BR Main Site Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Post by rohitvats »

In the special gallery sub-section in the IAF section, one of the captions of a photograph reads:
Camels land at Daulet Beg Oldi GOC-in-C, AOC-in-C, GOC XVI Corps,Leh.
Just wondering, shouldn't that read as XIV Corps, located at Nimu, some distance prior to Leh? Ot is it indeed GOC XVI Corps?
Last edited by Jagan on 06 Oct 2009 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: XIV Corps it is - Now Fixed
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Re: Pokhran II not fully successful: Scientist - Part-3

Post by Gagan »

A point to note here is that Arun_S's contributions on the missile section are no longer part of BR. The pages written by him on the Agni and other missiles are now gone.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Gagan wrote:A point to note here is that Arun_S's contributions on the missile section are no longer part of BR. The pages written by him on the Agni and other missiles are now gone.
whats on plan for the missing pages? the void is being felt by all. (my assumptions)
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Gagan wrote:A point to note here is that Arun_S's contributions on the missile section are no longer part of BR. The pages written by him on the Agni and other missiles are now gone.

.... removed on his request, I may add. As did some material from the IAF site.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: BR Main Site Feedback

Post by KrishG »

Jagan wrote:

Jagan, please let me know if I can be of any help in resurrecting the 'Space' section. Whatever the info you would like, I am petty sure I can get it.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Rakesh / Maz,

Please undertake appropriate measures for updating the Navy / Coast Guard Website on the basis of information posted here.

Cheers!!!
animesharma
BRFite

Post by animesharma »

To BR site admins and Mods

This post may be out of topic, but its better to post it in public rather than sending a private mail.
I have been thinking about the growing importance of BR and as a more or less invisible member, i take pride in its rise.

however, i have an advice and will appreciate if it is considered. Why doesn't BR foray in to online and print media publication?( May be Monthly Magazine)

BR has some real advantages and assets which other may aspire for. I can see some highly experienced and few people put up at right place.
I am unaware of BR's future plans, or how its run. But my business sense tells me that here's a business prospects waiting to be unearthed.

I have a lot of obvious ideas to deal with the same, however i will wait for your response in this regard.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

animesh, BR had a couple of steady and quite standard web periodicals for some time.
articles from these two have been sited at many important security commentaries.

BR Monitor
and
Security Research Review

SRR is currently being resurrected (well for about a year now) by n^3 ji. the main reason why these two excellent journals went out was that some of the enthusiastic people moved on and the new crop (which means us) haven't been able to pick up the mantle.

if you want to know how that is progressing, have a look at this thread : http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=1&t=4188

at the end of the day, to publish journals you need articles. if you think you can contribute, write down an article, send it to the editor for peer review and if it is accepted you will find your name among the hallowed list of authors ! :D
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

B-R IAF, and Land forces section are not loading at all - no response from main B-R site - is it undergoing some upgrade right now?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

X posting from Newbie thread
atreya wrote:I am noticing that for the past 1.5-2 weeks, the "Top Stories" section on the main page of BR is not up-to-date. Many important defence related articles are being missed out. Why is it so?
I was about to bring that up! BR news section is often my first source of info and news related to defence. Would love to see it kept updated at all times. Webmasters, if you need my help in sending you news links related to Indian Armed Forces....I offer mine. Anything for BRF.

So long as it doesn't eat into my other priorities.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Is there something wrong? have been unable to access the BR main page since morning.
brat
BRFite

Post by brat »

ajay pratap wrote:Is there something wrong? have been unable to access the BR main page since morning.
I have been unable to access main page since last night.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

What went wrong with BR since morning!
i was suffering from sever withdrawl symptoms!! :((
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

I can access the site but the pages dont render properly.
Check the screenshots

http://tinypic.com/r/2yo8tnq/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2a0ickg/4
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

No issues for me till now.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Rakesh / Maz,

Kindly amend Saryu Class page to record the launch of the second vessel of the class, Sunayna:

See here
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... cture.html

all the links other than sidebar are 404s.
Last edited by Jagan on 20 Nov 2009 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thanks. Links now fixed
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

The URLs on BRF site seem to be case sensitive after "http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/"

e.g. http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/ - opens but http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/news does not.

whatever is in CAPS after the .com has to be all in caps. Any other way, it does not work! Is this the way it is designed or can the webmasters do something about this?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Could be that its hosted in *inx servers? I am not sure though
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Kailash wrote:The URLs on BRF site seem to be case sensitive after "http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/"

e.g. http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/ - opens but http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/news does not.

whatever is in CAPS after the .com has to be all in caps. Any other way, it does not work! Is this the way it is designed or can the webmasters do something about this?

thats the way its designed. - we sort of like it that way having got used to it.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

^^^ not a big deal - most of us here have the site bookmarked or set as home page! From BRF home, everything else is connected. Just an observation as I have never seen this behavior with URLs.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

Sriman wrote:
koti wrote:Whenever I post something, it is giving the time zone that is different from IST. Admins can you please fix that or is this deliberate?
You can change it. Go to User Control Panel,board preferences and change your timezone.

Hello to all,

I just joined the BRF. While registering, I happened to notice that the time given by the site (even with UTC+5.30), is incorrect.

I believe, even though the site displays UTC + 5.30, the site is automatically clocking at UTC.

I am not a computer wiz, but it might be a bug.

I hope that Site Administrators will kindly take a note of this phenomenon.

Regards.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

Jagan wrote:
jamwal wrote:Is it possible to have the text in BR logo in Devnagri script ?
only if someone with the graphics skills volunteers to make one.
In my humble opinion, the logo should be left at its present state, so that when English speaking foreigners, who reads our motto, should get curious enough as to enquire about its meaning...

Regards.
Last edited by Anoop. A. on 23 Nov 2009 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

KrishG wrote:
Jagan wrote:
Jagan, please let me know if I can be of any help in resurrecting the 'Space' section. Whatever the info you would like, I am petty sure I can get it.
Rahul M wrote:animesh, BR had a couple of steady and quite standard web periodicals for some time.
articles from these two have been sited at many important security commentaries.

BR Monitor
and
Security Research Review

SRR is currently being resurrected (well for about a year now) by n^3 ji. the main reason why these two excellent journals went out was that some of the enthusiastic people moved on and the new crop (which means us) haven't been able to pick up the mantle.

if you want to know how that is progressing, have a look at this thread : http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=1&t=4188

at the end of the day, to publish journals you need articles. if you think you can contribute, write down an article, send it to the editor for peer review and if it is accepted you will find your name among the hallowed list of authors ! :D
I would like to extend my whole hearted cooperation regarding the upgrading/editing of the Bharat Rakshak space section as well as writing articles for the periodicals. If I am needed, please let me know.

Regards.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

My evil 6th cousin (E6C) who "runs" that (more like "sleeps" that) says that the term "periodical" is a misnomer. It's more "randomical", in that your articles get published, with a Paper Number and time of publication, whenever they are ready for publication. This is, after all, the Age of the Internet.

The "Volume Number" etc. are just to give warm happy feelings to those who want "periodicals".

So, the message is, write the articles, send them in. They get published (well... after nominal review) and then the whole Duniya can come and compliment you on it at the BLOG and you can be famous.

See recent Paper by S.Sastry for a recent example.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

enqyoob wrote:My evil 6th cousin (E6C) who "runs" that (more like "sleeps" that) says that the term "periodical" is a misnomer. It's more "randomical", in that your articles get published, with a Paper Number and time of publication, whenever they are ready for publication. This is, after all, the Age of the Internet.

The "Volume Number" etc. are just to give warm happy feelings to those who want "periodicals".

So, the message is, write the articles, send them in. They get published (well... after nominal review) and then the whole Duniya can come and compliment you on it at the BLOG and you can be famous.

