Top 100,000 Websites: Bharat Rakshak!!!

Kapil
Webmaster BR

Re: Top 100,000 Websites: Bharat Rakshak!!!

Post by Kapil »

hurrah everyone!!

Doc Saab is right..we must listen to the phive ear old boy's plans.
Psst N3...the rank was actually 20 in the days when we had 'School-Assignment-Support' aka (SAS) enabled.
:)
Chacko
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Chacko »

we've only been online 6 months, Traffic Rank for protonriver.com: 443,903
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

and you guys moved up 2.5 million places over the last three months - impressive..
Chacko
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Chacko »

I too am :eek:
:lol:
BR did awesome.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Congrats.
BTW Shiv, :
Well - this only proves to me that I have been right in my personal jihad in not allowing BRF to enter into a stupid and needless competition with unmentionable Paki sites.
FWIW I was a little skeptic and thought a few times that you are a little more strict than necessary but now I do agree with you that you were right.
rrikhye
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rrikhye »

Rakesh,

Congratulations. I have many links to BRF, please have someone scan www.orbat.com and I'd be happy to put in more apropos.

So I'm 180,000 something? Not too bad considering there's one of me, though I do have 15 editors and 140 people working with us [with us, not for us]

Still, not good enough. CIMH once it gets going should get me into the top 100,000, plus some advanced software we're putting in.

Compete and cooperate: that's what I learned from the Americans when I was in short-pants. In India it was simply cut competitor's throat if your competitor was Indian, kiss behind if your competitor was western.

You are setting a great example for the young Indians of today. Older I get, less I worry about India's future. Its in good hands, including BRF's.
Atish
BRFite

Post by Atish »

The website says that rankings above 100,000 are not reliable. Also i am not sure how representativ its sample size is. How reliable is this ranking?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Atish:
The website says that rankings above 100,000 are not reliable. Also i am not sure how representativ its sample size is. How reliable is this ranking?
When the news is good - it's reliable.

When the news is bad - its not reliable.
Harsh
BRFite -Trainee
Location: The land of beer and honeys (...and that apple pie!)

Post by Harsh »

It would be nice to see an upgrade in forum software that allows individual threads to be crawled/cached in search engine sites like google.

BR's hits and ranking would go up tenfold
Shashank
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shashank »

Originally posted by shiv:
When the news is good - it's reliable.

When the news is bad - its not reliable.
Shiv, looks like in the course of writing a book you have actually started thinking like a Pakistani.

The other day I was witnessing some Pakistanis defending all the U turns their country is making and saying Pakistan is not GUBOing but is strong enough to make those decisions. :D I immedietly remembered the Pakistani writer who said "Its time for silent betrayals". Truly "silent"... these people sincerely believe that their country is not doing GUBO and there are no U turns.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by Shashank:
Shiv, looks like in the course of writing a book you have actually started thinking like a Pakistani..
Of course. Being a Paki - especially a MALE Paki has many advantages that you low beings will never discover. Only a Paki can have a lump of dung in front of him and say it is chocolate cake.

Sorry to digress - butI wouldn't have discovered that if not for BR
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Shivji,
I agree. The average Paki's fondness for swallowing large lumps of the choicest dung whilst singing paeans to the taste, texture and aroma...is incredible.
Just take the present situation..they are getting s*crewed left right and centre with skeletons falling out of the closet 24/7 but the Paki believes that his tight, fair bottom will work wonders in the public perception!
Aarya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aarya »

Originally posted by Rakesh Koshy:

Here are stats of some the HIGH ROLLERS;

cnn.com: 126
rediff.com: 249
indiatimes.com: 375

Any suggestions on how we could get Bharat Rakshak to be part of the 'High Rollers' :D ?
FWIW, since I know already you guys are not going entertain this.

BR has to become an information server. This daily newspaper which is thrashed at the end of the day paradigm will not do it. You need to attract information seekers.
Ashutosh
BRFite

Post by Ashutosh »

Mine could be a silly proposal - however, it will still be not difficult to achieve, and will definitely spread the word.

The assumption is that atleast one admin is browsing/monitoring each BRF thread at a time. (ok, admins will probably say - not true - we don't have time, etc. etc., and forumites will say - not true, more than one thanedar prowling at a time, etc. etc.). Anyways.

