Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 1 Feb 2015

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
arun
BRF Oldie

Re: Sunni Terrorist Fragments of Unstable Pakistan - 1 Feb 2

Post by arun »

MEA Q&A session dealing with upcoming visit of our Foreign Secretary Mr. Subrahmanyam Jaishanker to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan:
Transcript of Media Briefing by Official Spokesperson (February 13, 2015) ………………………..

Question:The Prime Minister tweeted this morning that he would be sending the foreign secretary on a SAARC yatra. Will he go to Pakistan and what is the timeline?

Official Spokesperson: Let me try and place this in perspective. You know, cricket is a metaphor for connectivity at the people to people level in those SAARC nations where cricket is popular. You are also aware that the Prime Minister practices multi-layereddiplomacy that is engagement at different levels. There is public diplomacy, there is people to people engagement and of course there is diplomacy at the leadership level. Therefore, Prime Minister’s interaction today with those other south Asian leaders from the SAARC was in pursuit of this cricket as a metaphor for connectivity between our people. In this context, he did contact, as he has himself said, the President of Sri Lanka, the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, the President of Afghanistan and the Prime Minister of Pakistan. He did indicate to them the priority that he places on SAARC and mentioned that the foreign secretary would undertake a yatra. Now, this is not new, because the priority that the government of India places on its relationship with SAARC is not new. The Prime Minister on his first day in office had invited a host of SAARC leaders, all the SAARC countries to be present at his swearing in ceremony. The external affairs minister Smt. Sushma Swaraj has visited 5 of the 7 SAARC members other than India so far. She is expected to undertake a visit to another neighbor and therefore, when a new foreign secretary has takenoffice, the directive of the Prime Minister that he undertakes a SAARC yatra is in continuity of a policy that has been set on day 1. Now, if your question is, does that include Pakistan? My answer to that is, of course it does. The foreign secretary will visit all SAARC countries, including Pakistan.

Question:When Mr. Jaishankar goes to Pakistan, so are we looking at a resumption of dialogue process which was cancelled off in August?

Official Spokesperson:I think all that I said, you didn’t seem to hear. I understand that. Let me repeat it again. I said this was a SAARC yatra. This was engagement or re-emphasis on SAARC. This was a directive by the Prime Minister about India’s engagement with the SAARC. You are aware, when Prime Minister was in Kathmandu, he had listed out a series of efforts that India will make towards SAARC. Let me recollect some of them for you. A SAARC’s satellite, whose utilitI satin is available to all South Asian nations, partnership between South Asian university and one university each in various countries, medical visas for patients from SAARC along with their companions, vaccines for children in South Asia, SAARC business travelers card. I could list out several others. These are the agenda with which the foreign secretary will go to each of the SAARC countries. If your question is that in addition to this would he utilize the opportunity to discuss bilateral issues, obviously nobody misuses an opportunity which is available.

Question:But, there is resumption of dialogues, isn’t it?

Official Spokesperson:Again, let me explain to you, thisis a SAARC yatra. Let me also indicate to you, when diplomats meet, they have met before on sidelines of various events. This is a SAARC yatra in pursuance of Prime Minister’s initiatives at the Kathmandu summit last year. I listed out to you a series of areas that India is interested in pursuing and if you say that opportunities may arise for discussion of other elements other than what I’ve listed, sure, we have a bilateral agenda with all the SAARC countries. We will pursue that bilateral agenda too, given what is possible within the constraints of a short visit to each of these countries.

Question:When is he going to Pakistan in particular?

Official Spokesperson: If your question is, is he leaving this week, my answer is no. If your question is, is he going next week, my answer is no. If your question is, is he visiting Pakistan first, my answer is no. If your question is, anything beyond that, my answer is my vision is limited to two weeks. As you all know, I always announce these just a few days before.

Question:Afghanistan ke President ki Bharat Yatra ke baare me koi abhi vichar ho raha hai kya? Aisi bhi kuch soochnayein aa rahi hain ki Afghanistan ne Bharat ke saath ek bada Arms sauda cancel kar diya hai, to kya iss baare me aapko lagta hai ki Afghanistan Bharat ki bajay China aur Pakistan ko jyada preference de raha hai?

(Is there any news about the upcoming visit of President of Afghanistan? There are some news that Afghanistan has cancelled a big arms deal with India, so do you think that instead of India, Afghanistan is preferring China and Pakistan?)

