Indian Naval Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by kit »

ManuJ wrote:<span>From <a href="http://www.frontline.in/storie ... 110600.htm" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.frontline.in/stories/20091023262110600.htm[/url]</a></span>
According to Rajagopalan, the R&DE(E), with support from the Navy, has ventured into building the superstructure of Corvette-class warships with carbon-epoxy composites. Next would be the development of ship hulls with fibre-reinforced plastic.
Another instance of the pro-active IN. Must be still in early R&D stages, else we would have heard more about it.
mine sweepers .. specialized anti sub corvettes.. stealth .. nice .. the armed forces would do well to capitalize on emerging indigenous technologies.. some of these are at bleeding edge .. remember some time back IISc had made news on discovery of a radar tech capable of detecting stealth and other aircraft at very long ranges .. any one remember that ? and what happened to the tritium production tech by BARC ? As i recall that tech was probably the cheapest .. now that India still lacks a working H bomb !
SanjibGhosh
BRFite

Post by SanjibGhosh »

Final trials of Russia's Nerpa sub threatened by lack of funds
http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20091008/156391993.html
"We have not yet received payments for work that has been already done, and today the electricity supply to the Vostok facility was cut [by a local electricity supplier] because we have not been able to pay our debts," the official said.

The shipyard was promised an estimated 1.9 billion rubles ($60 million) in government funds in the beginning of October to cover the cost of the repairs.
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

SanjibGhosh wrote:Final trials of Russia's Nerpa sub threatened by lack of funds
http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20091008/156391993.html
"We have not yet received payments for work that has been already done, and today the electricity supply to the Vostok facility was cut [by a local electricity supplier] because we have not been able to pay our debts," the official said.

The shipyard was promised an estimated 1.9 billion rubles ($60 million) in government funds in the beginning of October to cover the cost of the repairs.
Don't panic, that's routine in Russia. Everything will be fine.
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

shankarosky was right :mrgreen:

http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?667400
According to local experts further delay in Nerpa could hit the programme of operationalising the indigenous INS Arihant nuclear submarine, which is based on the same Akula-II blueprints.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Thanks from a Broadsword visitor to the Indian Navy
I received the following email from Bhushan Y Nigale of Bangalore. I've posted it on Broadsword because Mr Nigale's at least managed to write in his thanks. Thousands of others who the military helps have no way of expressing their gratitude.

-------------------------------

Dated: 8th Oct 09

Dear Shri Shukla,

I read some of your posts on the Indian Navy on your blog and thought of narrating to you a recent incident involving the Indian Navy. I am trying to reach the Navy officers to formally express my thanks but have been unable to do so as I am not able to find the right feedback channel on the official websites.

On 2nd October 2009, my wife, our two year old daughter and me were traveling by our car from Panaji-Goa to Bangalore. At 7:30 am we passed the Argha gate of the Project Sea Bird, Indian Navy's base at Karwar. A group of protestorsgreeted us with stones and sticks. They were mostly villagers angry against the Navy for constructing a stone wall apparently blocking the flow of water to the sea. They had blocked the National Highway (NH 17), so we waited.

From 10:30 am onwards, the intensity of the rain increased, and by 11:30 am water was flooding our car. Holding my baby daugher, I jumped off the car, my wife followed. We waded a kilometer through navel-high water with the help of Navy Police personnel. They guided us to a shade.

The ferocity of rains increased even more, and a group of 200 civilians - passengers stuck on the highway and also the same protestors - were rescued by the Navy personnel and brought to the shade. We were drenched, heavy winds were blowing and we all were worried: there was no land in sight, the water level even in the shade was rising. The Navy personnel were very calm throughout and assuring us of support - an assurance that translated into action shwen they brought large containers of Khichadi and coffeee for us. I later learnt that the Navy police made food fo clsoe to 500 more peop-le stuck in the nearby village and transported it via boats on ths highway.

Above all, I want to mention with thanks the personal attention given by the staff towards our baby. Capt Sunder Lal, and on the next day - wer were at the Naval base for close to 30 hours - Lt. Dahiya brought milk for our baby specially from their homes. Sunder Lalji was a pillar of strength, masterminding the rescue operations, assuring us civilians of saftey. Lt Dahiya even tried to arrange a drop for us back to Goa. SUnder Lalji was intrumental in helping us find our car and then help us transport it on a truck back to Goa.

I felt a surge of pride when I saw our Navy personnel work very hard to go beyound thier call of duty and risk their lives to save us. I wallowed in happiness to know our country is secure in the hands of such committed and brave people. My heartfelt thanks to the Navy personnel!

Please mention this on your blog if you deem this story fit to bring to the notice of other people.

thanks and regards,
Bhushan.

