India-US Strategic News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Post by UlanBatori »

FYI: Remember Ms. Monica Lewinsky, tied to POTUS Slick Willie? The story first broke when ML confided in an older wimmens working in the Fed Govt, and that person recorded the conversations and leaked it to the media. It turned out that the story was 400% genuine: Slick Willie was, well, getting "serviced" inside the Oval Office.

Do you remember what happened to the woman who leaked the info? She was arrested and charged with illegal wiretap, mail fraud, wire fraud, intercepting privileged conversations, violating ML's First Amendment Rights... u name it. Ruined her.

So the SR letter may be totally genuine, and delivers powerful evidence. BUT.. possessing it is like being proud owner of a soosai vest with a free cellphone tied to it.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Well... serious point now: The problem with that report is that it is by DK's sis. Hardly constitutes unbiased evidence. The handwritten letter is certainly evidence, but I would like to know HOW DK's sis came to have it. That piece of info is critical, to avoid being blindsided. If it turns out that SR's letters were intercepted/censored, that backfires very badly. The Rediff report says the letter was "to her family". Whose family? DK's sis, or to SR's family? If the latter, how can DK's sis have it? Also the letter has no salutation, no date, no place, so we are not seeing Page 1?
UB, details will be easy enough to find out. I am going to ask and see what was actually filed by PB, and get any public information (or which I can request and get) because I am curious.

Meanwhile my guess, (looking at the letter..SR says roughly : " Let us talk by Yahoo mail .I try very hard to write in English, but it is very hard for me..)..

1. Letter, obviously, was hand written, and not written electronically in Yahoo mail in Hindi. Apparently she did not know how to use yahoo mail in Hindi. (Her computer/email use was taught by someone who is not proficient in Hindi - like her amriki friends or Indian consulate babus who do not like to write in anIndian language..)

2. Looks like it was a routine letter, hand written, then scanned (aka faxed) and sent via yahoo email as an attachment ... it is quite normal in my view. (I have done that many times)

3. It may not be a letter sent, but just some hand written notes (eg diary)
added later: scratch that - the letter is definitely a letter and not a diary.
Last edited by Amber G. on 27 Jan 2014 08:04, edited 2 times in total.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

UB wrote:Well... serious point now: The problem with that report is that it is by DK's sis. Hardly constitutes unbiased evidence. The handwritten letter is certainly evidence, but I would like to know HOW DK's sis came to have it. That piece of info is critical, to avoid being blindsided.
Here you go UB. It was not a letter. It was a page from SR's diary that she had left in DK's house, when she absconded suddenly.

Devyani maid’s diary says Khobragades are nice
Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade's maid Sangeeta Richard had described her employer's family as "nice" in her dairy. She maintained that she got free time because Devyani and her husband managed the work most of the time. Devyani's cousin, Sunil Khobragade produced a page in Hindi from Sangeeta's diary exclusively for The Sunday Guardian. He said that Devyani had found the diary in Sangeeta's room when she left her residence in June without informing them.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

Devyani has always been on the right side of the law, says sister Sharmistha
Devyani was bound by the contract to pay Sangeeta 9.75 USD per hour. She agreed to pay part of this in Indian rupees (Rs 30,000, to be precise) to meet Sangeeta’s family’s needs in India. The other part (after deducting Rs 30,000) was to be made in the US to Sangeeta directly in dollars. Devyani fulfilled both these financial obligations, in India and in the US. I can not divulge the details here because they will be revealed at the trial. But rest assured, requisite payment in dollars was made.
I hope these get divulged and widely publicized. I doubt if the scumbags, that is the US media, will publish this and if the over zealous attorney and state department will apologize for the screwup anytime now or in the future.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I messaged Sharmishta Khobragade on Facebook and asked her how she got the letter - oh just saw the message above
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Chanakya's translation of that last sentence is
I try very hard to speak in English but don’t know why I am not able to speak and forget.
I can't make out the words to decide whether she means write or speak.

