Indian Education System

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Education System

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

RamaY wrote: There is no way India can develop more than 5-10 premier institutes in a given field and reservations in those institutions will bringdown the national R&D quality and output. But I am against reservations, in principle, in elite education systems such as IIT/IISC/IIM/IIMS etc.
But if you are talking about research output, we have far fewer takers for research positions even among the general population, let alone, in SC/ST categories. This is what happens in the "elite" IITs and IISc. The money is more, and the people are less. So why not reservation when someone with a decent CV is willing to slog?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Fwiw I played Mr. Montek Singh Ahluwalia's inaugural speech in MIT a couple of times , now this guy is a smooth talker and knows his stuff and although the topic was more about Indian economy from what I gather he made a couple of interesting remarks about the Education sector. He said as per the Supreme court the private sector participation in the education sector is allowed as long as it is philanthropic in nature for the former does not see education sector as a profit making area.

I guess it is time to revisit such a policy/guideline and given our burgeoning population and increasing demand for skilled individuals in STEM as well as humanities I wonder if dependency on GOI alone as a facilitator of high education makes sense. I think with the increase in middle and upper middle class in India in recent years the concept of quality education albit at a appropriate costs definitely will have takers (just look at the number of students flying annually to destinations like US, Australia and EU , if these countries view these students and India as a market what stops us from doing so ?).

I am sure just like the Indian media if the education sector is opened up for private partnership/participation there would be at least a couple of major players in Industry who would be interested to tap this market. Accreditation ,compliance and other stuff can of course be handled by the relevant institutions.
Last edited by negi on 16 Jan 2010 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Stan_Savljevic wrote: So why not reservation when someone with a decent CV is willing to slog?
Stan I did not get your point do you mean to say if reservation would not have been there , there would have been more vacancies left in the said institutions ?
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

negi wrote: {Ahluwalia said] He said as per the Supreme court the private sector participation in the education sector is allowed as long as it is philanthropic in nature for the former does not see education sector as a profit making area.
A very odd comment from S.C. Did not know such stuff even existed. Education is clearly a profit-making proposition even today, starting from kindergarten (application fees + donations) all the way upto college education. Perhaps this directive applies to foreign participation only??
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:
RamaY wrote: There is no way India can develop more than 5-10 premier institutes in a given field and reservations in those institutions will bringdown the national R&D quality and output. But I am against reservations, in principle, in elite education systems such as IIT/IISC/IIM/IIMS etc.
But if you are talking about research output, we have far fewer takers for research positions even among the general population, let alone, in SC/ST categories. This is what happens in the "elite" IITs and IISc. The money is more, and the people are less. So why not reservation when someone with a decent CV is willing to slog?
Stan-ji,

The reason for far fewer takers for research positions, IMO, lies elsewhere. There is very little encouragement for critical thinking, from 1st standard to PeeEchDee. Even in most universities, students were not encouraged to pursue a body of knowledge and do research on it. On top of it the education system is viewed as a money making enterprise instead of a quest for knowledge.

The few who take up research positions, take them seriously and are valuable/successful, like a friend of mine. Even then the problem is that they are seen as professionally/economically unsuccessful in thier circles. A friend of mine holds 1 Engg degree, 2 MBAs, a Harvard Masters in Economic policy, a Phd in Finance and yet he is seen less successful than a MCA who is in massaland on H1 visa, because the former is buying a 30L apartment where as the later made a booking in Lanco Hills for 1 Cr apartment.

Coming back to your question; If there are very few takers for a research position, does it really matter if the SC/ST candidate uses his CV or Reservation-quota to get in? Why insulting that genuine SC/ST candidate by asking him to use quota when the institution is more than willing to take him in, in general category itself?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Srikumar I guess that is a case of unscrupulous elements defeating the system. Mr. Ahluwalia was answering a question asked by one of the RA'a/students from MIT about participation of private institutions in education sector, he obviously went by the book .Or if my understanding is flawed can someone clarify .

Srikumar don't know for sure but on paper 'donation' will qualify as 'philanthropy' , right ? :wink:

Speech: http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/705
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

negi wrote:Sibal is playing with fire

Hindi should be taught in all schools: Sibal

Once other contentious issues settle down I am sure any extra pressure or arm twisting from center on this gimmick will lead to another ruckus.
I think this is meant for the DPS type CBSE schools where students have the option to not learn a single Indian language.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

SriKumar wrote:
negi wrote: {Ahluwalia said] He said as per the Supreme court the private sector participation in the education sector is allowed as long as it is philanthropic in nature for the former does not see education sector as a profit making area.
A very odd comment from S.C. Did not know such stuff even existed. Education is clearly a profit-making proposition even today, starting from kindergarten (application fees + donations) all the way upto college education. Perhaps this directive applies to foreign participation only??
SriKumar,

Any officially recognised education* in India is officially a philantrophic nature. One is not officially allowed to profit from it. If you have seen schools giving two receipts and such, it is all due to this. "Donations" - doesnt the word ring a bell? It is off the books.

