Bharat Rakshak

Consortium of Indian Defence Websites
It is currently 24 Apr 2014 06:30

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010 10:40 
BRF Oldie

Singha wrote:
why cant a shorter 200-300km type Shourya be quickly developed to replace prithvi? its cansister launched, solid fuel and hence doesnt need any handling / prep time before firing.

This should be done with priority. When Shourya was tested, I had asked the same question. DRDO has demonstrated the capability, its up to user to come forward with requirements.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010 10:58 
BRF Oldie

^^^ From the admittedly flimsy base of “two stage solid fuelled” perhaps that has happened and the PDV is just such an evolution of Shourya.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010 11:56 
BRFite

Quote:
why cant a shorter 200-300km type Shourya be quickly developed to replace prithvi? its cansister launched, solid fuel and hence doesnt need any handling / prep time before firing.

I think that has got to do with the fact that we already have significant numbers in the inventory already built up - not easy to just replace them. Besides, the forces would have already trained for the constraints; I think we will have to wait till end of life for the inventory before we start seeing some sort of replacements IMHO

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010 12:21 
Forum Moderator

it cannot be a overnight replacement process, but since only a couple of missile regiments run with prithvi, one by one they can shift to Shourya-Lite
as the test program concludes and remaining shelf life of prithvi rounds can be expended using as targets for PAD/AAD et al. ofcourse there will be some waste but such is progress - it will improve the resiliency and effectiveness of our missile regiments manifold, cut down on vehicles and people needed - which can formate into more shourya regiments.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010 12:35 
BRFite

Singha wrote:

I apologize for i dont have sufficient knowledge in missile systems but,

why cant the shourya itself be used in a 200-300 km range ? I mean if we adjust the trajectory of the missile then we can hit in the 200-300 range from the missile's 700KM range ?

Am i wrong or are we talking about something else ?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010 13:12 
Forum Moderator

^^ yes it can be used, but cost will be an issue. shorter the range, more numbers we need.

also a TEL might be able to carry two shourya-Lite while one Shourya.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75