South India River Water Issues/Disputes

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

South India River Water Issues/Disputes

Post by SwamyG »

I have split the topic to allow a through discussion and let nukkad be a nukkad.

ramana
-----------------------------------

What's up with KA and TN, fighting always over some darn thing! Is the issues "created" by the politicians or are there real underlying issues? Why are there protests for a water project inside TN near Hogenkal?
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

Nayak wrote:Nice scam, now maybe chuckhter can apply for Indian citizenship to $crew around with butt buddy Salman 'topless' Khan

Cricinfo
Shoaib banned for five years

Cricinfo staff

April 1, 2008

Nasim Ashraf: The board has lost confidence in Shoaib Akhtar © AFP

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, 32, has been banned for five years by a disciplinary committee of the PCB for violating the players' code of conduct. The ban extends to cricket for and in Pakistan but will leave him free to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL), which begins later this month.

"The board has lost confidence in Shoaib Akhtar and therefore felt that his presence in the field was damaging to the Pakistan team, for Pakistan players and for the image of Pakistan cricket," PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf told AFP.

Akhtar had appeared before a disciplinary committee in February after being charged with publicly criticising the Pakistan board over the retainership offered to him. He was already on two years' probation for hitting Mohammad Asif with a bat before the start of the World Twenty20 in South Africa in 2007.

© Cricinfo
Is this an April Fool's Prank?....Paki crickketttt....Gosh
Raju

Post by Raju »

SwamyG wrote:What's up with KA and TN, fighting always over some darn thing! Is the issues "created" by the politicians or are there real underlying issues? Why are there protests for a water project inside TN near Hogenkal?
TN is like Pakistan .. they are always fighting with their neighbours for one thing or the other. The motto esp in case of water is 'whatever is mine is mine' and 'whatever is yours is also mine'. :lol:
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Raju wrote: TN is like Pakistan .. they are always fighting with their neighbours for one thing or the other. The motto esp in case of water is 'whatever is mine is mine' and 'whatever is yours is also mine'. :lol:
:roll:
Raju

Post by Raju »

Indus Water treaty sense.

here is another one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullaperiyar_Dam
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

bart wrote:
Raju wrote: 'whatever is yours is also mine'. :lol:
:roll:
:shock: No!.. achtung! achtung! .. Raju is above the radar now!.. any posts in love and marraige thread, needs bradmin scruitiny.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

SwamyG wrote:What's up with KA and TN, fighting always over some darn thing! Is the issues "created" by the politicians or are there real underlying issues? Why are there protests for a water project inside TN near Hogenkal?
SwamyG,
Not too sure why KA seems to have a problem with water flowing downstream into TN and TN utilising it for drinking. But the bone of contention seems to be the fact that KA claims that Hoganekkal is part of KA and not TN. Obviously TN claims otherwise. They seem to call this disputed territory and want the border dispute between the states settled, esp regarding Hog.. Now, similar to the Kaveri case, emotions are being stirred up and Tamil films, cinemas are being attacked and what not.
Raju

Post by Raju »

In Gurgaon there is no water since past two weeks. Can you believe .. that sh!tehole is touted as 'Future &%$#$'. In dilli last week PMO quarters didn't get any water. ha

dilli has been under 'buree nazar' of outsiders for some time now. It is on a strong downhill path. WIthin a decade or two this place will be completely deserted and emptied.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Raju wrote:
TN is like Pakistan .. they are always fighting with their neighbours for one thing or the other. The motto esp in case of water is 'whatever is mine is mine' and 'whatever is yours is also mine'. :lol:
Trying to pi$$ off our Dravidian biraders eh !!

Arent you satisfied with the spanking from Maratha regiment...

:D :D :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I can understand from the migratory aspects.. who likes it and who doesn't likes it. Tamizhans are little heavy headed for having a longer history, thus their claims of ownership of cauvery water.

From an usage perspective, its bad luck.. blame it on the person who divided our nation by language. We had a wonderful chance to solve this problem after 1947., we missed it grossly.

