LCA news and discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA news and discussion

Post by shiv »

LCA Trainer First flight sucessful!!! AoA Landed 5 MIN AGO :D :D :D

Pilots:
Gp Capt Tyagi
Air Cmdr Verma

Time now 1-45 PM IST

Need beer with lunch
sombhat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sombhat »

Will settle for pictures and videos instead of chapatis and dal for tonight's supper.
arya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by arya »

shiv wrote:LCA Trainer First flight sucessful!!! AoA Landed 5 MIN AGO :D :D :D

Pilots:
Gp Capt Tyagi
Air Cmdr Verma

Time now 1-45 PM IST

Need beer with lunch
:D
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Waiting for the pictures to arrive ,cheers to all who will be having beer party tonite :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Venu
BRFite

Post by Venu »

Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Heh heh - I beat Ajai Shukla to it :D
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Can some one tell me what additional test they would be conducting during FOC phase of Tejas , which will not be covered during IOC ?
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Congrats for First successful test flight of Twin seat LCA. :D :lol:

Can someone explain what does flight envelope of 1.4 Mach mean .... it is from 17th report from the STANDING COMMITTEE ON DEFENCE (2006-2007) (FOURTEENTH LOK SABHA) MoD
Currently, two TDs and two prototype vehicles (PVs) are undergoing flight evaluation and a cumulative of 567 flights have been completed as of end Oct 06 covering a flight envelope of 1.4 Mach and 15 Km altitude.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Austin wrote:Can some one tell me what additional test they would be conducting during FOC phase of Tejas , which will not be covered during IOC ?
I second that. Will it be just endurance and sustained operations which will be tested? Will they come up with some kind of maintenace schedules handbook? what nuts to tighten and tested - between two successive prolonged flights?

What about electronic counter measures, flying it in airspace crowded with electronic clutter? simulating enermy environment?

Testing of Guns on a lakshya? flares and other counter measures?
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Congrats India for achieving this milestone. :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

Cant wait to see this beauty.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Where are the pics ?????????????????? I'm waiting! :D :D
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Austin wrote:Can some one tell me what additional test they would be conducting during FOC phase of Tejas , which will not be covered during IOC ?
Don't really know :mrgreen: but let me speak out of my musharraf :rotfl:

Probably qualify it will all cleared stores for the full flight profile cleared. Maybe even test stores configuration not tested fully for the complete cleared flight profile, especially unsymmetrical loads.
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

I have the images. Am trying to post them onto my page ndtv.com/vishnu

Run into some tech problems. Pics too heavy.

Will get them up if I can ASAP

Vishnu Som
Associate Editor and Senior Anchor
NDTV
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

TEJAS TRAINER MAKES SUCCESSFUL MAIDEN FLIGHT

Two seater (Trainer) version of Tejas (PV-5) made its maiden flight on 26 Nov 09. The flight took off from HAL,Airport at 1300 hrs. The successful maiden flight covered an altitude of 9km and Mach number 0.85. The prototype was flown by Gp Capt Ritu Raj Tyagi of the National Flight Test Centre (NFTC). Air Cmde Rohit Varma, Project Director (Flight Test) flew in the rear cockpit. Wg Cdr (Retd) PK Raveendran, Group Director (Flight Test) was the Test Director. Extensive preparatory work that has gone in resulted in the first flight profile being executed with clock work precision. All the objectives set out for the flight were achieved and all the systems on board the new prototype performed well through out the sortie.

Successful flight of Tejas trainer is a major milestone for Tejas programme and a significant achievement for all the stake holders in the programme, which include ADA, HAL, NAL, ADE, CEMILAC, DGAQA, Indian Air Force and Indian Navy. With the Tejas scheduled to be cleared for Initial Operations with the Indian Air Force by end 2010, successful maiden flight of Tejas trainer has given a fillip to the programme. The trainer when fully developed will have the full operational capability from the rear cockpit as well. As Tejas Trainer has a lot of commonality with Tejas Naval version, even Tejas Navy programme would see accelerated progress as a result of the successful first flight.

As the first flight coincided with the programme review by the Air Force, the historic event was witnessed by Air Mshl NV Tyagi, AVSM, VM, VSM, who was the Chairman of the Review Committee along with Mr Ashok Nayak, Chairman, HAL, Chief Controller, DRDO Dr D Banerjee and Mr PS Subramanyam, Programme Director (Combat Aircraft) & Director, ADA.a
karthik
BRFite

Post by karthik »

Vishnu wrote:I have the images. Am trying to post them onto my page ndtv.com/vishnu

Run into some tech problems. Pics too heavy.

Will get them up if I can ASAP

Vishnu Som
NDTV

I cant wait to see it, is there an video too! I dont know if you remember but i once messaged you on FB requesting you to do an documentary on why our defense projects are so slow and plagued with delays. I hope you get into it deeply and expose some of the short comings and bureaucracies slowing down the projects. It would be very interesting to see what exactly is going on and who are the people behind it.

Thanks.
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

The pictures are up on my page ndtv.com/vishnu

Please do join the page. I am trying to build this as a forum to occasionally have defence related chats and put up relevant information.

I would request all my BR friends to join in as Friend.

Vishnu Som
NDTV
SanjibGhosh
BRFite

Post by SanjibGhosh »

Vishnu wrote:The pictures are up on my page ndtv.com/vishnu

Please do join the page. I am trying to build this as a forum to occasionally have defence related chats and put up relevant information.

Vishnu Som
NDTV
Thanks Vishnu for posting this.

