Vivek K wrote:
We've all seen the frustration of posters with the loss of innocent life and the lack of focussed response or retribution for these senseless attacks. The lack of retribution for these cowardly attacks has emboldened the attackers and spawned a generation of new terrorists (viz SIMI, IM etc.). With a defence budget in excess of $20 billion, the inability to respond invites more attacks and the label of a "soft state". What should the response to this attack be?
I would suggest that we not get distracted by Mr. Patil's clothes. However, Mr. Patil, as head of the anti-terrorism apparatus (being the Home Minister), is a shame and a liability. As a first step, he should be replaced by a more capable and dynamic leader.
Thanks for starting a very important thread. In my opinion, your question, 'What should the Indian response be?' can be looked at from two angles
1) What should be the response of the Indian Government?
2) What should be our response, as Indian citizens and Hindus?
I believe, that we (educated, english speaking, computer literate) are too small in number to influence (1) and our opinions are too amorphous to be translated into a concrete action plan for the GoI. Even if they were, the Government of India today is dominated by unethical people like Laloo Prasad, Man Mohan Singh and so on. They are incapable of taking any action..
Hence, our focus should be on (2). Hopefully, from our response as Hindus and Indians will arise a concrete approach and resolve for the Government of India.
Within (2), we can subdivide by our own roles in society.
2 a) What should our response be as Hindu and Indian NRIs?
2 b) What should our response be as Hindu and Indian technology professionals?
and so on..
Here are some of the response I came up with.
1) Donate more money to organizations that are willing and capable of providing a concrete response on the ground today
, to jehadi activities.
2) I resolve to not be afraid of expressing my opinions about Islamism and Jehad in public and I will clearly let anyone I interact with know where I stand and where they should stand in dealing with such issues.
3) To counter the growing numbers of muslims in India, I resolve to support dalit parents who want to have more children, but do not have the means to support them.
4) I resolve to earn as much money as I can to support my causes.
Perhaps folks can add more to this list, and also come up with specifics for different roles that we have in society.
Adding one objective rather than a response. Make media folks of leftist persuasion like burkha dutt, sardesai etc. pay for their perfidy. How to do so?