BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by Manish_P »

Thank you kind sirs. I truly appreciate it.

I cannot explain it.. it's just that now i won't feel like i am posting in belgium rakhshak :)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Thanks Rahul M ji.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Rahul M wrote:please use the military miscellaneous. it's a stickied thread that could use more posters.
name can be changed if needed.
let me know what you think, in feedback thread.
Viv S wrote:Yes that sound's ideal. Renaming it 'General Indian Military News & Discussions' or something similar would make it more accessible.

A lot of the stuff that goes into the aviation/army threads is off-topic but still deserving of discussion.

Also, it would be nice if you could transfer the 4-5 posts in the locked thread to that thread. Thanks.
:?: :?:

Any progress on the matter?

We really need some place where issues related to the MoD, procurement, inter-services relations, or other topics that aren't specific to a single service can be discussed.

Take this for example - New defence procurement policy cleared, blacklisting policy coming soon

Do we discuss this in on the Army thread, the Naval issues thread or Mil Aviation thread? Its certainly not a minor bit of news to be posted on the 'Misc' thread.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Hellooo..? Anybody?

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

done.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Rahul M wrote:done.
Thank You. :D
member_29164
BRFite -Trainee

Introduction

Post by member_29164 »

Hi,

My name is Sumit Sharma. I am from New Delhi, India. I like to say hello to all members.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

boss, BRF is BRF because we try and keep the discourse at a certain level. that has always been enforced, though more leniently nowadays. it's not that difficult to judge how well informed a debater is, for someone who has been there before.

sincere request, if a mod asks you to read up before engaging in a certain discussion it's only because those points would have been already hashed and reshaed n number of times and a repetition would serve no purpose.

p.s. it's not a good idea to bait mods either.
member_29064
BRFite

Post by member_29064 »

hello!
i could think of only this thread to post this (& the OT thread), so kindly excuse if its deemed inappropriate here. want some suggestions on saving & organising BRF posts. i find the content of this forum indispensable for gaining knowledge, saving for quick later reference and counter-strike and bump off BS propaganda, disinfo, rhetorics, mischievous gossip-mongering & wrong notions. i have recently started saving posts from some threads here into a notes-saving software called 'evernote'. however am feeling its falling short in optimum organising, so looking into some other options now. does anybody here do a similar exercise? what i do is i copy any post, note the thread-name, author, and page no., and save them in 'pages' named after the threads in evernote. its time-consuming so unable to do daily, but whenever i can. now there's no tree-structure kind of format available in evernote so it becomes very limited. hence have looked for other options like treedbnotes, surfulater, etc., and going to try them. any suggestions anyone pls, on any better way to do such a thing? will BRF archiver tool be helpful?

TIA!
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^
The BRF Archiver tool has a feature to allow saving posts in a thread from a particular author (or set of authors). You can use this feature to pull out all the useful posts out of a thread and save them locally on your disk.
member_29064
BRFite

Post by member_29064 »

ArmenT wrote:^^^
The BRF Archiver tool has a feature to allow saving posts in a thread from a particular author (or set of authors). You can use this feature to pull out all the useful posts out of a thread and save them locally on your disk.
thanks. will try it. but when here almost all posts are worth saving, then an alternative will be reqd to be used.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^
It also allows you to back up complete threads as well. By the way, there is also now an android version, in case you're interested.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

admin-ji,

mera naam bhi badal do.... to yayavar

thanks
Great to have BRF back. Good Independence day gift :)

Please rename to yayavar again ... has reverted back since the reset.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

@Webmaster and the guys who worked on getting br up and running again : many thanks!

I recall baki forum going down the day BR went down.
For a while I thought it was initiation of virtual aar paar ki ladai.

Too bad the hardware crashed.
But I'm glad we are back and up and running.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Youtube tag not working - eg this post of mine
viewtopic.php?p=2036043#p2036043
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

Good to have BRF back. Could we please have have the old background colours as well.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Quoting from the locked BR Forum Feedback thread for context.
arment wrote:Thanks for putting in the work to bring the forum back. One small request: there was a small group of people who were setup as the BRF Mainsite Crew. I was a member of that group and don't seem to be a member anymore. Would it be possible to set that group up again please.
Rahul M wrote:Armen, I will look into it, time permitting. Do you remember the members ?
TIA.
There were quite a few of them, but the ones that I worked with are: jagan, rohitvats, vaibhav_n, jjamwal, prasannasimha, indranil, abhijitn, elmihiro.
Thanks in advance.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Why are we not hosting BR in AWS? This would ensure 100% redundancy, high availability and data recovery at a lesser cost than the current architecture.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

Ok, my login is working
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

Thanks for all the efforts to bring the forum back online. I have 2 questions:

1) Was there anything an aam member like me could have done to help with the efforts?
2) Is there a way to get back the old board style? The 2 options that I tried in the board preferences didn't help.
la.khan
BRFite

Post by la.khan »

Hi,

I like the new look of the forum after it was restored from disk crash.

One niggle I found is that when I click on link Board Index (located at the top of this page), I do NOT see list of forums (Strategic, GDF, military, economic etc). The link points to index.php but I see a blank page.

