Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
rakall
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by rakall »

K_Rohit wrote:Upgraded flogger in action at Vayushakti. One of the first pics of this. (since its carrying a PGM)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... 772519.JPG

Edit: looks like rohit and rakall beat me to it.
The particular kit on the PGM is a Israeli Griffin LGB kit on the standard 1000lb dumbers.. Wish we will also see Paveway kitted 1000lb's too being flown by Mig27...

IIRC - DarinII Jags could carry both with Griffin & Paveway kits with the Litening LDP
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Kakarat wrote:An-32 bombing think it is from FPD
this is more like it! so something must have come out of that previous FPD after all.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

karkarat

thats neat

Was the previous FPDs in the night??

I thought this was the first one
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Surya wrote:karkarat

thats neat

Was the previous FPDs in the night??

I thought this was the first one

Thats just the flares from CMDS..

In the picture on Livefist/Chindits (An32 tail number K2697) -- you can see the white attchment near the fuselage covering the "sena" part - thats the CMDS.
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/02/ex ... s-gun.html
looks like a scene from 1970s bollywood movie on IAF with lots of migs ,

It feels very awkward and sorry,when one realizes that things are changing very slowly , :(

Govt baboos are acting very slow in the procurement process in one of the most important areas of our national defence , in a well planned way ,influenced by some....!!
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

rakall

the photo does not seem to be daylight??

I understand flares and all - but it seems to be twilight

I thought all previous FPDs were in the day??
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Surya wrote:Rahul

the An 32 would not release it in a dive.

of course I'm aware of that. if you read carefully what I said was that the bombs won't have been arranged in that fashion unless they were dropped in a dive. (which the an-32 clearly can't do)
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

rakall wrote:
those aren't just flares.....there are some other things along with it too.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Bob V wrote:
rakall wrote:
those aren't just flares.....there are some other things along with it too.
The specks of light with white smoke trail are what I meant by CMDS flares... which I meant to convey it was not a night run..

if you mean the other things attached to the bombs - thats a tail retarder unit. Sort of like a small parachute which are still opening up..
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

No boss - I am not going by flares etc

just the sky and light around - does not seem a daylight run and I did not think previous FPDs had a night run.
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/02/ia ... -this.html

IMHO,the most amazing pics (of IAF) taken in recent times.
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

rakall wrote: The specks of light with white smoke trail are what I meant by CMDS flares... which I meant to convey it was not a night run..

if you mean the other things attached to the bombs - thats a tail retarder unit. Sort of like a small parachute which are still opening up..
those things I know, sir...
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Surya wrote:No boss - I am not going by flares etc

just the sky and light around - does not seem a daylight run and I did not think previous FPDs had a night run.
The Firepower pic a couple of pages ago lists times between 17:23 to 17:28, so it was probably setting sun/twilight time for the FPD.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

tsarkar - thanks for that detailed reply. What is the purpose Tail Unit 111?

Great pics! Some observations:

- First pictures I have seen of Mi-17s with gun pods:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... 732114.JPG

- Note new ECM pods in the nose of MiG-27UPG. Also new laser rangefinder:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... 784497.JPG
Compare with the older picture:
http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/pix/mig27ml4.jpg
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

rohitvats wrote:Wow!!!!!!!Amazing pics....only if IAF learns a bit of PR and comes out with posters+calendars with these beautiful pics....tose Bison pics have just gone to my desktop......
they do come out with these calendars. I was able to lay my hands on one IAF calendar via my uncle who works in the Fin Min and these are large sized ones with glossy poster sized pictures. Absolutely fabulous pics in that calendar, including 2 Mirages flying together, then 2 Mirages refuelling frm a Midas, Embraer EMB-145, 2 Bisons flying, 2 Jags over the Himalayas, a MiG-29 taking off in full burner, a Lancer, Mi-35 and a Sarang Dhruv. And all those pics were also by Wing Cmdr R S Chauhan. He really knows how to take pics !
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Aditya G wrote:tsarkar - thanks for that detailed reply. What is the purpose Tail Unit 111?
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... b.jpg.html
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Kartik wrote: ........<snip>....they do come out with these calendars. I was able to lay my hands on one IAF calendar via my uncle who works in the Fin Min and these are large sized ones with glossy poster sized pictures........<snip>.....
Kartik garu, that is exactly my point. You need an uncle/brother/acquantance to get hold of these gems. Hope these were available in Gangaram's/Sapna book house.....that is what i was alluding to....me too used to have lot of this stuff once upon a time..all through the route that you mentioned.....and yes, there is some serious talent for aviation photography in IAF....there was another officer (do not remember his name) whose name was synonymous with brilliant pics that IAF used to come out with.........

