Indian Space Program Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_23694
BRFite

Re: Indian Space Program Discussion

Post by member_23694 »

disha wrote:And now coming to a different question, can you tell me what India/ISRO will achieve if they put a human in space today? Of course flag waving has its advantages., but try to go beyond that.

Also can you tell us why heavy lift vehicles are needed? How many were launched worldwide in 2012?
It is the question of developing capability. If the effort on semi-cryo in the 1970's was continued then today we would have something similar to RD -180 . Further the cryo saga is still on.
Bottom line , develop the capability and then use it at your convenience and requirement.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

dhiraj, most of your posts in this thread (and general aviation ones) sound like that made by someone looking for merchandize and collectibles from an entertainment franchise (movie, series ... whatever) for some instant gratification. You rarely seem to bother thinking about the priorities in front of folks who do India's budget allocations, which is fine at an enthusiast level. But when you start posting patronizing stuff, then that is not exactly nice to the tons of hard working folks who make things work in ISRO. And if you dont bother thinking beyond a pampered little chap's mindset of "I want the latest fad toy", then all you will get is heartburn from India's space program and the rest of us will have to read some really high pitched whines.

There is no point in saying semi-cryo would have solved all issues since 70s, if the current level of launch infra was not painstakingly developed (with contested budgets and MTCR crap) over the 90s and 00s.

Closest analogy for India's post-ASLV launch vehicle program is that to a compressed version of the european Ariane program. In recent years, focus on GSLV MkII seem to have been eased off because of the MkIII prioritization. It is a pragmatic mid-course correction. MkIII looks viable at this point for a country like India, because of the advances in India economy, as well as the ISRO being very frugal with its manpower allocations. The only reason for providing more funds for the MkII at this point is if someone in Delhi decides H&D needs to be saved with a human-rated launch vehicle, that too within a specific period. Even if the govt changes, I doubt human-rated LV is as high in the priority, as say a declared nuclear capability was back in the 90s. Even the jock lobby in China seem to be having difficulty in getting budgets for manned launches from their geek lobby. Their launches are infrequent and will not add much value from either a military or space science angle. Only those programs that have amortized the costs over decades (read Russian) is still going on with the manned launches, because the steam-punk designs of Glushko's engines are proven since the crazed budgets of 50s coldwar era. Even the space-sciences titan, the US, is having multiple revisions about its manned programs (cancelled Ares program and decommissioned SSTO) and is treading water with vital military ones like the X37. They could have easily commissioned new orbiters after the SSTO program wound down, but did not, because they have budget allocation questions to answer, particularly about national science objectives.

To summarize: you wont get satisfaction if you are looking solely for cool factor in India's space programs.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Sridhar wrote:Space Applications Center Ahmedabad does not build satellites either!
What karma, ISRO babus are also into divide and confuse old chaps :(( ...

SAC (Ahmedabad):
SAC focuses on the design of space-borne instruments for ISRO missions and development and operationalisation of applications of space technology for national development. The applications cover communication, broadcasting, navigation, disaster monitoring, meteorology, oceanography, environment monitoring and natural resources survey. SAC designs and develops all the transponders for the INSAT and GSAT series of communication satellites and the optical and microwave sensors for IRS series of remote sensing satellites. Further, SAC develops the ground transmit/receive systems (earth stations/ ground terminals) and data/image processing systems. In order to carry out the above tasks, SAC has highly sophisticated payload integration laboratories, electronic and mechanical fabrication facilities, environmental test facilities, systems reliability/assurance group, image processing and analysis facilities, project management support group and a well-stocked library.
ISAC (Bangalore):
ISAC at Bangalore is engaged in developing satellite technology and implementation of satellite systems for scientific, technological and application missions. ISAC is functionally organised into five major areas: mechanical systems area including structures, thermal systems and spacecraft mechanisms; digital and communications area including digital systems and communication systems; integration and power area comprising spacecraft checkout, systems integration and power systems; controls and mission

area consisting of control system, mission development and computer and information; and facilities. Reliability and components area and programme planning and evaluation group provide relevant support to the centre. Project management teams co-ordinate the implementation of INSAT and IRS projects. Space astronomy and instrumentation division is engaged in space science activities. ISRO Satellite Integration and Test Establishment (ISITE) including a Comprehensive Assembly, Test and Thermo-vacuum Chamber (CATVAC) provide necessary support for qualification of sub-systems and systems to meet the requirements of space environment.