------------
Bhushan Y. Nigale,
New Thippasandra,
Bangalore 75.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Kanson wrote:
Above all, I want to mention with thanks the personal attention given by the staff towards our baby. Capt Sunder Lal, and on the next day - wer were at the Naval base for close to 30 hours - Lt. Dahiya brought milk for our baby specially from their homes. Sunder Lalji was a pillar of strength, masterminding the rescue operations, assuring us civilians of saftey. Lt Dahiya even tried to arrange a drop for us back to Goa. SUnder Lalji was intrumental in helping us find our car and then help us transport it on a truck back to Goa.

I felt a surge of pride when I saw our Navy personnel work very hard to go beyound thier call of duty and risk their lives to save us. I wallowed in happiness to know our country is secure in the hands of such committed and brave people. My heartfelt thanks to the Navy personnel!

Very touching...
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Fantastic.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Good job IN!
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

What losers! :evil:

More Nerpa / INS Chakra delays

Following the November accident, caused by the accidental trigger of submarine's fire protection system, the submarine took to the seas for the first set of sea trial on July 10. A second set followed on July 31. Third stages of trials were concluded on September 23.

"The submarine is in a good state of readiness and there is confidence that it will be commissioned on time," a port official had then said.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Updated the page on the Mod Talwar Class;

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Teg.html
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

From Deccan Chronicle: Time for India to wake up to China

By: Vice-Admiral Arun Kumar Singh retired as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief
of the Eastern Naval Command, Visakhapatnam
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Rakesh, thanks for updating the Yantar 11356 page but the pennant numbers are incorrect. F47 is Shivalik.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Kanson wrote:Thanks from a Broadsword visitor to the Indian Navy
I received the following email from Bhushan Y Nigale of Bangalore. I've posted it on Broadsword because Mr Nigale's at least managed to write in his thanks. Thousands of others who the military helps have no way of expressing their gratitude.

-------------------------------

Dated: 8th Oct 09

Dear Shri Shukla,

I read some of your posts on the Indian Navy on your blog and thought of narrating to you a recent incident involving the Indian Navy. I am trying to reach the Navy officers to formally express my thanks but have been unable to do so as I am not able to find the right feedback channel on the official websites.

My heartfelt thanks to the Navy personnel!

Please mention this on your blog if you deem this story fit to bring to the notice of other people.

thanks and regards,
Bhushan.

------------
Bhushan Y. Nigale,
New Thippasandra,
Bangalore 75.
WHERE IS THE GREAT INDIAN FREE PRESS

The Great Indian Free Press is very quick on sensational news like how Arjun has "failed" some tests which T 90 "passed" with flying colours and of course the crashes of MiG 21.

Did they ever come to know about this incident ? Are is it tooooo minor compared to other "exciting" defence news ?

I hope that defence-oriented and defence-knowledgble journalist like Vishnu Som and Sandeep Unnithan take this to "higher levels", levels where the laymen like Tarun, Dinesh and Hari coem to know the valours of our defence personnel

K
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

MoD press release on PIB is reporting that Garden Reach has received a brand new order for 8 Inshore Patrol Vessels from the Indian Coast Guard.

Anyone have any details on these IPV’s :?: :
Thursday, October 08, 2009

Ministry of Defence

GRSE pays 24 crore dividend

…………… GRSE has received order for eight Inshore Patrol Vessels (IPVs), in recent past, for use by the Indian Coast Guard. Construction of these IPVs will commence soon. ……………..

PIB
Continuing with the Indian Coast Guard, an ABG built aluminum hulled interceptor boat was commissioned yesterday (Friday Oct 9th) with pennant number C–144 :
New boat of Coast Guard commissioned

Last Updated : 10 Oct 2009 09:42:42 AM IST

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Adding more teeth to its coast guarding capabilities off the Kerala coast, the Indian Coast Guard on Friday commissioned an Interceptor Boat fitted with ultra modern navigational and communication equipment.

Governor R.S.Gavai formally commissioned the vessel C-144 at Vizhinjam.

To be based at Beypore, the boat will help enhance close-coast surveillance capabilities.

The 26-metre vessel, displaces 90 tons and was built by ABG Shipyard Ltd, Surat.
Commanded by Commandant Chandra Shekhar Joshi, the boat has one Officer and ten personnel.

It has an endurance of 500 nautical miles with the economical speed of 25 knots and can achieve a maximum speed of 45 knots. …………………

Express Buzz
durvasa
BRFite

Post by durvasa »

New boat of Coast Guard commissioned
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

Rakesh wrote:Updated the page on the Mod Talwar Class;

Launch of Teg is slated for 8th November. Orlov (gen.manager of Yantar) has remarked: not later than 15th.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

maz wrote:Rakesh, thanks for updating the Yantar 11356 page but the pennant numbers are incorrect. F47 is Shivalik.
Oops! Thanks Maz. I have removed the pennant numbers for now. Do you know them?

Added Later: The wiki link states that Trikand will have a pennant number of F50. Based on that, I have updated the page.
SNaik wrote:Launch of Teg is slated for 8th November. Orlov (gen.manager of Yantar) has remarked: not later than 15th.
Thanks for this info SNaik. I have updated the page with the info.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

arun wrote:Continuing with the Indian Coast Guard, an ABG built aluminum hulled interceptor boat was commissioned yesterday (Friday Oct 9th) with pennant number C–144 :
Arun: Then there is something wrong with this page!

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/IB2.html

Because I have up to pennant number C-152 that is commissioned. HELP! :eek:
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Rakesh,

Seems to me you have been caught out by your own proactiveness :wink: .

Take the pennant numbers as just a guide and the status of vessel as un-commissoned unless a date appears in brackets. Seems to me you just put down the pennant numbers upfront for the administrative convenience of saving up on typing in the future.

Hmmmm ……….. the likely commissioning of C-143 seems to have slipped under the radar. Any one :?:

Added later:

Rakesh,

More details on the specifications of the interceptor boats.

Be sure to click on “View Blue Prints”. There are some nice line drawings.

Marine Kits

And speaking of line drawings, the last one I had pointed out to you namely the survey catamaran is yet to find its way onto the relevant BR page. May I request you please close out that issue.
Last edited by arun on 11 Oct 2009 19:48, edited 2 times in total.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Submarine launched version of Brahmos to be tested in Mid December:

India Likely to Test-Fire BrahMos Supersonic Missile in Dec
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

Submarine launch of a cruise missile is a noisy affair unless its a swimout like the SS-n-15/16.

So I guess a sub launched brahmos may be a salvo affair.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I may be speculating here, but the news item about a submarine being tested around chennai might be the Arihant.

We know that the Arihant's reactor inside the sub has not received its fuel rods. The sub will likely go to chennai port or close to kalpakkam for the fuel rods to be inserted into the reactor and the reactor will go critical under the watchful eyes of the nuclear engineers at kalpakkam.

If this is true, this is great news!!!

Maybe we will get to see more of the Arihant when it steps out of its pen at Vizag.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

arun wrote: Hmmmm ……….. the likely commissioning of C-143 seems to have slipped under the radar. Any one :?:
http://indiancoastguard.nic.in/IndianCo ... 09/May.htm :mrgreen:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

arun wrote:Rakesh,

Seems to me you have been caught out by your own proactiveness :wink: .

Take the pennant numbers as just a guide and the status of vessel as un-commissoned unless a date appears in brackets. Seems to me you just put down the pennant numbers upfront for the administrative convenience of saving up on typing in the future.
LOL! I actually took ABG Shipyard at it's word, when they said, "ABG Shipyards reports that these eleven vessels will be delivered at an interval of three months each, beginning from October 2007 and ending in May 2010." So I did a rough calculation and came up with an approximate number of commissioned vessels. Little did I realise (and I should have) that everything in India takes its own sweet time! :D
arun wrote:Added later:

Rakesh,

More details on the specifications of the interceptor boats.

Be sure to click on “View Blue Prints”. There are some nice line drawings.

Marine Kits
The blue print is an excellent one. I will have to add that in. Thanks!
arun wrote:And speaking of line drawings, the last one I had pointed out to you namely the survey catamaran is yet to find its way onto the relevant BR page. May I request you please close out that issue.
Yikes! Sorry man! I seem to have dropped the ball on that one. Can you please resend?
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Rakesh,

Good spot on the C-143 commissioning, direct from the Coast Guard as well 8) .

For the line drawing of the Survey Catamaran being built by Alcock Ashdown for the Indian Navy please click on “General Arrangement” in this post of mine.
shanksinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shanksinha »

Some good Photos of SHIVALIK Class lead ship, up close and personal:
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66 ... Melara.jpg
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66 ... ik_CIC.jpg
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66 ... Bridge.jpg

A bit old pics but good ones.
-Thanks

The original source from where these came from.
Rahul.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2009/03/ ... valik.html
Last edited by Rahul M on 12 Oct 2009 17:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: when you post original content from some source, be sure to give a link to that source. else it amounts to copyright violation and will be deleted.
shanksinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shanksinha »

^^ Apologies for the same, actually got it from another website, no idea it was Ajai's work. Will be more careful in future.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

arun wrote:For the line drawing of the Survey Catamaran being built by Alcock Ashdown for the Indian Navy please click on “General Arrangement” in this post of mine.
Thanks! Do we have any details on delivery? Date of contract execution? Anything?
shanksinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shanksinha »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Nice decommissioning photographs of INS Bedi - a Pondicherry Class minesweeper. Check it out.

