Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Re: Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

Post by derkonig »

Baljeet wrote:We can find better economists in this nation dime a dozen but we can't find one fighter, strategist, tactician, geo-politik master in this nation.
The answer you seek is
Advani
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Derkoning
No, I am not seeking that answer. Advani is no different than MMS in age, senility, lack of lucidity. He was HM at the time and made loud proclaimation, "If I can't protect you then I don't have right to rule you" IIRC he said that after sopore incidence before Prez BJ came to India.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

derkonig wrote:
Baljeet wrote:We can find better economists in this nation dime a dozen but we can't find one fighter, strategist, tactician, geo-politik master in this nation.
The answer you seek is
Advani
Derkoning ... please ... the fighter, strategist, tactician & geo-politik master in Advani seems to have disappeared (if there ever was one) . now the only thing left is a man who is still unable to come to grips with the reality that he lost ...
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

g.kacha wrote:Derkoning ... please ... the fighter, strategist, tactician & geo-politik master in Advani seems to have disappeared (if there ever was one) . now the only thing left is a man who is still unable to come to grips with the reality that he lost ...
That is precisely what the dhimmedia will want the people to believe so that they can do some == with arch-dhimmi MMS. Advani was right in calling MMS the weakest PM. Its a shame Advani was always dealt a tough set of cards.
abhiti
BRFite

Post by abhiti »

Good news for the supporters of Congress - MMS has again begun his contradictory statements on Pakistan. It always happens to MMS just before a visit of someone from US govt. I am now worried about MMS dealing with not just Pak but also US! MMS is indeed a weakest PM.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Comrades lets keep criticism focused and factual , BJP vs INC and MMS vs Advani will only give mods an excuse to lock this thread.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Pakistan's queries on Mumbai attack an 'endless exercise': Chidambaram
Chidambaram said the material that the Indian government has given was enough to secure conviction of the accused in Pakistan's courts.

"It is a very sad commentary on the legal skills of the prosecutors in Pakistan. The material given is enough for any court of law to convict the accused," he said adding of course that some supplementary investigation has to be done in Pakistan.
Chidambaram said no non-state actor can launch terror attack of this scale and magnitude on India without the support of the establishment. "It is for Pakistan to act against these elements," he said.

The Home Minister said the Laskar-e-Taiba is a "big threat to India and it is something that I would like the Pakistan government and the establishment to prove the contrary if it is not true".

He said he was entitle to assume that these elements enjoyed the tactic support of the state agencies. "The contrary must be proved," he said.

Chidambaram said that it was regrettable that Pakistan was still talking about investigation and the trial has not even started whereas in India the trial was progressing fast.
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

The trivialisation of 26/11 K P S Gill - June 22, 2009
The gravest risk of the trivialisation of 26/11 (is) the trivialisation of the enveloping threats that confront India. In India, however, we continue to quibble over the incremental augmentation of forces and capacities to no more than 'counter' the 'next 26/11'. The war against terrorism is a long war. But we remain abysmally unprepared.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

26/11: Pak files chargesheet against 5 accused
Pakistan on Saturday filed chargesheet against the five accused in the Mumbai attacks investigation.

The chargesheet was filed in the anti-terrorism court in Adiala and the hearing was adjourned till July 25.

The chargesheet was filed against the five accused - Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, Ammad Amin and Zarar Shah are among the accused.

The Pakistan foreign office has said that India should not doubt their commitment to the 26/11 case and that there will be no delay from Pakistan's side.

MMS can now claim this dog and pony show as great victory and cover up the solied shalwar of sham-el-shaikh.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Dilbu wrote:26/11: Pak files chargesheet against 5 accused
Pakistan on Saturday filed chargesheet against the five accused in the Mumbai attacks investigation.
So, is this what Hillary was saying that there would be some movement by Pakistan in the next few days ? This is hardly a movement. The ATC judge had retired and Pakistan deliberately delayed appointing a replacement and was probably waiting to see how it went at the NAM meet. Joyous at the resumption of dialogue, Pakistan has taken the well calibrated next minimalist step.

