Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Singha »

D-link is pretty good. I use a combined wifi+adsl and its solved all my issues with the old airtel provided beetel 220. connection never hangs or goes into dns unresolved state now.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Same here. I bought my Netgear ADSL modem cum router (WiFi & Ethernet) when I returned Airtel's Beetel 220 in Delhi. Using here now with the BSNL connection.
So, the device is in 8th year running now.
On weekdays when I'm working from home, it is on between 8AM through midnight. For Weekends, I do a hard reboot after I log off in the Friday evenings (working from home) and it remains switched on till Monday morning.
No issues.

For DNS problems, please use OpenDNS servers, in preference over your ISP supplied ones.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

RamaY enable MAC filtering and only allow the household devices to be able to join the network, also in advanced routers you can select the band (G/N etc etc) check you device's frequency and choose accordingly . I have Maruti 800 class Beetel which Airtel guys give by default it comes loaded with airtel bloatware and I have to restart it every week or so.

Btw on other front MBP has been snagged by the wifey , it is now being used for playing Candy crush saga, with our puppy in her lap even that bugger gets to touch the keypad with it's paws.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

MAC filtering with WPA2 and firewall active.
It takes few minutes to spoof MAC addresses using Wireshark and Aircrack combination.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

wah ustaad, aap ka to level hi aur hai..iphone in hand, MBP in bag, alivio rear derailleur.

here I am told my crumbling thinkpad is due for refresh next yr , if supplies of MBP are available at the time I can go for it, else the next iteration of the fading thinkpad franchise....and to get an early replacement now needs VP level approval !! there is a feeding frenzy in kampus everytime MBP comes in stock with IT, everyone is ditching the lenovos as fast as they can drum up some excuse for a refresh. things got so bad, they have a policy that new hires will only be given thinkpad, not the iCheesecake. :rotfl:
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

GD MBPs being given in a COY as big as yours in India is a big deal, usually MBPs are only a start up only affair in India. T4XX is the standard issue here in our India division too. MBP is only available outside India.

Speaking of device I seriously think that BYOD should be made a norm for two reasons , first it allows an individual to get what he/she is comfortable with (obviously everyone gets a fixed budget and extra charges come from employee pocket for e.g. SSD) secondly there is a huge corruption going on in all IT companies in India in procurement division, I personally know this because when I get an extra mouse for travel or got my keyboard replaced after a year the invoices are billed to respective department , I was surprised to find that part costs were more than twice the cost of same part in the market. I just don't get it IT companies deal in bulk the cost of devices should be actually far lesser than the MRP.
Last edited by negi on 15 Jun 2014 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

One thing I've noticed amongst video and photo people is their near unanimous preference for fruit company. It isn't a status symbol for these people who own gear in the thousands of dollars to support a five hundred dollar I phone or a Mac but Apple makes it easy for them. Yes it's expensive but when you build fast up-to-date machines, the difference is marginal and the added support from Apple wins.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Artistic people love fruit devices primarily because it comes already loaded with decent multimedia SW for eg. Garageband (you can literally do everything using this SW it is not upto par with expensive SW tailored for pros but it does it's job.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Yeah but professionals prefer Photoshop/Lightroom and Final Cut Pro which cost money apart from the mac system itself, which they could just as easily get windows versions (except final cut pro). That's my point.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

vina wrote:
pandyan wrote:For some reason mb dont have hdmi out. This is probably 1 big reason preventing me from switching over
Yes. My MBP does (15" retina, i7 quad core, late 2013/early 2014 with the latest chipset). But then, this HDMI out is nothing a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (which I am sure Phroot will sell online) will not fix , which will make sure that Mahdi in heaven smiles approvingly with Phroot's cash register goes ka-ching!
That's the top of the line mac. Vina saar is running earthquake simulations looks like :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

yama r, check the latest asus dual band high bandwidth wifi router. excellent one!