Achievements include design and development of more than 50 satellites so far of various types like scientific, communication and remote sensing.

So in short, SAC develops and integrates satellite payloads and ISAC develops the chassis and integrates the payloads for the satellite. The final satellite comes of Bangalore, Kerala.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

dhiraj wrote: It is the question of developing capability. If the effort on semi-cryo in the 1970's was continued then today we would have something similar to RD -180 . Further the cryo saga is still on.
Bottom line , develop the capability and then use it at your convenience and requirement.
Please answer my questions with dhiraj, Dhiraj.

Regarding semi-cryo, I made a post several pages back about why it was irrelevant to India in 1970s and is still not very relevant. It is good to have semi-cryo, like a tool in your tool belt. Is it the sharpest tool that you will use it all the time? Not necessarily. Keeping that in mind, will you or nvishal answer the question?

HNair has already answered parts of it. But if newbies can start thinking, foggies like me do not have to worry about conflating SAC with iSAC.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

hnair wrote: then all you will get is heartburn from India's space program and the rest of us will have to read some really high pitched whines
Sir, no heartburn for me , whatever ISRO is good or bad i always wished them the best.
Regarding the "really high pitched whines" , no such intentions to go on a high pitch. It was a simple suggestion that what's wrong in developing technologies.
Tell me Sir, would the reaction to my post been the same if i had suggested upgrading the S-140 to S-200 for MK.3 . I think not .
The issue always comes up when i mention taking up new challenges.
Am I incorrect in stating that the solid booster tech is with us from the 70's and the Vikas engine is based on the Viking engine.
Correct me if i am wrong. Now what happened after that. No Cryo or Semi-Cryo, and these tech are from the 60's and 70's right.
hnair wrote: if the current level of launch infra was not painstakingly developed
PSLV is up and running from 1993 and so is the INSAT etc. What is new after that , that has been mastered.
hnair wrote:To summarize: you wont get satisfaction if you are looking solely for cool factor in India's space programs.
I don;t go always for the cool factor stuff however on the other hand i will also not just praise someone because it is right thing to do and everyone is doing. Fine ISRO launched a successful PSLV mission , fine , good work and was very much expected.
Now it should move to the next level and work on that. Grow , move ahead, what is wrong with it.
If people could loose interest on the Apollo mission then PSLV is too small compared to it . In other words no fun if no new challenges 8)
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

disha-saar, I dont think dhiraj is listening. Will try one last time.
dhiraj wrote: Sir, no heartburn for me , whatever ISRO is good or bad i always wished them the best.
Regarding the "really high pitched whines" , no such intentions to go on a high pitch. It was a simple suggestion that what's wrong in developing technologies.
Tell me Sir, would the reaction to my post been the same if i had suggested upgrading the S-140 to S-200 for MK.3 . I think not .
In India, when you go to a wedding, you don't compliment the beautiful bride with reminders of her past diaper rashes, do we? Your posts till now has way too many put downs about to list.

As for you upgrade suggestions or "what is wrong in developing technologies?" kind of wide-eyed questions, it wont matter even if anyone here explains in detail about "why we cant", because you don't care enough to think of budget allocations (we were not always rich) or prioritization (selecting the most bang for Indian public's meager buck). To give a perspective on budget allocation struggles, a PSLV mission, that you pooh-pooh as "old stuff from '93", that gets cancelled, can open a few primary health care centers that saves a few hundred lives over a 20 year period. But still we persist with these launches, because the humble PSLV that you demean, is a vital pillar of India's heavily debated, but heartily supported space policy.

As for condescending "No Cryo or Semi-Cryo, and these tech are from the 60's and 70's right", all fundamental blocks of modern space tech are from the 1930s (Peenemunde and beyond), so what is your fricking point, other than condescension, dhiraj? Except for newer mission computers and sensor miniaturization, the core engineering has not changed, except for incremental tweaks. The last jump in tech at a system level was in the 70s, from ablatives to reusable thermal tiles, which is also more of an incremental one.

But you are not caring to delve a bit more into the history of each block of a launch vehicle, than wave your hand imperiously and order a "semi-cryo pronto".
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

nvishal wrote: Desi engine to power GSLV From the link:
Pointing out that Isro had already conducted one of the crucial tests at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre at Mahendragiri, Ramakrishnan said they would soon do the high altitude test in vacuum to check the engine’s stability in upper space.
“Once this test is over we will integrate the cryogenic stage in GSLV rocket for launch in May this year, which will carry one of GSATs, India’s advanced communication satellite. Now we have addressed all issues, including the failed booster pump, and we are certain that we will have a successful mission in May”, he added.
Interesting.....the May GSLV launch will carry a full-scale satellite. A high-altitude test will be done between now and May. Wonder when this facility was built (probably sometime after May 2010). The issue in the GSLV D3 launch in 2010 was that the cryo-stage ignited (per announcements during launch) but did not sustain due to failure of hydrogen booster pump (from ISRO press release). No detailed report of it in public domain.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Carrying a full scale satellite again? I am pretty sure there are way smarter people out there at ISRO... but thought testing of vehicle will be done using a dummy satellite may be? On a second thought I think the cost of building the dummy satellite with all its fairings and release mechanism and unfolding of solar panel will be pretty much the same as the real satellite... we are just not throwing some dumb weights in the space
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

disha wrote:Can you please take your Rona-Dhona regarding Kaveri to appropriate thread?
It's not rona dhona was us non-jingos. It is a fact that needs to be overcome.

Regarding Kaveri, the article makes a very small mention of it so I don't think it will derail this thread.
disha wrote:And now coming to a different question, can you tell me what India/ISRO will achieve if they put a human in space today? Of course flag waving has its advantages., but try to go beyond that.

Also can you tell us why heavy lift vehicles are needed? How many were launched worldwide in 2012?
The question you need to ask is what is the most strategically important project in ISRO today?

The answer is the IRNSS navigation system. Forget about any access to GLONASS. Logic says that the russians will not give to us.

Increasing payloads is very important. IRNSS is a military project. It has little to do with astronomy or flag waiving as you call it.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

PSLV is up and running from 1993 and so is the INSAT etc. What is new after that , that has been mastered.
to make each improvement in these vehicles take time and current PSLV has much more capacity than the first one. For example, 1993 PSLV was able to carry 800kg to a polar SSO, the HP should be able to carry 1900kgs. That more than double

Also the INSAT of 84 is not the same INSATs of 2012. ISRO has minitaurised and most important more buses are there (I1K, I2K, I3k & I4k) I hear that the Bangalore teams are working on I5K and I6K buses too. It means that the capacity additions are also taken care for future

Regarding ISRO's semi-cryo and cryo projects that was done in 70's we need to think about the technology challenges they faced. With not even a single engine designed in India, how is some ISRO scientists come up with engines?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SriKumar wrote:
nvishal wrote: Desi engine to power GSLV From the link: Pointing out that Isro had already conducted one of the crucial tests at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre at Mahendragiri, Ramakrishnan said they would soon do the high altitude test in vacuum to check the engine’s stability in upper space.
“Once this test is over we will integrate the cryogenic stage in GSLV rocket for launch in May this year, which will carry one of GSATs, India’s advanced communication satellite. Now we have addressed all issues, including the failed booster pump, and we are certain that we will have a successful mission in May”, he added.
Interesting.....the May GSLV launch will carry a full-scale satellite. A high-altitude test will be done between now and May. Wonder when this facility was built (probably sometime after May 2010). The issue in the GSLV D3 launch in 2010 was that the cryo-stage ignited (per announcements during launch) but did not sustain due to failure of hydrogen booster pump (from ISRO press release). No detailed report of it in public domain.
Hearing that certain clearances were not specified clearly by the ruskies leading to the problem. ISRO had to figure it out all by themselves as ruskie help was not easily forthcoming.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

^^^ I believe it was ramanaji who pointed out that CAB engine assembly were never mission tested by Russians, before we did. The RD-56 design we got from them was for their failed manned lunar program and did not actually fly before it did in GSLV.
symontk wrote: Regarding ISRO's semi-cryo and cryo projects that was done in 70's we need to think about the technology challenges they faced. With not even a single engine designed in India, how is some ISRO scientists come up with engines?
Budgets and prioritization. They still might have come up with some success, if they were given priorities and money like that.

But what would a struggling, developing country with recent colonial memories and some well-supported jerks as neighbors do, when charting out its program in the 60s-70s? Allocate budgets for:
1. large-diameter solid motor (lower payload but maximum near term security benefit)
2. earth-storable propellant based engines (medium payload gain, also medium near term security benefit - can be kept fueled up for weeks)
3. semi-cryo/cryo engines (zero near term security benefit but maximum space-sciences H&D benefit)

Remember there was no luxury of the post-80s "military" vs "civilian" program budgets in those 60s/70s era. And even if we had, no one cared to listen, as we found out with MTCR in the early 90s.

Japan, Brazil and SoKo all have their own large-diameter motor programs, despite being part of MTCR regime and hence able to import cryo-tech relatively freely, for precisely the same reason as India's.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/315 ... nched.html
First naval satellite may be launched this year
Kalyan Ray, New Delhi, Feb 28, 2013, DHNS:

India’s first military satellite may be launched later this year with the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) securing the service of a foreign rocket to launch the 2.5 tonne satellite for the Navy. :(( :(( :((

The UPA government had sanctioned more than Rs 400 crore to book a berth for its GSAT-7 satellite on a commercial Ariane-5 rocket launched by the French company “Arianespace”. The rockets are launched from Kourou, the company’s launch pad in French Guiana.

The 2013-14 budget allocates only a meagre Rs 14 crore for the GSAT-7 launch service.
But the revised estimates of 2012-13 let out the crucial information. In the last fiscal, the government initially sanctioned Rs 207 crore for the launch service but later raised the allocation by more than double to Rs 448.51 crore, signalling advanced launch vehicle booking for the naval satellite. Isro does not officially admit GSAT-7 as a naval satellite, but navy officials confirmed it as being the first naval platform in space. :((

GSAT-7 is a user funded communication satellite, which was initially planned for launch on-board GSLV. :(( But in the absence of an operational GSLV and due to the “schedule criticality” of the satellite, provision is made for the launch through procured launch service, says the budget document. In the last year’s document, Isro said in the absence of GSLV, permission from the government was sought for the foreign launch of the military payload. The generous hike of Rs 241 crore is a clear indication of the go-ahead from the government. :((

Isro’s 2011-12 annual report said the satellite employs standard 2.5 tonne bus platform with a power handling capability of around 2,600 W and a lift-off mass of 2,550 kg.

A year ago, the space agency in its 2010-2011 annual report stated GSAT-7 was a multi-band satellite carrying payloads in ultra-high frequency, S-band, C-band and Ku-band.

The satellite is meant to link up various naval warships and submarines pushing the navy closer to network centric operations.

The Isro’s budget has been enhanced to Rs 6,792 crore from last fiscal’s revised estimate of Rs 4,880 crore, which is an increase of Rs 1,912 crore. .

Reason for :((

After the Loral sats fiasco with PRC launch vehicles in the early 1990s, the launch vehicle providers want all the details of the satelite to ensure it doesn't fry the vehicle electronics. To have a Navy satellite that will be used for communicating with all Navy warships and subs its totally foolish to let a foreign launch vehicle service to send it into orbit. And the Navy too should have thought it through unless this is another silly CBM.

Might as well give them the transponder and say hit me!
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

^isn't GSLV MKIII scheduled to launch this year then why this Kolaveri di by GoI/IN/ISRO :shock: !
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

What is proposed this year is a sub-orbital launch of MK-III without the cryogenic stage (it is meant to test the L-110 stage and the S-200 boosters in flight). It will not place any payload in orbit.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

In any case, the intended launcher for this satellite was the MK2 and not the MK3. While they seem confident about MK2, I am guessing that depending on the launcher being qualified will delay the schedule significantly and they don't want that.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

Time equals money and Money equals time

Funding is a problem for ISRO
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

our lag in heavy GSAT launchers continues to grow...and sats continue to get heavier.
Cheen is streets ahead in this department and pouring on resources to climb even higher.

unless we do some 5-10 GSLV-x launches a year reliably..we are not even a player at that table. that means lots of funds and resources needed - something that ISRO budget does not allow.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Is there any plan to use S-200 boosters or even L-110 (as second stage) in PSLV to further improve it's performance while we stabilize our cryogenic engine/s?
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Payloads Of The Megha-Tropiques Satellite Being Tested Before The PSLV-C18 Launch Mission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsDIOjoEt0

apologies if already posted
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

ISRO plans to push more satellites this year

The coming year’s Rs.5,615-crore outlay for the Department of Space has no new or big-ticket projects even as it levels the allocation exactly with what was earmarked originally for 2012-13.
abhishek-nayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek-nayak »

