Bharat Rakshak

Consortium of Indian Defence Websites
It is currently 01 Nov 2014 17:11

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 01:24 
Forum Moderator

Not Received Confirmation Email
due to some problems with board SW many new members do not receive confirmation emails and consequently are unable to participate in the forum.
in case you do not receive confirmation email within 24 hours of registering please let us know the email and username you registered with and your account would be activated.
we can be reached at :
gentleman DAWT cadet YAT gmail DAWT com

I can see that there are a number of legit folk who registered over the past few months but couldn't activate their accounts. if you still want to, just shoot us an email.
Rahul.

Membership Referrals / Free Email Policy

Over the years, BRF's no free email policy has prevented a large number of people from becoming members. Even a few of the current crop of members were part of that unfortunate group in their early days.

While the policy has helped keep BRF saner than most places on the net, it has also prevented deserving people from becoming members.

To arrive at a balance between these two extremes it has been decided by the mods that people without a paid/office provided email can become BRF members if any existing BR member vouches for him/her.

The Procedure:
The referrer member should contact the Moderator Team about this by sending an email to gentleman.cadet [AT] gmail.com, specifying the new member's details (Desired Username, and a short intro as to how you know the new member, and the new members email id)

We will be monitoring the IPs and posting patterns of the new members so as to ensure that this process in not misused.

Consider this as a Christmas/New Years gift from the mods ! :)

Cheers !

P.S.
1) This announcement would be merged/removed in a few days once it is incorporated in the forum guidelines.
2) "offer is not extended to people previously shahid-ized. so no point in re-applying"

25 Jan 2009 Update: Purging of Recent Inactive Memberships
For New Members who registered in the last 24 days and did not make a single post

Your user account may have been purged in a recent clean up of spam accounts. Please re-register again.

Some of the accounts that have been deleted may be in this list
Quote:
rakeshbhamare,
ashvin,
pratikb,
shivarajan. B,
manishksingh,
PankajC,
vipinm,
ponanK,
rangaswamy,
NitinSuri,
kaustubha,
karthick,
edison,
Beyoncem,
Mahesh_Leo,
jabarchoudhary,
vikramrajpara,
prasadmpatil,
rakhi,
Srikanth_G,
nitin.lca,
manish
R.L.N.Rao,
macharla,
rameshbhola,
gokula.krishnan,
praveen_sathaye,
rahulsharma,
drsandeepjain,
gurbir,
PWRoy,
vishnuCK,
vishnu_ck,

If you cannot login or cannot post - please re-register again using the same information you have provided earlier.
Make atleast one post somewhere to prevent a similar purge in the future
_________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Rahul M on 26 Mar 2012 22:29, edited 3 times in total.
edited title of thread.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 01:43 
Webmaster BR

Remember - if the friend that you recommend gets a ban - you will get one too ;) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 01:56 
BRF Oldie

Jagan wrote:
Remember - if the friend that you recommend gets a ban - you will get one too ;) :mrgreen:

I appreciate this from the mods. I have been lurking for some time, not able to log in. I understand that anyone can fake ids on free emails and create nuisance.
I particluarly like the above one. :rotfl: :rotfl:
Thanks. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 02:03 
BRFite

quick question thgh. Is it possible to change my email address to a free one if i can get someone to vouch for me? Even though I really dont know anyone here.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 09:34 
BRF Oldie

One sawal onlee
Can I introduce myself for a second log in name?

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 11:19 
BRF Oldie

What if my office/paid email can no longer be used can i use an alternate ID?

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 11:56 
BRFite

dnivas wrote:
quick question thgh. Is it possible to change my email address to a free one if i can get someone to vouch for me? Even though I really dont know anyone here.

You speak for me too. Considering what has happened in IDF it would be unsafe and unwise on our part to have our ISP provided email IDs on the net.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 12:26 
Forum Moderator

prasanth and dnivas, what happened at IDF is purely poor management by their server managers.
it's unlikely ever to be repeated anywhere nor have I heard of anything like it before.

don't fret overmuch on this. your private info is safe.
also, you can simply use the hide email option from user control panel if you don't want people to see it.

pgbhat, now that you already are a member that hardly matters.

ajay, for you :
Quote:
We will be monitoring the IPs and posting patterns of the new members so as to ensure that this process in not misused.
:mrgreen:
of course but then we can also ban you ! equal-equal only !

regards guys.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 12:46 
BRFite

Wrong place, but right question:
What happened at IDF?

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008 12:52 
Forum Moderator

after the DDOS attack, their forum admin asked the server manager for the back-up DB.

server manager left a zip file of the DB above root level. :roll:
meaning it was publicly accessible. :x

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 08:32 
BRF Oldie

Location: You guys are just like family to me. Mostly Dysfunctional
Rahul-Al santa-clause,
I have my account based upon email provided by office. Can I move to free email with my current account ?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 09:23 
BRFite

Location: Is it ethical? No! Is it Pakistani? Yes! Pukaring all momins phrom the minar @ 440mhz.
Ditto what VikasRaina asked above.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 09:33 
Forum Moderator

VikasRaina wrote:
Rahul-Al santa-clause,
I have my account based upon email provided by office. Can I move to free email with my current account ?

Nope. You have already registered (ergo you can post here). Is this arising from concerns of data security?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 09:44 
Forum Moderator

vikas, not unless you want to lose either the current username or the posts. board SW won't allow it otherwise.
I request both you and baj to read my reply to dnivas.

@ people who want to shift from their official emails.

you can hide the email you registered with from options inside the user control panel.
that way ONLY mods will have access to it.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 10:24 
BRFite

Location: Is it ethical? No! Is it Pakistani? Yes! Pukaring all momins phrom the minar @ 440mhz.
Rishi wrote:
VikasRaina wrote:
Rahul-Al santa-clause,

Nope. You have already registered (ergo you can post here). Is this arising from concerns of data security?

Oh no the concern was more to do with job mobility (similar to pgbhat’s @ 25 Dec 2008 12:49 am), if I change my job I most likely will not have access to the email address I registered with. Whereas, gmail will remain with me for quite some time.

Rahul already answered that in response to pgbhat earlier and I am good with that answer. Thank you both for your responses.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 13:44 
BRFite

I think lurkers and BRF members with one year stay or 100 posts or members who have physically met admins at BR meets should be allowed to have any email address which they desire.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 14:14 
Forum Moderator

board SW won't allow it.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2008 23:11 
BRF Oldie

Location: You guys are just like family to me. Mostly Dysfunctional
Got it. Thanx.

Quote:
Is this arising from concerns of data security

Rishi it is more to do with the fact that I no longer work for the company whose Email id I used to register here.
I think Rahul & yourself have explained it well.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008 19:54 
BRF Oldie

If you can't change the e-mail address, then what is the purpose of giving that provision in the user CP? Profile->Edit Account settings gives you the option to change the id.

I am sure the admin loge could do that too. I don't dare to try it and lock myself out.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008 22:05 
Forum Moderator

dileep saar, of course it allows you to change your email ID BUT only to a non-blocked domain !
and no, no one can change emails to free ones not even mods. :wink:
(ask me ! tried changing to gmail !)

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008 02:16 
BRFite

Rahul M wrote:
dileep saar, of course it allows you to change your email ID BUT only to a non-blocked domain !
and no, no one can change emails to free ones not even mods. :wink:
(ask me ! tried changing to gmail !)

Rahul, Obviously there is a trick of the trade that has not been passed on to you.
In 2004, Arun_S, sastry and other mods were kind enough to make this deviation as a special case.
Where are these noble gentlemen?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008 02:25 
Forum Moderator

aditya, that's with the old SW. the new one doesn't allow it.
trust it when a mod says these things, chances are he knows what he is saying. :wink:

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008 08:47 
BRF Oldie

Rahul, then how do you allow it for a NEW account?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008 09:49 
Forum Moderator

"you are now asking questions that should not be asked !" :eek: let's just say that's a secret. :)

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008 18:21 
BRF Oldie

OK. Then you will have to retract your statement that the "forum software" doesn't allow it. If you can have it for new ids, you can have it for old ids too. So, it is not the forum software, but the forum overlords who doesn't allow it.

Anyway, I know when to shut up, so being.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008 18:27 
Forum Moderator

no saarji, you are wrong on both counts ! :)
btw, you have a new message in your PM inbox.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008 08:32 
BRFite

Guys the whole purpose of this thread was to get new members without loosing screening. The discussion here has moved towards how to reduce screening for existing memberes which is not the objective.

These personal issues like e-mail change needed due to job change can be taken with mods on individual levels. I did that couple of time with little problems.

I thinks mods should not allow free e-mail registration for anyone

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008 19:18 
BRF Oldie

Location: Higher council for promotion of anti jinx and prevention of vice
VikasRaina wrote:
Got it. Thanx.

Quote:
Is this arising from concerns of data security

Rishi it is more to do with the fact that I no longer work for the company whose Email id I used to register here.
I think Rahul & yourself have explained it well.

This is a genuine concern for me as well because somebody else must be checking my old official email ID which I used to register.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008 19:21 
Forum Moderator

dilbu, yours is a special case. please put an alternative ID in the signature of your profile and explicitly forbid people to email to the official one.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008 20:44 
BRFite -Trainee

Rahul,
My bro and I share the same network connection. Is he allowed to make an account ,using similar IP address., But with his own e-mail address.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009 04:22 
BRF Oldie

Since Rahul asked for opinions on this:

I don't see anything wrong with that. There are many cases where the IP may look the same, for multiple users (like a university computer lab cluster where the entire cluster goes through a single router box / firewall).

EXCEPT that if our 4SPDA system detects cases where the different users are in fact the same user in multiple avatars, the IP may end up being banned.

IOW, those who take advantage of this to create multiple IDs risk having all IDs banned.

AFAIK, this "paid email onlee" system is set up to ensure that there is traceable responsibility for what a user does. The ban on multiple avatars is a particular forum policy. In the case presented above, the traceability is there.

JMT.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009 01:57 
BRFite -Trainee

Mods,

Have you guys considered moving to vBulletin? VB has a pretty robust Admin management system. Plus there are a whole lot of other features that can be explored: Blogs, Picture Libraries, Personal Messages, etc.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009 16:23 
BRFite -Trainee

I dont know if this is the right place to put forward my problem. Admin please consider my request. I am able to login and view BR site from my office network but same is not possible from my home using broadband. Earlier everything was opening but from 2 weeks back the Forum site stopped opening and from last week even the BR site stopped opening.
There is no problem with any other sites but only with BR and BR forum. Can anyone provide with me any solution or reason for this behaviour.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009 16:35 
Forum Moderator

neelvick, please ask your brother to get in touch through the email quoted in the first post.

yogi, clearly wrong thread. use site suggestion thread.(anyway moi ignoramus onlee about vbulletin/enfield bullet so it doesn't matter)

panky, please see webmaster's post in the last few of site suggestion thread.

thanks everyone. :)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2009 22:07 
BRFite

panky wrote:
I dont know if this is the right place to put forward my problem. Admin please consider my request. I am able to login and view BR site from my office network but same is not possible from my home using broadband. Earlier everything was opening but from 2 weeks back the Forum site stopped opening and from last week even the BR site stopped opening.
There is no problem with any other sites but only with BR and BR forum. Can anyone provide with me any solution or reason for this behaviour.

May be there is a parental lock against BR at your place. :rotfl:

On a serious note, please check if BR is included for lock on your home web browser, by mistake. Else contact your service provider.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009 01:26 
Webmaster BR

Attention - New Members who registered in the last 24 days and did not make a single post

Your user account may have been purged in a recent clean up of spam accounts. Please re-register again.

Some of the accounts that have been deleted may be in this list
Quote:
rakeshbhamare,
ashvin,
pratikb,
shivarajan. B,
manishksingh,
PankajC,
vipinm,
ponanK,
rangaswamy,
NitinSuri,
kaustubha,
karthick,
edison,
Beyoncem,
Mahesh_Leo,
jabarchoudhary,
vikramrajpara,
prasadmpatil,
rakhi,
Srikanth_G,
nitin.lca,
manish
R.L.N.Rao,
macharla,
rameshbhola,
gokula.krishnan,
praveen_sathaye,
rahulsharma,
drsandeepjain,
gurbir,
PWRoy,
vishnuCK,
vishnu_ck,

If you cannot login or cannot post - please re-register again using the same information you have provided earlier.
Make atleast one post somewhere to prevent a similar purge in the future

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009 05:32 
BRFite

THIS IS NOT THE INTENDED LAST POST. Please read Jagan's post.

Mods,
Can I get my username changed to "Nikhil T"? Its much better to not have an underscore to make it more readable. Thanks.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009 21:57 
BRFite -Trainee

i m new in this forum what i want to know is how posters are banned and did they given any warning :?:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009 22:07 
Forum Moderator

anand, posters are usually requested to self moderate themselves when they go out of line (like attacking other posters/communities based on race/religion etc or derailment of thread, i.e going off topic repeatedly)

official warnings are comparatively rare and issued only when a poster shows marked reluctance to comply with requests.
and the ban prcedure goes something like this :
3 official warnings in a 6 month period --> 1 month ban
+1 ---do--- --> 3 month ban
+1 ---do--- --> permanent ban.

all warnings become ineffective after 6 months.

p.s. this is not the intended last post. read JAGAN's post.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009 22:09 
BRFite -Trainee

Rahul M wrote:
anand, posters are usually requested to self moderate themselves when they go out of line (like attacking other posters/communities based on race/religion etc or derailment of thread, i.e going off topic repeatedly)

official warnings are comparatively rare and issued only when a poster shows marked reluctance to comply with requests.
and the ban prcedure goes something like this :
3 official warnings in a 6 month period --> 1 month ban
+1 ---do--- --> 3 month ban
+1 ---do--- --> permanent ban.

all warnings become ineffective after 6 months.

p.s. this is not the intended last post. read JAGAN's post.

is it that permanent ban also neutralizes and poster can post again after 6 months?? :?: :?:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next