IAF Rafale News and Discussions - 26 May 2015

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_20453
BRFite

Re: IAF Rafale News and Discussions - 26 May 2015

Post by member_20453 »

[quote="arthuro"]I am pretty sure IAF will get rafale's source codes (let's see) and for a first tier ally of France it shouldn't pose any issue as this was part of the package proposed to Brazil, Switzerland and now Canada. For the F35 just forget it, don't even ask.

And sorry for the reality check : India won't buy the F35.

I would even argue than with the advent of GaN AESA radar and other ant stealth techniques, your beloved stealth jet flying straight an high will become a sitting duck...While even the most modern and powerfull radar cannot do anything against terrain masking.

quote]

:rotfl: We aren't getting source codes even when asked & had been promised for years by 'Ass'ault marketers, we'll see if we get them in future till some sort of official confirmation. Frist let's see if the Rafale deal actually goes through. As I said always one can always rely on 'Ass'ault' to mess up a sure thing.

As for F-35, if India is interested we have every right to ask, we'll probably end up with local assembly, some sort of Israeli style joint customization. As for India buying the F-35, may not happen now but if this Rafale deal is 'inshallah' cancelled, the F-35 stands a good chance. Atleast with FMS we would get a clean straight forward deal. Besides since India didn't sign the CISMOA, it will be inevitable that the F-35 for India is customized with Indian datalinks, comms & weapons etc. If the size of the pie is big enough, all is negotiable. It would still be a better deal than the one being offered for the Rafale.

If the IN ends up ordering the Juan Carlos LPD, you can be sure the F-35B will make its way on it, INS Vishal too would probably have a squadron or 2 of the F-35C. Early next decade or towards end of this decade, we can easily expect and order of around 40 F-35B & around 20-40 F-35C.

With more and more low level radars coming across China, the whole idea of low level strike isn't as glorious anymore. Besides the Rafale doesn't even have a proper stand off SEAD/DEAD weapons which don't cost an arm and a leg.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

arthuro wrote:So why is the IAF isn't purchasing your beloved F35, aditional MKI or even LCA ? I can understand your embarassment with a possible rafale deal since it doesn't fit in any of your theory on fighter jets. Unless IAF is totally incompetent in its technical evaluation, your theories are just plain wrong. I'll tell you: IAF has tested and faced rafale long enough to know its worth. It wouldn't spend that much money if it had doubts on its capabilities. And actually they want more of it. Sensor fusion, advanced MMI, cutting edge EW is something that IAF certainly has an eye on.

And advocating for the F35 in India is just a loss of time. It won't happen.
No one is questioning the Rafale's capabilities. It is about the price. At $200MM/a/c plus extra if the IAF wants to integrate Astra is simply not affordable. The JSF at $80MM (including engine) average cost by 2018 is a new alternative that did not exist when the MMRCA bake-off started.

"It won't happen" is a subjective assessment—it is what Dassault hopes/wishes. A lot has changed politically between the US and India and there is also the realization that France can be pressured by the US to stop arms sales (Mistrales/Russia).

Modi will be meeting with Obama end of September in the US. We might see the contours of of a plan B.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gyan wrote:Re Shiv

Extrapolating from Information released when Rafale participated in Brazil tender, each Rafale would cost around USD 300 million for Rafale plus 30 year spares & other support.
Gyan thank you for trying to be helpful - but frankly the number is meaningless. "Extrapolation" of what? What did Brazil want? What sub systems? What weapons and avionics suites? What number of expected flying hours? For what types of missions? Against what sorts of adversaries? With no knowledge of such things "extrapolating" that to IAF requirements is level of GIGO that simply makes the forum discussion look well informed which it isn't. There is actually zero information

Now watch how all our Bharat Rakshak Air Marshals pick up on this figure and make posts that sound oh so well informed. Scratch below the surface and the background info is a big cipher - no better than the DDM compared with whom we consider ourselves better
Last edited by shiv on 28 Aug 2015 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

