India in South East Asia

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Re: India in South East Asia

Post by svinayak »

RayC wrote:The basic issue of India’s interest in SE would be, apart from cultural and economic reasons, the need to check the threat of China.

While the threat from China from the land is well taken care of, it is the sea that is freewheeling and it is here that China can jeopardise India’s national security interests.

One has to realise that there is a fine difference between Doctrine and Strategy.
RayC Sir,
This is a great post. Fantastic.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Thank you. Also Suresh.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Source: http://www.geocities.com/nicchg/stilwel ... ellroadmap

The write-up is about Stilwell Road.

brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RayC wrote
It is important to not be myopic.
One should not look merely as SE Asia, but the Indian Ocean Rim or Region.
That is where the action is!
Many thanks to RayC for his detailed analysis. Actually, in the "strategic scenario" thread, IO itself was the basis of analysis. But because of the relative lack of apparent and immediate military or defence presence of India in the western IO, the African IO littoral nations, the presence of US/western bases in the wesetrn IO, the current delicate power balance and relative lack of Indian presence in the strategically important stretch from the IO end of the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf, as compared to SE Asia prompted me to focus this thread on SE Asia.

The cultural and long historical socio-economic connections in SE Asia could serve as the basis for new cooperations leading to military connections as well as increasing India's reach into the southern flank of the PRC.

The western IO is a more difficult area of operations, primarily because of the strong presence of US and its allies, the relatively weaker cultural connections with the the African littoral states (and additionally some anatgonism in countries like Kenya against Indians for twisted colonial legacy), the sparsity of habitable islands serving as ports of call and the long distance from the national bases in India, and the rather uncertain future of the Persian Gulf (as a four cornered struggle for supremacy - the Arab states, USA, Iran, and PRC).

Maybe RayC can help us analyze the utility or futility of a (hypothetical) situation where India could bargain with the US to have a share and presence in the island and national bases they control in the western IO. Personally I would have looked forward to such bargaining by our GOI as part of the various "deals" they are now working out with the USA! But this will go OT.

Control over the SE Asian sea-lanes and influence in the nations can effectively bar the Chinese from entering the IO from the east. To block the PRC from west, we will need blocking the Gulf, and dissolving TSP.

I therefore saw more potential in the medium term time range for SE Asia.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4090898 15th May, 2009. V. Raghubanshi.

Some positive steps, in the right direction. But no impact analysis as yet on the effects on the other Islam dominated nation, Malaysia.

Efforts also should be made to check the growing Chinese military buildup in the Indian Ocean region, a senior Defence Ministry official said, noting that China already has a base in the Coco Islands, leased from Myanmar, from which it monitors India's ballistic missile testing range. Indian defense planners have been told that India's Sunda-Banka, Lombok-Makassar and Ombai-Wetar straits are becoming strategic sea passages much like the Strait of Malacca, Defence Ministry sources said.

A senior ministry official said India and Indonesia have been strengthening their defense ties for some time, and the two countries have even explored the possibility of joint production of weapons and military equipment.

The two countries have also discussed joint patrols by Indian and Indonesian warships in the Strait of Malacca, the region's favored sea route for large ships, including oil tankers from the Arabian Gulf.

An Indonesian diplomat said that Jakarta is interested in buying the BrahMos supersonic anti-ship missile, jointly developed by India and Russia. Indonesia also is interested in the co-production with India of radars, electronic equipment and artillery weapons, the diplomat said.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Malaysians are culturally Indic (and I mean the intrinsic Malay culture despite its arabic overlays). The Chinese influence is very strong but only culturally, any communist influences of the past have been stamped out. the real danger is wahabbi money funding madrassahs and unpleasant clerics, and there is a natural constituency for that sort of thing amongst the more orthodox of the east coast. there needs to be more soft power projection in the region, as well as strong gunboat diplomacy. Singapore will be a key partner in this equation.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

^^^ I think Lal-ji is right but IMO it was not only Malaysia but whole of SE Asia...
Suvarnabhumi Airport
That is the name of Bangkok Intl. Airport.
And this is what one sees inside the airport terminal.
Also I read a story long ago that Singapore is made of Sanskrit words Singh(lion), & pur(place :?: ). It was named by a SE Asian prince, when he for the first time saw a lion on that island. But don't know how true this story is.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Singha-Pura was indeed named by an Indian Prince. A Chola I believe
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Lalmohan wrote:Malaysians are culturally Indic (and I mean the intrinsic Malay culture despite its arabic overlays). The Chinese influence is very strong but only culturally, any communist influences of the past have been stamped out. the real danger is wahabbi money funding madrassahs and unpleasant clerics, and there is a natural constituency for that sort of thing amongst the more orthodox of the east coast. there needs to be more soft power projection in the region, as well as strong gunboat diplomacy. Singapore will be a key partner in this equation.
Malaysian maybe Indic, but they take great pains to not to mention and instead wipe out the Hindu past.

There words are similar to Indian languages.

Mahatiir's father was Mohamad Iskandar, was of half-Indian origin, being the son of a Malayalee Muslim (who migrated from Kerala). He never admitted it!

He was the one who formulated and enforced the unfair Bhumiputra reservation for education and jobs etc for Malay and Malay Muslim and he was no pure Malaya but a half breed himself!
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

An interesting aspect of the Malaysian political thinking is the Rahmanian doctrine of a "secular state with a state religion". In Malaysia, this curious doctrine is implemented as a supposedly "secular state" which has an officialy recognized "state religion of Islam". We have to remember that the proponent of this doctrine was the founder of the OIC and a host of "Islamocentric" organizations in areas which we normally consider out of theological concerns - such as finance etc.

The "secular with a state religion" doctrine is interesting in the sense that the Islamic world at least has an example of a state which is both "secular" as well as acknowledging the supremacy of one faith over all others from the viewpoint of the state.

Is it surprising that a "secular state with Islam as state religion" is actually wary of collaborating militarily with India?
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

brihaspati wrote:An interesting aspect of the Malaysian political thinking is the Rahmanian doctrine of a "secular state with a state religion". In Malaysia, this curious doctrine is implemented as a supposedly "secular state" which has an officialy recognized "state religion of Islam". We have to remember that the proponent of this doctrine was the founder of the OIC and a host of "Islamocentric" organizations in areas which we normally consider out of theological concerns - such as finance etc.

The "secular with a state religion" doctrine is interesting in the sense that the Islamic world at least has an example of a state which is both "secular" as well as acknowledging the supremacy of one faith over all others from the viewpoint of the state.

Is it surprising that a "secular state with Islam as state religion" is actually wary of collaborating militarily with India?
This is from the British legacy. The British policy of keep various ethnic and religious community together and ruling them over centuries has morphed into this post-colonial "secular state".
Indian state is another variation of the same thing but anti-Hindu
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

brihaspati wrote:An interesting aspect of the Malaysian political thinking is the Rahmanian doctrine of a "secular state with a state religion". In Malaysia, this curious doctrine is implemented as a supposedly "secular state" which has an officialy recognized "state religion of Islam". We have to remember that the proponent of this doctrine was the founder of the OIC and a host of "Islamocentric" organizations in areas which we normally consider out of theological concerns - such as finance etc.

Malaysia before Mahatir was a real secular country.

It was Mahatir, who wanted to out Islam Islam. He was the son of Mohamad Iskandar, who was of half-Indian origin. Therefore, he had a chip on his shoulder since the Indians who were brought to Malaysia by the British were labourers and continue to be so; at least the majority.

I understand how those who are not 'pure' Muslims ie. of Arabic descent, out Islam Islam in Malaysia and elsewhere. I mention this to show how Mahatirs mind must have worked.

In Bengali we have a saying that natun Musolam beshi Allah Allah kore ie. a convert shouts Allah Allah a little too much!

A certain relative converted to Islam in Malasia having married a Malaysian citizen of Indonesian orgin (This relatives family, mostly doctors, lived in Malaysia for years) converted to Islam. Extraordinarily, he was more orthodox than his wife! No smoking and no drinking was allowed! And his official name was Haji ABCD Sengupta! What a gas!

His attitude was most irritating but since I have read something of Islam, I put him in a spot! Inerestingly, his children were hep! And I might add, hardly Islamic! They were however wary of the Moral Police!

This being the attitude I presume Mahatir had, he brought in a fierce national Malay awakening with his Bhumiputra policy, where all sorts of reservations, including for education, employment, number of birth (more the better) and medical care.

Malaysia being an Islamic country is understood.

However, why are they 'secular'?