Official Spokesperson: When Prime minister and President Ashraf Ghani met at the Kathmandu summit of the SAARC, Prime Minister did invite President Ashraf Ghani to visit India at an early date. We are right now, working on modalities for that date. I can assure you that it is our intention that President Ghani visits India at an early date. We are interested in that. President Ghani is interested in that. As there is a proverb in Hindi –jab do taraf razi hain to kya krega koi aur.

Official Spokesperson: India desires a stable, peaceful and independent Afghanistan. To that end, we have a strategic partnership with Afghanistan. Integral to that strategic partnership with Afghanistan is cooperation in the defence sector. That cooperation, the way its proceeds, is based on requests from Afghanistan and our own ability to meet those requests in a manner which we can sustain. That’s where we are. Now you are saying that there were requests, you are saying those requests are withdrawn. I am not aware of those. But I would like to give you the framework of our equation with Afghanistan. We desire a peaceful, stable and independent Afghanistan. Our cooperation in defense is geared towards that.

Question:Today the Press Secretary to the Prime minister of Bangladesh briefed the media there that when Prime minister Modi talked to the Prime Minister Hasina, they talked about (inaudible) many unresolved bilateral issues. So, my question is whether Prime Minister tried to understand about the internal situation of the Bangladesh?

Official Spokesperson: What you are saying is right because I told you when leaders or diplomats talk, they also utilize opportunities. Every opportunitiy should be used. And yes, they did talk about other issues. I will not get into those details of what other issues because this is privileged communication. My job here is to give you the drift of the discussions and the approach that we follow. I can’t be a fly on the wall because then I will be swatted.

Question: You talked about cricket diplomacy. So, is there any SAARC cricket tournament? Something like that is being planned?

Official Spokesperson:I think those of you who follow cricket at the world cup are aware that the five nations from SAARC are playing among themselves four cricket matches. All of you are interested only in the first match. I understand that, but beyond that while India and Pakistan are in one pool, there are three other SAARC nations who are going to play among each other in the other pool. That is Afghanistan plays Bangladesh, Bangladesh plays Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka plays Afghanistan. So, in a way, it’s already underway.

Question: One of the paper carried the story today that the Prime Minister is likely to visit Sri Lanka, Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles and Bangladesh in course of next three weeks. Can you please confirm it?

Official Spokesperson: Let me tell you again, I have answered this question, but I will answer it again. All the countries that you listed, we consider as neighbours. Some maritime neighbours, some with who we have a land boundary. Prime Minister is on record as having said that he would like to visit all our neighbours at an early date. I have also said that beyond the frame of ten days, I suffer from short sight.

Question: Is foreign secretary of India going to hold bilateral talks with the foreign secretary of Pakistan when he visits Islamabad?

Official Spokesperson:Let me again try and explain to you. Perhaps my skills at explanations are pretty weak and I understand that I am not able to communicate well to you. But let me tell you. Let’s put it another way. When the Prime Minister of India invited SAARC leaders here, there were discussions relating to SAARC. There were also discussions relating to issues of a bilateral nature among them. Diplomats and leaders utilize every opportunity to push their agenda. So, India will push its agenda.

Question: Again back to the SAARC yatra, is it going to happen in alphabetical order in that case? Do you have some kind of sense how it is going to proceed?

Official Spokesperson: I understand your intention to know how it is. No alphabet is not the basis, neither was it this morning nor is it going to be for the foreign secretary's yatra. These are based on logistical requirements, timing, availability of counter parts etc. So factors other than alphabetical order will determine his visit. Incidentally it may be alphabetical. I will not get into that.

Question: How soon is the yatra going to begin? I mean is it going to be this month or next month?

Official Spokesperson: Once the Prime Minister of India announces it, it is imminent.

Question: There were reports of India denying visa to two people from Vatican. Is it a fact that those were people having minister stage rank and we have tendered an apology?

Official Spokesperson: I have no idea. I have answered this question previously to you. The external affairs ministry is not the place to provide answer to Visa issues. There are other organisations in the government of India, who handle this. I suggest you direct these questions to them and not to the external affairs ministry. You may think we are all powerful, like I see there. All of them seem to repose a lot of confidence in us. We are a small niche ministry handling very specific areas of responsibility.

Question: Again come back to Pakistan Sir. Do you safely assume that India wants to talk to Pakistan but by proxy?Milna to chahte hain magar chupke-chupke! (They want to meet but don’t want to disclose it!)

Official Spokesperson: Isme chupke-chupke kya hai?(There is nothing to hide). Everybody knows that the Prime Minister of India has publicly announced that the foreign secretary of India is undertaking a SAARC yatra.Isme chupke-chupke kya hai? Khullam-khulla hai. (We aren’t hiding anything, we are being very open about it).