A few days ago I made the following post in the Indin Mil avia thread:
shiv wrote:As it is BRF has reached that stage of nirvana where anything military, be it strategy, tactics or weapons, US sources are quoted as right. US generals and industry cant be wrong, while we cheerfully curse our own air marshals. Admins are you guys really interested in BRF or are you all too busy now?
Eariler today I made the folllowing post
(we now have) a situation where two types of posts coexist side by side on a given thread. One type of post demonstrates how the US does it. The other post shows how something is not being done in India by Air Marshals accused of having some sort of bias. When such posts coexist we have a thread in which a random visitor discovers the efficient way in which the US does something, and the accursed way in which IAF air marshals are letting us down. And while no one is actively encouraging anything here the net effect of not noticing the number of "How well the US does it" posts and another sprinkling of "How bad is the IAF" shape the narrative of the discussion in a manner that puts the IAF in a bad light while suggesting that the US way is the right way. Admins cannot escape responsibility here by saying that they can't monitor every post. That is their job.
As if in response to my rant we have this post on this thread - an absolutely brilliant exposition of the wisdom of Bharat Rakshak
Septimus P. wrote:
Funny thing is countries are picking the F-35 after evaluating it on a simulator while rejecting the Rafale during normal trials. :rotfl:

IAF's vision is cloudy, they have had cataracts in their eyes for over a decade now.

Them continuing to lobby for the Rafale doesn't show any clarity of judgment, its only shows that the higher ups are at the very least deeply confused.
So some unspecified nations are downselecting the F-35 by watching videos. India is not doing that and Indian Air Marshals have cataracts.

So this is a clear example of how some un-named countries are selecting US equipment while the cataract ridden IAF in comparison is slacking.

In many ways the MMRCA saga was the saddest thing to hit our Air Force and the delays and cost escalation is now being blamed on the IAF by "Bharat Rakshaks"

I am sorry to see BRF starting to go this way again. Some of us spent a lot of time trying to shape this forum into an informative one about the Indian Armed Forces. By now at least a few people should have been banned.

If admins cannot monitor all posts then we need more admins - but preferably admins who are sympathetic to an Indian viewpoint rather than general military enthu admins of a type who can be found anywhere on the internet This sort of stuff is completely unacceptable. Once again batons are being dropped all over BRF.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

arthuro wrote:I am pretty sure IAF will get rafale's source codes (let's see) and for a first tier ally of France it shouldn't pose any issue as this was part of the package proposed to Brazil, Switzerland and now Canada. For the F35 just forget it, don't even ask.
France and India aren't allies, let alone first-tier allies (nor for that matter are India and US/Russia). It wouldn't be trying to sell weapons to China if it were.

An offer of source codes is an empty gesture in the absence of a ToT agreement. That's why France is charging India a pretty penny to integrate the Astra and Elbit HMD, instead of just advising us to integrate them locally.
And sorry for the reality check : India won't buy the F35.
That implies one of three things -

1. You are 100% confident that this current deal will go through, come what may.*

2. You think this deal may fall through, but the PAK FA will be available in time as a replacement.

3. You think this deal may fall through, a mature PAK FA won't be available but the MoD/IAF will still not look for alternatives, ordering more Su-30MKIs instead.

So, which one is it?

(*You were similarly confident about the original MMRCA deal as I recall.)

That this still leaves the normative issue unaddressed - will should India replace the Rafale with the F-35?
As for relative capabilities, what counts is the mission: and the rafale has also been designed to survive in heavily defended air space (nuclear deterent for France). It is being continuously upgraded to be on page against modern threats.

I am pretty sure this is actually rafales's surviavability (thank you spectra), which makes the rafale special against more conventional aircrafts of its generation. This is in my view why it kept scoring so high in various technical evaluations and why IAF is so insistant.

I am not downplaying the F35. I am sure the F35 will perform also very well in defended environement, perhaps better no contest about that. However the rafale is also very, very good at it relying on its own special set of fetures and satisfies IAF.
Come now Arthuro, admit it. Of course you're downplaying it. You know it, even if your pride won't let you say it out loud. Repeating 'Rafale very very good' is just ducking the main point i.e. 'F-35 much much better'.