OK! So it is actually a page out of the diary (why does she write in the yahoo mail address in her diary?), and I guess the diary does become publishable evidence if it is abandoned by someone who goes missing or AWOL. Now PB's only refuge is that this was back in Dec. 2012, 1 month after the Slave was brought to America. And THEN the torture began - long days with nothing to do but watch American TV, or worse, SRK movies on ASIANET!!! :(( A take-home salary that was less than what a deputy Consul or a Sr. software engineer made!! How :shock:
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

rgsrini wrote:
UB wrote:Well... serious point now: The problem with that report is that it is by DK's sis. Hardly constitutes unbiased evidence. The handwritten letter is certainly evidence, but I would like to know HOW DK's sis came to have it. That piece of info is critical, to avoid being blindsided.
Here you go UB. It was not a letter. It was a page from SR's diary that she had left in DK's house, when she absconded suddenly.

.., Sunil Khobragade produced a page in Hindi from Sangeeta's diary exclusively for The Sunday Guardian. He said that Devyani had found the diary in Sangeeta's room when she left her residence in June without informing them.
[/quote]

The image shown in Rediff (linked by UB) is almost definitely a letter and NOT a page from a diary.
It is addressed to particular person and not a piece written in a typical diary page.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Here is another source which points that it was a letter:
Devyani episode..

Most likely there may be diary as well as a letter where she has said similar things. It is wrong to assume that there is only one such document.

Also:
FWIW:
RSN Singh, a former military intelligence officer who served in the Research & Analysis Wing and a bogger - guest with - Canary Trap) writes..

Was Devyani’s maid an American Spy?
Spy game gone wrong?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Can't say. Maybe she wrote in a diary, scanned pages and sent them as email attachment or via FB, instead of trying to type. I think we need a second opinion on the translation, please, no disrespect intended to chanakya. We need a precise translation, not a summary. Line by line. If it is Hindi, parts of it are colloquial, beyond my limited vocabulary.

AmberG? shiv?

P.S. Since it is way past 10:10 PM in Northern Himachal, it is time the slaves here also went to sleep. But b4 I go, I just want to point out that it was writing in a diary that proved the undoing of Tricky D1ck Nixon too.
Reminds me of the court case where the judge delivered his judgement thus:
Will the defendant rise?
It is my judgement that this should be a lesson to you on the evil of drink.
It was DRINK that made you intoxicated.
It was DRINK that made you go and get your shotgun.
It was DRINK that made you load it.
It was DRINK that made you point it at your mother-in-law
It was DRINK that made you pull the trigger.
And it was DRINK that made you miss!

Writing in diaries can really upset the most carefully-concocted scams, with all those slick ambu-chasers, SD Ophishials, Marshalls and PBs.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Multi-lingual hindi speaker here -- if I am allowed out of my cave temporarily.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Bliss to come out of cave and read & translate. May your goats drop droppings bountifully from their full cavities..
And if there are other pages/letters, hope someone publishes them.
member_26011
BRFite

Post by member_26011 »

Media reported, eg 1/15, that negotiations were ongoing between Burns and the ambassador. I am curious if anyone knows whether they have concluded and what, if any, has been done about tax violations by American embassy personnel or their significant others at AES? Also, is Ashrack hired by India or DK?

SSridhar was first, framing the issue here in terms of immunity, illegality of arrest and search, reciprocity and rapid reciprocity, afaik, followed by anmol's amazing scoop. But this seem to have given way to particular nuances of the "trial." What is GoIs position on it. It could be helpful if someone from MEA clarified as the moment approaches.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

I don't think tax violations by AES are negotiable. Tax has to be paid.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

UlanBatori wrote:Bliss to come out of cave and read & translate. May your goats drop droppings bountifully from their full cavities..
And if there are other pages/letters, hope someone publishes them.
The devanagri (including devanagri of her english words):
-------------------
रोज माँ से यही दुआ करके सोती हूँ । आज हमें पूरी तरह से मैडम को अपना घर मिल गया है । ४३ २ एवेन्यु न्योर्क में पीम१ हाउस ही २४ नं में है । और २४ मंजिल पर है । चार बैडरूम हैं बड़े २ रूम बड़ा सा हाल है नीचे दो रूम हैं ऊपर दो रूम हैं । मेरा रूम अलग है और नीचे मैडम की बड़ी बेटी आम्या का रूम मेरे साथ है । और ये पूरी फैमिली ही बहुत अच्छी है । मुझे बिलकुल भी नहीं लगता की मैं इनकी नौकर हूँ । मैडम भी बहुत अच्छी हैं और हर समय हंसती रहती हैं । सर बहुत समझदार हैं । काफी हद तक काम को संभाल लेते हैं । जिससे मुझे काफी टाइम मिल जाता है । १४-१५ दिन हम फिर दूसरे होटल मैं रुके जिसका नाम था बिकमैन होटल जो ४९ स्ट ३ एव पर जहां से बहुत सुन्दर-२ बिल्डिंग दिखती हैं । १७/१२/१२ को हम नए घर में आये हैं । अभी रात के १०:१० मिनट हो रहे हैं और अब मैं सोने जा रही हूँ सुघरी जब सर मुझे सिम दिला देंगे तो मैं तुम से फेसबूक पर बातें करूंगी ।

