Top 100,000 Websites: Bharat Rakshak!!!

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Top 100,000 Websites: Bharat Rakshak!!!

Post by Rakesh »

Hello BRities,

Bharat Rakshak has been listed in the Top 100,000 websites by Alexa.com, which gives website rankings for the whole internet based on traffic. Way to go BR!!!! :D ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Re: Top 100,000 Websites: Bharat Rakshak!!!

Post by NRao »

Congrats.

Soon we will be dropping a 0 here and a 0 there.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

Great news.
Originally posted by Rakesh Koshy:
Any suggestions on how we could get Bharat Rakshak to be part of the 'High Rollers' :D ?
I don't think my, ahem... suggestion would pass the censors' scissors. ;)
Tijo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Tijo »

CONGRATS .... :D
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Rakman,

If you scan the common features of the top websites, you'll notice something, or rather, notice the absence of something. :lol:

Other than that way, we'll just have to make BR rise up the good ole' fashioned way, by bashing TSP and promoting India's defenders.

Good job BR team!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

According to the webpage - we were 55000 three months back..our rank fell down. too little traffic on the BRF i suppose..so guys get up and get going...
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

Was that the rank? Initially i thought it was traffic and was wondering :confused: .

Congrats
Nikhil Shah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nikhil Shah »

This gives you a pretty good idea on how putting links of 'junk' sites on BR gives them a lift that they don't deserve.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Originally posted by Sridhar:
I don't think my, ahem... suggestion would pass the censors' scissors. ;)
No, let's hear it. We are always open to suggestions as long as they help promote the website.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

[quote]Originally posted by Rangudu:
Rakman,

If you scan the common features of the top websites, you'll notice something, or rather, notice the absence of something. :D
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Great! We could improve this rank if other websites were to have live links to BR pages.
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

let's hear it. We are always open to suggestions as long as they help promote the website.
OK - a sanitized version. Show pics of Rambha and a Rambha side by side and see the page views zoom. :)
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

And the big 3 are:

1. www.yahoo.com (Go Jerry!)
2. msn.com (Sabeer Bhatia, wtf didja do?)
3. Google.com
Kuttan
BRFite

Post by Kuttan »

Slipping badly, huh?

In the days of the Romance Forum, we were No. 23. (if u have proof otherwise, I challeng u to produce it...)

We've never tried a combination of Romance Forum + Cricket Forum + Rabble-Rousing Forum. I suspect that Yahoo would slip to No. 2 in that case.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

One possible suggestion for this website: Some kind of BR news section like Sulekha's newshopper, with Indian military news updated daily along with any links to other sites. The military/strategic news folders could be leveraged for the purpose. Sure, it means greater management overhead, but that would be the cost of higher visibility.

Such a centralized Indian military news section that's frequently updated could increase traffic to the site significantly, compared to the present situation where BR is mostly a comprehensive factual database for reference now and then, along with the children's sandbox called the forums :)

Just my spur-of-the-moment thoughts.
Kanu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kanu »

I've always been curious that since you guys run the best Indian military related website have you ever had someone from the Indian armed forces IT section or whoever does their web based PR contact you? For whatever reason.
Kuttan
BRFite

Post by Kuttan »

Some kind of BR news section like Sulekha's newshopper, with Indian military news .. could increase traffic to the site significantly, compared to the present situation where .. the children's sandbox called the forums
Hmm!!! That's right. When I want REAL QUALITY discussions I go to Sulekha. :roll: Or failing that, to sites like "Angels from a Different PIN" (where, yes, my work has been discussed in terms of sheer awe ... )

Kanu:

Article(s) from BRM get picked up from time to time by such journals as "Indian Defence Review". The ones that are at low enough level that they can understand, I suppose, and are short enough for their attention span. Personally, I aim my writing at the kindergarten level to cater to the State Department Think Tanks, US Congressional Hearings etc. The Intellectual stuff is aimed at the Pakis. PAKDEF, for example, plagiarized an article from one of our star authors.

