Bharat Rakshak Celebrates Six Years!

SRay
BRFite -Trainee

Bharat Rakshak Celebrates Six Years!

Post by SRay »

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points for BRF members who mention my name

No, really - it is you Rakesh! (cha-***** the sound of brownie points coming in...)

That and the fact that military technology affairs, especially of the Indian variety, has tickled the nerd in me since as long as I can remember.

2) Is BR currently set as your default home page? If not, may I ask why?

I have no idea why it isn't - it would certainly reduce the wrist strain and the time it takes to click on the BR icon on my Netscape toolbar every 2 mins.

See - who says BR wastes time? Here is a perfect example of how I've just saved time!

3) Is BR causing issues with the spouse at home? If so, PARTY ON!!!!

Have no fear, my precious BR time is not diluted by the presence of a spouse in my life at this time. (Though perhaps the presence of BR is precisely why I don't have a spouse at this time...) And as I type, my girlfriend is strategically misinformed that I am 'working'. :(

Re: Bharat Rakshak Celebrates Six Years!

Post by Guest »

Congratulations to the founders of BR and everyone involved in making it what it is today.

Now on to the survey:

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)?

Well, frankly, I am addicted to this forum, primarily to the monthly updates. I still wonder how you guys manage to do it, infact, I often question what I've done to deserve such goodies. :D That just one of the small reasons why I visit BR with alarming regularity. I am also quite fond of the Military Issues forum. It manages to keep me occupied until the updates come along.

No, BR is not my default homepage. This is primarily because I use my family computer and I'am subject to some restrictions.

Ahem...lets not go there, I'm just *cough* 17. :D
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Congrats BR

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points (with possible admin appointments) for BRF members who mention my name

<font face=garamond size=3 color=blue>I had been looking for a place to vent, think and share ideas on TSP since Kargil in 1999. Till 2001, I hadn't heard of BRF. But when I found it, it was like - "I should have been here from Day 1" and so here I am.</font>

<font face=garamond size=3 color=blue>Yes at home. Not at work since my local portal is a mandated default. Interestingly, sometimes I can't access BRF when dialed into one of my clients. So I gave a BS excuse and talked my boss into giving me another computer with no firewall direct access to the internet :( </font>
Mudy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mudy »

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points (with possible admin appointments) for BRF members who mention my name
Paki bashing, Indian Army and news brings me back after every 30 minutes. :D

No, but yes listed under Favorite

Still SINGLE. ;)
I was trying to bring female Army Capt(retd) and pilot but they are reluctant at this stage but soon they may join.
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

Happy Birthday, BR!

The subtle mix of erudition on matters of hardware and strategy, along with hours of gleeful entertainment obtained only by unabashed Paki bashing.

No, just so that I visit more than one website in the course of daily life.

Yes. We have constant arguments about "pre-emption"

4) Are there any gals in BRF? [Frown] Or is this a complete testorone-driven forum?
Don't know.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Congrats!

1.Yes, BR is home page on home desktop.
2.addicted, need medication ...
3.no life .. no wife..
4) Are there any gals in BRF? :( Or is this a complete testorone-driven forum?
Know two personally ...
George J

Post by George J »

BR Survey

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points (with possible admin appointments) for BRF members who mention my name.

**** Coz I have nothing better to do with my time and i get cheap thrills reading about the diameter of the RLG of the guidance of the nose cones of the missile which is mounted diametrically opposite the conformal fuel tank of an aircraft that is still not delivered :D ....sorry i had to put my two bits in.

**** Are you nuts?? Its been bookmarked I dont wanna be staring at this stuff when i get up bright and early in the afternoon.

3) Is BR causing issues with the spouse at home?

**** Nope all BRites are 'soldier boys', which is a euphemism for jingos in her lexicon.

4) Are there any gals in BRF?

**** There are more guys whose name sound like girl's, but the women are few are far between and mostly taken. Tough luck Koshy. If we had more women on this board, we would be a kinder-gentler forum.....were all pakis and chinese guests would be treated to a cup of tea first and then kicked out, rather than...your name sounds paki...you are too critical...you get the boot.
amreshmd
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amreshmd »

Congratulations BR !!!

