mean how hard is it to install a ready made chemical Dixie lavatory? And, it's only a squadron-sized problem in theory, so it should not require that many Dixies.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

It comes with its own share of plumbing etc. but I do t think it should be vey difficult to install. What I do know is that for long missions they would wear diapers and use disposable plastic bags for porking.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Prithwiraj wrote:I was wondering when the pilot ejected in front of a moving AC from a falling jet... is he not between rock and a hard place? I mean how can he survive that massive 70,000 ton ship coming straight at him?
You have obviously not heard about Peter Debrass's underwater ejection from a Hawker Seahawk off Vikrant. SDRE's have far better adventures, just that they dont post on Youtube.
Prithwiraj wrote:I am pretty sure there is a way just want to know the procedure.
The procedure is underlined below http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Airc ... eaHawk.htm
An Indian Navy pilot, Commander Peter Debras, accomplished an extraordinary feat on 4 March 1976, when the VIKRANT's catapult malfunctioned and his Sea Hawk splashed down and sank in front of the carrier. The vessel then steamed directly over the top of the aircraft, and Debras cooly waited until it had passed over before ejecting and being rescued. It was the world's deepest successful ejection
http://www.expressindia.com/news/ie/dai ... 50424.html
``He had to quickly calculate the time taken by the ship to pass his aircraft,'' explains a spokesman for the museum. Premature ejection and the pilot would have hit the ship. Delay meant that he would have hit the bottom of the sea. Debrass survived the ordeal and went on to retire as Rear Admiral.
Kritavarman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kritavarman »

Curious, are there any laws that control private organisations and foreign governments bringing in weapons to display / demonstrate. Or is there any procedure laid down in this regards.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Noob query: Why is it that some Su 30 MKIs have canards and some don't?
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Saar, MKIs come with canards, always. We initially had su-30k which had no canards, they were later replaced by MKIs. Sometimes a view from the sides hide the canards. May be that got you confused?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

You're right sudhan saar, it is the side profile views that led me to ask that doubt. Otherwise, I also thought all MKIs have canards

Pics that confused me:

(posted by James B in Aero India'13 thread)

From Wikipedia
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

This is actually confusing. (I'm talking abt the second pic)But if you see other pics of the same exercise , you can easily spot the canards.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

The canards are there. It is just the angle at which the picture was taken that is confusing you. If the canards are in a position perfectly in line with the wing itself, they will be invisible from that angle.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Guess that is the explanation. It is almost like, as soon as the aircraft turns, the canards disappear! :P
As nachiket said, the canards must be positioned perfectly in line with the wing.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Since some of IAF weaponry is British WWII vintage here is a link:

LINK
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

how can one modify the lca to launch the brahmos-a ?
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

S_Prasad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S_Prasad »

at approxmately 40 seconds you can see the whole engine assembly wobbling on the plane.
Is that normal ?
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

S_Prasad wrote:
at approxmately 40 seconds you can see the whole engine assembly wobbling on the plane.
Is that normal ?
Oh yes that is perfectly normal. Even the commercial airplanes engines wobbles.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

I have a query from this report: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=19939
Then, early last year, the second contract worth around Rs 6,600 crore for 490 advanced fire-and-forget MICA (interception and aerial combat missiles) systems to arm the fighters was finalized with French armament major MBDA. The overall upgrade package may even cross the Rs 20,000 crore-mark over the decade it will take to complete it, as earlier reported by TOI.
How can the tender for missiles be clubbed with the upgrade program costs? Because the purchase of armament for aircraft will continue throughout, if you keep adding that cost to the cost of the aircraft, it will never end! What would have happened if we purchased the missiles after the upgrade program? Would that cost still be counted as part of this?
Dennis
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dennis »

A lot of basic Aerospace Engineering courses from profs at IITs and IISc are available online here:
NPTEL

Personally, I am amazed at the breadth and depth of the topics covered in these courses and we discuss some of these topics on a daily basis here on BRF.
member_23658
BRFite

Post by member_23658 »

I have a basic question on loitering capability for cruise missiles, with reference to the recent Nirbhay test. Why would cruise missile need loitering UNLESS there is a video feedback to the command center like a UCAV which can then make a decision on when is a good time to strike. I dont think CMs have this capability. Otherwise, whats the point of loitering, what is it supposed to be waiting for?
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

Amol.D wrote:I have a basic question on loitering capability for cruise missiles, with reference to the recent Nirbhay test. Why would cruise missile need loitering UNLESS there is a video feedback to the command center like a UCAV which can then make a decision on when is a good time to strike. I dont think CMs have this capability. Otherwise, whats the point of loitering, what is it supposed to be waiting for?

the video feedback could be provided by the UAV or spy satellite there is no need for video feedback from the cruise missile itself . The major reason for loitering capability is to avoid collateral damage & to ensure that the target is there in the building.

The second part for return of the Nirbhay cruise missile maybe because if the mission is abandoned then the missile should have a possibility to return to our own area & could be recovered by our forces. The only thing lost will be booster phase & the fuel for the engine which could always be topped up in the missile for next mission.
member_23658
BRFite

Post by member_23658 »

tushar_m wrote:

the video feedback could be provided by the UAV or spy satellite there is no need for video feedback from the cruise missile itself . The major reason for loitering capability is to avoid collateral damage & to ensure that the target is there in the building.

Thanks Tushar that does make sense, but i have a further clarification. If you send a UAV in that area will it not trigger alarm bells losing the element of surprise ?
For spy sats, do we really have real time enemy territory 24x7 coverage for such a scenario? I don't think so.
For returning to base, I think the gurus have spoken that it was a DDM misinterpretation.