Eastern Europe/Ukraine [Feb 6th 2015]

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
GShankar
BRFite

Re: Eastern Europe/Ukraine [Feb 6th 2015]

Post by GShankar »

Tanaji wrote: So if the Azov battalion is a tiny fraction of Ukrainian military why doesnt Banian-sky stand up on the platform and say he denounces this battalion and that it should be disbanded? He has had plenty of chances to do so before the war and doing do would have taken out a central plank of Putins propaganda . Yet he has maintained total silence on this, which speaks volumes. Then also there is the treatment meted out to non white people including Indians. There are reports of Bangladeshi students been held as human shields by Ukranians. Historical records show Ukranians supported Nazis in WW2… the article does a stellar job at sweeping the facts under the carpet.
western logic - while it is established that there are good taliban and bad taliban, why can't one use this opportunity to identify good nazis vs the bad nazis?
Tanaji wrote: Also, can someone contrast Mariupol shelling with what happened in Iraq and Fallujah? Oh wait a minute…
You seem to forget - that was done in the right side of history..
skumar
BRFite

Post by skumar »

The question needs to be asked - Is Zelenskyy fighting for a Nobel Peace prize or for the people of his country?
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
President Zelensky is the democratically elected leader of a sovereign country that is resisting a brutal invasion. Ukraine is united behind President Zelensky and in their resistance to the brutal invasion by President Putin.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

skumar wrote:The question needs to be asked - Is Zelenskyy fighting for a Nobel Peace prize or for the people of his country?
Good qn.. wonder whether the man himself knows.. he seems to have that persecution complex so by default not fallible and its his right that everyone supports him.. this is more of a personality disorder, divorced from any reality
banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

eklavya wrote:^^^^
President Zelensky is the democratically elected leader of a sovereign country that is resisting a brutal invasion. Ukraine is united behind President Zelensky and in their resistance to the brutal invasion by President Putin.
Yes he won by a landslide became repressive and corrupt and his popularity tanked. But now he is lionized by the west and also becomes a key conduit for western weapons. Russia also needs him to survive so that negotiations are perceived as legitimate.
banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

In some interviews , Some of the far right militia did not like zelensky and their plan was to first get back donbass and then come back and overthrow Zelensky. But right now they need his “talents”. Russians also need him.

He is everybody’s guy
skumar
BRFite

Post by skumar »

Since the war started, Zelenskyy has offered to renounce NATO based on conditional guarantees and now he is prepared to talk about Donbass.

His initial assessment was incorrect. He is now holding back on Crimea which is a fait accompli anyway. This can only be based on an assessment of a stalemate being possible. A player can lay terms only if he has some cards to play.

He has advocated total war ("people of cities will not agree to surrender", "Russia will have to take empty cities") which places his people at risk and increases the intensity of bombardment.

Does he think he can force Russia out by winning an information war? Has he pushed Ukraine into a corner? Is he prolonging the suffering of his people?
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Wasnt Yanukovych democratically elected?
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Some horrific videos floating around about the death of the Azov commander in Mariupol. Just a heads up.
skumar wrote:
Baikul wrote: ...............

You mentioned 3 goals above that Putin has backed off on -
1. utter domination of the entire nation - would an agreement by force not be utter domination?
2. total regime change in Ukraine - Russia is beginning to see the value of pawns like Zelenskyy who is under threat in Ukraine from the Nazis (as Ritter says, no one else has to call them Nazis since they call themselves as Nazis). They are probably holding Zelenskyy at gun point threatening to blow off his head if he capitulates.
3. significant demilitarisation - do you think this war will end without Russia defanging Ukraine as they see it? The Azov battalions will be disbanded from whatever Ukrainian army that is allowed to exist, no NATO presence even in "bio-labs" etc.
I gives this is still within topic so here’s my answer

1. No. Putin’s goals to quickly overcome all of Ukraine as a vassal state is what that would be. Which isn’t happening by a long shot. What he will get at best (emphasis there) is a stand-off.

2. Anyone who calls Zelenskyy a pawn of Russia (and all the term means), well that’s so amazing I don’t know what to say any more.

