LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by SaiK »

In many sense, it is cultural and political definition that the word indigenize deals with ONLY adopting to local culture and industrial needs what is obtained from outside the country. This does not mean do it everything from scratch. Even our culture is indigenizing western ways of living [it effects overall indic-system entropy {includes what we design, and how we use it}].

Product in use should fairly say where we stand.. and the main long term objective is "least foreign dependence" during war times.. which can also be argued that everything built from scratch would definitely stand but, there are cases where we would like to go slow on matters where the priority is the product and not the time aspects of getting there. (Kaveri for example.. IAF can't be waiting for ever).
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Sagar G

HAL today is pursuing development of HTT-40 against the clock for a quickly vaporizing order of 106 BTTs. Why did not it do so with the HTT-35, when it had the time on its hands. By 2000-2005 it would have had a first rate BTT. It would have had the order of all 181 trainers from IAF and may be many export orders. Why wouldn't you blame HAL for it?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

This is continuing in the wrong thread. Please continue in the Indian Military Aviation thread.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

indranilroy wrote:IAF will require trainers to train its pilots. If HAL does not foresse those orders and get a plane ready in time, IAF will have to import again. I see no fault of IAF in this!
HAL did not "foresee" this !!!! OK now I get why were you trying to downplay HTT-35 because talking about that won't help in your endeavour of painting IAF doodh ka dhula.
indranilroy wrote:LCA was being developed from 1980s. F404s only selected in 2003 and 2008, we selected the F414. what is the engine selected for AMCA. Clearly design studies are in advanced stages. For LUH, HAL and Turbomecca had broken down due to inexorbitant consultancy fees from Turbomecca. So HAL was planning to fit the twin-engine shakti itself on LUH in a different configuration. It was also in talks with other engine manufacturers for an engine. For AMCA, I have no clue of which engine they are going for. Clearly the engine has not been selected. Kaveri has to go quite some way before it gets fitted into the AMCA. NCA will float tenders for engines.
Wallah another miracle now we are back to talking about engines from no engine is required to design an aircraft. LCA was being made around Kaveri but since Kaveri couldn't make it in time therefore an engine was selected which can be used to replace the Kaveri with minimal or no change to the design of the airframe. For AMCA DRDO is hoping that Kaveri will come alive by then if not then they have surely set there eyes on possible replacements.
indranilroy wrote:That is neither IAF's responsibility or job. IAF's only job is to defend the country. IAF can support Indian products, if they are ready in time. IAF can handhold the industry too, but you can't demand it of them.
This statement of yours represents the thinking process that is prevalent both in IA and IAF (thank god IN is much much wiser) and is exactly the bane of indigenization in both these sectors. Whereas IN is creating landmarks after landmarks in defence indigenization the other two services are creating landmarks after landmarks in importing military stuff. This customer-kirana wala relationship that you paint here is not going to work if IA/IAF wants an indigenous defence industry. If both these services fail to see the benefits of indigenization then even God can't help India.
indranilroy wrote:Please read the comments properly before penning down long rants. I did not say that IAF is not operationally ready. I said, you given all this bhashan on your khujli, but you will give another bhashan on another khujli of yours IF IAF said that it is not operationally ready.
Please read my reply's carefully before branding them as "rants". I did not infer from your post that IAF is not operationally ready there is already enough open info available about it to show in what pathetic state our defence preparedness is but my khujli is due to the fact that even after being arm twisted by foreign arms vendor year after year IAF sleeps peacefully knowing about it's shortcomings very well but at the same time refuses to co-operate with our scientists and engineers who can get rid of this problem in due time.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

indranilroy wrote:Sagar G

HAL today is pursuing development of HTT-40 against the clock for a quickly vaporizing order of 106 BTTs. Why did not it do so with the HTT-35, when it had the time on its hands. By 2000-2005 it would have had a first rate BTT. It would have had the order of all 181 trainers from IAF and may be many export orders. Why wouldn't you blame HAL for it?
:rotfl: You still don't get it HAL can't do shit without the approval of MoD or any PSU for that sake without the approval of there respective ministries. HTT-35 burial is the fault of IAF/MoD period.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

No I don't get it. If MoD's nod is compulsory for action, then HTT-40 should have been shelved by now.
Last edited by Indranil on 29 Dec 2012 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

indranilroy wrote:No I t don't get it. If MoD's nod is compulsory for action. Then HTT-40 should have been shelved by now.
It is being by MoD, now connect the dots.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

And that is your speculation. While, you are entitled to your speculations, HAL's tenders for raw materials for HTT-40 says this.
It is understood & agreed that the Govt. of India is not a party to this agreement and has no liabilities, obligations or rights hereunder. It is expressly understood & agreed that H.A.L. is an independent legal entity with power and authority to enter into contracts solely on its own behalf under the applicable laws of India and General Principles Contract Law.
We can discuss more if you can substantiate any of your speculations.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

indranilroy wrote:And that is your speculation. While, you are entitled to your speculations, HAL's tenders for raw materials for HTT-40 says this.
It is understood & agreed that the Govt. of India is not a party to this agreement and has no liabilities, obligations or rights hereunder. It is expressly understood & agreed that H.A.L. is an independent legal entity with power and authority to enter into contracts solely on its own behalf under the applicable laws of India and General Principles Contract Law.
We can discuss more if you can substantiate any of your speculations.
My speculation is based upon a recent article only and if that article is right then we are making a blunder according to me. The section you quote is from IMMUNITY TO GOVERNMENT OF INDIA (GOI) and is a bit hypocritical when in the very first line it says...
HAL, a Navaratna Public Sector Undertaking under Government of India
So HAL as ordered by GOI is saving it's skin in case shit hits the ceiling but nonetheless if the recent article was only speculative then I am more than happy but if it isn't then as I said before this line of thinking will only spell doom for us.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Stopping HTT-40 production is a blunder. I have already said that. My objection has been at your baseless allegations.
Sagar G wrote: I bet behind the recent HTT-40 saga IAF "afsars" are involved.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

indranilroy wrote:And by the way, I have always been in favour of building the HTT-40. There is no other way than to bring up the aero industry without taking up smaller projects. Clearly, if our industry can't produce parts for a BTT, then it cannot produce parts for a AMCA, FGFA, MTA, NCA.
+1
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Aditya_V wrote:My quote was pun intended for the previous post regarding validation of the A to A role Tejas.
I understand and many Thanks Aditya for bearing with me and letting me quote you.

Jai Hind :-)
Last edited by Khalsa on 29 Dec 2012 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

indranilroy wrote: Why should an Indian built BTT be twice as expensive?!!! Think about it, every part of the PC-7 is imported, then by your logic, why should it be half the price of the HTT-40?

You spoke about engines and hence I would discuss it. The PC-7 also uses a imported PT-6A engine. And no, India would not be able to make a much cheaper engine than the PT-6A, and of its caliber. If you don't believe me, please do some research. There is proper reason why it is the most successful engine in its class by a big margin.

By the way, these are not cutting edge planes. These are all-metal basic trainers where one of the most expensive parts is integration of several small parts. This is labour intensive and hence should be cheaper in India!!!

So why is the HTT-40 TWICE as expensive?
1. May be the R&D is that expensive. However, there is no research involved. It is more of a design and integration challenge. Hence you see HAL starting to make HTT-40 in just 2-3 years on conception. It is not possible to do the same for a fighter aircraft or a modern airlifter. And one would imagine that over 106 aircrafts, this cost could be amortized substantially. This is not likely that this drives the costs up by 2 times.
2. May be HAL overestimated the costs for everything, and will revise the costs. (Most likely) in my opinion.
3. HAL is obfuscating the costs of HTT-40 to cover for some other expenditure.
4. HAL is utterly inefficient. I put this to exhaust all the options. I don't believe this.

Pick your choice.
There are only 2 engines in the market for HTT application. Garrett and PT-6. HAL already does deep (true?) manufacture of Garrett. Cockpit can be borrowed from IJT. So HTT should be quick and cheap. HTT-40 will also assist in future variants of Rustom UCAV.

It seems HAL management intentionally want to kill HTT-40. Similar to something like they forgot about production line of LCA. Keep blaming the engines in IJT fiasco while the real issues lies in Controls. Don't even talk about Saras etc etc. Just parade assembled Su-30MKIs.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

indranilroy wrote:Stopping HTT-40 production is a blunder. I have already said that. My objection has been at your baseless allegations.
Sagar G wrote: I bet behind the recent HTT-40 saga IAF "afsars" are involved.
IAF can do it's job here by coming in and expressing it's support for the programme but it was silent during the HTT-35 saga and still is silent about this as well so my conclusion about IAF isn't just a speculation. I am only joining the dots.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Nobody can stop you. India is a free country :-).
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

It is so strange how things posted over here get picked up by other blogs for instance the news on lsp-8 or the tender for mk2
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

or Nirbhay ;-)
Ramu
BRFite

Post by Ramu »

Found this on a LCA thread from Keypub forum. Apologies if already posted. strange that an LSP is parked alongwith harriers.

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ This would have been during the Goa sea level trials...