संगीता रिचर्ड एट याहू डॉट कौम पर बातें करेंगे । मैं बहुत कोशिश करती हूँ कि में इंगलिश बोलूं पर पता नहीं क्यों नहीं बोल पाती और भूल जाती हूँ ।

सो बैड :(

संगीता
------------------------------------
Literal translation in english:
------------------------------------
Everyday sleep and pray to mother . Today we got madam's home completely 43 2nd Avenue in Newyork PM 1st House is in No. 24 and is on the 24th floor . Four bedrooms , two room spacious hall. Two large rooms are down stairs . My room is separate and the eldest daughter of Madam Amya's room is downstairs next with me. And the whole family is very nice . I do not think at all that I am their servant. Madam also very nice and keeps laughs all the time . Sir is very sensible . Largely takes care of things . Which gives me plenty of time. For 14-15 days we stay at the other hotel it was named the 49th St. 3rd Ave Bikman where the buildings looks very nice . Since 12.17.12 we have been in the new house . At 10:10 hours the night and now I 'm going to be when Sir soon gets me a sim, I 'll talk to you on Facebook .

we can talk at Sangeeta Richard at yahoo dot com . I try to speak in English and forget why could not speak .

So bad : (

Sangeeta

-----------------
corrected translation, probably suitable for notarization:
-----------
Everyday I pray to mother before I go to sleep. Today we got to madam's permanent home 43rd 2nd Avenue in New york PM1(sic) House is No. 24 and is on the 24th floor. There are four bedrooms and a two room spacious hall. Two large rooms are down stairs. My room is separate, and the madam's eldest daughter Amya's room is downstairs next to me. And the whole family is very nice . I do not think at all that I am their servant. Madam is also very nice and keeps laughing all the time. Sir is very sensible and largely takes care of things which gives me plenty of time. For 14-15 days we stayed at the other hotel it was named the 49th St. 3rd Ave Bikman Hotel where the buildings outside look very nice . Since 12.17.12 we have been in the new house. It is 10:10 hours in the night and now I 'm going sleep. When Sir soon gets me a SIM, I 'll talk to you on Facebook.

We can talk at Sangeeta Richard at yahoo dot com . I try to speak in English but often forget and don't know why I couldn't.

Sangeeta

-------------
Have at it.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

UlanBatori wrote:Can't say. Maybe she wrote in a diary, scanned pages and sent them as email attachment or via FB, instead of trying to type. I think we need a second opinion on the translation, please, no disrespect intended to chanakya. We need a precise translation, not a summary. Line by line. If it is Hindi, parts of it are colloquial, beyond my limited vocabulary.

AmberG? shiv?

A few comments. One linnk with a translation of the letter quotes Sangeeta saying "after master gives me a SIM card". The word she has written in Hindi is "Sir" not master.

Another weird thing. People of my generation all the way down to children who grew up in India in the 90s have been consistently taught cursive writing (joined-up writing in English). In the UK in the 1980s I was fascinated to see that children (and adults) tended to write every letter separate - exactly as Sangeeta Richard has done. Now I don;t know what is taught in the US but I suspect she has been taught to write English by a person who was not taught English in India.