The monitoring admin can mark specific posts by members as being good quality, etc. At the end of the day, the posts that get marked as such will get mailed in a daily digest to subscribers of specific forums (not threads - that's too much work for lazy bums).

Believe me - people who don't read BRF regularly will definitely subscribe to such an email-digest service. The readership will definitely increase - since you will be attracting certain sections of the masses that have not enough time to visit BRF regularly and read all the happenings.

Of course, admins could include members like Margaret Blair, George Kerry, Atal Bihari Advani, Jaswant Sinha, Pervez Jamali, Uneven Cohen, Praveen Bedi, Rahul Sawhney, etc. etc. forcibly. Once could also mail the same digest to Washington Crimes, Times of Islamabad, Friday Crimes, Islamabad Express, Whindu, etc. :)
b_ravi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by b_ravi »

I believe that BRF needs to expand into a news portal. Get a license and then get direct info from the Armed Forces like the media. Then this forum would be the only place most have to go to for the latests news on the Indian Armed Forces.
s_nick
BRFite -Trainee

Post by s_nick »

Sounds weird but anyway...

How about a poll on the front page? Convicts News Network uses polls as well as Time mag. Sometimes results of polls are published in other papers.....ie publicity.

For example, we could hold a poll on who is gonna win the India-Pak tour :D
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

It boils down to the fact whether BR wants to be taken as the "source" of "breaking info" ..might be a bit of a nuisance for the admins to manage.
Shashank
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shashank »

In my opinion (FWIW) it is not possible for BR to increase traffic in her present form. We are just so much focused that the focus itself is limiting the veiwership. First of all we being a defense related site, it is not possible to have news like newspapers. Now who is interested in defense and that too Indian defense? Ok there are some people and most of them are Indians. Many indians do not visit BR becasue they are simply not interested in defense related matters for whatever reasons (I am sometimes joked about for spending time on defense related website). Need to find some ways to increase awareness among them.

Another thing is (I know you guys are not going to like it but anyways...) BR is obsessed with Pakistan. Now not many people (non-indians) are interested in Pakistan like we are. They don't care if Pakistanis eat pizza everyday or die of hunger, whether Pakistan builds subs or go to war in ferries. We are.

Even if we talk about our other immediate neighbours, we do not properly recieve comments by chinese. India-China new directions thread was utterly dissapointing where some members were just trashing chinese posters. Ok we have problems with China but no reason to trash each and every chinese labeling him trying to further commie propaganda. That thread sometimes resembled CMF. Compared to that behaviour I believe CDF handles such matters better. I have seen some Indians writing some pretty nasty stuff about China on CDF but memebers there try to reason eith them instead of getting emotional.

Sorry for appearing like lecturing, that was not my intention. Just want to say that we should lessen our Pakistan obssession and receive people without getting emotional.

Another thing that can be done is to broaden the scope of discussions to go beyond Indian defense. Like we see on ACIG or similar forums. We could possibly discuss the merits/demerits of other tanks and fighters that others are interested in.

There are some more things I want to say but may be later. Already this post is getting too big.
b_ravi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by b_ravi »

Shashank, BR is not a general forum like ACIG.org so that is why we're Indian Centric and anti-PRC/Paki. Also ACIG is ranked 358,393 while BR is 83,482. I say increasing the PRC/Paki bashing will only increasing the bandwidth but we should start focusing more on China.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Now who is interested in defense and that too Indian defense? Many indians do not visit BR becasue they are simply not interested
This is true. Interest in defence matters was spiked by Kargil and Op Parakram ... now with the peace talks and cricket interest is bound to go down.

This is exactly what the Pakistan Army counts on, that the Indian public becomes less aggresive and outraged at their game. At the India Today conclave Musharraf had the same message, "don't make war movies" etc.

To increase traffic BR must develop a revenue model (most of the top sites are profit-based) so that it can hold seminars, promote action-based books, comics, movies etc. We should be able to attract the youth ... that is critical for BR's future.
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

Among the top 50 most visited websites, about 20 are in Chinese language.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Originally posted by wrdos:
OOOOH we have a chini bhai who looks at this thread and feels: "I'll show these yindoos I am greater" and then he says what he has said.

