Large Infrastructure Projects: Inertia and Opposition

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Theo_Fidel wrote:Here we come to the scientific temperament.

I'm sure you are all aware of Occam's Razor made popular by Jodie Foster in Contact.

What is easier to believe,
that a combination of wind, ocean and tide created a sandy discontinuous spit of land in an area that has a long history of submergence and emergence, similar to sandy spits of land observable else where on earth.

or An ancient king from the North, brought a huge army to the south, and set them to constructing a massive bridge, far from his supply lines, built it in a matter of days or at least less than 10 years, used trees and rocks of which there is no sign now, left no sign of where the 400 million tonnes or so of material came from, transported the material presumably from the mainland over a 3 km ocean inlet and thence to the end of the land, managed to put it all together without the ocean washing everything away (no trivial task), did all this while the simple artifice of a couple of hundred fishing boats carrying 20-30 men at a time could have taken a 100,000 of them all across in a matter of weeks, then proceeded to return the same way, and allowed all this material effort to melt away.

I doubt we could do it today. with a billion people behind us, the currents are too strong, 20 knots is not unknown in narrow areas, and the sand too unstable.
Or)

You could be "Charitable" to "Jesus walking on water" {Oh!! Poor Ram..}, backing it up fully with the (ever convenient masquerade) of "scientific temperament" or "Economic Development", to spin the argument. :rotfl:
P.S. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of comments about how I don't know anything about faith and I don't know what gods are capable of. To you I say that India possessed a ton of scientific info in prehistory and yet we did nothing with it, did not share it or use it to the betterment of our people. The reason is that we preferred to descend into ritual and blind acceptance rather than self inquiry and curiosity.
Please don't include "me" in your "We Speak" to spare yourself the comedy !
about how I don't know anything about faith and I don't know what gods are capable of.
I can understand why you skipped earlier questions by other members . Holy Bejeezus !! :oops:
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Could several of the folks discussing this topic - stick to facts and leave ideology at home?

Has there been any independent research that conclusively proves that the formation is natural? On the other hand what evidence do those who profess that the structure is man-made have to prove the same?

Seems like all we have is opinions! Not facts!
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

What does the artificial or natural origins of an object in question have to do with whether it gets destroyed or not??

Can I presume that the Bodhi Tree is a product of nature and not genetic engineering, so that its natural origin is then no bar to its preservation from destruction?
If the Om Parbat is a natural formation and not an artificially engineered one, does that somehow license its destruction?

I don't see why natural-vs-artificial is a central deciding factor over something's preservation.

Apparently, some people on BRF are shallower than the Palk Straits. :roll:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

IMO, nothing needs to be proved or disproved. It is the belief of the Hindus for millennia that Lord Ram and his monkey troops, helped by everyone including the squirrels, built a bridge to get to Lanka and that originated nearabouts the present day Rameswaram. There is a structure resembling that still intact and therefore that structure is probably the one referred to in the epic Ramayana. This is just not a belief that has been conjured up now to thwart the project just after the GoI formulated the plans. We are barking a wrong tree trying to prove if it is natural, man-made or God-made. Nobody asks for proof in such belief systems, whatever the religion may be. Again, just because some 'communal' or 'secular' political parties are taking up the issue, it has to be viewed with a jaundiced eye. With development comes the conflict of preserving heritage - cultural or religious. The GoI must have a policy that is consistent and cutting across all religions in such matters. Otherwise, we will have many such issues in the future, like dismantling roadside temples/churches/mosques etc. for developmental purposes. The problem comes only when there is inconsistency or a lack of transparency that is then seen as a bias.

There was an article in The Hindu a couple of days back with a diagram of various alignments and it appears that Alignment # 4 will not damage the structure that is claimed as Ramar Sethu. How economically viable it will be should be investigated. Even if the Sethu needs to be dredged for a certain width/depth, it should be done after consulting the stakeholders. This is exactly what the GoI has promised the SC to do belatedly. All this unpleasantness could have been avoided had TR Baalu not tried to steamroller everything when the issues were raised. He misjudged the seriousness of his actions. I am sure once all parties are involved, a solution can be found.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

That's because we have a political climate which tolerates any crass behavior in the name of "secularism".
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

SSridhar wrote:This is just not a belief that has been conjured up now to thwart the project just after the GoI formulated the plans. We are barking a wrong tree trying to prove if it is natural, man-made or God-made. Nobody asks for proof in such belief systems, whatever the religion may be.
I agree that proof or lack thereof is only an intellectual curiosity. The issue is confusing because the media and several folks debating this topic do not recognize that irrespective of the forces that created the structure, the project to create a link can go on. Perhaps in the cacophony of ideology, we are forgetting to pursue economic betterment without damaging the structure.

What is muddying up the waters is when folks claim that because something is a belief, it must not be questioned!

Imagine this - if we can prove scientifically - that the structure was man-made, then we have something more spectacular than the Great Wall that is visible from space (forget NASA, please see the ResourceSat-1 AWIFS imagery at: South India). That human creation we can share with the rest of humanity.

On the other hand if a few million Hindus worship the bridge as extension of their belief. All we can do is just that - deifying the structure - without ever understanding anything about it!

Research of the structure can continue without any impact on the project.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Keeping article of faith aside for a moment GoI or ASI should at least do the following.

1) Collect satellite imagery of the region for clear cloudless days with algal growth in the waters of the coast at a minimum. There are various proxies for the latter and well established for the last 20 years.

This will give a conclusive proof of the existence of a ridge line though it will not decipher the material the ridge line is made of (sand, rocks or other building materials).

The sea bottom backscatter is what one is seeing in both ResourceSat-1 as well as STS mission imageries. The waters on either side of the ridge being deeper absorbs visible light if there are no other algal material in the waters. This is the hard part being close to so much fertilizer runoff from land feeding the algal growth.

2) To come to any conclusive proof of whether any manmade structure exists on the sand ridges requires even more in situ drilling work and can be a costly affair. The samples will need to be compared and dated with material on the mainland and lanka to determine their origins.

If they are non-local then very likely it was brought there from far.

If they are local then it will not make a strong case for a man made feature. It will make a case for a naturally occurring ridge especially if the drilling away from the ridge in the basin yields similar material with same dates.

Conclusive evidence will not be easy to come by in such a exploration but some common questions still being raised can be addressed with a few steps.