Holy lord! it cost's 300 crore to launch satellite from Arianespace?
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

GSLV MK 2 is scheduled for laucnh in MAY 2013 after high altitude ignition test is carried out some where end of this month
GSLV mk 3 is some way off next priority for ISRO is Mars mission in November i think .there is not much flexibility here if we miss then another wait for 2.5 years
we are all eagerly waiting for mk 2 launch as till that is done even mk3 progress is getting affected . it will have to be successful if the rest of gslv program is to continue without check .only after mk 2 is cleared c-25 engine and stage will come in for testing i think
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Deccan chronicle :

Desi engine to power GSLV
DC | N. Arun Kumar | 22nd Feb 2013

S. Ramakrishnan.
Chennai: The Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) has plans to launch GSLV with its indigenous cryogenic engine in May this year.

Speaking to Deccan Chronicle on the sidelines of the national propulsion conference at IIT Madras on Thursday, S. Ramakrishnan, director, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), said Isro had done extensive review of what went wrong in the cryogenic stage in the Geo Synchronous Launch Vehicle (GSLV). “We also did a detailed analysis of the booster pump which failed during the mission”, he said.

Pointing out that Isro had already conducted one of the crucial tests at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre at Mahendragiri, Ramakrishnan said they would soon do the high altitude test in vacuum to check the engine’s stability in upper space.

Listing out launches to be made by Isro this year, the VSSC director said PSLV would soon place SPOT 7 satellite in orbit after which there would be couple of launches with foreign satellites.
Ramakrishnan noted that India would demonstrate its technology in re-entry launch vehicles segment. “Every country is doing re-entry launch vehicles as a demonstration vehicles. We have been working re-entry launch vehicles technology. Currently we have a small vehicle. We will attempt for a bigger one in one year”, he said.

Saraswat: India’s tech gap with other countries widening

Scientific advisor to the defence minister and DRDO’s director general V.K. Saraswat on Thursday lamented that India had to depend mostly on foreign nations for technology and the ap between India and other developed nations had widened in the recent past.

Delivering the inaugural address at the national propulsion conference at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, Dr Saraswat said even though India had made greater advancements in technology based on solid and liquid rocket propulsion it needs to develop a lot in tactical missile propulsion system.

“The present state of engine technology in our country is not up to the mark and the aerospace industry in our country is at crossroads. We have achieved partial success with Kaveri engine flight tested in flying test bed abroad”, he said.

Raising concern over the dependence on foreign technology in aircraft, both defence and civilian, Dr Saraswat said the import cost of technology would cripple national economy and endanger national security, if the country’s scientists didn’t’ develop indigenous technology.

“We don’t have state-of-the-art indigenous system worth mentioning. Even simple fuel injection systems are not made on par with international standards”, he added.
Dr Saraswat pointed out that Indian war tanks had no engine manufactured in India and the defence forces had to rely on foreign technology for it.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

does the H2 family of japan use cryogenic engines? did mitsubishi develop it on their own or obtained help from US?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-IIB

its size and payload is similar to what the GSLV mk3+ hopes to be... which means they are already far ahead. as unfortunately is Cheen
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

http://www.sac.gov.in/SACSITE/IRNSS-1A.html
The design of the payload makes the IRNSS system inter-operable and compatible with GPS and Galileo.
Not with GLONASS?
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

AbhiJ wrote:http://www.sac.gov.in/SACSITE/IRNSS-1A.html
The design of the payload makes the IRNSS system inter-operable and compatible with GPS and Galileo.
What does that even mean ??? IRNSS signals can be received by GPS or Galileo based devices or what ???
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

If I am not wrong there was some talk of making GLONASS signals compatible with GPS/Galileo, basically bring all to same type of phase shift keying. Dint materialize, if that had happened IRNSS would have been compatible with Glonass. We anyway partly "operate" GLONASS and inter operability with it would have been redundant, to go with GPS/Galileo was a good move, more options open to us.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

If you think of the multitude of GPS compatible devices available for civilian use, it makes sense to use the GPS format. The G3O module will read all formats anyway.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

We are way behind as per ISROs own schedule in launching geo stationary satellites vikaram Sarabhai projections were by 1980s we would have launch vehicle to do put insat class into orbit.

