Indian Military Aviation- September 29 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Re: Indian Military Aviation- September 29 2013

Post by GeorgeWelch »

shiv wrote:
sankum wrote:IJT

The IJT has gone through weight gain at clean weight 4250Kg and MTOW of 5400Kg from HAL website.
Sankum all planes show a weight increase between "clean" configuration and fully loaded (MTOW= Max Take Off Weight) configuration. That is no more weight gain that a schoolboy gains weight when he carries his school bag.
I think he might be comparing to earlier specs.

For instance, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_HJT-36_Sitara
Max. takeoff weight: 4,600 kg (10,000 lb)
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Sid wrote:If cost/experience is the concern for AJT, can't we use simulators to fill the gap?

Between PC-7 and Hawk, include simulators to hone trainee pilot skills. For Hands-on experience/qualification we will still have PC-7/Hawk.
Simulators have their own role and they already must play a big role, but they are not able to prpvide the fidelity of every Mission and every mission team interaction.

The additional 100 hours outside of a simulator can shave quite a bit of time in the hawk, and later the operational craft. And a cheap jet trainer has been in the IAF philiosophy courtesy HJT16. They dont want to skip it like most air forces do. Prop, division of fighter/transport streams, AJT, operational conversion, squad training etc is not a new flow. Its quite common. But the current IAF training wants the HJT16 replacement.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

5 Air Strips to Come up on China Border Next Month.

To counter China’s aggressive infrastructure expansion on its eastern front, five advanced air strips will be ready for use next month. These advanced landing grounds, capable of landing all types of transport and military aircraft, are developed in Arunachal Pradesh.

In 2011 the Centre planned to develop seven advanced landing grounds on strategic locations in Arunachal Pradesh such as Tawang, Mechuka, Vijaynagar, Tuting, Passighat, Walong, Ziro and Along at a cost of Rs 720 crore. According to sources, advanced landing grounds in Passighat, Ziro, Along and Mechuka will be ready by next month while the Walong air strip was ready a fortnight ago. And the Tuting and Tawang air strips are expected to be operational early next year.

The office of the Chief Construction engineering, Northeast projects, have managed to upgrade the British-era small, mud-paved landing strip of Walong, which was used during World War II for operations in Burma, to land heavy transport military aircraft like Super Hercules C-130-J, Globemaster C-17 and AN-32 aircraft. Analysts claim that strategically these transport aircraft allow swift movement of troops, artillery guns, armoured vehicles and tanks in case of any contingency.

Sources said that in the case of Vijaynagar airstrip, the state government had built nearly 150 km of roads to develop an advanced landing ground for military operations.Indian agencies have been criticised severally for delayed infrastructure development in the eastern theatre especially on the China border. Recently, it was learnt that Chinese military is expanding six key civilian airfields in Tibet to handle military operations. It is also believed that China is deploying advanced military aircraft and support systems, such as air-to-air refuelling capabilities, airborne advance warning systems, sensors, air defence systems and missile stocks on the border.

However, in contrast, India recently opened three advanced landing grounds (ALG) in Ladakh region at Daulat Beg Oldi, Fuk Che and Nyoma, all close to the nearly 4,000-km Line of Actual Control.

In August 2013, the IAF’s C130J Super Hercules touched down at Daulat Beg Oldie, the world’s highest airfield at an altitude of 16,614 feet, located within 10 km of India’s de-facto border with China.

Since then, there have been regular C-130J flights to Daulat Beg Oldie. The IAF has plans to upgrade the Nyoma ALG, located within 25 km of the border, as well as the Kargil air base into full-fledged airfields.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The specs that our worthies put out for foreign vendors often defies description.The IA's FMBT "family" of AVs has drawn some mirth from firang OEMs and now we have the IJT specs which have drawn a blank. One must ask the Q,whether these specs were deliberately drawn up so that no OEM could met the requirements and whether the GOI/MOD has already shortlisted a few for an immediate urgent purchase?