Hi resolution imageries are available so this is not a limiting factor. One can even fly an aircraft fitted with a AWIFS like instrument and wait for clear days with clear waters to do this without the constraint of fixed overflight times of satellites the area to be covered being so small.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

And all results need to be peer reviewed and published in open literature and not just as a white paper with lots of spin on a website :P for greater acceptance of the facts.
enqyoobOLD
BRFite

Post by enqyoobOLD »

Theo: My post this morning went shaheed due to a forum glitch or my sleepiness. Let's see: I learned a lot from this, but it does not shake my case.

1. The NASA image:
NASA acknowledged that the image is from STS. I think those images are in a library on the internet, but post-911, may have been blocked from public access like many GOTUS resources. These were advertised as taken by astronauts shooting out the window, usually with some 35mm camera. Nothing very automated etc, so you have to take it for what it's worth. Bade's post clarifies what is needed there, and that should be quite easy. What the image does is to give perspective, to something that can be seen quite well in pieces from, say, a helicopter or light aircraft.

2. Interpretations

For the above reasons, NASA does not get dragged into interpretation. Their PR person reasons correctly that if ppl are serious, they can use Earth Remote Sensing imagery, of which India has plenty, and figure out exactly what is there. It may be NOAA's territory, and anyway, NASA would be well advised to stay away from revealing details of subsurface features so close to the Indian/SL territorial waters. U can guess the reasons.
They have said that from their examination it looks like a chain of atolls.

U mean an atoll .. a chain of islands. True. That means that in some distant era, the land there was undulating a bit. Maybe the breaks between islands were short and shallow, but of course looked formidable to a pedestrian in an age of bow and arrow. The sea there is not calm, so crossing that would be a big deal.

I would ignore the part about the "100 Yojanas = 800 miles" etc. Those are poetic license. Look at the accounts of Yuvraj Singh's six sixers as they appear in his home village a few years hence and u'll c what I mean. Each shot will have cleared Table Mountain and gone into the Indian Ocean, and some will have reached orbit and still be there.

Hey, the width of the thing on GOOGLE can't be 3 or 4 Km. It's a few hundred yards at most, over most of it. Consider that Rameswaram Island itself is not 4 km across, IIRC.
Remember ancient Meluha (Indus) traded extensively with the Persian gulf and beyond. It is not unlikely that they had contacts into the Mediterranean.

Let's see the implications. This confirms another part of the modern yindoo counter to the "Aryan Tourist Theory". I agree that the Indus Valley towns were NOT the founts of Indian civilization - they were trading outposts of a large and well-established civilization, with industry, ports, urban engineering practices, and even coins/seals for currency. And that was certainly a PLAINS civilization, not a mountain one. So if there was communication of tall tales across India, it had to be FROM EAST TO WEST - and it also means that the Indus traders were telling the legends from MUCH EARLIER in their civilization. There is no evidence of sea-faring trade until about 5000 BCE, so this means that there was no naval option for crossing the strait.
I'm looking at Rajagopalachari's guide to the Ramayana. It says 'Setum'. First translation 'Bridge'. Why would they use that word if they have a perfectly good word for causeway in 'badvan'.

My sources are the Ramayana by Thunjath Ezhuthassan (TE) in Malayalam, which is pretty close to Sanskrit, and the Malayalam-English dictionary.

"Sethu" has 3 English translations:
(a) causeway
(b) bridge - but in the sense that it BRIDGES two places, enabling persons to get from A to B.
(c) dam

It is not "bridge" as in "hanging above water or air".
This has always baffled me. It is not like shipping was unknown to the Ramayan. Why build a cause way to travel a paltry 30 km's. Though it is rough, it relatively tranquil by ocean standards.

The ancients in Shri Ram (SR)'s time did not show any signs of having hanging bridges etc. SR used a boat to cross the Ganga (c/o Guhan) and the Mahanadi (c/o the shishyas of Agastya Muni). I suspect that in both cases, the boats were propelled by poles to the bottom, not by oars or sails. Getting across a sea of indeterminate depth, with waves, was probably very tough for them, as it is to most of us even today.
The Ramayan always implies that Ram crossed an ocean, there is no hint that he crossed an estuary. The ocean god even says shallowness is not possible but I will make the waters support just your army.

Not according to TE. The sequence was:
1. They had a council to discuss options to get across the sea, including the Corps Commanders of the Vanara Sena and Lakshman. So that's where they surveyed all the options, and presumably the army ran up and down the coastline looking to see how old Ravana got across so easily (yeah, I know, he flew.. but let's reduce to human practicalities for the moment)

2. They decided to request help from Varuna, who is described as a minor Deva, not on the level of Indra etc. They tried for 3 days, and Varuna dissed them.

3. SR got mad (at least, impatient, because time was of the essence) and took bow and armed missile. On seeing which, Varuna came running over and begged protection and of course, promised help. More to the point, he snitched on the Asuras having a party over on an island to the north - and per TE, SR launched the armed missile over there and pest-e-sha'eed all the Pakis there. As a demonstration.

My interpretation is that the only promising route was occupied by this tribe led by Varuna, and he refused to cooperate until he was shown The Light. And then he showed them the way.

4. WHEN the way was seen, it was evident that it was not suitable for a landlubber army, most of whom probably did not know how to swim in a pond, much less the sea. So some construction was needed. Nalan was assigned the coordination of the task, being the son of ViswaKarma, President and CEO of VK Master Builders, Inc. There was nothing in VK's portfolio about building suspension bridges - just big constructions on solid ground.

5. They dumped rocks, whatever, to get the depth down to WADING depth. Which means that even in those days, there were many places where you had build up to reach WADING depth. Given the atoll topography, it is evident that the material was available LOCALLY.

Which means that Bade's test of non-local origin would fail, and prove nothing. There is no reference to anyone shipping material from far away - they did not have time. They just rolled rocks from higher places into places where they were needed - that was hard enough.
In some aspects, by allowing Ram to cross the shallow strait the enormity of the telling and version are reduced.

Sure, but after returning to Ayodhya, how do you explain to a bunch of gawking landlubbers what an atoll is? There was no GOOGLE and no NASA then. To them, what they had to do was one rock at a time, one step forward at a time, and the ocean waves were always crashing at them.
At the thinnest this 'cause way needed to be 30 meters wide at top, With minimum 30 meters depth. Allowing for some slump it needed to be about 100 meter wide @ the bottom. So a cross section of 2000 m2 x 30,000 meters long, after allowing for existing islands = 60 million cubic meters With wet dirt at about 6 tonnes per m3, this is 360 million tonnes of material. This amount of material does not just disappear away, even if it is below the water, where it is actually protected from rain.