There are minor differences between her cursive hand and most of the other words she writes in English, but the pen is the same and I doubt of the differences are significant. The lady seems familiar with Facebook and is writing to someone who also appears to know about Facebook In India that is not common except among the English speaking elite and among the young (20 or less)

As far as I can tell this is what the letter says
--roz maa se yahi dua karke soti hoon. Aaj hamey poori tarah se madam ko apna ghar mil gaya hai. (strange construct here - "hamey" and "madam ko" together clubs hesrelf jointly with madam, and not separately) 43rd 2nd Anenue mey "PM 1 (?) house ". Hai. 24 number mein hai. Aur 24 majil (?) par hai. Char bedroom hai bade 2 room bada sa hole (hall??) hai. Neeche do room hai, oopar do room hai. Mera room alag hai. Aur neeche ka (?) hai. Madam ki badi beti Aabhya (??) ka room mere hi saath hai aur yeh poori family hi bahut acchi hai. Mujhe bilkul bhi nahin lagta ki main inke naukar hoon. Bacche mujhe tayi kehte hain (Sangeetatayi kehte hain. Madam bhi bahut acchi hai. Aur har samay hansti rehti hai. Sir bahut samajhdar hai. kaaphi (?) ?? kaam ko ??? lete hain. Jissey mujhe kaaphi time mil jaata hai. 14 15 din hum phir doosray (wriiten as 2sray) hotel mein ??? jiska naam tha Beekman hotel jo 49 East St 3rd Ave (written in English - American style) par jahan se bahut sundar 2 building dikhti hai. 17/12/12 ko hum naye ghar mein aaye hain. Abhi raat ke 10 10 minute ho rahey hain aur main ab soney ja rahi hoon. ???? jab sir mujhey SIM dila denge to main tumse Facebook par baat karoongi.

Sangeeta Richard@ Yahoo.com par batey karangey. Main bahut koshish karti hoon ki main English boloon par pata nahin kya nahin boli paati. Aur bhool jaati hon. So bad. Sangeeta.
Last edited by shiv on 27 Jan 2014 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

Sangeeta is from Kerala. It is strange that she maintained her diary in Hindi.
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Those bases would also be too distant to monitor and respond as quickly as American forces can today if there were a crisis in the region, such as missing nuclear material or weapons in Pakistan and India.
Afghanistan Exit Is Seen as Peril to Drone Mission

I don't think India every requested the US to do such a thing. India should develop its own capacity if it hasn't already vis-a-vis procedures that would not be undertaken if such an eventuality occurs.
Last edited by Roperia on 27 Jan 2014 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

a_bharat wrote:Sangeeta is from Kerala. It is strange that she maintained her diary in Hindi.
And she writes Hindi like a person who regularly writes in Hindi, not like I do. Maybe she grew up in the North? Her facial appearance does not exclude Kerala. It is her English writing that fascinates me. That is not the writing of a person with an Indian teacher.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

^^Good observation Shiv. If I am not mistaken, the word "English" in her letter is different from other english words. This (word "English") has some cursives in it, like how we do it in India.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

vic wrote:I don't think tax violations by AES are negotiable. Tax has to be paid.
Taxes assesses or unpaid are not negotiable. Attracts interests too.If it is by assessing officer then it is an economic offense bt if it is intentional, planned and conspired to cheat and commit fraud then it is criminal and liable for jail term as well besides recovery of taxes and penalties.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

shiv wrote:
a_bharat wrote:Sangeeta is from Kerala. It is strange that she maintained her diary in Hindi.
And she writes Hindi like a person who regularly writes in Hindi, not like I do. Maybe she grew up in the North? Her facial appearance does not exclude Kerala. It is her English writing that fascinates me. That is not the writing of a person with an Indian teacher.
The hindi is mother-tongue quality, certainly first and main language.

There is evidence and admission that no other language spokrn or written may be as conveniuent. This is quite strange. Either the husband or the wife has northern cultural ties and no relationship to the south or proficiency in the second preferred language --english. any other language would come thurd. Primary education of thius individual was in hindi. there are too many signs -- sentence composition, letter composition, periods, grammar, vocabulary.

your new high school graduate would use much more mother tongue words gammar and english words. this kerala business is suspicious. most north indians cant write hindi this way today.

ps -- yes, back to my cave. sorry.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Thanks to googleasware ... here is google (machine) translation... a little funny but better than one may expect..:)