While the FMBT AV family is a far complicated matter,the IJT issue is far simpler and there are at least half a dozen birds flying which would fit the bill.In order to reduce the time for a decision if the HAL IJT is a dead duck,the RFI should invite OEMs to offer their solutions and pick the best suited to meet the IAF's requrements.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

^^^^ Groan here we go again trying to find a way to oust Indian products. Some people never give up. The IJT had a problem that it would not spin. You missed Shiv's post. The IJT is ready for the spin. Or maybe mother Russia has some product that they want us to buy?
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Boss I fully support Made/make in India. But IJT would neither stall or spin (a characteristic that you need in a trainer). Then there is small matter of post stall and post spin recovery that has not yet been tested (and may take years to master). If you believe the good folks at HAL, their theory says that it should recover. I don't believe that HAL has yet mastered command that they would right a theory and the real would would out of deference follow it. So all in all, it is some years away (most optimistic), unless HAL further screws this up. It was supposed to be a fast tracked project, should have taken few years, has taken more than a decade. And this is HAL own product. I shudder to think, how they treat LCA, who is an orphan.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

I never thought I'd say this about something related to the IAF, but I'm well and truly disgusted today. Seeing the national display team fly & advertise a foreign jet, is simply shameful.

Its one thing for countries that don't have a national aerospace industry, but to transition from a domestic type to a foreign one! Worst part is that people are actually happy about this new development.

May as well put a BAE logo on the IAF flight suits and get the company to pay for advertising.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
IAF pilots flying IAF aircraft assembled by HAL. But you see BAE. The pathology of a salesman. Please stop your faux nationalist drama, no one here takes it seriously.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ Viv S, and the alternative as of now is? Its either numberplating or fly the Hawks, all Kiran Mk 2's have been withdrawn from Suyakiran team for training.

MOD, would have considered numberplating but decided otherwise. So what is the IAF's shame here?
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

eklavya wrote:^^^^
IAF pilots flying IAF aircraft assembled by HAL. But you see BAE. The pathology of a salesman. Please stop your faux nationalist drama, no one here takes it seriously.
That is a BAE Hawk and is globally recognised as a BAE Hawk. Assembling it in India doesn't make it an Indian aircraft. The only thing that now visually distinguishes the SKAT from the Red Arrows is the paint scheme (and a mild distinction at that).

Also, when did you get voted the forum's spokesperson? Kindly don't presume to speak on everyone's behalf.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

deejay wrote:^^^ Viv S, and the alternative as of now is? Its either numberplating or fly the Hawks, all Kiran Mk 2's have been withdrawn from Suyakiran team for training.

MOD, would have considered numberplating but decided otherwise. So what is the IAF's shame here?
I would have been perfectly satisfied with number-plating over the short term.

As for the IAF's role - on one hand we have a standing (and apparently urgent) requirement for IJTs, a role that the Hawk could fulfill perfectly well, combined with an attitude towards a larger Tejas Mk1 order (extending to the PV6) that is indiifferent at best and resistant at worst.

On the other hand, the IAF apparently has enough jet trainers to perform air shows with.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Viv S wrote:
eklavya wrote:^^^^
That is a BAE Hawk and is globally recognised as a BAE Hawk. Assembling it in India doesn't make it an Indian aircraft. The only thing that now visually distinguishes the SKAT from the Red Arrows is the paint scheme (and a mild distinction at that).

Also, when did you get voted the forum's spokesperson? Kindly don't presume to speak on everyone's behalf.
That is an IAF aircraft flown by an IAF pilot. Only a dyed-in-the-wool tout would see BAE instead.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Viv S wrote:
deejay wrote:^^^ Viv S, and the alternative as of now is? Its either numberplating or fly the Hawks, all Kiran Mk 2's have been withdrawn from Suyakiran team for training.

