RIP B Harry (1983-2007)

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Bob V
BRFite

Re: RIP B Harry

Post by Bob V »

RIP Harry.
Never had the faintest idea that the persona behind this avatar was all of 23 years. May your soul rest in peace.
My deepest condolences to the bereaved family.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

This is indeed sad news. Even more sad to learn how young he was at the time of his passing. RIP.
Amitava
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amitava »

We'll miss you B Harry.

Never ever thought those articles were from such a young pen.

May your soul rest in peace.
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

RIP B Harry!!! You have accomplished more in defence journalism in your brief 23 years than most of your peers. Speaks of your caliber and how rare a gift you were to BR. My late condolences to all your family and may your atma find its moksha.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

kit wrote:A great talent , Rahul., if ever there was one !
indeed ! to think that he wrote an article like the radiance of tejas when he was 20-21 ! it's unbelievable !
many of those articles have been written at an even younger age !

about the news, yes it does look as if this sad news is true. MadhuG, who was his batchmate posted it here, in page 1.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

RIP B Harry :(
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

When i turned 21, with moist :cry: I humbly remembered Second Lt. Arun Kheterpal who at a same age showed an exceptional example of an unparalleled bravery and sacrifice for the service of the nation.

Dear Mr Harry, wherever you are, I feel that you deserve to be in the same Hall of fame as Arun Kheterpal, though your way of serving the nation was quite distinct but you had the same guts and same single minded dedication to serve this nation in your own way.

May the Almighty send you back again in between us mortals, so that a lot of us can really get inspired to do whatever it takes for the sake of our Motherland.

Jai Hind.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

What a loss
May your transition be peaceful
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

RIP.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

:cry: Shocking. His articles and graphics were always top notch
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I couldn't believe this. Very shocking indeed.

Harry, RIP. You were superb.
Nirantar
BRFite

Post by Nirantar »

R.I.P Harry Ji, though I did not read you much earlier but from the articles posted by Rahul M, no doubt you earned so much knowledge at such a small age. Truly unforgettable. A genius.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

RIP, sir...

23 years and such amazing articles!!! Really gives a inferiority complex to others. :shock: :cry:
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Really Sad! This is something none of us can believe... Harry B gone forever. I had even emailed him to ask permission for using some of his excellent images on Wiki. Hadn't got a reply.

Guys like him are almost impossible to find... they just shoot up from nowhere. We'll miss him.

Harry B will live forever. RIP Harish Balaji Kannan.
dipak
BRFite

Post by dipak »

Any death is a tragic loss of life. But in Harry's case, this is much more than that.

What a prodigy and what a talent! Imagine the quality of defense reporting India could see only if he had lived longer.

But even at this young age - he will be "survived" by his quality work. My heartfelt condolence to the bereaved family.

RIP.
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Shocking news indeed. I always enjoyed his articles and posts on acig & ezboard. An artist and a prolific writer at such a young age. His work masked his age. Deepest condolence to his family.

RIP Brother Harry.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

I am depressed, I dont know what to say
except
"Doth God exact day labour, light denied?"
RIP sir and thanks
Manish Jain
BRFite

Post by Manish Jain »

Thank you Harry for the great work you did. You'll be missed.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

anuj wrote:Im rather new to this board and do not know who harry was. But reading the condolences messages tells me he was someone who contributed a lot. 23 fu@king years!! Watch my faith fade away.
Anuj, Harry was one of the most knowledgeable posters on BRF. those were easily the best years of this forum, if I may say so. there were posters like Harry, Nitin, George J who were very authoritative sources of information on Indian defence.

I was in college myself in those days and new to BRF although I used to lurk without registering for several years- and used to simply marvel at how well informed Harry was. The pictures he posted, the information he gave, it was just such a big loss to not have him posting on BRF. In those days, if you were a noob, you kept quiet until you knew what you were talking about, else you'd lose face in no time with Harry, Nitin or GJ putting you in your place with their knowledge and their arguments. I used to wonder on several occasions when I'd read garbage posted on BRF how someone like him would stop coming to BRF and let it go down so many notches, but now I know that it was for a reason that was beyond anyone's control. :(

oh and he was a super patriotic chap..even now you can google Harry and you'll see just how many Paki and Chinese posters he shred to pieces when they spewed forth their bile on Indian defence matters. and no one could really argue with the guy because he knew what he was talking about. This is a huge loss for all of us. The guy would've gone on to become something major in life, such talent he had. I guess it just confirms that one can never understand why things happen the way they do.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Re: Farewell to a Friend

Post by Kartik »

Tom Cooper wrote:I've been missing Harry these two years very much. We have been in regular contact and then he kind of stopped answering at once. Naively, I believed he finally found a job he was hoping to find, and might be too busy, so I didn't insist.

Sincerely, the news about his premature death caused a shock and I feel them as a terrible blow.

I would be thankful if somebody could kindly forward my most sincere condolensces and deep sorrow over his loss to the family.
Tom, you're from ACIG.org aren't you ? I think I've seen your name there..
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

vcsekhar wrote:This is very sad news.
I have been a passive participant on BR for a long time and have come across Harry's name many times in ref to his articles. I have read most of his articles that are quoted on the forum.
I used his name as a reference in a post on BRF (remembering something he said more than 3 years ago) to state that the LCA had self-diagnostic systems on board- and the very next day we got to know that he was no more and that he was just 23. Imagine my shock ! and such was his reputation, that when you could show that Harry had said something, you knew it was stuff to be taken seriously.
I was very surprised at his age, I too have been interested in military aviation for many years (since I was less than 10 years old) and have read all the books I could find on mil aviation. However, He really put things together from an indian perspective in his articles and put me straight on the LCA. I had read too many articles in the major papers about how bad the program was etc etc...
and unfortunately, for every 1 Harry, EDITED.
I now have a much better perspective on the project and was also able to interact with many people involved on the LCA development and gotten a better idea on the project and the problems that were faced throughout that most people do not know about. We need more people like him who can write good articles and publish them in the general media so that the general public is better informed about the state of our own projects. A great injustice is being done by our so called journalists (DDM ???) who run down indian achievements to further their own and outside arms developer agendas. Let us hope that some of the more knowledgeable people here take up the challenge and write some good articles like Harry and get them published in the popular newspapers.
Harry was dedicated to an extent that is rare to find. I thought I could contribute a bit, by writing something for BR but can't find time to do any meaningful research before I write- compare that to Harry- the guy was prolific ! detailed articles with in-depth technical details and excellent pictures. his ACIG.org articles are treasure troves of info on Indian defence. to find someone of his calibre and his dedication, will be very very hard.

He was already missed and will be missed in the future for sure. My sincere condolence to his family. Although this is so late in the day.[/quote]
Last edited by Jagan on 29 Dec 2009 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: A thoughtful post, but lets keep this focussed on Harry.
soumik
BRFite

Post by soumik »

harry was an inspiration he would have been about my age had he lived today,Thoughi never knew him in real life and have probably never interacted with him either . his quality as a writer and defence journo is apparent to me from the articles written by him. RIP harry you will be missed.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

My Salute for Harry.

"Its better to burn brightly for few seconds than to smoulder for a decade."

Radiance of your brilliant work will last forever and will always keep your memory alive.
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

I can't believe he was so young! What a loss. Condolences to his family.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

Please tell me this is not true.. :(
Vishnu
BRFite

Post by Vishnu »

This is very sad news indeed. My condolences.

Vishnu
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

:(
RIP Harish

Really truly a big loss for all of us.

I still go back to the ACIG Aero India Pages which were created by him for reference materials.

It was his Vayu article on LCA that I tried to memorize by rote before visiting to ADA/ADE/HAL, nearly all my conversations started with "B.Harry in Vayu said this about the LCA........." Nearly everyone was familiar with the article so everyone was comfortable talking about the LCA from the B.Harry Article POV.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

I missed seeing this thread for days!

Oh my God, what an immeasurable loss! I feel for his parents. :( :( I always had a sense that Harry was a fellow IITM grad, but I thought he was much older than 23! His writings exuded wisdom and knowledge beyond his youth.

We lost two of my classmates at IITM, both of whom were in top-50 JEE ranks, before they could graduate and make the world a better place. I can still remember how heart rending it was for the parents. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for Harish's kin! :( :(

More than his defense knowledge, the loss of a precious young life is just tragic!