*means coaching institutes are out of it and I am not sure about their status.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

ravi_ku wrote:
SriKumar,

Any officially recognised education* in India is officially a philantrophic nature. One is not officially allowed to profit from it. If you have seen schools giving two receipts and such, it is all due to this. "Donations" - doesnt the word ring a bell? It is off the books.

*means coaching institutes are out of it and I am not sure about their status.
Anyone who's gone to school/college (or not) in India knows that the ground reality about education and profits is very different...whether it is on or off the books. I dont know the context in which Ahluwalia made that comment, but given how widespread donations are ('10 lakhs for engg, 80 lakhs for medical'), quoting that SC directive on education being philanthropic seems without purpose. The reality is that education is clearly a profit-making enterprise in India, irrespective of what the hon'able justices feel.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Srikumar,

Before any foreign person is officially allowed to profit from education, open it for Indians first/simultaneously and see the results.

What today you are seeing is the skewing of the education system because of that rule.

Regarding what the judges feel, a traffic constable/clerk is not allowed to take bribe, nor is a college allowed. But both are realties. But until the rule allowing profit in education is made, the judges are right and your feelings are wrong.

If and when the govt changes its rules, then if the judges make that statement, I will agree with you in contradicting the judges statement. Basically you are shouting at the wrong door. Shout at Ahluwali err MMS/govt to change the rule.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Before any foreign person is officially allowed to profit from education, open it for Indians first/simultaneously and see the results.
The above is a strawman. I never made any comment to the contrary. All I said that was that the comment by A (at a public event) was grossly mis-matched from ground realities.
If and when the govt changes its rules, then if the judges make that statement, I will agree with you in contradicting the judges statement
FYI, I did not contradict anyone's statement, Ahluwalia's or the judge's. In fact, I am quite sure that Ahluwalia is accurately quoting SC's position. It has now come to semantics and our discussion has run its useful course, IMHO.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Yay, hippeeee
The Centre on Monday told the Supreme Court that 44 institutions including the Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, founded by Union Minister S. Jagathrakshakan, would lose the deemed university status as they did not meet the standards. (After becoming Minister, Mr. Jagathrakshakan has not been associated with the management of the Balaji Dental College and Hospital, the Balaji Medical College and Hospital, the Bharat Institute of Science and Technology, the Bharat College of Nursing, the Bharat College of Physiotherapy, and the Sri Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences, Puducherry.)

The bulk of the 44 institutions are in Tamil Nadu: St. Peter’s Engineering College, Avadi; the Noorul Islam College of Engineering, Kumaracoil, Thuckalay; the Meenakshi Medical College and Research Institute, Kancheepuram, and other institutions run by this university; the Chettinad Hospital and Research Institute, Padur, the Chettinad College of Nursing; the Saveetha Dental College and Hospital; the Saveetha Medical College and Hospital and other institutions; the Arulmigu Kalasalingam College of Engineering, Virudhunagar; the Periyar Maniammai College of Technology, Thanjavur; the Academy of Maritime Education and Research, Chennai; Vel’s Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai; the Vel Tech Engineering College; the Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Pollachi; Vinayaka Mission’s Research Foundation, Salem, and the Balaji Vidyapeeth, Puducherry.
http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article82129.ece
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

^^^^
One of the above institutions is where I did my undergrad degree eons ago.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Saar, I have tons of friends from these places too. The issue is the case of "deemed university." As long as they were yet another engg college in the roster, not a big deal happened. There would be AICTE random surveys, random walk-ins, bribe attempts to get over obvious problems, warnings, force from netas to soften the warning reports, the whole rigmarole. When these "universities" acquired deemed university status, they all became island chains in their own cuckooland. What happens inside was kept inside due to claims to autonomy. At the end of the day, the students got a raw deal. And many of them are either the poorly informed or the informed but resigned to fate classes. Anyway, this saga is not over. These "deemed universities" can challenge the UGC and AICTE up to the Supreme Court and many will drag this shite for years, despite the affairs of these places being an open secret. There are many many more dubious ones that have escaped this time, I hope the JPR brand falls under the hammer soon with its ridiculous boys should nt talk to girls rules and what not. But I might as well be hoping for manna from heaven....

Tamil Nadu: Too many politician-run colleges
http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/tamil_na ... lleges.php
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

The true face of Arjun singh is revelaed, in the name of de-saffronisation the jholawallas in the media raised his profile and made him the messiah of secularism while he was making money giving out deemed university status to all and sundry institutes and imperiling student's future.

‘Under Arjun Singh, fake institutions got deemed varsity status’
Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

A nice article on VidyaGyan {from Shiv Nadar Foundation}. VidyaGyan:A new model for improving rural education
It is a good read because the article examines some of the pros and cons of such schools and thereby highlighting different aspects of the school that probably will not jump right at us - for example the adjustments students would have to make during the summer holidays. The people spearheading the school do not portray they have answers to all the questions - which is refreshing.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Pay in IITs, these are the latest figures:
PROFESSOR: Pay Band 4 (Rs.37400-67000) with AGP Rs.10,500/- : For direct recruits, minimum pay in the PB-4 to be fixed at Rs.48,000/-

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR : Pay Band 4 (Rs.37400-67000) with AGP Rs. 9,500/- : For direct recruits, minimum pay in the PB-4 to be fixed at Rs.42,800/-

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR : Pay Band 3 (Rs.15600-39100) with AGP Rs. 8,000/- : For direct recruits, minimum pay in the PB-3 to be fixed at Rs.30,000/-
Candidates not eligible for direct recruitment may be put on tenure track for the regular post of Assistant Professor. At the entry level they may be placed in Pay band – 3 of Rs.15600-39100 with AGP of Rs.6000/- with seven non-compounded advance increments (minimum starting pay of Rs.20140/-) shall move after 1 year to AGP of Rs.7000/- and after 3 years to AGP of Rs.8000/- with a minimum pay of Rs.30000/-

On completion of 3 years service as Assistant Professor, shall move to Pay Band – 4 (Rs.37400-67000) with an AGP of Rs.9000/-
The scale of pay along with approximate total emoluments at the bottom of scale, as of now, for the different posts are
Total emoluments
Post Scale of pay With House Rent Allowance Without House Rent Allowance
Professor
PB4 Rs.37400-67000 with AGP of Rs. 10,500/- Minimum pay Rs.48,000/-
Rs.95,909/- Rs.78,359/-

Associate Professor
PB4 Rs.37400-67000 with AGP Rs. 9500/- Minimum pay Rs.42,800/- Rs.86,175/- Rs.70,485/-

Assistant Professor
PB3 Rs.15600-39100 with AGP of Rs. 8000/- Minimum pay Rs.30,000/-
Rs.63,724/- Rs.52,324/-

Asssitant Professor (on contract)
PB3 Rs.15600-39100 with AGP of Rs. 6000/- Minimum pay Rs.20,140/-
Rs.45,104/- Rs.37,262/-
The posts carry allowances such as D.A., H.R.A. and transport allowance as per rules of the Institute which at present correspond to those admissible to Central Government employees stationed at Chennai.

Depending upon the qualifications and experience, higher starting salary may be offered in deserving cases.
OTHER SUPPORTS FOR PROFESSIONAL ADVANCEMENT OF FACULTY

• For candidates joining the Institute from abroad - Reimbursement of one way economy class airfare for travel subject to the condition that they serve the Institute for a minimum period of 3 years.

• Relocation allowance of Rs.25,000/- or actual, whichever is less, towards transportation of personal effects is also provided for candidates joining the Institute from abroad.

• Startup Grant of Rs.5 lakhs for carrying out research project of 3 years duration. Can be enhanced up to Rs.20 lakhs for Experimental Research.

• Reimbursement of telephone bills up to Rs.750/p.m. and STD facility for office telephone.

• A Cumulative Professional Development Allowance (CPDA) of Rs.3 lakhs for every block period of 3 years (Rupees one lakh per year) is made available to every member of the faculty on reimbursable basis to meet the expenses for participation in national and international conferences, payment of membership fee of professional bodies and contingent expenses.

• No limit on the attendance at International Conferenes without Institute financial assistance.

• Accommodation: On arrival may stay in Guest House upto a month on concessional rates and allotment of single bed room quarter on spot allotment basis subject to availability.

• The Institute encourages interaction of the faculty with industry, other research and professional institutions. Consultancy is encouraged at IIT Madras and liberal consultancy policies are in practice.

• Professional visits can be undertaken during vacation period for carrying out scientific research work.

• Flexible Sabbatical Leave facility.

• Facilities for Research and Development activities exist in all the Departments and Centres. These are being continuously modernized with contemporary equipment and services. Good facilities also exist for computing. The Institute has a well stocked library.

• Medical Insurance for cash-less. In-patient treatment and free Out-patient support in the well equipped Institute Hospital for Staff & dependants.

• Most of the day-to-day facilities are available on the Campus including banks, post office, small shopping center, schools (upto 12th standard), Crèche for children, well equipped hospital, sports facilities including a swimming pool and vast play-ground for field games. Cultural facilities include film clubs, Classical music societies, debating and drama, hobbies club and the Staff Club.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

• Permanent faculty positions are open to Indian Nationals, Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) and overseas citizens of India (OCI). Appointment of foreign nationals for fixed period on contract basis is permissible.

• Political and security clearance from Ministries of External Affairs and Home Affairs is necessary in every case for individuals with foreign passports.

• Reservation: Without any compromise on qualification, experience and competence, reservation as per Government of India rules is available. Necessary certificates must be enclosed with the application form.

• Candidates employed in Government and Semi-Government Organisations, Public Undertakings, University and Educational Institutions must apply through their present employers. If they anticipate unavoidable delay in their applications being forwarded through proper channel, they may submit advance copies of their applications directly to the Dean (Admn.), IIT Madras.

• Candidates are requested to send their application in the prescribed format only. Also ensure that separate application for each department/post if applying for more than one.

• The Institute reserves the right to fill or not fill any or all the posts advertised.

• The Institute reserves the right to restrict the number of candidates for interview to a reasonable limit on the basis of qualifications and experience higher than the minimum prescribed in the advertisement and other academic achievements.

• The invitation to candidate for interview merely indicates that it is felt that he/she with others may be suitable for the post and conveys no assurance whatsoever that he/she will be recommended or selected or his/her conditions specified in the application will be accepted.

• The Institute reserves the right to screen and call only such candidates as are found prima-facie suitable for being considered by the Selection Committee. Thus, just fulfilling the prescribed conditions would not entitle one to be called for interview.

• No correspondence whatsoever will be entertained from candidates regarding reason for not being called for interview / outcome of interview.

• The Institute may consider candidates whose area of specialization lie outside those stated herein, provided these persons have an outstanding record.

• Outstation candidates called for personal interview will be paid economy airfare by the shortest route.

• The candidate is responsible for the correctness of the information provided in the application. If it is found at a later date that any information given in the application is incorrect / false the candidature / appointment is liable to be cancelled / terminated.

• Candidates can get in touch with the Head of the concerned Department for additional information.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Pay Band 3 (Rs.15600-39100)
What is this band about? the high end of it is over twice the low end. Is it safe to assume that a new recruit would be getting about mid-way (INR 27350)?
Pardon my ignorance, what does AGP stand for? is housing included?
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

AGP == “Academic Grade Pay”
In one line, AGP is something you get to tip the balance over basic pay so that people in PB3 in other GoI institutions dont get pissed off with you for drawing a higher salary at the PB3 level. The something you will "miss" is in terms of phone allowances, size of house you can be allotted in Govt accommodation, etc. HRD and DA are separate. See, for example, http://www.ugc.ac.in/more/pressnote.pdf (if you are looking for a short explanation) and http://ugcprc.blogspot.com/ (for more rambling).

Let me put this crudely, there is some kinda soft discrimination between new hires with PhD from big-name universities in the US, Oirope and IISc (with a serious push from references), PhD from other furrin countries, and PhD from other universities that seem promising enough to be hired. The high end to low end goes from class 1 to class 3. Massa-based folk should be bargaining at the high end and will be "expected" to bargain at the high end. Some piskology of bargaining.

PS: edit...
Last edited by Stan_Savljevic on 22 Jan 2010 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Please do forward. TIA.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Oops, realized that all of them are public info. Has a gold mine of info on the no of ph.d.'s and other statistics that will interest interested parties...
http://alumni.iitm.ac.in/admin1.ppt
http://alumni.iitm.ac.in/admin2.pdf
http://alumni.iitm.ac.in/admin3.pdf
http://alumni.iitm.ac.in/admin4.pdf
http://alumni.iitm.ac.in/research.ppt
The first grand challenge: building some irreverence to promote the questioning attitude

The second grand challenge: creating an innovation ecosystem in which questioning attitude and healthy irreverence can grow

The third grand challenge: creating truly innovative scientists, who see what every one else sees but think of what no one else thinks

The fourth grand challenge: ability to pose, rather than merely solve the problem

The fifth grand challenge: creating new mechanisms by which out of the box thinking will be triggered.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

How religion plays politics even in the deemed university business....
Ministries battle it out over Nalanda varsity
Culture Ministry wants deemed status restored
Aditi Tandon
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, January 21: A decision by the Union Human Resource Development Ministry to revoke deemed university status to Nava Nalanda Mahavihara, Bihar, the premier Buddhist research institution with 125 foreign students on its rolls, has taken the Prime Minister-headed Culture Ministry by surprise. The two wings of the government were now set to clash on the issue, with the Culture Ministry today making it clear that it would not allow the dilution of the Mahavihara, a move that would, as per sources, hurt Buddhist sentiments and India’s goodwill in South-East Asia. Mahavihara was one of the three government-funded deemed universities declared unfit for the status.

“We have referred the matter to the Prime Minister and will also write to the HRD Ministry. The issue involves sentiments of Buddhists, those interested in Pali and dedicated to Theravada school of Buddhism,” sources in the Culture Ministry, which funds the Mahavihara, said. The university is acclaimed for instructions in Pali and Theravada school of Buddhism, considered the closest to early Buddhism. It, however, is most credited for publishing the first Pali-Hindi dictionary, whose first volume was released by the President in 2007 when India was observing the 2050th Mahaparnirvana of Lord Buddha.

That apart, the Ministry of Culture is most concerned about Mahavihara’s future considering it recently set up the Xuan Zang — seventh century Chinese traveller who studied at Nalanda — memorial here in collaboration with the China. “The Chinese foreign and religious minister and our top dignitaries attended the inaugural of the memorial… A diplomatic question is involved here,” sources said, adding everything possible would be done to ensure the university did not lose its repute and foreign students’ interests were safeguarded. Interestingly, PN Tandon, who headed the HRD review committee and recommended revocation of deemed status to the Mahavihara, was also a member of the panel that had earlier approved the status for the university. “Now the committee wants us to revert to the same Magadh University whose poor academic standards had caused us to seek deemed status in the first place,” Mahavihara vice-chancellor R Panth said.

No ordinary centre

Set up in 1951, the Mahavihara was declared deemed in 2006
Has on its rolls 540 students, including 125 from Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand
Is credited with publishing first Pali-Hindi dictionary
7th century Chinese traveller Xuan Zang is associated with the centre
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100122/nation.htm#1
Uncertain fate awaits 86 more deemed varsities
http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/jan/ ... sities.htm
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

2050th Mahaparnirvana of Lord Buddha
- Have they revised the passing away of Buddha even further down the line? This date seems at least 300 years later than the "latest" conjectured date in the literature! Probably a simple typos - 2500 has become 2050. Still....the author of the article should have noticed!
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

don't know what thread to put it in so i'm putting it here.

Common touch draws stars to India literary festival

JAIPUR, India (AFP) - From extremely humble beginnings, the Jaipur Literary Festival in India has grown in just five years into a major event that attracts star writers by resolutely refusing to treat them as such.

The inaugural festival in 2006 gathered just 18 authors -- all Indian residents -- who drew a crowd of around 100 people, a fair number of whom "appeared to be tourists who had simply got lost," according to the event's co-director, the writer William Dalrymple.

The 2010 event, currently under way in Jaipur in the western desert state of Rajasthan, boasts more than 200 writers and performers, including the Nigerian Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka, two Booker winners and five holders of the Pulitzer prize for literature.

More than 20,000 people were expected to have crammed into the packed venue of the Diggi Palace -- a converted 19th century mansion in the centre of Jaipur -- by the time the five-day gathering ends Monday.

The explosive growth of the festival -- it now claims to be the largest and most prestigious of its kind in Asia -- has been achieved despite offering invited authors no financial incentive nor pampering them in the manner to which many are accustomed.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/100124/w ... s_festival
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

These were not deemed universities, but doomed universities. Yet, who should be held to blame for this mess?

Two of 44 failed deemed varsities were denied status initially
http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... epage=true
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

The Annual Status of Education Report, 2009, is out…pointing out yet again that what stands between rural girls and a good education is often basic facilities like transport and proper toilets…
http://beta.thehindu.com/opinion/column ... e91765.ece
Get the report from http://www.education.nic.in/secondary.htm
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

More shite on the way, I am sure... News is trickling bit by bit, so watch the melodramatic soap opera as it unfolds.
40 univs barely escaped losing deemed tag
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 496446.cms
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Stan from above
But the panel’s recommendations have already come in for some flak because they did not carry out a physical inspection of the facilities in any of the colleges.
Is this true ? From what I know usually the AICTE panel does visit Engg. colleges to renew their accreditation .
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

negi wrote:Stan from above
But the panel’s recommendations have already come in for some flak because they did not carry out a physical inspection of the facilities in any of the colleges.
Is this true ? From what I know usually the AICTE panel does visit Engg. colleges to renew their accreditation .
I know that AICTE panel goes to the "doomed" university that is looking forward to re-accredition. In 99.99% of the cases, this visit is well-known in advance, so the said "doomed" university will bring in people from other places overnight and fill the setting to mock-show a working university. The mandate of the AICTE accreditation panel is to figure if such tricks are going on, and that is where political pressure comes in. Most of these "doomed" universities, at least in TN, enjoy super-political patronage, like the various TV channels in Tam land. JPR (noone knows how many p's and r's come in his name :P and who was close to MGR and now Amma) runs Satyabhama, Inc. Jagathrakshakan runs BIST, Inc., etc. Daaktar ayya now is whining about how these "doomed" universities have destroyed TN and wants to nationalize them [sic], but he and his party run the Vanniar Education Trust (another "doomed" university) over which Arcot Veerasamy and Daaktar ayya had a spat a couple of years back and pulled out of alliance. Wont believe me, here you go: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/meanw ... ity/8178/0
And guess who was at the forefront of a mudslinging back and forth on "doomed" universities a couple of years back, none but our daaktar ayya & co: http://news.oneindia.in/2007/07/28/rama ... 11648.html

If you thought that was it, here you go: New Justice Party President A C Shanmugam's Dr MGR University, AIADMK MP Thambidurai's St Peter's University, DK's Veeramani run Periyar Maniammai Institute of Science and Technology, Thanjavur, AIADMK former minister Isari Velan's Vels University, etc., etc., and more.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/govs- ... s/569535/0

If you thought TN was a curse, it is spread all over the place. The three blacklisted institutions in Maharashtra are all associated with leaders of the ruling Congress or NCP. One of them, a medical college in Kolhapur, is controlled by the family of Tripura Governor D Y Patil.

It is fairly an open secret in TN that most of these run-of-the-mill universities are just choo__ universities with all kindsa buruda under the roof, and cheating students without providing them with an education worthy of their tuition fees. Nevertheless, who are going to lead the protest marches against the derecognition process: the very same students. Why? Well, they stand to lose out on getting a degree, and they have paid through their asses for the same. Will logic and reason explain a viewpoint to such people? No. So watch Kapil Sibal and the UGC panel get the stick for currently leading a system that can be raped, and watch those who raped it get away with hi-falutin bullshit. And certain morons who go by the name daaktar ayya will even sound hypocritical enough to be believable to their voting constituencies. If there is a haseena atimbum, drop it on each one's heads and wait till it explodes completely, then do a PS Veerappa laugh and walk off.
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

Why bother with this accreditation business. Make all institutions non-accredited only and let the market decide which ones are any good. Govt support should only be given to students/faculty not to the institutions. That way the good ones will become better and others will have to shape up or the students will take their money elsewhere.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well the issue is lack of equal info for everyone. lots of people from other parts of india do not have access to the "andaar ki baat" of pvt colleges which a clued in local/same state guy who knows alumni might know.

so it cannot be just left to the market.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Vriksh wrote:Why bother with this accreditation business.
Because a degree from an accredited university will pass muster under the Bologna Accord, by which a student educated under an AICTE accredited university or "deemed to be university" will get equivalent access to EU. Similarly for US and elsewhere with the Washington Accord.
http://www.nba-aicte.ernet.in/about.html#q2

Make all institutions non-accredited only and let the market decide which ones are any good.
Makes sense if people want to stick back inside India forever with no scope for furrin travel, furrin jobs, or MNC hopes. Otherwise, one has to conform to standards, often internationally accepted standards. Even the equivalence with the Bologna Accord came after much of a fight, so one who has fought to win respect should also fight to maintain the respect and dignity that goes with a de rigeur standard. Else we will be like two bit countries such as pakistan.

Govt support should only be given to students/faculty not to the institutions. That way the good ones will become better and others will have to shape up or the students will take their money elsewhere.

The grants given to institutions are for making them excel in a broad sense. Mainly used in building infra, or equipments, or constructing certain "new" areas, or computer, or library facilities, etc. There are grants available for individual professors either as a team or stand-alone. These are usually meant for research on various topics. Much of the research grant money meant for PhD students are not used fully due to lack of enough good quality PhD candidates who will do research. There is an excess of money for research in India, due to lack of numbers. There is less money for specific needs such as travel etc. But that is the only big constraint as far as I see. If one has the will to do stuff, there is more than enough institutional or governmental support. But yet, why are things the way they are? Ask yourselves.

From the UGC 2005-06 report on its website, you get this info:
To meet the goals and objectives of the X Plan, the UGC provides financial assistance to Central and Deemed to be Universities, both under Development (Plan) and Maintenance (Non-plan) Assistance under various schemes / programmes while assistance to State Universities is made available only under Development (Plan) Schemes / Programmes. The maintenance (Non-plan) assistance is being provided for meeting the recurring expenditure on salaries of teaching and non-teaching staff and for maintenance of laboratories, libraries, buildings as also for obligatory payments such as taxes, telephones, postage, electricity bills etc. The objective of Development Assistance is not only to improve the infrastructure and basic facilities in the Universities but also to develop excellence in certain identified areas.

The development assistance can be utilised for the consolidation of existing infrastructure and for modernizing teaching, research and administration as also for extension and for carrying out research activities to meet the changing needs of the Universities to respond appropriately to the demands of the society. During the X Plan, the
general development assistance to an individual University is available on the basis of the outlay determined and communicated to the University. Two-third of the outlay is released based on the procedure indicated in the X Plan guidelines. However, one-third of the outlay will finally be decided on the basis of performance radars of the individual University during IX Plan. The outlays determined and communicated to Universities shall be in operation for the period 1.4.2002 to 31.3.2007. Also, the period of the scheme / programme will end with the plan period.

During the second year of X Plan, the UGC developed development/ performance radars for universities on three aspects viz. academic, research and governance. Based on scores, the performance linked grant will be released to universities.

Under Development (plan) Assistance, the UGC will assist each eligible University for the following items:
i) Staff-Both teaching and non-teaching / technical staff.
ii) Equipment for laboratories, special office equipment and modern teaching aids, and for the repair of major
equipment.
iii) Books and Journals
iv) Buildings – Construction of new buildings and major repairs / renovation of old buildings.
v) Campus development – for construction of roads, electricity, water and sewerage lines, plantation and
development of the land etc.
vi) Health Centre
vii) Students amenities – such facilities may include canteen, recreation room, counselling centres for students, etc..
viii) Jubilee Grant – (for completing 25,50,75,100 and 150 years) is provided over and above the X Plan allocation.
ix) Programme Development.

As regards the Central Universities and UGC maintained deemed to be Universities, they must seek prior approval of the UGC for introduction of new courses-self financing or other wise. They may also ensure that the
degree proposed to be awarded is one among the specified degrees duly approved by the UGC. The UGC assistance for the items mentioned above is on cent-percent basis and also the Commission decided to provide cen-percent assistance for all type of building projects so as to enable the Universities to complete these projects within the stipulated time.
The section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, provides that an Institution of Higher Education, other than a university, which is doing the work of very high standard in a specific area can be declared as an Institution Deemed to be University. Such Institutions enjoy the academic status and privileges of Universities and are able to strengthen their activities in the field of their specialization, rather than becoming a multi faculty University of a general type. During the fourth year of X Plan i.e. 2005-06, on the recommendations of the Committee, the Govt. of India, MHRD notified the following 7 institutions as Deemed to be University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956. The total number of Deemed to be Universities as on 31st March, 2006 has risen to 101.

Development (Plan) Grants under general development scheme are being provided to 25 Deemed Universities (Appendix XI). Development assistance may be utilized for consolidation of existing infrastructure and for modernizing teaching, research and administration as also for extension and field outreach activities to meet the changing needs of the universities to respond appropriately to the demands of the society. Under Development assistance, the UGC assists each University/ Institute for the items like – Staff, Equipment, Books and Journals, Buildings, Campus Development, Health Centre, Student amenities etc. During the financial year 2005-06, plan assistance including assistance provided under various plan schemes / programmes amounting to Rs. 29.35 crores was paid to meet development expenditure of 39 Deemed to be Universities. The details of assistance provided to Deemed to be Universities are indicated in the Table 3.4.

The UGC has been providing Non-plan grants to 12 Deemed Universities. Out of 12 universities, 9 Deemed Universities are receiving 100% Non-Plan grant towards salaries and allowances, retirement benefits and non-salary. The components under non-salary are : consumables, electricity charges, water charges, property tax, House Tax, contingencies, maintenance/repairs of buildings and other expenses. Based on the discussion with the Registrars/Finance Officers with the UGC authorities at the time finalization of Budget Estimates/Revised Estimates the amount
to be released to the Universities are finalized. The remaining three Deemed Universities viz. Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali and Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Viswa Mahavidyalaya, Kanchipuram are receiving Fixed/Block grant @ Rs.400.00 lakhs per annum, Rs.300.00 lakhs per annum and Rs.7.00 lakhs per annum respectively. Non-plan assistance of Rs.87.95 crores including the assistance provided under various non-plan schemes/programmes was paid to 37 Deemed to be Universities. The details of assistance provided to Deemed to be Universities are indicated in the Table 3.5.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

The 2009 ASER survey has been released. There's lots of data on academic performance - MP joins the list of states where girls outperform boys and Gujarat continued to deteriorate.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

vera_k wrote:
negi wrote:Sibal is playing with fire

Hindi should be taught in all schools: Sibal

Once other contentious issues settle down I am sure any extra pressure or arm twisting from center on this gimmick will lead to another ruckus.
I think this is meant for the DPS type CBSE schools where students have the option to not learn a single Indian language.
Have to agree with Negi here ... Kapil Sibal will end up fanning more flames with this statement ...
also, Hindi is compulsary in CBSE till 10th Std. It is optional after that.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^^

Correction for the quote above. It is the IB schools where students have the option of not learning an Indian language. Those schools makes good sense for kids of expats relocating to India, but may be that's what's got his goat.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

From Nature India
>>>>

doi:10.1038/ nindia.2009. 365; Published online 11 January 2010

Interview
Need young scientists to lead: C N R Rao

Chintamani Nagesa Ramachandra Rao, honored with Germany's August-Wilhelm- von-Hofmann Medal for chemistry last month, has been reappointed chairman of Science Advisory Council to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (SAC-PM). Author of over 40 books and 1500 research papers Rao, 76, says reading, publishing and doing original research -- not repetitive work -- keeps his mind, and therefore body, fit. "My hero is Nobel Laureate Neville Mott who published four papers at the age of 92 when he died," he told Nature India in a characteristically candid interview. Rao is professor at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Science in Bangalore, which he founded.
K. S. Jayaraman

Q. What is your priority as second-time chairman of SAC-PM?
A. Upgrading quality of Indian science through various strategies is top priority. If we do not act immediately, India will sink. At our very first meeting I have asked SAC members to come with suggestions.
Q. What is wrong with science in India?
A. Quality is declining despite funding increase. Most of our research is neither in frontier areas nor relevant. This cannot go on for long. We lack young leaders to take up senior positions.
Q. But a recent Thomson-Reuters study predicted India could overtake G8 nations in research productivity in five to 10 years?
A. Predictions based solely on growth rate of papers published are misleading. We do publish a lot in chemistry but look at their quality. This is true of all science. In terms of H-index (that is based on the scientist's publications and the number of citations they receive) Indian scientists are not doing well. Simply put, there are very few outstanding Indians in science who are respected world-wide and have made an impact on their subjects. In five years, China will have many high H-index scientists given the large number of papers from its scientists. For instance, in 2009 the highest number of papers in nanotechnology globally and largest in citation were from China. In India, there is neither number nor quality.
Q. What does China have that India lacks?
A. China has created institutions with big political backing for specified goals. Chinese have national pride. How many of us are proud to be Indians? Second, I do not see enough dedicated scientists like in early days. Old timers are working hard but the value system of today's youngsters has changed. A boy of 18 wants to be a millionaire before the age of 25. He does not think of becoming the best scientist or engineer.
Q. Is brain-drain a reason for lack of quality research output?
A. Brain-drain today is not because of people going abroad. The main loss is internal - well-trained engineering or science graduates going into management or business or joining R&D centres of multinational companies. In this process, the cream of the country is lost. In last 15 years, information technology, offering high salaries, has sucked away all talent producing a whole bunch middle class Indians. Bangalore alone has added 300,000 of them. That is why Bangalore is such a mess.
Q. Aren't the foreign R&D centres contributing to Indian science?
A. They create jobs but do not help Indian science. They do not interact with us. Six of my PhDs joined General Electric research centre in Bangalore. Internal brain drain is most serious and is one reason why we have to educate and train more people to balance the loss.
Q. The new IITs and research institutions will take care of that?
A. Yes. But what worries me is that most of them are being set up without much planning, campus, or faculty. We recommended three IITs and I do not know how three became eight. There is a move to ask foreign universities to open campuses in India. We should not allow all foreign universities. Only the best should come here, if possible in collaboration with Indian universities. Hiring foreign scientists as faculty is fine but not as heads of institutions.
Q. Are you considering any plan to get back Indian scientists from abroad?
A. Pakistan now has a scheme wherein it supports the education of its citizens abroad and brings them back. We are planning to initiate some scheme of this sort very shortly. Lot of non-resident Indians want to come on part-time basis and we will facilitate this.
Q. What is going to be your strategy to promote quality science?
A. I am thinking of new ways of funding research. We will go out of the way to recognise and fund good work. Second, we will identify a few areas for focused research, invite proposals through advertisement and fund competent people from anywhere in India. Indians have a tendency to give more importance to mega projects in atomic energy and space agencies because they are the ones that guzzle money. Small science in relevant areas is what we require.
Q. What structural reforms do you intend to introduce?
A. Presently each science organisation is insular having no basic links or interaction with each other. Major projects involving huge funds - such as nuclear power expansion or missions to the Moon and Mars - are proposed by concerned agencies and approved by planning commission. I am going to propose the creation of a high-powered group from broader segments that will examine every major science project objectively before approving funding. I also want to bring in realism and real targets for science. For instance the DAE's target of 60 gigawatt nuclear power capacity by 2035 from the existing 4.7 gigawatt seems highly unrealistic.
Q. Any other proposal that will affect working scientists?
A. Rather than a permanent or secure job, I believe in contract system for scientists. Based on our suggestion, a system for performance- based rewards for all scientists is being worked out by the Department of Science and Technology. In principle it has been accepted by finance people. I also believe that cost benefit analysis of our science agencies is needed. Till now that made no sense as our investment was small. Now that we are putting a lot of money in science we should demand quality. I would like major research projects to be reviewed properly if necessary by international teams.
Q. What are the research priorities for India?
A. With so many diseases prevalent in India, biomedical research requires major strengthening. Energy and climate research are extremely important and my third priority is advanced materials technology - an area in which our research and industry contribution is very poor.
Q. What is your forecast about Indian science?
A. Frankly I am a worried man. I wonder if, in my lifetime, I will see a different India that is number one in science. May be the new generation of scientists from our new research institutes will make that happen.
animesharma
BRFite

Post by animesharma »

Four-year medical course unveiled to bridge urban-rural gap

>aim to bridge the urban-rural gap in medical services.
>The four-year course, Bachelor of Rural Medicine and Surgery (BRMS), is aimed at meeting the public health challenges in rural areas.
>“BRMS will supplement and strengthen the existing 5-year MBBS medical programme,“
>MCI also plans to set up medical colleges in 300 districts in the country where there are currently no medical colleges.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

With all due respect to Prof Rao, most of his suggestions are not going to produce quality work. Twenty years ago his lab was quite famous for being a slave labor camp. The 1500 papers suggest that as ample proof. How many papers did Einstein, Raman or Bose publish to be creative and counted as path-breaking.

Contract system of hiring young ambitious slaves will only lead to more people who control the money spigot spinning more control of the workforce for their own ends. Bad idea period.

The problems I see with Indian science is that many old hags still hang around making policy and with deep influence. If you do not let the young ones have their space to prosper, one ends up going in circles trying to fix a self created problem. How many US Nobel laureates control or shape research goals of institutions they are part of or individuals who work there. The problem is a leadership style issue within India, not lack of imaginative or creative minds.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Slaving for the Commonwealth

Huge holes in the education system right in the capital territory.