As for the IAF's role - on one hand we have a standing (and apparently urgent) requirement for IJTs, a role that the Hawk could fulfill perfectly well, combined with an attitude towards a larger Tejas Mk1 order (extending to the PV6) that is indiifferent at best and resistant at worst.

On the other hand, the IAF apparently has enough jet trainers to perform air shows with.
You don't seem to understand - the decision is MOD's and the IAf submits only proposals. Numberplating a sqn has a other impacts but I do not have the facts in hand. All options would have been part of proposal. MOD decided on sanctioning the Hawks. IAF cannot refuse to put in all options.

AFAIK, for last one year at least IAF has survived without flying any Formation Aerobatics.

On the question of Hawk availability - Obviously, they are available hence the allocation. Why are they available - are the no. of trainees graduating from AFA lesser than earlier? Probably as the number of available Kiran's are low, it could happen - but I am speculating.

The thing is - the decision is MOD's - that is where the responsibility lies. If IAF has to be responsible, let them decide on all matters and then call out its failures.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S wrote:
I never thought I'd say this about something related to the IAF, but I'm well and truly disgusted today. Seeing the national display team fly & advertise a foreign jet, is simply shameful.
This is only because you are not old enough to have seen the Hawker Hunter "Thunderbolts" team of the IAF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5naSNvc1Q_k

In a decade the same team will fly the IJT and a generaation younger than you will be content for 10-15 years like my generation was seeing the HJT 16.

By the way have you seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFwtmxwuzY

And surely you know about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfKb3rHbr4I
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ Shiv Sir, interesting that you bring Thunderbolt discussion into this. I am sure most on the forum would be aware of them. They were disbanded in 1990.

http://aerobaticteams.net/thunderbolts.html

Here is a video.

Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

deejay wrote:
Viv S wrote:quote="deejay"^^^ Viv S, and the alternative as of now is? Its either numberplating or fly the Hawks, all Kiran Mk 2's have been withdrawn from Suyakiran team for training.

MOD, would have considered numberplating but decided otherwise. So what is the IAF's shame here?/quote

You don't seem to understand - the decision is MOD's and the IAf submits only proposals. Numberplating a sqn has a other impacts but I do not have the facts in hand. All options would have been part of proposal. MOD decided on sanctioning the Hawks. IAF cannot refuse to put in all options.

AFAIK, for last one year at least IAF has survived without flying any Formation Aerobatics.

On the question of Hawk availability - Obviously, they are available hence the allocation. Why are they available - are the no. of trainees graduating from AFA lesser than earlier? Probably as the number of available Kiran's are low, it could happen - but I am speculating.

The thing is - the decision is MOD's - that is where the responsibility lies. If IAF has to be responsible, let them decide on all matters and then call out its failures.
Extra hawks were purpose ordered for SKs. Whether having them for training would change the dynamics for IJT is another question. As far as I can tell sitting on thevpavement 10000 miles away, the IAF isnt dynamic enough to drop the IJT stage entirely for now. An IJT will be added to replace the 16s, whether a Hawk-lite or a HAL product is anybody's guess.

edited: to make sense.
Last edited by Shreeman on 13 Sep 2015 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

shiv wrote:This is only because you are not old enough to have seen the Hawker Hunter "Thunderbolts" team of the IAF
I am too young to have seen in person as you perhaps did (?) but I was still aware of it. The Hunter's however were an obsolete type in process of being phased out. The Hawks in contrast are brand new single purpose aircraft during a period that the IAF faces a severe squadron crunch.
In a decade the same team will fly the IJT and a generaation younger than you will be content for 10-15 years like my generation was seeing the HJT 16.
The prudent course would be to first ensure that the IAF has a full quota of jet trainers, and then order additional units of an Indian aircraft for this completely non-essential role. I would have preferred the Tejas with the ability to switch over to a combat role if required, but the IJT would be the next best thing.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Whether having them for training would change the dynamics for IJT is another question. As far as I can tell sitting on thevpavement 10000 miles away, the IAF isnt dynamic enough to drop the IJT stage entirely for now. An IJT will be added to replace the 16s, whether a Hawk-lite or a HAL product is anybody's guess.
I will not be surprised if the IJT stage is dropped entirely. If and when the IJT is ready to be inducted, it will serve in an AJT role in a parallel stream. i.e the IAF will have a two stage trainign, with the PC-7 being both your basic as well as your Intermediate trainer..
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

