Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Re: Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

Post by RamaY »

^ Chanakyaji,

Great points. This is exactly what I was thinking when I asked the question here http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 1#p1373841.

Given the fact that India achieved air superiority, it should have a 50+ HALE UAVs to enter the region and take out as many launch vehicles as possible, even if they do not have any warheads/missiles.

The next phase would be to keep monitoring the known underground missile launchers and go kamikaze.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Exactly, We need 24x7 coverage of China through satellites. We need LEO satellites to take Hi-Res pitures and realtime monitoring on 365 days basis even before the War. We may need number of UAVs and some with offensive capabilities to let loose missiles on marked targets.

We need more Missiles of shorter , medium and longer range and as much much as possible mobile launchers. I see our invetory is depleting fast. The need is to setup facilities to manufacture more in numbers.

Access to Lhasa/Xigaze, Nayingachi also needs to be blocked. Their claim on these territories must be questioned. We have enough historical evidences to claim Tibet and allow it as independent state.

We also need to look at the red herring of China saving its face. What face they are talking about even before retaking Taiwan or territories with Vietnam or Japan or Philippines and Russia.

Lastly, Those who desire peace must prepare for war.

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

And let us not forget strategic Bombers (nuclear capable) and Submarine fleet to complete Nuclear Deterrent triad.

Three Carrier Based Battle Group for a true Blue Navy.
We have to protect our Economic interest in the Ocean as well. We require the capability to fully dominate and control Malacca strait and IOR.

India is third largest Army in the World after USA and China and ranks 8th in military spending after USA, China , Russia, UK, France, Japan and Mother of all Surprise Saudi Arabia. India spends abou $50Bn vs. China $150Bn and USA $700Bn.

That shows we have a lot to do to catch up. But catching up game brought down USSR. So lets not get into that. We need to define our political objectives and stick to that. We have, essentially, no territorial ambitions but we would not take kindly to even suggestions of bullying down by others. Defend our Borders, settle border disputes amicably, protect our economic interest and oversee peaceful conditions internally and have friendly relations with as many countries as possible and have a stake in their peaceful development and economic rise together.

In the present War game , when China attacked us , we must set the political objectives and once that is achieved we must find a way to stick to that rather than escalating the situation even though we might have means to do that. China did exactly that in 1962. They stopped once they achieved their political objectives. War in only an instrument to achieve our political objectives. End Game must be defined and should go as we desire/plan.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Just see how much of youth energy we have to harness. We need to do that fast else that energy would turn destructive.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

X-posted fro Managing Chinese threat
ShauryaT wrote:CHINA’S TERRITORIAL CLAIM ON ARUNACHAL PRADESH - Alternative Scenarios 2032
Flow Chart I: Alternative Scenarios
Driver 1: Chinese Regime Stability and Nationalism
Driver 2: Tibet Factor
Driver 3: Internal Developments in Arunachal Pradesh
Alternative Scenarios 2032 on China’s Posture in Arunachal Pradesh
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

^^ 27 posts by Chaanakya between 23 Dec 2012 06:01 am and 22 Dec 2012 09:30 am

This has to be some sort of record for the number of posts by a single member in a single thread in 24 hrs..That too all fairly good posts...
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

I was hoping for Chini roast turkey, or pig with plum sauce for this Xmas. ( ewww)

But Vivekji hasn't obliged with any more posts. :((

But then, I hope he is well and if busy with SHQ/GHQ. He deserves it. And may the new Year bring him all the success with CHIMERA!
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Apologies for the delay guys.

I have been working feverishly on the book version of the scenario last few days ever since I realized that the amount of editing left in the manuscript was very high (loads of cleanup, integration of new material, you name it! :shock: ) and I was way behind the schedule on it. At this point editing 30 pages a day and still about 250 pages left! :((
Update on the novel: looks like I will converge on that 450 page mark after everything...
Also never realized how heavy my own reading material was until I tried giving it a reading flow for a book. :mrgreen: Can't edit more than 30 pages max a day after working sixteen hours on it!!! :!:

In any case, I caught up with my work enough today that I can start writing the new posts at BRF again. Will post new stuff shortly.