Not by the above model. All they did was redistribute boulders from the higher parts of the atoll to the depressions, enough to WADE across. Per TE, SR was carried on the shoulders of a couple of the soldiers, to cross. Can you imagine any military general allowing that, unless there was a very good reason to stay above water? IOW, it was still some 4 or 5 feet deep, with waves on top of that.

Links to SL society: Now there I stand corrected, and am glad to have the evidence you presented:

http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/jul/04spec.htm

Quote:
Asiatic Society, 1799, refers to the bridge that is broken at three places. It also says "people call it a bridge; or otherwise it appears to have wood growing on it, and to be inhabited."

The Sethupatis of Ramanathapuram are called so because they were expected to protect the Sethu."

He further adds two other evidences, "The Madras Presidency Administration Report 1903 refers to the bridge as a glossary entry: 'Adam's Bridge is called the bridge of Rama. It really joined Ceylon to India until 1480, when a breach was made through rocks during a storm. A subsequent storm enlarged this and foot traffic then ceased.'[/quote]

I wonder what is the evidence of the state of the place pre-1480.
"The next is a book written by Alexander Hamilton in 1744, A New Account of the East Indies which describes his visit to 'Zeloan' by walking on the bridge."

Small problems here. (1) presumably, Hamilton did not walk over water to get from NZ to India in 1744, so he had access to boats. Why walk to SL?

(2) If the land connection was broken as of 1480, how did Hamilton walk across in 1744?

These, unfortunately, are the sorts of questions that neither the Holies nor the REDIFF editors tend to ask, or allow to be asked.

"In the Aganaanooru Sangam literature text also, there is a reference to Sethu and there are hundreds of references to Rama," Kalyanaraman added.
OK, that's fine.
Kalyanaraman also speaks about thousands of copper, gold and silver coins with the word Sethu on them that have been recovered in Jaffna. They were issued circa the twelfth to fifteenth century.

Paranthaka Chola of the tenth century copper plates and the copper plates indicate that Aparajitavarman went to Sethutirtha.

This just means that they had a big bash over there. I did not know (and still don't) that Kings issued coins with commemorative stamps on them. IMO, they only issued coins with their mugshots on them, to eastablish that the coin was their property, like everything else. So what is this "sethu" coin?
"Krishnadevaraya's epigraph mentions that his territory extended from Sethu to Vijayanagaram."

Yes, but then why is not from Anuradhapura to Vijayanagaram? Why the break at the Sethu? Also, this would seem to establish the link from Prince Vijaya's territory in SL, to Orissa. Also, KDRaya was not a TN king.
Also Tamil kings have repeatedly ruled large sections of Lanka. Why do you think the LTTE problem exists. People have gone back and forth across the straits for many many centuries. I'm pretty sure you have talked about all this before so I'm baffled why you would say this after having visited the area many times.

Shows my ignorance, but let me point out that Jaffna Tamils .NE. Tuticorin Tamils. In fact, in SL, there is (was) a huuuuge class difference between the two, and in fact, between Jaffna Tamils and Indian Tamils from Madurai/ Ramanathapuram etc. So there are THREE very distinct connections to India:

1. Vijaya etc. with the Oriya script, connected to Sinhala culture.
2. Indian Tamils, connected through Dhanushkodi / Talaimannar
3. Jaffna - Chennai (and some points south of Chennai).

Jaffna was always very very distinct, from the rest of SL. The region immediately south of Jaffna on mainland SL was jungle, and Sinhala-dominated (until recent times with the LTTE fun), but generally undeveloped. The Sinhala culture dominated, from the Lowlands of Galle (south), the northern kingdom of Anuradhapura, and the central mountain kingdom of Kandy. The east, from Trincomalee to Matara, was something else, maybe some of everything. The east at Batticoloa developed into a Muslim enclave, and maybe was more connected to the Indian Tamils.

The Indian Tamils in Colombo were businessppl and professionals, and the ones in central SL were small traders and plantation workers, sneered-at by the Jaffna Tamils.

So the Tamil evolution in SL is much more complex than the Sethu connection - in fact very little seems to have come THROUGH the Sethu, which is my point.

The Legend
Here we come to the scientific temperament.

I'm sure you are all aware of Occam's Razor made popular by Jodie Foster in Contact.
What is easier to believe,
that a combination of wind, ocean and tide created a sandy discontinuous spit of land in an area that has a long history of submergence and emergence, similar to sandy spits of land observable else where on earth.

or An ancient king from the North, brought a huge army to the south, and set them to constructing a massive bridge, far from his supply lines, built it in a matter of days or at least less than 10 years, used trees and rocks of which there is no sign now, left no sign of where the 400 million tonnes or so of material came from, transported the material presumably from the mainland over a 3 km ocean inlet and thence to the end of the land, managed to put it all together without the ocean washing everything away (no trivial task), did all this while the simple artifice of a couple of hundred fishing boats carrying 20-30 men at a time could have taken a 100,000 of them all across in a matter of weeks, then proceeded to return the same way, and allowed all this material effort to melt away.

Sorry, but I disagree 400%. You just "proved" that the Great Wall of China could never have been built by humans. 8)

Nor the great pyramids.

Humans, faced with great urgencies, do things that in retrospect appear absolutely fantastic. No, they did not have the time or resources to do a huge System Optimization - or to import technology. They had to do what had to be done, with what they had at hand. They did.
Last edited by enqyoobOLD on 23 Sep 2007 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

One does not have to stare at the google, wikimapia or AWIFS imagery for long before seeing the curved shape of the backwater reflectance in the visible bands. This can indicate a few things.

1) If a setu was ever built x thousand years ago, then they may have been forced to build over the existing ridge line naturally formed earlier to reduce the amount of filling. Or else they would have built along a straight line more or less even with ocean currents etc.

2) A radical theory by staring at the current coastlines in that region. Imagine some millions of years ago as the indian subcontinent with Lanka firmly attached to the southwest end of Indian landmass crashing through the asian plate in fast motion. The recoil from this massive collision could have travelled back and ripped apart lanka from the mainland.

As this happens in fast motion imagine the waters from the surrounding ocean rushing in to fill the open space. :eek: Now you have waters rushing north-east to south east and along the opposite direction pushing material from the break up debris along the equilibrium points where waters meet, creating from the sand debris atolls and sand berms along a curved line perhaps.