Question:Sir, jis tarah se Pradhanmantri beech-beech me Pakistan ke Pradhanmantri se Cricket ke naam pe ya pehle bhi baat karte rahe hain, kya hum maanein ki SAARC ke alawa bhi Bharat aur Pakistan bilateral issues par baat kar rahe hain? Officially jisko aapne August me khatm kar diya tha?

(As our Prime Minister spoke with the Prime Minister of Pakistan on cricket or had been talking on other issues also, so should we believe that India and Pakistan are talking on bilateral issues beyond SAARC, which are officially not being discussed since last August?)

Official Spokesperson: India and Pakistan or India and Bangladesh or India and Sri Lanka, when our leaders talk, they utilize opportunities to discuss other things. Cricket was today’s main item on the agenda. Other issues, when we talk, we will share it with you. If it is a subsidiary issue, this is separate. But today, world cup is starting tomorrow on the fourteenth. Please get ready. Cricket is in the air. It overtakes foreign policy.

Question:India was said to have set the bar pretty high last year in August, when we cancelled the talks because of the high commissioner’s meeting with Hurriyat leaders. So is that condition still there? Will it be there when the FS goes to Pakistan?

Official Spokesperson: I think you haven’t heard a word of what I said. I said and the Prime Minister said that the foreign secretary is travelling on a SAARC yatra. I don’t know whether the SAARC yatra is what we set the bar on. I will give you a list of things that were in SAARC. I also said, if there are other issues on the agenda, we push those issues on the agenda, but this is a SAARC related yatra which is proceeding from a country which will start off with another SAARC country, I have made it very clear. It will include all SAARC countries, I have made it very clear. It will also include Pakistan. India is focused on the SAARC agenda. I will give you a list. Yes, if there are opportunities, we will push our agenda everywhere.

[url=http://www.mea.gov.in/media-briefings.h ... ry_13_2015]Ministry Of External Affairs
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Harish wrote:Pakistan, to its credit, has consistently said it will NEVER support India's just ambitions to enter the UNSC. I credit them with a stronger resolve and a better understanding of their own national interests. No greasy friendship stuff here.
Is the UNSC permanent seat in India's strategic interests or not ? And has Modi's manoeuvrings last few months with China, Russia and US improved India's chances of this seat ? That should provide you the clues you want.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

Indian Urdu Daily from Lucknow, Sahafat, reports:

"China forces Imams to dance; in revenge, 6 Hindus murdered in Sindh."

[See article in bottom half of page]

A couple of days ago this article became news, on Chinese Imams being forced to dance.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Agnimitra wrote:Indian Urdu Daily from Lucknow, Sahafat, reports:

A couple of days ago this article became news, on Chinese Imams being forced to dance.
How can pious Muslims in Pukistsn spread awareness about this atrocity against ummah and the grave insult to Allah? Shouldn't the video and pictures be widely circulated amongst Sam abduls in the land of pure? Why are pious not using social media to spread this information around?
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Simple question...Has Pakistan accepted that talking to Kashmiri Muslim terrorists is wrong.

Modi govt will make same mistakes as MMS or ABV govt simply because GoI has no plan for TSP.
We on BRF may have raised our hopes high seeing AD and some blustering by NM before becoming PM.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Pakistan will never publicly accept that .... my guess is it will privately never abandon them. It can however make some noise that can be *spun* as a climbdown by one section. Then they can issues contradictory statements and confuse the issue further. One just has to look at their stand/statements on MFN for the last 10-20 years or their stand on the good/bad taliban.

Even if by chance we see a *clear* statement to that effect should we believe it given Baki behavior in the last 65 years? I think not.

But NaMo wants to get on with his agenda and one key aspect of it is *relative* peace at our border(s). Bakis too know this and that is why they keep flashing the noclear flashpoint card at regular interval. It is not only directed at Indian WKK's but also at Indian public yearning for development and international investors looking to bring money into India. If you watch the bakis talk shows they often stress this saying something on the line "India can not grow/become super power, etc, etc without making peace with Bakistan".

We can never have peace with Bakistan because they will never settle for that. NaMo's challenge is to keep the temperature sufficiently low to allow for his main agenda to progress.
Last edited by pankajs on 14 Feb 2015 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

World Affairs TODAY Season 8 Episode 11: Dr. C. Christine Fair

Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

schinnas wrote:
Agnimitra wrote:Indian Urdu Daily from Lucknow, Sahafat, reports:

How can pious Muslims in Pukistsn spread awareness about this atrocity against ummah and the grave insult to Allah? Shouldn't the video and pictures be widely circulated amongst Sam abduls in the land of pure? Why are pious not using social media to spread this information around?
Please retweet: https://twitter.com/Parikramah/status/5 ... 3185560578
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

partha wrote:^
Is that a new spin? That Delhi election result is the reason for restarting dialogue? That's worse than ICC WC spin. It's insulting to Delhi voters.
Practically all members of Indian media are stupid, lazy and dishonest beyond belief. This should be taken as axiomatic when reading anything by them. Guilty unless proven innocent.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Continuing on my previous post ....

That will mean that he will have to wack them once in a while especially when they start acting up. They are bound to do that given their thinking and conduct in the last 65 years.

Most of the time, it will mean talking to them even when there is not real progress on issues of our concerns.

This is not ABV 2.0 or MMS sarkar 'cos
1. He understand that he can never *solve or resolve* our issues with Bakistan in a hurry and I hope he is never seduced by nob@ll p1ss prize.
2. He is going to wack them when they overstep certain limits and he has already shown intent.
3. He is not going to make them a priority for his gov. If he has to deal with them he always tries to do that within the SAARC framework. It may not be much but he is signalling that for him Bakistan's status is equal to Bangladesh or Sri Lanka or Nepal.
4. He will continue to build defensive and offensive capabilities to ensure payback for adventurism that is almost guaranteed.
5. By growing Indian economy he will take India beyond the regional context. The growing disparity automatically keeps diminishing Bakistan's place in the Indian scheme of things. Bakis will always remain a factor in the near term being our immediate neighbor but the faster the disparity grows the faster Bakis recede on the Indian horizon till they are just a point and then hopefully disappear (with a little help). He understands that growth is not only an imperative in terms of poverty and job but also essential in a strategic sense.
Last edited by pankajs on 14 Feb 2015 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Is that a new spin? That Delhi election result is the reason for restarting dialogue? That's worse than ICC WC spin. It's insulting to Delhi voters.
I wouldn't worry too much about Delhi voters feeling insulted (they might actually take it as a compliment)....but it is certainly insulting to the Modi government.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

KLNMurthy wrote:
Practically all members of Indian media are stupid, lazy and dishonest beyond belief. This should be taken as axiomatic when reading anything by them. Guilty unless proven innocent.
The other theories doing the rounds are US pressure and/or minority communal vote bank politics related to Coalition Government formation in J&K given the PDP’s pushing for dialogue with the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Chief Justice BHC escapes blast in Balochistan - Dawn
Chief Justice of the Balochistan High Court Justice Noor Muhammad Maskanzai narrowly escaped a powerful bomb explosion in the Noshki area on Saturday.

Police sources told Dawn that the chief justice's convoy was targeted through a remote-controlled blast at Kharan bridge near Noshki.

"There was a huge blast when the CJ's convoy crossed the bridge," police said. One of the security vehicles escorting the judge was partially damaged in the blast that rocked the whole area, they said.

"Justice Noor Muhammad Maskanzai is safe," police confirmed.

The CJ was coming from Kharan to Noshki when his convoy was targeted. The judge was on a visit of lower courts in Kharan and Noshki since the last few days.

Frontier Corps, police and Levies personnel reached the spot and cordoned off the area to probe the incident.

The blast also destroyed a portion of Kharan bridge. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Ok here is the contrary question.

What is that which riles us up when it comes to talking with TSP. 2 days of chai-biskut and going back home doing what you have been doing as long as you dont turn into WKK or MMS.

Ignoring TSP is a great strategy but throwing them a bone of talking once in a while to keep them hooked and then humiliate them publicly around the time frame of talks can be a fascinating strategy . If you don't talk, how will you employ Public jhappad to them.

I don't think NM seriously wants to spend energy and time on TSP. He is looking for bigger league and bigger role for India.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Without giving any free publicity or link to the Paki paper, there is a article by A G Noorani in Dawn newspaper.

The article is flowing with milk of sympathy for Kashmiri Muslims as if seats won in Jammu don't matter and its ok if Kashmiri muslims rules over the state but heavens would fall if someone from Jammu gets to rule the state or even be a stakeholder in the govt.
That Mufti is now a traitor and power hungry shark is gist of the article.

Although it is expected of snakes like Noorani, so no upping of BP.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

VikasRaina wrote:Without giving any free publicity or link to the Paki paper, there is a article by A G Noorani in Dawn newspaper.

The article is flowing with milk of sympathy for Kashmiri Muslims as if seats won in Jammu don't matter and its ok if Kashmiri muslims rules over the state but heavens would fall if someone from Jammu gets to rule the state or even be a stakeholder in the govt.
That Mufti is now a traitor and power hungry shark is gist of the article.

