BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Post by Nayak »

Ye ever powerful admins,

Please listen to this heartfelt plea from this humble mujahid...

Can you please merge the Cheeni Gareeb kona and BJ-Kutty's threads started by comrade Loo Bega ?
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

I have a suggestion.
Is it possible to disallow creating a new thread till the poster has reached say 10 posts? That way posters would know how to post replies instead of creating new thread and would persuade new users to find appropriate threads?
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

Jallad Moderators,

Given important events happening in the southern, eastern and western borders, is it possible to start a singular thread:

"Bangladesh, Srilanka, Pakistan News"

Mostly news items, and not necessarily discussion.

Onlee a suggestion.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

skher in "flight safety" forum is making
Insensitive wildass comments (seems to
Be a paki) please euthanize him quickly.
SRay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SRay »

A little gift for BR folk:

For those people who are tired of clicking 'next' to page through BR forums and topics, consider installing AutoPager - a firefox add-in that automatically loads the next page when you get to the bottom of a current page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4925

It works on most popular blogs and discussion forums. I've added a setting so that it works on BR pages as well. If you have comments, please post here.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Kobe Start a news thread called that and see if it matures.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

ramana wrote:Kobe Start a news thread called that and see if it matures.
thank you saar.
namit k
BRFite

Post by namit k »

dear Admins/mods
can you change the forum software to display the countries from where the members post or were registered, i think there are some puki members also posting here and extracting information by some means
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

namit k wrote:dear Admins/mods
can you change the forum software to display the countries from where the members post or were registered, i think there are some puki members also posting here and extracting information by some means
I second that..and also, would it be possible to block non-registered users from accessing the Military threads? I've read on a few Pak deaf and dumb fora that their members routinely sift through our discussions, something BRF could do without.
sombhat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sombhat »

Kartik wrote:
namit k wrote:dear Admins/mods
I second that..and also, would it be possible to block non-registered users from accessing the Military threads? I've read on a few Pak deaf and dumb fora that their members routinely sift through our discussions, something BRF could do without.
Oh no, please dont do that. This will reduce the detergent budget in Pakistani homes, where the wimmen will no more need to remove piss and yellow stains from the Birather's pajamas. Also, if there is a backlash (i.e. Indians are barred from deaf & dumb), we will loose some much needed comic relief in these economically difficult times.
sombhat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sombhat »

Admins,

I dont know if this has been suggested before, but try changing the image button from "new post" to "new thread". There is no point in having a button named "new post", when it actually opens a new thread.

Thanks.
kumar_k
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kumar_k »

shiv wrote: Not an issue - but I was surprised to find people on the forum think that they were not supposed to start or renew threads.

Most of these people are newer members who do not know the history behind this. The idea of changing the thread when it reached 340 posts was yours because any thread changes to page 10 after 340 posts.

One of the things that I wanted to experiment with (for continuity) was to wait for the thread to reach 339 posts or even page 10 and then split off the last page or half page as the new thread. The old thread then automatically goes to the trashcan where people can look for it - while the new thread has half a page of posts that serve as continuity. This reduces the break in continuity that occurs when threads are changed. It also reduces admin workload because you don't have to find the url of the last page in the trashcan archive and put it on the first page of the new thread you have created.

One often finds that threads with an animated discussion suddenly goes dead when it is renewed. That can be prevented by allowing it to reach 335 plus posts (well into page 9, or even early page 10) and then splitting off the bottom 5-10 posts as the new thread.

But only admins can do that. That of course does not mean that members should not start a new thread which they can if it has not received due admin attention.
I have bitter memories, with this thing.
They had also temporarily banned me.(Thinking that i was a troller, they issued a permanent ban) :oops:

I thought i was gone for good, but on the very next day the ban was relieved.Possibly due to someone,s godly interventions i do not know about.)
kumar_k
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kumar_k »

Dear Admins.

Did it not come to your attention, that the content on our beloved site is really really outdated? (Not the Forums)
It's high time we started updating them. :?:

A wiki is not a bad idea.

Just a suggestion.
But, are u thinking about easing up the process of digging lost treasures from the trashcan/archives?? :?:
namit k
BRFite

Post by namit k »

Dear BRF Mods/Admins..
we have here three sub-forums under BRF namely
1) Military Isuues & History forum
2) Stratetegic Issues and International relations forum ,&
3)Technology&Economic Forum

but so much is written on pathetic pakistan in all sub-forums that it constitutes :
27 threads in Stratetegic Issues and Internationalrelations forum and
8 threads under Military Isuues & History forum( total 33+)
which have direct pakistan/bakistan/etc names on them and there are many more like terror strikes on mumbai etc which also have bakistani content in them or relate to pakistan
i propose that there should be separate sub-forum on pathetic pakistan such that all pathetic data and porki related discussions are kept kept in that 4th sub forum, so that nowhere in BRF there is porki shit discussed except that corner, so that real gyan(good information) may be separated from shit(porki involved discussions)
i m sure topics and discussions would appear more precise and concrete in other topics,threads,subforums rather than having a porki discussion in between a good discussion
so the new layout of board index would look like

1) Military Isuues & History forum
2) Stratetegic Issues and International relations forum ,&
3)Technology&Economic Forum
4)pakistan related discussons
(*in any order )
sombhat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sombhat »

Does BR Mods/ Admins have any control over Anveshan.com. They are yet to deliver an order I placed on 5th March. The site says it delivers in 2-5 business days while placing an order. Also, not replying to emails. Did my money go down the drain??

Thanks
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

some pictures missing in the Marut page
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... arut1.html
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

sombhat wrote:Does BR Mods/ Admins have any control over Anveshan.com. They are yet to deliver an order I placed on 5th March. The site says it delivers in 2-5 business days while placing an order. Also, not replying to emails. Did my money go down the drain??

Thanks
Dont worry about the money, it is safe - we can vouch for it.

they may take a bit of a delay. I will nudge kapil on your behalf.

regards

Jagan
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Hiten wrote:some pictures missing in the Marut page
That is yindoo indi-genius stealth technology! :lol:
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Should have a unified registration/login for BR site and BRF

seperate registration for site and forum is pretty inconvinient
AdityaM wrote:
Hiten wrote:some pictures missing in the Marut page
That is yindoo indi-genius stealth technology! :lol:
nice :D
ChandraS

Post by ChandraS »

Admins/Mods,

Would it be acceptable to start a new thread in the T&E forum for discussions on Indian epics and other texts? There was a good discussion going on about Ramayan & Mahabharat on the Nukkad till the ragging fever took over. There are quite a few people here who are knowledgeable and articulate enough to explain the finer points and ignorants (especially me) can immensely benefit from their posts. I have seen these discussions happen before too and the lack of a dedicated thread makes it harder to archive them for future reference. I understand that religion or any discussion with overt religious overtones is verboten on BRF and such discussions can get pretty emotional and charged very soon, in addition to increasing moderator workload due to a new thread. To that end, I can help police the new thread and ensure that discussion doesn't get out of hand and is kept relatively peaceful. I also propose that any poster getting a warning in this new thread get an additional one (for free! BRF can have a sale - ek warning pe ek free :D ). This should deter potential disruptions as two such transgressions (= four warnings) will mean a three month (or is it six?) ban. I will start this thread once I get your green signal or else it might be an IB4TL opportunity!!
KrishnaMu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by KrishnaMu »

I am long time lurker, as you can see from my post counts not much contributed. Anywho, in BR there is strange thing it is not going anywhere

Why this "Sir" attribute?? addressing the fellow sr posters or posters??
I feel its draconian. Am i the only one ???
Srivastav
BRFite

Post by Srivastav »

KrishnaMu wrote:I am long time lurker, as you can see from my post counts not much contributed. Anywho, in BR there is strange thing it is not going anywhere

Sir, please explain to me how its draconian ?

Btw a lot of times saar is used both as a term of endearment and respect. Also I dont know bout others but i was taught never to take my elders name without adding sir or such. Now i know for a fact that Arun_s, Shiv, Dileep etc are my elders so i use sir(not always though). where as i know nayak, andy b, anish, raja bose etc are closer to me age therefore sometimes i use sahab(another term or endearment) or something else.

Although, I joined the forums recently, ive been accessing BR since i was 18 or so and almost all the defense related knowledge i gained was through BRF and thus i consider a lot of people here as my gurus(another term of endearment or respect.)

One person iam not sure about is Rahul_M, sometimes i think he is closer to my age but then there are times i think differently.

Also it doesnt only depend on age but stature in life, for eg talking to a retired defense personal, teacher, professor etc
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

KrishnaMu wrote:I am long time lurker, as you can see from my post counts not much contributed. Anywho, in BR there is strange thing it is not going anywhere

Krishna,
It would be draconian if they insist on it and nowhere in BR have I seen those people asking for it. Sir for most of us is a simple translation into english of "ji" in hindi or "garu" in telugu.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

ChandraS, sure, go ahead. Please start-off with a solid first post explaining the spirit and intent of the thread.
ChandraS

Post by ChandraS »

JaiS & Jagan,

Thanks for the green light. I have already written up my first post but will let it stew till tomorrow morning and then post after reviewing it again!
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

sir,
but of course, the usage of sir, is a courtesy. i am unaware of the age or experience of most of the users, except for the assumptions i can deduct from the messages posted. so using, "sir" is in good form . should'nt we all be courteous to each other!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

In the Indian sense "Sir" is mere courtesy - especially for formal acquaintances and colleagues (as opposed to casual, close friends), not fawning. For example one may greet a friend and say "Yenu saar" in Kannada or "Yanna saar" in Tamil. "Ji" is the Hindi equivalent.

It is our anglophone confusion and the need to switch between Indian formality and Western formality that makes us desire to set one standard. I do not object to sir or ji because they are both very Indian.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

I use it because i have seen the expertise people here have on different diverse subjects.

Hence all my liberal "sir/saar" usage for Dr. Shiv, Arun_S, Raja Bose, Dileep and countless many more to show my respect to them gurus.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

You can also say, "You are a bloody fool, sir"! as I have heard being said by a Sir (Knight), who was a General of the British Army visiting India on a whirlwind tour to understand counter insurgency. He said it to his ADC!

Actually, it matters not.

For instance, my troops who were Maharastrians, while speaking used the tum instead of Aap, without meaning any disrepect! North Indian officers wondered if there is Aap in Marathi!

I remember a Bengali getting wild that the Punjabis used 'Tussi' and not Aap!
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

Just wanted to put in a word for Vadivelu. He is a new poster and should be given leeway. Previous members who may have been aggravated by his comments should show restraint especially when we're just tossing around the ideas. This is the Internet after all. How can we make progress without those who push the boundaries of what is acceptable and what is not?
kumar_k
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kumar_k »

Just Checked Bharat-Rakshak's Stats:

Stats:
Networth: 10,245 USD
Daily Ad-Revenue Potential: 2.23 USD
Global Traffic Rank: 161,698
Unique Visits per month: 6490
Total Visits per month: 16,464

Top Keywords Driving Traffic:

bharat rakshak 10.62%
russian frigate krivak 8.99%
jadunath singh 5.95%
garud 5.86%
delhi class destroyer 4.67%

Just wanted to share it. :D

Source: searchanalytics.compete.com
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Maz / Rakesh,

A lot needs fixing.

Please see my post here.
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

Congratulations on partnering with "Indipepal" for information on the Indian space program.

On further investigation, its much more. Its a defence website and a news source about politics, NGO's and military history.

Good stuff.
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

a wish onlee,

certain threads (not necessarily all) are about more serious issue or more specific issue.
(For example Kaveri Thread). Would it be asking too much if such highly focused threads be marked as so and probably more tightly controlled for content so as to maximize the bandwidth usage? often times the heading of the forum invites a certain readership and what one sees is two or three forumites making a fool of themselves and driving the credibility of the thread south ward.

more specifically, certain threads need to have strict technical guidelines where intelligent questions should be allowed but uneducated wild guess and rumor mongering should be strictly curtailed. solution: a couple of heads rolling will work like magic.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

arun wrote:Maz / Rakesh,

A lot needs fixing.

Please see my post here.
Rakesh,

Thanks for clearing that up. Look forward to the issue being resolved in the future.

Meanwhile more for you to do ..................

Please See My Post Here.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

With the posters & scenarios increasing on "Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII", i would suggest that each scenario be moved into its own thread.
Otherwise the thread is becoming too cluttered.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

^^ I second it. Three scenario's are becoming too complicated to handle.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Admin/Mods,

Can you guys disable the feature, of not being able to edit a post after a certain interval. I mean how many disputes have arisen in all these months regarding a members "controversial" post. With a high volume of readership atleast some can bear witness/or could quote the post.. if need be.
Vs.
The pain to sift & click through all the pages, while searching for relevant info to the users, instead the thread starters can collate all the information as the first post on the thread..

Thanks....
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

RayC wrote:You can also say, "You are a bloody fool, sir"! as I have heard being said by a Sir (Knight), who was a General of the British Army visiting India on a whirlwind tour to understand counter insurgency. He said it to his ADC!

Actually, it matters not.

For instance, my troops who were Maharastrians, while speaking used the tum instead of Aap, without meaning any disrepect! North Indian officers wondered if there is Aap in Marathi!

I remember a Bengali getting wild that the Punjabis used 'Tussi' and not Aap!
in marathi, we refer to our elders as "tumi" instead of "tu"..the difference is in the way the sentence would be framed..to someone younger or your age, you'd ask "tu kasa aahes?" (How are you?)but to an older person, you'd say "tumi kasa aahenth?". but because there is no such word as "tumi" in hindi, those who're not exposed to North Indian hindi, just say "tum".
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

What is Humor Thread doing in Military forum?