You're tying yourself in knots here esp. with the stealth argument. At one point you were all praise for Rafale's 'discrete' design and how it was a major advantage over other supposedly less discrete designs (like the EF & SH). Now you'd like to play down an airframe delivering true VLO-grade stealth capability (well beyond anything the Eurocanards can match).
Yes you can imagine impossible scenarios where not even en F35 or a UCAV would survive...But it remains the rafale will be a huge leap forward in terms of capability for the IAF.
When you have to shell out $200M+ for it, why not pay a little less and 'settle' for a stealth fighter.

Or alternatively, spend the same and get a local assembly line in the bargain à la Japan: $10bn for 42 units delivered from FACO at Nagoya.
Last edited by Viv S on 28 Aug 2015 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Shiv, at a personal level, I have pushed back on halo effects of US (and Europe) all my life. So I agree with your post, that a ton of posters seem ok to consider the F35, as a better alternative to the choice of IAF (Rafale) and run with it.

As an admin, I would classify my "posters of interest" in these threads as
1) those Indians/not who actually make an effort to bring in some interesting stuff,
2) folks who overtly bat for their own firms/countries
3) those who latch on to a stream to troll.

The last ones are too many in this thread and sometimes #1s and #2s too lose their discipline to become #3s and, sadly includes respected posters like Philip and NRao. I had to slap a week's ban on Philip two days back, for taking this sniping at F35 onto the Russian thread. Now Philip is a great poster in various matters. Very eloquent and provides interesting stories from various sources. So he kind of belongs to the first category and I did not like the fact that I have to do the trigger pull. I closed the F35 thread and tried to corral the F35 discussions to the international thread, precisely because of this reason of poster types #1 and #2 starting a discussion, with rapid degeneration happening, once a #3 poster introduces the IAF's (unjustified) apathy with LCA program.

But then I saw this post from you on feedback thread, a few days back:
shiv wrote:Crass post:

Folks i Have some thoughts about "future evolution" based on why and how BRF was started.

As all the old timers know BRF was started (like BR itself) to provide a source of information about the Indian armed forces. That was time when info about Indian armed forces was difficult to obtain and BR and BRF revolutionized the net in that regard.

But we have now moved on and there are a lot of places one can pick and choose to talk about the Indian armed forces. We need to acknowledge that people who come to BRF are not always coming simply for info about the Indian armed forces but to share and discuss stuff about other militaries as well - as enthusiasts and fanboys. One may be JF 17 fanboi or am F-35 fanboi. Neither is "India" but people have an interest and use BRF as a platform

What have we done for them? Nothing.

One needs to realize that US made hardware is used in some military application of the other in 100% of countries of the world (eg Boeings adopted for mil transport). So also some Russian hardware (eg Kalashnikov) is there in every country.

When we have threads like "Indian military this" and "Indian military that" and say that non Indian stuff should go into "International mil" thread - it is a bit unfair. US arms are "international". Congolese army is also international. But who cares about the latter?

What I am suggesting is that we need a dedicated thread in the Mil forum for US military, arms and tactics and perhaps a similar one for Russian arms as well.

Since we Indians are poor cousins of the anglophone world 90% of the info we get is about US arms and the info tends to fill up every thread. One click of a mouse will get 200 gazillion words about any US mil hardware. We don't read Russian or Chinese so we don't post much Russian or Chinese info. We need a separate place where this can be discussed by those who want to do that and this must not fill up other threads which have paltry discussions of poor Indian cousins like LCA, Saras, IJT, INSAS, Excalibur, Arjun, Huffy, Tuffy, Duryodhan etc.