Although it is expected of snakes like Noorani, so no upping of BP.
something fishy and uncomfortable about the insistent and incessant pushing by the PDP for talks with the pakis. Hope moron mufti does not precipitate anything unilaterally in another pathetic example of a failed politicos greedy run for the chimeral nobel
joygoswami
BRFite

Post by joygoswami »

Cell phone footage of the suicide attack on the masjid in Peshawar.

Click Here
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “Pakistani Role In Global terrorism” thread.

The Islamic Republic of Pakistan’s H&D seems to have been trampled by the United Nations Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and the Islamic Republic “suspects Indian manoeuvring to keep Islamabad globally blacklisted on account of deficiencies in Pakistan’s anti-money laundering regimes relative to global standards set by the FATF” per Express Tribune.

The Islamic Republic of Pakistan could very well be right. Hindustan Times reports “India and the US on Thursday decided to further boost efforts to address the issue of illicit money transfers for terrorism, money laundering and other illegal activities. The agreement came after the 5th Indo-US Economic and Financial Partnership Dialogue, attended by the US treasury secretary Jacob J Lew and finance minister Arun Jaitley.” Goes on to quote a Government Statement as saying “We reiterated our commitment to target the financial networks and fund-raising activities of terrorist organisations such as LeT, JuD, Jaishe-e-Mohammad, the Haqqani Network, D-Company, Al Qaida, ISIL, and individual terrorists associated with these organisations".

Express Tribune Article:

Money laundering forum: Pakistan to protest UN task force’s hostility

Hindustan Times Article:

India, US come together to combat terror funding
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

There is no shortage of hyper-ventilating anal-ysts in India. Here is Indrani Bagchi's anal-ysis in ToILeT, saying Kujliwaal's massacre of BJP in the Delhi election has forced ModiJi.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/elec ... 243793.cms

The government's sudden decision to reach out to Pakistan took many by surprise. But the timing is indicative of a couple of things: First, the desire to change the dominant negative narrative of the Modi government in the aftermath of the Delhi elections. The move will be popular with the constituency that has been uncomfortable with Modi's decision in August 2014 to call off foreign secretary talks.
Who are these folks who are so p!ssed that India daring to call off talks with TSP resulted in them voting against ModiJi-led BJP in Delhi elections? So this is not about terrorism, India's interests etc; it is about appeasement of some constituency in India?
Last edited by CRamS on 14 Feb 2015 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

chetak wrote: something fishy and uncomfortable about the insistent and incessant pushing by the PDP for talks with the pakis. Hope moron mufti does not precipitate anything unilaterally in another pathetic example of a failed politicos greedy run for the chimeral nobel
This has been PDP position from the beginning. They are no different from the Harried rats. Next PDP traitors will start insisting n dual currency and such. I am all for making some compromises here and there to get some semblance of normalcy, but giving TSP a say in the valley sell out IMO. Not saying ModiJi has done that, but considering that PDA is getting its way on talks with TSP, I am not sure what ModiJi is up. And that too when you consider that Ram Madhav is his point man in negotiations with PDP.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

partha wrote: Because he is the Prime Minister of India now. He should do what he thinks is right for the country and he did just that. Whether he got visa or not a decade ago should not matter.
I agree but he didn't have to go overboard and effusive with his hospitality crap to a president who has absolutely no power in his own country. What did India get out of that visit? And among all the anal-yses regarding ModiJi's talks resumption with TSP abomination, the most credible I find is Obama twisting ModiJi's arms to make p!ss with TSP or else (of course the weight of US power behind him). And then the final nail on India's coffin when the US president had the bloody gall, much to the delight of traitors in India including those who pay obeisance to an Italian "Goddess", to demand from India that soul harvesting continue apace. This from a US president who every day he has to get up and show his white citizens that he is not a degenerate human, meaning Muslim.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The Iron Brotherhood of Pakistan & China is such:
The "Early Harvest Program" dates to January 2006, per the Pakistani Ministry of Commerce.
The Agreement on Early Harvest Programme (EHP) between Pakistan and China is operational with effect from 1st January 2006.
As late as November 2014, there were supposedly 17 Early Harvest Projects with MoUs, and another 23 to be signed when Mr Eleven visited Pakistan.
http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2014/11 ... -projects/

Last year, (May 6, 2014) a 660 MW part of a dreamed-of 1320 MW thermal power plant at Port Qasim broke ground. The Chinese Ambassador called it the first of the early harvest projects in energy.
http://pk.chineseembassy.org/eng/zbgx/t1155081.htm

On February 4th this year, it seems to be down to 14 early harvest projects.
http://www.dawn.com/news/1161417

Somewhere else I thought I read it is down to 10 early harvest projects, but can't find the link.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://pakistanheadlines.com/2015/02/14 ... e-bombing/
An Oregon man pleaded guilty on Friday to being an accessory after the fact for helping people linked to a suicide bomb attack on the headquarters of Pakistan’s intelligence service in 2009 that killed about 30 people, court records showed.