Also, can you restore BRF logo? I do not see it anywhere.
M_Joshi
BRFite

Post by M_Joshi »

Dear Mods,

If we choose the theme of 'subsilver2' then the Board Index is not visible on the home page. Many other users are having that issue. Kindly rectify.
Using 'pro silver' is not an option because it's design is lopsided & 'subsilver2' is nearer to the old theme.
Christopher Sidor
BRFite

Post by Christopher Sidor »

Thanks to all those who put in effort to get this up and running again. If there is something we can do to assist you guys in making sure that this does not happen again or help you in the backup plan please do let us know.

Happy Independence Day to everybody.
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

A Himalayan Thanks for bringing the website up again. I'm lucky to be able to login too!

Now, If only we can bring back the old color theme to bring back the good old days!
saumitra_j
BRFite

Post by saumitra_j »

Thanks folks for bringing an important part of my life back! Thanks for the great effort and wish you all a very happy independence day!
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Thanks BRF admins who worked hard to get back the forum. Kudos.

Now please bring the classic theme back :D
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ArmenT wrote:Quoting from the locked BR Forum Feedback thread for context.
arment wrote:Thanks for putting in the work to bring the forum back. One small request: there was a small group of people who were setup as the BRF Mainsite Crew. I was a member of that group and don't seem to be a member anymore. Would it be possible to set that group up again please.
Rahul M wrote:Armen, I will look into it, time permitting. Do you remember the members ?
TIA.
There were quite a few of them, but the ones that I worked with are: jagan, rohitvats, vaibhav_n, jjamwal, prasannasimha, indranil, abhijitn, elmihiro.
Thanks in advance.
restored mainsite crew permissions for the above honourable members with following caveat :
wasn't sure which abhijit, there are a few with various combinations of m,n & N.
Jag & Indranil get permissions by virtue of their mod ranks.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

Well done folks. Keep the spirits up. Happy Independence Day.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

M_Joshi wrote:Dear Mods,

If we choose the theme of 'subsilver2' then the Board Index is not visible on the home page. Many other users are having that issue. Kindly rectify.
Using 'pro silver' is not an option because it's design is lopsided & 'subsilver2' is nearer to the old theme.
Same problem.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Finally BRF is back, i am so happy and glad.

Secretly i was hoping for another forum instead of phpBB, i know its tough task to migrate to something else but still.

Can we get avatar feature in this one, new should be an upgrade to the old.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Thanks to all who worked hard to get the forum up and running. Hip hip Huzzha x 3.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

To the technical people managing the web hosting of BR - are you considering hosting BR in AWS? I think it will be reliable, highly available and redundant at a significantly lower cost. Let me know if you need help.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Glad to see this up again! Thanks to all who worked hard to get it back.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

SRoy wrote:
M_Joshi wrote:Dear Mods,

Same problem.
If you use the subsilver2 theme, you will not be able to see the Board Index, unless you click on the "Unread Posts" link (which will show on the top right when you select the subsilver2 theme -- you can also select Your Posts or New Posts from the top right), or the Unanswered Topics or Active Topics link on the top left. These links only show for the subsilver2 theme, not for prosilver. Also, the subsilver2 theme does NOT show the BR Logo on the top left.

Fixing that theme will take some resources. I'm not an admin and don't know the inner workings for this site, but remember that this site is managed by volunteers who may not have the time/skill/motivation to fix the subsilver2 theme right away. Your call on whether you want to use an unsupported theme, or better still, get into shut-up-and-hack mode and fix it yourself :-)
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

@Rahul M: Thanks much for restoring the mainsite crew permissions sir. Regarding Abhijit, I'm not sure of his BRF login here, but I know his last name which I'd rather not post openly, but can PM you if needed. Would that help in figuring out which account it is, alternatively he can pipe up himself :-).

By the way, I also found why the embedded youtube links aren't working, and posted the cause in the Main Site Feedback thread.
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

I would like to be readded to mainsite crew as well. Volunteered for updating space pages a while ago. I haunt the Railways thread as well.

Now that we have the forum back up, where does the mainsite crew gather :)

A Nandy
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Great Job BR Admins getting the forum back online.
Had suffered major withdrawl symptoms, during the intervening period.
No other discussion forum matches the intellectul depth of this one.
Lets get the forum going once again!
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

a question rather
while logging in i see a "Facebook" button, what it is for? i did not click it, what with spending 2 months in total darkness without BRF
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

heads up to all "BR Mainsite Crew" I have restored privileges to all those who posted in that forum's roll call thread, except 2 members whose ID's have been lost.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Can we resurrect the Islamism threads focused on Indian sub continent. It is important to keep documenting the effects of this ideology on the land mass in question, responses, etc. The other Islamism thread has many things from west Asia, Africa, EU, US, etc and looses focus.

The rise of IS in India, Kashmir, polarization of votes due to religion, Social media radicalization. Hopefully, we can expand on the way forward for Islam and muslims in India, something that the old threads did not go into sufficiently as its focus was largely on the theoretical and historical underpinnings of the doctrine. Expanding upon the social, economic and political (non-partisan and non-electoral) aspects of the issues needs expansion and understanding.

Beyond the epithets of secular, communal, etc, there is a need to document, understand and explore with a Indic region focus.

Understand that there are issues created with bigotry and hate generated due to such a focus but if Mods feel it can be managed, request such a thread in the Strategic forum --- by definition no politics. Thanks.