Thanks for the patience.

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

DAY 9 + 2230 HRS

HO CHI MINH CITY
VIETNAM

“I don’t understand our involvement at all in any of this,” Prime-Minister Sinh Triet said.
“And for all practical intents and purposes, there is none!” the Indian Defense-Minister stressed again over the telephone. “All we ask is that when the time comes, all you need do is to look the other way. So do we have an understanding then, sir?”

The Vietnamese head-of-state went silent over the phone, causing the people in New-Delhi to share looks.
“I am not comfortable with what I think is the unnecessary secrecy on the matter. And while I am happy to see that Beijing is being badly hurt by its current misadventure against your country, I have to ensure the safety and security of my own as well!” Triet said finally.
“I understand,” the Defense-Minister replied. He really did understand.

“It is very complicated, all of this. I have not forgotten what China did to my own country thirty-five years ago. We made them pay for their actions. But we never did pay them back to our satisfaction. We never had the means. And we simply could not purchase those means with the limited financial resources available to us over the years,” Triet added speculatively.
The Defense-Minister smiled at his end. He got his cue.

“Let me just say this, Mr. Triet: we at our end have discovered over the past few weeks who our true friends really are. And rest assured we will not forego on that! I am sure that India can always extend the means by which Vietnam could ensure its safety from the Chinese aggression. I am sure options always exist, if you follow…”
“I do, minister. And we will certainly take you up on that soon enough. For now, all I can say is that like you, we have been living under the threat of Beijing and its imperialistic ambitions in the southeast Asia for far too long. If you have the means to strike them where it hurts, all I and the people of Vietnam can say to you is: hit them! Hit them hard!”
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

DAY 9 + 2300 HRS

THIMPU
BHUTAN

“What the hell is all this?” Colonel Misra said as he stepped off his Dhruv helicopter at the grounds of the Dechencholing Palace. As his paratroopers and the local Bhutanese police maintained a barricade around the crowd of media reporters and journalists, Misra’s operations officer walked over.

“A lot of things have happened since you went to Dotanang, sir. General Potgam is here as well. He’s waiting for you inside along with the Bhutanese officials.”
“What the hell are all these freaking journalists doing over here? I thought Thimpu was closed out to the media until further notice on my command! This is a warzone, damn it! Not a media circus!” Misra thundered over the noise of the questions thrown at him from the mass of civilians being held back by the soldiers.

“General Potgam overrode the authorization, sir.”
“Where is he?” Misra asked.

“This way sir,” the Major said and gestured inside the building and away from the chaos outside.
As both men walked inside, Misra noticed a lot more Bhutanese officials plying back and forth through the marble stairs and offices of the building. Many of whom he did not even recognize…

This is a security nightmare!

Approaching his command post, Misra noticed Lieutenant-General “Warlord” Potgam standing by his paper maps laid out on the table. Potgam turned around to see the well-built paratrooper Colonel standing near the entrance.

“Ah! You made it back, Misra. Good. What’s the situation up near Barshong?” Potgam asked right away.

“Could be better. We are making progress but the roads over there are not suited for our vehicles to fight on anymore: too limited line of sights. They can traverse on them, though. So when we have taken Barshong we can drive the vehicles up there and reinforce before the Chinese 43RD Division forces begin arriving,” Misra replied and walked over to the map table.