Done specially for UB in Mangolian:
Унтаж Rose , ээж залбирдаг. Өнөөдөр бид бүрэн Хатагтай гэрт болсон юм. Nyork Pim 1-р ордонд 43 2-р гудамж № 24 -д байна. Мөн 24 давхарт юм. Дөрвөн унтлагын өрөө , хоёр өрөө 2 өрөө хоёр том өрөө сүүлийн үед доош нь цэлгэр байна. Миний өрөөний өөр, надтай хамт өрөөнд доош хатагтай Amya ууган охин юм. Тэгээд бүхэл бүтэн гэр бүл их сайхан байдаг. Би ер нь би тэдний албат гэж бодохгүй байна. Форум нь маш сайхан, инээв бүх цаг хадгалдаг. Сэр , маш ухаалаг юм. Дээрх зүйлийг анхаарах хэрэгтэй. Аль нь надад хангалттай хугацаа өгдөг. Барилгын -2 маш сайхан харагддаг бол бид би үлдсэн бусад зочид буудалд очиж 14-15 өдөр 49th Санкт- 3-р өргөн чөлөө Bikman нэртэй байсан. 12.17.12 Бид шинэ байшинд байсан юм. 10:10 цагаас шөнө , одоо би Сэр Sugri SIM намайг бүү хэзээ болох гэж байна , би Facebook та нарт ярих болно.

Sangeeta яахуу цэг арьсны өнгө нь Richard ярилцах болно. Би англи хэл дээр ярьж оролдож , яагаад ярьж чадахгүй мартаж болно.

Тэгээд муу : (

хамтрагчтайгаа
For others who do not speak Mangolian, Here is English...
Everyday sleep and pray to mother . Today we got her home completely madam . 43 2nd Avenue in Nyork Pim 1st House is in No. 24 . And is on the 24th floor . Four bedrooms , two rooms are spacious 2 -room Two large rooms are down lately . My room is different and the eldest daughter of Madame Amya down the room with me . And the whole family is very nice . I do not think at all that I am their servant . Madam also very nice and keeps laughs all the time . Sir , are very sensible . Largely take care of things . Which gives me enough time . 14-15 day we go to the other hotel I stayed was named the 49th St. 3rd Ave Bikman where the building looks very nice -2 . 12.17.12 We have been in the new house . At 10:10 hours the night and now I 'm going to be when Sir Sugri sim will let me , I 'll talk to you on Facebook .

Sangeeta will talk to Richard at yahoo dot race . I 'll try to speak in English and forget why could not speak .

Companion
Or.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

UlanBatori wrote:Chanakya's translation of that last sentence is
I try very hard to speak in English but don’t know why I am not able to speak and forget.
I can't make out the words to decide whether she means write or speak.

OK! So it is actually a page out of the diary (why does she write in the yahoo mail address in her diary?), and I guess the diary does become publishable evidence if it is abandoned by someone who goes missing or AWOL. Now PB's only refuge is that this was back in Dec. 2012, 1 month after the Slave was brought to America. And THEN the torture began - long days with nothing to do but watch American TV, or worse, SRK movies on ASIANET!!! :(( A take-home salary that was less than what a deputy Consul or a Sr. software engineer made!! How :shock:
UBji,

It is "Speak" as in "talk" or "converse" and not as in " write"
That translation was on the spur of the moment and reflects meaning correctly though it could have been improved. Though one translation in a newspaper came closer to the correct meaning.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

this kerala business is suspicious. most north indians cant write hindi this way today
True. I would guess a more Bombay (Konkan/Mangalorean or if Kerala, settled ,schooled and grew up in Mumbai) type with Hindi as the spoken language and maybe schooled in that as well. DK would have hired her for that kind of cultural proximity and probably knowledge of Marathi as well.

That said, this focus on SR and her husband is moot. The focus should be more on the US Pakiness in giving them a T visa and bringing in human trafficking charges initially when the more appropriate ones of wage dispute and probably misstatements in visa application are probably more appropriate. That would knock the grounds of a T visa issuance in the first place. So, dont know if the Trafficking charge was included to facilitate the T visa, and if so , why or, the "evacuation" was a consequence of the T visa. There lies the conundrum / chicken and egg and motive kind of thing to examine.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Shreeman wrote:
shiv wrote: And she writes Hindi like a person who regularly writes in Hindi, not like I do. Maybe she grew up in the North? Her facial appearance does not exclude Kerala. It is her English writing that fascinates me. That is not the writing of a person with an Indian teacher.
The hindi is mother-tongue quality, certainly first and main language.