So friggin what? It only means that Chinese have reproduced more than India and are allowed access to fewer websites than Indians.

If we want to celebrate and enjoy our little bask in the limelight - why are YOU getting worried enough to come here just to post an item of informatoon that we don't really give a fig about? Makes you feel very happy I supppose.

One up on the Yindoos? Say hi to the ChiCom government from me.
A Bhushan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by A Bhushan »

Nope it is Korean.I can give you names if you like. Korea has one of the highest internet penetration.
Korean site was at number 1 position till last year

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?url=daum.net
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

That's because the Chinese have access to only these 20 sites. :)

One of the websites that is not on the "Chinese Top-20" is slashdot.org, which had this interesting ditty today:
On Friday, China began blocking access to Typepad, a paid weblog hosting service in San Mateo, California. The communist regime previously blocked access to BlogSpot, Blogger's free hosting site. Yan Sham-Shackleton filed a report on the Glutter weblog, mentioning China is '...now using blocking software to stop information from leaking into the county via personal sites, an increasingly vibrant China Internet community, and a place where users are slipping in banned information. Some sites in the blogging community are turning black in protest of this event while others are reporting the incident.'
Geee ... What could possibly be more terrifying and disruptive than a blog .....? I know, I know!! THIS!!! (/me assumes a Falun Gong pose :eek: ).

Now pull up your pants and run along, or I'll make you click on this, and have your beloved Party members kicking in your door before you can say "double click".
mohan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohan »

Great.

This obviously means that the BR 'mandate' of spreading our word is working. Is there any way we can score for this ? Because if we can, maybe that information would help us find ways of reaching out to interested sections (whom we haven't yet brought into the 'fold') specifically.

Maybe we could start with a small survey,asking what the people who visit here often like, what they don't, and what we could change.

Also, is it possible for us to know how many people come to the forum specifically, as against the rest of the site (maybe a question in the survey?) ? If this subset of people is more than the no. of people frequenting the forum, maybe a periodic digest of the forum threads would help.
( A mod. of Ashutosh's suggestion) Agreed this is subsidising their 'laziness' or lack of time, but we do want to increase the reach. Also, we could have volunteer 'compilers' who could handle specific sections, so that the admins will not be burdened. This need not be any analysis, just a compilation of interesting articles over a period of time. Agreed this would be biased due to the 'compilers' choice, but something is better than nothing ?

Since it ought to be a volunteer based exercise, I volunteer.I can compile, but I have zero depth in all topics discussed here. All the same, I can do a forthnightly/monthly thingie, though I will not be responsible for the ensuing drop in the BR viewership :p .

Cheers,
Mohan
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

Hehe, you need updating your post.

Now the second most popular site in the world is a Chinese site, right after the hotmail.

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?catid=16&ts_mode=subject&lang=none

And among the top 50, more than 25 are now Chinese sites, if the 5-6 Taiwan/Hong Kong sites also included.

Yeah, the CPC government often did some nasty censoring job even online, but another undeniable fact is China having the second largest online population in the world.

And soon it will become the No.1.
Originally posted by abhushan:
Nope it is Korean.I can give you names if you like. Korea has one of the highest internet penetration.
Korean site was at number 1 position till last year

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?url=daum.net
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

:) Take it easy, my friend...

So what language do you speak other than English?
Is it even included in this list of languages that http://www.alexa.com/ has an interest to investigate?

It seems that they have more interest on a language as small as Finnish is, than on some languages spoken by maybe hundreds of millions people.

Arabic Chinese (simpl) Chinese (trad) Czech
Danish Dutch English Finnish French German Greek Hebrew Italian Japanese Korean Norwegian
Portugese Russian Spanish Swedish Turkish
Originally posted by Rajesh:
That's because the Chinese have access to only these 20 sites. :)

One of the websites that is not on the "Chinese Top-20" is slashdot.org, which had this interesting ditty today:
On Friday, China began blocking access to Typepad, a paid weblog hosting service in San Mateo, California. The communist regime previously blocked access to BlogSpot, Blogger's free hosting site. Yan Sham-Shackleton filed a report on the Glutter weblog, mentioning China is '...now using blocking software to stop information from leaking into the county via personal sites, an increasingly vibrant China Internet community, and a place where users are slipping in banned information. Some sites in the blogging community are turning black in protest of this event while others are reporting the incident.'
Geee ... What could possibly be more terrifying and disruptive than a blog .....? I know, I know!! THIS!!! (/me assumes a Falun Gong pose :eek: ).