The Chinese control their economy. They hate them, but they can do nothing about it, since Malays are lazy (Mahatir admit this!). The Chinese will not allow Malaysia to be Islamic!
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RayC,
I know that at least one prominent Malay "nationalist" was trained at the DehraDun military Academy, and went on to serve the British-Indian Army during WWII. Post-war, he was active in "nationalist" politics, and joined up with "Tunku". But even when Tunku was gradually morphing into his more "Islamized" avatar, this ex-Dunian tried to maintain a strong public voice against "ethnic identity based" politics.

Do you reckon, that those of Indian origin but jumped on the Malay Islamic bandwagon, would actually work against Indian interests to prove their "loyalty" (the age old "a new M* is a voracious beef eater")? A certain line of Indian thinking relies on the "Indian" origin connection.

On the other hand, as the previous example may suggest, direct military training/education under Indian auspices could be a better option?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

brihaspati wrote:RayC,
I know that at least one prominent Malay "nationalist" was trained at the DehraDun military Academy, and went on to serve the British-Indian Army during WWII. Post-war, he was active in "nationalist" politics, and joined up with "Tunku". But even when Tunku was gradually morphing into his more "Islamized" avatar, this ex-Dunian tried to maintain a strong public voice against "ethnic identity based" politics.

Do you reckon, that those of Indian origin but jumped on the Malay Islamic bandwagon, would actually work against Indian interests to prove their "loyalty" (the age old "a new M* is a voracious beef eater")? A certain line of Indian thinking relies on the "Indian" origin connection.

On the other hand, as the previous example may suggest, direct military training/education under Indian auspices could be a better option?
Well, I would not be sure.

However, I take it that you are a Bengali or somewhere nearabout from your post.

If you have read of Derozians and the Young Bengal Movement, you would realise how people can be obtuse to shake off their roots including eating beef and drinking to show they have 'arrived'!

Pakistanis textbooks don't acknowledge the Indian connection! What are they, pure Arabic steeds? Check Hoodbhoy's report on Pakistan Education.

WWII military men are a different kettle of fish.

They are a different lot!

Tungku Abdul Rehman's mother was IIRC a Thai.

He was morphing to Islam. It was this Mahatir who went hell for leather!

Such an awful Islamic country, they did to let me into the Blue Mosque even though I know how to say the Namaz! I wish I did not tell the idiots that I was not a Moslem! Though I did tell them that by not allowing us in, they are doing disservice since it would appear that Islam has something to hide! The guy was furious, but then who cares?

The Hindu Batu Caves stank of urine! Now, who will think Hinduism is OK?
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RayC,
hopefully I am not offending you by mentioning Rajnarain Bose (from another thread, a host of characters have been mentioned in "Sei somoi" - and one of them is your maternal grandparent), of young Bengal. In his autobiography, as far as I remember, he explicitly writes about Mughlai meat dishes and alcohol shared by his father who had tried to wean the son away from overdoing it. He also describes drinking in public etc. But this young "Bengal" turned to Vaidic religion and joined the Brahmo movement. In fact almost all of the "young Bengal" in their later life turned back with a vengeance to their "roots" or a modern "reinvention" of their roots. I have reasons to know intimately about some others of the group, so am aware of that "reversal" very well - a fact not much highlighted.

However we do not see similar phenomena in those who converted into one of the Abrahamics. Thus in the Malay case, it is possible that the secondary reversal does not occur.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

hopefully I am not offending you by mentioning Rajnarain Bose (from another thread, a host of characters have been mentioned in "Sei somoi" - and one of them is your maternal grandparent), of young Bengal. In his autobiography, as far as I remember, he explicitly writes about Mughlai meat dishes and alcohol shared by his father who had tried to wean the son away from overdoing it. He also describes drinking in public etc. But this young "Bengal" turned to Vaidic religion and joined the Brahmo movement. In fact almost all of the "young Bengal" in their later life turned back with a vengeance to their "roots" or a modern "reinvention" of their roots. I have reasons to know intimately about some others of the group, so am aware of that "reversal" very well - a fact not much highlighted.

However we do not see similar phenomena in those who converted into one of the Abrahamics. Thus in the Malay case, it is possible that the secondary reversal does not occur.

Read the book again. Not all changed to Bhramo Samaj.

A part of my family did and the other part did not!

My great grandfather, I am told, was one of the first to do widow remarriage which was a disgraceful event in those days!

The Brahmo Samaj divided itself with Debender Thakur on one side and Keshav Chandra Sen (related again!) on one side.

In fact, i was atounded when my grandaunt, a Brhamo, Rani Mahalanobis ( wife of Prof PCMahalanobis, the father of Indian statistics and founder of ISI) wondered why I did not marry within caste!

So there you are!

This is India!
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Okay, I think I know who "great grandfather" was! And that particular marriage was also organized in a most interesting and surprisingly "modern" way. Yes not all turned to Brahmo Samaj. But my point was that all of them somehow came out of their original extreme and public or dramatic show of antagonism to their "roots".

Rajnarain was the most prominent example of that later life reversal from earlier life "revolutionary enthusiasm", so I mentioned him. Although OT, there are speculations about the deep seated beliefs about caste among the Brahmos as manifested sometimes in their choice of marriage partners (excluding or including "gotras") even among the prominent leaders of the variosu factions.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Brihaspati,

The wording is 'one of the' ;)

The Thakurs were all for caste, but not Keshav Chandra.

In the Takur paribar, they celebrated Durga Puja, even though Brahmos renounced idol worship!

A hint: Herambo Maitra was my Ranididi's father!

Imagine, my granduncle's bother married Kanan Devi! :oops:

I care not for all these divisions. The person matters. I am of mixed caste, my children have married into caste that maybe my parents, if they were alive, may have objected (though can't say for sure, since they were rather emancipated since none complained when I changed my religion not Brahmo,but more radical ;)!) and so life goes on!

Acutally, I have no religion and I don't care much for it. What I care is that I am an INDIAN!
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RayC,
you need not have given Heramba Maitra's hint! :) I had already zeroed in. Caste by birth is not important and is only one opportunistic interpretation of religious allegory. The same allegory of the Purusha-shukta can be equally interpreted to mean "individual as society" - that the same person cultivates different gunas ascribed to different castes, and all equally necessary to be a complete human, so that all "varnas" reside within the same individual.

There is one thing I concur with you though - what you call as being Indian, and what I prefer to call as Bharatyia. This is one of the primary reasons I try to efface my origins - "ethnicity" or "region/province" or mother-tongue (in spite of your best efforts :mrgreen: ).

Anyway, it would be enlightening to know what you thought of the military-education-in-India influence as a future way, (for SE Asian nations) even if the WWII generational features are no longer available.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Indo-Myanmar gas pipeline project shelved
http://www.indoburmanews.net/archives-1 ... ct-shelved
The OVL and GAIL bought 20 per cent and 10 per cent stake respectively, in A1 and A3 blocks in Myanmar. Together these blocks have proven gas reserves of about 4.5 trillion cubic meters feet (TCF).

India pursued import of natural gas from Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar Gas Pipeline Project and Government of Myanmar issued a letter of intent in 2004, acknowledging that GAIL was preferential buyer of gas from A1 and A3 blocks. Further, an MoU was signed between India and Myanmar in March 2006.

However, a year later in February 2007, Myanmar Government and Petro-China signed an agreement under which gas from these two blocks was sold to China through the pipeline route.

GAIL impressed upon other partners and Myanmar Government that the pipeline offer was still the most competitive and offered optimum value for them due to proximity of India to these fields. However, Myanmar Government is going ahead with its decision to sell the gas to China, Deora added.