3. We shall see. I think Russia will win this war, but as I said on day two or three, they will pay for it in the medium to long term.
yogeshkumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yogeshkumar »

Lara Logan, Experienced Award Winning Journalist Drops TRUTH BOMBS ABOUT RUSSIA.

https://rumble.com/vy5b03-lara-logan-ex ... t-rus.html
yogeshkumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yogeshkumar »

remember the Ukrainian propaganda of pregnant woman getting injured in Hospital bombing. That turned out to be an Instagram Influencer.

here is she again: https://rumble.com/vy57ed-22.03.2022.-d ... raine.html
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

some US based experts(?) now talking of Ukrainian offense https://twitter.com/thrussophile2/statu ... 5798857741

Also there are news floating about the FSB mutiny
skumar
BRFite

Post by skumar »

skumar wrote: 1. utter domination of the entire nation - would an agreement by force not be utter domination?
Baikul wrote: 1. No. Putin’s goals to quickly overcome all of Ukraine as a vassal state is what that would be. Which isn’t happening by a long shot. What he will get at best (emphasis there) is a stand-off.
We disagree about Putin's goals in Ukraine. I do not believe Russia wants Ukraine to be a vassal state. He would not be invading with 200k troops against roughly 200k Ukrainian troops trained by NATO if that were the case. It is a fact that Russia has not pulled out its big guns. I agree that he may have wanted to change leadership which he genuinely believes are influenced by Nazis and there is more than enough evidence out there beginning from Ukraine's conduct during WW2 to recent events when Hero of Ukraine medals were handed out to accused Nazi collaborators like Stepan Bandera.
skumar wrote: 2. total regime change in Ukraine - Russia is beginning to see the value of pawns like Zelenskyy who is under threat in Ukraine from the Nazis (as Ritter says, no one else has to call them Nazis since they call themselves as Nazis). They are probably holding Zelenskyy at gun point threatening to blow off his head if he capitulates.
Baikul wrote: 2. Anyone who calls Zelenskyy a pawn of Russia (and all the term means), well that’s so amazing I don’t know what to say any more.
That is not what I said if you read it again. I meant Russia sees Zelenskyy as a pawn of the west and now sees a value in using him too. Russia will want sanctions to be eased off, Zelenskyy will play a role.
skumar wrote: 3. significant demilitarisation - do you think this war will end without Russia defanging Ukraine as they see it? The Azov battalions will be disbanded from whatever Ukrainian army that is allowed to exist, no NATO presence even in "bio-labs" etc.
Baikul wrote: 3. We shall see. I think Russia will win this war, but as I said on day two or three, they will pay for it in the medium to long term.
We shall see. Russia will get what they wanted to begin with, they never wanted to occupy Ulraine. Sanctions will be eased off within 3-5 months.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

yogeshkumar wrote:remember the Ukrainian propaganda of pregnant woman getting injured in Hospital bombing. That turned out to be an Instagram Influencer.

What? SIGNAL was NAZI propaganda magazine during WWII. Is it still around?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

rsingh wrote:
yogeshkumar wrote:remember the Ukrainian propaganda of pregnant woman getting injured in Hospital bombing. That turned out to be an Instagram Influencer.

What? SIGNAL was NAZI propaganda magazine during WWII. Is it still around?
I had posted pics of the lady and details in previous posts.. she is a member of an Ukrainian intelligence wing
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

Baikul wrote:Some horrific videos floating around about the death of the Azov commander in Mariupol. Just a heads up.
skumar wrote:

You mentioned 3 goals above that Putin has backed off on -
1. utter domination of the entire nation - would an agreement by force not be utter domination?
2. total regime change in Ukraine - Russia is beginning to see the value of pawns like Zelenskyy who is under threat in Ukraine from the Nazis (as Ritter says, no one else has to call them Nazis since they call themselves as Nazis). They are probably holding Zelenskyy at gun point threatening to blow off his head if he capitulates.
3. significant demilitarisation - do you think this war will end without Russia defanging Ukraine as they see it? The Azov battalions will be disbanded from whatever Ukrainian army that is allowed to exist, no NATO presence even in "bio-labs" etc.
I gives this is still within topic so here’s my answer

1. No. Putin’s goals to quickly overcome all of Ukraine as a vassal state is what that would be. Which isn’t happening by a long shot. What he will get at best (emphasis there) is a stand-off.