Now answer this serious question: What rockets (seem to unguided ones) is this Mig firing? Seem to be some high caliber rockets...not your usual podded ones

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... firing.jpg
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^
s-24 rockets, as mentioned in the caption. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-24_rocket

it's one of the few rockets which is large enough to be visible to the naked eye. every vayushakti there is at least one image which shows the mig-21 firing these monstrous rockets.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Rahul M wrote:^^
s-24 rockets, as mentioned in the caption. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-24_rocket

it's one of the few rockets which is large enough to be visible to the naked eye. every vayushakti there is at least one image which shows the mig-21 firing these monstrous rockets.
Thank you.....need to concentrate more on details than just oogle at the a/c pics...... :oops:
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Rahul M wrote:
Aditya G wrote:tsarkar - thanks for that detailed reply. What is the purpose Tail Unit 111?
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... b.jpg.html
"Retarded" => The An-32 picture might just be real 8)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ahem, it says non-retarded tail unit, that too for 1000 lbers. :wink: I don't see how cargo bay exit is possible w/o the parachutes and platforms. the profile is all wrong too for a rear exit.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Surya wrote:No boss - I am not going by flares etc

Could it be as simple as an underexposed picture?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rahul M wrote:ahem, it says non-retarded tail unit, that too for 1000 lbers. :wink: I don't see how cargo bay exit is possible w/o the parachutes and platforms. the profile is all wrong too for a rear exit.
What puzzles me is the way the bombs seem to have rolled out of the bay oriented with the noses pointing in the right direction.

I know that the cargo bay has a roller to help move palettes, but it would make more sense to keep the bombs stacked in the cargo bay oriented transverse to the longitudinal axis of the cargo bay - side by side to be rolled out - in which case they would come out of the bay sideways and then tumble in the air before their vanes oriented the nose in the right direction. That does not appear to be happening. It look too neat and too contrived.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Aditya,

Most unguided bombs have two types of tail units, an aerodynamic one or a retarded one. Aerodynamic, among other uses, improves ballistic flight profile. Retarded, among other uses, allows high speed runs. It is a very common IAF/IN kit based on British design.

Added later - didnt notice Rahul had replied. The poster explains it better

An-32 would typically use a retarded bomb, since it doesnt have high speed and climb rate, so chances are the more aerodynamic bomb have a flight path in close proximity to the aircraft with possible safety issues. Also, retarded bomb will allow An-32 distance itself from ground zero.

Not my area of expertise, I dont know whether An-32 has a bomb sight or flight computer, but all transport planes have some kind of flight computer mechanism, that taking into consideration wind, speed, altitude, tells the pilot and loadmaster when to drop troops/pallets. The green/red lights used by loadmasters are probably activated by this mechanism. A fuselage/palletized bomb could be dropped with reasonable accuracy using this mechanism, since its quite similar to a cargo pallet.

An aerodynamic bomb means a lot of confidence on part of the pilot/crew.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

My bad on the "retarded" part.

Ok, finally found a real picture of An-32 loaded out with free fall bombs 8)

Wonder where the Harpy is carried?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Promo video on VAyushakti
http://chhindits.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-post.html

- Pretty slick short, visuals made about the same time the above photos were taken
- Garuds have a new para 'wing' - dagger with wings.
- At 1:15 an An-32 is shown dropping 'things'. doesnt look like paratroops, theyare being dropped in a nose up - climbing attitude (See the horizon).. not supplies.. could be the real thing with bombs
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Hmmm the IAF method is probably better for the sheet tonnage that can be delivered. The standard payload is pretty miniscule:

Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Final Farewell to Sopore Heroes
GUN SALUTE TO IMTIAZ ALI
AshokS
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshokS »

All this talk of the An-32 dropping bombs...here is a lovely picture of one flying over somewhere in India yesterday. I took this shot just as I was leaving the area...

Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

The Mig-29K Induction galleries are up.
We need to caption and resort them but heck,take a look anyways...
Will try to sort things soon.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... kPanthers/

Kapil
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Craig Alpert wrote:Final Farewell to Sopore Heroes
GUN SALUTE TO IMTIAZ ALI
Are they using the SLR??? i thought the army had moved on to the INSAS family???
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
SLR is still used for ceremonial purposes.
Natt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Natt »

Any idea if the military uses blanks or real bullets for such ceremonial firing.
The last thing we need is a injury or worse from a stray bullet.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

They dont use any bullets or blanks - what they have is a small electronic speaker with an Israeli MEMS-based echo chamber inside the barrel which simulates a gun shot along with the echoing.
AshokS
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshokS »

I saw an IL-76 ? large transport with a refueling probe land yesterday, somewhere in the east region.... I am guessing it was a air to air refueling tanker. Lots of IAF activity in the past 3 days, from IL-76s to An-32s. There is a military airbase hardly 30 miles away, but these transports are landing at a civilian one.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Raja Bose wrote:They dont use any bullets or blanks - what they have is a small electronic speaker with an Israeli MEMS-based echo chamber inside the barrel which simulates a gun shot along with the echoing.
:shock: I didn't know that! Thanks for telling. Thats the reason there is such loud echo when they do the 3-Volley salute! How long have they been using this?
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

atreya wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:They dont use any bullets or blanks - what they have is a small electronic speaker with an Israeli MEMS-based echo chamber inside the barrel which simulates a gun shot along with the echoing.
:shock: I didn't know that! Thanks for telling. Thats the reason there is such loud echo when they do the 3-Volley salute! How long have they been using this?
He is obviously pulling your leg. :wink: Think about it, a MEMS based "echo chamber" and a tiny speaker ??? Seriously! :D
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

AshokS wrote:I saw an IL-76 ? large transport with a refueling probe land yesterday, somewhere in the east region.... I am guessing it was a air to air refueling tanker.
Which way was the probe pointing, forward or backward? Or perhaps you mean refuelling pod? :-?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

atreya wrote:
:rotfl: