Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
HarishV
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by HarishV »

DDM correspondant on *NDTV* looks at a leaflet and says...

Soon we will have the Mirage 27's and the Sooo's [apparently referring to the Sukhoi's].. :rotfl: & major :roll:

If there is one branch where you can do half a job and still get paid for it, its definitely 'DDM journalism'...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

day & dusk phase is over, night phase will commence shortly.

so far:
searcher-II feed made available to DD - it is easily able to track moving ac below it
surya kirans
sarang
1 x Jag drops LGB from 13,000ft
2 x Mi35 rocket attack on tanks
1 x Mi17 gSh gun pod attack on troops
1 x Mi17 with Garud launches gun attack via windows
1 x Mi17 drops a garud gypsy which drives to target and places charges, before returning, "radar" blows
up a few mins later
heavy cargo pallet drop from IL76
2 x AN32 drop 15 para/garud/marcos each
1 x MKI aeriel display (same one in which president flew recently) - flat spin, tail slide, vertical
charlie, very slow tvc fwd flight ....

I think night phase will have some serious heavy bombing. IN chief looks absent, must be busy
with the bay of bengal exercise. president patil is there. pretty solid bundobust with band playing
and white liveried staff serving tea and snacks to all.

DD cameras are much better compared to 10 yrs ago when it was shaky footage of clouds of smoke
in the distance, here it was able to follow the LGB all the way down....LGB seems to oscillate a bit
around its midpoint like see-saw...but did score a direct hit.

searcher footage from above also makes the targets and hits very clear.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Night phase - pls save this post for future fight club sessions.

to aid viewers, ac had nav & anti collision lights on and released flares to indicate weapons drop.
the compere explained this would ofcourse not be done in real life.

target 12 - enemy radar and C3I outfit
224 sq "warlords" 1 x Jag Darin2
4 x 1000lb CCIP
500 ft level drop

target 13 - power grid yard
30 sq "Rhinos" 1 x Su30MKI
N x 1800kg bomb
3000ft level drop
(seemed like 6-10 explosions on searcher feed)

target 14 - C3I node
32 sq "thunderbird" 1 x Bison
2 x 250kg bomb

target 15 - armour colomn
224 sq "warlords" 1 x Jag Darin2
4 x 1000lb CCIP
3000ft, 20' dive

target 16 - C3I node
7 sq "Battleaxe" Mirage2K-2 seater
1 x Paveway LGB, self lased from LDP
15000ft level
30 seq drop time to impact

target 17 - Terrorist camp picked up by UAV
30 sq - "Rhinos" - 1 x Su30 MKI
26 x 250lb bomb :eek: (must be the "claw rack" thing)
3000ft level - this was definitely the biggest hit... a brown khaki job

target 18 - Mech convoy
12 sq "Striking Yaks" 1 x AN32
10 x 1000lb :twisted:
1800 ft x 400 kmph ingress and level drop, egress at 450kmph
announcer said they "specialized in bombing" :shock:

finally a 3 plane display formation Embraer Legacy, AN32 and IL76 from
Agra, Palam and Nagpur who flew at 1500ft line astern and released
huge number of flares

unlike the oil drum explosions used in movies, real explosives create very little flame
just a dense cloud of black smoke and dust. no napalm was used in this exercise, usually
they let a stick of bisons drop napalm for show but not this time...maybe napalm is
outlawed or something...
Last edited by Singha on 28 Feb 2010 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I hope one selfless soul recorded it for us :((
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hopefully Shiv was on the job and not playing golf and guzzling beer at the KSGA clubhouse saying "who me?" :lol:

if all else fails, hopefully shiv aroor would be able to obtain the footage ...
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Later, theatre commander was informed about the only partial destruction of targe 2 and target 15 - thru uav feed.

a su mki is sent to destroy the remains of target 2 and 15.

later dhruv arrives with a messenger from garuda force runs to the podium and delivers a pic taken by su to be presented to the president. ACM P V Nayak presents the pic and a memento to the Prez.