2. Anyone who calls Zelenskyy a pawn of Russia (and all the term means), well that’s so amazing I don’t know what to say any more.

3. We shall see. I think Russia will win this war, but as I said on day two or three, they will pay for it in the medium to long term.

Zelensky is not a pawn of Russia but since he is the current pawn of the west, Russia will treat that with deference. Russia has to negotiate since it does not have a large enough deployment or economy to take over Ukraine.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 381570.cms Biden singles out India for 'shaky' response to Russia's aggression
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202203/1256566.shtml Biden's criticism of India's neutrality on Russia exposes US hypocrisy
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

IndraD wrote:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 381570.cms Biden singles out India for 'shaky' response to Russia's aggression
Speaking of "shaky", all that Bhaidanwa has to do is look in the mirror :) There's only so much the first lady...no wait, the VP...can cover.
Trikaal
BRFite

Post by Trikaal »

IndraD wrote:https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202203/1256566.shtml Biden's criticism of India's neutrality on Russia exposes US hypocrisy
Even Saudis, who owe their entire existence to US, don't respect Biden. His days are numbered. So I treat this as just hot air. It will pass and Biden will lose the next election anyway so if Biden wants to keep forcing India, then we are better off trying to cultivate the next Republican who is likely to be President.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

kit wrote:“Bandera” and “Shukhevych”
When an Israeli hears those names, he likely thinks of those events.,

Bandera’s OUN celebrates liberation of Lviv by the Nazis by raping Jewish women and underage girls in broad daylight, before murdering them together with other

Is there a link?
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

I am reminded of the time that there was a news of Saddam's army throwing out a baby in an incubator to take the incubator back to Iraq, during the invasion of Kuwait. Later on we found out that it was fake news and propaganda.
Gautam
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

KLNMurthy wrote:
kit wrote:“Bandera” and “Shukhevych”
When an Israeli hears those names, he likely thinks of those events.,

Bandera’s OUN celebrates liberation of Lviv by the Nazis by raping Jewish women and underage girls in broad daylight, before murdering them together with other

Is there a link?
you need to go through some books

https://books.openedition.org/obp/11018?lang=en

https://babynyar.org/storage/main/e0/ce ... 86e48b.pdf
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

IndraD wrote:https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202203/1256566.shtml Biden's criticism of India's neutrality on Russia exposes US hypocrisy
Very kind of China's state mouthpiece to take India's side against the US. Setting the atmosphere for Wang Xi's visit to India? Subtlety doesn't seem to be a Chinese virtue.

Any further proof needed that the Chinese objective through the detente is to weaken the Indian tilt towards Quad and the US?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Anoop wrote:
Very kind of China's state mouthpiece to take India's side against the US. Setting the atmosphere for Wang Xi's visit to India? Subtlety doesn't seem to be a Chinese virtue.

Any further proof needed that the Chinese objective through the detente is to weaken the Indian tilt towards Quad and the US?
Well then the quad itself is weakened by unrealistic and unreasonable demands from the US on India
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

Quad is now walking dead!
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Actually the global times article is perfect in the style of writing. It mimics perfectly the bilge that NYT, BBC, WP put out on a regular basis: simply written, then a few choice quotes from an obscure academic holding some think tank position to lend it an air of credibility and followed up by how rational the home team is and why only others can’t be like them… all a very predictable pattern. An AI bot could write these…
yogeshkumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by yogeshkumar »

No battle like real hand-hand (almost - in this case with guns): https://rumble.com/vy6eg1-chechens-from ... -russ.html
Atmavik
BRF Oldie

Post by Atmavik »

g.sarkar wrote:
I am reminded of the time that there was a news of Saddam's army throwing out a baby in an incubator to take the incubator back to Iraq, during the invasion of Kuwait. Later on we found out that it was fake news and propaganda.
Gautam
I still remember this piece, even used it in a school debate.

After 25 odd yrs I find out that it is fake
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

skumar wrote:….. Sanctions will be eased off within 3-5 months.
I agree with this. I think they will all come to the table to talk. Ukraine because they’re losing. Putin because of the losses and the need to close. Western nations - That sweet sweet Russia oil and gas are too hard to give up.
sanjaykumar wrote:
From the Economist above,

…city is already in danger of falling. Andriy Biletsky, the founder of Azov regiment, a paramilitary outfit defending Mariupol alongside elite Ukrainian navy seals from the 36th Marine Brigade, …But the prospects do not look good: Ukrainian forces in Mariupol are vastly outnumbered, with 3,500 soldiers facing 14,000 invaders, around a tenth of the total estimated Russian force in the country.

If the Economist had qualified this reference to the Azmov regiment with their "alleged" Nazi nature, the Economist would have been credible.

Great post and great find (I don’t subscribe to them). This really pissed me off. I’ve been following this theatre for a while and the Azov battalion is as fascist as it gets. Dyed in the wool Nazis. I guess they become brave fighters when it comes to supporting the west. One should never forget the role of US companies in engaging with Nazis before WWII.

Aside 1: Also the other comments in this thread about Ukrainian people in WWII targeting Jews are spot on. There’s a streak of racism and anti semitism running in that region which tends to get overlooked.

Aside 2: On Zelenskyy - although I empathise with the man, even personally like what I see of him- there is every chance he will have peaked or will be peaking In terms of his gravitas and authority. If he agrees peace deal -most concessions he makes will make him weaker in the eyes of his people - for example giving up Crimea and Donbas. Not only weaken some may even consider him as a quisling. So he’s he’s a rock and a hard place. It all depends on the capacity of the coming Ukrainian people to endure - how long they are willing to suffer. His most likely options are a violent demise and martyr status, or a post war short career as a contested and increasingly unpopular national leader, and/ or a lucrative career on the western circuit giving gyaan to all and sundry for top dollar.

He could also emerge as a great leader for the Ukrainians, but the other options are more likely.

Aside 3: regarding other posts on this thread about how US and UK are constructing their opinions about India’s stand, personally nothing is more infuriating to me than Western national - US and UK- talking down to India about how disappointed they are with us.

Because, f@ck you.

- These are countries that went to war on a false premise on Iraq and killed hundreds of thousands on that fake premise.

- the Secretary of State, a certain Ms Clinton, went to war in Libya and destroyed an entire nation because she wanted to establish her credentials as a war leader in the run up to the next presidential election which she would contest. This is documented!

And you’re giving us gyaan? Hack thoo.

Indian does what India decides. And you can take your ‘disappointment’ and put it where the sun don’t shine.
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

All these reports in the Western press about how Ukraine is kicking Russian azss, Russia is losing etc. are nothing but US state propaganda. No one really knows how the war is going, but I offer here another opinion FWIW, from insider reporting from a resdient of Kharkov. His name is Gonzalo Lira, he's an American expat living in Ukraine for the last 20 years, married to a Ukrainian woman and they have kids together etc. Here is the YT link:

"What's Happening on the Ground in Ukraine w / Gonzalo Lira".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtzkaqd ... ConvoCouch
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

I think MEA should repeat to all that "last 2 times white 'civilized' people killed each other in Europe, we suffered huge human losses and man-made famines; enough is enough we are not party to this madness - talk to each other or be damned, keep us out of it".
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Newsweek of all publications has this article where it says that Russia is holding back from all out destruction of Ukraine. That Russia has targeted military infrastructure and tried to avoid civilian casualties, perhaps in the hope of leaving room for a negotiated settlement potentially after Putin realized that it was not possible to occupy all of Ukraine.

Putin's Bombers Could Devastate Ukraine But He's Holding Back. Here's Why
As destructive as the Ukraine war is, Russia is causing less damage and killing fewer civilians than it could, U.S. intelligence experts say.