Here Ajay Shukla also update his blog ..
http://ccms/cqweb/main?command=Generate ... 145f7ba1af

Thanks,
-Sanjib
karthik
BRFite

Post by karthik »

Vishnu wrote:The pictures are up on my page ndtv.com/vishnu

Vishnu Som
NDTV
Can we have the link?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

From ADA website

LCA-Tejas has completed 1227 Test Flights successfully. (26-Nov-09).
LCA has completed 1227 Test Flights successfully
(TD1-233,TD2-305,PV1-227,PV2-128,PV3-177,LSP1-54,LSP2-102,PV5-1).
1st flight of Tejas PV5 occurred on 26th Nov 09.

Two seater (Trainer) version of Tejas(PV-5) made its maiden flight on 26 Nov 09. (pdf)

http://www.ada.gov.in/DSC_0064.JPG
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

A real Thanksgiving gift by the folks at DRDO to jingos 8) :D
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

the dsc_0064 is sooo slow! awesome news!..

NLCA must make the real move now, once the engines are selected.

Wish, K-II (90-95kN wet) is sent soon to Russia.. so that we don't have to keep revisiting on this core..
selecting 100kN (414)or more for LCA would be a problem for KII.. and IAF will simply reject it.
SagarP
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SagarP »

Carrying Missiles on maiden flight....shows confidence....Kudos to all involved!!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

which missile?
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

Excellent News for the weekend 8). Congratulations for all involved. Time to open up few old bottles.
SagarP
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SagarP »

SaiK wrote:which missile?
a couple of R-73..
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

SagarP wrote:Carrying Missiles on maiden flight....shows confidence....Kudos to all involved!!
When has a LCA not flown with those two R-73 dummy missiles? Those two missiles seem to be regulars for most flight tests. I've yet to see LCA pictures without those dummy R-73 missiles.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

srai wrote:
SagarP wrote:Carrying Missiles on maiden flight....shows confidence....Kudos to all involved!!
When has a LCA not flown with those two R-73 dummy missiles? Those two missiles seem to be regulars for most flight tests. I've yet to see LCA pictures without those dummy R-73 missiles.
Sir you are wrong on this matter ,here is the kodak moment from Tejas LSP-2 first flight

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

karan sahab, image not visible.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Rahul M wrote:karan sahab, image not visible.
i donot know i can see it

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn97 ... -lsp-2.jpg
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

it still says "iiyama_1's account inactive for 90 days".

may be you can upload on imageshack and gve us a link ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

SagarP wrote:
SaiK wrote:which missile?
a couple of R-73..
Are they? I have not seen the picture/s, but I do recall that on their first flights it was reported that such "missiles" were actually sensors for data collection.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rahul M wrote:it still says "iiyama_1's account inactive for 90 days".

may be you can upload on imageshack and gve us a link ?

When I rightclick (in Linux) and select "View Image) I can see it. It is a singe seat yellow painted LCA with no stores undrwing.

But it is not flying no? :lol: (sorry - couldn't resist that)
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

I am using windows 7 ultimate and firefox i can see picture ,i will reload it later, its clean lsp-2 on ground just before its first flight with no r-73
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

ok found some other link

DRDO LINK http://www.drdo.org/dpi/tejas.htm

SagarP
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SagarP »

NRao wrote: Are they? I have not seen the picture/s, but I do recall that on their first flights it was reported that such "missiles" were actually sensors for data collection.
Here is the pic LCA PV5 Trainer... and i guess you are right sir, these are just mock-ups or sensors...

Cheers
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

Tejas to fly on indigenous Kaveri engine next year: Official

The city-based Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE), which is indigenously developing various types of aero engines, would be fitting its flagship product Kaveri engine to the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) 'Tejas' in the next one year.

Disclosing this to reporters at the 23rd convention of aerospace engineers here GTRE Director T Mohana Rao said the establishment had overcome all obstacles and one of the engines, originally built for the LCA was taken to Russia for testing. Once it passes the test another engine would be shipped later for flying test, he said.

He said the engine would be ready by March or April next year and it will be fully ready for integration in one year's time. ''We are also looking to develop a marine version of Kaveri engine and Indian Navy would be our working partners. This includes financial participation. Indian Navy is working with us for Kaveri marine project,'' he said.

The naval version would be co-designed by the two organisations and it would have low-pressure compressor and turbine.

GTRE was also looking at developing small gas turbine engines for unmanned aircraft.

''We are ready to develop any type of gas turbine engines for the country. There are lots of other projects in the offing,'' Mr Rao added.

He said GTRE's bid to find a joint venture partner was yet to be finalised as it was expecting the final sanction from the government. ''We had shortlisted 'Snecma' of France for the JV, but we have not started the work yet as some government approvals are still pending. Indian Air Force and DRDO would have to approve the JV,'' he said.
http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstyp ... sid=157679
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

SagarP wrote:
NRao wrote: Are they? I have not seen the picture/s, but I do recall that on their first flights it was reported that such "missiles" were actually sensors for data collection.
Here is the pic LCA PV5 Trainer... and i guess you are right sir, these are just mock-ups or sensors...

Cheers
at the nascent stage of LCA project the outboard R-60's (later R-73 ?) were used to minimise wing flutter.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

sanjaychoudhry wrote:
He said GTRE's bid to find a joint venture partner was yet to be finalised as it was expecting the final sanction from the government. ''We had shortlisted 'Snecma' of France for the JV, but we have not started the work yet as some government approvals are still pending. Indian Air Force and DRDO would have to approve the JV,'' :x :(( he said.
http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstyp ... sid=157679
I think i heard this snecma JV in 2007,not sure, and still it is not cleared by IAF and DRDO...

WTH they are waiting for.. :?: