Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 30 June 2022

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Missiles News & Discussions - 30 June 2022

Post by Prem Kumar »

Ashokk wrote: 13 Mar 2024 04:43
From the Deterrence thread -
ShauryaT wrote: 12 Mar 2024 18:55 A long overdue forward step has been taken.

FINALLY, Divyastra, 19 years late. Next up — Thermonuclear testing - Bharat Karnad
Just wow! We have internal enemies, cowards & losers at the highest levels of the Government, be it Congress or BJP!

Even under Modi, its shameful that it has taken 10 years to do the test. Finally he green-lights it to score some LS 2024 brownie points

Now, its back to chai-biskoot time because hey, induction is a different matter altogether. Unlike ASAT or BMD, hope the MIRV doesn't become a showpiece item
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

This baseless cynical drivel is unworthy of BRF.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Best to take anything Bharat Karnad says with a bucketful of salt.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Haridas wrote: 13 Mar 2024 05:19
- Arun_S
Welcome back Webmaster !!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Meet 'Divya Putri', Scientist Behind Agni-5 Missile With Multiple Warheads
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mission ... ds-5224381
13 March 2024
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

Arun_S sir, any possibility that you bring back your content on BRF? To this day your work remains only authoritative source of credible information on Indian missile program outside of official channels. I remember to this day that it was first thing that I read on BRF way back early 2000s that piqued my interest in defense related matters and hooked me to BRF ever since. Pls consider it if not too much of effort. None of those feudal personalities are on BRF anymore.
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Prem Kumar wrote: 13 Mar 2024 11:44
Ashokk wrote: 13 Mar 2024 04:43
From the Deterrence thread -
Just wow! We have internal enemies, cowards & losers at the highest levels of the Government, be it Congress or BJP!

Even under Modi, its shameful that it has taken 10 years to do the test. Finally he green-lights it to score some LS 2024 brownie points

Now, its back to chai-biskoot time because hey, induction is a different matter altogether. Unlike ASAT or BMD, hope the MIRV doesn't become a showpiece item
Dr VK Saraswat says it is just a IRBM and not even a ICBM. You cannot have a MIRV test simply successful in the very first attempt. I think India just made a public declaration of her capability. But the maya continues.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

nachiket wrote: 13 Mar 2024 13:16 Best to take anything Bharat Karnad says with a bucketful of salt.
+72

BK is a maximalist and hence gets some mileage by well-meaning maximalist here.

At the same time, BK is very untrustworthy. And he appears to have a big axe to grind. Here is his background:

1. Completed Bachelor's & Master's of *Political Science* from UCB (UC Berkeley) and UCLA (UC Los Angeles), in 1975.

For someone to do political science from premier universities in US indicates that person coming from a very elite background. He is married to Renu Sud Karnad, at one time chairman of HDFC and a graduate of Princeton Univ. US.

2. Ex-VP Ansari launched one of the books of Bharat Karnad. Ex-VP Ansari is a persona non-grata to me and should be to every person who means well for India. For a "strategic expert" like BK, to have Ex-VP Ansari launch his book is a *strategic blunder*.

3. In his latest farticle, BK calls Dr. Chidambaram as a middling scientist. Such name calling is pathetic. Particularly coming from a "political scientist". If a "political science" is a science, then I have an entire fyzics package to sell!

4. It is too rich of BK to go into snide remarks on EAM JaiShankar and others and their families and slyly allege nepotism, without even disclosing his own antecedents! Yes, BK comes from an elite family and we do not know which one, since all traces in public domain has been removed. Married into another elite family, imagine the opportunities one had to Princeton in 1984 or work at a high position in 1978 and reach to the top as chairman of one of the largest mortgage bank in India. For us it-vity types, going to UCB/UCLA for even civil or mechanical or electrical in 1975 meant a dream ticket. Nobody would have opted for Political Science.

5. BK is the last person to comment on the design and efficacy of Nukes, leave alone TN or FBF or missiles. He neither has the background nor the discipline to understand the nuances and identify 2nd and 3rd order outcomes. It is like Darkha Butt gets her way by being bellicose, so does BK gets his way by being a maximalist (like exploding 2 MT or 5 MT nuke).

I do not think BK deserves any space on this forum. And I have cited my reasons above.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

williams wrote: 14 Mar 2024 07:26 Dr VK Saraswat says it is just a IRBM and not even a ICBM. You cannot have a MIRV test simply successful in the very first attempt. I think India just made a public declaration of her capability. But the maya continues.
Here is my take on number of "Prithvi" tests. Why something that was already inducted had so many tests, particularly four (4) back to back tests where the missile was tested on the same day or within the week?

Agni V itself had 10 tests (incl MIRV version). In 2016 itself, Agni V had mini and micro-mini INS systems. I think the 2013 launch was a precursor MIRV launch. And so many PSLV launches were completed where the precise injection of multi-sats was discussed. MIRV is same as PSLV launching multi-sats in designated trajectories albeit with tighter precision.

And there is a reason to call it out as IRBM vs ICBM. There is no point in doing hoo-ha about calling it ICBM and indulge in missile polish. We know who the target is and they know on whom it is targeted. And they know that we know that they know and we know that they know. Calling it IRBM vs ICBM is all semantics.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Agree 108% !
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

williams wrote: 14 Mar 2024 07:26
Dr VK Saraswat says it is just a IRBM and not even a ICBM. You cannot have a MIRV test simply successful in the very first attempt. I think India just made a public declaration of her capability. But the maya continues.
Why should it matter if it’s IRBM or ICBM? That’s just nomenclature anyway: the range is what it is. The flight profile should be more than conducive for MIRV deployment.

As for success: it is all maya. We mastered hydrogen bomb in one attempt :(( :mrgreen: :P
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Reading the Internet, there seems to 2nd Notam and SFDR was also tested on 11 mar 24, anyone have any info on this?
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Tanaji wrote: 14 Mar 2024 13:45
williams wrote: 14 Mar 2024 07:26
Why should it matter if it’s IRBM or ICBM? That’s just nomenclature anyway: the range is what it is. The flight profile should be more than conducive for MIRV deployment.

As for success: it is all maya. We mastered hydrogen bomb in one attempt :(( :mrgreen: :P
That is exactly why the Chins wanted to send their ship to figure out what exactly are the SDREs talking about. SDREs simply welcomed them to see the real thing. This combined with sending another 10k troops into active deployment means, MAD team signaling no tolerance on any smoke and mirror Sun Tzu nonsense in the LAC during this summer that too when crucial elections are going on. In one of the videos I saw, NDTV Pallava Bagla leaking the fact he saw MIRVs in 2016 and were asked not disclose it. My thought is we always had some form of MIRV+MARV tech in our Agni missiles starting from Agni III. It was all camouflaged until today and now we are seeing this missile which is a new one camouflaged as Agni V. Plus God only knows what was that second NOTAM about. Some in the media were speculating about a SLBM test, but nothing happened so far. We live in interesting times to say the least. :D
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

morem wrote: 11 Mar 2024 22:15 Hat tip to Haridas Ji
V_Raman wrote: 13 Mar 2024 13:33
Haridas wrote: 13 Mar 2024 05:19
- Arun_S
Welcome back Webmaster !!

Morem, Basant, Disha, V_Raman.. Namastey to all bhai log.

Sri Ram sevak, pavan sut Hanuman ki jai,
Jai Bharat, Jai Jawan

Sabb sevak bhai log ki jai.

Circa 2005 that was a good battle with western psyops and arm twisters.
:D
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

VickyAvinash wrote: 13 Mar 2024 21:21 Arun_S sir, any possibility that you bring back your content on BRF? To this day your work remains only authoritative source of credible information on Indian missile program outside of official channels. I remember to this day that it was first thing that I read on BRF way back early 2000s that piqued my interest in defense related matters and hooked me to BRF ever since. Pls consider it if not too much of effort. None of those feudal personalities are on BRF anymore.
I would be happy to entertain the idea if request comes from BR domain owner Seetal and Jagan to restore the responsibities & the same privileges as before.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Haridas wrote: 15 Mar 2024 08:32
Morem, Basant, Disha, V_Raman.. Namastey to all bhai log.
many many many Namaste and Pranaams Saar.
Jai Bharat, Jai Jawan

Sir, you are Nala for the above. We are just ordinary squirrels.