C.Rajghatta picked up the term "bum" to describe the Paki "Bum" from - you got it. Just small examples of the daily influence of BRF. I have it on good authority that Donald Rumsfeld, George Fernandez and Ariel Sharon all insist on summaries of the previous day's BRF advice delivered to them at the breakfast table.

Shri Advani (of Dilli) is reputed to have said, when presented with a "brief" from one of our members who shall remain nameless, is said to have snapped:
WHY wasn't I informed of this earlier?
Shows you what comes of not regularly browsing BRF.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

Originally posted by Jagan:
According to the webpage - we were 55000 three months back..our rank fell down. too little traffic on the BRF i suppose..so guys get up and get going...
I went on vacation and so did funny g hence the (s)low traffic.

jokes apart congratulations

"BRF where tomorrow comes today, while......"
Pathmarajah
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pathmarajah »

Congratulations and good job guys!

If you will be kind enough and be easy on the censorship we will have more traffic!

Regards.

Pathma.
AnantD
BRFite

Post by AnantD »

POSTED BY RAKESH:
"Any suggestions on how we could get Bharat Rakshak to be part of the 'High Rollers' ?"

Easiest way is to start a magazine and/or a TV show.

If you filter out all websites that have a magazine, TV channel or a newspaper, THEN where does BR stand? Just curious.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

[quote]Originally posted by narayanan:
[QB]Hmm!!! That's right. When I want REAL QUALITY discussions I go to Sulekha. ;) It would increase the links to various other high ranking news sites, and get traffic from those who want the Indian military news without having to trawl forum threads.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Originally posted by narayanan:
I have it on good authority that Donald Rumsfeld, George Fernandez and Ariel Sharon all insist on summaries of the previous day's BRF advice delivered to them at the breakfast table.
Its in times like these, when I am unsure whether our esteemed Narayananji is joking or is for real.
Kuttan
BRFite

Post by Kuttan »

Rakeshji:

Seriously, let me put it this way: If they don't, they sure should!

There seems to be firm evidence that (the least stupid) Paki journos and the (best) desi journos read BRF. Readership of BRM articles at some pretty high levels is confirmed - details "CLASSIFIED".

Stuff collected on those much-sneered-at Forum threads has, I know for a fact, traveled in summary form to, shall we say, offices very close to the Top. The quoted comment above is real - which raises the question: how come the Official Sources didn't figure out those things themselves long ago?

It takes intelligence, patience and discipline to really form conclusions from the Forum discussions. That's why its called "intelligence".

Most of the real victories (and there are quite a few) must remain unsung. But hey, that's why people like me bloody-mindedly resist all efforts to make the Forums "serious", "orderly", "focused" etc. Insights and innovations are rarely derived from conventional thinking along narrow canyons. And rarely derived unless people are really having fun.
Kanu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kanu »

Rakeshji:

Seriously, let me put it this way: If they don't, they sure should!

There seems to be firm evidence that (the least stupid) Paki journos and the (best) desi journos read BRF. Readership of BRM articles at some pretty high levels is confirmed - details "CLASSIFIED".

Stuff collected on those much-sneered-at Forum threads has, I know for a fact, traveled in summary form to, shall we say, offices very close to the Top. The quoted comment above is real - which raises the question: how come the Official Sources didn't figure out those things themselves long ago?

It takes intelligence, patience and discipline to really form conclusions from the Forum discussions. That's why its called "intelligence".

Most of the real victories (and there are quite a few) must remain unsung. But hey, that's why people like me bloody-mindedly resist all efforts to make the Forums "serious", "orderly", "focused" etc. Insights and innovations are rarely derived from conventional thinking along narrow canyons. And rarely derived unless people are really having fun.
Well then, if we are in the service of the Govt, when do we get our shiny badges and guns!?!? And when does Rani Mukherjee and other actresses come and pay us visits?!?! :D
Kuttan
BRFite

Post by Kuttan »

without a comments section ..
:D

Suraj, did u see what happened on Sulekha when they posted a certain pompous "column" by some exalted snoot? (maybe a month or so ago - time flies so fast when u're brawling on 5 fronts..)