Reaz Qadir Khan, a naturalized US citizen living in Portland, admitted in a plea entered in US District Court that he provided advice and financial aid to the suicide bomber’s Maldives-based wives following the attack, knowing that such assistance would hinder and prevent their capture.
Khan, a 51-year-old wastewater treatment plant operator and married father-of-three originally from Pakistan, was arrested in 2013 on an indictment which accused him of using email and intermediaries to consult with and provide financial support to the Maldivian bomber, Ali Jaleel, and his family.

The indictment said the conspiracy began in 2005 and continued on through the May 27, 2009, attack on Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence headquarters in Lahore and into the following month. The attack also wounded some 300 people.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

US Dept. of State Daily Press Briefing, Feb 13, 2015:
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2015/02/237501.htm
Non-Pak. stuff on the India-US thread.
MS. PSAKI: It is. I have one item for all of you at the top. Yesterday, Pakistan marked its national women’s day, so it's fitting that this afternoon we – or this morning, we opened the first WECREATE center in Islamabad. WECREATE centers are safe spaces for women to access essential resources for starting or growing businesses. We believe that unleashing the potential of half a country’s population is a powerful tool to drive economic growth and prosperity. This is the first of a number of WECREATE centers that the State Department will launch worldwide, including in Africa and Southeast Asia.
QUESTION: I’m going back to India again. Today the prime minister called – made phone calls to four of the – four South Asian leaders, including Pakistan, on the cricket World Cup which is being inaugurated in Australia. But the question is about the call he made to Prime Minister Sharif about revival of the peace talks. He is sending his foreign secretary to Islamabad. How do you see this development as?

MS. PSAKI: Well, Lalit, we believe that India and Pakistan stand to benefit from practical cooperation and are encouraged that they may resume dialogue aimed at reducing tensions. The relationship between India and Pakistan is critical to advancing peace and security in South Asia, so we would certainly welcome any resumption of talks between the two countries.

QUESTION: Yesterday, the chairperson and the ranking member of House Foreign Affairs Committee wrote a letter to Secretary Kerry seeking a new policy on Pakistan, which should – according to them should include sanctions, travel restrictions on Pakistani officials, sanctions on Pakistan, because they argue that the present policies are not – is not working. The Pakistani Government, according to them, continues to shelter Lashkar-e Tayyiba and Haqqani Network. Has – there are two questions related to that. Has the Secretary received the letter? Secondly, does he agree with the statements made by these two congressmen?

MS. PSAKI: I have not seen the letter. I can’t confirm for you if the Secretary has received it. I’m sure we will respond to the letter as we do from any letter from a member of Congress.

QUESTION: There’s one more related the Pakistan. The former President Musharraf, in an interview to Guardian newspaper today said that it is the ISI which nurtured Taliban. Is that your opinion?

MS. PSAKI: Can you say that one more time?

QUESTION: He said that ISI, which helped establish the Taliban in Afghanistan.

MS. PSAKI: I just don’t think I’m going to have any more on that issue for you.
QUESTION: Do you have one on Pakistan?

MS. PSAKI: Or Pakistan? Let’s do Pakistan.

QUESTION: Just one follow-up on the mosque bombing there.

MS. PSAKI: Sure.

QUESTION: It seems like escalation of these bombings that have been claimed – the responsibility has been claimed by the Pakistani Taliban. Even after the country said they have this new policy to counter terrorism, what is the reaction on the continuing violence?

MS. PSAKI: Well, let me first say that we’re saddened by the latest attack on a mosque and extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to the families of the victims. We stand in solidarity with the people and Government of Pakistan in confronting this type of extremist violence. We’ve certainly seen the claims. I clearly don’t have any confirmation of that. As you know, the challenge of taking on the threat of terrorism in Pakistan is something that is a big topic of discussion in our bilateral relationship, and was one when the Secretary was there just a couple of weeks ago. And they have talked about wanting to do more and continuing to do more, and we are willing to and prepared to continue to be a partner in those efforts.

QUESTION: You’re more than just saddened by the attack, aren’t you? You would condemn it, right? This is --

MS. PSAKI: We certainly would condemn it, absolutely.
QUESTION: And there’s another one: The Pakistani – former Pakistani national but now U.S. American citizen has been arrested in Portland, Oregon, in connection with the attack on the ISI headquarters in Pakistan in 2009. What do you say about that?

MS. PSAKI: I don’t have any details on that. I can check with our colleagues at --

QUESTION: Have you found --

MS. PSAKI: the Department of Homeland Security and see if they do, and they’re probably the most appropriate resource for you.
arminius
BRFite

Post by arminius »

Welcome party being organized for Shri Jaishankar
Pak violates ceasefire, fires mortar shells: India and Pakistan today traded accusations of violating ceasefire along the border area. Pakistani Rangers fired two to three mortar shells in Nowapind border outpost area along the International Border in R S Pura sector of the district tonight, BSF PRO S Yadav said.

The shells exploded at an isolated areas and did not caused any casualty or injury to anyone on this side, he said adding that the BSF did not retaliate.

Meanwhile, Pakistan army today claimed that a 60-year-old civilian was killed today in alleged firing by Indian troops across the Line of Control. 60-year old Muhammad Aslam was killed in Polas village in Rawlakot sector this afternoon, Pakistan army said in a statement.
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

Meanwhile in Pakistan..

Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

thanks sudip - good articulation by cfair, especially on origin myths and ideology, revisionist state, nuclear beginnings and its implications, how naive massa folks posted to pakland gets taken for a ride - many thoughts and phrases are from the distilled wisdom of brf..

..except some comments on modi that should be qualified as 'alleged'. she says she is a skeptic..that's an improvement over most western types who are outright toxic and dismissive.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

and lot of fun too...says now that she's blacklisted by pak..its like being pregnant, now i can have all the sex i want :lol:
Rajiv Lather
BRFite

Post by Rajiv Lather »

Harish wrote:Maybe it's just me, but Modiji appears to be gushing goodwill in all directions - including toward the toilet. As someone who was repeatedly denied a visa to the US for years, why did he have to invite that country's President for the R-Day function, hain? He could have cold-shouldered the US for an year or two before reaching out, thereby sending the Amrikhan chaddis in a twist for a while atleast. But no. He just had to call up Obama like on the second day and invite him over. To me, that demonstrates a obsequious attitude, not a forgiving one.

... bla bla bla...
Someone needs to see a skin doctor, this someone is a bit dense and slow
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

There are a million ways to make the chai biscuit as reasonable as the israel palestine debate. For example, put up large sq km size hordings saying india welcomes all blasphemers. we have religious freedom for all. Ahmediyyas enjoy mosques. murtaads dance in the streets. Hindus write books on rasool.

End of nonsense. Its not really a difficult thing. Just the wagha border thing, the chai biscuit, the dubai trips all bring a lot of much needed respite to people you here do not like. So the talks will continue.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

http://foreignaffairs.house.gov/press-r ... ure-combat

Alleged letter from US congress to Kerry on Pakistan:
We welcome Pakistan’s recent announcement that it will soon ban the Haqqani network, but are skeptical that this will result in any real change to Pakistan’s policy. After all, groups like LET and JuD are ostensibly banned and still able to operate with virtual impunity. Just days ago, on January 25, JuD held a rally in Karachi that appeared to have taken place with government permission. Indeed, given Pakistan’s history of support for terrorist groups, we are concerned that an outright ban will never come.

The United States should pursue a different approach with the Pakistani Government. We urge you to consider implementing travel restrictions, suspending portions of assistance, and sanctioning Pakistani officials that maintain relationships with designated terrorist groups. Such an approach would make clear that the U.S. and Pakistan cannot have a true strategic partnership until Pakistan cuts all ties with terrorist organizations and renounces its use as an instrument of state policy.

Mr. Secretary, Pakistan has been devastated by terrorism. Indeed, in 2013, more than 3,000 Pakistanis were killed as a result of terrorist attacks. Thousands of Pakistani soldiers have been killed and local communities have been brutalized. If Pakistan’s long-term prospects are to improve for all its people, its leaders must make a clear break from the policies of the past
Hope springs eternal -- we have lal masjid mullah getting ready to force shariat on the nation, with the willing connivance of the army, and US and Kerry are apparently going to get the paki army to stop using terrorism as state policy.

This kind of unbridled optimism inspires one to write another letter to Deepika Padukone to announce her betrothal to yours truly in absentia...hopefully this time around she will see reason and take the next shatabdi express to bangalore. That is the only way forward, clearly (to me anyway).