http://sify.com/news/imagegallery/galle ... missioned_

Nice drawing shanksinha! Please may I use that in the BR Navy site?
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

I hope you guys realize the importance of this pic. This appears to be the FIRST open source pic (apparently cleared by the IN) of the Ops Room of any capital ship, that too the LATEST capital ship. If you check out BR Naval section you will note that nearly every pic is of the exterior and some ships have bridge pics. The real action in a capital ship happens in the Ops Room. This is the sanctum sanctorum. In fact the Ops Room is out of bounds in most standard tours....for obvious reasons. I must confess I didn't even know that such a place existed till 2005.

Obviously those huge LCD screens are not for watching movies (they have enough of those in the officers lounge). This is where all the IT-Vity done by the Navy really comes in. Each console is for SAM, AShM, Anti-Sub (if applicable), Airspace Mgmt, ECM, Data Linky type of stuff. The noise isolaters are pretty cool. Since its in the bowls of a ship the ops room gets bathed in that red light and all the other crimson tide like features.

Very cool pic, very important pic.

Oh just in case I am wrong and this is they cybercafe please forget everything I said. :D
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

That Mission Navy thingie in Nat Geo had considerable shots of Ops Room of Delhi and Talwar and most critically the Ops room of a modernised Kilo ( that was a coup sort off )

What you see of Shivalik is just a small part/adjoin of the real ops room , the real ops room pics still hidden.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Saar,
Even more critical will be the room with the automated workstations. This will be the nerve center of the ship where all data from the various sensors will be fused and the weapon systems will be deployed from.
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

Austin wrote:That Mission Navy thingie in Nat Geo had considerable shots of Ops Room of Delhi and Talwar and most critically the Ops room of a modernised Kilo ( that was a coup sort off ).........What you see of Shivalik is just a small part/adjoin of the real ops room , the real ops room pics still hidden.
Wow then we need to have screen shots of those (assuming they will be clear). I am not sure how exactly you figured this is not the full ops room of the Shivalik. Some open source info would be nice. For me those huge LCD screens would either indicate a cybercafe.....or Navy "IT-Vity" :twisted:

Finally IMHO Modernized Kilo (i.e. Klub firing Sindhu) really had nothing special on it. Unless I was too winded on my way down (and up) and missed something its just a typical crammed Kilo bridge with one special console. Big whoop.

Gagan:
That's the bridge (see the windows) not the ops room.
Last edited by George J on 13 Oct 2009 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Gagan , that pics I believe is that of bridge with the new integrated IPMS , the nerve center or the ops room should be located deep within the ship , atleast 2 decks below , that is the place from where they control Air Surveillance , Weapons , Sensors etc
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

But what are the integrated consoles then? We have them on IN subs too.
These integrate all sensor data, such that any console can perform any function.
these can display sensor data, as well as churn out coordinates to the weapons themselves.
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

Simply put a warship or a container ship have one room in common thats the bridge (well and mess and kitchen and living). You navigate, communicate and monitor the functioning of your ship from engine oil temp to water supply to which toilet is backed up from the bridge.

The "war" is conducted from elsewhere and that is the ops room and thats why this pic is so cool. It's the first pic, we can hope to get screen shots form the Nat Geo thing that Austin talked which chronologically predates this.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

George J wrote:Wow then we need to have screen shots of those (assuming they will be clear).
Unfortunately that Mission Navy was not shot in HD quality , so the screen shot is as poor as those you would see for other documentary.
I am not sure how exactly you figured this is not the full ops room of the Shivalik. Some open source info would be nice. For me those huge LCD screens would either indicate a cybercafe.....or Navy "IT-Vity" :twisted:
Any modern CIC or ops room as the IN prefers to call it , would have integrated combat control with rows of control stations and console like you see here link
But what you see out there is more like control stations for equipment like for eg engine which are widely spaced apart and like these days for any equipment has a VDU , not a ops room is what I feel , but then I could be wrong
Finally IMHO Modernized Kilo (i.e. Klub firing Sindhu) really had nothing special on it. Unless I was too winded on my way down (and up) and missed something its just a typical crammed Kilo bridge with one special console. Big whoop.
No the one big kilo with one special console is what I believe was the old one , or the one big you saw could be that of commander console , if that looked like modern LCD

The modernised kilo has a row of console , IIRC with 4- 5 people each manning 1 console with 2 LCD screen and control stations , its similar to the 5th picture on that link with 5 operator station with 2 LCD each , ditto for Kilo upgrade.