National Anthem and Call it Vayu Shakti 2010
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

@Surya , i have recorded it but not full ,suryakiran display ,little sarang display ,sukhoi 30 acrobats and the night bombing i will upload them later and put it you tube by tomorrow , ok here is the problem whole night bombing has taken up 300 mb ,what to do ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

caught the No7 sqdn mirage strike onwards. program ended with

night landing of ALH (sarang livery) on a spot lit up by a Mi-17 with searchlight. the dhruv carried a garud force Fl Lt who presented to the ACM a framed picture of the dignitaries taken earlier by the mki during a fly-by.

between the embraer/An-32/IL-76 fly-by (I think it was the IL-78 btw) and the dhruv landing two targets that had not been destroyed completely (BDA by searcher) were hit again by two mki's with a large number of 250kg bombs (I forgot the count).
the commentator said it was an UAV assisted fighter strike.(UAFS)

from whatever little I got this was an very impressive demo. the way the aircrafts were easily visible on the searchers flying above was incredible !

karan ji, aapke munh mein ghee sakkar !
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

karan

a thousand thanks

only care about bombing runs and searcher feeds :) (need to correlate to non public info from few yrs ago)

hopefully we full bombing runs - all the ones Singha mentioned (day, dusk , night) - aerobatics is for the civilians :mrgreen:

every MB is valuable - so don't lose it :) - probably would split it and upload it one of the free ftp sites

unless others have better idea
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

karan_mc wrote:@Surya , i have recorded it but not full ,suryakiran display ,little sarang display ,sukhoi 30 acrobats and the night bombing i will upload them later and put it you tube by tomorrow , ok here is the problem whole night bombing has taken up 300 mb ,what to do ?
Can you split it using compression software like winrar (with out splitting the video) and upload it in file sharing website like rapidshare
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

No damn announcement from DD the buffoons! Anyhow I got some beautiful night pictures - aircraft seen by the light of flares from DD. Got some other stuff off both DD and Headlines Today. I am sure there will be more. Can Vishnu be far behind? If anyone finds out about any new telecast please tell me.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

This time even the Cluster bombs (BL755??) were not used
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Headlines today link 6 parts..

clicky
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

weren't cluster bombs going to get outlawed or something? also, their primary effective usage is against troop convoys in open areas - rather than 500kg iron dropped down the musharraf of a cowering jehadi... which is far more fashionable these days
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Lalmohan wrote:weren't cluster bombs going to get outlawed or something? also, their primary effective usage is against troop convoys in open areas - rather than 500kg iron dropped down the musharraf of a cowering jehadi... which is far more fashionable these days
Convention on Cluster Munitions
India did not sign the treaty
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

India is not a signatory to ban cluster bombs..

Griggin LGB :twisted:
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Key points:

1. Jags dropping a Griffin LGB (I wasn't sure if IAF had Griffins too)
2. An-32 dropping 10*1000lb bombs
3. MKI 26*250kg NTU (how many sorties ? ) :eek:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes Negi - there is a old Su30 photo on BR from the bottom showing the "Claw racks" holding the small bombs. that time I had counted around 20 possible, but newer racks may permit more. and looks like
250 KG not Lb per the board. 6.5 tons in a single sortie.

the "partially damaged" targets and 2nd strike must have been part of the program to show the C3I loop and response cycle. theres always going to be partially damaged targets left to beat up 8)

the part I loved was the searcher tracking the surya kirans and the MKI doing aerobatics. the depth
perception of how high the a/c is flying was not there but the a/c themselves were quite easily in focus.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... /SB121.jpg

looking at pic, it can carry 8 small bombs on each wing (4 +4 on the inboard pylons) for a total of 16.
the rest 10 are carried below the fuselage. even on outermost (3rd pylon) it might carry 1 each and 8 under fuselage.

:lol:
Last edited by Singha on 28 Feb 2010 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

What are BETAB? Just saw 4 being fired by Rambha, they deployed parachute and then fired a rocket to dig deep in to ground.

Ahhh thanks!
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

sunilUpa wrote:What are BETAB? Just saw 4 being fired by Rambha, they deployed parachute and then fired a rocket to dig deep in to ground.

Ahhh thanks!
BetAB-150/-250/-500 Penetration Bombs (Russian Federation), Bombs - Unguided
www.janes.com wrote:This family of penetration bombs was developed to give Russian and allied air forces a capability of attacking concrete and hardened structures such as airfield runways, concrete shelters, dams, sluices and other solid objects. Before the 1990s, the only known bombs in this family were the BetAB-150 DS and the BetAB-250. However, in the early 1990s limited details were released on two larger and more up to date bombs designated BetAB-500 and BetAB-500 ShP. The designation letters BetAB stand for betonoboynaya aviatsionnaya bomba meaning 'concrete-piercing aircraft bomb'. The designation numbers refer to the bomb size category, and any further letters signify special applications. The BetAB-500 ShP was primarily developed for cratering airfield runways and is delivered at low level and high speed. It is thought that this bomb is rocket-assisted which could account for the ShP designation. All the bombs are designed to withstand the high g forces encountered by combat manoeuvres of high-speed attack aircraft, and are fitted with standard Russian spaced suspension lugs allowing them to be carried under the wings or fuselage of some aircraft, or in the bomb bays of larger bombers. The bombs are believed to be cleared for carriage on MiG-21 'Fishbed', MiG-27 'Flogger', MiG-29 'Fulcrum', Su-22 'Fitter', Su-24 'Fencer', Su-25 'Frogfoot', Su-27 'Flanker', Tu-95 'Bear', Tu-16 'Badger', Tu-22 'Blinder' and Tu-22M 'Backfire' aircraft of the Russian and allied air forces.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ dont we have the durandal for the jaguar fleet?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

How many times will Aroor say "blistering" "unabashed" :rotfl:
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Surya wrote:How many times will Aroor say "blistering" "unabashed" :rotfl:

Such a irritating commentary! can't these guys try to relate what's on TV..?
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

i have tried some sites, which can host such huge files ,but i am not that confident on the Desi Babu broadband to many disconnections happen ,i will try anyways , night bombing is not clear we can only see targets exploding nor aircraft approach , UAV live feed to DD was great where professional
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Its as bad as the DD commentary of Republic day in some ways

god that was painful - watched the rest on mute. We mujahids do not the stupid commentary :)
Last edited by Surya on 28 Feb 2010 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

karan, try ifile.it if others don't work. don't try rapidshare, they give very limited download options and stupid download limits.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

couple of take aways from the above 6 part HT video!!!!
1) The successful use of AWACS signifies that the two month time required to get the data link linked, with aircraft and uav's seem to have happen.
2) Keeping true with it's motto "Touch the Sky with Glory" the Sarang team Tangoes the sky with ALH Dhruv. Glad to see even after a Controlled crash landing, the Dhruvs are touching glory.
3) Look for the offensive and defensive capabilities to make use of "lessons learned" and AAR (after action Review) to the fullest. Case in Point, (second round of bombing ~ look for the IAF to improve on this feature.) Definitely will avoid that at all cost, will finish their targets in the FIRST run itself. Also look for some improvements in their weapons and maintenance aspects of it.
4) The night capability along with UAV assisted Fighter Strike is something they will further improve upon, by integrating more features (i.e. jamming, commint, sigint, thermal and IR capability)
5) It will be interesting to see how WELL the IAF co-ordinates this Strike attack (day/dusk/night) with OTHER services (SF, Army and Navy). Working in Tandem with ALL of them, (communicating and dissemination of information and live feed with ALL other services) will be something that will be of utmost interest to all involved. Look for further improvements in sector.
6) One thing that I DO NOT LIKE is the decision by the GoI to broadcast their strike formations and capabilities live. I know such a decision HAS BEEN APPROVED by the GoI so obviously they have thought about this, but still this gives the enemy an insight on "what to expect" when they know a strike from IAF is eminent. I would rather keep all our cards to ourselves rather than showcasing it to all but that's just my personal rantings... I'm sure Jingo's here would appreciate the wet dreams they get when they get to see the live fire power of the IAF.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Sarang team

Live feed of Sukhoi su 30 doing 200km from UAV

Thermal image feed of IL-76 flying at night

Sorry for the poor picture quality DD feeds in my cable is really bad but video is ok at day
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

seems like Chankian Indian Air Force sent the An-32 bomber during night to make BRFites life a bit more difficult (in their guessing games)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I was wondering about the very precise and closely spaced arrival of night sorties to strike the 7 targets, this ndtv snippet explains it: it makes for a very obvious difference in strike density.

For the first time, the AWACS was used to monitor the mammoth exercise
while an unmanned aerial vehicle streamed live video images of the target destruction.

In addition to 70 aircraft, which participated in the exercise, 30 aircraft were kept on standby, in both air and on the ground.

---
I tried hard to make out the bombs from AN32 but it started dropping flares only *after* releasing
bombs so could just see the open doors at the back and flares going out from the wingtips. seemed
to be in a shallow climb. whether that was typical for egress or needed to "roll the stuff down the ramp" I dont know.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

TV9 clip is way better..
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

TV 9 clip on you tube. MiG 21, Jags and Su-30. Anyone catch the MiG 29 supersonic run?

nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

and the Mig-29s Sonic Boom was a nice way to start proceedings .. \m/ :twisted:
Mark Walpole
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mark Walpole »

i dunno y but for some reason the commentary at all these armed forces events sound like the tombola numbers being read out at army parties....just a view no diss to the commentators :D
Last edited by Gerard on 28 Feb 2010 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: username changed to conform with forum guidelines
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Some doubts. I dont know why the Headlines Today report keeps calling it Desert Storm. It already has a name! And the reporter at one point said the helicopters demonstrated a BVR attack. DDM?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

americanitis. a dhoti would be called by its american name if available.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

At about 07:10 one can clearly see a MKI drop a guided bomb (KAB-500 LGB ?) which hits the designated mark.