Run this in slow motion and one can see how this can accumulate over time till the waters fill over entirely.
:shock:

So arguments along these lines lead to a natural formation theory for the base of the setu. The curved shape could be a result of the equilibrium found between the two water basins as they merge. The chances of this being along a straight line is a low probability event anyway.

The rocks or debris used for the Rama's sethu could have origins in this violent separation of the Lankan landmass. Can it be proven ? If so then we can get over the uneasy question of where all this millions of tons of material came from locally that could just be rolled in with minimal effort with existing technology of the times.

:twisted:
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

I was looking at the South India map of NRSA and it occurred to me that the connection to Rameshwaram is a a bridge over Sea. What are the pros and cons (I am no Hydro/Sea Expert) of creating a channel at this location rather than at the Sethu. This stretch already has the Indian Railways bridge..
enqyoobOLD
BRFite

Post by enqyoobOLD »

Bala:

This is the Pamban bridge, which is now both rail and road. The center section opens, I believe, to let taller-masted boats through. It is quite shallow, and only allows small boats.

The RSS is pushing precisely what you suggested: dredge the Pamban to make this the shipping channel. But there are at least two things wrong with that:

1. There are fish-farms near the shore, that will be destroyed, apparently, if larger ships start going through there.

2. The approaches also cut through coastal fish-farms or something like that.

Plus, there is now a concern about what happens if another tsunami comes through - the Alaskan experience is that deep, steep-sided fjords / channels will amplify the wave greatly, producing monsters of unimaginable proportions (think a couple of hundred fee high). If this happens, it will destroy much of the nearby coastal area and kill tens of thousands.

But this is certainly the option that the RSS is pushing, when they claim that they are not against the project, only against its present alignment.

Please do a search on Sethu canal and find a site at Columbia University, New York, aka People's Republic of Columbia University. That shows the 6 routes considered so far, and why each was rejected, except the presently selected one. The present one is the ultimate compromise: mid-stream, as far away as possible from either coast.

While you are considering these pictures, I have another question for you:

How did Shri Rama and entourage cross the Pamban? Is that place also not holy, by the same considerations? So if it is OK to drege there, what's wrong with dredging 12 miles out at sea where no one goes, otherwise?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

bala wrote:I was looking at the South India map of NRSA and it occurred to me that the connection to Rameshwaram is a a bridge over Sea. What are the pros and cons (I am no Hydro/Sea Expert) of creating a channel at this location rather than at the Sethu. This stretch already has the Indian Railways bridge..
This is one of the alignments (out of the six examined at various stages). This is the Pamban channel. It was rejected for whatever reason.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

enqyoob,
How did Shri Rama and entourage cross the Pamban?
The Pamban is just a channel that could be easily crossed by boats.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

enqyoob wrote:I have another question for you:

How did Shri Rama and entourage cross the Pamban? Is that place also not holy, by the same considerations? So if it is OK to drege there, what's wrong with dredging 12 miles out at sea where no one goes, otherwise?
Thanks for your considered reply.

ON the Q, I have no position on Sethu or Rama or Pamban - basically I personally don't give a damn.

My only goal is: Immediate - 10 X in 10 yrs & Long Term - how to get back to 25% world GDP that the British thugs stole from INDIA. Oh and Macaulites be damned too.
Calvin
BRFite

Post by Calvin »

How does this affect India's economy? In the context of port delays, a day circum navigating Ceylon should not be that big a deal.
indygill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by indygill »

It is interesting to see how some people are making "mockery" of "faith" of hundereds of millions.

Biasness is evident.

someone wrote
The RSS is pushing precisely what you suggested: dredge the Pamban to make this the shipping channel. But there are at least two things wrong with that:
Where did RSS come in??? They are not a "relgious institution". They are not a "religious" organizations they are "social". And this Ram Sethu Issue has become a "Religious Issue".

There is no "room" for compromise left anymore. You like it or you don't this is the "truth" now. Advocates of this project should blame congress for the affidavit and Tamil Nadu CM for his "gracious" remarks and CPI(M) for supported the "insults" from MK towards Lord Rama and the Holy Book Ramayana. From a "construction" project Issue it has become a "religious" Issue now.

Following statements are really very interesting
1. There are fish-farms near the shore, that will be destroyed, apparently, if larger ships start going through there.

2. The approaches also cut through coastal fish-farms or something like that.
Good point Sir..... Few thousand people are more "important" than the "faith" and "beliefs" of Hindus especially the Vashnaive denomination of Hindus, who number over 580 million.

"Faith is Blind". One should ask a question Is this project so important that the propogater are willing to plunge India into a "civil war" based on "religious"

----------------

One can even doubt the "intellect" of the propogater of this project.

Lets take the example of Tamil CM Krunanidhi - one can judge his IQ level from the fact that he named his son "Stalin"

Who the hell wanna name there kids after someone who has blood of over 20 million people on his hands. Think about it would you name your kid after a "mass murderer"?

That shows alot. This project in itself is a product of few "evil" minds. Real motives behind this project now are now in doubt and it all seems dubious. And as such the honesty and credibility of this entire project is lost in the eyes of the millions. This project now can easily be equated to an "evil" act.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

Perhaps Indirect benefit to the Indian Economy. The channel is expected to save nearly 30 hours and reduce 400 km off the voyage between Rameshwaram and Sri Lanka. Ships currently circumnavigate Sri Lanka onwards to other places like Indonesia/Aus/Singapore. They may stop at Sri Lanka if needed. The Sethu channel shaves of time in travel and also India may get some revenue. For ships from destinations like the Middle East, Africa, Mauritius and Europe, the average savings by using this canal is just 8 hours. Tuticorin may benefit if ships need to halt.

As I get more deeper into this controversy I see the following:

1) BJP approved the project in October 2002

The current BJP general secretary and the former surface transport minister, Arun Jaitley, the sole Tamil face in the BJP, S. Thirunavukkarasar, V.P. Goyal, Shatrughan Sinha, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharati were all involved in approving this project during the NDA regime.

2) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced the inauguration of the project on June 2, 2005. Why no outcry then ???
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

imho, there is little advantage over the short cut route.. more importantly, circling SL by IN is a better strategic and defence idea than just use the short cuts...

strategically, its safe to keep the status quo~!
enqyoobOLD
BRFite

Post by enqyoobOLD »

SShridhar:
The Pamban is just a channel that could be easily crossed by boats.

Sridhar: the bridges are something like 1 mile long. If SR and His army crossed such a channel, surely that would have been worth mention in the Ramayana?

So clearly the Pamban was either not there at the time - or it was part of the Sethu. The map makes it appear so. The mainland ends at Mandapam.
enqyoobOLD
BRFite

Post by enqyoobOLD »

Dear IndyGill: Any relation of "DGill" aka "DSingh" from 1999, or various avatars thereof? The writing and the thought process seem so familiar!

Another memorable post from you. Keep that up! The entertainment is superb.

If you want to see the role of the RSS in this, and the statements emanating from their leadership, please search on the internet. Too many to list here.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

I don't see that the BJP has the last word on this.

This issue here is destruction of a heritage site (Hey, let's re-shape the Om Parbat because it's only a naturally-occurring mountain peak! Let's build a hydroelectric dam on the Ganges, because it's just a naturally-occurring river!)

The issue is also the serious security threat that will be created for India by creating a shipping lane right under the nose of the LTTE. They will certainly be making use of such a shipping lane for resupply and transport activities. Look at how AlQaeda make use of the traffic flow of dhows across the Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea.

If you build this shipping lane for them, they will win the war.
And you know what? I think Karunanidhi/DMK know this, and that's what they're really after. LTTE is on its last legs, and they need a miracle to snatch themselves from the jaws of defeat. And we're about to provide it to them.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Sridhar: the bridges are something like 1 mile long. If SR and His army crossed such a channel, surely that would have been worth mention in the Ramayana?
N^3, the army of Lord Ram should surely have crossed so many rivers on their way from North to South and many of these rivers would have been mightier than they are today. I am sure that not all of them are mentioned in the Ramayana either.

Added Later: There is a hill in Rameswaram atop which is believed to be a foot imprint of Lord Rama. The belief here is that he surveyed bridge construction from there.
indygill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by indygill »

Dear IndyGill: Any relation of "DGill" aka "DSingh" from 1999,
No

If you want to see the role of the RSS in this, and the statements emanating from their leadership, please search on the internet. Too many to list here.
Yes initially maybe it was RSS versis others but at present it has simply become believers versis non-believers. Now it has become a "religious" issue cutting across social, cultural and political affliations.
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

bala wrote:2) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced the inauguration of the project on June 2, 2005. Why no outcry then ???
Because at the time it didn't seem that elections were about 6 months away.
enqyoobOLD
BRFite

Post by enqyoobOLD »

IndyGill, thanks. Yes, to answer the other question about "why now?", this issue was generated at some RSS meeting or other, and started with some cooked-up articles on tsunami danger from the present canal alignment.

The theme that the RSS is not "against the canal project, only against its present alignment" came after it became clear that people wanted the project.

So, as you correctly point out, the only objective was ALWAYS to start an election tamasha, with all "religious sentiment" replacing "tsunami science" as the "science" nonsense became untenable. There never was any technical/economic/national interest objective behind the agitation - it was always to whip up the lowest mob mentality in the name of "religious sentiment". The "religious sentiment" has the huge advantage of being resilient if the Supreme Court brushes aside the objections as being illogical, because you don't need logic to whip up "religious sentiment" mobs, as your own posts, and SanjayM's, so well illustrate. It's win-win. Either the Supreme Court is right and stops the project, or the Supreme Court is P-Sec, Corrupt and Anti-Hindu.
indygill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by indygill »

if you wish to save Ram Sethu check the following site

http://www.ramsethu.org/
indygill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by indygill »

Perhaps Indirect benefit to the Indian Economy. The channel is expected to save nearly 30 hours and reduce 400 km off the voyage between Rameshwaram and Sri Lanka. Ships currently circumnavigate Sri Lanka onwards to other places like Indonesia/Aus/Singapore

http://ramsethu.org/history10.html

Will ships use the canal at such costs?
K.S.Ramakrishnan
Former Deputy Chairman, Madras Port Trust
16 July 2005

The basic justification of the Sethusamudram Ship Canal Project (SSCP) is that it will reduce the distance between Kolkata and Tuticorin by 340 nautical miles and between Chennai and Tuticorin by 434 nautical miles, thereby saving for the ships plying between these places both fuel cost and time involved in sailing the additional distance.

This justification will be readily valid if the SSC is a free seaway which ships can sail through without any payment to the project authority.
But the SSC can not be a free seaway
… as ships will be allowed to pass through the canal only under regulated pilotage, and pushed /pulled by tugs belonging to the SSCP.

Obviously, even while saving on the cost of fuel, a ship passing through the canal will be expected to make a payment to the SSCP for using the facility.

The likely pilotage charge to be levied by the SSCP has not been made public, but an approximate figure can be guessed by extrapolating similar charges levied by the Chennai and Tuticorin Port at present.
The approach channel to the Chennai port has a length of 7 km. A 36,000 tonne coal ship calling at Chennai has to pay approximately Rs.21.75 a tonne, or a total of Rs.7.83 lakh, as pilotage charges averaging Rs.1.11 lakh per km.

Tuticorin's approach channel is only 2.4 km long and an identical coal ship calling at this port is levied Rs.17 a tonne, or a total of 6.12 lakh, towards pilotage, working out to Rs.3 lakh per km.

(The comparative lower rate per km at Chennai is because the capitol cost of digging the much older channel has been amortised a long time ago.)

The projected length of the Sethusamudram channel is 56 km. Both capital and recurring cost will be much higher for the SSCP than for the Chennai and Tuticorin ports, and its levy of pilotage per km is likely to be substantially higher than that of even the latter if it has to have a 9 per cent return on the capital.

Even if the Chennai rate is assumed, the same ship will have to pay over 60 lakhs to the SSCP for passing through the canal.

But the cost of fuel that will be saved by the same ship by taking the shorter route through the Sethusamudram canal instead of sailing round Sri Lanka will be less than Rs. 7 lakh, which is even less than 1/8 of SSCP's likely levy.

The saving in sailing time for that ship will also be substantially less than the 36 hours projected by the SSCP because the ship can not be towed through the canal at its normal speed through the canal, and the time will also be lost in embarkation/disembarkation of pilots and other inspection procedures. The saving in sailing time of just about a day will not justify the incurring of over 8 times the cost of fuel saved.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

This whole project looks to me like a project of someone's egoistic satisfaction.

If a 20 line road and rail corridor is planned between Chennai and Tuticorn and the ships from Kolkata land at Chennai or some other port on the east coast and take the commodities from there via containers on rail or land would be sufficent. Even if the ship directly goes to Tuticorn what advantage it has? The commodities have to be loaded to something to be taken on the road?

I guess they are not planning to use setusamudram for taking things from Kolkata to Mumbai or Karachi.

To me usage of setusamudram for commercial ships itself does not seem to have any great economic advantage except to revive DMK as the real DK.
Calvin
BRFite

Post by Calvin »

The saving in sailing time of just about a day will not justify the incurring of over 8 times the cost of fuel saved.
This is not exactly how a shipper looks at it. If they save a day, then that is an extra day for transportation.

Assuming that a ship travels at 12mph. We can deduce the following:

Chennai - Tuticorin distance goes from 900 mi to 500 mi, which means that the journey goes from 75 h to 41 h, or a reduction in travel time of 45%.

Typical coal unloaders run about 1500 t/h, so this 36,000 ton ship needs 24 to load and another 24 to unload. If we throw in another 24 hours to deal with the local culture, we have a total turnaround time of 4 days presently, being reduced to 3 days.

This could potentially increase revenues to the shipper by 25%.
indygill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by indygill »

Now a Leftists view of the Project and Issues. Judge for yourself from the approach and reasoning by commies. Their oulook and agenda. Strangely Hindu Sentiment and faith is not even a factor.

It is amazing that leftist think and compare Hindu faith and its God to by gone "Greek Gods and Mythology". But they forget that greek religion was finished thousands of years ago and it is not "faith" anymore it is only "history" whereas Hinduism is a practicing religion showing guidance in life to over a Billion People. It is the 3rd largest religion in the world.

Common Hindus religious sentiments are politicized by leftists by equating this "sentiment" and "hurt" of a common Hindu to political and social outfits of BJP and Sangh Privar. It is a convenient tactic to deviate from the real issue and create confusion and misinformation. But leftists got to realilze that they are not living in 1970's and 80's. You cannot control flow of information anymore times have changed and so has the generation.
-----------------------------------

http://pd.cpim.org/2007/0520/05202007_vandana.htm

People's Democracy
(Weekly Organ of the Communist Party of India (Marxist)
Vol. XXXI
No. 20
May 20, 2007
Ram Sethu And Sethusamudram Project
Communal agenda of BJP and Sangh Parivar
Vandana

DUSTED out of the attic, 144 year old project first envisaged by Commander A D Taylor of the Indian Marine in 1860, Sethusamudram Ship canal project (SSCP) has evoked mixed reaction. Seen as an opportunity for development by attracting cargo vessels to ports in the Eastern Coast, particularly Tuticorin port, the project is viewed by some as long over due. Others citing various environmental issues as well as that the project would become uneconomical due to large scale sedimentation witnessed in this region of ocean consider it as uneconomical.

In the midst of the debate a new twist has been smuggled in by the BJP and the Sangh Parivar to communalise the issue. Alleging that the move for dismantling of the Ram Setu, a natural shoals in the region called Adams Bridge, ‘is the conspiracy of Congress, the Left and Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam’, Mr Ashok Singal, president of VHP issued a threat of agitations by VHP and BJP if the project is not stopped forth with.

In fact the project was claimed to be the handy work of almost all the parties in TN. AIADMKof Ms J Jayalalitha, MDMK of Shri V Gopalasamy, DMK of Shri M Karunanidhi each claimed credit for bringing the project to TN and ushering in development. Until recently even BJP too was in the bandwagon saying that it was during the last NDA regime that the project was given a go ahead.

Pegged at about Rs.2,250 crores cost, the Sethusamudram Ship Canal Project (SSCP) aims at dredging the shallow ocean and crating an artificial canal that could provide passage to draft ships and cargo containers. SSCP will link the Gulf of Mannar and Palk Bay in the southeastern coast of India. The total length of SSCP would be about 260 km, covering Palk Bay, Adam’s bridge and Gulf of Mannar regions. The project envisages dredging a width of 300 meters of this stretch to provide a continuous navigable route cut through Adam’s Bridge, a natural chain of shoals to avoid circumnavigating Sri Lanka. The canal will have an average depth of 12 metres enabling 10,000 to 12,000 GRT (gross registered ton) vessels to pass through. At present for the ships to port at Tuticorin, they have to go around Sri Lanka cruising additional 360 miles and wasting about 36 hrs.

Right from the day the project was inaugurated it has witnessed hostility from various quarters. Opposition ranged from much anticipated ‘no development’ environmentalists, inevitable unhealthy political opposition for the sake of stealing the thunder out of the ruling party and dispassionate scientific scepticism that cautioned about the potential mass sedimentation in the region and fragile eco-system in the region. While it is important to address the genuine concerns and find a balanced development path that meets the need of short term immediate needs of the people of the locality as well as long term sustainability, frivolous opposition is injurious to development and rational public debates on developmental policy.

BJP and the Sangh parivar have once again come off its true colours. The aim is not to engage in rational debate on policy. The threat of agitation, sans stoppage of the SSCP, is not based on rational scientific studies or concerns arising out of it. Rather, the opposition stems from communal agenda, ‘the SSCP would disturb and destroy the bridge built by Lord Ram, mythical Ram Sethu of Ramayana’ being the sole issue.
To buttress their ludicrous claim they have once again resurrected false and forged story circulated by the Sangh Parivar earlier. Sangh Parivar affiliated news services stated in 1992 that US agency's space borne cameras had discovered the remains of the mythical bridge built by Rama across the Palk Strait. Further it is asserted that the NASA had concluded that the bridge to be man-made from the ‘bridge´s unique curvature and composition by age’. Arguing that the legends as well as archaeological studies reveal that the first signs of human inhabitants in Sri Lanka date back to the primitive age, about 1,750,000 years ago and the bridge´s age is also almost equivalent. As Rama’s rein was to have taken place during tredha yuga (more than 1,700,000 years ago) and the alleged age of the ‘bridge’ match. The SSCP would disturb this ‘historical’ and ‘holy’ structure. This in essence is the claim of Sangh Parivar.

Uncritically citing this news that appeared in the Internet sites sympathetic to Sangh Parivar, PTI had reported the same. As the news was catchy, the media uncritically lapped it. Soon however the media woke-up to the fraud when the matter was verified with NASA. Writing in Hindustan Times on October 17, 2002, its Washington correspondent S Rajagopalan wrote that ‘NASA poured cold water on the claims’ citing NASA official Mark Hess categorically stated that ‘Remote sensing images or photographs from orbit cannot provide direct information about the origin or age of a chain of islands, and certainly cannot determine whether humans were involved in producing any of the patterns seen’. NASA distanced itself from the story and stated that it made no claims whatsoever regarding the age or nature of the shoals in the region.
One wonders why Sangh Parivar had to take recourse to NASA’s images when there are excellent images from Indian satellites? Is it due to their new found love for America for waging unjustified war in the Gulf region claiming it to be a war of civilisations? Using the Survey of India (SOI) topographic map and IRS LISS-III satellite data, changes in coastal and off-shore morphology of the Gulf of Mannar have been studied. Some of the studies indicate that there is a decrease of 0.51m in the sea floor depth all along shelf-region of the Gulf of Mannar between 1975-1999. Seaward migration of shoreline is said to be evident. Further it is postulated that the Gulf of Mannar seafloor has been rising by tectonic movement as indicated by the newly formed spits, swales, beach ridges, mudflat, strandlines and reduction of seafloor depth. The chain of shoals that are popularly called as ‘Adam’s Bridge’ are nothing but such accretion of littoral currents in this region.

When the controversy emerged earlier the age of the Adam’s Bridge shoals was questioned. Talking to the reporter of Indian Express, (published on Feb 3, 2003) Professor S.M. Ramasamy of Centre for Remote Sensing (CRS) of Bharathidasan University, Tiruchi had asserted that the Adam’s bridge over Palk Strait is about 3,500 years and not 1.7 million years as claimed by Sangh Parivar. Further he clarified that the carbon dating of some ancient beaches between Thiruthuraipoondi and Kodiyakarai show the Thiruthuraipoondi beach dates back to 6,000 years and the Kodiyakarai beach to 1,100 years. In other words, the sea was near Thiruthuraipoondi 6,000 years ago and reached Kodiyakarai only around 1,100 years ago. Attributing the formation of the shoals to long shore drifting currents, Ramaswamy explained that consequent dumping of sand in a linear pattern along the current shadow zone between Dhanushkodi and Talaimannar resulted in the ‘bridge’. Hoping that the public memory would be short and no one would recall the denial by NASA to the frivolous canards Sangh Parivar has raised the bogey of affront to Lord Ram and the destruction of Ram Sethu once again. Including J Jayalalitha, chief of AIADMK and mouth pieces of Sangh Parivar like V Sundaram use the same exposed and discredited ‘NASA report’ to prop their farcical arguments.

It is noteworthy that N. Ramanujam, Head, Post Graduate Department of Geology and Research Centre, V.O. Chidambaram College assailed the Sangh Parivar’s fantastic claim and stated that ‘Adam's Bridge is not a man made structure rather it's a geological phenomenon’ (reported in The Hindu, March 17, 2007). Explaining that the Adam's Bridge is only a chain of shoals between the Palk Strait and the Gulf of Mannar, created by sedimentation owing to long shore currents, Ramanujam traced the geological history of the Palk Strait and the Gulf of Mannar. The region was part of Cauvery basin, which was formed during the separation of India and Antarctica about 70 million years ago during the `Gondwana period.' The long shore currents on the southern side of island created a discontinuous shoreline eastward from Dhanuskodi to Talaimannar, which is the Adam's Bridge.

Lack of even basic scientific knowledge amongst Sangh Parivar and their supporters is clear from the incredible claim that the first signs of human inhabitants in Sri Lanka date back to the a primitive age, about 1,750,000 years ago. Indeed anyone with even basic familiarity with human evolution would know that modern humans are only about 2, 00,000 years old. The oldest well-dated fossils of modern humans (Homo sapiens) currently known anywhere in the world is just 1, 96,000 years old. The species might have emerged a lakh or two years earlier. In any case 1,750,000 years is far fetched. The Indian sub-continent and Sri Lanka is estimated to be populated by modern humans not earlier than 80,000 years ago.

While the need to debate and discuss questions of environmental concerns and economic viability could be understood, communal twists to developmental concern is a tragedy. Disregarding meticulous and painstaking scientific research and making far-fetched claims, the party that hopes to rule this country is a shame on India and its science. Once more the game of Sangh Parivar is evident , its only concern is to once again divide the nation along the communal lines, pitting one section of our people against another. Nation, development or environment are nothing but lip service.
indygill
BRFite -Trainee

Post by indygill »

calvin
This could potentially increase revenues to the shipper by 25%.
Shippers would only increase revenues if they increase the frieght charges to its costumers.

Since it is a left oriented project that would mean higher frieghts for private firms and subsidized rates for govt. cargo carrying ships. With the cost estimated to go up by 8% and anticipated subsidized prices etc this project is doomed to Bankcrupt ecnomically. Ofcourse a investors GOI is the grantor on the investments. So as usual GOI will pay off from the tax payers money.

Amazingly none of the propogator of the projects have shown us any break down of costs and profits.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

enqyoob wrote:IndyGill, thanks. Yes, to answer the other question about "why now?", this issue was generated at some RSS meeting or other, and started with some cooked-up articles on tsunami danger from the present canal alignment.

The theme that the RSS is not "against the canal project, only against its present alignment" came after it became clear that people wanted the project.

So, as you correctly point out, the only objective was ALWAYS to start an election tamasha, with all "religious sentiment" replacing "tsunami science" as the "science" nonsense became untenable. There never was any technical/economic/national interest objective behind the agitation - it was always to whip up the lowest mob mentality in the name of "religious sentiment". The "religious sentiment" has the huge advantage of being resilient if the Supreme Court brushes aside the objections as being illogical, because you don't need logic to whip up "religious sentiment" mobs, as your own posts, and SanjayM's, so well illustrate. It's win-win. Either the Supreme Court is right and stops the project, or the Supreme Court is P-Sec, Corrupt and Anti-Hindu.
Oh boy, this marvelous logic from our resident Islamabad/Jaffna ambassador, enqyoob.

So all heritage sites must be destroyed to satisfy enqyoob, otherwise we're in the grips of RSS, and we're all wearing the dots on our foreheads. :roll: :roll:

Brilliant. Perfectly brilliant reasoning.

And he claims that we can chase LTTE speedboats through the Palk Straits using heavy frigates and aircraft carriers, thanks to his Sethusamudram strategy. Brilliant. Brilliant like Brilliant Pebbles. Next he'll tell convince us that an SDI program is what will stop LTTE.

Creating a shipping lane that runs right by LTTE's domain isn't going to help us catch them. On the contrary, it's going to help LTTE win the war. They are going to use the nearby shipping lane for resupply and transport, and just general camouflage.
This is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

Whoever signs their name onto this BAD IDEA ought to be held COMPLETELY LIABLE for it.
If DMK screws our national security, then they need to be held accountable by being banned. Miserable 5th columnists.
Calvin
BRFite

Post by Calvin »

Shippers would only increase revenues if they increase the frieght charges to its costumers.
Not at all. Shippers would increase revenues by increasing the utilization of their ships. One extra day out of 4 means that they could be shipping 25% more cargo than they would otherwise. Instead of making 90 trips a year they are able to make 120 trips a year.

If we said that they would not get the extra 30 trips for whatever additional reasons, in addition to the extra day we threw in in the initial calculation, likely they would get at least another 20 trips.
Calvin
BRFite

Post by Calvin »

Please do not start launching ad hominem (or personal) attacks. If anyone feels compelled to do so, they will find their privileges revoked.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Calvin, I feel that the warnings are once again becoming selective, so that one side is being favoured in this argument.

I feel that we need to examine in-depth how the LTTE-Colombo conflict would be affected by this Sethusamudram shipping lane.

I feel that there will be a very dangerous impact on India. This is a defense forum, and all these silly debates about whether land-bridges, mountains or rivers were formed naturally or instead by God are stupid and pointless. I really don't see what moral or ethical point is made from such debates.

A heritage site is no less sacred whether it was made naturally or artificially.
The attempt to drag discussions in that direction are merely attempts to muddy the waters.

The danger of LTTE benefitting from the nearby flow of shipping traffic past its nose is not being addressed here at all, and it needs to be.
Nobody seems to be doing the important assessment on this.
Calvin
BRFite

Post by Calvin »

The danger of LTTE benefitting from the nearby flow of shipping traffic past its nose is not being addressed here at all, and it needs to be.
Nobody seems to be doing the important assessment on this.
Then do it.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sanjay

you are throwing up a bogey here.

The IN will be able to bring in more resources if anything. Presently it has a whole bunch of patrol boats and helos and UAVs.

Controlling the LTTE has never been a military issue

It has been a political issue with the Centre being wishy washy

I find it funny that the IN can be trusted to help patrol the Malacca straits ( abigger and harder area to patrol) by the US and others but Sanjay and ONLY Sanjay does not believe it can handle the LTTE

Please.... :eek:
enqyoobOLD
BRFite

Post by enqyoobOLD »

Oh! I was out most of the day on other things, and missed this wonderful gems of argument. Posted by SanjayM:
Oh boy, this marvelous logic from our resident Islamabad/Jaffna ambassador, enqyoob.

So all heritage sites must be destroyed to satisfy enqyoob, otherwise we're in the grips of RSS, and we're all wearing the dots on our foreheads.
Oh great, more great feats of imagination from Steve "enqyoob" Jobs.
He's hoping that LTTE infiltration across Palk Straits will spawn great innovations. Heh, yeah, innovations in IED technology. Better Things For Better Living.
Uhhh, thank you, Mr Kurzweil, I'm sure that you and the LTTE will help us reach the "Convergence" and the "Singularity". This will be after you introduce Prabhakaran to Alvin and Heidi Toffler at the next Davos meeting, right?

Ever heard of rail or trucking??? You mean you'd like to see the interior Indian regions totally bypassed by seaborne shipping, so that they'll remain undeveloped Bantustans, bypassed by the autonomous coastal "nations", right? Good job.
But I note that the sense of grievance and injustice is alive and well despite the above clear evidence:
Calvin, I feel that the warnings are once again becoming selective, so that one side is being favoured in this argument.
(What argument? Whether Om Parbat should be dynamited? The Ganga dammed? TN turned into Bantustan? Whether Prabhakaran should be introduced to Heidi Toffee at the Davos meeting? )

My small question here is, how I can be resident ambassador of BOTH Islamabad and Jaffna. This seems to be a bit severe, hey?

Somehow a TV ad comes to mind.. from the NAACP, was it? 8)
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Surya wrote:Sanjay

you are throwing up a bogey here.

The IN will be able to bring in more resources if anything. Presently it has a whole bunch of patrol boats and helos and UAVs.
Bring in what resources? What advantages would destroying the natural feature of the Ram Setu bring for patrolling against LTTE?

Why would patrol boats, helos or UAVs need dredging of the Palk Straits?
Anything heavy enough to require that dredging for passage is going to be too slow to pursue LTTE boats.
Controlling the LTTE has never been a military issue

It has been a political issue with the Centre being wishy washy

I find it funny that the IN can be trusted to help patrol the Malacca straits ( abigger and harder area to patrol) by the US and others but Sanjay and ONLY Sanjay does not believe it can handle the LTTE

Please.... :eek:
Strange, I don't recall any pirate from Malacca straits having assassinated an Indian Prime Minister. Or have they? I guess it means that Malacca pirates are more of a security threat to India than LTTE, Khalistanis, Naxalites, or jihadis in Kashmir. :roll:

In other words, I don't think that Malacca pirates really compare significantly against LTTE, which is the world's most ruthless guerrilla movement. They're not much of a yardstick to compare LTTE against.

Your comment about the Centre being wishy washy against LTTE certainly points to the fact that some militants know how to fight us more cleverly than others. Some militants have been able infiltrate us politically, to the point where they can inflict paralysis on us from within. Hey, Sun Tsu pointed out that the best way to defeat an enemy is without having to fire a shot, and I don't doubt that the LTTE supporters know this.

Pride and overconfidence come before a fall, and India's track record on national security is an easy testament to this.

Creating a shipping lane right along the LTTE's domain of influence is only going to help them pull themselves off the ropes. They are not only going to pull themselves from death's door, but they will rejuvenate, become resurgent -- and yes, they could ultimately win the war, with a gift like this.
Because once you build a nice fat juicy artery near the tumour, then it will allow the tumour to grow. Most tumour-fighting strategies revolve around trying to eliminate the blood-vessels that feed the offending tumours.

Don't try to create a key transport artery next to these guys, or their cancer will come back. And this time it will finish us off. Don't say that nobody warned you in advance. Not that Indian history isn't full of examples of overconfident people discarding timely warnings -- again, and again, and again. Maybe it's just our fate. When these mistakes come from us so many times repeatedly, how can one not suspect that there is some fundamental flaw within us as a people?