Russia's conduct in the brutal war tells a different story than the widely accepted view that Vladimir Putin is intent on demolishing Ukraine and inflicting maximum civilian damage—and it reveals the Russian leader's strategic balancing act. If Russia were more intentionally destructive, the clamoring for U.S. and NATO intervention would be louder. And if Russia were all-in, Putin might find himself with no way out. Instead, his goal is to take enough territory on the ground to have something to negotiate with, while putting the government of Ukraine in a position where they have to negotiate.
But, the analyst says, the damage associated with a contested ground war involving peer opponents shouldn't blind people to what is really happening. (The analyst requested anonymity in order to speak about classified matters.) "The heart of Kyiv has barely been touched. And almost all of the long-range strikes have been aimed at military targets."
"We need to understand Russia's actual conduct," says a retired Air Force officer, a lawyer by training who has been involved in approving targets for U.S. fights in Iraq and Afghanistan. The officer currently works as an analyst with a large military contractor advising the Pentagon and was granted anonymity in order to speak candidly.

"If we merely convince ourselves that Russia is bombing indiscriminately, or [that] it is failing to inflict more harm because its personnel are not up to the task or because it is technically inept, then we are not seeing the real conflict."
"People are talking about Grozny [in Chechnya] and Aleppo [in Syria], and the razing of Ukrainian cities" a second retired U.S. Air Force senior officer tells Newsweek. "But even in the case of southern cities, where artillery and rockets are within range of populated centers, the strikes seem to be trying to target Ukrainian military units, many of which by necessity operating from inside urban areas."

The officer requested anonymity because he is being privately briefed on the war by the Pentagon and is not authorized to speak to the news media.

He and the other analysts who spoke to Newsweek argue not only that the destruction is only a small fraction of what is possible, but also that they see a glimmer of hope in a fact-based analysis of what Russia has done.

"I was initially puzzled as to why more long-range missiles haven't been sent into Kyiv and other major cities such as Odesa, and also why long-range aviation hasn't been used more in strategic attacks," says the second senior officer. "But then I had to shift to see the war through [Vladimir] Putin's eyes."

"Caught with his pants down, perhaps Putin indeed pivoted after he realized that Ukraine wasn't going to be a cakewalk and that Kyiv wasn't conquerable. Maybe he decided to solely focus on taking territory along the periphery and linking up his consolidations in the south, to be in a position to hold enough territory to extract concessions from Ukraine and the west—security guarantees or some demilitarized zone."

The second senior officer says that Putin obviously continues to apply pressure against Kyiv, but Russia hasn't shifted much of its own forces and has continued to back off bombing in the city proper.

"In that, maybe he is leaving room for a political settlement," the officer says.
banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

g.sarkar wrote:
Gautam
The lobby firm that that created the incubator stories still exists but they do product marketing now
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

These days BBC has started repeating any and all claims by the Ukranian defence ministry without verification. They simply tack on a small line at the end saying they have not verified it. However the claims get prominent exposure up front on the front page and no one bothers to read the disclaimer…

This is how you do propaganda.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I do not agree with the statement that - "Putin caught with his pants down." He was forced into war and doing it as per the plan. He knows he can not destroy cities etc.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

For last 1 week I am seeing Russian without fuel, Russian troops losing, Russian troops are going to collapse in 3 days

Quite Frankly watching what media is showing Russia is just hitting a few civilian buildings and Ukrainians are blowing up hundreds of vehicles, scores of Aircraft with No Ukrainian Military casualties.

So when is Russia surrendering? The worse the war goes on generally the more losing side puts out such propaganda with little or no factual data.

I mean if there was some reality then we could believe them, but the way things are being reported - a lay man will definitely question this quality of poor reporting.
banrjeer
BRFite

Post by banrjeer »

Should a rogue nation that instigates wars with nuclear armed countries for no gain except some woke talking points be trusted to host the worlds reserve currency and most sophisticated nuke arsenal. They should outsource geostrategy to some small neutral island nation and foot their daily needs of coffee n shit.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

g.sarkar wrote:
Gautam
It wasn't just that, there was also the plastic/rubber shredder story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hu ... d_shredder

This is about the incubators.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony

I do wonder how many of these PR firms have links to intelligence services.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill%2BKn ... Strategies

Leave them to their madness, no need for anyone else to get involved.