Pakistan should not be allowed to take credit for taking any action unless and until the five are hanged. Pakistan frequently hangs people, has no qualms about it, and has one of the highest rates of legally sanctioned execution in the world.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

I strongly recommend that members remember that this is Bharat Rakshak forum, not Congress Rakshak or BJP Rakshak.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

‘ The men behind 26/11 ’
In the backdrop to the resolve shown by India this week not to brook further nonsense from Pakistan, Saturday Special presents excerpts from a new book on 26/11 which names names
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Dilbu wrote:26/11: Pak files chargesheet against 5 accused

MMS can now claim this dog and pony show as great victory and cover up the solied shalwar of sham-el-shaikh.
abhiti wrote:Good news for the supporters of Congress - MMS has again begun his contradictory statements on Pakistan. It always happens to MMS just before a visit of someone from US govt. I am now worried about MMS dealing with not just Pak but also US! MMS is indeed a weakest PM.
A small suggestion, if someone wants to make this a Congress o BJP issue and do Advani/MMS bashing, can they please take it to the Sharm-el-Sheikh thread?

Lets leave this thread as the title suggests to posting factual articles regarding Mumbai blasts.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Kasab pleads guilty in court
In a startling move, Mumbai attacks' accused on Monday pleaded guilty of his charges in the court during the trial, TV reports say.

Kasab for the first time narrated to the court the entire plot behind the Mumbai terror attacks, Times Now says
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

All 26/11 involved must be hanged: Maharashtra CM

We can now reasonably expect 'human rights activists' to kick up protests.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

It is a foregone conclusion that he will be sentenced to death now.

the real question is using the Lahori logic expressed by A.K. Anthony wrt Afzal, how long does it take to hang Kasab. My prediction is he will never hang, and will be exchanged when a future terrorist atrocity results in a demand for his release.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Tanaji,

This one will be interesting to see. Honestly, so much media and public pressure will build up if they delay Kasab's hanging and then if they hang him out of turn; the chorus will go against the govt. why not hang Afzal Guru ?

INC will soon be in a catch 22 situation.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Sumeet, GoI will say that Kasab, being a foreign national, the procedure will be simpler.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

http://news.rediff.com/slide-show/2009/ ... kistan.htm

More details on the trial conduct. Stay tuned for the next installment.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Tanaji wrote:It is a foregone conclusion that he will be sentenced to death now.

the real question is using the Lahori logic expressed by A.K. Anthony wrt Afzal, how long does it take to hang Kasab. My prediction is he will never hang, and will be exchanged when a future terrorist atrocity results in a demand for his release.
Wasnt it Shivraj Patil and not AK Antony who displayed lahori logic vis-a-vis Afzal ? IMHO AKA seems to be the sensible one. Or did they both display Lahori logic ?
tripathi
BRFite

Post by tripathi »

kasab's confession will be used to frame 5 accused in pak against whom govt says there is not sufficient evidence.coz kasab only named those guys who were already caught in pak.he didnt name the col. and general who were directing them on phone.again pak court throw out the case saying confession made in indian courts r not valid so kasab has to be produced in pak court to give confession if not then this case will go to ICJ.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

SSridhar wrote:Sumeet, GoI will say that Kasab, being a foreign national, the procedure will be simpler.
Has the Republic of India ever hung a foreign national in the past? Would be interesting to know. I would assume that there are quite a few legal procedures that are undertaken before a person is hanged and I would bet that these implicitly assume that the person being hung is Indian. Would be interesting to see how much the human rights types can delay the hanging by raising all sorts of objections to the procedure.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Anujan wrote:
Tanaji wrote:It is a foregone conclusion that he will be sentenced to death now.

Wasnt it Shivraj Patil and not AK Antony who displayed lahori logic vis-a-vis Afzal ? IMHO AKA seems to be the sensible one. Or did they both display Lahori logic ?
No I remember it was AK Anthony in some television interview. He kept saying that there are certain "things" to be followed before they can hang Afzal but refused to say what they were.

Added later:

Sorry , SSridhar is right, it was Verappa Moily. My bad, apologies to Mr. Anthony.
Last edited by Tanaji on 20 Jul 2009 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

SSridhar wrote:Kasab pleads guilty in court
In a startling move, Mumbai attacks' accused on Monday pleaded guilty of his charges in the court during the trial, TV reports say.