a bit pricey though... but ton of good stuff - range, bandwidth, security, specs, etc
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Prasad wrote:
vina wrote: Yes. My MBP does (15" retina, i7 quad core, late 2013/early 2014 with the latest chipset). But then, this HDMI out is nothing a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (which I am sure Phroot will sell online) will not fix , which will make sure that Mahdi in heaven smiles approvingly with Phroot's cash register goes ka-ching!
That's the top of the line mac. Vina saar is running earthquake simulations looks like :)
Woh stock market ko hila ke rakh dengay :wink:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

cloud computing and NAS storage are always vulnerable topics.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Prasad wrote:One thing I've noticed amongst video and photo people is their near unanimous preference for fruit company. It isn't a status symbol for these people who own gear in the thousands of dollars to support a five hundred dollar I phone or a Mac but Apple makes it easy for them. Yes it's expensive but when you build fast up-to-date machines, the difference is marginal and the added support from Apple wins.
There is also the weight of tradition. A long time ago, Apple Mac was definitely superior to PC when it came to desktop publishing, graphic design, photoshop, video editing etc. For instance, photoshop was originally developed for Mac only and not available on PC until like version 2.5 or so. Color management is an important issue when dealing with colors rendered on various digital devices like scanners, cameras, monitors etc. and colors rendered on print devices like offset presses, film media etc. Apple computers came with color management/color matching tools installed by default since early 90s, a feature not available on Windows until something like 2001 and the Windows XP color management tool was itself not written by Microsoft, but was written by Apple/Heidelberg. Microsoft finally did write a color management tool called Windows Color System, which was introduced with Windows Vista, which is fairly recent. Desktop publishing stuff like PageMaker, QuarkXPress, Linotype, PostScript support etc. were supported on Mac long before PCs and Apple wasn't shy about pushing their advantages to art schools a long time back.

Therefore, a lot of art schools bought macs for use in the classroom for these reasons. As a result of this, a whole generation of video and photo people were taught to work on macs and they spread their influence on the newer generations as well. Now, even though PC hardware and software have caught up, Apple still dominates in this sector because of tradition.
Last edited by ArmenT on 15 Jun 2014 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Raja Bose wrote:But not the once in a year employee usable onlee 40% one?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^Detected the IED, I see :mrgreen:
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Damn, looks like I have to ask around me batchmates to find out if any fruit companywalas will get me a discount on a macbook. Current laptop is creaking and groaning at the moment.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

AAPL ===== Modi, you guys who oppose are like the Dynasty supporters who refuse to see the truth. While you thumb your snotty noses, people accept AAPL and buy their products. There will be always JJ, Mayawati, Didi, Patnaik and RaGa supporters who will buy other products. :rotfl:
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

RamaY wrote:Gurus,

I have a business internet at home (because both SHQ & I have Home office) with 50/24MBPS DL/UL speeds. But for some reason we see network slowdown and it goes away when I restart the modem and wireless router.

I recently replaced the Modem, thinking it is the problem. But I think my Wireless router (5yr old) is bleeding, because the problem persists and my speed tests show wireless is doing something.

Any recommendations on a good wireless router?

Thanks a ton.
Most likely buffering memory in router's scheduler isn't sufficient enough anymore. Go for a router designed for HD video sharing & streaming applications. eg Asus.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Prasad wrote:Damn, looks like I have to ask around me batchmates to find out if any fruit companywalas will get me a discount on a macbook. Current laptop is creaking and groaning at the moment.
Go for it! FruitCo wallahs get 15% anytime and 30% once a year.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

just going into a store like reliance digital is depressing. aisle after aisle of shoddy, poorly constructed windows laptops and then one aisle of gleaming MBPs, ipads and iphones that look 3 generations ahead in fit n finish. cant the windows laptop makers atleast do a decent job of copying... ? some are trying but still falling short and even a brief look makes it obvious.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

what is the point in having a high 41MP camera on GB 1020?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^The high MP count combined with big sensor is used for quality zooming without resorting to mechanical means.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote:just going into a store like reliance digital is depressing. aisle after aisle of shoddy, poorly constructed windows laptops and then one aisle of gleaming MBPs, ipads and iphones that look 3 generations ahead in fit n finish. cant the windows laptop makers atleast do a decent job of copying... ? some are trying but still falling short and even a brief look makes it obvious.
Becoz FruitCo understands what UX really is while the rest of them companies are engineering companies who think UX is some fancy buzzword one simply pays money to buy and bolt on like the rest of their crap. And one can see that is every product category - Windows lappies vs MacBooks, Android phones vs iPhones, SanDisk MP3 player vs iPod :lol:
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

gandharva wrote: Most likely buffering memory in router's scheduler isn't sufficient enough anymore. Go for a router designed for HD video sharing & streaming applications. eg Asus.
Possible. Problem became worse when SHQ started watching various TV series like Breaking Bad, weeds and Orange is new black (tell me about it) etc on Netflix. And MIL watching her al-Putin TV.