The jinxed pipeline project faced problem from day one. First Bangladesh, through which the pipeline project was to pass, put up tough conditions linking it to several other bilateral issues. Dhaka had demanded trade and power corridor to Nepal and Bhutan and measures to reduce Bangladesh’s trade deficit.
What is the result of tolerating all that goes on under the name of "internal affairs" by the Myanmarese junta? It is important not to give the purely military justification of tackling insurgency to basically alienate the democracy movement in Myanmar, and then jeopardize the long term strategic and military interests in the region.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Here is a EU-speak on naval scenario in SE Asia :
http://www.vub.ac.be/biccs/documents/AP ... ilemma.pdf
A naval arms race with India [by China] is not a likely outcome. First and foremost, the country’s naval power will remain tied up with Taiwan until a settlement with the island has been reached. Whereas enhanced capability in the East and South China Sea does weaken the readiness to deal with the proximate Taiwan; a shift of attention towards the Indian Ocean will certainly do so and is therefore not an option. Secondly, there is still a huge difference between naval deployment in the Eastern and South China Sea on the one hand, both considered historical spheres of influence, and the Indian Ocean on the other hand, where apart from the expedition by Zheng He in the 14th century, China does not dispose of any plausible legitimation to explain to its neighbours why the area should also historically belong to its maritime area of interest. Even countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Bangladesh would respond to such a posture with distrust. Thirdly, it is doubtful that the People’s Republic would render itself more vulnerable to an Indian sea denial operation by sending its fleet westwards of the Strait of Malacca. If a major crisis occurred, a Chinese naval counteroffensive would be an easy prey as they would inevitably have to sail through the narrow straits of Southeast Asia. Even submarines could easily be detected if they navigated from the shallow waters around Indonesia into the Indian Ocean. Moreover, even if the Chinese navy were to succeed in overcoming the Eastern Naval Command, thanks to the strategic depth India’s Western Naval Command would still be able to block oil supplies from the Persian Gulfs for days, weeks, if not months. In any case, costs for a Chinese counter-operation would be too high, so it looks more plausible for the People’s Republic to try to raise the costs India would incur were it to deny access, and simultaneously to reduce its dependence on the shipping lanes in the Indian Ocean. Instead of building-up naval presence in South Asia to balance India, it would be easier to deter the country in other ways: along the border, via Pakistan, etc. In addition, China could diversify its supply lines.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Anyway, it would be enlightening to know what you thought of the military-education-in-India influence as a future way, (for SE Asian nations) even if the WWII generational features are no longer available.
Haven't understood as to what you mean by military - education influence.

Nor, even 'if the WWII generational features are no longer available'.
csharma
BRFite

Post by csharma »

brihaspati wrote:Here is a EU-speak on naval scenario in SE Asia :
http://www.vub.ac.be/biccs/documents/AP ... ilemma.pdf
A naval arms race with India [by China] is not a likely outcome. First and foremost, the country’s naval power will remain tied up with Taiwan until a settlement with the island has been reached. Whereas enhanced capability in the East and South China Sea does weaken the readiness to deal with the proximate Taiwan; a shift of attention towards the Indian Ocean will certainly do so and is therefore not an option. Secondly, there is still a huge difference between naval deployment in the Eastern and South China Sea on the one hand, both considered historical spheres of influence, and the Indian Ocean on the other hand, where apart from the expedition by Zheng He in the 14th century, China does not dispose of any plausible legitimation to explain to its neighbours why the area should also historically belong to its maritime area of interest. Even countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Bangladesh would respond to such a posture with distrust. Thirdly, it is doubtful that the People’s Republic would render itself more vulnerable to an Indian sea denial operation by sending its fleet westwards of the Strait of Malacca. If a major crisis occurred, a Chinese naval counteroffensive would be an easy prey as they would inevitably have to sail through the narrow straits of Southeast Asia. Even submarines could easily be detected if they navigated from the shallow waters around Indonesia into the Indian Ocean. Moreover, even if the Chinese navy were to succeed in overcoming the Eastern Naval Command, thanks to the strategic depth India’s Western Naval Command would still be able to block oil supplies from the Persian Gulfs for days, weeks, if not months. In any case, costs for a Chinese counter-operation would be too high, so it looks more plausible for the People’s Republic to try to raise the costs India would incur were it to deny access, and simultaneously to reduce its dependence on the shipping lanes in the Indian Ocean. Instead of building-up naval presence in South Asia to balance India, it would be easier to deter the country in other ways: along the border, via Pakistan, etc. In addition, China could diversify its supply lines.

I think this is what a professor of Naval War College ( I am not sure) had told Robert Kaplan ina letter about naval competition between India and China in the Indian Ocean. He was essentially saying that China will get bogged down by Taiwan and India has the advantage of geography. Apparently, Kaplan was overoptimistic about China's chances in the Indian Ocean.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RayC,
my questions was in the context of the Malaysian nationalist who had joined the British Indian Army and been trained at DehraDun before the WWII. He had been a strident voice for anti-racial position in stark contrast to Tunku, and later Mahathir.

You had responded by saying that the WWII military men were a different category. I was interested in exploring the effects of having SE Asian youth trained in Indian military academies, and getting a better or more even handed attitudes in the military leadership in the area - as far as attitudes towards religion, race etc are concerned.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

csharmaji,
I would be wary of the EU-speak as well as Chinese posturings that they are more concerned with Taiwan. China always practises deception and could be trying to show that India is "unncessarily" arming itself. The EU is now closely linked with PRC economically, and could sing PRC tunes.

India's naval capacity building in the eastern IO has two-fold purpose. It takes care of the possibility of deception on Chinese parts. It also is an end in itself, for modern technological progress has been mostly driven by trying to prepare for war, wars that are projected to happen and not necessarily obvious at the time the preparatuons are undertaken. It is also not just pure arms race, for modern preparations are not mere 19th century gunboat diplomacy, but real humanitarian and soft power initiatives too. It therefore has a larger economic and social charm offensive component sustained by the arms race.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

my questions was in the context of the Malaysian nationalist who had joined the British Indian Army and been trained at DehraDun before the WWII. He had been a strident voice for anti-racial position in stark contrast to Tunku, and later Mahathir.

You had responded by saying that the WWII military men were a different category. I was interested in exploring the effects of having SE Asian youth trained in Indian military academies, and getting a better or more even handed attitudes in the military leadership in the area - as far as attitudes towards religion, race etc are concerned.
Notwithstanding the votaries here who are against anything British and attempting to decry them as promoting Raj mentality, they (the British) were real sharp customers, to use an American phrase.

They realised to rule India, they had to immunise the native people through who they had to rule. Thus, with high 'moral standing', they imbibed in the subject races a very apolitical and a non religious attitude - both these attributes were capable of creating chaos.

In actuality, it is a good thing.

However, having won independence and that too divided on religious grounds, the Indians and Pakistanis cashed on religion to justify their existence as separate nations, though India, while maintaining her Hindu heritage, showcased secularism.

When all this sham secularism claptrap started wearing at the seams, the politicians gave a spin and that is how vote bank politics came into being and thereafter the so called demolitions of temples and mosques and the mayhems.

Notwithstanding the dirty trick department of Indian politics, it is a great consolation that the Indian Armed Forces generally are still apolitical!
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

My take on the US paper is that it is a hard sell of US sensitivities in the area.

Taiwan is important to China, but not the be all and end all of her existence.

What is important to China? Taiwan or a secure line of communications from the Gulf carrying oil to fire its industry and modernisation? Compare the difficulties of capturing Taiwan to that of employing its Navy to secure its oil routes and which of the two will invite reaction?
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RayC thats a paper from EU - from a Brussels based thinktank. But it may also represent US sensitivities.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

India, under Nehru, transferred the Coco Islands to Burma in 1954. What is this consistent pattern in Nehru about giving or donating territory to other countries? Can we have confirmation about this transfer and possible motivations in Nehru? (Source : Prakash Nanda and Zhao Nanqi, “Unified Command: Strategic Significance of the
Andamans,” Statesman (New Delhi), 18 October, 2002.)
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

brihaspati wrote:RayC thats a paper from EU - from a Brussels based thinktank. But it may also represent US sensitivities.
When one has to analyse, everything counts!
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

brihaspati wrote:India, under Nehru, transferred the Coco Islands to Burma in 1954. What is this consistent pattern in Nehru about giving or donating territory to other countries? Can we have confirmation about this transfer and possible motivations in Nehru? (Source : Prakash Nanda and Zhao Nanqi, “Unified Command: Strategic Significance of the
Andamans,” Statesman (New Delhi), 18 October, 2002.)
It is a British policy and for several decades Indian foreign service was handling policies which the British govt would have done. The relationship of the Indian state with other states in the neighborhood was set by the Colonial British and Indian state follows even till date.

One major example is the Tibet policy. Indian state still uses the British colonial treaties and agreement as its own to deal with the issue. Unless India gets out of it and creates a policy which is backed by military power it will be seen as a left over of the colonial India.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

The lack of close supervision caused by the islands isolation prompted the colonial authorities in Calcutta to transfer jurisdiction of the 3 main islands and three small satellite islands to Rangoon, which by then was Britain’s administrative capital in Lower Burma. In 1882 the Coco Islands officially became part of British Burma. When Burma separated from India in 1937 and became a self-governing Crown Colony, the Coco Islands remained Burmese territory. In 1942, along with the rest of the Andaman and Nicobar chain, they were invaded by the Japanese. After Burma regained its independence from Britain in 1948, the Islands passed to the new Union of Burma. A statement by Indian Defence Minister George Fernandes to the BBC in 2003, that Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru had ‘donated’ the Coco Islands to Burma in the 1950s, and thus surrendered a vital strategic asset, was incorrect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_Islands
What is the reality?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JLN probably re-affirmed the British decison to transfer the Cocos islands to Burma as a goodwill gesture. He might have thought 'not a blade of grass grows there!" or in other words those Cocos Islands dont have an Indian interest. In the 1950s the regime in Burma was an isolated one. Its only in last few decades PRC has made friends with Burmese regimes and made the islands a strategic concern.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