TN has to focus on Inter-linking of rivers.. may be their scientists should work on nuke based earth melter, that drives the hole 50ft down connecting cauvery and ganges and brahma.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

We have too many states! Time to wield the stick and make like four zones and shut the politicians up. :P
Raju

Post by Raju »

archan wrote:We have too many states! Time to wield the stick and make like four zones and shut the politicians up. :P
Very bad idea. TN wil then grab all water with impunity. :P
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think with himalayas snowfed waters in retreat now and water tables
declining all over india , now is the time to plan for mega solar,wind and wave powered desalination plants. and lay a x-country network of water
pipes.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Singha wrote:I think with himalayas snowfed waters in retreat now and water tables
declining all over india , now is the time to plan for mega solar,wind and wave powered desalination plants. and lay a x-country network of water
pipes.
masive, futuristic and high tech -> Visionary!!!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Arts, culture & language need two kinds of support – demographic or state patronage. In the absence of both, they tend to evolve or vanish. In the olden days, Kings patronized various artists and arts flourished. Kings patronized poets, language and literature flourished. There was always the hand of the ‘state’ in the affairs. The lingual division of India is one kind of patronage to the major languages.

I just hope TN and KA solve their issues amicably. Just in a hypothetical scenario if KA and TN were still ruled by two Kings how would the situation be resolved? There would have been an outright war or some kind of peace treaty. But I doubt if the local population would have been so driven into frenzy!

IMO, linking rivers is not a good option. Probably it will be a great engineering achievement. But a cheaper solution would be to better harvest the water. I like the desalination solution. Jayalalitha gave a big boost to RWH scheme in Madras, and reports indicated the water table increasing. Money should be spent in deepening pond systems and interlinking them.

I support the interlinking of regional ponds, lakes, streams and rivers than taking it to the national level.

Temples, in the olden days, had a small pond attached to it. It was our way of harvesting water.

With the rising population, it would be good idea to encourage people to migrate elsewhere – Oz, Massaland, Russi land :twisted:
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Raju wrote:In Gurgaon there is no water since past two weeks. Can you believe .. that sh!tehole is touted as 'Future &%$#$'. In dilli last week PMO quarters didn't get any water. ha

dilli has been under 'buree nazar' of outsiders for some time now. It is on a strong downhill path. WIthin a decade or two this place will be completely deserted and emptied.
I am sure this is the fault of either of the following

Sharad Pawar
Sachin Tendulkar
Reptilians from the Zeta Reticulan system

:P
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

For those who are having issues accessing BR (gashish etc):

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 460#474460
Raju

Post by Raju »

Firstly there needs to be a sense of social ownership over public property. Those areas of India that are already socially split down the middle on various grounds will always find themselves unable to manage or govern their societies. This is happening in large swathes of North and Central India. this is a significant software error that needs to be fixed to take the next step. Social cohesion is necessary to take the next step in development. Else it will be perpetual case of good money wasted on bad projects and corrupt/inefficient managers without any result gained. Such places also breed human beings with lack of self-esteem, integrity and decorum as well.
SwamyG wrote:With the rising population, it would be good idea to encourage people to migrate elsewhere – Oz, Massaland, Russi land :twisted:
Nobody will accept people lower down the chain (bottom feeders), low net worth group without a fight. Only option is to defeat these countries in war and resettle and this brings us at level with Chinkil-type policymaking when we are saddled with MMS-type leadership. Or ourselves gain ascendency over these societies through prosperity so that they welcome us with open arms but for that those areas with social discord need to achieve better social cohesion and sense of social ownership anyway.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

The forum guidelines say we can't discuss domestic politics here. So, all I am going to say is that pre WW2 Germany was a better neighbour than TN IMVVHO.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Cheaper solution includes to stop invading the forest land, and think about bringing back forest space to about 100 years ago. A big bang to reduce population by some asteroid strike should also help in the ever destructing humans. The devastation is faster in the tropical regions, where we are very vulnerable, just take tsunami alone.

Recreating the water bodies, by brining in the water from somewhere is a good option. A dam built should be substantiated with another channel on the same river route, thus brining back the history. Or, go migrate. Migrate to KA, and TN remains desserted.

Absolutely, there is nothing wrong in interlinking of rivers.. Its the best solution.. but care must be taken to link at junctions where the river comes back to life, and just recreating the environment that was the past.
So every dam point is a linking point (just after the dam). And this would be a fight again between TN and KA. KA may want the link junction before the dam, and TN after the dam. court cases, and that would run to years and years.