It is possible that US pressure in this direction is what is causing the Durranis, Musharraf, and other retired paki army scumbags to "admit" what we all know already, like Osama was under ISI protection, and Pak Army funds terrorists in J&K...as if they were announcing some deep unknown secret. Just more drama to fool the stupid american govt. to part with more cash, and they will succeed this time too, like they succeeded the past 60 times.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Bliss to watch from 1:04:15 to the end. The peril of talking to the Bakis is clearly underlined. This is exactly why we should not be talking to bakistan. The nucular weapons are largely to scare unkil and the rest of the 2.5 into putting pressure on the rational party in this whole issue :- India.
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

No Punjabi please! We are Muslim Punjabis

http://www.dawn.com/news/1163311
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Modi is privately causing immense takLeeF to Nawaz. Then, in public he is giving all the valentines to Pakistan. Pakistan balls are getting squeezed, they cannot get away from the grip.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^re: CC Fair a little before 1:04 - it probably makes sense to Pakistanis' twisted logic that if America pays them even while they are killing Americans then why won't Indians pay groups even while they kill Indians.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Mufti hails Modi’s offer to Pak. - Varghese George, The Hindu
Welcoming Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s telephone call to his Pakistan counterpart Nawaz Sharif and offer of talks to Islamabad as a “gigantic step,” Peoples Democratic Party chief Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said on Saturday that the government should also consider engaging with “dissenters within Jammu and Kashmir,” in a clear reference to the Hurriyat groups.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

If my opinion was worth even a cow turd, I would have advised Modi to phone Patel in the US. And now the good sharif.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

2 Pak. cyber criminals arrested - The Hindu
Pakistani officials on Saturday arrested two men wanted for cyber crimes by Interpol and the FBI for defrauding several companies and individuals of over 50 million dollars.

Mir Mazhar Jabbar, a senior official with Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency, told AFP his team had arrested Noor Aziz and Farhan Arshad from the northern part Karachi, the country’s largest city and commercial hub. — AFP
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Iron ore ‘discovery’ :cry:
Iron Ore Ka Lore Same Like Thar Coal Wale Lahori Chor Ka Phor
But finally it has happened. A Chinese company has authenticated the deposit to be qualified as “reserves”. And while they are sizeable they are not very large by global standards. The entire reserve quantity is little more than what Australian mining giant BHP-Billiton would typically produce in two years.The hard work only now begins. The ore is lodged deep under the surface. The area is well drained by the Chenab river, which may pose hydraulic challenges during excavation. The resulting mining solution could be costly.That would make the Punjab iron ore project marginal on a world scale. Any investor will look at a range of comparable mines in the world’s ore-producing regions and compare the extraction costs per ton. And in the presently oversupplied world market many marginal mines have become dormant and are available.Then getting the land cleared would pose a challenge for the Punjab government. The land acquisition for the Mangla reservoir expansion took years.Structuring a mining concession, especially against the backdrop of the Reko Diq fiasco, will pose another challenge.If the project envisages steel production on site then the government will have to think about ways to provide energy — either coking coal or gas.Finally, to move ore (and even steel) through overland transport to our steel mills and ports requires a modern, heavy haul rail system.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

US Congressmen for cut in Pakistan aid
Pakistan Ko Asli AID Chahiye
I have not seen the letter,” State Department Spokesperson Jen Psaki told reporters when an Indian correspondent drew attention to the letter from Congressmen Ed Royce, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, and Eliot Engel, the Committee’s Ranking Member.
“I can’t confirm for you if the Secretary has received it. I’m sure we will respond to the letter as we do from any letter from a member of Congress,” she added.The letter, dated February 12, which was posted on the Congressional website, asked Secretary Kerry to pursue a different approach with the Pakistani government. “We urge you to consider implementing travel restrictions, suspending portions of assistance, and sanctioning Pakistani officials that maintain relationships with designated terrorist groups. Such an approach would make clear that the US and Pakistan cannot have a true strategic partnership until Pakistan cuts all ties with terrorist organisations and renounces its use as an instrument of state policy.”The letter said while the government of Pakistan has taken some steps to disrupt al-Qaeda and the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), it has done much less to combat other designated foreign terrorist groups such as Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LET), Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, and Jaish-e-Muhammad. This selective approach appears to stem from a misguided belief that some terrorist groups serve Pakistan’s foreign policy goals in India and Afghanistan. Just days ago, on January 25, JuD held a rally in Karachi that appeared to have taken place with government permission. Indeed, given Pakistan’s history of support for terrorist groups, we are concerned that an outright ban will never come,” they said.