Now pull up your pants and run along, or I'll make you click on this, and have your beloved Party members kicking in your door before you can say "double click".
Kuttan
BRFite

Post by Kuttan »

Awesome! Now BR is on the Top 3 Websites visited by the semi-literate Red Guards / TianAnMen Square Compost-Spreading Tank Division / Wrong Way (Wong Wei) Pilots Association.
To increase traffic BR must develop a revenue model (most of the top sites are profit-based) so that it can hold seminars, promote action-based books, comics, movies etc. We should be able to attract the youth ... that is critical for BR's future.
You (BRF) guys are sadly blinkered by all this garbage about Business Models and Google Rankings. Human interests have not changed that much since the days of Comrade Cheng -kiss Can.

Let me illuminate you with wisdom gleaned from reading "BLITZ" (covertly).

Put a blaring red headline which is completely false. Under that, post a picture of a nekkid wimmens with transonic-area-rule fuselage. Preferably Chinese, since soo many Wong Weis are Wisiting.

Then post links to these Top 25 Chinese-language websites.

(BTW, u forgot to ask the dear Wisitor here whether all 25 of those Top50 Chinese-language sites are *****, or only 24 of them. )
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

When did 5 year olds get to know about "Coke bottle" 36-24-36 statistics, Whitcomb area ruling
and supercritical wing etc? I thought 5 year olds only did japam and Vishnu sahasranamam. Dont see Coke bottles anymore modern engine technology has put paid to that.
appu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by appu »

The LCA is "area ruled" - noticeable from the bottom not so apparent from the top because of blended wing.

Also see http://www.ada.gov.in/Activities/Designanalysis/designanalysis.html
Kuttan
BRFite

Post by Kuttan »

Coke bottle shape changes to tub shape when design mach number (or age) increases. There is a thing called "supersonic (superannuated) area rule".

Coke bottle shape = Age 18-24 or Design Mach number 0.85 to 1.3

Tub shape = Age >30 or Design Mach number >1.6

Just a small item from Wadiant (Wong) Wei Aelodynamics Leader. :D
A Bhushan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by A Bhushan »

Originally posted by Suraj:
One possible suggestion for this website: Some kind of BR news section like Sulekha's newshopper, with Indian military news updated daily along with any links to other sites. The military/strategic news folders could be leveraged for the purpose. Sure, it means greater management overhead, but that would be the cost of higher visibility.

Such a centralized Indian military news section that's frequently updated could increase traffic to the site significantly, compared to the present situation where BR is mostly a comprehensive factual database for reference now and then, along with the children's sandbox called the forums :)

Just my spur-of-the-moment thoughts.
just completed a website {still a lot to do} using xoops. If bharat-rakshak.com wants the headlines that I use, will be happy to share. Take a look
http://www.bharat.name
Rajeev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajeev »

Congrats BR .. good show .

Since sports and general discussions were taken off from BR , people like us were left handicapped , not much to post :)

But the fact remains that where ever you go , you kind of miss BR and that only shows why BR is climbing up in popularity chart .

Keep up the good work !

Rajeev
Manne
BRFite

Post by Manne »

RajRajeev,

Some of the souls from here started India Forum to discuss what could not be discussed here. Do check it out in case you haven't.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Originally posted by Rakesh Koshy:
Hello BRities,

Any suggestions on how we could get Bharat Rakshak to be part of the 'High Rollers' :D ?
With the help of google and their cached servers, you can do wonders. I guess their latest APIs that can come of use.

Have a browser interface that has interlinking of news items based on search criteria. BR prefered options being cached, so that it helps those who seek information.

for example: Arjun tank - the folders contains all links to it, could be a BR favorite searched cache info.

I don't know otherwise
Rajeev
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajeev »

Manne , thanks a lot for the link , I see some popular names over there ie Kaushal , Moody , Hauma Hamiddha et al so would make it a point to register there for sure .