Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Raja Bose »

Yeah they do. Its located near SJC. :mrgreen: Has anyone noticed how Pranav Da went off the radar after the Galaxy Gear fiasco. I hope they don't make him return his DB9.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Raja Bose wrote:Microsoft will merge separate versions of Windows into one unified operating system

And the convergence continues.....remember that you read about it here first, many moons ago. :mrgreen:
I don't think this is anything new though. There still won't be one Windows for all devices, still multiple versions. The kernel and some upper layers will be integrated me thinks. So stuff like windows ce, auto etc will be combined I think...
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Marten wrote:Folks, help me choose a phone for mom: Moto E or Lumia 630? Price range 6-10K (both phones come within this).
Moto G ain't good for her - she's a Sammy user and is quite familiar with Android phones (trouble-shoots issues for siblings/friends, sometimes with some help from me).
Might prefer the lower resolution screen since fonts are larger and she usually uses Whatsapp/FB/Messaging, and a bit of surfing.
(Thought about and dropped plans for any other brands - Micromax or Karbonn are already ruled out).
I would go with the Lumia all the way. The interface is simple to use and rock stable and smooth unlike Android that stutters even on high end hardware. All the major apps are there and you're mom won't likely require the multitude of Android apps anyway. More importantly the Nokias are built rock solid, a drop or two for the Sammy and motos of the world results in a cracked screen. The Lumia is more resistant... Important for folks in advanced age.

I own a 925 and love it.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Tanaji wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:Microsoft will merge separate versions of Windows into one unified operating system

And the convergence continues.....remember that you read about it here first, many moons ago. :mrgreen:
I don't think this is anything new though. There still won't be one Windows for all devices, still multiple versions. The kernel and some upper layers will be integrated me thinks. So stuff like windows ce, auto etc will be combined I think...
If you mean they will have different UI and UX flows for different devices...yes absolutely. I don't know why folks think that convergence means 1 size fits all....that would be stupid.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Raja Bose wrote:Yeah they do. Its located near SJC. :mrgreen: Has anyone noticed how Pranav Da went off the radar after the Galaxy Gear fiasco. I hope they don't make him return his DB9.
He was(is?) quite active on Twitter. My SLACKER follows him. Mr. Mistry is 100% Modi support-e-r.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

He is a good guy, comes from a very humble background and has lots of talent. I just hope he doesn't try to be Mahdi-ish and turn into a a-hole.
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

Tanaji wrote:
Marten wrote:Folks, help me choose a phone for mom: Moto E or Lumia 630? Price range 6-10K (both phones come within this).
Moto G ain't good for her - she's a Sammy user and is quite familiar with Android phones (trouble-shoots issues for siblings/friends, sometimes with some help from me).
Might prefer the lower resolution screen since fonts are larger and she usually uses Whatsapp/FB/Messaging, and a bit of surfing.
(Thought about and dropped plans for any other brands - Micromax or Karbonn are already ruled out).
I would go with the Lumia all the way. The interface is simple to use and rock stable and smooth unlike Android that stutters even on high end hardware. All the major apps are there and you're mom won't likely require the multitude of Android apps anyway. More importantly the Nokias are built rock solid, a drop or two for the Sammy and motos of the world results in a cracked screen. The Lumia is more resistant... Important for folks in advanced age.

I own a 925 and love it.
+1

I own a low end lumia, 520 and it is one of the sturdy phones i have used. Except for some buggy apps, there is nothing that i can complain of. Even the phone once fell off from quite a height and it was fine. It going on well.. Would purchase another Lumia high end soon.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Wearable technology from India....haptic based shoe worn navigation called Le Chal. What's intriguing is that they are not based in Bangalore, Hyderabad or Mumbai. They are based in Secunderabad: http://lechal.com/company.html

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/24/vibr ... avigation/

Singha saar will appreciate the PYT in the video. :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

er secuderabad and hyderabad are twin cities. s'bad was a PSU/cantt town of yore I think.

east asians elites/MNCs no matter how rich, developed and creative seem to always have a tiny little bit of lack of self confidence in projecting their way/their style boldly as the right way...hence this hankering to SV/NYC/london/milan to 'decide' what the global style trends are. and in this the western paying public(fanboys) are equally complicit with the NIH/'east asians are cloners' mentality.

I see fanboys still deriding xiaomi as cheap copykats on some forums. I suppose they will live and learn later.

ASEAN elites tend to send their kids to england / us / aus private boarding schools to get a pukka elite western education.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

RB , omg ayyo amma that pyt is lethal, I am a fan!...good of the co to use indian models and indian location in their photo shoot. would be icing if they showed her in a blue silk saree eating an indian meal with the cyclist later (revealing some more midriff as well).

some dhimmi indian brands tend to show indians in foreign locales or totally gora to push their wares.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha saar to fida ho gaye. :mrgreen:
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Tanaji wrote:

I own a 925 and love it.
Ya Allah! You wont survive one minute in my old office with multitudes of Apple fanboys. Blasphemy, they would say shouting Steve Jobs e Akbar all along!! One way to also look at them is the seculars of India for whom any mistake by Palestine is to a cue to turn away from but every "good" thing is to be highlighted and paens sung about.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Flashed a Kitkat "Slimrom" in my GSII Skyrocket and wowwww..
All my complaints of running out of space are gone. This thing takes up like a THIRD of space. JB would take up 1.5 of my 2GB but this is like 400 megs!
Battery drain is the only issue now. Wait for the next big battery small screener goes on.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I would do it only if I could hire a sharp kid to try out these rom's and deal with the periodic fallouts.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

pandyan wrote:^^^ saarji - you have too much patience to test various releases of OS on a phone.
On this particular phone, it takes all of 5 min to flash a new ROM. This particular one was made mucho easy to fool around with by Sammy.
I am waiting for that <30k androidwa with a <5in screen, at least 720p, battery >=3000mAH, stock or close to stock OS and some semblance of a respectable manufacturer.
I hear OnePlus is being launched in desh... other than the 5.5in screen, it looks like a winner for me. I'm sure CM11 is closer to stock android than Mi or whatever it is called.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Singha wrote:I would do it only if I could hire a sharp kid to try out these rom's and deal with the periodic fallouts.
hainji how much you paying hainjee? it its more than my salary, would you have a room in the outhouse? :mrgreen:
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Contrary to popular belief, some of them roms are pretty stable. Often a reboot is all that is needed, that too occasionally.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Curious about the 8.1 update on winmo. Happy to note that most of my apps are appearing on winmo platform, even those of banks for mobile banking. Hoping for better video playback controls, or a player like VLC, better control on notifications. Whatsapp app devs indicate that winmo limits the access which prevents them from giving some features that they can provide in their android app.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

archan, did you have battery drain with your old rom or just with slim rom?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Marten wrote:Singha saar, Redmi or MotoE? Am guessing you have lots of time - am gonna buy a phone over the next few days.
redmi has better specs. but not yet on sale in flipkart..maybe next month. check asus zenfone also..its available.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Javee wrote:archan, did you have battery drain with your old rom or just with slim rom?
Had it in jellybean as well. It was Cyanogenmod 10.x ones. However it was only when using 3G. It might be an issue of using Indian 3G frequencies on a radio optimized for a US 4G AT&T frequency? don't know, any folks from this industry might know.
I don't remember the original Android 2.3/gingerbread having a problem like this. However, when switching from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich and then to jellybean, the radio was upgraded at one point.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

We have someone with battery industry experience here right? what are your thoughts on this?
Next-generation lithium cells will double your phone's battery life
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

seems 100,000 ppl registered on flipkart to buy the Mi3. this crashed flipkart couple weeks ago.
then on july22 when sales started and ppl started paying, the site again melted and many were unable to complete their transaction. the latest Mi4 might retail for around 19-20k in a few months.

another news is oneplus is also coming to india gizmodo claims. pretty mindblowing specs for the quoted price.

Priced at $249 (16 GB) and $349 (64 GB) the phone packs the most premium features available in the market, packaged into an aesthetics beauty and runs on Android version via CyanogenMod 11S that looks different than most of UI's around. The phone sports a 5.5 inch full HD Corning Glass 3 display; packs a quad-core Snapdragon 801 CPU clubbed with 3 GB RAM but offers 16/64 GB internal storage only. You get 13 MP rear and 5 MP front cameras with addition of dual-LED flash and supports 4K recording.

---
Samesung ought to shit in their pants wrt to the specs they are offering today on 14k phones vs these two and others in the works.

every college kid/fresher on a budget (outside of amrikan apple zombies) will be salivating and drooling over these puppies. and they will likely upgrade later to same or similar brand. its a danger even for apple if they lose the aspirations of the youth.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hopefully some deep pocket Cheen player like Li-Ning will take on the established cartel of nike/reebok/adidas/asics and give the world shoes equal to the best for $30-50 instead of $80-150.
this has been a pricing scam for a long time. its a big market and same shoe sells worldwide with no country specific testing or rules, so worth it to enter and break the monopoly.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

archan wrote:
Javee wrote:archan, did you have battery drain with your old rom or just with slim rom?
Had it in jellybean as well. It was Cyanogenmod 10.x ones. However it was only when using 3G. It might be an issue of using Indian 3G frequencies on a radio optimized for a US 4G AT&T frequency? don't know, any folks from this industry might know.
I don't remember the original Android 2.3/gingerbread having a problem like this. However, when switching from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich and then to jellybean, the radio was upgraded at one point.
Did you calibrate your battery after the new rom flash?? Try this,
http://esausilva.com/2011/01/01/how-to- ... or-kernel/
Ranjani Brow

Post by Ranjani Brow »

Samsung postpones launch of Tizen-powered smartphone Samsung Z.
Sammy ke sitare gardish mein lagte hai :lol:
member_28442
BRFite

Post by member_28442 »

sammy just doesnt seem to be interested in tizen it seems.
besides, they have their hands in too many pots anyway, plus there was news they are gonna be making next iphone's processors again
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Purely unsubstantiated rumours that Chacha is paying for serious zakaat to wean Sammy off Tizen and other such adventures in the platform space.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Javee wrote:, did you have battery drain with your old rom or just with slim rom?
Had it in jellybean as well. It was Cyanogenmod 10.x ones. However it was only when using 3G. It might be an issue of using Indian 3G -----[/quote]

3g drains all batteries. mine too. hence i switch it to two g.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

archan wrote:We have someone with battery industry experience here right? what are your thoughts on this?
Next-generation lithium cells will double your phone's battery life
That would be me.

This will take around 10-15 years to come into the mainstream. It takes time to setup the supply chain.

Also supply chain is tooled to Lithium Cobalt Oxide technology ; this is a pure Lithium electrode with its own shenanigans.

Energy field = fixed assets (like solar etc.) + large chemical supply chains => Not suited to fast moving startups => do not believe the hoo-ha over every new tech that comes along, because it will incrementally come after a long time.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Singha wrote:Image

now that you put it this way singhaji......

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD !!!

i am regretting my Moto G purchase three months ago ! But thats a good phone, suited to my requirements, too.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

archan wrote:Curious about the 8.1 update on winmo. Happy to note that most of my apps are appearing on winmo platform, even those of banks for mobile banking. Hoping for better video playback controls, or a player like VLC, better control on notifications. Whatsapp app devs indicate that winmo limits the access which prevents them from giving some features that they can provide in their android app.
VLC is coming to WP8 vey soon
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

whoa!! 28.95%.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^^^mi3:
amoled, fingerprint, microSD, NFC, IR, heart rate, pedo, dual cam, etc..? ;)
on the goodies, how about an AM/FM receiver? blutooth stereo head sets? for 13999? :twisted: with a made in usa tag.

==

^that twitter up tick could be because of modi tweets.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

KJo, ask Kunal if he owns Twitter :twisted:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

kunal would have kicked dorsey's @$$ while playing kalij b@ss-kit b@ll.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

KrishG wrote:
archan wrote:
VLC is coming to WP8 vey soon
sigh! Moi have read this real soon now since 2012
and still it is real soon now
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hope the real product when it reaches public is as good as they think...else there will be massive backlash. supply will be readily available in a few months, but it seems the 'I want it now' gen-next cannot wait.

---
New Delhi: Flipkart, India's biggest e-commerce player, on Tuesday said that it sold Chinese handset maker Xiaomi's stock of its smartphone Mi3 within 5 seconds of going on sale.

Xiaomi debuted in the Indian smartphone market earlier this month. This was the second lot that was put on sale at 2 p.m. on Tuesday on online marketplace Flipkart, which is exclusively selling Xiaomi's handsets in India.

"The site saw an unprecedented 250,000 users simultaneously accessing the Mi3 page shortly after the sale opened at 2 pm today. This traffic load was four times higher than the heaviest level ever experienced by Flipkart's infrastructure," Flipkart said in a statement.