The "International military discussion" threads are a relic of 28 k modems. The thread can remain but we need dedicated threads for Russian and US arms and stuff that the whole world uses. Hopefully that will provide a place to channel the interests of most of the world because "Indian armed forces/Indian military hardware" are a niche subject that seem to have reached their fill of information provision. Whatever little there is to talk about India needs to have "reservation" for those who want to talk about India rather than USA or Russia. In fact the latter could have entire forums dedicated but a separate thread would be a start.
The bolded parts are in no way going to address your points in the above posts in these threads, because the USAF's halo effect is going to get more pronounced with more deluge of the awesomeness of weaponry that is tailor made for US' wars. No IAF Air Marshal will be safe from ill-informed web-lynching, unless he takes out a stainless pendant of LCA and starts rubbing it, whispering "my precious" in a provocative fashion on TV. It is not like hugging LCA is their only job in IAF, but this engineer heavy forum is not going to think through their other 99% job description in IAF. And that is an admin problem that is not going to go away, regardless of what used to be in BRF. I remember it from the time I first started following discussions

We need a world-class weapon system, even if a tad inferior to US ones, that is visibly an IAF baby. Case in point: the Indian Space thread has a high percentage of very confident posts by Indians, with only a meagre few whinging endlessly about "fitting cameras" to LVs et al, because quote "SpaceX has one attached to Elon's musk glands" or some such.

Anyways, do report posts you find as below par.
Last edited by hnair on 28 Aug 2015 18:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited twice
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

hnair wrote:
Anyways, do report posts you find as below par.
Sorry to stay off topic. I feel sorry for people like brar_w who appears simply to be a well informed /enthusiastic fan of US stuff. He tends to go overboard in posting US stuff in a non-harmful way. But that unfortunately has side effects that he does not intend - and that is to stir up the opinionated people who come for timepass and to read about war and war machines who read problems and inefficiencies in India and post "helpful suggestions" of how it should be done - ie, what the US does. This then fluffs up a thread with "gyan" which passes as wisdom. And that wisdom is generally curse the Indian; instead look at how the US (or some other nation) does it.

These are all time pass posts often titbits of information picked up in some forum or other and vomited here and picked up by someone here and posted elsewhere.

On the Rafale thread for example we get a series of posts relating to cost. everyone is wild guessing someone says 150 mil per piece, someone else says 180 mil and someone 300 mil. These posts are interspersed with others who say "hey for those prices we could get F-35. And so the gossip on the thread progresses until someone pipes up and says IAF is fixated with Rafale, They like foreign stuff, people buy F-35 after checking the simulator but IAF has cataracts.

So the sum and substance of the IAF Rafale thread is that Rafale is too expensive; F-35 may be better; IAF is useless in all ways.

Individual posts, except the odd provocative ones like Septimus' cataracts of IAF post are unremarkable - but the progress of the thread narrative ends up being extremely negative and hurtful to the IAF.

If BRF was started for improving knowledge and awareness of the Indian armed forces, how can a thread be insidiously allowed to go down to a level where all it does is hurt views of the IAF, Pakdef never did a better job than Bharat Rakshak in that dept. We have fallen far hnair. Very far.
arthuro
BRFite

Post by arthuro »

France and India aren't allies, let alone first-tier allies (nor for that matter are India and US/Russia). It wouldn't be trying to sell weapons to China if it were.
An offer of source codes is an empty gesture in the absence of a ToT agreement. That's why France is charging India a pretty penny to integrate the Astra and Elbit HMD, instead of just advising us to integrate them locally.
Has France sold weapons to China ? No and I haven't heard about any intiative since quite a some time now. Not in the current French agenda. And anyway it is EU that decides not France.

But Russia does export to China and still some are big supporter of MKIs, PAK FA etc...This is something bizzare to me. Many are nipticking on a French attempt to sell weapons to China which is now irrelevant/abandonned/not seriously considered anymore but are quite indulgent with Russia it seems.

As for the Indian deal, if india wants ToT they can have it 100% if they pay for it (which is normal). Remember that ToT package was officially declared compliant by Indian Mindef during previous MMRCA tender. So this is totally possible with the rafale while it is close to impossible with the F35.

F35 is not on Indian Agenda anyway...There is Rafale, LCA, LCA Mk2, SU30Mki upgrade, mirage 2000 upgrade, PAK-FA, FGFA before the F35 shows its nose. And even if there were not all these programs, it would still be unlikely due to US restrictions on sources codes etc...