May he get moksha!
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

R I P Harry.
ajay_hk
BRFite

Post by ajay_hk »

A very tragic and shocking news! Sir, although many of us didnt know you personally, the amount of grief thats causing just goes to show the kind of impact you had. Your work would put most of the so called Indian defence journalists to shame. That too at the age of 23? Hats off to you. May a 1000 Harry's bloom. Mother India needs you.

Sincere condolences to the family. RIP Sir.
Tom Cooper
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Tom Cooper »

Kartik wrote:Tom, you're from ACIG.org aren't you ? I think I've seen your name there..
Yes, I am.

Harry was very active on ACIG.org since at least 2001. Back then the times were different and most of the people depending on reports based on copy-pasting of what other people wrote from their offices. Harry was one of few to take the challenge and go places, shot photos, talk with people and see things with his own eyes. He first visited several defence fairs, but before very long was already to be found even on board one of INI aircraft carriers and in plenty of similar places. Initially, I was simply amazed at his reports, since I had no clue how he managed to get to some places. But I know very well that Indian air force and navy servicemen soon began to appreciate his work very much. He obtained such knowledge in certain areas that I had no problem to think he's "busy elsewhere" when I've got no replies to my e-mails to him.

I'm really far from idealizing somebody or something. But Harry was a gifted researcher and journalist, superseeding life-time work of not few others within just a few years of his activity. Though, it's not only his reporting that is missing. I still have a problem to accept Harry is no more...
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

RIP brother harry. It is very tragic to see one of our own very talented pass away at such a young age. From the photograph he looks very lean and healthy and it is impossible to believe that heart-attack is even possible. His contributions will be remembered for a long long time to come.
:cry:
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

RIP Harish.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Tom Cooper wrote: Back then the times were different and most of the people depending on reports based on copy-pasting of what other people wrote from their offices. Harry was one of few to take the challenge and go places, shot photos, talk with people and see things with his own eyes. ...
This is quite apt. couldnt have said it better myself.
MadhuG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MadhuG »

Harish graduated from Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering.
Rangudu wrote:... had a sense that Harry was a fellow IITM grad...
Last edited by MadhuG on 31 Dec 2009 07:41, edited 2 times in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Tom Cooper wrote:
Kartik wrote:Tom, you're from ACIG.org aren't you ? I think I've seen your name there..
Yes, I am.

Harry was very active on ACIG.org since at least 2001. Back then the times were different and most of the people depending on reports based on copy-pasting of what other people wrote from their offices. Harry was one of few to take the challenge and go places, shot photos, talk with people and see things with his own eyes. He first visited several defence fairs, but before very long was already to be found even on board one of INI aircraft carriers and in plenty of similar places. Initially, I was simply amazed at his reports, since I had no clue how he managed to get to some places. But I know very well that Indian air force and navy servicemen soon began to appreciate his work very much. He obtained such knowledge in certain areas that I had no problem to think he's "busy elsewhere" when I've got no replies to my e-mails to him.

I'm really far from idealizing somebody or something. But Harry was a gifted researcher and journalist, superseeding life-time work of not few others within just a few years of his activity. Though, it's not only his reporting that is missing. I still have a problem to accept Harry is no more...
Tom, some of his articles at acig have a number of dead links. if you could rectify that it will be great.
TIA.
Tom Cooper
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Tom Cooper »

Rahul M wrote:Tom, some of his articles at acig have a number of dead links. if you could rectify that it will be great.
TIA.
Sadly, yes. We have to move them to the new website during the next year.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I am shocked and saddened to read this news. Truly a great loss :cry:
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Harry,

Never thought this could happen to you. I cannot imagine what your family must be going through, but I wish that God
gives them the strength to bear this loss. Am immensely completely numbed by this news. I would probably be better
off not knowing about this, with the secret hope that you would come back at an opportune time. For your sake I
hope you have achieved Moksha, for India's sake I sincerely hope you comes back soon in another avatar. This is
easily one of the biggest losses to the cause of online Indian defence. While your articles are masterpieces, I
will always remember you for your no-nonsense posts on various forums, and for your swift and decisive jhapad(slap)
administration to all BS'ers. In my mind, your mystique will carry on as strongly and proudly as before, and will only increase with time.

God bless you.

:(