All it took was two posts with some straight questions - and they did exactly what u suggest above. But, let me say this - the 5-year-olds would probably have done a heck of a lot more for their cause if they hadn't been stupid enough to cut off the discussion and go post their stuff in some silly pop-up window without comments.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Attaboy Rakesh and the team!Now to knock off those zeroes at the end,why don't we get some "Page 3 gals?!"
Seriously,great work to all who spend their valuable time and contribute towards the success of BR.
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

Any suggestions on how we could get Bharat Rakshak to be part of the 'High Rollers' :D ?
It is pretty easy, actually too easy - which is why the Alexa rankings aren't worth a whole lot. Alexa guagues a sites' "popularity" through its toolbar. So if every regular BRite were to download the Alexa toolbar and then visit BR, they'd push up the rankings.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Nice! Congrats to BRF!! :)

Any chance of BR having a chatroom? It may be difficult to moderate, which is a bit of a problem.
parusarama
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parusarama »

Narayanan:
nobody can say it better than that.The "Having Fun" part is most important one which in the larger context will serve the purpose of the Forums.

Narayananji
is there a time period to "declassify" the real victories??
James Bund
BRFite -Trainee

Post by James Bund »

It's beacause of my posts onlee.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

It's good to know that there are so many Indian Jingoes out there with web access. Says something for India Shining don't it? Congrats and thanks to the BR crew.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Well - this only proves to me that I have been right in my personal jihad in not allowing BRF to enter into a stupid and needless competition with unmentionable Paki sites.

That would only have pulled us down - and it still can, unless we are conscious. We have qiuality people who have quality within them, an innate entity that is not "in relation to something else". That quality need not be constantly compared with bullsh1t, dry Sh1t liquid sh1t etc to constantly reassure ourselves and say "Ah we are better. We are better"

If we must do better - let us, as someone said above, get into the high rollers category.

Good work, and thanks all.
George J

Post by George J »

BR is fine the way it is. If we are all deluding ourselves about the hot air stuff becoming early morning briefs then so be it.....I am still waiting to sip a cuppa at RYK.

BTW i found on the map... sounds like a fun place....
Kuttan
BRFite

Post by Kuttan »

BRM is listed among Strategic Studies journals. (saw this at some Columbia U site or some such snooty site, and I posted that on BRF).

I don't think they have yet caught on to the peer-review system that works here, though.

To get into the so-called "big leagues" you have to adopt a different strategy. Fundamentally, if all articles in BRM are India-centric that doesn't allow a pretense of being totally "objective" - ur being too honest, unlike rags like "Phoren Aphairj" etc. The trick used by those is to publish an array of articles on an array of topics, and of course the "objective peer review" ensures that only stuff with the "right" p.o.v. gets accepted.

So - if u expand BRM and have, say, a "USA-Cuba" section (like "indiapakistan" in Foreign Affairs), a UK-France section, a Russia-Germany section, etc., and occasionally publish a paper dealing with each of those, THEN u can pretend to be "global".

Also, my suggestion is to invite Pakis to contribute articles in large numbers, so that you can brag about a hugely "exclusive" rejection rate. Eventually even the Pakis will figure out what they have to write, to get accepted. Give out the occasional "Strategic Literature Award".

Also, the "New Issue of BRM is out" thread is not enough splashy advertising. You have to have a banner ad on the main BR page as each issue comes out. Much of the "popularity" of the "top" journals is circular hype. IOW, X writes a piece of garbage and it gets published. Then Y writes that X's new article has appeared. Then Z writes that Y, quoting X's new article, said....

In journals, hit rate is not the metric. Its all prestige and self-celebration.