I am not over confident on the rafale deal (I am not sure it will be signed during French Mindef visit, just like I was generaly cautious with MMRCA). The only things that gives me satisfaction is that the potential users (the IAF), like the Swiss AF, or other AF that have already tested it ranked it higher than most expected.

The current situation gives me great satisfaction seeing how some can find the most tortuous reasonings to keep the status-quo and protect their own paradigm & beliefs. Really the story repeats itself for years...Korea, Singapore, Dutch evaluation, Brazilian technical evaluation, Swiss technical evaluation, Indian technical evaluation and more recently the Koweiti one. Even though this was never a guarantee of sucess due to other factors, it embarassed more than one "hater" which had to work hard to find, each time, an argument to explain "that this doesn't count etc..."

Off for the w.e. now, I'll just enjoy reading the continuing embarassment latter :D
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Shiv, the forum is not 400% anti-IAF or some such, as you seem to imply. We do have the MKI thread and the recent excersise over at UK. Everyone was proud and perky over there. No one bothered to think that what happened in those excersize is what IAF is supposed to do - execute a war in an advantageous way. Frankly, 99% of the posters here don't know what happened, but the outcome was apparently good and hence backslapping et al. All of us trust IAF at that point, 400%. Same is the case for all sorts of peacetime ops like disaster relief, SAR, evacuation et al

Where there is violent disagreement is in engineering, design and/or procurement areas. Areas that this 99% believes they know shyte. I repeat, that has always been the case since the earliest BRF days.

Anyways, maybe OT thread?
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

<POOF> Final warning before a perma-ban
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

^^^ The MoD procurement process as well as the UPA/NDA1 financial jugglery has made all three services look foolish when all they can do is point out what they want instead if being told" here what we can afford...what is the best way to spend that?"

The MMRCA process was supposed to be pure genius: some 641 evaluation points. All the IAF was allowed to do was tick off the results against those parameters. The result was fighters we could not afford. One can't blame the IAF for that nor for their request to integrate Astra and the HMS. It is not their fault that even after 15 years, we are not closer to inducting medium combat jets of any kind.
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

arthuro wrote:Has France sold weapons to China ? No and I haven't heard about any intiative since quite a some time now. Not in the current French agenda. And anyway it is EU that decides not France.
http://thediplomat.com/2012/04/eu-shoul ... s-embargo/
Since late 2003, France has sustained a campaign calling for lifting the embargo.

France Urges End to China Arms Embargo

http://www.economist.com/blogs/charlema ... ms_embargo
Here is Jacques Chirac, talking to China's official news agency in 2004, and happily underlining how France was going against the Americans on this:
"As you know, France favours lifting the embargo, and as you know, our American friends have strong reservations about it. As for us, we shall try to obtain the swiftest possible lifting by the European Union of this embargo, which is of another time, and no longer corresponds to today's realities."
Back in 2004, it was American pressure that caused the EU to buckle, though Europeans used the excuse of a neatly-timed new law in China, asserting the right to use force to prevent Taiwanese independence (the Europeans said they were shocked, shocked by the new law, though its passage had been known about for ages).

France Not Softening on Push to Lift China Arms Embargo
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

shiv wrote:but the progress of the thread narrative ends up being extremely negative and hurtful to the IAF.
Trust me, the IAF is not 'hurt' by any thread here. They are not here to win any popularity contests.

In fact it is a sign of strength to freely allow criticism, because criticism doesn't worry you. Either it is incorrect in which case it doesn't matter or it is on point in which case you can learn from it to make yourself even better.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

arthuro wrote:Has France sold weapons to China ? No and I haven't heard about any intiative since quite a some time now. Not in the current French agenda. And anyway it is EU that decides not France.

But Russia does export to China and still some are big supporter of MKIs, PAK FA etc...This is something bizzare to me. Many are nipticking on a French attempt to sell weapons to China which is now irrelevant/abandonned/not seriously considered anymore but are quite indulgent with Russia it seems.