Just to add to the voices of the majority re: the survey;

A. I started visiting for the news and the ensuing discussions. Now I come here because I am ..um... cannot find the right word.... addicted :)

A. BR is not currently my default homepage because I never set a default page on my browser. Just a personal view.

A. No spouse yet. So no party :(

4) Are there any gals in BRF? Or is this a complete testorone-driven forum?
A. Dunno any gals in BRF. Atleast not yet.
Subra
Webmaster BR

Post by Subra »

Hey - Gayatri was the first BR gal.

Moreof a lurker now adays.
member_5588
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_5588 »

This is such a "cool" site. And I am so so so glad to find "like minded" BR-ians !

Never met so many "commi" bashers at one place too !!! I am especially glad to see that !

I should be making this my home page... will wait for my wife to give me permission for that... She is already upset with me playing "Age of Empires" for long time !!
:lol:

This forum no doubt will be a force to reckon with soon ! Glad to be part of it... even though it is so late ! So much view / knowledge sharing.

Would like to complement the "Moderators" for doing such a great JOB ! and not tolerating "any nonsense"

Keep it up !!

Am curious to know how expenses of this site are shared or covered, would like to know more, and if possible be a contributor in my capacity.

Also, if there is going to be any meeting on East Coast sometime soon?
George J

Post by George J »

Originally posted by C B Sunil:
Am curious to know how expenses of this site are shared or covered, would like to know more, and if possible be a contributor in my capacity.
ISI ;)

But here is the official story:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Origins.html
S Bajwa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by S Bajwa »

For me BR is the number one Site out their in cyberworld.

BR Survey
Breaking News, TSP bashing, Mushy Bashing,learning tons of stuff, and Hope one of these days I will snatch the Barfi right out of Rakesh's hand.
BR is not my default home page because otherwise Let's just say that I won't get a salary. :D
Yep... Spouse and Kids both...
Burqa clad TSP "Men" lurkers are giving enough estrogen for a balance... Just kiddin...

btw.. here is my challenge to the TSP lurkers "Agar maa ka doodh pia hai tou samne aao"
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Congrats to everybody whose blood, sweat and intellect has gone into making BR the best site on the Indian military, BRM the best journal on strategic/defence matters and BRF the best forum on contemporary Indian matters.
The people - post the news before it appears anywhere else, have the best analysis of virtually anything that concerns India and collate and present diverse information from everywhere.
Yes - at home. No - at work. I try not to access BR at work nowadays so that I can concentrate on my work. But I try and spend at least an hour everyday on BR when I am at home.
The amount of time I used to spend on BR is probably one of the reasons I don't have a spouse! :)
I know of only - Mudy, Gayatri and Aditi with Huma Siddiqui probably being a lurker - I remember that she teamed up with the BR gang once for the visit to the defence exhibition in Delhi (I can't remember its name just now). There are probably many other lurkers.

Post by Guest »

I'm surprised that none of you have mentioned me as a 'lurker.' I guess you won't give me the satisfication of being known as the 'lurker.'
AshishN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshishN »

BR is 6!!! It has gone beyond ABCDEFG that 6 yr olds learn....all this TSP, GUBO, TFTA... :)

I would like to add my Q to Rakesh's: yes, if BR is not your home page, WTF not? (There we go with the letters again..) :(

Go BRF! All lurkers: Join the BRF pace academy!!
rags
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rags »

BR is a part of my daily routine
thks to the admins and all the members of the forum
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Ayoub:
I'm surprised that none of you have mentioned me as a 'lurker.' I guess you won't give me the satisfication of being known as the 'lurker.'
Tough. You are neither a woman nor a TFTAP, you're only a short, dark rice eater like us so you don't qualify.

Coming to Rakesh's questions:

Maybe I need to apply my piskological pretensions here. BR is a one stop India information shop with a forum in which pointless whining, for the sake of complaining and feeling better, has been banned. The positivity is infectious.

Not at all. What on earth is B-R? More seriously - I have only one link in my bookmarks folder - that's BR.

My issues with my spouse (daughter and a son) were before BR. None after. BR may be preventing issues.