It definitely was fun lighting fire under the NNPT/NPA ayotollahs and their baki brethren ...
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

williams wrote: 14 Mar 2024 15:23
Tanaji wrote: 14 Mar 2024 13:45

That is exactly why the Chins wanted to send their ship to figure out what exactly are the SDREs talking about. SDREs simply welcomed them to see the real thing. This combined with sending another 10k troops into active deployment means, MAD team signaling no tolerance on any smoke and mirror Sun Tzu nonsense in the LAC during this summer that too when crucial elections are going on. In one of the videos I saw, NDTV Pallava Bagla leaking the fact he saw MIRVs in 2016 and were asked not disclose it. My thought is we always had some form of MIRV+MARV tech in our Agni missiles starting from Agni III. It was all camouflaged until today and now we are seeing this missile which is a new one camouflaged as Agni V. Plus God only knows what was that second NOTAM about. Some in the media were speculating about a SLBM test, but nothing happened so far. We live in interesting times to say the least. :D

williams ji,

There are some indications that the Agni 6, a true blue ICBM, is already ready but it is awaiting political orders which may take some time in coming. Obviously that will be MIRVed as well, and with a much longer range

this sob pallava bagla should be blacklisted and booted out.

he appears to be some sort of "connected", congi era, entitled, low IQ buffoon who looks more simian than human

The cheen are truly feeling threatened but are in no position to do anything about it, as their home situation is crumbling all around them and xi is in the cross hairs of his detractors ......
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Why not test Agni-6 with a depressed range and understate it, as usual. Just mention that its payload is 8 tons for 5000 Kms. Everyone who needs to understand will understand what it means
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Prem Kumar wrote: 15 Mar 2024 14:30 Why not test Agni-6 with a depressed range and understate it, as usual. Just mention that its payload is 8 tons for 5000 Kms. Everyone who needs to understand will understand what it means

what is the need Prem Kumar saar.....

The current one is already very dangerous, it needs only one of the MIRVed heads to punch through their defensive shields and the hans know it only too well...

the japs saw the writing on the wall, when tokyo was bombed for the very first time, and moreover, India may not be the only one that retaliates because the paki factor will come into play for sure because both are एक ही थाली के चट्टे-बट्टे... :mrgreen:
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

We should stop seeing only cheen as the enemy. As we grow in stature and reach we will have to protect our energy sources interests far and wide.

For ex. We are increasing our dealings with a bunch of South American countries. In the foreseeable future we will also make some strategic investments there. How can we deter unfriendly regime change attempts if we only focus on IOR?
Bharat should do what it needs to do without being apologetic or underhand about it.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Cyrano wrote: 15 Mar 2024 15:46 We should stop seeing only cheen as the enemy. As we grow in stature and reach we will have to protect our energy sources interests far and wide.

For ex. We are increasing our dealings with a bunch of South American countries. In the foreseeable future we will also make some strategic investments there. How can we deter unfriendly regime change attempts if we only focus on IOR?
Bharat should do what it needs to do without being apologetic or underhand about it.

Cyrano ji, isn't that exactly why the range is understated, as is the payload

always cheap and best to keep insurance tucked away in the langote
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Cyrano wrote: 15 Mar 2024 15:46 We should stop seeing only cheen as the enemy. As we grow in stature and reach we will have to protect our energy sources interests far and wide.

Cyrano ji, isn't that exactly why the range is understated, as is the payload

Nothing underhand about it,

Play your cards close to the vest, and remember it's always cheap and best to keep insurance tucked away in the langote
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

From 2021

India downplays Agni-V missile range, says China

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/north/s ... 2012-04-20
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

Haridas wrote: 15 Mar 2024 08:32Morem, Basant, Disha, V_Raman.. Namastey to all bhai log.

Jai Bharat, Jai Jawan

Pranam, Guruvar! It is always a delight to read your posts and I have really enjoyed and learnt a lot during the Arun_S avatar! Hope to learn a lot more from you through the BRF pathashala! :D
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Gobartimes tries to put up a brave face

Code: Select all

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202403/1308688.shtml
Indian and Western media rushed to hype that India's move is aimed at increasing nuclear deterrence against "rivals" China and Pakistan, and that it will make China "nervous" and "have no edge" over India.