As for the Indian deal, if india wants ToT they can have it 100% if they pay for it (which is normal). Remember that ToT package was officially declared compliant by Indian Mindef during previous MMRCA tender. So this is totally possible with the rafale while it is close to impossible with the F35.
- The French bid to sell weapons to China was very very serious and as I recall it was the US that led the diplomatic effort to block such a development. And this matters because the only argument left in favour of the Rafale is a political one ('independent choice') and a hollow one at that.
- Why are you still persisting with the ToT angle? The MMRCA proposal with ToT/local production was rejected for being unaffordable. Period.
F35 is not on Indian Agenda anyway...There is Rafale, LCA, LCA Mk2, SU30Mki upgrade, mirage 2000 upgrade, PAK-FA, FGFA before the F35 shows its nose. And even if there were not all these programs, it would still be unlikely due to US restrictions on sources codes etc...

I am not over confident on the rafale deal (I am not sure it will be signed during French Mindef visit, just like I was generaly cautious with MMRCA). The only things that gives me satisfaction is that the potential users (the IAF), like the Swiss AF, or other AF that have already tested it ranked it higher than most expected.
- Upgrade programs are not relevant to the debate at hand. They have been/will be sanctioned regardless.
- A mature PAK FA will be available only by 2025.
- Source codes aren't relevant either. India's isn't going to develop an entire set of domestic upgrades for two or three squadrons of aircraft. Hasn't stopped the AH-64E deal, hasn't stopped the P-8I deal, what's so different here?

In any event, you've again ducked the question posed to you - if the Rafale falls through this year, what stops the IAF from running a formal F-35 eval in 2016?
The current situation gives me great satisfaction seeing how some can find the most tortuous reasonings to keep the status-quo and protect their own paradigm & beliefs. Really the story repeats itself for years...Korea, Singapore, Dutch evaluation, Brazilian technical evaluation, Swiss technical evaluation, Indian technical evaluation and more recently the Koweiti one. Even though this was never a guarantee of sucess due to other factors, it embarassed more than one "hater" which had to work hard to find, each time, an argument to explain "that this doesn't count etc..."
The Rafale lost all those competitions - Korea, Singapore, Netherlands, Brazil, Switzerland, etc (with the F-35 & Gripen consistently emerging victorious). Why would the err... 'haters' be forced to 'work hard' to find excuses for the results.
Off for the w.e. now, I'll just enjoy reading the continuing embarassment latter :D
You see there's a basic difference between you and almost everybody else on the forum. You have the best interests of Dassault & Rafale at heart, while everyone else has India's best interests at heart. You couldn't care less if an Indian serviceman loses his life in an Indo-China conflict (save for the impact it'll have on the Rafale's reputation), while that matters a greater deal to everyone else. Its no wonder you have a shallow view of the matter, seeing in terms of trivial triumphalism/embarrassment, akin to supporting your local football team, while everyone else is worried about the deleterious impact it'll have on the Indian defence preparedness as a whole.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

F35 is not on Indian Agenda anyway...There is Rafale, LCA, LCA Mk2, SU30Mki upgrade, mirage 2000 upgrade
That is a typical seller's view. Anything to make a quick sale.

On the topic of F-35 (which I did not bring up), the more time passes the better for the F-35.

Need to flip a few switches in the SD.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

I think the reason for purchasing Rafale is some 'strategic' quid pro quo from France.

A couple of things we have heard about recently from news reports is TOT for building reactor vessels for 1000MW+ nuclear reactors to L&T, and liquid sodium from France for cooling the PBFR at Kalapakkam. There may be other stuff that is not in public domain.

I also think the IN will eventually be allowed to import the F35 for its next carrier.

JMT and speculation
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

I think the reason for purchasing Rafale is some 'strategic' quid pro quo from France.
That is the only reason that I can think off. The deal does not make any sense otherwise.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... dis-visit/

India and France today signed 17 agreements, including on the stalled nuclear project in Jaitapur in Maharashtra, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held wide-ranging talks with French President Francois Hollande.
An MoU was signed between Larsen and Tubro and AREVA aimed at cost reduction by increasing localisation, to improve the financial viability of the Jaitapur project.
The agreement will also enable transfer of technology and development of indigenous nuclear energy industry in India.
Pre-engineering agreements were inked between NPCIL and Areva which intend to bring clarity on all technical aspects of the plant so that all parties (AREVA, Alstom and NPCIL) can firm up their price and optimise all provisions for risks still included at this stage in the costs of the project.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I would like to point out in addition, that this thread IAF Rafale' serves no purpose other than to encourage insults and flamewars.