There is evidence and admission that no other language spokrn or written may be as conveniuent. This is quite strange. Either the husband or the wife has northern cultural ties and no relationship to the south or proficiency in the second preferred language --english. any other language would come thurd. Primary education of thius individual was in hindi. there are too many signs -- sentence composition, letter composition, periods, grammar, vocabulary.

your new high school graduate would use much more mother tongue words gammar and english words. this kerala business is suspicious. most north indians cant write hindi this way today.

Valid points. Her Hindi is first class. No errors as far as I can tell and some letters like "ka" written like an expert and not like a school child. This lady was certainly "well groomed". Who groomed her and in what would be an interesting question to search for answers. Judging from the multiple point contact her family had with the US embassy and the very "foreign" English writing I am guessing she was groomed in Englsih by someone in the US embassy - hey maybe even that tax evading visa-lying US embassy school.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

That format is not of diary but of a letter and seems to be in continuation of first page.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

he hindi is mother-tongue quality, certainly first and main language.

Agree with that but let me add some minor points which struck me: (It may be just some rambling on my part but it is late and hope it is okay.. If inappropriate I'll delete it)

1. Slightly wrong spellings of words like "Hall" (= "hall" written as "होल" and not "हाळ") as some uneducated people from Gujarat/Rajasthan/UP area will say the word...

2. She does not have a Facebook account yet but hope to open it but is not sure what exactly is Facebook.. (Talks about after getting a sim card , she will talk on Face book)

3. She thinks Mr (or Dr) Richard is very bright/sensible and very helpful which makes her work easy (or help her in house-work).. she says has plenty of free time because of this.

4. The "prayer" is for some specific purpose (it looks like page 2 of the letter).. she does not use the word "प्रार्थना" but a Persian origin word "दुआ" a word more common for Christians to use, not for general kind of prayer before bed, but asking/praying for a specific purpose. (What was she asking "mother"?

5. I don't think she speaks any other language (other than Hindi/English)...the quality of the language is like the first language.. and it does not have borrowings of other Indian Language..
(She has not spent significant time in Kerla or south India .. I don't even see Marathi or Gujrati influence)
Last edited by Amber G. on 27 Jan 2014 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
member_26011
BRFite

Post by member_26011 »

Here are some direct connections:

Shakti Vahini -> Vital Voices-> Avon Foundation -> Department of State.
Question is whether May was a liaison to SV for trafficking.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Amber G. wrote:Thanks to googleasware ... here is google (machine) translation... a little funny but better than one may expect..:)

For others who do not speak Mangolian, Here is English...
Everyday sleep and pray to mother . Today we got her home completely madam . 43 2nd Avenue in Nyork Pim 1st House is in No. 24 . And is on the 24th floor . Four bedrooms , two rooms are spacious 2 -room Two large rooms are down lately . My room is different and the eldest daughter of Madame Amya down the room with me . And the whole family is very nice . I do not think at all that I am their servant . Madam also very nice and keeps laughs all the time . Sir , are very sensible . Largely take care of things . Which gives me enough time . 14-15 day we go to the other hotel I stayed was named the 49th St. 3rd Ave Bikman where the building looks very nice -2 . 12.17.12 We have been in the new house . At 10:10 hours the night and now I 'm going to be when Sir Sugri sim will let me , I 'll talk to you on Facebook .

Sangeeta will talk to Richard at yahoo dot race . I 'll try to speak in English and forget why could not speak .

Companion
Or.
yeah it is quite funny but workable.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Amber G. wrote:
4. The "prayer" is for some specific purpose (it looks like page 2 of the letter).. she does not use the word "प्रार्थना" but a Persian origin word "दुआ" a word more common for Christians to use, not for general kind of prayer before bed, but asking/praying for a specific purpose. (What was she asking "mother"?
Mother Mary
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

From the photograph (unless heavily photoshopped) and from the text translations, she does not strike me as Mallu (certainly not born/brought up) - probably anywhere north of mangalore to UP, Punjab/Haryana etc. my own feeling is of some link to Punjab. Definitely coached by someone foreign in basic English at some point, probably recently. Schooling in my opinion was basic and probably incomplete... Can't speak about her Hindi grasp cause I know jack myself...
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ Yes it is Mother Mary, but she says "She asks/prays for that onlee (यही)"
Anand K
BRFite

Post by Anand K »