“The way things are going, Misra, I don’t think this war will last long enough for the arrival of the Chinese paratroopers to make a difference. Barshong is the last major point of resistance for the survivors in the Chinese Highland Division forces in northwestern Bhutan. Once they are defeated, we will hold and secure. In the meantime General Dhillon is launching his counteroffensive in eastern Bhutan with support from IV Corps and whatever units of the RBA he has under his control to wrench territory in that region from the only other relatively intact brigade of the Highland Division in eastern Bhutan. Your major threat here after the capture of Barshong is going to be Chinese missile strikes. Tell your men to dig in hard out there and spread out their men and supplies in anticipation of that. Other than that though, Thimpu will likely not face further ground offensives from the Chinese. There is no momentum left at their end to do anything anymore,” Potgam concluded and looked around at the officers in the room before continuing:

“And New-Delhi agrees with this assessment. So do the Bhutanese. Hence the bullshit you saw outside. The government thinks that it is about time the media saw what was happening in Bhutan. The media has been allowed to reach Thimpu but not anywhere close to our military units, facilities or the frontlines. So how did you like your new celebrity status outside?” Potgam said semi-disgustedly. He had gone through the same process a little while back.

“Um, it was inspiring, sir. If that’s a word for it,” Misra said as he walked over. Potgam grunted.

“Inspiring, huh? Nice choice of words there. If it makes you feel any better, I had no choice on the matter either. Orders from New-Delhi are to smile and wave at the cameras whenever we get caught on them. Something to do with maintaining national morale or something! Don’t ask me because I have no clue either. But there is something else you need to know too. All those media weirdoes outside are here in preparation for something that should be happening,” Potgam checked his watch, “right about now.” He began walking out the door.

“I don’t understand,” Misra said. But Potgam just waved him on from the entrance to the office.
“You will. Come with me. We are going back out there.”

The three officers walked back down the stairs and saw most of the Bhutanese government officials walking the same way with a lot of excitement in their voices. Once outside, the helicopter noise increased as an AW-101 helicopter from the IAF Headquarters Communication Squadron flared for landing and touched down on the grounds next to Misra’s parked Dhruv helicopter. The rotor downwash threw up the light snow and dead grass from the lawns into the air, causing the mass of soldiers, media and government officials to face away until the main rotor blades began spooling down. The doors opened and an air-force Wing-Commander stepped out in his green flight-suit.

Behind him the exited the King of Bhutan…

As the mass of Bhutanese officials and civilians pushed forward to meet with his Highness, Potgam shared a look at Misra. The King of Bhutan spoke with the media amidst a barrage of flashes from the cameras and the flurry of questions thrown at him. But when the King started speaking, all others became silent:
“…And I would like to extend my eternal gratitude to the Indian armed forces for what they have done for my kingdom and the people of Bhutan. It is a debt that is not payable in words, so we will try it through our actions. The battle for Bhutan is not yet over and some tracts of land still remain occupied by Chinese forces. But they will be defeated as was their attempt to take this capital city from the Bhutanese people. My family was evacuated in the middle of the night a week ago under threat from Chinese forces. That threat still exists to some level. But my place is with the Bhutanese people in this time of crisis. And here is where I shall stay till the end,” the King concluded.

As the flurry of questions from the media instantly resumed, the King walked towards the stairs where General Potgam and Colonel Misra were standing with the other officers. Potgam looked at the paratrooper commander next to him:

“So the answer is yes to the question you are thinking. I used to do this for a living every day instead of being a real soldier here in Bhutan before this mess started.”
“I didn’t say anything, sir,” Misra added glibly.
“Yeah right. In any case, Colonel: don’t let all this get to your head. The war’s not over out there and the Chinese can still do some harm here. But for now, remember what I said earlier. Smile for the cameras gentlemen!”
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

Always good to have you back,sir!!
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Thanks Vivekji.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

chaanakya wrote:I have sent this inquiry to flipkart.
I want to buy Novel Chimera by Mr Vivek Ahuja. It is scheduled to release in Amazon. Could you please make it available through Flipkart in India. and If we can pre book the copy for quick delivery.
More details on the book here.
http://mach-five.blogspot.in/2012/12/i- ... wn-by.html
Probably other members could put in a request.
I went to Flipkart and searched for Chimera.

Guess what I found.
Chimera

By T. C. McCarthy
I hope this does not affect Vivekji in any way.

http://www.flipkart.com/chimera/p/itmd5 ... ry=chimera
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

I guess not. Here is what I found from Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera

Literature

Chimera (John Barth novel), 1972 National Book Award-winning novel
Chimaera (Well of Echoes), by Ian Irvine, the fourth book in the Well of Echoes series, published in 2004
Chimera (short story), written by Korean fantasy novelist Lee Youngdo
Chimera (CrossGen), a comic book mini series published by CrossGen Entertainment in 2003
Chimera (comics), a Marvel Comics character associated with the X-Men franchise
Chimaira (2001), by Valerio Massimo Manfredi
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Actually I got some emails as well about this issue and possible effect on the book.

I may have to change the name of the book if the publishers also agree that its too abstractly common. In that case I am always open to ideas from readers. :)

For now it looks like "Chimera" is merely a placeholder for the processing of the work and until I am done editing the last 200 pages...
rajeshks
BRFite

Post by rajeshks »

If the scenario happens before 2014 election and Pak joins the war, is it not a good idea to allow places like south block/race course road etc to be nuked by Pakistan. atleast after all these years its one good thing pakistan could do for the people of india.. may be as a CBM :)
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

vivek_ahuja wrote:Actually I got some emails as well about this issue and possible effect on the book.

I may have to change the name of the book if the publishers also agree that its too abstractly common. In that case I am always open to ideas from readers. :)

For now it looks like "Chimera" is merely a placeholder for the processing of the work and until I am done editing the last 200 pages...
Well looks like we have start a contest. Suggest name for upcoming Novel. The First person to suggest a name selected by Vivek would get a free copy from Me.

How about

Dragon Slayer

Burning Cold

Yuddha

to start with
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

chaanakya wrote:
vivek_ahuja wrote:Actually I got some emails as well about this issue and possible effect on the book.

Well looks like we have start a contest. Suggest name for upcoming Novel. The First person to suggest a name selected by Vivek would get a free copy from Me.

How about

Dragon Slayer

Burning Cold

Yuddha

to start with
Brash Dragon provokes the Tiger...,
Poised Tiger and Fiery Dragon...,
Escalation...,
Do or die...,
Enemy across himalaya...,
Phantom reality...,
Saving grace(or face)...,
Going for the jugular...,
Finishing punch...
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

How about "AgniVarsha" (As a follow up to Dragon Strike)?
8)
AmitG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmitG »

I came to this thread 2 days back and spent all of the last 2 days reading through vivek_ahuja's posts about the possible India China war. Excellent story buildup and very interesting read.

I am a newbie on this forum and I thought I would put my 2 cents.

Going by the scenarios and the situation, one can easily identify the weakness that needs to be covered up from the Indian side. While brave men fight and die, it is the lack of equipment that I feel has caused more harm. For e.g. the Chinese S-300 batteries seem to be a key here. They were not only able to bring down a lot of Brahmos missiles, but also aircraft and posed a great threat. I feel that such air defense systems is what India lacks even today, Akash being no match to the S-300. Even on the aircraft inventory, there seems to be shortage of fighters. Probably MMRCA would solve this problem with Rafales being used for air dominance as well as deep mainland strikes. Maybe LCAs need to be inducted quickly.

Our Airforce and Navy are the game changers as the terrain makes it difficult for the army to fight. Also, there seems to be lack of strategic initiative as China was easily able to invade Bhutan. Failure of diplomacy here too?

As far as the nuclear option exists, I feel it is important to understand why such a decision is easy for China to take and difficult for India. China is governed by the Communist Party of China, which makes it a single party system. The CPC does not have to face elections. Whatever happens, the party stays in power. This makes CPC more like a Corporate that owns vast armies, companies that do business...reminds me of the British East India Company. In India, any government that gets into a nuclear war is doomed. If one city is devastated by the enemy nuclear strike, the ruling party can never get back into power. The hijack of IC 814 and release of the terrorists makes this point very clear. While the NDA government saved the lives of innocent Indians hijacked in the aircraft, it is always termed as cowardice and placing national security at risk by releasing terrorists. The ruling party will not take a nuclear decision and will not continue the nuclear war because there is always fear of opposition terming it inability of the government to save Indian cities. CPC on the other hand does not have any oppostion!

There are two good books involving China - Dragon Strike (US-China war) and Dragon Fire (Indian-Pakistan-China war), written by Humphrey Hawksley. It provides a good careful analysis of the possible and war and the various options that exist if such a war breaks out!
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Come on brfites , more names pl.

Offer is open till Vivek finalises the name and announces it here.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Dragonfall

Inspired by a recent movie ;-)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

For Sun Zu's Ants of War

ChinCharade
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

The Hollow Fangs.

of china obviously...
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

'Dragonslay'
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Dragon Scales
Tiger Claws
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

Fight For Buffer
The 11 Days (assuming scenario lasts 11 days)
Prey On High Hill
Honor vs. Dignity (honor=china dignity=India/Tibet/Bhutan)
Resuming 1962 (or 1962++ or Rebirth 1962)
War In Shangri-la
harish_ch
BRFite -Trainee

Post by harish_ch »

1. Vengeance of the Tiger
2. E S C A L A T I O N!
Last edited by harish_ch on 28 Dec 2012 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
rohanldsouza
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohanldsouza »

Dragon Fall
Exit The Dragon
Tiger VS Dragon
Hindi aur Chinni Dobara
This is NOT 1962
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Manish_Sharma wrote:'Dragonslay'
No offence Manishji,

I think that the quality of Vivek's writing, its depth and breadth are unique. Having any name starting with Dragon- will somehow make it seem to potential readers like a Hawksley-type book, or worse, a Hawksley-fan-faction. I think the nuance in the scenario demands a rating higher than anything Hawksley has written.

I also feel that it needs a short and strong title, possibly something accessible to western audiences too. This is a book that deserves to be on the book racks of any International affairs or military 'expert' worth his salt.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

@Vivek_ahuja:

Ahuja Sir. Thoda dhishum-dhishum ho jaye?
Eagerly awaiting details of Punitive-Dragon and Vicious Vietnam Package.

--Ashish
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Face Off / Cheenis are so sensitive to face and are losing it in this scenario. So , let us rub it in.
Anand K
BRFite

Post by Anand K »

A Blade of Grass
:)
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

k prasad wrote:...
A sighting! :shock:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

"Tiger Eye, the India-China war of 2014" or change tiger eye to Tiger Claw (tiger eye is a surveillance pod used by the F-15SK)

have the face of a royal bengal tiger in silhouette (black) on a plain white cover, with only the eyes glowing coal red or malicious green...

something like this http://tattooingtattoodesigns.com/media ... 787154.jpg

or more stylized like this http://freedxffile.com/sites/default/fi ... 20Face.png ... maybe have silhouette of a couple Rudra WSI flying in close formation below that logo.

the second part of the title "the India-China war of 2014" would make it clear on the cover itself what the book is about.
Last edited by Singha on 29 Dec 2012 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

'The Red Lotus ' 8)
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Dawn of Brahma

Tibetan Sun
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Trinetra

We fix 3 things:
1. China is put in place. No more bullying and difference in perception of the borders.
2. Our neighbours realize their place in the pecking order and fall in line. No more string of pearls crap.
3. 3.5 friends will have to reasses their Pakistan strategy as everyone likes a 'winner'
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Great going.

I would request Vivek to Sign the copy to be sent to the Winner.

Contest open to all Brfites till Vivek finalises the name and announces the Winner as well.
trushant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by trushant »

Vivek..am trying to understand your motive behind selecting "Chimera" in the first place
Wiki says Chimera is a mythological fire breathing monster with body parts taken from different animals like lion, goat, snake etc. Were you alluding to the dragon but in a abstract way? There is also one reference to Chimera as winged quadrupeds in Chinese art..one more chinese connection.
My clue..one word..mythological creature with wings. How about Jatayu or Jatayoo?