We missed the bus by going liquid O and Liquid H instead of kerosene route

The engines are high pressure, regeneratively cooled staged combustion cycle bipropellant rocket engines, and use oxygen-rich preburners to drive the turbopumps. These kinds of burners are highly unusual, since their hot, oxygen-rich exhaust tends to attack metal, causing burn-through failures. The Soviets, however, perfected the metallurgy behind this method. The nozzle was constructed from corrugated metal, brazed to an outer and inner lining, giving a simple, light but strong structure. In addition, since the NK-33 uses LOX and kerosene, which have similar densities, a single rotating shaft could be used for both turbopumps.[3] Given its longer, heavier nozzle, the NK-43 ratio in vacuo is slightly heavier with a thrust-to-weight ratio of about 120:1.[4]
The oxygen-rich technology lives on in the RD-170/-171 engines, and their RD-180 and recently developed RD-191 derivatives.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

pentaiah wrote:We are way behind as per ISROs own schedule in launching geo stationary satellites vikaram Sarabhai projections were by 1980s we would have launch vehicle to do put insat class into orbit.

We missed the bus by going liquid O and Liquid H instead of kerosene route
This is the most successful sabotage against a large country by the western nations in the lsat 40 years.
By using tech regimes and denials and outright blocking of info and hi tech they have reduced the capablity of a large nation.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

correct it really delayed our geo synchronous program but the problem was not so much at making the engine rather at the cryogenic support technology which we had no experience but today most of it have been developed and perfected and hopefully the few bottlenecks will be cleared by this year end .
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

mk 2 is upgraded CAB 12 mk3 is fully indigenous but same testing and validation technology will be used .hence importance of mk 2
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Right. GSLV Mk2 will validate cryogenic technology. But Mk2's future is bleak as its payload capacity is limited. Mk3 will be the next workhorse after PSLV, used for 4-5 ton class INSATs, human spaceflights etc. Someone here had mentioned that once the semi cryo tech is mastered, the first stage Mk3 consisting of two vikas engines will be replaced with a single 2MN semi cryo engine. That will increase the payload of Mk3 and make it the work-mule of ISRO.
kvraghavaiah
BRFite

Post by kvraghavaiah »

It is already March. When will they test the GSLV MK2 Cryogenic Engine in higher altitude? I do not think it is possible to test and then study the parameters and finally check a new engine for real flight, integrate on GSLV and launch with in 3 months.

ISRO is lieing as usual. And this time anyone can understand that it is impossibvle to fly the GSLV by May. I think, it will be by July or August that ISRO can launch GSLV MK2 if everything goes successfully. Else..another 3-4 years. Radakrishnana had said on the occassion of the last failure that they will comeback with in a year. He is not able to comeback after 3 years.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Does anyone know how long it took the Chinese to develop the cryogenic technology, and what sort of assistance they had from the Russians? And how it compares with Indian efforts? Of course, comparisons between China and India are not legit, as someone pointed out, because of the immense resources the Chinese can infuse into a 'prestige' project like this, without any questioning, opposition or accountability. But it would be nice to see a comparison!
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

There has been enormous amounts of tech transfer from Russia to China. Rumor has it the ESA may help China build a new space station as well. Anyway almost all of China's current space program is based upon Russian technology. Right down to their astronauts(taikanauts?) space suits. Whoop tee do.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

ISRO plans a new high-resolution earth satellite
The Indian Space Research Organisation is to build a remote sensing satellite, Cartosat-3, capable of taking images of the earth with a resolution of 0.25 metres.
In the ‘Notes on Demands for Grants, 2013-2014’ from the Department of Space, which forms part of the budget documents presented to Parliament recently, Cartosat-3 figures as a separate item with an allocation of Rs. 10 crores. “Cartosat-3 is an advanced remote sensing satellite with enhanced resolution of 0.25 metre for cartographic applications and high-resolution mapping,” the document said.
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

But will ISRO be allowe to make these 0.25m resolution images public?
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

[quote="TSJones"]There has been enormous amounts of tech transfer from Russia to China. Rumor has it the ESA may help China build a new space station as well.

Thanks. And to the other issue about ISRO's launch dates, why are they almost always so far off? Why not instead say something like "It will be launched anytime in the next 6 months to one year" rather than announcing an Aug, followed by a Dec, then a Feb, a March, and now a May mission date? Don't get peoples' hopes up, there are serious fans out there who eagerly follow these statements. It is safe to say that the Nov launch date for the Mars mission will be pretty accurate, because of astronomical factors i.e position of the planet. But that seems to be an exception.