I forgot if anybody IDed her church? Catholic? Orthodox?
Hardcore EJs think of Mother Mary as worse than the Wh0re of Babylon - probably as an avatar of Semiramis or even Ishtar/Isis.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

There are many keralites settled in various parts of Naarth and western India in various occupations mainly as nurses , Nuns and domestic helpers in babuz household ( most likely in SR case). They and their children are taught Hindi in school , both speak and write almost like natives. SR could have Kerala link but brought up either in Mumbai or Delhi ( use of 'sir' and 'madam' is dead giveaway). The letter written by her indicates that she had schooling in Hindi at least upto +2 level. letter is in colloquial format.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^True... Could be Mallu origin, but born and brought up elsewhere in north in areas mentioned... But my feeling is that she isn't. First of all, if she was, some Mallu newspaper would have dug out her origins in no time... So far as I know that hasn't happened. If you know the Mallu media, that would be nothing short of a miracle of sainthood quality - if in fact she is a Mallu or Mallu origin. I could be wrong of course, and may simply not have seen the reporting on that. Some English-language newspapers linked here have claimed that she is from Kerala, but have not provided any factual back-up. There are tons of Mallus who are settled elsewhere in the country and speaking Hindi or other local languages like natives, etc... plenty of family members even. Several can't even speak Malayalam.

Like I said, it's a gut feeling that's she's not from just reading, behaviour patterns, from the photographs, etc. BTW, she does not seem like "mainstream" Christian - i.e. Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox... though Catholic offshoot is a possiblity.

Isn't it curious that there is no detailing of Sangeeta Richard or Philip Richard's origin and background in the media? Devyani Khobragade has been far more closely examined...
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

Her Hindi is good although she is certainly no Munshi Premchand. The very fact that she chose to write that letter to her family in Hindi tells me that she is a native speaker of Hindi. Also, I think it is quite possible that the media made a mistake about her being from Kerala. So where is she from?
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

She may be CNI (Church of North India), their services are in Hindi, I think.

If she is basically member of CSI in bangalore, Kerala, then upon her shifting to Dehli, she automatically becomes member of CNI.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

regarding SR and English - all she is saying is :

- will chat (baatein karenge') on sangeeta.richard@yahoo.com

Next few lines literally are "I put in quite some effort to speak in English but dont know why, I am not able to.And then I forget"

Though probably she means, "I resolve/attempt (koshish) to speak in English but then am not able to; and then forget (this resolve)."
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

One possibility that we are all overlooking is that SR might just be a local Dilli girl, native Hindi speaker, (I would put odds on her being Daleeet) who took on her husband's last name. That can explain a lot of this , especially if she did a lot of R&D on Daleet and oppression and this and that to the Safe Horizon folks , which will fit in perfectly with the stereotype narrative they have ingrained and perpetuated of "Upper Caste" elite oppressing Daleeet and the white folk's burden to do away with this "injustice" /whatever and would have played brilliantly in the press and public opinion and in front of Congress and most importantly a jury if it went to trial.

Trouble, is the target herself turned out to be more "Daleet than the Daleet" and it backfired.
TKiran
BRFite

Post by TKiran »

vina wrote:One possibility that we are all overlooking is that SR might just be a local Dilli girl, native Hindi speaker, (I would put odds on her being Daleeet) who took on her husband's last name. That can explain a lot of this , especially if she did a lot of R&D on Daleet and oppression and this and that to the Safe Horizon folks , which will fit in perfectly with the stereotype narrative they have ingrained and perpetuated of "Upper Caste" elite oppressing Daleeet and the white folk's burden to do away with this "injustice" /whatever and would have played brilliantly in the press and public opinion and in front of Congress and most importantly a jury if it went to trial.

Trouble, is the target herself turned out to be more "Daleet than the Daleet" and it backfired.
If SR was a 'daleet' and this much educated, intelligent, she would have been working as a sarkari babu/bobby. She would not be 'Nanny'. She is so intelligent that she could trick the entire SD into believing her and they raped DK, and even after 45 days the news has not died down. PB promised to bring DK to Amirkhan's justice, but has failed. Still he is hoping that that the case would be open for 13 years, so that he can rape DK again. What a pervert.
Last edited by TKiran on 27 Jan 2014 12:36, edited 1 time in total.