Leave the girls alone. Let them lurk if that is what they want. In any case I suppose you actually meant "testosterone". Who TF thought of such an idiotic name "testostestostorosterone"?
VirenH
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VirenH »

CONGRATS to the whole BR team. I look forward to the day when I can see BR on cable - 24X7 :(

Don't know - however would like to see some of posts from gals.
davidn
BRFite -Trainee

Post by davidn »

this is indeed the best site on the net in my humble opinion! :D Many thanks to all who make it such a fitting tribute to the character of the motherland!

now this survey...
1/ Between admins and members this place is filled to the brim with knowledge on the Indian Armed Forces that I couldn't hope to find in the likes of janes and other western defence publications. And it is so uptodate! Every day members from far and wide reel in news articles which one man alone could not hope to find on his own.
2/ No. Because i possess no capacity for creative thought, and rely on others to give me good ideas...like now :D
3/ lol
4/ Sorry lol. Can't help there.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

great work rakesh koshy....congratulation to all BR members for participating....

(1)BR is currently default page...
(2)Wife thinks i am the biggest paki,mushy basher around...
makkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by makkar »

Happy B'Day BR. Six years is a long time. I still
remember the days when BR would crash or change URL's. So many new members have joined. Some old ones are still posting. Rakesh you have certainly done a lot for BR from the inside and now from the outside.

On to the survey:

1) There is only one BR. If it is about India's defence then it is here first. No one can beat that. I used to be on every day for 2 to 3 hours.
I still come every day but not for that long. The
folder format of BR may be the reason.

2. No, because I never thought of it.

3. Several female sounding names. Did see some photos of BR member spouses a long time ago. May be they are members. My wife reads with me every once in a while.

Jai Bharat
RonyKJ
BRFite

Post by RonyKJ »

I think BR is the best thing that happened to Indians everywhere. It is a symbol of a resurgent India and not surprisingly the computer seems to be the vehicle for the India of the 21st century.

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day

BR is the India of my dreams. This is where the Indians rendezvous. This is the street corner and the Indian Coffee House that I miss so much. This is the voice of India's future. Hopefully in the future, BR will become so well known that every Indian politician will check in every hour to feel the pulse of the nation. Hopefully this will be the forum where our leaders are made accountable. This should become the voice of every Indian who does not now have a voice.

BR is not my default homepage because I have conquered temptation.

No issues with my spouse. I think BR gets me out of her hair.

I have been able to get at least one to lurk. I think we need to expand into more social issues for the fairer sex to take an active part.
Yogeshwar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Yogeshwar »

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak.
Missed joining the Defence services at the right age...moved to pardes...still feel the sting with every puke bullet, live my dreams thru B.R.. Wealth of opinions, ideas, and thats what makes democracies..

Nope...I use the BLANK page for PHAAST loading.

Like ABV said in an interview regarding Whisky..."is prshna ka uttar dena zaruri hai? However, everytime I go shopping with her, I select stuff made in that excuse of a nation ...taking it to checkout counter and then loudly exclaiming..."Oh my god this is made in P...." I don't want this. ha ha ha... She kows about BR.

4) Are there any gals in BRF? [[Frown]] Or is this a complete testorone-driven forum

Oye...marvaayegaaa yaar....!
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Happy b'day BR. You are the best.

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points (with possible admin appointments) for BRF members who mention my name :D

To learn about India marching towards prosperity.

To avoid a divorce!

Majooorrr ones! (not really)
ehsmang
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ehsmang »

Congratulations to all.

I am on BR all day long at office ( s/w companies mein kaam hai hi nahin). In fact, the guy who sits next to me tells me
1) 'how can you spend your whole day at the same site'

2) bus kar! is site ki itni mat lay

My better half understands my obsession with BR and is quite OK since it ain;t another female!!!!

I introduced my brother in law ( who just joined the Army, Signals) to BR. Poor fellow, the discussions were too heavy for his puny brain, but he will learn.

Truly a magnificent group. BRites
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

Great to see that 6 years of supercruising.

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)?

BR has everything that I like to read about my motherland and the outside world - news, views, discussion, specs, humour, criticism et al.
Oh, this has become such a cliché. I suggest we drop this question next time around. ;)

My homepage is set to blank so that my browser loads faster. But BR is definitely the most visited site from my machine.

Spouse and son have serious issues with me switching on the PC at home...so....the party is rocking on!

No idea but I would urge them to participate more. The hand that rocks the cradle....

I had invited one prominent columnist to visit BRF and I sure hope she is at least a lurker.
neil
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neil »

Even though i dont post as much anymore or give valuable info anymore on the forum does not mean i have stopped visiting it. I still come here to read the various news threads, info on naval disscussion and once in a while post a odd question or reply here or there(like right now). However, i do believe i came onto this website in the december of 1997 in Japan when i was tryin to do a search on Indian AirForce(led me to Sheetal's page) And have been coming here ever since, i have also been a member of the forum since '98(at the time being the youngest member at the age of 16) and a participant of quite a few BR meets both over here in the Bay Area and Bombay.
So hey Congratulations on a job well done maintaining and updating the site and making a dedication to those people who die protecting our freedom.
=======
Oh and Rakesh have u found a bloody wife yet??? seems like you need some time off from BR to go out into the real world mate. ;)
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

First of all congratulations to all of us :D

<I>>>BR Survey

I just want to get some ‘fun info’ on our members, so please answer the following questions:

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points (with possible admin appointments) for BRF members who mention my name [Big Grin]</I>

I'm addicted to the information and insights to all things military. The erudition of the stalwarts and the gradual enlightnment of the cynics and skeptics gladdens my heart. Then there are the threads like the current one on Siachen, sundry threads on aerospace, naval and land forces discussions which are very informative and entertaining. Hidden gems like the monthly updates and the monitor are the icing on the cake. BR is truly the one stop shop for all things related to the Indian military and strategy.

I visit everyday and have been known to tell both my bosses and my slaves to not disturb me in the morning when I come into work, until I have had my fix.

<I>>>2) Is BR currently set as your default home page? If not, may I ask why?</I>

Nope, because you can set only one homepage. I have the various BR links on my personal toolbar in Netscape - this still gives me one click access to what I want.

<I>>>3) Is BR causing issues with the spouse at home? If so, PARTY ON!!!!</I>

I surf from work because it is difficult to maintain history on two PCs concurrently. I mainly rely on the already visited links feature to ensure that I catch as much of BRF as I can without re-reading what I have already read before.

<I>>>4) Are there any gals in BRF? [Frown] Or is this a complete testorone-driven forum?</I>

Who cares! It could be a dog posting and I wouldn't care as long as its informative, entertaining, presents a perspective I haven't thought off (even if I don't agree with it) or is thought provoking.

Post by Guest »

Good job BRites / Mods / BR! :D ) </font>

<font face=raavi size=3 color=blue> At work, no. At home, No. However at both places it stays open 24-7-365! :p </font>

<font face=raavi size=3 color=blue> As long as there isn’t anything that would interest ladies to discuss, something they feel comfortable talking about in public the participation level of the opposite sex would be low.

Make me an Admin, and I would get the gals flocking all over BR. :cool: </font>
Rajita
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajita »

Wow Six years! Have been checking BRF 2-3 times a week since May 1999 as my only source of India news. Gives me pleasant memories of gossip time during my India years. Though I registered only recently, I introduced 3 people over the years to BR, one of whom has become a fairly active postors. The whole range of postors from the magisterial Kaushal, profane Shiv :) , funnies like Umrao, the secularists, Pakeologists like Gudgudu, eminent judiciary reformers, the several serious blokes and even the resident American entertainer TSJ and the technically precise British gentleman, all make BRF always interesting reading.

>3) Is BR causing issues with the spouse at home?

Total collaboration, for he gets to see how bad India rather than all the goody-goody stuff I keep talking about :) .

>4) Are there any gals in BRF? Or is this a complete testorone-driven forum?

I am trying to add some estro here but the military forum is a bit too dry for for us and only for the real testo types. But did one of the posters not remark that North Indians keep same names for females and males so how will the southies tell between m or f northies on the forum :confused:
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Congratulations to the BR Team for a job very well done.

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points (with possible admin appointments) for BRF members who mention my name .

Many reasons, but the main ones being that this website and forum gives me a lot of ammo / firepower to bust DDM-jobs and negativity regarding India in general, at the local level in my college. A few days back I received an email from a senior of mine, which had a letter written by an IIT-Chennai guy. The guy described the IT industry in disparaging words, the article was emotional in between, he was unaware of the developments in Bangalore regarding not just software but even hardware. It painted a gloomy picture and tried to pass it off as "realism", with the author not having the faintest idea of the latest developments occuring in the country. And guess what ? This letter received a freaking "best-letter-award" from a freaking SouthAsianxxx group. :D

I have seen posts by Hauma Humiddha, Aditi and Gayatri Srinivasan. I do not know of the others.
debjani
BRFite

Post by debjani »

First of all, congratulations on completion of six years.