If it was already a forgone and internationally acceptable transfer, then it should have not needed reaffirmation by the PM of India. The best and required time for such reaffirmation would have been as part of the instruments of transfer of power, or latest when the first government was formally elected and sworn in. That means not 1954, but 1952 by the latest.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

http://www.upiasia.com/Security/2009/02 ... ties/4610/
“Anti-piracy operations” have given China’s PLA Navy the best excuse to penetrate the Indian Ocean and station forces there permanently.
As fighting piracy around the Gulf of Aden becomes a long-term mission, the PLA Navy South Sea Fleet is likely to set up a sub-fleet to handle that task – perhaps the “Indian Ocean Sub-fleet of the South Sea Fleet” – and the PLA Navy will become the new owner of the Indian Ocean.
In recent months, Chinese military publications have carried a number of articles stating that “the Indian Ocean does not belong to India.” The intent of these articles is increasingly clear.
While carrying out anti-piracy operations, the PLA Navy’s battleships will gain experience in long-distance maritime combat operations in preparation for the establishment of an ocean-going aircraft carrier fleet. The navy may dispatch other battleships, such as its 054A FFG, on similar missions in the future.
China has a key military objective in dispatching battleships to the Gulf of Aden. The “Chinese Aegis” class DDG it has sent to the region has the most advanced radar detection and C4IRS capabilities, and therefore can conduct effective battlefield monitoring exercises in this region. The Gulf of Aden provides the best geographical environment for the PLA Navy to conduct surveillance on the activities of the U.S. 5th Fleet.

The powerful detection capability of the Chinese Aegis DDG relies on the “Sea Lion” active phased array radar installed on the battleship.

China received some of the sub-systems and technological advice from the Ukrainian Kvant Design Bureau in developing this radar system. This is the bureau that participated in the research and development of almost all major Soviet surface battleship radar systems. This includes the Fregat 2EM 3-D radar, which China imitated from the Russian system, working from a blueprint provided by Kvant.
China redesigned and reconfigured the Sea Lion radar system on its own, however, particularly the electric circuits, according to an authoritative source from the Ukrainian Administration of Arms Import and Export.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

brihaspati wrote:Vietnam has shown willingness to bypass India and buy small arms from Pakistan ignoring cautious protests from the Indian side. I am not saying Vietnam should be abandoned. But, Thailand can be cultivated. One of the primary reasons is the cultural basis of Thailand, and its strong Buddhist foundation. Vietnam on the other hand had a good deal of communist brainwashing and a removal or erasure of older cultural links with India.

Because the thrust here on this thread is the military expansion of India in the SE, it has to be kept in mind that the Thai military is not one of the strongest in the region, and compared to Vietnam, which at least has the pride and memory of fighting successful civil wars and foreign campaigns, is a good target for strategiic military partnership.

Moreover, what appears to be a safe bet, is also recognized by that country. And they will obviously try to bargain on their position. I will post an article ref where the Vietnamese have been subtly urged to play the market.
Vietnam has a martial tradition, and that tradition is in essence anti-Chinese. In fact Vietnam represents India's most potent means to replicate PRC's Pakistan Doctrine.

India should go for a full-scale cooperation with Vietnam in all spheres, especially military and nuclear. Vietnam too is aware of the Chinese threat, but wouldn't want to antagonize China unnecessarily. Vietnam too would appreciate an enhanced sense of security.

In fact Vietnam is an ideal place to introduce a trilateral military partnership. Vietnam wants American help too in thwarting PRC's growing influence. However history makes it somewhat awkward in accepting American help too openly. This is where India can be of help - in channelizing military help to Vietnam. Vietnam also offers a market for Indian military supplies.

India should also come forth and offer nuclear cooperation to the Vietnamese, including help to enhance Vietnamese technical skills level. We should both export nuclear reactors as well as let Vietnamese improve their own R&D in the area. In fact Vietnam should go the way of Iran. Staying within the NPT until the time comes to break out of it.