IIRC, the R-73 was first fired in these trials?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

is there a difference between the port and starboard missiles on the LCA?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I suppose, you don't mean affsar vs sepoy missiles on LCA. From a config point of view, I doubt the stores management would be in such an architect and not designed for such rank wise or missile caste system. Other than the capability in terms of weight and size and aerodynamic aspects, there should be nothing in the design to restrict what missile is on which pylon. JMT
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i meant the photograph - the fin colours are different
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

okay, the vympel vs. rafael.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Would love Derby firing from LCA
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

And Brimstone perhaps for now [test the SAR out], and later indigenized or a new nag.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Flight test update

From

LCA-Tejas has completed 1963 Test Flights Successfully. (21-Dec-2012).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-84,LSP4-56,LSP5-113,LSP7-8,NP1-4)

to

LCA-Tejas has completed 1964 Test Flights Successfully. (02-Jan-2013).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-84,LSP4-56,LSP5-113,LSP7-9,NP1-4)
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

NAL 2011-2012 report

http://www.nal.res.in/pdf/ch1dir.pdf
A simulation model of the fighter aircraft was developed incorporating the rigid body dynamics (airframe split into seven components), air data system and
flight control laws to clear LCA-Tejas for wake penetration. The flight model was embedded into the Engineer-in-Loop Simulator at NAL for pilots to practice the flight test profiles for wake penetration trials. The simulator was also used for evaluations of the auto-throttle mode, the Autopilot and high Angle-of-Attack studies; Fig.23 shows the Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (FLOLS) incorporated in the visuals for LCA Navy variant simulation.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

So simulations were done for wake penetration and its a go from a modelling perspective. What about actual tests?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Flight test update

From

LCA-Tejas has completed 1964 Test Flights Successfully. (02-Jan-2013).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-84,LSP4-56,LSP5-113,LSP7-9,NP1-4)

to

LCA-Tejas has completed 1967 Test Flights Successfully. (05-Jan-2013).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-85,LSP4-56,LSP5-114,LSP7-10,NP1-4)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

cousin's barbers part time maids phone repair guy was saying lsp8 trials in various hot / cold locations soon.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Singhaji - How many times will they keep testing in hot/cold/not so hot/warm/temperate/equatorial conditions. But atleast good news is that it is on LSP8
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Means current phase of testing is over?

It could potentially be so that the people who test now could let someone else to test similarly moving forward after due training, with the main testers giving final test sign-outs later. A production of say 8 LPS-8 could also begin. This could mean that next techs on Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft could be initiated too. It could mean anything potentially.
Last edited by vishvak on 09 Jan 2013 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

Singha wrote:cousin's barbers part time maids phone repair guy was saying lsp8 trials in various hot / cold locations soon.
Did the barber/ maid /Phone repair guy have any info on LSP-06? should we all say AoA (PBUH) for it to be ready for AoA testing...
member_23364
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23364 »

So now that HAL has delivered LSP-8, does it give a vacation to its workers for a year and then come back next year to make LSP-9 based on IAF feedback of hot/cold/hot & cold/wet/cold & wet/hot & wet/hot cold & wet/night/hot cold & night/cold & night weather trials.

Oh wait, i forgot foggy weather trials. When will that happen?

When will we finally produce the aircraft in a production line, goddamit. When will HAL start making at-least 8 Mk1/year? Next decade?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

LSP8 being the IOC squadron service plane, I think these would be just brief confirmatory trials...
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Has LSP8 flown Singhaji? Or is it still on the ground run tests?

Sorry if the answer is posted earlier.
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

rajanb wrote:Has LSP8 flown Singhaji? Or is it still on the ground run tests?

Sorry if the answer is posted earlier.
AFAIK only a ground run has happened, this was in NOV, after couple more ground runs and Taxi trials, the maiden flight will happen... It will be done in Jan 2013 for sure as many birds would be deployed for IAF exercise in Rajastan..
I presume IAF and HAL would like to showcase LSPs in AI2013 for us mango public?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Maybe they can taxi to Sargodha, release the payload and taxi back.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Flight test update

From

LCA-Tejas has completed 1967 Test Flights Successfully. (05-Jan-2013).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-85,LSP4-56,LSP5-114,LSP7-10,NP1-4)

to

LCA-Tejas has completed 1971 Test Flights Successfully. (08-Jan-2013).
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-242,PV2-222,PV3-348,LSP1-74,LSP2-238,PV5-36,LSP3-86,LSP4-56,LSP5-115,LSP7-12,NP1-4)
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Are LSP-3,5,7 and NP1 the only aircraft being used for flight testing? PV 2,3, LSP 2,4 have not flown she they restarted flight testing.