deejay wrote:You don't seem to understand - the decision is MOD's and the IAf submits only proposals. Numberplating a sqn has a other impacts but I do not have the facts in hand. All options would have been part of proposal. MOD decided on sanctioning the Hawks. IAF cannot refuse to put in all options.
At best that means that the blame is shared. That said, its unlikely that the push to restart the team came from the MoD. Besides, for better or worse, like most people, I hold the IAF to a higher standard.
I am confident it could survive another 10 years without formation aerobatics, which should have been the lowest priority acquisition for the service.

There absolutely no reason why the IAF can have a need for IJTs and have surplus Hawks available at the same time.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

eklavya wrote:That is an IAF aircraft flown by an IAF pilot. Only a dyed-in-the-wool tout would see BAE instead.
So those who think an Indian display team should fly an Indian aircraft are now 'touts' for the national industry. :roll:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S wrote: I am too young to have seen in person as you perhaps did (?) but I was still aware of it. The Hunter's however were an obsolete type in process of being phased out.
No sir this is totally wrong. They were in service and fully serviceable when the team was current. Hunters were finally retired in 1996. Bharat Rakshak came online in 1997 IIRC - so not that ancient

The idea of an aerobatic team is partly to build up good formation flying skills and partly to advertise the air force to people who produce the recruits. Since the planes are always performing manoeuvres that stress the airframe and pilot they are never planes that are decrepit or outdated. At least not in the IAF. But they also select fully mature planes.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S wrote: I am confident it could survive another 10 years without formation aerobatics, which should have been the lowest priority acquisition for the service.
You are saying that you are confident that good formation flying skills are the lowest priority for the IAF.

yeah right! :D
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

It would be wonderful if IAF resurrect the "Thunderbolts" with Tejas and Navy its "Sagar Pawan" with LCA Navy
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Viv S wrote:
eklavya wrote:That is an IAF aircraft flown by an IAF pilot. Only a dyed-in-the-wool tout would see BAE instead.
So those who think an Indian display team should fly an Indian aircraft are now 'touts' for the national industry. :roll:
Quit the faux nationalism, you are fooling no one but yourself.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

shiv wrote:No sir this is totally wrong. They were in service and fully serviceable when the team was current. Hunters were finally retired in 1996. Bharat Rakshak came online in 1997 IIRC - so not that ancient

The idea of an aerobatic team is partly to build up good formation flying skills and partly to advertise the air force to people who produce the recruits. Since the planes are always performing manoeuvres that stress the airframe and pilot they are never planes that are decrepit or outdated. At least not in the IAF. But they also select fully mature planes.
In that case, would I be right in assuming that these aircraft would have been employed in a combat role in wartime? Didn't they all belong to the No. 20 Squadron?

Question is, are we facing an urgent recruiting crisis? Why shouldn't we able able to wait for an Indian type? And if we do intend to switch to an domestic type (which I strongly doubt), wouldn't the existing Hawks become surplus to requirements?
shiv wrote:You are saying that you are confident that good formation flying skills are the lowest priority for the IAF.

yeah right! :D
Does the SKAT team 'teach' formation flying to all other IAF units, or do all other IAF pilots rotate through the SKAT team? In the years without an aerobatic team was the IAF deficient when it came to formation flying skills?
Last edited by Viv S on 13 Sep 2015 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

eklavya wrote:Quit the faux nationalism, you are fooling no one but yourself.
True to form, any criticism of military choices vis a vis domestic products is your cue to flame the thread.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Further to my previous post and slightly off the current discussions I have something interesting to share on this:

Formation aircraft displays are complicated and require tremendous practice. The video of the Thunderbolts is a 09 aircraft formation flight. As a practice, it is the largest size that globally formation teams acquire (Not a rule).

Thunderbolts stayed at 09 ac for a short time or so we were told. Suryakirans themselves graduated to 09 ac in stages. For sometime they flew 04 ac and then 06 aircraft shows and finally graduated to 09 ac. Suryakirans also had both the vertical routine and the horizontal routine.

We were trainees at Bidar in 1998 and we were co-located with the Suryakirans. It was a major plus for us at Bidar. In may of our Close Formation solos, the lead aircraft would be manned by Suryakiran pilots to ease the instructor congestion.

But the most interesting part came up because of flight safety. There was a rule (should still be there) - If even one aircraft is being flown solo by a trainee at least one other aircraft being flown by an instructor has to be airborne, else no solo would fly. There were eight sectors in Bidar and then there was airspace overhead. On days the FAT were to fly the situation would become exciting. To accommodate flying this was how it was planned and how it panned out in air:

A Kiran Mk 1/ 1A under normal Ops would be good for about 01:00 hr beyond which the fuel figures would be stressful for trainees. The Suryakiran routine would take 0:45 hrs. To accommodate this, the detail just prior to the Suryakiran team would have one instructor manned aircraft holding fort overhead while 08 solos would get airborne quickly. Next the Suryakirans would take off and the previous instructor would land. Suryakirans had many QFI's so there was no problems. The solos would each go to their sector respectively and the Suryakirans would do their display overhead. Their upper deck was 10000 feet AMSL. At around 0:45 mins from take off the solos would rejoin and come overhead. Stacked at 1000 feet separation one over the other starting from 12000 feet AMSL . The last 03 would be held back in sector.

All the solos overhead had just one idea in mind - be in the best seat in the balcony above. The last maneuver of the Suryakirans was the "Bomb burst" and the FAT leader, Wg Cdr Murgai would lead all 09 ac into vertical dive and they would radiate outwards in all directions. This final maneuver was accomplished by Wg Cdr Murgai calling out "Suryakirans - Bomb burst, bomb burst go" and they would all come together with smoke trailing in multiple hues and all of us rookies trying to fly on our level and look down at the spectacle.

Immediately after this the FAT leader would would flyout wide and his team would proceed for landing. All eight solos one after the other would beeline behind them, by now happy to be landing. It is a rear call in air but the ATC in AFS Bidar has given calls like "Eight One Niner, you are no. 12 on downwind" and Eight One Niner would see 11 aircraft ahead of him in the landing sequence with Suryakirans landing in 03 aircraft formations.

More about Suryakirans here :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surya_Kiran

Sadly for us, we lost Wg Cdr Murgai later. He died in an air crash after he had left the FAT.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Viv S wrote:
deejay wrote:You don't seem to understand - the decision is MOD's and the IAf submits only proposals. Numberplating a sqn has a other impacts but I do not have the facts in hand. All options would have been part of proposal. MOD decided on sanctioning the Hawks. IAF cannot refuse to put in all options.
At best that means that the blame is shared. That said, its unlikely that the push to restart the team came from the MoD. Besides, for better or worse, like most people, I hold the IAF to a higher standard.
But you truly disappointed only with IAF. If the blame has to be shared (If there is any blame) share your true disappointment with MOD too :) . The news headline said MOD decision.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Viv S wrote:
eklavya wrote:Quit the faux nationalism, you are fooling no one but yourself.
True to form, any criticism of military choices vis a vis domestic products is your cue to flame the thread.
No one sees you as a supporter of domestic development. Like I said, you fool nobody. The SKAT is IAF pilots flying IAF aircraft. Would you care to disclose who you work for?
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

deejay wrote:We were trainees at Bidar in 1998 and we were co-located with the Suryakirans. It was a major plus for us at Bidar. In may of our Close Formation solos, the lead aircraft would be manned by Suryakiran pilots to ease the instructor congestion.
:-? SK pilots in choppers or are you referring to mixed formation flights (hptr+JT)?