The biggest reason why Vietnam should be supported is because India too may well need a third country to continue our nuclear testing. Vietnam can test our designs. Vietnam would indeed have to suffer some sanctions once it tries to break out. We can help alleviate the effects of those sanctions.

Vietnam ought to have the wherewithal to attack all Chinese Southern cities, using their own missiles, a field where we can also be help to them, and using their 'own' nuclear bombs. The best part would be India's nuclear-tipped partner would be a lot more stable than China's nuclear proxy.

Secondly if China is trying to get to Gwadar, India too can try to have access to Cam Ranh Bay, the finest deep-water harbor in South-East Asia, allowing Indian Navy a spring-board to the Pacific.

India should build its strategy in South East Asia on the shoulders of the three strongest countries there namely Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

nuclear cooperation is possible - but now, weapons cooperation will be tricky, after all those agreements with USA. The best is to position nuke capbale fleets on a semi-permanent basis as part of a naval mutual defence treaty in Vietnamese waters. This can include clauses that ensures deterrence on behalf of Vietnam.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

brihaspati wrote:nuclear cooperation is possible - but now, weapons cooperation will be tricky, after all those agreements with USA. The best is to position nuke capbale fleets on a semi-permanent basis as part of a naval mutual defence treaty in Vietnamese waters. This can include clauses that ensures deterrence on behalf of Vietnam.
Brihaspati ji,

PRC has created two paranoid nuclear powers on its periphery, Pakistan and North Korea. PRC knows that it exerts sufficient amount of influence over these two powers, but still wants to remain in the background. It lets these powers still have a mind of their own. Before transferring nuclear and missile technology to them PRC just made one thing sure - that these two countries would be a pain in the arse to its two main adversaries in Asia and pose no threat to it.

Because these two proxies had a paranoid, sort of mad, personality trait, PRC seemed to be actually very reasonable in comparison, and being the country with influence on these two, was always in demand to put some breaks on their behavior. Using Pakistan and North Korea, PRC has in fact neutralized and contained both India and Japan respectively.

We cannot nurture something similar to Pakistan or North Korea. That would simply not gel with India's way of doing things. What India needs is a North Korea or a Pakistan not in the Chinese mold, but rather in Indian mold, not a country which neutralizes and contains India's adversaries (PRC) through paranoid behavior and nuclear muscles but rather acts as a barrier curtailing the imperialist influence of our adversaries (PRC) and with sufficient nuclear muscle. Our partners ought to be able to do the curtailing on their own, independently of India.

A containment system based on a single player, India, would not hold. We need a collective of independent decision-making stake-holder nations trying to contain the adversary (PRC) to the best of its abilities enhanced through economic and security cooperation with India. India needs a team of highly capable players.

That is why, it is important that we have Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam in addition to us as militarily strong nations doing the containment from the periphery and Tibetans and Uyghurs weakening PRC from inside. Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam are not going to be India's adversaries, and if they rediscover their militaristic sides, they can be strong partners for Indians in the very necessary project of containment of PRC.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

RajeshAji,
I understand. I also believe India should be more proactive in building up military partnerships with Japan and Vietnam. Tactically, however, we still need to keep nuke capabilities on naval crafts because they cannot be highlighted by a host of NPT movers-shakers as proliferation by India. However, keeping them on naval crafts on a semi-permanent basis bypasses a lot of this type of international hype. We have to push China always into a situation where it appears the aggressor. A properly planned campaign can liberate Tibet as it is very difficult to hold onto bulges as the current shape of western China is. But for this we really really need to flank China into South China sea. And as you point out Vietnam is the most forward and favourable base. Taiwan's current politics is split between the pro- and anti-China factions. It could get difficult for India to directly get in. South Korae is somthing we also neglect. However thats going OT for this thread.

Another thing could be a mixture of iron-fist-in-velvet-gloves combines with cash, to "buy" back islands like the Cocos donated to Burma/Myanmar. A recession could open up opportunities.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

brihaspati ji,

Proliferation is a slippery thing. If we give Vietnam -
o civilian nuclear infrastructure,
o technical knowhow and training to their scientists through Education and Training courses in India
o and some consultancy services on basic principles of nuclear bomb assembly and individual bomb components

all of it separately, without handing them a blueprint of a nuclear bomb directly, then our contribution to proliferation would be at the most disputable and controversial.

Secondly we should not be holistic about it. PRC has given Pakistan and NoKo nuclear and missile technology. Why should India be apologetic about it? Besides we will be doing these things only covertly.