Who said chinese can do things in a jiffy in such situations. People don't fight nor revolt. They just take it.. its given.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

Dileep wrote:The forum guidelines say we can't discuss domestic politics here. So, all I am going to say is that pre WW2 Germany was a better neighbour than TN IMVVHO.
Whoa!!! Mallus and Kannadigas seem to hate the Tamils with all their hearts. May I ask why? Just because TN asks for the water it is legally entitled to or is it jealousy that TN is growing industrially? What has TN done to any Kannadiga or Mallu to deserve a comparison lower than the Nazis? Last I heard it was the Tamils that got killed in Bombay, Karnataka, Srilanka and Malaysia.

Edit: Guruprabhu...my earlier post was just a matter of a wrong choice of words. I have specified exactly what I meant now.
Last edited by KarthikSan on 02 Apr 2008 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

Vande Mataram
Last edited by GuruPrabhu on 02 Apr 2008 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

EDITED
Last edited by KarthikSan on 02 Apr 2008 01:17, edited 2 times in total.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

KarthikSan wrote:
Dileep wrote:The forum guidelines say we can't discuss domestic politics here. So, all I am going to say is that pre WW2 Germany was a better neighbour than TN IMVVHO.
Whoa!!! Mallus and Kannadigas seem to hate the Tamils with all their hearts. May I ask why? Just because TN asks for the water it is legally entitled to or is it jealousy that TN is growing industrially? What has TN done to any Kannadiga or Mallu to deserve a comparison lower than the Nazis? Last I heard it was the Tamils that get killed all over India and the world.
Very funny. He mentions one is not allowed to talk domestic politics and he does not ask us to cut it out, but manages to insert one of the vilest analogies – equating us with the Nazis. It is a clue to us that one can not even reason with an individual who provides this kind of analogy. It is usually end of the discussion on the internet when one descends to such tactics. There is nothing "very very humble" about the opinion.

Every body else can be "jingoistic" except the tamilians.

Saik: Why do you say linking rivers is the best solution?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SwamyG, please excuse economics and money value from the "best solution" definitions. I was only, interested in bringing back the life of the past river, that existed without any dam.

Again, I am not saying it does not have an effect [globally speaking], where otherwise the non-diverted or channelized river would have happily gone into the ocean [perhaps, the salt concentration could effect global climatic changes, who knows].

But, from the perspective of damages done by our ever carbon emission vehicles, the river inter-linking is just 0.0000000000000000001 of the problem for global climatic changes.

Hence, its the best solution. We can bring back the river that was flowing.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

KarthikSan wrote: Have you ever heard of anti - Kannadiga or anti-Mallu **** in TN? I am sorry it touched a nerve. But I'm just curious about the hate.
http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/14veer1.htm
:twisted:
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

Jai Hind
Last edited by GuruPrabhu on 02 Apr 2008 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

SaiK wrote:
KarthikSan wrote: Have you ever heard of anti - Kannadiga or anti-Mallu **** in TN? I am sorry it touched a nerve. But I'm just curious about the hate.
http://www.rediff.com/news/2000/sep/14veer1.htm
:twisted:
People like Tamizharasan and Veerappan were terrorists and were dealt with like the vermin they are. Will the KA govt. deal with Vattal Nagaraj the same way?
Rye
BRFite

Post by Rye »

Oh, nice...parochial clashes among the BR educated. :roll:
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

EDITED
Last edited by KarthikSan on 02 Apr 2008 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

Rye wrote:Oh, nice...parochial clashes among the BR educated. :roll:
I am just trying to find out why a well educated man like Dileep would compare an entire state to the Nazis :twisted:
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Water disputes need to be treated from the analogy of industrial competitiveness. It is only human to share fresh water rights for the purpose of human consumption. But for agriculture such sharing leads to issues. Will TN/KA/KR or for that matter any other state or group limit their industrial activities just so that it can help others to catch up too and prosper. :twisted: All the court rulings etc are based on precedence and part of inheritance from archaic rules and regulations established during British time...may not be applicable today at closer scrutiny.

