Mangalyaan: ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_23832
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Mangalyaan : ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

Post by member_23832 »

Thats fantastic, MOM becomes first indian spacecraft to leave earth, Congrats ISRO and all the Scientists involved in MOM who made this achievement possible
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

congrats
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Congratulations to ISRO.
As one would hear on the TV during launches: Parfarmance naarmal. :)
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Congratulations ISRO.

* Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operations completed successfully. The liquid engine burn time was 1328.89 sec and the imparted incremental velocity was 647.96 m/sec.
* Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operations in progress.
* Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operation began at 00:49 hrs (IST) on Sunday Dec 01, 2013.
* Forward rotation of spacecraft, to put it into the right orientation to perform Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operation has been completed successfully at 00:30 hrs IST on Dec 1, 2013
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Any confirmation that it's heading in the right interplanetary direction? :)
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

Congratulations ISRO. India is finally in interplanetary space. Cheers.
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

Yet another job done successfully.
Hawahhhhhh, good night guys.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

harbans wrote:Any confirmation that it's heading in the right interplanetary direction? :)
The orbital details show an accurate injection has been confirmed :lol: :rotfl:
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

SaiK wrote:

Code: Select all

Satellite ID    39370
Velocity (km/s)    1.550
Velocity (mi/s)    0.963
Latitude (°)    14.669
Longitude(°)    -95.255
Height (km)    121564.962
Height (mi)    75536.942
http://science.nasa.gov/iSat/

120k km approx to go for the sling shot?
The TELs are totally wrong for this
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Today I am delighted to welcome India into the ranks of interplanetary travelers. Today their Mars Orbiter Mission has successfully propelled itself onto an interplanetary trajectory, departing Earth forever and setting sail for Mars. No matter what happens to the spacecraft between now and next September, India has achieved interplanetary travel. Congratulations to India, to the Indian Space Research Organisation, to the mission's scientists and engineers, and to the people of India.

As reported on ISRO's website, the rocket burned for 1328.89 seconds to impart an incremental velocity of 647.96 m/sec.
What's next for the mission? According to a Press Trust of India article, the plan includes four trajectory correction maneuvers, the first happening on December 11. The rest are in April 2014, August 2014, and then 10 days before orbit insertion on September 14.

There are a lot of things that are challenging about space exploration. But some things are more hazardous than others. For this mission, the three most hazardous events were always the launch; the injection onto an interplanetary trajectory; and arrival at Mars. All three of these events have to go absolutely perfectly -- any problem would almost certainly mean failure of the mission. Mars Orbiter Mission has now successfully weathered two of the three biggest challenges. The last comes in September 2014, when the spacecraft will meet Mars.
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-la ... india.html
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

congrats to ISRO,
what a nice feeling as a pucca sdre! :D
after chandrayaan , now mangalyaan--> many more to follow.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Indian probe begins journey to Mars
India's PSLV rocket - the second choice for the mission after a beefier launcher failed - was not powerful enough to send the MOM on a direct flight to Mars.

So engineers opted for a method of travel called a Hohmann Transfer Orbit to propel the spacecraft from Earth to Mars with the least amount of fuel possible.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Thanks for all the updates..
Now for a time, nothing much to do but apart from any mid-course correction, wait till MOM reaches Mars.

One comment..
prasannasimha wrote:One way to look at it(the oberth effect) is a Gilli Dandu(Gilli Danda tick) where you hit the gilli first allow it to go up and at its "perigee" when its kinetic energy is maximum a simple flick will send the gilli flying .If you hit it at the apex of the gilli's flight when potential energy is maximum and kinetic energy is zer(aka apogee) you need to have a higher force .
I know analogies are never perfect, but, unless I am missing something I do not see the point of above. (Correct me if I am missing something)/

First, I do not think gilli behaves the way it is described above..(Gilli will start flying, and how fast will it fly depends more on how hard you hit. Whether the gilli at the apex or not has little effect. What is being missed?

I know people play golf and hit the ball from the tee when the KE is zero. Right?

Also many examples such as ....

When I push a child on a swing, ( my impulse contributing to the delta-V of the swing), I do it at one end, when PE is max and KE is virtually zero. When people bicycle (or sprint or drive) they peddle even on level surface, (and do not wait till they are at the bottom of the hill - and I am not sure if peddling hard ONLY when your speed is very high at the bottom of the hill is more effective ... IMO general experience is some what opposite)

The critical point, I think is, Oberth effect as you described is NOT valid for every kind of push.. it applies ONLY where a rocket engine is used. The point is travelling at high speed generates more useful energy than one at low speed .. (and remember we are talking about rockets engines... not other engines... BTW this is one of the reason why you do not too many rocket engines in cars or things which do not move fast. True, rocket engines are much more expensive but at low speed they are even less attractive than other kinds of engines)

(Ignore the rest post if not interested... it is simple basic physics and can be seen in any text book)

One way to think about this (Oberth effect) is it is because the propellant has more usable energy due to its kinetic energy on top of its chemical potential energy. Another way to think is - if the vehicle is not moving (or moving very slowly) the propellant (travelling at a very high speed) is using all/most of the energy. If the vehicle is moving fast, the propellant is moving slower. so KE of propellant is less than before, and the vehicle has more energy. (Propellant's relative speed wrt to vehicle is same as before, but obviously the propellant's speed with respect to outside world .. is slower -- for example if propellant is moving 1500 wrt to the vehicle which is moving at 1000 units..the propellant is moving only 500 units)...

Actually the effect would be even stronger if the exhaust speed is equal to the speed of the rocket...(The exhaust would be left without kinetic energy, so the total energy of the exhaust would be as low as its potential energy.....more of the kinetic energy will be imparted to the rocket and its payload and the less to its exhaust..)
shyamoo
BRFite

Post by shyamoo »

Amber G, facts shouldn't get in the way of a good story!!!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Amber G. wrote: Actually the effect would be even stronger if the exhaust speed is equal to the speed of the rocket...(The exhaust would be left without kinetic energy, so the total energy of the exhaust would be as low as its potential energy.....more of the kinetic energy will be imparted to the rocket and its payload and the less to its exhaust..)
Good explanations. The bold text is the goal.
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

Woweee! Semi finals won. Now for the finals. May the force be with MOM. 8)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Amber G. wrote:SriKumar - I may have misunderstood you .. let me read it carefully and then make a few comments..

Meanwhile, Bade's post as well as blog posting may be helpful
Srikumar and Bade's explanations seem to be correct. Same energy expenditure at once at the right time (when planets are aligned in our favor - I am not speaking astrologically but astronomically) will achieve the same path to Mars as the what is being attempted with MOM. Other considerations (like proofing the orbit raising maneuvers, C^3, etc.) might have taken precedence.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

In fact I also had some problems with pransannasimha's analogy. Directions, velocities, and forces are (3D) vectors. In fact in gulli -danDA, it is advantageous to hit the gulli when it has zero KE but high PE, i.e. when it is at it's zenith - in whichever direction you want - but at 45 degree angle up so that it can travel the farthest. This will maximize the distance "donga" (or chOr) has to bring the gulli back to the start.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

If you hit it at the top with the same flick you are adding gravity that arcs the fall but when you hit it at the bottom with the same flick it goes zooming at a much faster rate.(I was talking of the the way it accelerates)Of course the analogy is not perfect but it is something people who had played gilli danda were conversant with. Best thing do it with a gilli Danda !!
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Congrtas ISRO. Another milestone achieved.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

first time India leaving Earth's gravitational field!! history made!!
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

prasannasimha wrote:Of course the analogy is not perfect but it is something people who had played gilli danda were conversant with. Best thing do it with a gilli Danda !!
Boss, if you hit it vertically down at the lowest point, then it will go down and dig a deep hole in the ground. But then that is not the objective of the game, is it?

Yes, I have played the game in several variations under several names (unfortunately I do not remember now) innumerable number of times in my life. It is called "chirra gOni" in "telangANa", "g[iu]lli danDa" in the north. Unable to recall the name in Andhra region of AP :(. No idea about the name in TN, kEraLa, and karnATakA.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

matrimc wrote:
prasannasimha wrote:Of course the analogy is not perfect but it is something people who had played gilli danda were conversant with. Best thing do it with a gilli Danda !!
Boss, if you hit it vertically down at the lowest point, then it will go down and dig a deep hole in the ground. But then that is not the objective of the game, is it?

Yes, I have played the game in several variations under several names (unfortunately I do not remember now) innumerable number of times in my life. It is called "chirra gOni" in "telangANa", "g[iu]lli danDa" in the north. Unable to recall the name in Andhra region of AP :(. No idea about the name in TN, kEraLa, and karnATakA.
'Kuttiyum kolum' in Kerala IIRC.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

You will not be hitting the gilli vertically down - of course then it will dig a hole. You are bouncing off the gilli off the Danda in this case so the direction will reverse assuming a perfect elastic collision and the impulse given by the Danda immediately at the bounce

If bounced off the danda with the same velocity that it was going down with (in the upward direction, along with the addition of the same impulse as the top at 45 degrees or at similar angles at top and bottom (obviously not directed down into the ground !!),(this is an assumption being made so as to keep the two scenarios similar--so that the impulse adds on to previous energies in the same way and not negates them) it still travels a larger distance(neglecting air drag)
i.e if you give it an impulse at 45 degrees at the bounce(when the down velocity reverses due to the bounce)
it travels a distance of (I^2/(m^2*g))+(2*sqrt(h/g))*I/m
BUT if given the same impulse at the top, at the same 45 degrees, it travels a lesser distance which is given by
(I^2/(m^2*g))+(sqrt(h/g)*I/m)
Distances can also be calculated at any other angles including impulses parallel to the ground.