See recent Paper by S.Sastry for a recent example.
Sir,

Your E6C might have a point. In the internet era posting an article in e-print might not have a " wow effect " any more and usage of volume number, date, time of publication, might just be a formaility.

But, usage of a simple word, gives prestige & value, to both article & the writer. The word periodical adds new dimensions to the sentence " Hey, i got my article published (in a periodical)!!!". It also gives the imperssion that the Publisher is a highly respected, well circulated edition and the author and his article had the requisite quality to be in one of their editions.

On a sincere note : It's not about getting famous, but I'll be extremely proud, if what i write, gets published in BR Monitor and Security Research Review.

Regards.
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Do we have a thread dedicated to Armed forces memorials , if so , does anyone have the link to it as I cannot find it.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

AFAIK , you only have a army history thread
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^^

+

The IAF History Thread

Profiles in Heroism: Archive

lastly, why do people skip the "forum feedback thread" and ask a forum related question on "main site feedback" ? :-?

I'm really curious.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

The link for Ordnance Factory Board on the missle page<http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MISSILES/>
links to http://ofbindia.com/

It should be http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Rakesh / Maz

Please take care of the launch of the Vaibhav (Clicky). This is the third and final of class.

The earlier launch of the Vijit, second of class, also needs to be taken care of (TOI)

Both are vessels of the Coast Guards Vishwast Class OPV's.

Then there is also the launch of the second of the Navys Saryu Class NOPV, Sunayna to take care of (NOPV)
VijayKumarSinha
BRFite

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Post by VijayKumarSinha »

I am not able to access the 'Brahmos phase II: Deadline for land set' news item on Bharat Rakshak or the expressbuzz website: http://www.expressbuzz.com/

Is it just me?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Since the forum feedback thread has been locked, I'm posting my suggestion here.

Why not start a separate thread where one can list the highlights of the year 2009 in India's defence arena? It could be a repository where one can post links to events/developments that happened in 2009 - which can can be locked after a certain period.

What says?
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

The BR Navy site on the INS Viraat mentions that the AK230 CIWS guns have been replaced with the Barak system.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Ship ... iraat.html

But this latest picture from the President's day at sea suggests that there is at least 1 AK-series CIWS present on the starboard side. There could be one on the port side too? Any pics confirming this? Should the BR page be updated to reflect this?

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 7.jpg.html

There seems to be a clear trend that the Indian Navy wants a missile-gun combo as the CIWS, as we have seen with the Barak+AK-series on the Delhi class, et al and the Kashtan on the Talwars, et al.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Dmurphy wrote:Since the forum feedback thread has been locked, I'm posting my suggestion here.

Why not start a separate thread where one can list the highlights of the year 2009 in India's defence arena? It could be a repository where one can post links to events/developments that happened in 2009 - which can can be locked after a certain period.

What says?
good idea, start one. it will be open till 1st Jan end, India time.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Thanks RM! My first inauguration! Though a 1st of Jan deadline seems too small a time to let it grow.
anuj
BRFite

Post by anuj »

This is post of rahulji's from the "new-members/lurkers" thread.
Rahul M wrote:you might not know this but we already use a very advanced made to order SW (not available commercially) that shows a very different page when non-members/users from outside India log in.

they see something like this : LINK
I know i've hit and run but still...
Just curious. Are there any limitations or restrictions on this forum for lurkers elsewhere in the world?

Got this when i tried through a proxy.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

anuj, that post was meant to be a joke. about proxies, yes they are banned to prevent people from using duplicate IDs.

p.s. I see a BR addict browsing there ! :mrgreen:
Walker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Walker »

The link for General Deepak Kapoor is a dead link

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Today.html
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Please note that this thread is NOT for forum feedback. A separate thread exists for that and will be reopened in a few days.

The two OT posts (regarding an India-Canada Thread) will be moved there at that time.