Though a veteran in this field, I compliment all members for educating me on many aspects of the profession that I knew, but very vaguely. I would have mentioned names of those whose posts I keenly observe especially in the geo political and technical fields but maybe I would do disservice to others who names may slip my mind. So I will refrain from doing so. Notwithstanding ladies and gentlemen [my daughter was a regular as ‘Debjani’, and I am her successor on the same name to log in. I found it stupid to talk like man with a female name and I am not a gay. The admins helped to change the handle.] I thank you all for charging my grey cells which are withering by the day.

I love the BRF, but my wife and children hate it since they feel that I am hogging the telephone line. While my wife runs up the telephone bill, I am always blamed because of this addiction of the BRF.

God Bless you all and I hope my grandchildren are equally addicted to it as I am.
Denis
BRFite

Post by Denis »

Hi!
CONGRATS!!! to the whole BR team.

I have 2 browsers (avant & IE) running on my PC when I am in the office and 1 browser is exclusively dedicated to BR only with atleast 7-8 BR links running at any time. Off and on I flip between my work and BR and make sure of atleast 1-2 hours per day of BR lurking.

I really envy all of you guys who can cruise thru 150 posts in given thread and then make a very enlightening and detailed post and then repeat the same on another thread. Really the multi-threading and Multi-tasking skills of most of the active posters are simply out of the world for a zapped simple guy like me.

This is one place where I can get quality information, crisp & detailed analysis and a whole range of news & views about my motherland. I salute all those people.
No. See preamble. (1 browser dedicated to BR) :D
On home PC - No (But my requests for home Pc access are no better than Mush's requests for Aiph - solas from Bush) :D

Not much. She is a weekend lurker herself.

Don't know
Amarko
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amarko »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BR !

A big thanks to the admins and all posters. YOU are what makes BRF such a fantastic community.

BR is a gold mine of India related issues, analysis, comments, whines and rants ;) , there are probably others lurking. I really wish more women participate though, that can perhaps help keep the forum testosterone levels in check :p

Amarko.
(A very delighted BRF customer )
vignesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vignesh »

I just want to get some ‘fun info’ on our members, so please answer the following questions:

1) What is it about Bharat Rakshak (and the forum) that makes you want to keep coming back every day (or in may case, every few minutes when I hit the F5 button)? Bonus points (with possible admin appointments) for BRF members who mention my name :( Or is this a complete testorone-driven forum?
Not sure...Would be great to have some intelligent girls !
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

And now for the survey...

1) A great source for news and information. I like checking out the various nich news folders...it would take hours to find stories that the many posters publish here on BR.

2) No, my default is set to blank.

3) N/a

4) Don't know.
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

ps - the Mil Mi-17 IV patch image is broken.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

BRF is a pain in the butt, As I have developed new friends and you know the saying
'Friends are thieves of time' and 'Time is money'

out of 18 hrs of 24 a day, I am directly or indirectly on BRF. The only time I cant get on BRF is when I am lawn mowing or snow shovelling or doing garden work under supervision, but I found innovative ways to work around , I have wireless network for the last 3 yrs at home and I keep my lap top in the garrage, I take frequent breaks, (as per Osha regulations) and keep checking.

Happy Birthday and many more returns of the day.

Ah I miss my friend Spinster.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Happy birthday BR!!!!
I have been coming here since 1999 and the only thing I regret about it is, why wasn't I coming here from day one of BR.

1. The defence news, not just about India but from all over the world and the execellent technical info that the gurus on BR dish out. Love catching up on all the happenings in the indian armed forces.

2. NO its not, we have a company mandated default page. Though BR link is there as button on my toolbar.

3. Not yet married, but even someof my ex-roomates used to chide me about always being on BR during the good'ol college days.

4. Are there any gals on the forum???

Cheers to all the BRF members and casual visitors who help make BR great.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

Congratulations to BR!! Through all the ups and downs of the past 6 years, you'll have come a long way!

I have tried to be on the site every day, work permitting. Also, lost my original alias of "Girnar" :)

Keep up the good work - Many many more anniversaries to come...