The satellite technically also "bounces " off the earth and it is nearly a 100 % elastic collision even though "direct contact does not occur"
Don't forget that it is intuitive to withdraw your hand and give a higher impulse at the top and a natural tendency to hit harder(anatomically better due to Frank Starling Law (physiology) applying because of obvious space constraints when trying to hit low down !!

But if you keep both situations exactly similar, then the difference arises.
Remember the firing occurs at the periapsis and the danda has to impart the impulse also at the time when the direction changes ie immediately after collision with the danda- you are forgetting that this is a collision occurring - you are not imparting the velocity to the gilli in the same direction as it was descending)
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Thanks Victor for posting the sketch of correct path that the MOM will take post TMI.

My Bad..
jahaju
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jahaju »

> Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operations completed successfully. The liquid engine burn time was 1328.89 sec and the imparted incremental velocity was 647.96 m/sec.
> Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operations in progress.
> Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operation began at 00:49 hrs (IST) on Sunday Dec 01, 2013.
> Forward rotation of spacecraft, to put it into the right orientation to perform Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operation has been completed successfully at 00:30 hrs IST on Dec 1, 2013

link
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Well done ISRO...
Got to be white knuckles..

Sabash. Ithu than seriiana potti.....
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Congratulations ISRO and fellow Indians! :D

Deep Space Perils For Indian Spacecraft
There's no turning back. India's Mars Orbiter Mission has left Earth orbit and is heading for the red planet. After a flourish of media coverage before and shortly after launch, attention on this mission is likely to fade for several months. The MOM now has a long journey to reach its destination. It will arrive at Mars in September 2014.

Despite the spotlight moving on, it should not be assumed that this phase of the mission will be uneventful. Hopefully, things will go well, but the risks should not be underestimated. This is the most adventurous space mission ever launched by India, and probably its most hazardous.

What could go wrong? MOM has already had a minor problem with a backup fuel system, but this was not a threat to the mission. The spacecraft seems generally healthy right now, and has survived some of the most stressful parts of its mission already.

Launch, deployment, checkout, engine burns and velocity changes have gone well. Nevertheless, the longer the mission stays in space, the higher the chance that some component will malfunction.

Then there's the environment. Interplanetary space holds dangers that do not always threaten spacecraft that stay close to Earth. There is a higher level of exposure to radiation and particles. Thermal stresses are also potentially higher. There's no shadow of the Earth or magnetic fields to protect the spacecraft. MOM is designed for these conditions but it will still need careful management.

Space is also unpredictable. Solar storms can throw particles into deep space that pose hazards for local satellites. In deep space, it can be even worse. Some deep space missions have been damaged by solar activity. Although we can monitor these outbursts, there is often nothing that can be done to protect a spacecraft from their influence.

The hazards of deep space gave rise to the legend of the Great Galactic Ghoul, a mythical monster that lurks in space and devours spacecraft. The Ghoul has been implicated in the loss of several missions, and seems very eclectic in its tastes. It eats spacecraft from America, Russia, Japan and other nations. Does the Ghoul like Indian food? It's never been tempted this way before. Hopefully it will not bite.

Surviving the journey is just one task now facing MOM. Some of the instruments could be used to measure conditions in deep space even before the spacecraft approaches Mars. This gives controllers practice and confirms the successful operation of the experiments. It also boosts the scientific return. Most of this activity will not grab headlines but it will steadily chalk up the overall performance of MOM.

If the mission attracts little media coverage for the next few months, it will probably be a positive rather than a negative. It will probably mean that no surprises have developed. In the hazardous environment of interplanetary space, no news is usually good news.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

great work, now long wait awaits us
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Congrats ISRO and congrats to all Bharatiyas :)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

prasannasimha wrote:You will not be hitting the gilli vertically down - ...
Chalo ji, let me sleep on it.

Once more - well done ISRO and India.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Congratulations, ISRO. :)
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

SSSalvi wrote:Thanks Victor for posting the sketch of correct path that the MOM will take post TMI.

My Bad..
where is this post. I cannot seem to find it.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Image MOM position after slingshot
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Used NASA eyes to make this image
symontk
BRFite