Whenever India makes military progress, public opinion in India and some major Western countries, which are keen on fanning hostilities between the two Asian powers, immediately hypes that it will make China and Pakistan feel afraid. It is as if the newly added deterrent should be quickly used in India's relations with China and Pakistan. This idea is naive and dangerous.

The attitude of China actively developing friendly relations with India is sincere. And truth be told, China is not very concerned about the improvement of India's military capabilities because this improvement does not constitute a trend of India's military power surpassing China. Liu Zongyi, director of the Center for South Asia Studies at the Shanghai Institutes for International Studies, told the Global Times that there are still huge gaps, even generational gaps, between India and other major powers such as the US, China and Russia in terms of missile capabilities.
And of course some gratuitous advice
We hope India maintains its strategic sobriety amid pride and arrogance brought about by its latest military achievements.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

How do you have MIRV on an IRBM?
It would be MRV for IRBM
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

ramana wrote: 16 Mar 2024 05:42 How do you have MIRV on an IRBM?
It would be MRV for IRBM
Very good question. But seems like a culture that our scientists and officials always down play capabilities in public.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

ramana wrote: 16 Mar 2024 05:42 How do you have MIRV on an IRBM?
It would be MRV for IRBM
During the cold was the USSR also had a 3 MIRV IRBM in the shape of SS20.

https://missilethreat.csis.org/missile/ ... er-rsd-10/

"RSD-10 Pioneer (SS-20)"
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vi@shivaroor

Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Prem Kumar wrote: 15 Mar 2024 14:30 Why not test Agni-6 with a depressed range and understate it, as usual. Just mention that its payload is 8 tons for 5000 Kms. Everyone who needs to understand will understand what it means
Becoz space bbased military sats of chacha can measure its velocity and trajectory end points, hence determine ballistic performance of launcher corresponding to full range ICBM.

Trust you know what full range icbm is.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

<Poof>

Admin Note: Please no doxxing anyone, unless they want to self-identify
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Haridas wrote: 22 Mar 2024 23:07 Becoz space bbased military sats of chacha can measure its velocity and trajectory end points, hence determine ballistic performance of launcher corresponding to full range ICBM.

Trust you know what full range icbm is.
Yes and that's precisely the point I am trying to make. Let Unkil's satellites do the math and they will get the message. We will test it to a 6K range with an enhanced payload and call it a "Dharmic Launch targeted at China only" :wink:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

titash
BRFite

Post by titash »

Rakesh wrote: 26 Mar 2024 19:31 https://x.com/singhshwetabh71/status/17 ... 30069?s=20 ---> Assembly of Akash
Only 1 Akash seen in the lower right

The others are either Barak-8 or Akash-NG
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

titash wrote: 26 Mar 2024 22:47
Rakesh wrote: 26 Mar 2024 19:31 https://x.com/singhshwetabh71/status/17 ... 30069?s=20 ---> Assembly of Akash
Only 1 Akash seen in the lower right

The others are either Barak-8 or Akash-NG

Sir ji they are all MK1 onlee. If you look closer you can see the four holes where the ramjet inlets are meant to be installed. I also got giddy thinking this is MK2 but I don't think it is :((
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

https://interestingengineering.com/mili ... ot-bombers
China plans 1,240-mile range missile to shoot bombers at unprecedented distance

Wonder if DRDO can take some inspiration from this ?!

My question would be what the challenges for India in developing such a system
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Target tracking and discrimination. Followed by cost of the missiles.

A weapon with that range only be fractionally cheaper than the target it's trying to destroy.

The only target set worthy of such a weapon is a nuclear armed ICBM Rentry vehicle.
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Pratyush wrote: 30 Mar 2024 14:49 Target tracking and discrimination. Followed by cost of the missiles.

A weapon with that range only be fractionally cheaper than the target it's trying to destroy.

The only target set worthy of such a weapon is a nuclear armed ICBM Rentry vehicle.
AWACS ;Bombers; Refuelling aircraft ; SIG INT etc as well ..
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

If the target has the situational awareness, then they can escape such weapons.