Kasab for the first time narrated to the court the entire plot behind the Mumbai terror attacks, Times Now says
:rotfl: :rotfl: Kasab also got tired with our super fast process involving reams and reams of paper, poor guy asked for reham
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tanaji wrote:No I remember it was AK Anthony in some television interview. He kept saying that there are certain "things" to be followed before they can hang Afzal but refused to say what they were.
It was by Veerappa Moily
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Anujan wrote:Wasnt it Shivraj Patil and not AK Antony who displayed lahori logic vis-a-vis Afzal ? IMHO AKA seems to be the sensible one. Or did they both display Lahori logic ?
I am getting a feeling that every single politician (read Home Min, Prime Min and even President) have some hesitation in giving the final "Go" for hanging a criminal/terrorist. I don't know if it is some sort of guilty feeling/pangs which makes them skip taking the final decision. Reminds me of the practise of the erst-while Travancore kings. During the days of Travancore kingdoms, the executions (by hanging) was done at a place Kazhuvinthitta (IIRC it is near the present day Tamil Nadu border). The date and time of the hanging would be fixed. One hour before the execution, the king would give a formal reprieve for the condemned. A special messenger would start off (on horse back) to the execution grounds. But he would not be able to reach within one hour, and by the time the reprieve order reaches, the execution would have been completed. It seems this was a way the Travancore kings absolved themselves of the guilty feeling (I tried to save him at the last moment, but the messenger could not reach in time - that was the logic) ;).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

suryag wrote: quote="SSridhar" Kasab pleads guilty in court

:rotfl: :rotfl: Kasab also got tired with our super fast process involving reams and reams of paper, poor guy asked for reham

Kasab seems to be having some source of reliable and up to date day to day information about goings on in porkiland.

This in itself is a bit alarming because he has been held incommunicado and in solitary confinement in a specially built high security facility by the Bombay police and is only allowed to speak in court. I think that his request for newspapers was turned down earlier.

Instructions somehow seem to have been passed to him and he has been tutored to confess or react in a particular manner. In all his confessions he has never said "I killed someone". He has placed himself at many scenes but always in a bystander like position, always with others participating in the mayhem.

He says I am guilty but never specifies exactly what it is that he is guilty of.

Seems like he is firmly under some porki control and is under hard hold.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

‘Mujhe gunah kabool hai’
<snip>

I wanted to confess much earlier but could not do so as Pakistan had disowned me. Now Pakistan is saying that I am a Pakistani.

They are also going to prosecute the offenders. Don’t ask me how I know all this. I just do. You should accept my confession and punish me.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Kasab’s confession has no credibility: Mukhtar
The minister termed it inappropriate to take action against those named by Kasab and based in Pakistan saying that one cannot crack down on groups on the basis of confessions by a person behind bars.
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

Sachin wrote: I am getting a feeling that every single politician (read Home Min, Prime Min and even President) have some hesitation in giving the final "Go" for hanging a criminal/terrorist. I don't know if it is some sort of guilty feeling/pangs which makes them skip taking the final decision. Reminds me of the practise of the erst-while Travancore kings. During the days of Travancore kingdoms, the executions (by hanging) was done at a place Kazhuvinthitta (IIRC it is near the present day Tamil Nadu border). The date and time of the hanging would be fixed. One hour before the execution, the king would give a formal reprieve for the condemned. A special messenger would start off (on horse back) to the execution grounds. But he would not be able to reach within one hour, and by the time the reprieve order reaches, the execution would have been completed. It seems this was a way the Travancore kings absolved themselves of the guilty feeling (I tried to save him at the last moment, but the messenger could not reach in time - that was the logic) ;).
No, no sir. That's extending lot of nobility and good at heart kind of hijab on many undeserving personalities. For most part, the occupiers of these high posts have feet made of clay. They are as wily politicians as any can be, although better at putting a facade of innocence and ignorance.
They are true barometers of how much they believe in the safety and security of common man. Meaning, they do not have confidence in the safety of themselves and their kith and kin once the hijab of Z-category is removed. Hence, they chicken out in giving the final GO to convicted terrorists too. They know once they are out of power their safety and security lies on the good will of the criminals.
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

g.kacha wrote:‘Mujhe gunah kabool hai’
<snip>

I wanted to confess much earlier but could not do so as Pakistan had disowned me. Now Pakistan is saying that I am a Pakistani.