BTW please consider writing an article for BRF. Would be nice to record these on a more easily accessible part of the site.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

eklavya wrote:No one sees you as a supporter of domestic development. Like I said, you fool nobody. The SKAT is IAF pilots flying IAF aircraft. Would you care to disclose who you work for?
There you go again, speaking for everyone on the forum. At least request a public mandate through a poll or something. And I work for Lockheed Martin of course. Just as you suspected. Also get the occasional payoff from Boeing.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Viv S wrote:
deejay wrote:We were trainees at Bidar in 1998 and we were co-located with the Suryakirans. It was a major plus for us at Bidar. In may of our Close Formation solos, the lead aircraft would be manned by Suryakiran pilots to ease the instructor congestion.
:-? SK pilots in choppers or are you referring to mixed formation flights (hptr+JT)?

BTW please consider writing an article for BRF. Would be nice to record these on a more easily accessible part of the site.
Viv S in my time we had enough trainers. So all under trainees would fly fixed wing for the ab initio stage (HPT 32) and intermediate stage (HJT 16). It is after this stage that pilots would be tri-furcated to Fighters (fire in a$$), Helicopters (Ceiling Fans) and Transports (Table Fans) :D .

I moved to helicopters after this stage. 8)
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

deejay wrote:Viv S in my time we had enough trainers. So all under trainees would fly fixed wing for the ab initio stage (HPT 32) and intermediate stage (HJT 16). It is after this stage that pilots would be tri-furcated to Fighters (fire in a$$), Helicopters (Ceiling Fans) and Transports (Table Fans) :D .

I moved to helicopters after this stage. 8)
Did the training on HPTs and IJTs help adapt to helicopters? What was training thereafter like? Do IA pilots also start out on turboprops or do they go straight to Chetaks? (I would imagine a rotor wing craft would behave very differently from a fixed wing aircraft.) Also, do you have any rookies in the Mi-35 squadrons or does everyone first serve in a Mi-17 squadron?

Added later: How many Kiran operational training squadrons were there at Bidar at the time?
Last edited by Viv S on 13 Sep 2015 20:57, edited 2 times in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S wrote: Does the SKAT team 'teach' formation flying to all other IAF units, or do all other IAF pilots rotate through the SKAT team? In the years without an aerobatic team was the IAF deficient when it came to formation flying skills?
The IAF is never without an aerobatic team. The public may not see it but it is always there.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S wrote: Question is, are we facing an urgent recruiting crisis? Why shouldn't we able able to wait for an Indian type? And if we do intend to switch to an domestic type (which I strongly doubt), wouldn't the existing Hawks become surplus to requirements?
You are suggesting that the IAF wait for a recruiting crisis and then quickly form an aerobatic team? No it cannot work that way. An aerobatic team needs constant practice and the public consists of people from 3 years to 18 yeras and older any of whom may get inspired and respond to a future recruitment call

Your main argument seems to be that an aerobatic team should be an "Indian type"? Why? If the Thunderbolts and Mirage teams were good do you believe that the team performance was an advertisement for the aircraft of for pilot skills?

You might have seen this video - which country do you believe was being advertised in this - starting from the point linked below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... xN_18#t=34
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

shiv wrote:The IAF is never without an aerobatic team. The public may not see it but it is always there.
All IAF pilots are trained in and practice formation flying. Its a basic part of the curriculum. Expecting to sharpen it through exposure to a highly specialized display team (how would that work?) is a dubious notion.
shiv wrote:You are suggesting that the IAF wait for a recruiting crisis and then quickly form an aerobatic team? No it cannot work that way. An aerobatic team needs constant practice and the public consists of people from 3 years to 18 yeras and older any of whom may get inspired and respond to a future recruitment call

Your main argument seems to be that an aerobatic team should be an "Indian type"? Why? If the Thunderbolts and Mirage teams were good do you believe that the team performance was an advertisement for the aircraft of for pilot skills?
On the contrary, I'm saying the display team has a limited direct impact on recruiting efforts in this age of Youtube and HDTV, unlike the 80s & 90s when the general public had minimal exposure to the air force. Its a good-to-have option but definitely not a urgent must-have.

As for why the aircraft should be a domestic type, I believe the average citizen would (or at least should) take greater pride in an Indian pilot flying a true Indian aircraft (not one just locally assembled), serving as a symbol of industrial achievement not just piloting achievement. And on overseas trips the SKAT may actually help our exports by showcasing an aircraft.

And then there are the more obvious reasons for choosing a domestic aircraft over a foreign one - basically the same as for any domestic weapon system over imported types.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Viv S wrote:...

Did the training on HPTs and IJTs help adapt to helicopters? What was training thereafter like? Do IA pilots also start out on turboprops or do they go straight to Chetaks? (I would imagine a rotor wing craft would behave very differently from a fixed wing aircraft.) Also, do you have any rookies in the Mi-35 squadrons or does everyone first serve in a Mi-17 squadron?
Fixed wing training definitely helps in flying helicopters. Instrument Flying, Close Formation, Night Flying, Navigation etc remain the same. Understanding medium of air, understanding flying, flying rules etc. also remains same. Theories of Aerodynamics, Avionics, Instruments, Engines, Aviation Medicine, Meteorology also remain same. What is added for rotary wing is Hover and Rotor Dynamics and what changes a lot is approach power management during landing. So, our syllabus for helicopter training was short (or shorter than these days).

Fixed flying has been done away for helicopter pilots for now.

Earlier, at FIS even helicopter pilots would reconvert to fixed wing and train on both HPT and HJT 16 as QFI's. IMO, what it did was develop a great cross cultural understanding and shove coming to push there was a pool of fighter pilots available in the helicopter stream too. Even today I know of at least 01 helicopter pilot training pupils on Pilatus.

The main reason was to not branch out pilots prior to getting a clear understanding of the ability of the trainee. Fighter Pilots get highest priority in terms of intake. Unfortunately in today's scenario pilots are getting trifurcated before they commence flying. This does not test a pilots capability to grasp quickly and move in to fighters. Ideally IAF would want the best among trainees to be fighter pilots. Today, that is not happening.

For Mi 35's or attack choppers, no one went straight into those. And even those who went into attack helicopters could be reconverted to Mi 17's or Chetak / Cheetahs. Lots of cross conversion and availability of different type experienced pilots in unit at all times. This adds tremendous value to IAF's in house skills and cross functional understanding in Ops.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

deejay wrote:Unfortunately in today's scenario pilots are getting trifurcated before they commence flying. This does not test a pilots capability to grasp quickly and move in to fighters. Ideally IAF would want the best among trainees to be fighter pilots. Today, that is not happening.
I heard that they were being trifuricated after the Basic Flying Stage. The way I interpret the above is that they allocate who goes to Fighters/Helis/Transports BEFORE they start the Basic Flying Training? How are they doing that?
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Jagan wrote:
deejay wrote:Unfortunately in today's scenario pilots are getting trifurcated before they commence flying. This does not test a pilots capability to grasp quickly and move in to fighters. Ideally IAF would want the best among trainees to be fighter pilots. Today, that is not happening.
I heard that they were being trifuricated after the Basic Flying Stage. The way I interpret the above is that they allocate who goes to Fighters/Helis/Transports BEFORE they start the Basic Flying Training? How are they doing that?
Those who wear Rayban Aviators become fighter jocks. :)