First off there is no Rafale in the Indian Air force. There may be in due course, but I tend to take the view that if we are going to talk about what might come in future but with no guarantee that it will come - then "F-35 in the Indian Air Force" should be an equally valid thread.

This series of threads has been really unfortunate. The MMRCA fly offs brought a lot f attention on earlier avatars of this thread with supporters and "well wishers" of various aircraft coming on here to have their say. After the Rafale was downselected we had a continuation of a more subdued version of the old thread. But finally the thread has degenerated into a kind of "general thread" to bash supporters of something or other and the IAF in general.

This thread is a shame and contributes nothing and I suggest that if, next Monday, the Rafale deal is not confirmed as reported in the media, this thread should simply be locked and discarded as serving no useful purpose.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

All the trash will then flow into Indian mil aviation thread.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Karan M wrote:All the trash will then flow into Indian mil aviation thread.
:rotfl: Having let the invaders occupy parts of our land, we must now hesitate to disturb or uproot them for we shall once again be unable to prevent them from occupying the little we have left to ourselves.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Our forum "split personality" allows us to point out how dumb the CAG is for splitting financial hairs - but people who make cost estimates for Rafale and reach judgement are intelligent and sensitive and do not deserve any criticism. Air Marshals of the IAF can be blamed.

One such Air Marshal was PC Lal whose career spanned the 1948m 1962, 1965 and 1971 wars - he was CAS during that last war. He writes, in his autobiography:
The attitude of finance is as if it were outside the defence organization without any responsibility for the working of the air force, as if it was an inquisitor or a judge with an interest in transcending all responsibilities for the performance of the job itself
He goes on to say further:
All proposals involving expenditure of funds are are subject to very minute scrutiny by the ministry of finance and many objections are raised. All economy seems to be in this penny-pinching, hair-splitting approach. Yet the larger implication is often ignored or presumably sometimes is not even understood. For example, increase of Packet aircraft , and funds for buying them were approved. But the ministry did not sanction increased funds for overhaul of engines ..total aircraft utilization was actually reduced!

The people concerned appear to have no idea of the cost of operations of aircraft. Study of this aspect is very essential in order to estimate the cost of maintaining and operating the air force. Costing on commercial basis is neither feasible nor necessary..etc
But who cares what this now dead man said. We have our experts on BRF.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

ldev wrote:
That is the only reason that I can think off. The deal does not make any sense otherwise.
+1.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Kakkaji wrote:I think the reason for purchasing Rafale is some 'strategic' quid pro quo from France.

A couple of things we have heard about recently from news reports is TOT for building reactor vessels for 1000MW+ nuclear reactors to L&T, and liquid sodium from France for cooling the PBFR at Kalapakkam. There may be other stuff that is not in public domain.

I also think the IN will eventually be allowed to import the F35 for its next carrier.

JMT and speculation
The reason for acquiring the Rafale is to meet the operational needs of the IAF. The PM has said so.

The IN will use the MiG-29K on the next aircraft carrier (which is why they have ordered 45 in total) and thereafter it will be the LCA Mk 2.

F-35 should be discussed on another thread.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Wow.
This threads really bordering on the crazy side.

Dont criticise the IAF, they get hurt.Dont discuss other comparable/better platforms because as per the posters information/opinion US fighter maal is haraam.
Strategic transports/attach helos/MPA is fine.