As for the Forum, yes, hit rate is important. My suggestion: Appoint GeorgeJi as the new Food/Cooking Columnist ( My sources tell me he's gained credentials and probably a lot of weight this year) so he stays off the backs of the rest of us, as we revive the BR Cricket Thread. The TSP series is starting, and at least until the team starts losing, we will have huge hit rates.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

So - if u expand BRM and have, say, a "USA-Cuba" section (like "indiapakistan" in Foreign Affairs), a UK-France section, a Russia-Germany section, etc., and occasionally publish a paper dealing with each of those, THEN u can pretend to be "global".

Also, my suggestion is to invite Pakis to contribute articles in large numbers,
I think this idea is good - even if it has come from a
"Phive year old child" - After all Baba log ij the phuture oph the nashun.
Raja Ram
BRFite

Post by Raja Ram »

Good show BR!

At the same time the R^2 rambles which passes of as commentary gets to be seen with fine articles and posts by the likes of that brilliant five year old from Atlanta, the evergreen Umrao jaan, the wonderful surgeon from Bangalore and phd such as that friend of Hobbes etc.

See that is why this site is getting to be famous :D .

So just to reiterate one of the prime messages of BRF - Destroy Pakistan - Give peace a chance!

(Isn't it nice to know that this wonderful peace message has reached a lot of assorted phive year olf future of the nashuns!)
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

The next step really is to form the "Bharat Rakshak Party" (BuRP). With elections round the corner this might be the right time to snap the opportunity.
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

count me in...

unlike you all I would love to get hold of the irrigation and water management ministry (well throw in agriculture ministry as a bonus). Thats all I care about, you guys can take foriegn policy, defence ministry whatever.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Two (or three) worthwhile suggestions from our members need some serious thought on implementation

Suraj
Member # 3803
One possible suggestion for this website: Some kind of BR news section like Sulekha's newshopper, with Indian military news updated daily along with any links to other sites. The military/strategic news folders could be leveraged for the purpose.

narayanan
Member # 982
Also, the "New Issue of BRM is out" thread is not enough splashy advertising. You have to have a banner ad on the main BR page as each issue comes out. Much of the "popularity" of the "top" journals is circular hype. IOW, X writes a piece of garbage and it gets published. Then Y writes that X's new article has appeared. Then Z writes that Y, quoting X's new article, said....

The trick used by those is to publish an array of articles on an array of topics, and of course the "objective peer review" ensures that only stuff with the "right" p.o.v. gets accepted.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Hi,
Originally posted by Jagan:
Two (or three) worthwhile suggestions from our members need some serious thought on implementation

Suraj
Member # 3803
One possible suggestion for this website: Some kind of BR news section like Sulekha's newshopper, with Indian military news updated daily along with any links to other sites. The military/strategic news folders could be leveraged for the purpose.

narayanan
Member # 982

The trick used by those is to publish an array of articles on an array of topics, and of course the "objective peer review" ensures that only stuff with the "right" p.o.v. gets accepted.
First of all congratulations to the BR Team.

>>Suraj
>>Member
>>Member # 3803
>>One possible suggestion for this website: Some >>kind of BR news section like Sulekha's >>newshopper, with Indian military news updated >>daily along with any links to other sites. The >>military/strategic news folders could be >>leveraged for the purpose.

As far as the implementation of this idea is concerned, the updation of news headlines can be either manual or automatic. Manual updation will have the advantage of displaying the vetted news stories with the disadvantage of time delay + human intervention. If you want the updation to be automatic, there is this website www.moreover.com which can display a 'side table' in which latest news is displayed. The side table is fully customizable and the best feature is that you can state the keywords to look out for, to display the news stories. I used it about 2 yrs back when I was doing a site. The advantage of this method is, full automation, minimal time delay for breaking news, but it might also include news from Scrawny/Josy types.

Secondly, please check out the Google Advertisement thingy, and see if including some advertisements can financially help out the admins.

Will post more later.

- Just my two

:D