They are also going to prosecute the offenders. Don’t ask me how I know all this. I just do. You should accept my confession and punish me.
'Since Pak has accepted my nationality, I confessed, says Kasab'

Judge: "Aaj achanak aapne kyun confess kiya? Jab pehle charges frame hue toh tab kyun nahi kiya? (Why are yousuddenly confessing? Why did you not confess when the chargeswere framed earlier?)"

Kasab: "Pehle Pakistan ne yeh nahi mana tha ki main unka hoon. Aaj maan liya hai. Isiliye main bayan de raha hoon.(Initially, Pakistan had not accepted my nationality. Now thatthey have, I am confessing)"

Judge: "Aapko kaise pata chala ki Pakistan ne maan liya hai? (How do you know that Pakistan has admitted?)"

Kasab: "Bas mujhe pata chala. Maine suna ki Pakistan ne kaha ki Kasab yahan ka hai. (I just came to know. I heard that Pakistan has said that Kasab is from there.)"

Judge: "Kya tum kisi tarah ke dabav main ho bayan dene ke liye. (Are you under some pressure to confess?)"

Kasab: "Nahi. (No.)"

How this "Pata chala" happening. Except his lawyer others must be from police/intel setup. Then how come he is getting all info. Is this some deliberate effort from our side, or we have some mole there.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The court has 3 options now
Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi appearing for Kasab on Tuesday said the special court conducting the 26/11 trial has three options following the Pakistani pleading guilty and confessing to his crime on Monday.

"The first option is for the court to accept Kasab's plea and convict him. The second option is for the court to not accept the confession and the third is for the court to accept the confession, but direct for the trial to go on," Mr. Nikam told reporters here on Tuesday.

"If the court goes with the third option, then the prosecution will have to provide evidence to back Kasab's confession," Mr. Kazmi said.

He also said the prosecution should investigate the role of an Indian named Abu Jindal in the terror conspiracy as revealed by Kasab in his confession.

Mr. Nikam, however, said Kasab is a great actor and is naming new persons each time. "He is well trained and well prepared.

The police will minutely evaluate every detail of his statement," he said.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

Not sure if this documentary has been linked to over here:

http://vimeo.com/5409826
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think he is trained psychologically to be fool his investigators after capture. He will make a mockery of the Indian judicial system.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Mystery minister told Kasab to confess - Police point to secret jail chat
Mumbai, July 21: A day after Ajmal Kasab’s admission of guilt, authorities who have doggedly stitched together a case against the 26/11 gunman said the statement may have been the result of a gradual build-up aided by those in power.

Top sources in Mumbai police claimed Kasab’s confession could be the fallout of a secret meeting between him and a Maharashtra minister in Arthur Road Jail.

“The meeting was organised after instructions from higher authorities. Kasab was not told that the person was a minister. The minister met Kasab before the trial started even as the government was running from pillar to post to get him a lawyer. He was told that fighting the case would take him nowhere given the amount of evidence against him,” said a top Mumbai police officer who did not wish to be named.
Kasab’s lawyer Abbas Kazmi hinted at a conspiracy. “My client is being pressurised and harassed in jail. Even the judge has accepted that he has been given the information about Pakistan owning him up by his guards in the jail,” said Kazmi.

Nikam insisted it was legally okay if Kasab had indeed been informed of Pakistan’s decision. “There is nothing wrong in it (supplying information). If he decides to give such a statement and admit guilt on that basis, it is his choice,” he said.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Is lawyer Kazmi's contention that Kasab should be kept in the dark about his country's decisions about him?
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

BhairavP wrote:Not sure if this documentary has been linked to over here:

http://vimeo.com/5409826
Finished watching it. Quite chilling.. check out the video footage of Taj and the Oberoi, and the discussions between the terrorists and their handlers in Pukiland. Chaste midland Punjabi, interspersed with Urdu.