Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Raja Bose »

accha baba, now back to your batli :P *runs away*
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Fridge mein Allagash ki 4 hain. :D
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

kaun sa, Black or White? or Curieux?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

SaiK wrote:But, the mil folks will deny all data on their bandwidth... in fact can after you if you use their spectrum.

Yup. You squat in my spectrum, and I'll record your signal characteristics, triangulate on you, then get a warrant with law enforcement authorities (at federal and local levels), then seize your equipment. Most of the time it just takes a letter from the FCC and a small fine of $5K to $25K to get unauthorized wireless operators.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

For that matter one can't buy the short range walkie-talkies and use them in desh. I am not sure about it, after the spectrum scam though! :mrgreen:
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Raja Bose wrote:kaun sa, Black or White? or Curieux?
White hai be; got from a nearby gas station. Glen Allen, VA is a hip place I tell you, good nightlife for a place in this part of the world. :twisted:
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Yeh kaisa chi-chi hip hop place hai jahan daaru ka theka abhi bhi gas station hai?

---

In line with earlier assertions....

Why Steven Sinofsky Really Left Microsoft
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ It's just 100 paces from my Hotel; btw there is a Karaoke place and lounge at walk-able distance from the hotel so I don't have to drink and drive. It's a big deal man up, in the chi chi NE area you don't even get SDRE Bud in a gas station leave alone Allagash.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

I hope you are not dancing on Karaoke stage with a batli of Old Monk on your head :mrgreen:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

What is Allagash?

Added Later: Wiki to the rescue. I used to be confused for a curacaoan in Amstelveen.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 08 Jan 2013 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

OK. Here is an essential app for iStuff.

This Guy Is Teaching Your iPhone To Detect Bad Breath ... And Other Smells

Sorry! These are the kinds of companies which end up wasting massive amount of scarce resources. Who are the bozo VCs who are funding companies like this one?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ You sound like someone from my father's generation. :) Sorry sir but to give you an idea of the kind of stuff you are talking about kindly check the kind of money made by simple app like Angry Birds , my friend makes a living by just making apps for Android and iOS . While we at BRF suddenly develop this soft corner for fundamental research (half life of this interest = time spent per day on forum) ; in real life most of us are making a living making and selling so called non-essential stuff. :mrgreen:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

(Henceforth everybody please assume that I am prefixing my posts with the proper name and honorific - eg. for this post the prefix is "Negi ji")

You got me there. :) God speed to you sir, otherwise I cannot put food on my table. But still one can certainly strive to decrease the foot print and degrowth. I realize I am fighting a losing battle including my own family members :)
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Boss don't take me seriously half the time I am drunk. :D

Seriously though see as an idealist we all can crib or whine about so much money being thrown into so called non-essential stuff , hey take a look at the pay stubs of the various professions teachers and professors are low down there . We don't have to look any further sir so I am not amazed at VCs splurging money on some fancy stuff.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Why assume otherwise about others? (I mean the drunk part) :)
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:

Maybe MSFT will now become better. Aside from Office and XBOX, they are irrelevant to non-business consumers.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

IMO, may be not. Take it with a pinch of nimmak.

Last Sunday afternoon dropped off the kids at the Hobbit cinema and went to Walmart to get some victuals. I requested SHQ to fgo get the "non-essentials" like waffles and cereals etc. :lol: for the breakfast so that I can go down to look at the essentials. Pawed the Sammy ATIV running Win8 and Metro for about 10 minutes. Looked good, I tell ya. The screen can be detached to make it into a tablet - it has reasonable amount of memory (2GB) and 64 GB SSD, not too heavy, HDMI out, and Metro as smooth as iPod/iPad (unlike the only droid I had looked at and rejected - Moto Droid). I can't imagine I am saying it out loud but as long as M$ doesn't force the Metro down the throats of business desktop people, Chacha and Apple have a real threat here. Price is about $750 but I expect will come down to compete with comparable iPads.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Mort Walker wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:

Maybe MSFT will now become better. Aside from Office and XBOX, they are irrelevant to non-business consumers.
Most non-business kashtmars still run Windoze on their PCs/laptops. :mrgreen: In fact most (not all) ITvity companies are irrelevant to non-business customers - the big moolah is from business customers.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^But they aren't buying Windows 8. It's more like a one-time purchase of Windows XP, Vista or 7 with the PC/laptop and it ends there. These same people will buy iPods, iPhones and iPads through the year though.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Most Windoze sales to non-business customers is thru their HW purchase rather than direct sales. Windoze8 friendly HW is still ramping up becoz Mickey decided to play Mahdi on their HW partners. iPod/iPhone/iPads are still nowhere as ubiquitous as laptops (or desktops)....maybe someday they will be but right now they are comparatively niche compared to Windoze install base.

And the simple question to ask is, if Windoze8 fails, who will take its place? The only answer is Windoze7 and Mickey can throttle that to force adoption. People are not leaving Windoze to go to Macs in hordes and apart from Fruit Co. there is nobody to fill the vacuum (I always feel that Chacha missed 2 big windows of opportunity in the last 3 years to kill Mickey(no pun intended): one is ChromeOS, one is Google Docs). Windoze8 sales is like Obama re-election. :mrgreen: Actually Mickey really doesn't care if kashtmars buy Windoze7 or 8 or even XP becoz they still make the same chunk of change and more importantly still control the platform for delivering their other warez.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Accidentally bricked my old AT&T Samsung Eternity. I thought I got it unlocked but I forgot. Any free solutions?
Gonna try flashing firmware tonight.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ If you got out of the contract with AT&T gracefully then if you just send them an email; they will send you an email with relevant instructions. I got my 4s unlocked that way.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I agree Win 8 is like Ombaba re-election, but by the time Win 8 is ready for prime time, Win 9 will also be available. Sort of like when Vista came out and there were sales, but more sales of Win 7 PCs/laptops. Win 8 is great on tablet and phone, not so much for PCs/laptops.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

The pattern established my MS is very clear.. Always miss a release is good idea, and you get more stable product to use.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

negi wrote:^ If you got out of the contract with AT&T gracefully then if you just send them an email; they will send you an email with relevant instructions. I got my 4s unlocked that way.
4S? You are a phanboi? I thought they didn’t unlock ipoons?
As for my case, I have already emailed them and they just sent me an unlock code but it is not and unfreeze or defreeze code. I'll ask them for it but looks unlikely going by their warnings in the emails.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Mort Walker wrote:I agree Win 8 is like Ombaba re-election, but by the time Win 8 is ready for prime time, Win 9 will also be available. Sort of like when Vista came out and there were sales, but more sales of Win 7 PCs/laptops. Win 8 is great on tablet and phone, not so much for PCs/laptops.
To Mickey it doesn't matter - they will be happy with people buying Win9. That is a major opportunity gap where there is no mainstream competition to the dominant player - such gaps always lead to complacency on part of the incumbent and the kashtmar suffers.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Archan sir it was Kampany provided; they were fine with me keeping it as long as I took care of the bill after I quit. AT&T is very clear about the unlocking policy after the contract has lapsed/terminated they don't charge for it either.
Manish Jain
BRFite

Post by Manish Jain »

Bhailog,

Since Nexus4 doesn't seem to be in stock ever, any suggestions for sub $400 phone in US or sub 25k phone in desh? I'll be in US for 2-3 weeks so does it make sense to buy an unlocked GSM phone there?

Thanks.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

OK so AT&T said they cannot help as I froze the phone. I need to reflash the firmware. Internet says that you use a software called Multiloader to flash bada OS phones. I have that, and the new firmware. Problem is, multiloader has a Download button which is supposed to download the selected firmware pieces on to the phone. The pieces are selected but the download button is still inactive. Anyone has any experience regarding this?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

sub 25k phones in India like samsung galaxy advance (scheduled to get latest android in jan 2013) around 19k and same price samsung galaxy S3 mini scheduled to sell here shortly. both feature the 4" amoled screen. the second one has some extra features and both have dual core cpu, the s3 mini has 256mb more ram iirc.
the higher end of the nokia lumia line should also be in that band. they are offering the lumia 520 with 4" screen here for 10K is it any good?
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

did u have a popup blocker that blocked some enabling question or timer , recaptcha like stuff?
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Singha wrote: the higher end of the nokia lumia line should also be in that band. they are offering the lumia 520 with 4" screen here for 10K is it any good?
My mom got this phone recently. Seems like a decent phone but she had to get used to the interface a bit, since she was previously using an iPhone 3GS.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

archan wrote:OK so AT&T said they cannot help as I froze the phone. I need to reflash the firmware. Internet says that you use a software called Multiloader to flash bada OS phones. I have that, and the new firmware. Problem is, multiloader has a Download button which is supposed to download the selected firmware pieces on to the phone. The pieces are selected but the download button is still inactive. Anyone has any experience regarding this?
Archan,

Please check XDA Forums on this, they will help.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Guys, need some advice on a choice of camera, I am a n00b when it comes to photography and I am planning to replace my current point and shoot camera bought some 4 years ago and the flash now no longer works.

What I am looking for in my camera,

1. point and shoot with some SLResque features which will help me eventually graduate to a SLR in some years.
2. Excellent night shot capabilities. Powerful flash.
3. AA or AAA batteries, fed up with custom batteries which come costly and charging being a problem. Need the ability to buy new batteries in a tea shop just in case.
4. More focused on image quality than the MP count.

I am currently looking at Nikon Coolpix L810 Point & Shoot --> http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-coolpix-l ... r_camera_3

What do you suggest? Is this a decent choice?
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Microsoft announced today that it has sold 60 million licenses to Windows 8. This is the second sales update for the new operating system, which has sold slowly compared to the previous release and has thus far disappointed Microsoft internally.

Microsoft’s Tami Reller made the announcement at CES in Las Vegas.

Microsoft announced in late November that it had sold 40 million licenses in Windows 8’s first month. So this figure represents a 20 million license gain in 30 days, which was the average for Windows 7 over its three year lifecycle. (Indeed, Ms. Reller noted that this figure was “roughly in line with where we would have been with Windows 7,” which is another way of putting it.)
Apparently it is selling well. All this talk of "Windows 8 not good on desktop"... in seriously getting old. Click on the Desktop tile(or Win+D), pin apps to task bar and its just like Windows 7 but lot more optimized.

Also this talk about Windows Vista being crap and XP and 7 being a huge success is just a big lie.. Vista sold ~400 Million copies whereas 7 did about ~600 million. But a large number of that 600 million were crappy netbooks and nettops. If the whole netbook nettops thing would have happened at time of Vista, it too would have sold more licenses. Speaking of XP, it was HORRIBLE and needed SP1 SP2 and SP3 to be usable, stable and somewhat secure.

Anyone who experienced pre-SP XP or a netbook with Windows 7 would not have praised either versions of Windows.

And yet:

XP : Awesome
Vista: SUCKS
7: Awesome
8: ... definitely sucks.. must wait for another XP like release
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

all your requirements run contrary to current trends!

1. DSLRs cost as much as a galaxy S nowadays, cheap enough for a normal munna to buy and use - why defer real sex in favour of foreplay? for 30K you get in past the velvet rope.
2. DSLR sensors being atleast 4 times size that of P&S have far better low light perf. infact its one of the biggest diffs between DSLR and P&S world.
3. P&S flashes are weak, DSLRs flashes are more powerful. for around 5-8K u can get a more powerful extra flash as well run with rechargeable AA bats
4. AAA and AA are old hat. get with the program brother and embrace the compact and high energy Li bats on todays kit. why fly the the R-25 engine when soothing F-135 is there? use the dry thrust. u can always buy a extra one for long trips in the himalayas, but a typical DSLR battery will last around 400 shots - a whole 2 days of shooting in most case.
5. again DSLRs trounce the P&S not in MP count but in IQ.
6. avoid the half P&S half SLRish models u are looking at - neither the size advantage of P&S nor the full cockpit of DSLR...neither here not there. instead get a small P&S if you want casual occasion shots...even phone cams are ok for that.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Yogi_G wrote:Guys, need some advice on a choice of camera, I am a n00b when it comes to photography and I am planning to replace my current point and shoot camera bought some 4 years ago and the flash now no longer works.

What I am looking for in my camera,

1. point and shoot with some SLResque features which will help me eventually graduate to a SLR in some years.
2. Excellent night shot capabilities. Powerful flash.
3. AA or AAA batteries, fed up with custom batteries which come costly and charging being a problem. Need the ability to buy new batteries in a tea shop just in case.
4. More focused on image quality than the MP count.

I am currently looking at Nikon Coolpix L810 Point & Shoot --> http://www.flipkart.com/nikon-coolpix-l ... r_camera_3

What do you suggest? Is this a decent choice?
Get those mirrorless cameras.

Like this one: http://www.flipkart.com/sony-nex-5k-mir ... =son%20nEX
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I hate the look and feel of these NEX cams. are they a real selling trend?

feels like a MKI with the rear fuselage and engine removed with huge bars radar in front.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Mort Walker wrote:
archan wrote:OK so AT&T said they cannot help as I froze the phone. I need to reflash the firmware. Internet says that you use a software called Multiloader to flash bada OS phones. I have that, and the new firmware. Problem is, multiloader has a Download button which is supposed to download the selected firmware pieces on to the phone. The pieces are selected but the download button is still inactive. Anyone has any experience regarding this?
Archan,

Please check XDA Forums on this, they will help.
Archan ji, just to double check, you entered the flash mode of the phone when you attempted to do this correct?
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Singha wrote:I hate the look and feel of these NEX cams. are they a real selling trend?

feels like a MKI with the rear fuselage and engine removed with huge bars radar in front.
yes: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-nex ... engineers/