Its okay to discuss debate pros and cons of systems, but I dont get the need to get into a patronizing mode and trying to pass ones view as "information on Indian armed forces".
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

shiv wrote:
Karan M wrote:All the trash will then flow into Indian mil aviation thread.
:rotfl: Having let the invaders occupy parts of our land, we must now hesitate to disturb or uproot them for we shall once again be unable to prevent them from occupying the little we have left to ourselves.
It is what it is. Until and unless the Rafale saga is closed by the IAF and MOD, and the IAF and MOD keep making statements on it ("there is no Plan B", "the deal will be signed in 11 days etc etc") to the press, the Rafale stuff will keep being brought up.. its a given. Shut off this dedicated thread to this mess and it will take over all other threads. In that sense the JSF and Rafale threads did/do serve some purpose. With 36 aircraft, a token buy which is going to provide limited punch for our needs and cost disproportionately, the Rafale and its attendant discussion just seems bizarre by any angle (bar the it had a strategic purpose one) hence it will continue to elicit questions even from the middle of the road types IMHO.
Last edited by Karan M on 29 Aug 2015 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Avarachan wrote:
+1.
Just the Jaitapur deal or something else?
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Karan M wrote:
Jaitapur does not need a quid pro quo.... after all the bilateral agreements signed with various countries.

Access to something like this will need a quid pro quo. That will be well worth 36 Rafale at even $300 million a pop. But nobody will talk about it on the record....so its all guesswork.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

"This"is what I had said years back!

I was told no, this is not that.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

ldev wrote:
Karan M wrote:
Jaitapur does not need a quid pro quo.... after all the bilateral agreements signed with various countries.

Access to something like this will need a quid pro quo. That will be well worth 36 Rafale at even $300 million a pop. But nobody will talk about it on the record....so its all guesswork.
Fair enough.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

The PM of India has clearly stated that the Rafale is being acquired to meet the operational needs of the IAF. There is no need for any guesswork or conjecture.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

ldev, I would be surprised if India does not already possess expertise for "this". In fundamental physics the centers of excellence are many back home. It cannot be that for sure. If you have doubt please google for talks/presentations by Kalpakkam folks in Geneva. I am not going to post the links. :-)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Bade: For the middle I am very sure. Right most box probably you know more. You or anybody else who knows these things please correct me if I am wrong, but for the left box, especially for "simulating fine steps" part, India should be willing to take the risk of sanctions.

Slight OT: My WAG is we cannot afford to take that risk for at least next five years if not for the next ten years. Discussion at length would be in Economics thread and probably some other threads which will quickly descend into chaos.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Bade wrote:ldev, I would be surprised if India does not already possess expertise for "this". In fundamental physics the centers of excellence are many back home. It cannot be that for sure. If you have doubt please google for talks/presentations by Kalpakkam folks in Geneva. I am not going to post the links. :-)
I was told, about a month ago, that Indians (in India), are leading in MetSci - papers, talks, etc. So I wondered. Turns out none want to get feet wet and hands dirty.

So the question is how much of the talkers from Kalpakkam have delivered a practical alternative. If none then France becomes an option - no matter what the PM says.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
NRao says it is so, so it doesn't matter what the PM says :rotfl:
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Actually at the BJP conclave post the France visit, Modi wondered why the media were making a ruckus over the Rafale given more important things were concluded. Clearly, there was more on the table than the Rafale and the hypothesis that its linked to a strategic purpose has merit.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Strategic reasons like how others do the simulation may be of interest to Indians as this is true sometimes even for the US. But to pay a huge dollar price for that makes little sense, unless you have no confidence at all in what you do. No more as it is OT and too detailed to dig up. But from my understanding we should possess this expertise based on other open source stuff.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Could be a mix of things. But per se, I agree paying $6 Bn to have the French do simulations for us? For that money why not set up our own?? So by itself the Rafale deal makes very little financial sense. The Modi govt could have easily scrapped the MMRCA itself (which they did) and gone for the EF or any other fighter on cost. Only the nuclear deal for Jaitapur was mentioned by Modi in his speech at the BJP conclave, so was there anything else to force us to get the Rafale and Rafale alone.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

We don't need any conspiracy theories on why the Rafale is being acquired. It meets an important need of the IAF. Plain and simple as that. For those who want it cancelled, etc, and hold their own judgment in much higher regard than that of the IAF, I can imagine it soothes their egos to believe that there is something else to it. Their isn't anything else to it.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

In short you don't know anything for sure but insist that others must and should kowtow to your line of thought. Hardly convincing.