Thank you sir!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^The high MP count combined with big sensor is used for quality zooming without resorting to mechanical means.
I guess idea is since a big optical zoom cannot be packed into a phone, take the entire scene in 41MP mode (ie large) and do lossless cropping at 100% magnification later. thats one area where the newer crop of 18-24MP DSLRs scores over the old 12MP kit.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

These stores usually don''t stock high end models. Sony VAIO is a decent looking series with great performance. Going for looks and build quality, Alienware is supposed to be good too, but no so sure after the brand was absorbed by HP.

DSLRs beat everything that PS and camera phones can offer just because of their hardware. Puny lenses with 20+ MP resolution can't hold a candle to a 12 MP DSLR. When it comes to it, number of pixels is just mine-is-bigger contest.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

VAIO is no longer Sony. :mrgreen:
Singha wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:^^^The high MP count combined with big sensor is used for quality zooming without resorting to mechanical means.
I guess idea is since a big optical zoom cannot be packed into a phone, take the entire scene in 41MP mode (ie large) and do lossless cropping at 100% magnification later. thats one area where the newer crop of 18-24MP DSLRs scores over the old 12MP kit.
Yeah something like that. I had posted about the stuff on this dhaaga about a year back or so. GB had tried putting a real optical zoom system in a phone a decade before Sammy did it and called it innovation. But that is impractical.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Prasad wrote: That's the top of the line mac. Vina saar is running earthquake simulations looks like :)
Mine is a 2Ghz i7 quad core with the intel graphics that comes with the Intel Iris Pro chipset. There was a higher end one with 2.4Ghz and a dedicated Nvidia graphics chip.

I mostly run MCMC (markov chain monte carlo) and other simulations , so this is sufficient for me. But I used the chaddi dost discount to load up on 16MB Ram. Since I was getting the Aiport time machine, I stuck with 256 GB SSD.

However , if you are Excel , Powerpoint dude, be warned, that the Mac Version of MS Office is one version earlier and is plainly rubbish. I prefer the free LIbreOffice latest version , which has a low footprint (less than 500MB) , has sharp crisp displays on the retina and is fully compatible with MS Office. For compatibility, I bummed Excel from my business partner (2011 for Mac) and it is frankly rubbish. Bloated, slow to load, slow to exit ,slow to save, and blurred characters on the retina.

Fruit's own free office is fine for presentation and word processing. But it's spreadsheet is pretty looking, but basically garbage.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

jamwal wrote:These stores usually don''t stock high end models. Sony VAIO is a decent looking series with great performance. Going for looks and build quality, Alienware is supposed to be good too, but no so sure after the brand was absorbed by HP.
Alienware was absorbed by Dell and they use Dell made parts. My hard disk failed 1 day after the warranty ran out!!
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

AFAIK Dell does not make Hard Disks. Check to see if it was made by Seagate/WD/Hitachi/Samsung/Toshiba. Those are the only 5 I remember offhand.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

samsung bought by Seagate
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Hearing rumors about Nexus 6 being cancelled, and then not being cancelled..
any perspectives?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

krishnan wrote:samsung bought by Seagate
Was Hitachi also looking to exit that business?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital

actually IBM hard disk biz and hittachi merged into HGST which got bought by WD
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

so basically it is only Seagate, WD and Toshiba left? or Toshiba quit as well?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

they still do and give 10 GB cloud space on selected models
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

talking about them
HVAC system for Delhi Metro RS10 project awarded to Toshiba

13 Feb 2014

Toshiba has been awarded the contract of Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning system for 486 cars by Hyundai Rotem Company for Delhi Metro RS10 project of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (DMRC)

The system will be installed on new coaches for Phase 3 of Delhi Metro. DMRC highly emphasizes the reduction of life cycle cost incurred by train operation management and maintenance. Toshiba's inverter-based HVAC system with high efficiency and maintainability, therefore, received a good evaluation from DMRC.

India has a large population and it is expected that there will be a growing demand for the transportation network. Toshiba will continue to propose railway systems with high reliability in environmental performance, and contribute to the development of railways in India.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

don't understand this cloud space getting stronger.. the micro SD cards will rule the world soon, when it will become cheaper, faster and more robust.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Hardware as service is just one aspect of cloud, Platforms, Softwares and even Solutions are now available as a service on cloud .