In case of TN with their water deficit due to weather patterns and geography it has been a handicap in the past. But then today it can prosper with industrial growth so why bother with agriculture in such an arid environment. It makes no business sense since they are not competitive as water shortage is a huge concern.
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

Jai Bharat Mata
Last edited by GuruPrabhu on 02 Apr 2008 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

I have edited my earlier post. It does not matter if the issue is 16 years old. The fact is that Tamilians have to live in fear every time some small time thug in KA has an itch up his Musharraf. I won't discuss this anymore.

However I still want to register my protest against Dileep and I request that he edit his post.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

ON Water:

1) Indian Govt needs to nationalize rivers immediately; no more water wars; since 80% of water is currently wasted i.e. into the Sea; need to share 100% of water due to the gift of Himalayas for India; people in large cities are from all parts of India; so in Bluru we have quite a cross-section; similarly in Chennai, Kochin, Trivandrum etc;

2) When GOI has an international agreement for water with Pukes as INDUS water treaty; why can't it have a treaty for all states of the Union. one common treaty; and stop the endless, stupid irrigation schemes which are corruption central; instead interlink the rivers; have a decent irrigation plan chalked out nationally and go for it whatever the costs may be; since in the longer run things will work out the best. Interlinking local water sources also should be part of the plan, including RWH.

On Future Plans:

solar power can be used to distill water from the sea and pipe it inland.

BTW using solar heat to heat up water as steam and drive a turbine is gaining momentum everywhere..

PG&E makes huge solar deal
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

my point is, cut the emotions. and talk about the issues.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Oh boy,

if this continues, I will have soon to be ex members joining my school.

cut it out guys..

This dispute over water sharing will never end.
rahul_r
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahul_r »

planning on making the move to macbook pro. Any brf tech gurus here have any words of wisdom?
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

KarthikSan wrote:
Rye wrote:Oh, nice...parochial clashes among the BR educated. :roll:
I am just trying to find out why a well educated man like Dileep would compare an entire state to the Nazis :twisted:
saar-log, in his defense, Dileep does not exempt anyone from being stuck with his "labels". Except of course the Holy Midlands and his khwaja, Sreesanth :P

Dileep, you had once informed me that "this is not SSC, this is BRF", when I pointed out that as a person from Trivandrum, I object to some of the parochial jokes and crude generalizations being paraded as "facts". You are evidently not heeding your own advice. That too by creating a schism that never existed between Tamilians and Malayalees in this forum. :evil: Yes there are political issues to be sorted out about water sharing. But comparing Tamilnadu to WW2 Germany?

TN is aggressive in its water policy because of its natural water deficiency. If other states cant understand that or cope with that, it is not TN's problem.

Karthiksan, dont score self goals by saying it is "Tamils that got killed in Bombay, Karnataka, Srilanka and Malaysia. ". You are opening yourself to unwanted and untrue allegations. And "Mallus and Kannadigas seem to hate the Tamils with all their hearts"? Dont manufacture such stuff. The only thing I resent about Tamilnadu is that you guys stole our Shobhana and kept her in Chennai. And yeah, you guys dont let Kamal act in a Malayalam movie. Last he acted was in the 1989 malayalam movie Chanakyan, a matter of great concern for me. :x
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

hnair wrote:Karthiksan, dont score self goals by saying it is "Tamils that got killed in Bombay, Karnataka, Srilanka and Malaysia. ". You are opening yourself to unwanted and untrue allegations. And "Mallus and Kannadigas seem to hate the Tamils with all their hearts"? Dont manufacture such stuff. The only thing I resent about Tamilnadu is that you guys stole our Shobhana and kept her in Chennai. And yeah, you guys dont let Kamal act in a Malayalam movie. Last he acted was in the 1989 malayalam movie Chanakyan, a matter of great concern for me. :x
Nair Saar....just look at some of the posts in this thread. I don't know where Raju is from but I have a strong belief that he is from KA. He compares Tamilnadu to Pakistan. That is the deepest insult for any self respecting Indian. Dileep saar compares TN to Nazi Germany. Why should I think they all love us? I did not manufacture anything. I just reacted to their posts.

As for Shobana and Kamal its up to them to act in whatever language they like. Maybe mallu directors should quit making run of the mill masala type movies and offer roles that fit their caliber :wink: